[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of this guy? http://ti.org/antiplanner/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: TransitGrowth80-12.jpg (51KB, 640x468px) Image search: [Google]
TransitGrowth80-12.jpg
51KB, 640x468px
What do you think of this guy?

http://ti.org/antiplanner/

>zoning is bad
>every one wants a single family home in the burbs and zoning is preventing this
>no transit subsidies

>interestingly, pro public land?
>>
>>910552
>>every one wants a single family home in the burbs and zoning is preventing this
What? Isn't zoning what causes burbs to be all single family homes?

Also zoning is incredibly important for quality of burb life. You want no businesses that stay open late in the burb, and definitely no factories that pollute and shit.
>>
your link has autoplay'd audio I can't disable, so I'm not going to bother reading it

seriously, I'm not going to use a website that both gives me an autoplay'd video/audio, but without a way to disable it
>>
>>910559
That's just the foretaste of the obnoxiety of the site.

>>910558
He seems to think that utilities will just magically come where ever one desides to raise their shack. If not, he's pro-slum too. Hey, free choise.

Also, he has another blog dedicated to streamliner nostalgia. Seems discordant.
>>
I've read some of his stuff before, he does make some good points on occasion, but I fundamentally disagree with his basic assumptions that everyone is greedy and market forces always lead to the best outcomes. And I think it's funny that he doesn't seem to mind government subsidies very much when that money promotes driving over other modes.
>>
>>910558
>You want no businesses that stay open late in the burb, and definitely no factories that pollute and shit.
>Zoning is the only way to achieve this
>>
>>910558
This.

>worked for a landscaper
>he ran it out of his house in the burbs near all his clients
>most run down house in the township
>yard was nothing but mud from his equipment running over it
>wanted to expand, but could not get credit
>expanded out of his house
>got the township on his ass for zoning violations

Funny thing is we did work for half the houses on his street. Overall the area is close to ideal for mixed use suburban development desipte to no bus line nearby. In a mile there is retail and a light industrial park. They just don't want a landscape business on a 1/4 acre on a residential street.
>>
>>910665
Did you reply to the wrong post?
>>
>>910552
>muh government intervention
>we need more cash going into promoting suburbs
CATO shill.
>>
>>910552
>gubernment planning is literally worse than Hitler
>suburbs are the best thing ever
I detect some contradictions in his statements.
How much money does this guy get from special interest groups?
>>
>>910665
I'm sure that the anti-planning guy would disagree with this on grounds that the cumulative economic activity of people spending money on gasoline, cars, and insurance so they can drive from their expensive home in the suburbs to visit big box retailers is vastly greater than that generated by people who rent city apartments and can walk/bike/ride transit to go places.
>>
>>910672
The fact that it's called "something-institute" is quite blatant.
>>
The Antiplanner is a hypocrite who promotes suburban and car subsidy while demonizing everything else. For no good reason. Suburbs or nothing is a terribly authoritarian stance to take.

Me? I'm liberal: I want to get rid of transport subsidies and private space regulation. Let people live how they see fit.
>>
>>910721
This. Tenured professors at universities can take whatever stance they want as long as it's supported by good research. Institutes exist to push a specific agenda and funded by money who wants to push that agenda.
>>
>>910676
Has he ever heard of the Broken Window fallacy? I mean, yeah, the numbers might very well be bigger, but they're just waste.
>>
>>910785
>but muh american dream of home ownership and a nuclear family and small business and manufacturing jobs and and and

I wish people like this would realize how much of other people's money gets spent on their wasteful bullshit.
>>
>>910785
How would putting the entire transpory system in private hands, where the power of decision is reserved only for the owners, instead of having democratic control over it?
Keep in mind that I come from a country that had it's train system decimated by privatization (and the truckers' union bureaucracy)
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.