[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to do a proper upshift?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

File: tachy_and_temp2_tooned_580px.png (23KB, 580x300px) Image search: [Google]
tachy_and_temp2_tooned_580px.png
23KB, 580x300px
So I drive a car with a 1.4 tdi engine.
>>Let's say I accelerate all the way until redline.
>>Take my foot off the gas
>>I press the clutch pedal all the way down.
>>Shift to the next gear as quickly as possible.
>>"Drop the clutch" or de-press the clutch pedal as quickly as possible.
>>Get on the gas again
Is this how it's supposed to be done?
If I follow those step when upshifting, my car jerks forward when de-pressing the clutch pedal. My observation is that the revs don't drop quickly enough to accommodate for the higher gear.
I realize my car is in no way meant to be quick, but technically, why do the revs drop so slowly?
Are all cars like this?
What is the proper way to upshift in a car like mine? What about in a performance car?
>>
>>>Let's say I accelerate all the way until redline.

Let's not.
Remember you're driving a diesel shitbox which loses its steam after 3500rpm because >loldiesel
>>
Also, heavy flywheel.
>>
The rate at which revs go up depends on the engine's power vs rotating mass. Diesels in general have more rotating mass because the combustion process is less controlled.

The rate at which revs go down depends on the same thing, but is usually reduced for emissions reasons.

If you upshift and the car jerks forward you shifted too fast or kept the gas pedal depressed.
>>
>>11426789
for my car, it work jerk or anything weird if I balance the accelerator and the clutch at the same time.

like rev it like bam bam bam in first, then when you shift, you press clutch, move to 2nd (but not too fast because that'll hurt my syncros) and release the clutch in a fast, but cool motion, but before I release it ALL the way, I start pressing the accelerator.

balancing act. but its different for different cars
>>
jesus christ you hate your car.

don't slam it into gear and drop the clutch you're damaging the syncros, clutch, and probably causing more engine wear as well.

be gentle to your baby.
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 237x263px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 237x263px
>>11426789
Not OP but for you guys that taught yourself shift what helped you the most? Should I look up some YouTube videos? Just yolo it when I buy my car? How do I not fuck it up and what are the most basic don'ts of driving stick

I want to join the masterrace
>>
I never go over 4500rpm in my 6200 rpm limit subaru :^) i hit redline only once in the last year :^)
>>
>>11426871
look up basics, watch youtube videos
buy the car
get it to a parking lot or other safe place
keep trying till you got it.
>>
File: 1415192534879.gif (981KB, 400x227px) Image search: [Google]
1415192534879.gif
981KB, 400x227px
>>11426807
>>11426817
Cool, so it's because of the heavy internals.

>>11426818
I'm no expert, but isn't the balancing thing with the gas and clutch, especially at higher revs, wearing out the clutch?
But if you have to press the gas pedal before you are done with shifting that means your revs fell too much.
If I just let-off the clutch really slowly the revs will match perfectly.

>>11426843
I baby it as much as I can. But I like doing things the optimal way. Just like when downshifting you blip the throttle to rev match and not rely on the clutch to do it, there has to be a way to not really on the clutch to do the rev-matching when upshifting.

Thanks for the information and friendly discussion!
>>
>>11426871
You need to put your car on N the rev it up like bambambam then select L for maximum burnouts
>>
File: Ov4cQIF.gif (2MB, 236x224px) Image search: [Google]
Ov4cQIF.gif
2MB, 236x224px
>>11426789
Its jerky because of the way your driving it so hard, also you probably come back into the turbo when you rev that high making the acceleration a bit more jerky.

>don't "drop the clutch" ease it on
>don't change gear as quickly as possible
>if your on the gas hard and in the turbo zone on a diesel it can be jerky
>>
>>11426912
Wtf is this bambambam bullshit will the car actually make an bambambam
>>
>>11426871
>what are the most basic

don't drop the clutch, be gentle with it
start in first, stop in second

Other than that, just like >>11426877 said : get a car, go on big parking lot, and practice starting, upshifting, downshifting and stopping. Something with a lot of low rpm torque is easier to drive
>>
>>11426917
Acceleration jerkiness is a whole different beast, I am talking about upshifting jerkiness. If I ease on most of the time the revs go past the shift point and then I have to wait for them to go up. Not optimal when I need to overtake as quickly as possible.
>>
>>11426932
Yes its the rev limiter at the redlinr that prevents the engine from revving faster or it would damage itself
>>
>>11426932
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoGKdQxg3rU
>>
>>11426973
Its prolly just the car you'll get used to it and you won't even notice doing it smoothly, play around with it to get it right
>>
>>11426973
Letting out the clutch is a two stage procedure. Bring clutch from fully depressed up to the bite zone. Let it mesh for a moment. Now let the clutch engage by letting it all the way out. Don't just drop the clutch.
>>
>>11426789
If you understood what your car was doing, you'd understand how stupid you sound right now. Use google and fuck off please
>>
File: 1415264054411.png (195KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
1415264054411.png
195KB, 400x388px
>>11427038
yeah, I just have to get used to the super slow revving engine.
>>
>>11426817
>Diesels in general have more rotating mass because the combustion process is less controlled.
no, a diesel may have more rotating mass.. because they may have heavier engine components / flywheel. Increasing mass is the only thing that can increase rotational mass.

>>11426803
/this. You want to shift up so that your new revs are in the meat of or your torque curve, which is probably pretty durn low.
>>
>>11426789
You have a diesel, diesel engines like to be short shifted
don't go to redline, find where its the end of its power band and shift there, going on higher RPMs is just wasting fuel instead of giving you more power
also why the fuck are you trying to upshift like a racing car on a shitty 1.4 tdi
>>
>>11428297

I wouldn't say short shifted outright. Like a gas engine, lugging it isn't doing it any good.

most Diesel engines I have driven had poor power (compared with the rest of the range ) until 20-25% of the rev range.

The 2.7 n/a hyundai diesel I use every now and then has good power from 25% - 75% of its range but is best above 50%.
>>
File: danny bonaduce.jpg (6KB, 171x251px) Image search: [Google]
danny bonaduce.jpg
6KB, 171x251px
>used to get a bit of jerking while upshifting
>started to drive smoothly overall
>no more jerking
>mfw
>>
>>11428343
well depends a lot of the engine and gearbox
the one I had was a old VW 1.6 diesel engine on a 1952 Jeep, so short shifting was a pretty good way to describe what you had to do to make that thing run
>>
>that feeling when no synchro because you have over 200k on your car
>>
>>11428403
just learn the timing and proper speed to shift, its not that hard
>>
>>11426789

I don't drive diesels, but in general, letting off the clutch too early like that is what is causing you to be jerky. However, riding the clutch is just as bad if not worse.

Be gentle with it.
>>
>>11426871
its just first that takes any sort of practice, all others are ez
>>
File: 1415126308890.jpg (13KB, 230x244px) Image search: [Google]
1415126308890.jpg
13KB, 230x244px
wow, completely forgot about thread.
Here are my engine specs: http://www.auto-data.net/en/?f=showCar&car_id=14133

Max power is at 4k, have a redline of 4.5k... so I really need to push her when overtaking.

Anyways, if anybody is curious, I am going to end up double-shifting when shifting up as well. It'll probably be easier on the synchros and it will slow my shifting enough to match the shift point, but not make me have to think if I spent enough time waiting.

Cheers.
>>
>>11428566
Fuck you are such a piece of shit

If you want to race around like a retard go fucking buy a sports car
>>
>>11428566
>wanting to run with a car that redlines at 4.5k
>only has 80hp
holly fuck OP, sell that shit and get a proper 1.6L gas car with at least 120HP if you want to go kinda fast
>>
>>11426789
Heavier flywheel and engine parts means more reciprocating mass, which leads to increased inertia causing the RPMS to be less responsive, but also much more smooth.

A lighter flywheel would fix this problem, but then you sacrifice smoothness in your ride and make your clutch more touchy by doing so.
>>
>>11426871
Biggest issues in stickshift are as follows:

>starting from a stop
Find the catch point, hold the clutch there until you feel it hit idle, then let out all the way. Don't try to let off smoothly in one motion until you know the clutch.

>Shifting into 3rd and 4th
The gearshift centers itself. Let it line itself up before you try to shift into these gears instead of trying to position it in gear, otherwise you'll go from 2nd to 5th and feel like a retard.
>>
Why does my car jerk a tiny minuscule bit when I am in gears 1/2/3 and accelerate after letting the car do engine braking? But if I'm in 4th or 5th, it's generally smooth.
>>
>>11429643
I wonder this as well. I think it may just be my clutch. My car is like 20 years old and without fail it will jerk in the first 3 gears. However I recently got a new car and I can get smooth shifts in all gears. So I know it isnt me.
>>
>>11429583
>go from 2nd to 5th and feel like a retard.
wait, people actually do that? really
Holly fuck you americans are hilarious
>>
>>11429643
Probably engine or tranny mounts.
>>
>>11429696
Its fairly easy to do on a car you dont know, however after about 5 minutes in it, I normally dont do it.
>>
>>11429719
wat

there is no real way you can do this unless you're just a fuckin moron. i could see maybe upshifting from 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th by accident, or putting it into third from reverse (assuming non-dog-leg 5 speed) but 2nd to fifth? do you know how far away that shit is?
>>
>>11429674
because the ratio of the gear
the closest to the final one, the more 1:1 the ratio gets, and so engine breaking goes smoother
on a first to third gear the ratio difference is far bigger (because you are trading numbers of revolutions for torque) so when you release the gas, the wheels are now driving the engine, but for each turn of the wheel, lets say the engine has to turn 4x more this causes the jerking
in general don't engine break in low speeds and low gears, just use the normal breaks
>>
I drive 1st, 3rd, 5th, like a man.

>2013+1 3/4
>not knowing 4th and 2nd are for slowing down
>>
>>11429740
sounds like you drive a 1.0 Renault Clio
>>
>>11429730
On my gearbox (it is a 6spd) its literally like 3 inches from 2 to 5. It really isnt that much
>>
>>11429750
I would then drive 2nd, 4th, 6th, it only makes sense friend
>>
>>11429750
u gotta crank it all the way to the right, and then up. it just feels way different then third. even as a beginner dude i dont think ive ever heard or seen anyone do that. that's new for me, congrats lol
>>
>>11429746
lol really tired m44 bmw, probably less than 100hp
>>
>>11429760
2nd is geared too high to start out in without riding the fuck out of the clutch. I normally shift 1, 3, 6
>>
>>11429771
I would drop it in like a deuce
>>
>>11429750
so its
1-3-5
2-4-6-R
Right?
still I don't see how you can go 2 to 5, that's quite a lot of travel to miss the 3rd gear slot
>>
>>11429774
when you get used to it, it feels like you're popping in and out of the same gear.

such smoothness
>>
>>11429774
no its
R-1-3-5
2-4-6
>>
>>11429781
its still a long ass way to go from 2 to 5, even more when the linkages should not let you simply do that, but instead going through the neutral path before engaging the 5th gear

shifting first when trying to downshift from 4 to 3 in a old tranny I can kinda understand
but 2 to 5 in a upshift is kinda hard to swallow
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.