[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ambient is shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

File: martin luther.jpg (42KB, 370x500px) Image search: [Google]
martin luther.jpg
42KB, 370x500px
can someone explain why ambient even exists?
there are no lyrics, it is devoid of any poetic beauty. and the melodies are simple as fuck
>>
Are those your only criteria for music?
>>
ambient is supposed to be background music
melodies and lyrics don't matter, it's all about t e x t u r e s
>>
I mean, it is fucking AMBIENT, what do you expect?
>>
>>61683472
are there any more?

>>61683477
sounds memey as fuck desu
>>
>>61683374
Love-hate pong: You go first with what you hate.
>>
>>61683374
And here we see what are known as "poor listening skills"
>>
>>61683374
>there are no lyrics
This doesn't matter.
>it is devoid of any poety beauty
This is your opinion.
>the melodies are simple as fuck
This also doesn't matter.
>>
>>61683374
Have at it OP, it's your serve.
>>
nice b8
>>
>>61683496
I mean there's a lot of music without lyrics at all, let alone poetic beauty. Some music is intentionally dissonant or places no weight on melodies.
For me, I started getting into ambient cause I dislike verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus songs
>>
>>61683518
>>61683496
This actually
Nothing fucking matters
Especially opinions
>>
>>61683374
>there are no lyrics
Lots of great music has no lyrics

> it is devoid of any poetic beauty
Thats very subjective, I've never heard a hip hop song with poetic beauty for example

>and the melodies are simple as fuck
Thats the point but still not always true
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu2eAI7viFw because it's relaxing.
>>
>>61683536
*except my opinions
>>
>>61683374
You need to stop approaching all music with the same ideals and goals. Ambient is meant to be just that, ambient.
>>
>>61683543
Sure
>>
>>61683540
>I've never heard a hip-hop song with poetic beauty
Probably because you've never listened to Doseone.
My point is, poeple who take anything at face value, even entire genres of music, are missing out.
>>
>>61683550
It was easier for me to get into a whole range of music I didn't like before when I figured intentionality doesn't matter in art
>>
music is gay
>>
File: 1452404897223.jpg (1MB, 1000x1510px) Image search: [Google]
1452404897223.jpg
1MB, 1000x1510px
>>61683374
Different music for different moods. If you need intense concentration, from working to mediation, ambient can be very relaxing.
>>
>>61683667
Or exhilarating in its lofty calm. This has proven its worth to me over the last 20 years, from the balcony of a cruise ship cabin, to winter nights like these when the sheer force of contrast between the bright warm interior and the dark frigidity outside makes a nice excuse for a fresh holiday of the imagination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggLTPyRXUKc
>>
>>61683853
>>61683541
>brian eno
>carbon based lifeforms

you're not helping your case.
here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4Ws3jTM_cQ
>>
>>61683374
Enlighten me, what do you consider a good song with lyrics, poetic beauty, and complex melodies?

Based off your first item on the list, I'm sorry you've never liked a movie soundtrack ever by the way, film must be difficult.
>>
>>61683910
>complex melody
look up any classical/romantic piece

>good song
subjective
>with lyrics
objective, which ambient is usually devoid of.

>poetic beauty
follows from it being lyrical.
>>
File: whoooo.jpg (88KB, 673x774px) Image search: [Google]
whoooo.jpg
88KB, 673x774px
>>61683560
>anti ambient hip hop defener
>>
Eno says that he wanted to make the musical experience something more interactive.

Ambient music creates a space and through your sensibility you can experience textures, temperute, flavores, odors etc..

It's all about immersion.
>>
>>61683560
>My point is, poeple who take anything at face value, even entire genres of music, are missing out.
Crunkcore and deathcore
>>
>>61683933
That wasn't the question. You literally like all classical/romantic pieces? I find that hard to believe. You know some of them don't have words, right?
>>
>>61683982
Did I say I liked them? They include complex melodies, thus its existence is justified.
>>
>>61683933
Like, you have some kind of values that you put on a pedestal, but can't name a single track that expresses them to you? Maybe people shouldn't bother with your opinion then.
>>
>>61683995
All you want to do is make an ad-hom out of it.
>>
>>61684003
Oh please, spare me the disingenuous "rational" arguments.
>>
>>61684012
Desu this is starting to sound like the same type of argumentation theists make to justify their views.
>>
>>61683374
ambient is not that much about music but more about immersion and to me is like the next level of music.
>>
>>61683374
do you dislike minimalism in all forms then?
>>
>>61684050
can someone explain why minimalism even exists?
>>
>>61684081
focus on one element/people like it/ so we know how amazing dream theater is
>>
>>61684081
parsimony is the soul of art
>>
>>61684023
You want me to play your fucking autistic game? OK

It's extremely arbitrary to say that certain things should exist because they meet random criteria you yourself posited. Apparently since you pose as a robot you need everything explained out to you in autist because whilst not actually being hyper-rational you'd like to comport yourself like your mind exists in some super-objective realm while you yourself are making the most stupid assumptions and forgetting that you are talking about music. We might as well hyper-analyze about what "justifies" anything existing at all. Nothing does, all shit is stuff and at the end people actually want to know why the fuck you want to even know what "justifies" the existence of things you don't even like. That would be why "rational" was put in quotes, because I doubt that you are in the first place and frankly I find you a charlatan. If you want a goddam full philosophical analyses you can start by reading shit instead of asking 4chan.
>>
>>61683536
Damn..
>>
>>61684099
So you couldn't find anyway to make an ad-hom attack because I wouldn't give it to you so you came up with your own instead. Kek.

>arbitrary
i remember when music meant something and not what people felt was music at the moment
>>
File: nicemarmot.jpg (10KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
nicemarmot.jpg
10KB, 250x250px
>>61684110
ja, we believe in nothing!
>>
>>61683875
To whom the example is persuasive, let it be. To whom it is not, let that be also. In telling a story of my own experience the case I make is not for my own leanings, but for autobiography as a procedure for finding and naming what one's leanings are, and what goes with them.
>>
>>61684658
I'm digging it
>>
>>61683961
Music more airborne than earthy, as well as suggestive of imagery & feeling on the oceanic of all outdoors. It's not the only mode of ambient, but it is the major one as much by definition as by practice.
>>
>>61684115
le ad hom le ad hom le ad hom le ad hom
Talk like a goddam adult. No one cares about your neckbeard lewronggeneration "muh music MEANT something" bullshit.
>>
>>61684743
If your goal was to paint yourself like a drooling retard, well, congratulations, you've succeeded.
>>
>>61684750
Nice ad-hom attack there.
>>
File: 1409552216301.jpg (43KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1409552216301.jpg
43KB, 500x333px
>>61683374
>there are no lyrics
>>
>>61683875

what's wrong with CBL?
>>
File: Kant.jpg (146KB, 554x467px) Image search: [Google]
Kant.jpg
146KB, 554x467px
>>61684793
I'm playing in your level, buddy.
>>
>>61683374

Free will.
>>
>>61683540
>I've never heard a hip hop song with poetic beauty for example
This: >>61683560
And some other examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqM8bdgIex4
>It's poetry, no, it's closer to a finger painting
>From the simpler days when everything
>Was crayon-wax and pencil shavings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP5DryxjkeE
>We speak a secret language. Explaining scars,
>Birds in the trees, waterfalls and flaming stars.
>All the little things that can take my breath away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esNRFXxu0wE
>Now he can't sleep, but stays awake, dreams of better days
>When he wrote her love letters and the weather didn't seem so great

These are love and breakup related, but most poetry is pussywax anyway.
>>
File: th eq.png (4KB, 334x264px) Image search: [Google]
th eq.png
4KB, 334x264px
>>61684687
Sometimes I give it an EQ roughly like this, whatever tames the piano peaks a bit, gives the whole more humming thunder & shimmering air.
>>
>>61684937
>those verses
>not cringe material
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XUnzZuhdnw

>no lyrics

Fuck you OP
>>
I don't think ambient is only for the relaxing/background sounds purpose. There are plenty of ambient artists whose ambient is quite engaging, stimulating and worthy of attentive listening. Tim Hecker is the most popular guy on /mu/ who fits this bill.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.