[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people ride mountain bikes at the park in the city?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10

Why do people ride mountain bikes at the park in the city?
>>
Cause it can roll on grass better than a road bike
>>
>>1028670
An entry level mountain bike is always cheaper than a road bike, that's why a lot of child have them even if they didn't mountain bike. A lot of people will lose their job if mountain bike are only used to mountain bike and road bike to race.
>>
>>1028670
Because normies are intimidated by thin tires and drop bars
>>
>>1028670

Because some of us liked having hydralic disc brakes in dangerous city traffic before they became common on road bikes circa 2013
>>
>>1028696
The hell? I didn't see disc brakes on road bike until this year. A few CX bikes maybe.
>>
File: Bicycle Ad_3.jpg (316KB, 938x1429px) Image search: [Google]
Bicycle Ad_3.jpg
316KB, 938x1429px
>>1028696
>Because some of us liked having hydralic disc brakes in dangerous city traffic
lol be quiet you bitch
>>
>>1028696
git gud faggot. I was barreling down mountains erry day on cantis 20 fuckin' years ago, saying that you ride a mountain bike around the city because the brakes make you feel safer is the most hilarious thing I've read all day.

Also discs (much less *hydraulic* discs) aren't common on even ultra-highend carbon fredsleds TODAY, much less three years ago. Shit, didn't Shimano introduce their very first hydraulic road group at the very end of 2013?
>>
>>1028698
I live in Australia. Fred's been rocking hydraulics for a few years because of their weight problems make it hard to stop
>>1028699
Nice graphics son. I like doin nose wheelies past tight office chiqs on the steep slopes ;)
>>1028700
Cagers will be cagers - but when I bought my shimano Saint disc brakes 10 years ago I never thought it would be protecting people from me. Smart phones have made the bulk of the populous a walking mine field. We all have to agree we never thought things would get THIS BAD.
>>
Because I'm not gonna buy a separate bike just to bike on the road
>>
>>1028767
enjoy being slow
>>
I thinks its largely because people think in order to have a comfortable and safe ride in the city, they need suspension to avoid being shakena around or their hands coming off the bars and shit.

It took me ages to convince my gf that she didn't need suspension after all her friends told her that its essential in this city because there are a few cobble streets.

Fucking retards.
>>
>>1028773
>t. Sonic the hedgehog
>>
>>1028767
Why not?
>>
>>1028670

Sometimes people can only afford a single good bike, so they just buy what they'd get the most enjoyment out of and use it for everything.
>>
>>1028696

Discs are nice and all, but they really don't offer any advantages on the road unless you ride in the rain a lot. (I run hydro discs on my road bike.)
>>
>>1028827
most true brah
>>
>>1028700
UR OLD LEAVE
>>
File: 1343675790279.png (259KB, 410x612px) Image search: [Google]
1343675790279.png
259KB, 410x612px
>>1028670
>Why do people ride mountain bikes at the park in the city?
sometimes i want to session something in the park - like a bench, picnic table or set of stairs.
>>
File: flyasshos.jpg (198KB, 800x453px) Image search: [Google]
flyasshos.jpg
198KB, 800x453px
>>1028670
>Why do people ride mountain bikes at the park in the city?
To do manuals and whips in front of the fly ass hos.
>>
Because many people buy cheap mountain bikes as their only bike.
>>
MTBs are simply good all around bikes, even if you don't take them offroad.

For anyone who doesn't want to go super fast there's no real downsides to them, they are relatively comfy due to suspension and fat tires, they are safe because they have good grip and good brakes, they are robust and entry models are not that expensive. To many people they also look cool.

I don't see the problem really. Sure most people never use their potential, but for riding in the city (or in a park) they are actually much better suited than the current retarded trend of super minimalistic road-style bikes like fixies and singlespeeds. To your average rider a mountain bike is not a bad pick for an all-purpose bike.
>>
>>1029926
Couldn't put it any better.
>>
File: img_1973.jpg (2MB, 2992x2244px) Image search: [Google]
img_1973.jpg
2MB, 2992x2244px
>>1029926
>>1029926
Ehhhhhhhh

>they are relatively comfy due to suspension and fat tires
Bike suspension is basically useless on pavement. It's just extra weight and extra stuff to maintain. If you feel like a bike without suspension isn't "comfy" enough on pavement, gravel, or smooth dirt, the bike doesn't fit you right. Fat tires alone are good enough for smoothing out small bumps.

Also, the single biggest thing I've ever done to make my bike more useful around town was to add both front & rear racks. Suspension makes it difficult or impossible to add racks, especially if you want to do it cheaply.

>they are safe because they have good grip and good brakes
MTB knobbies actually have *less* grip on pavement than slicks - you have less rubber in contact with the road, and what *is* contacting the road is on the end of tall, squirmy knobs. And all modern bikes have good brakes - modern road calipers are way better than MTB V-brakes were 10 years ago. You don't need hydro discs to tool around town.

>they are robust and entry models are not that expensive.
No more robust than a hybrid or light touring bike, at least not in the kind of way that a commuter or casual rider cares about. And that suspension isn't free - you'll get nicer brakes and a nicer drivetrain for the same price with a fully rigid bike.

>To many people they also look cool.
Many people have shit taste.

>I don't see the problem really.
There isn't really a problem, it's just an immediate sign that "this person isn't a cyclist, they have no idea what they're doing and probably ride under 50 miles a year"

>Sure most people never use their potential, but for riding in the city (or in a park) they are actually much better suited than the current retarded trend of super minimalistic road-style bikes like fixies and singlespeeds.
Sure, but between FS MTB and minimalist fixie, there's a middle ground that's far more suited to be an all-purpose city bike than either - pic related.
>>
road bikers are faggots lmao, foh with your gay ass clown suits.
>>
File: 1479933874796.jpg (54KB, 622x621px) Image search: [Google]
1479933874796.jpg
54KB, 622x621px
>>1030126
try harder next time
>>
>>1030099
99% of your tirade about mountain bikes is pointless when people could just buy slick or hybrid tires for cheaper than a new bike. Do I truly think they are the best bike for everyone? No. They are a nice all round bike for casual commuters. I go off road quite a bit on my commute. You have to realize that cost is the factor for most people and mountain bikes enjoy the best economy of scale since the most people want them.
>it's just an immediate sign that this person isn't a cyclist
Do mountain bikes only have 1 wheel? Is there something I am missing here? That bike you posted is not much different from a rigid MTB anyway.

>>1030099
>you'll get nicer brakes and a nicer drivetrain for the same price with a fully rigid bike.
Yes. But the same is true doing away with gears. That's why 1 of my commuters is a single speed coaster brake bike, and the other is a 27 speed hardtail MTB.

>Suspension makes it difficult or impossible to add racks
Yes, but how many people actually want or need both front and rear racks?

>>1030126
This
>>
>>1030284
>99% of your tirade about mountain bikes is pointless when people could just buy slick or hybrid tires for cheaper than a new bike.
I wouldn't classify it as a "tirade". And i don't know what you're arguing here - of COURSE it's cheaper to buy new tires for a bike you already own than to buy a new bike, but I don't see where it was asserted that we were discussing people who already own a mountain bike for other reasons.

>I go off road quite a bit on my commute.
So do I. On a rigid bike with fat slicks.

>That bike you posted is not much different from a rigid MTB anyway.
And that's great! I am fully onboard with the rigid-90s-MTB-with-slicks meme. They make very practical commuters. But OPs pic is fully suspended and the person I was responding to was talking about suspension.

>But the same is true doing away with gears. That's why 1 of my commuters is a single speed coaster brake bike
That's great. That's also tangential to the point I was trying to make.
>>
I ride my mountain bike back and forth to work because its a fun bike on all surfaces, plus I can take the dirt way home or go to the mountain bike trails after work with coworkers without having to go home. Yeah I might not be as fast as some hardcore road riders but I still can beat at least 80% with pure power.
>>
File: folding.jpg (102KB, 845x771px) Image search: [Google]
folding.jpg
102KB, 845x771px
>>1030300
>I might not be as fast as some hardcore road riders but I still can beat at least 80% with pure power.

lol this is why i come to /n/
>>
>>1030301
All about that torque :)
>>
File: 1479123684359.jpg (27KB, 324x278px) Image search: [Google]
1479123684359.jpg
27KB, 324x278px
>>1030300
>pure power

Lol nope

You don't get faster by riding heavier and inefficient bikes you just go slower.

ps: kill yourself
>>
>>1030300
I can hit about 40 mph with a 53x11 on the flats with my road bike. I can hold this for a few miles before I burn out. I always end up running out of gearing with a 46t when in route to the trails.. I understand you think you are some eilte rider that 'knows' everything about biking but I think you are just weak as fuck.
>>
>>1030099
>MTB knobbies actually have *less* grip on pavement than slicks - you have less rubber in contact with the road, and what *is* contacting the road is on the end of tall, squirmy knobs.

Go tell that to the guys at the Taxco downhill, why aren't they running hookworms then? A 55mm knobbie has way more surface area than a 23mm slick, do the math.

Rim brakes are fine for dry climates but dangerous in the wet or snow. The instant response and modulation of the hydro discs is safer in traffic. Plus with flat bars you can always keep your finger on the brake lever instead of playing grabass with your drop bars.
>>
>>1030346
Because on loose surfaces the teeth sink in, and provide greater contact over more surface area, you mental midget.
>>
>>1030346
>he does into hood grip
Your fingers are always on the lever in the primary grip position.
>>
>>1030346
Because there's offroad parts and because skinny tires is a strawman because slick tires don't need to be skinny.
>>
>>1030346
>Go tell that to the guys at the Taxco downhill, why aren't they running hookworms then?
Because the top quarter is some gnarly dirt downhill?

>A 55mm knobbie has way more surface area than a 23mm slick, do the math.
I never advocated *skinny* slicks. I roll on 35mm and 44mm tires, shit's great. Converting my main disc commuter to 650Bx47mm soon.

>The instant response and modulation of the hydro discs is safer in traffic.
*eyeroll* how did we ever survive before hydraulic brakes. It a miracle we didn't go careening into oncoming traffic all over the place. Wontsomebodythinkofthechildren.gif

>Plus with flat bars you can always keep your finger on the brake lever instead of playing grabass with your drop bars.
Non sequiter? I've never mentioned dropbars at all in this thread. Notice the bike I posted here >>1030099 has flat bars. I personally prefer drop bars (even on my rigid MTB, but not on the suspended one), but flat bars are fine for quick spins around town.
>>
>>1030311
Isn't this pasta?
>>1030346
I do in fact prefer mountain bikes but disc brakes are overrated and fragile.
>>
>>1028670
Why did the chicken cross the road?

Because fuck you, that's why.
>>
>>1030099
Yes, on perfectly smooth pavement suspension does nothing. I don't know what kind of utopian cities you ride in but over here there's plenty of areas in the city where I would definitely notice having suspension due to potholes, other shit on the road, horrible bike paths and so on.
While the primary function of a suspension is to improve grip offroad, it does add a big amount of comfort to casual riders who ride more "passively" and don't know how to/don't feel like shifting their weight when the surface gets rough, some people just want to ride a bike like a motorcycle.

All your arguments fail to emphatize with the needs and wants of casual riders. You can tell them their needs are stupid but that doesn't change the fact that they might see value in a mountain bike that you don't because they do a different kind of riding.
Maybe they would be better off with a stiff hybrid but maybe if they tried one they still wouldn't like it because they like to drop off curbs like a sack of potatoes without worrying about their rims or frame or having the saddle shoved up their fat ass. Maybe they like being able to ride over pretty much any surface without ever giving a shit about losing grip because they're running fat knobbies. Maybe they don't give a shit about rolling resistance because they're not GOTTAGOFAST cycling hipsters.

So what if they don't know what they're doing and are "not a cyclist"? Why is that bad? At least they're riding a fucking bike that's not a fixie.

By the way if you think a road caliper of any kind is better than a well adjusted MTB V-brake you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
>>
>>1030352
90% of people I see with drops are keeping their hands on top of the hoods or on top of the bar 90% of the time. They never use the drops because it's "too uncomfortable" In an emergency they go to reach for the brakes and over brake and eat shit.

Yes people have survived with rim brakes but I've also seen a fucktonne of crashes that could of been avoided with disc brakes. Every foot/second counts when you have 4000lbs of steel coming at you.

>>1030385
>I do in fact prefer mountain bikes but disc brakes are overrated and fragile.

No they're not, fuck off and do some research.
>>
>>1030435

>90% of people I see with drops are keeping their hands on top of the hoods or on top of the bar 90% of the time. They never use the drops because it's "too uncomfortable" In an emergency they go to reach for the brakes and over brake and eat shit.

God I see that so often here. Every 20 something in the city now rides vintage road bikes because they're considered cool by hipsters. They buy these pieces of crap at fleamarkets for twice what they used to be worth because they have become such a meme, nobody cares they're usually just mediocre 70s department store bikes that weren't worth anything in the first place.

And then they notice the bike doesn't actually fit them because road bike ergonomics were horrible back them and they didn't even pick the right frame size. So they can't reach the hoods comfortable and the levers don't do shit from the hoods anyway. So they ride on top of the handlebars and go into the drops whenever they need to brake. Even then the brakes to almost nothing. They also all ride in a WAY overstretched position, looks especially ridiculous with girls riding large mens bikes. They all have downtube shifters but never use them because they're too hard to reach so they just ride one gear that's always wrong. You can tell all of them are torturing themselves with these impractical shit-ass bikes but they put up with it because it's trendy and everyone does it.

Sorry for the rant. I have nothing but contempt for these people.
>>
holy shit!

someone thinks disc brakes are over rated?

IT THIS REAL LYF
>>
>>1030438

I see the exact same shit but even freds on their $8000 Cervelo's never use the drops. Why even ride a road bike at that point? Might as well run flat bars.
>>
File: Tour-de-France.jpg (756KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Tour-de-France.jpg
756KB, 1920x1200px
>>1030440
Well to be fair, even pro cyclists in races are actually in their hoods most of the time, pic related.

Drops are not meant to be used all the time usually, it's an aggressive position for attacking, sprinting, strong headwinds, whenever you need that extra aero advantage.
The being said if you ride a Cervelo you better fucking use them when it's approriate.

To me it looks even more stupid to ride in the drops when you DON'T need to, i.e. in city traffic. If you're wearing fucking jeans and a backpack riding a 40 year old road bike it looks completely retarded having to ride in an aero position because otherwise your brakes don't work
>>
>>1030438
>>1030440
>he thinks youre supposed to ride in the drops in anything but aero tuck or extreme headwind
Girls.jpg

The drops are _supposed_to be too uncomfortable to use regularly. If they weren't they'd be of no use. The hoods are supposed to be as low as you can comfortably get. The drops are for """emergencies""" where comfortably low isn't enough.
>Might as well run flat bars.
"No."
>>
>>1028827
/thread
>>
File: megavalanche.jpg (300KB, 1500x749px) Image search: [Google]
megavalanche.jpg
300KB, 1500x749px
>>1030445
>>1030447

You should always have a finger on the brake lever when your riding in a pack or in the city. It's kind of hard to do that when you're on the hoods, you're definitely not going to get full braking power in a emergency situation. And they wonder why they get hit by cages all the time or get turned into a pile of flesh and carbon when one person fucks up.
>>
>>1030465
>It's kind of hard to do that when you're on the hoods
No it isn't. In fact, it's damned near impossible not to. Try to get some real world experience before opening your mouth. About braking force, just try to suck less. It's perfectly possible to even throw yourself over the bars from hood braking, so force is not an issue.
>>
>>1030465
You're fucking stupid, please stop posting
>>
>>1030475
>>1030478

Whatever. Ill see you here in the future when you come bitching about a "cager" that hit you.
>>
>>1030480
If that happens it won't be because I can't properly brake from the hoods. Because I can.
>>
>>1030465
>megavalanche
i want to do this
>>
>>1030492
Looks fun, and painful.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.