[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>listen to a lot of "depressing" music/slowcore/sad/dark

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 200_s.gif (23KB, 301x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
23KB, 301x200px
>listen to a lot of "depressing" music/slowcore/sad/dark etc.
>life turns around and i'm very happy recently
>start listening almost exclusively to pop, trap, and "happy" music
do you relate? Does your mood sometimes influence what music you can and can't listen to at that time?
>>
>>61876074
When I'm relatively more well-adjusted I listen to jazz and some more experimental styles (EAI, free improv, onkyo, etc.)

When I'm more sad I usually go to slow, repetitive or atmospheric music (post-rock, drone, etc.)

Mood definitely plays a part into what I can/can't listen to, because most stuff I listen to is a response for dealing with something.
>>
>>61876074
well the less you know the happier you are.
>>
>>61876145
do you ever listen to sad music when your happy? I used to purposely put myself into that mood, but now I just literally can't
>>
>>61876176
Not really. Sometimes I'll listen to something a bit slower and more introspective but unless I just need some sort of solace in something I'll never go to "sad' music
>>
>>61876145
>>61876437
thanks for posting, I needed to filter that tripcode

>>61876074
it's probably because, and feel free to take this the wrong way, you're a young person who feels his/her life is defined by 'black' and 'white' periods and that most things are set into two categories (anything outside this is too emotionally complex due to the fact you still probably use your amygdala instead of your prefrontal lobe). that's my best guess, anyway, since I thought that way when I was 14, and now I feel that listening to a certain type of music or being drawn to a certain type of music just because of life events is childish
>>
>>61877499
Well obviously one can have mixed emotions and I don't think anyone has "black" or "white" as you define it, but it's obvious that we're just speaking in general terms here.

We're not saying we listen to music solely because of life events but to deny that music (or really art in general) doesn't have some role to play in coping with emotions and, for lack of a better term, "reflecting" the world back at us through a different perspective would be to ignore a major portion of the theory behind art

Also your amygdala is essential for decision-making and determining payoffs so you probably should start using that a bit more
>>
>>61876074
Most of the music I listen to is right in the middle between happy and sad. I like ambiguity in my music because life is pretty ambiguous
>>
>>61877709
Yeah, honestly this. I'm looking through my RYM and there's very little I would class as directly happy or sad. I never really thought about that before, but I guess it makes sense in the context of my own personality
>>
>>61877626
Er, no, I'm just saying you're more prone to see things as black or white when younger.

I mean, I guess you can reflect using music, the brain likes when things remain similar. emotion, if I remember correctly, is argued quite a bit, and one of the theories is that a change in the body causes a change in emotion, so perhaps music does have some merit with influencing your emotions but rather I think its because young people get dopamine spikes and serotonin lows (in other words, very happy or very sad - I can't remember the neurotransmitters well) and so they seek a medium to connect to because their high reason center hasn't fully developed.

the amygdala tends to only be your reasoning center when you're younger, though, and it controls fear and anger (which is why teenagers usually act like faggots). its the prefontal lobes and the grey matter that you want to use a lot more of
>>
>Does your mood sometimes influence what music you can and can't listen to at that time?

ye pretty much always. can only listen to like musique concrete and shit when i'm anxious/restless, i can only listen to pop when i'm feeling good (which is usually in the morning), can only listen to ambient and drone when i'm sleepy, etc.
>>
>>61879361
I'm aware of that, but you were clearly applying the whole "black and white dichotomy" to both OP and me.

The "reflection" of music and entire role of it, in my view (and those of many philosophers, not to appeal to authority) is to translate concepts and ideas of life and to show them to the viewer with a new light or perspective, and then the resulting emotional response comes from the realization of the viewer and their own existence in terms of the concept. Emotional response, in most cases, is simply a byproduct of a process which requires utilizing your reasoning to identify a concept within the work and then to connect with that on a sympathetic level.

The seeking of a medium isn't simply the search of some dilettante teenagers for some form of catharsis; it's a necessary part of the human psyche that arguably forms a large part of art as a whole.
>the amygdala tends to only be your reasoning center when you're younger, though, and it controls fear and anger
And also emotional learning and memory consolidation.

>its the prefontal lobes and the grey matter that you want to use a lot more of
I probably agree with this, but in this case I believe you've mistaken having little emotional response to music as being a function of "higher reasoning", when the reasoning part of music comes from identifying the concepts and themes hidden within the piece.
>>
>Socializing with the senpai
>Road trip
>Sis is driving, so she cooses the music
>Nothing but Beyonce, Lana Del Rey, YG and Radio Disney
>Mood soured by this shitfest of audible dribble
>Put on my headphones and crank up a noise/drone playlist until I can't hear her shitty ass pleb garbage anymore
My music selection has never changed more dramatically before or since
>>
no lol

music effects my mood

less than

my mood affects my music
>>
>>61879694
>senpai
Okay, wordfilter, famILY
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.