[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't get it. Can someone red pill me on bjork?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9

File: Post.jpg (609KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Post.jpg
609KB, 1500x1500px
I don't get it. Can someone red pill me on bjork?
>>
BIG
>>
BIG
>>
SHELL BE FINE
>>
not for you

some of her vocals are tiring esp in her latest
this does not include stonemilker/lionsong/black lake
>>
Listen to Debut. Did you like it?

>Yes
Move forward.

>No
Listen to it again.
>>
>>61654566
this.
>>
>>61654566
I've done this at the behest of my Bjork loving friends, and still nothing. Usually something clicks when I like an artist, but I formed no attachments to Bjork. I wanted someone to maybe lift the veil, helping me see what I'm missing. Bjork fans from my experience are almost arrogant in how vehemently they push Bjork, but I just don't hear it.
>>
>>61654919
This is true and I say this as a fan. She's not for everyone, Björk is certainly an acquired taste. I really think listening to Homogenic and Vespertine is the best way to go, since those are her magnum opus.
>>
>>61654347
nothing to get. It's a meme to troll people around here
>>
>>61655013
Homogenic is GOAT experimental electronica.

Also, Björk is an acquired taste, so don't worry if it is shit. Music is incredibly subjective, anyhow.
>>
>>61654347
VICTORY! *bang*

>sound of blood pouring intensifies
>>
>>61656839
You forget the gurgling.
>>
>>61654347
hyperballad
joga
where is the line
frosti

i'd give these tracks a try. if you don't like any of them, maybe bjork isn't for you. what kinda music do you like btw?
>>
File: bjork lives on.png (143KB, 1366x342px) Image search: [Google]
bjork lives on.png
143KB, 1366x342px
>>61654347
Bjork will never die, right?
>>
>>61654381
STOP! NO
>>
File: thom yorke bjork impression.jpg (50KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
thom yorke bjork impression.jpg
50KB, 400x300px
>>61654347
she has some good poppy songs. sometimes she gets a little too experimental for my taste and makes me uncomfortable but I'd give these songs a shot.

https://youtu.be/-SDWFvsN2lw
https://youtu.be/TV-lb8tDzHA
https://youtu.be/8Rhpp9SpK2Y
>>
>>61654347
I'm having a staring contest with the Post cover.
>>
>>61654919
Imagine telling your friends you don't like her when you live in Iceland, it's suffering
>>
she makes songs about having sex and tries to be kate bush
>>
>>61657725
I'm pretty sure they offered bjork her own island over there. she is in no exaggeration a queen there.
>>
Just started her debut album up, let's see how this goes lads.
>>
I'm not sure what this means, but I love her singing voice at the same time I hate her music.
>>
File: cosby2.jpg (66KB, 620x480px) Image search: [Google]
cosby2.jpg
66KB, 620x480px
>>61654347

Sure, i've got some red ones somewhere
>>
I don't think bjork is an acquired taste. Her music is more a thing you have to be predisposed to. I liked folk and bluegrassy stuff and was dead tired of the usual pop/electronic by the time I started listening around volta.
>>
File: tyorke.jpg (63KB, 608x461px) Image search: [Google]
tyorke.jpg
63KB, 608x461px
I don't get it. Can someone red pill me on t'yorke?
>>
>>61657975
I think I was cheated into liking Bjork since I use to hear her music a lot when growing up.
>>
>>61655307
>Music is incredibly subjective, anyhow.

I've been perusing this site for the last almost 10 years now and /mu/ has never grasped this concept.
>>
>>61658159
I didn't. I hadn't heard anything further out than deep woods Appalachian music. The voice never bothered me. Her music was an entry into like 10 different genres of dank ethnic shit and experimental electronic for me.

Now enya is an acquired fucking taste, and even then, you have to be naturally immune to the effects.
>>
>>61658304
Not who you replied too, but I kinda was/am a music pleb and I kinda first listened to Bjork when I was 17 or so. All I really listened to was 90s gangster rap, Aphex Twin, and 90s alt. It was "Big Time Sensuality" and it just appealed to me so I started listening to more and I just liked it.

I don't know if there's a standard way to get into Bjork, but I think Debut is the most oft traveled path.
>>
>>61657846
how is it?
>>
>>61658370
I'd say bjork is the first time many of us had to let go of opinions and preconceived notions of what we like and what sounds good to us. I got in before volta with some things but shit like the polyrhythms with the horns on wanderlust hooked me. Black Coffee and venus as a boy were some of the first songs I listened to after the singles, but it wasn't until I dove into the albums that I really liked it. I was like 15 or so. Somewhere before that, I was listening to a lot of vocal jazz for some reason.

I don't think how you get into bjork is as important as what you have listened to before it. If you haven't listened to much outside the mainstream, it could be considered an acquired taste, but the taste isn't for bjork so much as styles of music you are unfamiliar with.
>>
File: R-326736-1155143814.jpeg.jpg (77KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
R-326736-1155143814.jpeg.jpg
77KB, 600x600px
>>61656954
I'll give these a listen. My music taste tends to span over a myriad of genres. Although, right now I'm listening to a lot of lo-fi stuff, and the record I've been getting into most is Modern English's first LP: Mesh & Lace. It isn't what people have come to expect of the band; it's not poppy at all.
>>
the trick to liking bjork, which is also the trick to liking any shitty hipster music, is to listen to it enough times that it becomes tolerable
>>
>>61658941
Bjork is far from hipster status though. and I don't think that's true, I feel you either like her music or don't regardless of how many times you listen.
>>
>>61658941
Wow you're right I guess I don't like bjork now.
>>
>>61657931

kek
>>
>>61659047
I agree with the latter part of your post, but based on how pretentious bjork fans are I'd say it'd be good company for "hipster music."
>>
I'm a sucker for big dance numbers, It's Oh So Quiet will always be a favourite
>>
File: MPW-32886.jpg (81KB, 500x740px) Image search: [Google]
MPW-32886.jpg
81KB, 500x740px
>>61659414
her cover of that song is pretty cute. I would also check out Dancer in the Dark if you haven't already.
>>
>>61654347
Just watch Leon: The Professiona and if you don't think this scene and song compliment one another perfectly don't even bother https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-nq2kEEL5o
>>
>>61658154
hes a big guy
>>
>>61654566
i started at Vespertine when i was a teenager and didn't like Debut at all but loved that one. i don't think that's necessarily good advice
>>
>>61658154
HAHA

but no, he sucks
>>
File: 1437266960678.jpg (45KB, 858x725px) Image search: [Google]
1437266960678.jpg
45KB, 858x725px
>>61654381
I WILL RIP YOUR FUCKING LUNGS OUT
>>
>>61658941
>listen to it enough times that it becomes tolerable

you've never watched a really involved movie and then had to watch it a second or third time to really digest all the ideas? why does it immediately have to be this immature "le bad hipster music" thing?
>>
>>61658154
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVvO4mPoZiA
>>
Björk is basically a modern David Bowie. Good at marketing, copying whatever is cool at the moment and giving songs a certain mythic quality to them. Shit at anything else.
>>
>>61654347
decent, slightly artsy pop music with a woman singing about sex in a level-headed way.
>>
>>61661378
this

he'll be fine though
>>
>>61658468

I enjoyed it a lot, Only songs I didn't care for were There's more like this and Aeroplane. Gonna check out here next few projects chronologically or something.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqfQXJSvbo4

That dated stinger sound that's in this song is great. it's such a product of its time and I love it for that.
>>
>>61659855
Absolutely amazing film.
>>
>>61662064
>woman singing about sex
I think I can count on my fingers the number of times Bjork has sung about sex.
>>
>>61662572
this. I think a lot more of Bjork's songs are about abstract ideas from situations she's been in and how she felt. like in the way that Debut was a lot about her sadness of leaving Iceland and living with this new fame in England.
>>
>>61662064
Bjork hasn't made 'artsy pop music' since 1995
She lost most of her pop sensibilities a long time ago.
>>
>>61662722
you can't deny that lionsong definitely had some pop influence in it.
>>
>>61662722
>Bjork hasn't made 'artsy pop music' since 1995
You don't listen to bjork
>>
It's the entry level Bjork.

Didn't you find her quite lovely? Enchanting even?

She's no Ms. Antony Hegarty, but come on.
>>
>>61662761
I have
Since Homogenic, she makes shitty meandering wanky music that only occasionally has any pop quality to it
>>
>>61654347

BJORK HIT BY TRAIN
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.