[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help needed with first electric guitar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: EpiphoneLesPaulSpecialII.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
EpiphoneLesPaulSpecialII.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
Anyone here play electric guitar? I want to start playing it but have no idea which electric guitar to get. I read on about Epiphone Les Paul Special II, and the reviews were mixed. Either people really liked it as their first guitar, or absolutely despised it. Main complaint was it being out of tune most of the time. Would anyone recommend this for a beginner? If not, what other electric guitar would you recommend? Don't want to spend too much money on my first electric guitar that I probably can't even play well yet.
>>
>>61600317
what music do you like
>>
>>61600331
Mostly hard rock. Was planning on learning Sweet Child O' Mine as my first song.
>>
>>61600352
Definitely get a 'Les Paul' then. However I'd recommend a LTD 'EC' over an Epiphone. Much better guitars imo.
>>
>>61600393
This is my first time looking into electric guitars. I'm a complete noob at this. I searched Les Paul LTD EC, but there were various models like EC-401, EC-256, etc. Also, what is this guitar's price range? Not looking to spend too much on a first time guitar.
>>
>>61600429
Just get the most expensive model you can afford. Also don't get one with a Floyd Rose i.e. Whammy Bar
>>
>>61600429
>>61600459
I started with an Epiphone Special II and I'd say it's a good cheap guitar to use until you git gud. You won't find a better guitar in it's price range. But honestly, if you can, you're better off spending a bit more money for a quality instrument that will last. When it comes to electric guitars you're paying more for the construction and pickups than the shape and colour so be sure to check those out before buying anything.

Don't spend too much on a practice amp though, you won't be using it outside of your house. Only consider buying a more pricey amp when you're good enough to jam in a band.
>>
Just get the Fender Squier Stratocaster, ist cheap and good for beginning
>>
>>61600617
Epiphones are crap. LTDs are much better guitars for the same price. I've owned both and the LTD was far superior

>>61601069
He said he wants to play hard rock, dummy
>>
>>61601137
What LTD do you own?
>>
Do you have a local guitar shop?

It's good to try some out to see what you like.
>>
>>61601335
Yeah I have two of them. I've been looking through their store websites for the guitars some suggested here. But appears they have little to few of them. Might have to drop by the stores on Monday. The thing is, I'm a beginner so I might not be able to tell what really does sound good, because I never played one before. I want one to start practicing with
>>
>>61601375
If you say your looking for a first guitar they'll probably give you a hand.
>>
Okay, what is your total budget for everything? Amplifiers are really more important to your sound. Also, do you live somewhere urban that has a decent used market?
>>
>>61601465
I live in an urban are yeah. I mean I guess $300 maybe. The thing is, I didn't want to overblow my budget on my first guitar, because I might suck ass for a while before I learn to play well so I probably feel like I spent far too much money to suck this much. So okay budget may be $300-$400. If I can't get much with that I might have to wait it out a bit until I save up more money.
>>
>>61601465
As for used guitars would you recommend to buy one used? Only thing I'm afraid of is that I can't tell how it should sound compared to a brand new one, so I might buy one that is completely fucked up.
>>
>>61601500
300 will be kind of hard to pull off with something that sounds good, but its possible. The thing is, if it sounds like shit or doesn't play well, you won't want to play because you will have a hard time sounding good, even as you get decent. Do you know anybody who plays and could get them to go look at some with you?

For $300 setup, trying to play hard rock, I don't really know what you could get that would be good quality. I just don't have much experience with stuff in the price range. If you even went up to $400, you could get something probably alot nicer.

At that price point, you pretty much have to go used to get a setup worth anything. Since you will want an amplifier with some gain, you will have to go with something a little bit less quality than something that's made for clean sounds. For $300, you probably just want to buy the cheapest guitar (that has humbucking or P90 pickups) you can get that isn't horribly awful and use the rest of the money on getting the best amplifier you can find.
>>
>>61601716
Okay let's say I up it to $400 to $500 somehow. I probably can but will take a bit more time, will that be able to get me a decent guitar? I just need a decent enough guitar to begin playing. Just something to practice notes on, and maybe within some months play small parts of a song. I have one friend that does play guitar, might ask him. Only reason I didn't is because I thought he would straight up tell me to buy some expensive guitar. I think I still might ask him
>>
>>61601825
Well if you have the time to practice, you will be surprised how quickly you can progress beyond the initial stages into playing stuff that actually sounds okay, and you will probably want to replace all of your stuff in like 9-14 months. I said to try and get a decent amplifier, because not only will it sound better than a decent guitar with a bad amp, but then you will have an amp that you won't need to replace for a while. If you buy super entry-level stuff, you will likely just be wanting to replace at the first opportunity you get. posting now to bump 1/2
>>
>>61601322
I used to own a MH-53 but I sold it.

>>61601825
Assuming you're in the USA, you should be able to find a EC-100 and a Peavey Vypyr for like $300. Pretty good beginner setup.
>>
>>61601987
Alright then I think I might save up some money if I'm going to replace it that quick. I'll take a look into my local guitar stores on Monday to see the amplifier and ask them for some beginners guitar they suggest that will last for a good amount of time. What amplifier would you suggest by the way?
>>
>>61601825
>>61601987
2/2

I would ask your friend, if he actually is knowledgeable, but alot of people who play aren't. That's is why guitar players get sold so much snake oil crap, and why finding a good first guitar is a task. If you have a local shop (not GC/Sam Ash or a chain) with guys who aren't retarded, go in and ask them some questions, ask them if they wouldn't mind playing on the guitar/amps in your price range to see how they sound. Really, there is probably some kind of checklist you can find for buying a new guitar online and importannt things to look at like fretwork/action and things that affect play-ability. I got to go so i can't elaborate further, sorry. Don't ask in /gg/, they aren't always very smart and it could be terrible advice depending on who answers. If you want a straightforward answer, I think an LP special I or II with either a used Vox VT series amp or something like a ZT lunchbox junior or an orange crush series will probably be alright. Not the best, but you could sneak it under $300 for everything, including cable and picks and tuner, and it would probably be pretty okay. I can't really say though, because I have never played a special. try to find it used,that way if you don't like it, you can turn right around and sell it for your money back or at least close to it.
>>
>>61602093

Fender Mustang 1 is GOAT practice amp.
>>
>>61600617
I started with an Epiphone Junior and since have gotten better equipment but I still play it from time to time. It's held up pretty nicely over the years.
>>
As this is thread of guitarists I'll ask here:

What is the best "teach yourself guitar" youtube series? Anything with a blues or rock and roll bent is better but I'll take anything.

I just spent too much on a guitar and now need to justify it by moving beyond top of the neck chords
>>
>>61600317
I own a LP special ii, and the main complaint about it being out of tune is mainly because of the nut. If you lube it up a bit it stays in tune pretty well and is a pretty great guitar for the price.
>>
>>61600317
Do you have any used stores in your area like a musicgoround or something? I know a lot of beginner guitarists wanna get a new one for their first guitar, but you can easily find something way better used within the same price range.

As for music style, you said hard rock so really anything with a humbucking pickup would do to start. Epiphone is good, but their lower-priced guitars lack in quality in my experience.

Also, regardless of what you decide to purchase, and I can't stress this enough (even if you've never played before) - go in the store and actually try playing the guitar before you buy it. Get a feel for the neck, the weight of the body, etc. You're gonna be playing it a lot (hopefully) so at least get something that feels comfortable. If you buy online you won't be able to do that.

Finally, ask for them to set it up if possible. Most stores won't bother doing that when they get the guitars in. It takes 15 minutes tops and might run you 20 dollars. It's very worth it in my opinion, as a poorly set up guitar will go out of tune pretty fast which can be frustrating for newer players.

Oh, and as far as amps go - avoid the cheap fender amps like the 15g or whatever. They sound like shit and are noisy as fuck. Get an inexpensive solid-state vox or one of the Fender Mustang Amps.

>>61604857
Marty Schwartz/Martyzsongs
https://www.youtube.com/user/martyzsongs

He has a lot of good tutorials
>>
File: 1445485712475.png (597KB, 596x680px) Image search: [Google]
1445485712475.png
597KB, 596x680px
>>61604857
riff of the week imo thb senpai
>>
My first guitar was a beat up les paul copy made by some Japanese company named Ventura. Later on down the line I put Gibson pick ups in it though because I like it so much. I say start with a Squire strat or an Epiphone Les Paul (definitely not the melody maker that is in the picture).
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.