[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who here never been to any concert or live venue? If so, why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 3

File: concert-audience.jpg (246KB, 2000x1099px) Image search: [Google]
concert-audience.jpg
246KB, 2000x1099px
Who here never been to any concert or live venue? If so, why? It'll going to be my first time so what do I need to do? How early should I come? Are there any non-meme tips?
>>
buy earplugs
>>
>>61886359
this, tinnitus sucks
>>
>>61886350
buy earplugs. take your preferred drug beforehand. have fun and don't be an autist, say hello to people and shit.
>>
>>61886371
>drugs
This is why I don't like concerts in the first place. Just attract these kind of unpleasant people.
>>
>>61886350
meh I don't bother with earplugs, I kind of feel it's part of the experience.

It depends on how early you want to get there. If it says it starts at 7, that's going to be the opening act, and that's usually an hour or two. The real show probably starts at 8:30 or 9. I like to be right up front though so I usually get there at least 2 hours before they open the doors, depending on how well known the band is. Also bring $30+ to buy merch and stuff
>>
>>61886387
hahaha, what a square
>>
Earplugs are optional. There are a couple of shows I caught where I wished I'd had them.

From an old timer: Don't do drugs at a concert. It's too much sensory overload for psychedelics. Pot just makes you lazy and unenergetic. Alcohol in moderation is OK I guess but overindulge and you may not remember a thing about the show except for puking in the john.

Sober you'll have the best time.
>>
>>61886387
jeez it was just a suggesting bro. you can go in sober man.

>>61886458
take some molly/mdma shit is amazing
>>
>>61886482
>take some molly/mdma shit is amazing
No thanks. I like my brain.
>>
Alcohol makes them infinitely more enjoyable.

Just taking a single drug (depending on which one), might make things worse if it makes you uncomfortable around crowds of people or violent environments.

Alcohol is best
>>
>>61886387
>>61886500
>ask for advice
>people offer you advice based on their own personal experiences
>you get mad because you don't like their advice
and that's why this thread is pointless
just go and figure it out yourself by experience, that's what most of us did
>>
Depending how loud it is you may kind of space out due to the loudness which you probably never experienced
>>
>>61886555
Not the OP, but if half the advice he's getting is "DUDE DRUGS LMAO" and he's straightedge, then what the fuck is the problem with him disregarding that advice?
>>
>>61886500
Not OP.

Calm down druggie. It'll be OK. >>61886555
>>
Depending on the venue, I like to get a spot near the sound table, as the sound is usually best around it. Of course some places have good sound all around, and the sound table isn't always in a spot where you can go
>>
>>61886640
he's asking a retarded question in the first place. you think people back in the days without internet asked ppl what to do at a concert?
they just signed up and payed the ticket enjoyed the music
so op's a dumbfuck anyway
>>
>>61886640
i didn't say it was a problem
i'm just using it as an example to explain why this thread is pointless
because it's an example of advice that doesn't suit him as a person
all of the advice that other people offer him could also be examples of advice that don't suit him as a person and in many of those cases he wouldn't know because he has no experience
i shouldn't really have to explain this
>>
>>61886678
>i'm just using it as an example to explain why this thread is pointless

That doesn't make it pointless at all. He can still get plenty of advice he's willing to actually consider, so long as people stop telling him to do drugs. But that's been like every post sf.
>>
I'd get there an hour before they start letting people in. It's worth it for the sake of getting a decent place to stand in the crowd.

Also, expect to be waiting around a while regardless of whether you show up early or not. I've only been to a handful of shows, but it can take fucking forever for bands to set up on stage, especially if it's a larger group.

Take a few pictures if you want, but I'd recommend you mainly try and just drink in the experience without trying to capture every moment on your phone. Especially given the fact that you're probably not going to get very decent shots from the crowd. Also, chances are 50 other people will already be recording and uploading the show already, so you can just skim Google/Youtube if you ever want to relive those memories.

Be careful when you're leaving, since there will undoubtedly be some asshole trying to drive home with a few drinks in him.
>>
OP if you tell me who you're seeing or what kind of place you're seeing them in (i'm trying to figure out the size of the venue, because that makes a HUGE difference on what the show will be like), i'll give you some advice
>>
>>61886665
you're a cool guy
real cool guy

LOOK OUT EVERYBODY, COOL GUY COMIN THROUGH!
he didn't use the internet to ask questions before the internet existed
>>
>>61886696
This guy knows what's up.

Also don't be afraid to go alone. I always have to do this because my "Normie" friends don't want to go to most of the concerts I want to go to. Be confident and be friendly. You'll have a good time.
>>
>>61886696
Is at the front the best position to be in? I'd like it to be an intimate first experience.
>>61886715
I'm seeing Tame Impala so I may sound stupid avoiding drugs while listening to that band anyway. I hope it won't be just as bad seeing it's a conservative country. I think the venue could fit about 3000-5000 people so it's kind of small.
>>61886750
I know someone but I don't know whether he wants to go with me yet.
>>
>>61886350
I've never been to a concert.
>>
>>61886416
terrible advice all around
not bringing earplugs is dumb - it doesn't make you tough or cool. it makes you lose your hearing

there's 2 times, usually posted on the ticket or website. 1 is doors (when the doors open and you're able to get inside) and the other is the start time (for the opening act). i've been to hundreds of shows, and i've never once seen an opening act play anywhere close to 2 hours.
typically it's a half hour to 45 minutes, with maybe an hour for an opening band who is pretty well known and the concert is a stadium show or something. time between the opening act and main act is usually 15-20 minutes, up to a half hour again if it's a stadium show.
if there's 3 bands playing and doors is at 7, it'll go something like this:
7 doors open - 8 first band goes on - 8:30 they're done - 8:50 2nd band goes on - 9:40 they're done - 10:10 main band goes on - 12:10 they're done

showing up 2 hours before doors is ridiculous. that would only be necessary if you want to be at the very very front at a stadium concert. you'll be getting smashed up against the barricade the whole time to the point where you think you might die. showing up an hour before the biggest show is plenty of time to just be a couple of rows back and have a great view (and not be uncomfortable the whole time).

if it's a club/bar show....well OP can tell me if it is and i'll keep going
>>
Get there an hour early to get a good place to stand.
The band will always take at least 30 minutes to start the show.
Drop your bean right when you get inside so it can kick while the show is starting
Don't buy anything there as it will all be too expensive. (40 dollar shirts..)
>>
>>61886913
>Is at the front the best position to be in? I'd like it to be an intimate first experience.

That depends on your definition of "intimate"? And also what sorta show you're going to. There's going to be dancing/moshing/headbanging/crowdsurfing/etc towards the front of the stage, and it's generally assumed that if you're standing in that section, you're looking to participate in that stuff. Expect spilled drinks, random people slamming into you, and the occasional body being passed around overhead (just help them along if they come your way. Better to get a clumsy assgrab then to fall on your face).

Again, it can be fun, and some people think it's part of a full show experience. But it can also be distracting from watching the show itself. I typically like to hang back just past the edge of it.
>>
>>61886350
DO NOT take more than 3 pictures during the entire show. They will be shit quality anyways, and there will always be a professional photographer in the room, just google the show the day after.

Bring earplugs, decide if you'll use them at the gig. Don't go in the midfront (right in front of the stage) if you don't want to jump/mosh and just enjoy the show.

Don't talk when other people than the person you're talking to can hear you. Especially don't shout shit at the artist between songs.

And don't forget to have fun.
>>
>>61886961
mostly good advice, except for the band always starting 30 minutes late.
it really depends on the venue. if you go to a few shows you can get a feel for how late a place will start. some places will never start less than an hour late, others will almost always start exactly on time.
as a general rule, stadium shows are usually closer to on time. mid-size venues are close to on time or maybe a half hour late. bar shows are often a half hour to an hour late. BUT that is all dependent on the venue. some bars might start on time. if you want to be sure you're not going to miss anything, show up by the start time.
>>
>>61886913
specific advice for OP - this is what i would do for your Tame Impala concert:
since it's your first show, try to show up maybe 15-30 minutes before the doors time. when you've been to a few shows, you might start pushing it closer to the doors or start time. give yourself a little extra time than you usually would to account for traffic and time to find a parking spot. you don't want to be stressed about missing anything, but you don't want to be waiting around so long that you're tired and grumpy by the time they take the stage either.
personally i like being about 5 rows (of people, there won't be seats) back. you're still close as hell, but you're not craning your neck to look up or getting smashed to death. the sound is usually best around the middle of the room or right in front of the sound booth.....but i'd rather be closer than that to get the best view. i can hear the best sound at home on the record. i'm at a show for the experience and to see the band.
start closer to the front, and if you don't like it up there just slowly move back.
>>
>>61887148
>Especially don't shout shit at the artist between songs.
Eat me. I paid $60 for these tickets and I'm going to request songs.
>>
>>61887224
>>61887235
cont'd:

speaking of moving back, you'll have people trying to shove their way in front of you when the show's getting close to starting. don't let them but don't start a fight either. i try to make myself look big, and set my feet so i don't get knocked off-balance as someone pushes by. don't be afraid to give them a gentle nudge back the way they came. and don't be one of these people. if you want to get closer to the stage, show up earlier. you don't have to automatically stand behind everyone that is already there - if people are loosely spaced and you can easily walk between them, it's ok to go in front of them. but if you have to squeeze by and you're uncomfortably close to people where you end up, you're being rude.
bring earplugs. if you don't need them, fine. but if you do and don't have them, it's bad news. i put them so they're barely in my ears, just enough to block some of the sound. if you're in a pinch, grab some toilet paper or paper towel from the bathroom. often times they sell them at the bar. the foam ones are kind of shitty, ones that look like these (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044DEESS/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0044DEESS&linkCode=as2&tag=conear-20&linkId=3COXSL5RNFFTIGU4) are better. they're cheap and you can get them at any CVS/Walgreens/drug store.
>>
>>61887247
everyone else didn't pay $60 a ticket to hear you being a fucking jackass
and the band doesn't owe you shit. you paid money to see the show that they put on.
if you pay the band to come to your house, THEN you can request shit.
>>
there won't be moshing at a Tame Impala show.
but if you go to a show where there is, it'll happen in a circle-ish area in the front 1/3rd of the venue.
you're not trying to hurt people, you're just bouncing in to people and gently pushing off. if someone falls, you pick them up as quickly as possible. if someone drops something, try to help them.
you're there to have fun, not be a dick.
>>
>>61887247
That's really fucking stupid. Unless you're going to a really obscure and small show (in which you can literally talk to the artist), the artist has a setlist already planned out. I really doubt it an artist will be like "oh, yeah thanks for screaming that song, completely forgot about that, let's play it!". not gonna happen.

Best case scenario you're annoying the people around you, worst case scenario you're bothering the artist by getting them out of their concentration.
>>
>>61886528
I remember the last show I went to, it was my first show alone, I had about 4 drinks at a bar next door to the venue before things started.

The alcohol they serve at venues is grossly overpriced, but I still drank the whole time I was there and got really, really drunk, but at least I held my liquor and was able to get a ride home.

It was surprisingly less awkward than I thought. I got to talk to plenty of other awkward folks and had a few fun conversations.
>>
>>61887311
Which band/artist's show was that?
>>
>>61887247
It better be Freebird.
>>
>>61887274
Fuck you. Still gonna' yell out songs.

And a good trick to get past no fun ducks like this if you get there late, buy two beers at the bar and tell people as you push past that you're bringing them to your "girlfriend" who's up front. Then when you get up front you have what's left of two beers to drink.

And then yell out song requests.
>>
>>61887350
>And a good trick to get past no fun ducks like this if you get there late, buy two beers at the bar and tell people as you push past that you're bringing them to your "girlfriend" who's up front. Then when you get up front you have what's left of two beers to drink.

This is genius, I'm doing that next time, haha.
>>
>>61887389
You are the epitome of the fuccboi's that make concerts less fun. Seriously consider staying home next time to save other people from knowing about your existence.
>>
>>61887309
>be me
>King Crimson
>ConstruKtion of Light tour 2001
>weird crowd full of uptight fucks like you
>yell out for "Dinosaur!!"
>some library science chick in the balcony above me yells down at me "Have some respect."
>I guess she thought I was insulting them
>Adrian Belew gives her the weirdest look
>smiles and winks at me
>Dinosaur is the last song they play
>Belew throws me a signed pick after the show

So nah. I'll keep having fun my way. Thanks though.
>>
>>61887432
look at this nerd
>>
>>61887432
you're right but don't even respond to the trolls
>>
>>61887495
Concerts are full of fucks like this nowadays.
>Don't touch me
>Don't push my girlfriend
>This cardigan cost $200
>You spilt my Grenadine Cranberry Vodka
>Excuse me Don't smoke that near US

Fuck off
>>
>>61887584
It's a dog eat dog sort of place.

I don't be a dick to people on purpose but, sometimes it happens. Nothin personal kiddo.
>>
>>61887235
So it's best to avoid getting 96'd eh?
>>
>>61888189
hm?
>>
>>61886350
There's nothing worth seeing in my area. If I want to see stuff I have to drive like 60 miles down to Boston.
>>
File: Crowd-Disaster-.jpg (50KB, 595x385px) Image search: [Google]
Crowd-Disaster-.jpg
50KB, 595x385px
>>61888189 (You)
>>61888249

>'89
>96 dead
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster
>>
>>61888409
ah
yea i like to avoid that
>>
>>61888372
What state you in?
>>
>>61888372
that's not that bad.
i have to drive 80 miles to the closest places, but most bands don't go there.
it's 180 miles to the nearest city that most bands will actually stop at, and even then it's still midwestern cities so they still get skipped fairly often
>>
Front will have AWFUL sound but it's best spot; closest to stage, closest to dancing/mosh pit, just overall the most interesting and unique experience.

bring ear plugs, don't be a retard

3-5k is a massive venue so there will be a rail anyway, and the whole plave will be equally boring and shitty

TI is really not very good at all live

go to more basement shows
>>
>>61887309
even at small shows bands will have setlists

nobody likes the asshole who yells out requests, and everyone loathes the fuckin retard yelling out "freebird" like it's the funniest shit ever
>>
>>61887350
I've stopped mid-song to call out shitheads like you
>>
>>61886929
Not op but whats your advice for club/bars?
I went to a couple of stadium shows but I hate sitting down for a show
>>
>>61889550
i mean it basically has to do with timing, when you need to show up
if you keep reading down the thread i more or less laid it out, my posts are the giant walls of text

if you have any other questions or anything, let me know. like i said, i've been to hundreds of shows.
biggest differences i can think of are the timing, comfort, and proximity to the band. at bar shows you can pretty much meet any artist if you want to.
>>
if you're 45 years old, slightly drunk, and holding a glass of beer: don't stand in the pit and then start a fight with some teenager that makes you spill your dumb beer
>>
Go in a wheelchair, that way at some point the people around you will lift you up and you'll get a great view of the stage

Just remember to not move your legs
>>
>>61889858
I moshed with a dude in a wheelchair a while ago it was sick
>>
also, stay off your fucking touchscreen during the show
>>
>>61889080
Southern NH
>>
>>61886913
3000-5000 is pretty big, so prepare for more physical contact than you're expecting. Unless you're in a small venue, you're going to get pushed around.

If there's crowd surfing, remember that people weight more than you expect and don't let anyone drop.

Finally, singing along and dancing at a show by a band like Tame Impala makes it that much more fun, even if you can't really do either.
>>
>>61886458
>pot just makes you lazy and unenergetic
You've never had some good sativa have you?
>>
seriously buy earplugs
not the yellow solid kind though
you'll hear much clearer and also not damage your hearing

you don't need drugs or alcohol to enjoy a concert

who are you seeing op?
>>
>>61890652
Tame Impala and i imagine he's long gone
>>
>>61890652
Fucking pussy. I've been front row at death metal shows, bleeding from my goddamm eye after being elbowed, let alone wearing fucking ear plugs. What a fag.
>>
>>61890802
HELL YEA BRO
SMASH SOME FUCKIN BUDWEISERS, GO TO A SHOW AND THEN SMASH SOME OF THESE FUCKIN PUSSIES RIGHT IN THE GODDAMN FACE
THEN WE CAN GO TO FUCKIN WAR, KILL SOME FUCKIN TOWELHEADS WHILE WE LISTEN TO SOME MOTHERFUCKIN AVENGED SEVENFOLD
THEN WE CAN MAKE SOME OF THESE GAY COCKSUCKIN FAGGOTS SUCK OUR FUCKIN DICKS CAUSE THEY'RE SO FUCKIN GAY
>>
File: 1450029643193.jpg (78KB, 444x462px) Image search: [Google]
1450029643193.jpg
78KB, 444x462px
>>61889547
Oh Josh Homme I'd kick the living fuck out of you. Bring it.
>>
So what venue is best for synth pop?
>>
>>61891905
Smaller venues depending on who it is obviously. I've seen Chvrches live during the day at Coachella and they were bloody awful. Might have been better at a small club at night.
>>
>>61891971
Fuck they came to my country 2 years ago in small closed venue. I missed the chance to see them. Same thing happened with Grimes.

What do you guys use to keep track of the tour dates of your favourite bands? Big acts rarely come here so I quickly lost interest,
>>
>>61892327
One of the few things last.fm does well.
>>
>>61892395
kek the ones near me are not even in my country.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.