[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /mu/ think of Stevie Ray Vaughn?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: Stevie Ray Vaughan(83-469-15)72.jpg (28KB, 332x490px) Image search: [Google]
Stevie Ray Vaughan(83-469-15)72.jpg
28KB, 332x490px
What does /mu/ think of Stevie Ray Vaughn?
>>
He didn't fly so well.
>>
>>61767625
Pretty goddamn good.
If you're into bluesy type shit.
>>
people who think his version of Little Wing is better than Hendrix' original are very much mistaken
>>
He's probably too redneck for /mu/'s taste.
>>
>>61767625

can't name one of his tunes but i know the anecdote where disgruntled bandmates shoved one of his harmonica entirely in one of their ass, a good dip, and put it back in his pile of harmonicas for live usage.
>>
He was undeniably talented, but boring and sterile as fuck - pretty much the opposite of the blues artists he aped.

Also, his fanbase is horrible - guitarfags that care way more about technique than actual feeling in music and idiots that think it's Ok to cite him as their favorite blues artist

>>61768017
please, please be true
>>
>>61768017
Was he an asshole?
>>
His Voodoo Child definitely lacks the pyrotechnics of Hendrix's original.
>>
I don't think there is another artist who's studio albums are absolute shite but live concerts are fucking fantastic.
>>
>>61768205
>I don't think there is another artist who's studio albums are absolute shite but live concerts are fucking fantastic

there are genres out there that aren't album-centric, did you know that?
>>
File: GWAR.jpg (190KB, 980x552px) Image search: [Google]
GWAR.jpg
190KB, 980x552px
>>61768205
i can think of several, but just gonna psot the obvious
>>
His stuff is interesting if only for being a complete rejection of 80s music conventions. There's nothing in there that sounds like that time period and his albums are pretty much timeless; you could not tell by listening to them what decade they were recorded in.
>>
>>61767809
He's pretty civilized so he's cool.
He just makes comfy blues.
>>
File: tumblr_nssfo2TCLi1rubs41o1_500.jpg (54KB, 485x312px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nssfo2TCLi1rubs41o1_500.jpg
54KB, 485x312px
>>61768265
>tfw you skipped the last GWAR show in your city while Oderus was alive and assumed they'd be back next year
>>
>>61768117
>
maybe but his version of Little Wing is better than the original
>>
>>61768265
Nekrogoblikon does that better anyway.
>>
>>61767625
Pride and Joy is good.
>>
File: 545.png (179KB, 1566x832px) Image search: [Google]
545.png
179KB, 1566x832px
>>
>>61767625
t̶a̶l̶e̶n̶t̶l̶e̶s̶s talented hack
>>
>>61767625
He was good in Let's Dance
>>
>>61768115
he never used harmonicas

>>61768889
and china girl

he was a talent but it is the prototype for blues hammer

maybe if he hadn't spawned a gajillion wannabes he'd be better? maybe not
>>
>>61768095
he was a billion times more interesting than the guys he was aping

but blues is incredibly boring music

you can listen to a blues radio station for 4 hours and not be able to discern the difference between a single song
>>
>>61769099
this is b8
>>
>>61769218
nah I agree with that anon, it's all pentatonic guitar wankery. it was probably the shit when it came out, but it has aged pretty badly
>>
>>61769099
MAH BABY CHEATED ON ME

MAH DOG DIED

AH GOT A HOLE IN MAH SOUL

DEM BLUES DONE GOT ME DOWN REAL BAD
>>
>>61769269
you and I have very different definitions of 'wankery'

how can something so simple and primal be 'wankery' - especially compared to white boy noodling from Vaughn or Clapton?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvwVuOM7aFQ
>>
>>61767625
It's Saul Goodman if you're at a dive bar drinking cheap American beer. But it's nothing I'd listen to in places you can't drink.
>>
>>61768205
a lot of bands (and artists) from Austin are predominantly live bands

thus "Live Music Capitol of the world"
>>
>>61769396
>Stevie ray Vaughn
>live

you might want to sit down before i break this to ya, anon
>>
>>61768441

Neither are really any close to Hendrix' originals, Stevie doesn't have the same flow and groove as Jimi had.
>>
>>61769338
of course I didn't mean wankery literally, I meant it in a way that it all sounds the same at the root. you proved my point by posting a standard 12 bar blues. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just formulaic as fuck by now.
>>
>>61769616
>50 year old influential classic
>formulaic as fuck by now
>by now

yeah I agree, modern imitations of the real, old blues suck ass as far as I've heard. and I lump SRV in with that - yeah, I know he might have put a new twist on it, but it's not a twist I like.

Whats your opinion on Robert Cray? Haven't heard much by him, but I like him better than SRV
>>
i like that track "lenny"

it is nice and slow besides his usually fast style
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.