[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wtf am I listening to? Did I get memed? Fucking explain yourselves

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 7

File: Trout_Mask_Replica.png (159KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Trout_Mask_Replica.png
159KB, 300x300px
Wtf am I listening to? Did I get memed?
Fucking explain yourselves
>>
shut up FAGGOT
>>
>>61759058
The appeal to it is it's sounds like RETARDED IMPROV but ITS NOT
>>
It's experimentalllllll get some tastes fag LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
>>
You have to develop taste in early rock, blues and jazz to "get" this album, its a masterpiece and deserves all the recognition it has but its not an easy listening.
>>
Just listen to it ten more times, then you'll get it
>>
you have to suck my cock to understand it
>>
>>61759058
It's basically music dadaism. Try to focus on a single instrument for each listening. After 5 or 6 listenings it will all be more clear.
>>
i like it because it reminds me of the weird parts of the southwest.
>>
why all the hate for this album. sure it doesn't sound like the strokes but what exactly is difficult about it? its just silly blues
>>
>>61759058
hey OP what's your favorite band
>>
Ella Guru is great
>>
>>61759058
it's abstract. People look at a picasso and think what the fuck am I looking at. Picasso's paintings are a reflection of his feelings and shit. TMR has incredible poetry that evokes visuals in the listener's mind, if they are open to hear them. It's quite beautiful and amazing. One of my favorite albums of all time - not even fucking joking.
>>
Both Safe as Milk and Lick my Decals off baby are better. People just hype TMR because scaruffi thinks it's the best rock album of all time but he's just a contrarian edgefuck.

Try Safe as Milk anon.
>>
>>61760836
This, anyone who considers themselves fans of music should have listened to Trout Mask Replica. It's definitely up there with best albums ever made, although not my favourite I really appreciate it and put it on from time to time.
>>
>>61761521
>scaruffi thinks

TMR is one of the most critically acclaimed albums ever and is widely considered as one of the best rock albums ever made.
>>
listen from 1:30 https://neiltrotterhnpe.bandcamp.com/track/3g-rangeban-rip peep the ella guru sample
get red pilled as frick
>>
>>61761558
Nope, it's considered a great and influential album but I've never seen anyone outside of scaruffi to even put it in their top 10, let alone best ever.

TVU and Frank Zappa get a lot more praise for the stuff they did back then. TMR was made in the same year as Hot Rats, it's not even comparable.
>>
2 deep 4 u
d
e
e
p
u
>>
>>61761585
>Zappa Fan
Thaaaaaat explains it lol
>>
>>61761585
I know lots of people who consider TMR top 10 material, you just either don't have any friends or have shitty friends anon.
>>
>>61761643
fuck off aaron
>>
>>61761643
> hating zappa
Uhm, you do know Trout Mask Replica was produced by Frank Zappa, right?

> scaruffifags in charge of knowing of what the fuck they're talking about
>>
>>61759091
Not necessarily, when I first heard it I hated blues and barely listened to any 60s/50s and I fell in love instantly
>>
>>61761521
LMDC is fucking garbage, wannabe TMR
>>
>>61760836
>if they are open to hear them

This is literally 'it's good music, you just need to abuse your definition of "good" so to include it'-tier argument. EVERYTHING is good if one 'approaches it with an open (= willing) mind' by definition.
>>
>>61761585
It was John Peel's favorite album of all time. I trust him more than Scaruffi.
>>
>>61761683
There is some truth to that though. Some things can be obtuse enough that it doesn't stick with you until you learn to enjoy it.

Think of all the people who say that rock music is just "noise". They simply are not in the mindset of enjoying that kind of music or exploring it in detail so they just shun all of it.
>>
>>61761667
I hate Scruffy he is an idiot and of course I know Zappa is the only reason any of us here have heard TMR in recorded format but that doesn't mean that Zappa's music including Hot Rats is embarrassing (not just his xddd 'humorous' satire stuff)
>>61761678
is right too, you idiot. While I don't think LMDCOB is garbage (rather I enjoy that record on the rare occasion), it doesn't hold a candle to TMR, and Ice Cream for Crow is better than it anyway.
>>
>>61761667
>>61761736
isn't*
>>
>>61761736
why you hate scruffy
>>
>>61761736
You're trying too hard and make me want to look for a tripfag filter. If you hate Frank Zappa and especially his output with Mothers of Invention, then you probably never actually listened to either zappa or beefhart and are just shitposting and memeing.
>>
>>61761754
Coz he has really retarded ratings?
>>
File: image.png (6KB, 1420x104px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
6KB, 1420x104px
>>61761784
>>
>>61761790
it's funny how /mu/ takes scaruffi more seriously than himself does
>>
>>61761782
I have listened to a lot of beefheart and have a beefheart shirt, i have listened to enough ESSENTIAL wEiRd zappa and also the crap my drum teacher liked to know that his music is a waste of time.
Also have watched a bunch of embarrassing live videos (lol zappa the CONDUCTORÉ)

i bid you farewell
*twists mustache*
*raises spork*
*raises one eyebrow while lowering the other*
>>
>>61761790
We'll I don't actively hate him that was wrong but I hate his reviews and the idea of them and therefore do not like beefheart b/c he loves tmr
>>
>>61761813
if you were truly versed in Beefheart's oeuvre you'd know that Shiny Beast is his true magnum opus
>>
>>61761813
No, I'm sure you never actually listened to anything from either artist and you probably secretly listen to Tyler the Creator or something like that while scrobbling "patrician" music. Also you certainly don't have a beefhart t-shirt and you're just whoring for attention because you don't receive any in real life.
>>
>>61761830
when were we discussing his catalogue my fellow redditor?
>>
>>61761834
you know that is aaron's trip, right
>>
>>61761845
I don't keep track of tripwhores but I'm sure he's a certified shitposter
>>
File: this is u.jpg (194KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
this is u.jpg
194KB, 1080x720px
>>61761834
Well that's simply not true. However if it makes you feel better about being a Zappa fan then all the power to you, sir!
>>
>>61760836
b8
>>
>>61759058
you got memed the fuck out, it's actually worst album ever and it's not even cool to like it, LITERALLY A DEFINITION OF MEME
>>
>>61761869
Swans and chill?
>>
>>61761892
>you got memed the fuck out, it's actually worst album ever and it's not even cool to like it, LITERALLY A DEFINITION OF MEME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJe1iUuAW4M
>>
>>61759058
I thought the same fucking thing.
>what the fuck is this garbage?! I just wasted my time listening to this shit.

But if you give it few listens and start to get into it a little, you'll notice they're doing it on purpose.
It's experimental rock music done in the style of free form jazz music. Or something like that.

It's one of favorite albums now. But to each there own OP
>>
>>61761925
https://clyp.it/rbkrzxjb
>>
>>61759058
teenagers think Troust Mask Replica is some kind of experimental emotional masterpiece when really it's just Faust 2 Faggotronic Boogaloo

I'm 28 years old, I'm probably older than the majority of people on /mu/. I've studied music theory in college for five years. I play more than five instruments including guitar and violin. I'm part if a rock duo and I perform monthly at various places. We've been working on an album since 2014. I think I know what I'm talking about.

To all you Trout Mask Replica fags, how much music theory do you know? What instruments do you play? I'm guessing none.
>>
>>61759058
I hated it at first too. I think everyone does. But "/mu/ says I should like it" so I listened to it like 5 times (had it on in the car), and I started to pick out bits and pieces that I like.

Then I showed it to my jazz musician friend. He's listened to a fair share of free jazz albums. He hadn't heard of it before but remarkably understood it immediately. He said something like, "It's very structured and intentional, and it's an interesting concept, almost like free rock, but I don't like the weird 'hillbilly' aesthetic it's got going on."

I hadn't explained anything about the album to him and the fact he immediately understood the idea behind it convinced me this album wasn't just a total mess.

I'm not a musician and I only know a little theory, but I after listening to it a few more times I've come to enjoy aspects of it: polyrhythms, broken melodies, obscure harmonies and nonsense poetry.

It's a good album. BUT it's not easy listening, and even now, after having listened to it about 8 or 9 times, there's so much more out there I would rather listen to. It's great in concept and execution but it's just too fucking weird.
>>
>>61762159
>I've studied music theory in college for five years.
you could've spent those 5 years doing something useful instead
>>
>>61762159
if you're going to sligtly edit a pasta, at least make it somewhat believable, the Faust part completely gives it away
>>
>>61762159
If you're 28 and still haven't released a single piece of music then you really can't say "you know what you're talking about". It tells that you're not very creative and probably any musical contributions you will make won't be any good.
>>
>>61762223
They're very similar but I don't expect someone who hadn't studied music theory for 5 years to get that.
>>
>>61762159
I posted this >>61761986

23 years old
Been playing guitar for a whopping 11 years
Piano for about 5 years
And I've recently gotten into music production and also started to write my own compositions.
I know about theory, I use the circle of fifths all the fucking time.

I like this album. It's not in my top 5 but it's in my top 10. I only recently discovered it by visiting this board.
Anyway I just wanted to reply to your bait, and prove that knowledge shouldn't make you snobby prick.
>>
>>61762289
>circle of fifths
I agree with everything you're saying but surely this is not the height of your music theory knowledge
>>
>>61762159
teenagers think Troust Mask Replica is some kind of experimental emotional masterpiece when really it's just Faust 2 Faggotronic Boogaloo

I'm 28 years old, I'm probably older than the majority of people on /mu/. I've studied music theory in college for five years. I play more than five instruments including guitar and violin. I'm part if a rock duo and I perform monthly at various places. We've been working on an album since 2014. I think I know what I'm talking about.

To all you Trout Mask Replica fags, how much music theory do you know? What instruments do you play? I'm guessing none.
>>
>>61762289
circle of fifths is entry level music theory
>>
>>61762308
>Faust 2 Faggotronic Boogaloo
You mean Faust is TMR 2 Faggotronic Boogaloo?
>>
>>61762304
Of course it's not.
You want to dive into theory or something?
>>
>>61762159

>>
>>61762541
Is this some kind of copypasta, or did you really just type this?
For your own sake, I hope it's Navy Seal tier copypasta.
>>
>>61759058
It's literally nothing more than a meme

The only people who enjoy this are those stupid enough to fall for memes
>>
>>61762555
have you looked at any of this thread
its been posted three times
>>
>>61762582
Oh my bad. I wasn't paying much attention to this thread.
>>
>he fell for the meme
>>
>>61762574
>>61762647
>i can't into rudimentary experimental rock music
>>>/r/indieheads/ , plebs
>>
File: meme.jpg (47KB, 600x514px) Image search: [Google]
meme.jpg
47KB, 600x514px
>>61762666
>>
>>61759083
the appeal to it is that it brings the riffs dude
>>
It's one of the most critically acclaimed albums ever, how could you think it's a joke? Anyone who is remotely into music generally loves TMR.
>>
>>61762225
ya done got memed
>>
>>61759058
It's a good album, just not immediately accessible. There are lots of barriers to overcome. Your confusion is entirely typical of newcomers to TMR, especially those who are simultaneously newcomers to Beefheart.

The continued endurance of this music over decades should indicate that there is really very little to explain.

>>61761683
Look up the definition of "acquired taste".
>>
FAST AND BULBOUS
>>
>>61762961
THAT'S RIGHT, THE MASCARA SNAKE, FAST AND BULBOUS
>>
File: 220px-MeetTheResidents1.jpg (12KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
220px-MeetTheResidents1.jpg
12KB, 220x220px
Listen to pic related for a taste in experimental.
>>
A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?
>>
>>61759058
FAG
>>
>>61762996
DUDE WANKING OVER POP MUSIC LMAO
>>
>>61761790
why does scaruffi sound so japanese in all of his emails
>>
F U C K

F A G G O T S

2 0 1 6
>>
>>61765525
italian, japanese its all the same
>>
>>61765525

>not realizing it's fake
>>
MY SMILE IS STUCK
>>
Has anyone here listened to more Beefheart than Safe as Milk and TMR? All I see is discussion about these two.
>>
>>61765883

I've listened to TMR, Safe As Milk, Mirror Man, and all the albums he did after his "pop" albums. I've stayed away from the pop ones because most people say they're shit.
>>
>>61765955

oh, and also Lick My Decals and Strictly Personal, forgot about those
>>
>>61759083
But can you actually enjoy the music? Like are there melodies that reveal themselves over time? Or is it just something you enjoy because it's so obscure and you can surprise people by claiming you like it?
>>
an annoying version of doc at the radar station
>>
People make this album sound harder than it is.

It's evocative of a drunk summer wander through hoboland. And more superficially, it's really interesting because it's so original. It's fundamentally just blues though and you listen to it like blues. Meticulously composed of course but that's not to say there's not much to "get"
>>
>>61759058
>>
File: images.jpg (10KB, 229x220px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10KB, 229x220px
>>61766654
>le epic b8 meme xD xD!!1!!
>>
>>61766587

there's more to music than just melody...but yes TMR does have some nice melodies, especially on Frownland, Moonlight On Vermont, Dachaue Blues and Ella Guru.
>>
>>61767332
>there's more to music than just melody
>>61767332
Well duh but why would you want to listen to something if it didn't have a melody? Then it's literally just noise.
>>
TMR is truly one of best and most experimental albums out there. If you play close attention to your shitty /mu/core, you will notice that most of it has been influenced by this album.
One thing that makes it a great (if not the best) album is that it is timeless. No matter how many times you listen to it, it'll be a total different expirience. If you pay close attention to one single instrument in TMR you can truly see how complex it is. A lot of effort and thougth has been put in every single note of this album. TMR is like an alternative or psychedelic pop/hip-hop more than anything else, and what it makes it one of a kind.
So grab your Radiohead, Animal Collective, Faust, Death Grips, Swans, Xiu Xiu, etc. and shove it up your ass because TMR, and Captain Beefheart in general, defines experimental, avant-garde, and innovative while still being likeable and great
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.