[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ultimate Challenge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: OC.png (511KB, 806x759px) Image search: [Google]
OC.png
511KB, 806x759px
Fix Orange County /n/

Ultimate urban planning challenge
>>
surgical missile strike, start anew.
>>
A way to improve would be to paint lot's of bus lanes and bike lanes. And buy modern buses for rapid bus lines all across Orange County. Can not hurt to build some cheap bus shelters.
>>
>>1029083
i went to UCI. agree with this guy.
>>
>>1029072
Tell me about the challegenes that Orange County faces. It's kinda hard to adress from halfway across the world.
>>
>>1029109
here's just one example of the bus system known as OCTA.

https://voiceofoc.org/2016/01/spotty-bus-service-has-oc-riders-fuming/

this is so fucking funny in a kind of terrible way. but i can imagine how fucking pissed i'd be if i were in their shoes. and i should be more empathetic. i lived there for a while. i remember taking the bus to fashion island and back to UCI and it taking like 30+ minutes because buses were 20 minutes apart. also, how it took 20 minutes to travel 2.9 miles was a bit of a mystery
>>
File: m4hmgz-m4hmgscongestedfreeways.gif (101KB, 560x686px) Image search: [Google]
m4hmgz-m4hmgscongestedfreeways.gif
101KB, 560x686px
>>1029109

This county in the state of California is made up of 34 different cities. The OCTA, which is the transportation agency for the County of Orange, is shit.

Traffic is very bad, and OCTA is just widening freeways in the southern half of the county where the rich white people are, and not making the necessary improvements in the northern half that is denser (still an urban sprawl) and on the border of Los Angeles. See pic related for freeway congestion in the northern half of Orange County. Widening freeways can only do so much without any form of mass transit.

There is no light rail, and the rail services offered are by Amtrak and Metrolink, which do not own the rail lines they operate on and thus only offer service at specific times of the day only. You cannot base your work schedule off a consistent Amtrak/Metrolink service because they can change.

As the county is built around cars, traffic is getting worse and worse. They built toll roads, but they hardly solve anything. NIMBY's do not want mass transit or urban density in their cities. This is especially true for the coastal cities that do not want to bring "lower class people" in.
>>
>>1029180
Here's the idealist solution. Orange County has a population count and density close to Berlin. I'd say there should be two or three grade-separated heavy rail lines from LA to the major population centers of the county. Add one or two more rail lines running perpendicular to those and connecting them with each other and reassign busses to feeder service.
>>
The OC is far too decentralized since there really isn't an urban core to go around, as opposed to LA, which is expanding its Metro system with Downtown as the nucleus.

To really get serious, they would have to pass a measure at the county level, such as Measure M in LA County. But it's very hard to convince the Republicans along the coast and southern OC to vote on a tax increase.
>>
File: lightrammi.jpg (135KB, 990x450px) Image search: [Google]
lightrammi.jpg
135KB, 990x450px
>>1029072
never been in US regards europe but

>make metrolink trains between orange county and la electrificated and double track'd
>light rail between main places, metrolink stations and new TOD neighbourhoods
>metro orange line-like busways and bike paths
>>
>>1029072
did you forget about the bike trail that goes right along the santa ana river?
>>
>>1029180
>As the county is built around cars, traffic is getting worse and worse.
That's the next step in fixing things: making it enough worse so that the diehard NIMBYs can be overridden.
>>
>>1029403
Orange County really doesn't have any population "centers." It's pretty much 100% suburban sprawl.
>>
>>1029668
I meant the places with the highest population density.
>>
>>1029072
15 lane super-highway where the red line is
>>
Elevated commuter railroads on top of the motorways.
>>
File: ARTIC-graphic-2-771x488.jpg (112KB, 771x488px) Image search: [Google]
ARTIC-graphic-2-771x488.jpg
112KB, 771x488px
>>1029072
How about not spending $185 million on a useless meme station.

https://voiceofoc.org/2015/10/anaheims-artic-wasteland/
>>
>>1030534
This thing is so embarrassing desu, My parents have a great view of Anaheim from Anaheim Hills and it looks so cool at night when it's lit up but literally what is the point. God damn I can't wait to see how bad the traffic is when I visit my folks for Christmas.
>>
>>1030534
They seriously spent $185 million on that shit?
>>
>>1030451
This
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.