[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

whats the most overrated brand, and what is the most underrated.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

File: Disgustingoverpricedpieceofshit.jpg (215KB, 981x711px) Image search: [Google]
Disgustingoverpricedpieceofshit.jpg
215KB, 981x711px
whats the most overrated brand, and what is the most underrated.

of course this is merely opinion based

pic related is my most overrated. everyone in this city thinks they are the best you can get and would literally spend 2X the amount to get one.
>>
>>916916
[insert Italian brand here]
They're all using American geometry now anyway...
>>
File: FBMSWORD-21.jpg (742KB, 970x647px) Image search: [Google]
FBMSWORD-21.jpg
742KB, 970x647px
>>916916

FBM is very underrated imo. Theyre handmade in the USA in the same building theyre designed in. They can take ridiculous amounts of abuse. Theyre not some cookie cutter brand
>>
>>916917
>american geometry
>eurosport
wut
>>
File: Rapha.jpg (65KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
Rapha.jpg
65KB, 500x333px
>>
File: khs.png (32KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
khs.png
32KB, 500x500px
>>
>>916925
Their kit is classy as fuck tho
>>
>>916936

$500 for a fuckin sock
>>
>>916960
Wouldn't want any poors wearing Rapha
>>
>>916916
Bianchi
>>
Overrated:
- Velo Orange
- Rivendell
- Soma

The vibe these guys are chasing is running out of steam. Multiple recommendations from Riv have steered me down expensive, shitty paths. Soma's bikes are too expensive. All are overpriced and getting stale.

I'd lump All City in there too.

Underrated:
- Kona

Aluminum rules. Fair prices for what you get. light on gimmicks and memes. Not totally disgusting modern aesthetics (could be better though)
>>
>>917012
You gotta give credit to VO for making a bunch of components that no or almost no other company makes these days.
>>
>>917012
>Aluminum rules.

This. Can't stand the steel retrogrouchers and i like steel frames.

Also i would add Koga.
>>
>>917017

Yeah I don't hate them. They make some cool stuff like that BB that doesn't need threads

I take issue with Riv and VO pushing heavy steel bikes and thing like centerpull brakes to hipsters who think the items are authentic.

Good on both brands for selling V-brake and disc bikes recently. An d full disclosure if VO would make a step-through frame again my wife would finally have a bike that was cute enough for her and non-shit enough for me
>>
>>917012
confirmed for kona
they make great bikes for low prices. i also like the fact that they still make steel bikes.
>>
>>916923
I have yet to ride a hand made bike that rides better than a mid end machine built frame
>>
>>917033
They make good xcountry bikes but their downhill bikes are meh
>>
>>916925
Nah rapha is good kit if you understand youre paying a premium for the design aesthetic and wank factor.
Its not quite assos nek level comfy, but its close
>>
>whats the most overrated brand,
The one on the frame sticker.

>and what is the most underrated.
The one on the factory that the frame came from. Also, possibly QBP.
>>
>>917517
>surly et al
>underrated
Look at this memeseter
>>
>>917029
How about a soma Buena Vista for your wife?
>>
>>917572

She needs dick or V brakes because she is overconfident and gets hit by cars commuting

Also Soma sticker isn't vintage-y enough for her ::shoots self in face::

Now she wants a Salsa Marrakesh in black and I fear for her life. She can't handle derps or a bar end shifter. ... we'll see
>>
>>917590
>She needs dick or V brakes
Are you realy making her choose?
>>
>>917590
old Sears J.C. Higgins cruiser
>>
>>917590
>Salsa Marrakesh

The hell does she want a loaded-touring bike for?
>>
>>917590

>dick or V brakes

Why not both? Give her the dicking she deserves, but not the V brakes she needs right now
>>
overrated: Specialized
>>
>>917590
>Salsa Marrakesh
how is that decal more vintage than Soma's?

Also, the black clashes disgustingly hard with the stock brooks and tape
>>
Why do people dislike specialized so much?
>>
>>917941
The people who ride them tend to have more money than experience.
>>
>>917945
I've never ridden specialized but they seem like good bikes to me, I'm a pretty avid Cannondale fan

what's wrong with them?
>>
>>917946
CEO (of spec) is the ur-jew
>>
>>917954
the what
>>
>>917012
>>917029
An anon on /n/ recommended this instead of a LHT frame. Is it a meme frame or is it good?
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/vo-campeur-frame.html
>>
>>917945
You can buy an Allez new for 600 quid m8
>>
>>917900

It's the only modern bike with disc that she thinks isn't ugly. I have dreams about bike touring with her one day but... probably not gonna happen. Touring bikes do make good commuters imho

>>917937
yep and I think I'm gonna steer her away from it
>>
File: tumblr_nasez2sQZv1srpn17o7_1280.jpg (381KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nasez2sQZv1srpn17o7_1280.jpg
381KB, 1280x854px
>>917994
you looked at the SPECCALIZED AWOL?
>>
>>917996
wtf is going on in that rear drivetrain?

also, I own a AWOL, it's a great bike, stable and sturdy as hell
>>
>overrated
Italian brands and anything italian-sounding like Cervelo.

>underrated
Novara. For whatever reason, REI seems to be able to do better on value than most big-box brands, and they have some unique bikes like the Safari.

>>917959
He's an asshole who sues everyone over everything. Volagi almost got foxed by SpecEd, and that would have been a shame because Volagi makes neat stuff.
>>
>>918147
>Italian brands and anything italian-sounding
>like Cervelo.
KEK
E
K
>>
>>917996

I heard they were heavy as balls

But that paintjob is making me kum

>>918147

They make great touring bikes. I like the new red one. Great deals
>>
>>918086

It's a belt drivetrain, seems very very reliable from what I've heard.
>>
File: IMG_3152.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3152.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
>>918086
belt drive w di2 alfine IGH, iirc
>>
>>916916
Colnago
>>
>underrated
LeMond pre-Trek buyout, can take a real beating and keep going and cheap for what you get. Also Novara and Scattante are a good value mostly.
>overrated
Specialized, Surly, all the retrogrouch brands like Soma, New Albion etc.
>>
>>918413
Trek LeMonds are perfectly fine. The only issue with them is the prices have been creeping up as ex-hipsters have been moving to real bikes from their fixie toys.
>>
>>918417

>lemontragers
>>
File: image.jpg (28KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28KB, 600x399px
>>916916
This baby gives me serious wood but jesus christ $1300??!!
https://denver.craigslist.org/bik/5421934094.html
>>
>>916916
pfizer
>>
>>918539
That looks about right. Excellent frame, top-tier components, great condition = $$$

It would probably be even more expensive but the size restricts it to a, uh, small group of buyers.
>>
>>918906
>small
I think you mean large
>>
>>918908
Right, of course.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.