[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can autistic people appreciate music if they cannot feel empathy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 6

File: autistic person.jpg (488KB, 2786x2087px) Image search: [Google]
autistic person.jpg
488KB, 2786x2087px
Can autistic people appreciate music if they cannot feel empathy?
>>
>>53241356
>Autistic people cannot feel empathy

What?
>>
File: Glenn Branca - The Ascension.jpg (78KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Glenn Branca - The Ascension.jpg
78KB, 500x500px
>>53241356
I think so, some of my favorite music puts me into a pretty unemotional state

Pic related gets me apathetic as fuck but I still love it
>>
I guess they can, but they can't understand the lyrics. Also they are more likely to clinge to one or two genres only.
>>
This kid has one if the most batshit photos so he was probably listening to straight vapourwave
>>
i feel that this thread is rather unrelatable
>>
>>53241387
>they can't understand the lyrics.
citation needed

>they are more likely to clinge to one or two genres only.
citation needed
>>
I literally cannot make that facial expression even if I try my hardest that's a proper nutter right there
>>
>>53241387
My former roommate was a former aspie and he could NOT listen to any music that had lyrics in it
it was frustrating as fuck that this kid would only listen to world music, newgrounds electronic music, and the halo theme
>>
>>53241387
>they can't understand the lyrics
they can though. they can easily relate things to themselves
>>
A lot of people who are really deep into music are likely to be autists though.

Most people I know in real life that are very knowledgable about music are spergs.
>>
I believe most great artists are inside the autism spectrum

However, total aspies (assuming they are the savant type) can master an instrument but can't do little more than technical wankery
>>
>>53241387
>they are more likely to clinge to one or two genres only.

My brother has aspergers and he will listen to like the same 5 songs over and over again. He hates headphones, too, so it gets really fucking obnoxious. Also, I remember there was some guy on /a/ or something that only listened to 1 Linkin Park song. It was the only song on his iTunes and it had like 80,000 plays.
>>
>>53241483
jw, what 5 songs?
>>
>>53241483

I have an autistic relative who will only listen to one or two albums constantly and refuse to listen to anything else

smh damn retards
>>
worked with a guy that had autism. all he did was talk about basketball and as far as i know he only listened to tool and NIN.
>>
the most autistic person i know pretty much only listens to Aphex, Autechre, Clark, Venetian Snares, and other idm

he says he rarely listens to stuff with vox
>>
>>53241462
I know autism gets used pretty loosely around here, but socially awkward nerds are not necessarily autists

in some ways, I suspect lots of socially anxious people are very un-autistic since they pick up on social cues and are very sensitive to them
>>
>>53241387
absolutely retarded
>>53241356
thats a psychopath or a sociopath, not an autistic
>>
This autist used to be my roommate and all he listens to is very obscure avantgarde metal and strange psychedelic shit.

He was listening to this one song on loop for an hour yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRYSClWPp2g
>>
>>53241528
>I suspect lots of socially anxious people are very un-autistic since they pick up on social cues and are very sensitive to them

Being really good at picking up social cues can also be a symptom of being in the autism spectrum, being in the autism spectrum doesn't have to be bad, it also has it's postive sides
>>
>>53241372
>>53241400
>>53241408
>>53241447
>>53241530
AIDF pls go
>>
>>53241530

let's be honest here, most autists are a day or two away from the headlines

that's why they live such short lives
>>
music still is vibrations and suggests movement, etc

it's still exciting and pleasurable to hear even if someone doesn't understand it in an emotional and human dimension
>>
>>53241528
Most diagnosed autists, at least aspies/high functioning autists tend to just be socially awkward.

That's one of the biggest things of high functioning autism, social issues
>>
I have major asperger's/autism but I'm "high-functioning", the problems are more related to social anxiety and being really obsessed with patterns and routines and organization and shit like that. I feel plenty of emotion and empathy (although probably not as much, for example I haven't cried in years).
>>
>>53241507
Well, they change periodically but it's only 5 songs within a span of 6 months to a year. He moved away about a year ago but I remember him making me listen to this song like 500 times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vedgTokXj04

At least it's better than when he was really into Korn and Disturbed(only their most popular songs, of course).
>>
>>53241564
>being in the autism spectrum doesn't have to be bad
yes but it usually is. most of them arnt high funtioning and its generally rare that one of the things they obsess over is of any use. plety of them that dont get social ques just end up being really rude people and not even knowing it.
>>
>>53241562
Jesus christ lel
>>
>>53241575
Most autists are actually pretty normal people.
Extreme autism is very rare.
The news obviously just post the bad shit, they ignore the biggest part of the autistic community that are pretty normal and most of the times very socially fit, that's how the media works, you should know that.
>>
>>53241528
this.

ive worked with kids with autism and it's fucked up how people on 4chan call anyone a bit socially awkward "autistic."
>>
>>53241567
solid arguments, brother
>>
>>53241356
I'm autistic and I feel a whole lot of empathy, even for non-humans. I also write music.
>>
Full blown autist here. I literally shit ass burgers

I listen exclusively to classical, psych rock, and metal ;^)
>>
>>53241644
>Most autists are actually pretty normal people
no thats meme-autism. people with actual autism usually have some sort of issues
>>
>>53241652
>it's fucked up
No it isn't, when someone on 4chan calls someone autistic he doesn't literally mean it

Just like when you call someone a faggot, you don't literally mean it either
>>
I have severe autism. im extremely retarded. I also host a youtube music review series with my friend, CAL.
>>
>>53241678
Most autists function pretty well though. It's the truth. It's only the major autists you hear about, which is why to most people, the major autists seem to be the most abundant.
>>
>>53241382
Fuck yeah, Glenn Branca
>>
>>53241678
Obviously, because autism is a "sort of issue".
Most of the times its under control with medication.
Friendly, stop using meme as a prefix, its makes you look like cancer.
>>
>>53241678
>meme-autism
That's a new one
>>
That feeling when I have "mild asperger's," so I'm barely autistic yet have to deal with all the misconceptions of autism.
>>
>>53241562
dude your roommate is hella metal
>>
>>53241709
i dont believe in this mild secret autism. with every autistic person i have ever met it was quite appearent they had the condition within like 2 minutes. its like when doctors used to throw around ADHD diagnosises for basically any reason. now the trend is just autism
>>
I was diagnosed with mild assburgers as a child and for a long time my main problem was that i couldn't pick up on body langues and facial cues, it just made socializing a bit awkward in general. So i just started to make an effort and focus on body language and stuff alot more, soon i could easily understand how someone was feeling and act accordingly. Now as an adult i have a pretty normal social life and don't really have the troubles i use to, all it takes is a bit of effort on the your part.
>>
>>53241775
anything to make a buck
>>
I've been diagnosed with autism, and I can honestly tell you that autism is nothing but the feeling of there being a psychological lamination separating you from your existence, one which can be overcome through the practicing of mindfulness. We're not inhuman, and we do feel empathy. I even write music, and play shows around town.
>>
>>53241719
>stop using meme as a prefix
well what do you want me to call it? autism as used by /mu/ is not the same as real autism
>>
>>53241356
the last time i came here was like 2 weeks ago and this thread was here

tired meme is tired
>>
>>53241775
Because a lot of high functioning autists are either under meds, or a lot of them learn to control the most immediate symptoms of autism out in public by the time they're adults.
>>
>>53241818
I was being serious,I wasn't talking about the internet "autistic" insult, which I made pretty fucking obvious in my statement.
>>
>>53241356
Sperg here.

I really tend to bend towards percussion heavy songs, or songs that focus more on percussion than anything else, especially twitchy, rapid stuff like Aphex Twin or... Hell, most of breakcore, though sometimes the bass can muddy up the drums.

I dunno if that's just more of a preference thing, but I'm almost hypnotized if a song has good/super clear percussion.
>>
>>53241775
This is retarded
>>
>>53241829

50 posts apparently not m8
>>
>>53241596
>I haven't cried in years
That's just a mode of expressing emotions, so it says very little about the presence of those. Nothing to worry about I'd say.
>>53241652
I usually don't use the term casually for the very reason that it can be a serious condition that doesn't manifest in the way the shitposts on here would make you believe. I however think that even afflicted people on here are able to see this usage for what it is. I'll admit that I sometimes find this kind of exaggerated interpretation funny.
>>
>>53241775

pls read up the definition of "spectrum" you fucking idiot
>>
>>53241848
and i used meme to differ it from the real thing. whats you issue? i was putting what you were talking about in the shit fake catagory
>>
>>53241886

You are literally retarded
along with all the other spergs posting here
>>
>Tfw no qt aspie gf.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxrQ4ITzx94
>>
>>53241888
Which is wrong.
And the meme just makes you look like a retarded.
>>
Is there a diagnostic test I can take to find out if I'm out autistic? I seriously think I may be mildly autistic
>>
>>53241886
so basically if you are uncomfortable ever or like anythingficy way that now falls under the spectrum? guess almost everyone is autistic now
>>
>>53241901

>hurr durrr mental ailments are clear-cut, unambiguous definitions
>>
>>53241911
>Which is wrong
its not.
>>
>>53241356
That's why /mu/ exists.
>>
>>53241944
So you don't "believe" in mild autism?
Whats next, not believing in the color grey?
>>
>>53241922

never said that you fucking retard, never said that trying to defend the "lol I'm so awkward such an autist xD"

It's the idiot here >>53241775 thinking psychology is black and white thing. Most mental conditions are simply diagnosed by "if you fit 5 of these 9 criteria then you suffer from X", even though the person might only fit 3 and be completely inside the spectrum because the 3 are manifested horribly, or have all of them in a mild form and be fairly functional

fucking idiots
>>
>>53241926

this is 4chan, you dumb faggot.

go jerk off to Temple Grandin pictures.
>>
>>53241967
not him,
but thats surely a solid argument :^)
>>
Fun fact: High-functioning autism is not "mild" autism.
>>
>>53241957
no, i believe autism is way over diagnosised these days. i know autism is a vague and isnt a specific thing but it gets thrown around as an excuse for everything now
>>
File: higher state of being hank.png (416KB, 500x478px) Image search: [Google]
higher state of being hank.png
416KB, 500x478px
>How ulillillia processes his music (part 1 of 4)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv69WBNv6tU
>>
>>53242015

Hey now. Leave Ulillillia out of it. That dude is great.
>>
>>53241709
I'm relieved to hear this. I think I'm half autistic but I thought "mild autism" didn't exist
>>
>>53241963
never said it was black and white but by that definition you can basically say anyone has autism
>>
>>53241862
cause everyone here is a newfriend and taking the 'autism' bait
>>
>>53242022
I know. It's a dayum shame he left youtube.
>>
>>53241356
>>53241567

how does it feel that an autist is a better musician than you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4e3pI8k6zY
>>
>>53241387
Lyrics are nearly useless. It's better to give your own interpretation to the music
>>
>>53242034
what in the shit is "half autistic"?
>>
>>53242053

I used to talk to him on AIM (kek), he's hella nice. And yea, YouTube is a cesspool though, oh well. Glad he's still doing his thing tho
>>
>>53241995
Everything is way over diagnosed these days.
Which doesn't make this
>>53241644
any less true.
>>
>>53242066
I have a strong sense of determination and obsess over trivial stuff but I function pretty well socially. Less than a normal person but beter than your average r9k robot
>>
>>53242076
or it does because the "normal" people probably were in the over diagnosised catagory
>>
>>53241387
But I have autism and I have wider ranging taste than you do
>>
>>53242096
That sounds more like a mild case of OCD
>>
>>53242111
That's just pure speculation, and I trust a psychologist with years of training and hours of diagnoses than some highly uninformed kid on 4chan.
>>
how do you even know if you're autistic or not?
>>
>>53242132
you go to a doctor and tell them you eat toast for breakfast every day.
>>
>>53242123
lol, it kinda makes sense, my dad is super organized and he is about the only person I consider to have OCD
>>
File: 1414284672094.jpg (39KB, 579x570px) Image search: [Google]
1414284672094.jpg
39KB, 579x570px
Aspie here,
I listen to basically everything and can get quite emotional if the music and moment are right. American Football, Neutral Milk Hotel, GY!BE can get me emotional on a regular basis. But I listen to a lot of other bands and genres as well. I have around 7000 songs in my library (pleb numbers I know, but I am constantly adding to it). Ironically, it seems I have more music knowledge and a wider range of taste than most of the "normal" people I know. Ambient, drone, noise and music that uses those elements, as well as comfy music, are the things that draw my consistently though.

>>53241562
Holy shit, your roommate is fucking awesome, this is great dude.
>>
File: diagram_spectrum.jpg (14KB, 385x252px) Image search: [Google]
diagram_spectrum.jpg
14KB, 385x252px
I don't know how you make up those informations or if you're just some lunatic conspiracy theories.
But saying mild autism doesn't exist, just proves how disqualified you are to have an argument about this.
>>
>>53242131
its ok. the trend will end like it did with ADD. you'll see then
>>
>>53242066
sometimes i feel like im half autistic, like as a child i barely spoke, avoided eye contact etc. or maybe it was something different

but luckily it got better and that shti is past
>>
>>53242173
http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/guide/mental-health-social-anxiety-disorder
>>
>>53242172
>implying the ADD trend ended
literally getting my ritalin in a week sucker
>>
>>53242172
Mild autism has been diagnosed for decades now.
Its not fictional, it won't end.
>>
>>53242162
I don't see "mild" on that chart.
>>
>>53242222
nice
>>
>>53242222
QUADS FOR TRUTH
>>
>>53241811
never would've thought mindfulness helps with autism, though i imagine it's downright impossible for individuals with extreme cases, but those people usually need caretakers anyway. i know it's sometimes used as a therapy for people with borderline, which is basically the antithesis of autism. that's pretty neat, anon. i actually learned something on this shithole today.

i think mindfulness might be the answer to everything.
>>
>>53242186
yea i guess that fits more. i still feel that way but i try to hide it by putting a mask on in different situations, being more extroverted.. at least i can look at people nowadays
>>
I'm autistic, and I can make better music than most of you fuckers.
>>
>>53241811
i might start doing the same
>>
>>53241811
Absolutely wrong.
This is just Depersonalization Disorder, which is NOT Autism
>>
>>53241562
>used to be my roommate
>yesterday

You kicked him out today?
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.