[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

at what point do we call bullshit on the Banger Defense? i saw

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 2

File: hashbrown.jpg (69KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
hashbrown.jpg
69KB, 600x600px
at what point do we call bullshit on the Banger Defense?

i saw someone on youtube defend "Bitch U Guessed It" by saying it's not supposed to be complex or intelligent, it's supposed to "go hard". i don't really see how a four-note piano loop and an 808 constitutes as "going hard".
>>
Not all music is made to be complex or lyrically thought provoking or whatever.

Since music's purpose is to convey emotion a number of musicians make music that "goes hard" because it is tailored to a lifestyle/feeling that fans of said musician could resonate with

I for one like stuff like flockavelli because it makes me feel badass when in reality I'm sitting here defending the artistic merit of future
on a cantoneese rotoscope gallery
>>
>>61535845
dgmw, i think it's a legitimate reason to like something but sometimes it's just flat out untrue, and is used to defend ridiculous-sounding music that just happens to be loud
>>
>>61535781
who cares ? if you don't like bangers why waste time getting mad over other people's enjoyment go do something else with your life.
>>
>>61535781

actually i thought "bitch u guessed it" to be pretty neat due to the minimalistic beat which imo still brought enough "bangereffect"
>>
>>61535961
if you dont like my thread why waste time getting mad over other people's 4chan posts go do something else with your life
>>
>>61535885
Sometimes the sheer ridiculousness of something is the appeal. It's like a fantasy thing.

I will probably never manufacture crack in an abandoned house but it's still fun to hear about it sometimes. It's kinda like watching movies
>>
>>61535781
ur a faggot
>>
Well if u think making trap music is just using the same piano loop and using just one 808 then maybe it's you that's not complex or intelligent.
>>
>>61536019
faggot
>>
>>61535781
b8
>>
>>61535781
It's the genre style, its doing something new for the Atlanta sound and that's why people are praising it.
If you think it's shit, that's fair, but it is doing something. Although I'm sure YouTube commented are not giving it justice
>>
u guessed it is dope tho bruh lmao im bet ur fun at parties desu ahahaha ... baka im cryn senpai
>>
>>61535781
Are you retarded? Music is made to make people feel a certain way. Anyone who thinks they get something more out of music are deluding themselves. That delusion is the feeling you're seeking btw.
>>
>>61535781
You're clearly outnumbered in this argument, so at what point do you discontinue trying to discount music that isn't inherently TRYING to be super deep? Music doesn't need to have a distinct purpose. It's a spectrum.
>>
>>61536223
not really
>>
It's funny because Future is boring af
>>
>>61535781
But U Guessed It isn't supposed to be complex or intelligent. It is supposed to go hard. And it does go hard.

>i don't really see how a four-note piano loop and an 808 constitutes as "going hard"
Well when you put those things together with hard as fuck bass and a yelling black guy, it goes pretty fucking hard.
>>
>>61535961
>>61536404
>>61536444
you're making sense, but on this board we're always trying to rate things out of 10 right

what score does a "banger" that's otherwise simple get? 4 at most?
>>
>>61536570
>what score does a "banger" that's otherwise simple get?
if it's average for its kind, 5. if it's above average, 6.
>>
>>61536570
>>
>>61536061
>trap
>complex
>>
I really don't understand where the love for "bangers" comes from. You can have music that is hard and still has talented rapping like RTJ. Music made for the sole purpose of being loud, aggressive, and 'hard', without serving as an experiment or feelings-provoking should be seen as braindead as it is. Artists like Future and Travis Scott shouldn't be enjoying nearly the amount of mainstream success they have.
>>
>>61536820
or you can enjoy both ! Future's stuff is great especially when I'm at the gym getting that pump
>>
>>61535781
I'm honestly more impressed by something that convey the emotional energy a banger has. The more minimal approach is exciting and reminds me of basic channel, or terry riley
>>
>>61536820
It's not like they murdered their competition and stole their songs or they're oppressing people with their songs, they make music that's exciting and appeals to people. I think the popularity of those songs is indicative of people passively listening to music more than artists being wrongfully popular
>>
>>61536820
RTJ doesn't give the same fix as Future and Travis Scott do. RTJ can be pretty annoying for a lot of people because it sounds like they're trying so hard. That's not a good thing. The Future, 2 Chainz, Travis Scott have is that it sounds like they are just going with the flow and fucking around, and it gives the listener the same feeling. And being in that state helps them be more relaxed and social. Listening to something like RTJ would just put you more in your head.
>>
>>61537030
>because it sounds like they're trying so hard.
What. El and Mike sound like they have a lot of fun making these albums, it doesn't sound "le tryhard" at all. Plus, I would hope they put serious effort if they're putting out solid production and bars.
>>
>>61536820
Dude Travis Scott has some amazing engineering with his production and mixing. Some small touches are sprinkled in that are pretty unseen in mainstream hip hop currently. RTJ is rap for white high school boys to blast in their subarus
>>
>>61536820
>>61537059
RTJ is trash get over it
>>
>>61537085
>RTJ is rap for white high school boys to blast in their subarus
Oh fuck off, plenty of black people like RTJ as well. The whole "it's so white xD" criticism is usually levelled at hip hop which tries to be more than a banger, because apparently only white people can appreciate things like lyrical ability.
>>
>>61537119
Le angry patrician. It's a 7/10, deal with it.
>>
>>61537131
I'm white as hell OK and I love white arty hip hop. I also like Young Thug.

RTJ fails to do either well
>>
>>61537059
I'm not saying it sounds le tryhard like eminem, I'm saying it sounds like they are trying. They are putting effort into their work. You may want them to put serious effort, that's fine. But people don't always want something that sounds goal oriented. Why are the things babies do and say so appealing? Because there is no trying at all. The most likable people are those that don't seem to be trying. Seeing someone act in a way that shows no self-consciousness is contagious. But the opposite is also contagious. When you're in a fun party mindset, the last thing you want is anything that gets in the way of being carefree.
>>
>>61537214
>I love white arty hip hop
Again with the racist ass bullshit. Apparently black people can't or don't like "arty" hip hop or hip hop that doesn't anything new. Now I'm not going to pretend RTJ is something super-experimental, but fuck man, given the landscape of hip hop right now, it's cool to see two older dudes doing something uncommon for the scene right now. Plus, El-P is kind of legendary, so I have respect for him.
>>
>>61537059

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzKd0aiaK4c

These guys look like they're having a lot of fun, but they've still obviously spent a lot of time practicing to get good enough to make something difficult look easy. Sometimes you just want to listen to punk rock made by a bunch of kids who can barely hold their instruments. Same concept.
>>
>>61537223
>But people don't always want something that sounds goal oriented.
I'm not that other guy, I'm just defending RTJ from what I think are bullshit counterpoints. I agree, hip hop doesn't always have to be super-conscious or whatever. Personally, bangers don't appeal to me a ton, and I tend to get tired of them quickly, but that's just me.
>>
>>61536820
>RTJ
>intelligent
spot the cuck
>>
>>61536820
I need different different rappers for different situations. If I'm tryna be relaxed for the day, I'd put some Joey Bada$$ or maybe some J. Cole (Even if he's overhyped as hell). Now if I feel like lifting weights or going to get fucked up at a party, I'd enjoy something like a Future album or a Three 6 Mafia track
>>
>>61537223
>>61537030

I love RTJ and this is completely right. People don't listen to music with stupid lyrics because they're stupid people, they just want to have fun and not think about much for a while.

If you think about how many people get off on thinking they're geniuses for listening to entry level hipster music, you might prefer the trap music fans.
>>
>>61535781
you're kind of stupid. no music requires a defense.
>>
Both Killer Mike and El P were far better independently than together. Its only when they watered down their sound and created poptimist lite banger rap that the the p4kists got in on the act.
>>
>>61539415
>no music requires a defense
you're kind of stupid
seriously
>>
>>61537085
You're fucking really stupid if u think travis Scott makes all of his beats
>>
>>61537131
Buttmad for getting called out, stop posting anytime
>>
>>61536820
lol rtj fan talking about hip hop
>>
>>61540166
im not even a travis scott fan but isnt that how he became where he is today? by making beats and producing?
i just wikid it and he coproduced every song on the album
what the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>61537006
There's no harm in any music. I'm just saying that there is no reason to acclaim Young Thug and Future as geniuses of the decade (Pitchfork and Washington Post are heavily guilty of this).
>>
>>61541816
>coproduced
is sitting back and saying "yea that's a good snare breh use that one" -really- coproducing
>>
>>61536820
Back to Reddit.
>>
>>61535845
>cantoneese rotoscope gallery
hahahaha
>>
>>61537085
Scott isn't as good of an example, but I never see anyone listening to anything other than Antidote by him.
>>
File: Capture.png (30KB, 1211x398px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
30KB, 1211x398px
>>61541816
>isnt that how he became where he is today? by making beats and producing?
Nope, he just has good connections

Pic related, only the Metro Boomin tracks list him as a co-producer, when they sound like any other Metro Boomin beat
>>
>>61536820
>I really don't understand where the love for "bangers" comes from. You can have music that is hard and still has talented rapping like RTJ.
except the concept of bangers focus more on the beat than the lyrics
if you have an audio system and are listening to bangers on it, you're probably not going to make out the lyrics too well over the bass
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.