[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/prod/ - music production

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 292
Thread images: 31

File: lunga ft.jpg (232KB, 885x886px) Image search: [Google]
lunga ft.jpg
232KB, 885x886px
>no mom it's not a piano edition
Post your bleeps, discuss others' bloops. Learn why your DAW of choice is shit.

Stuff:
Sound Synthesis and Sampling (book):
http://www48.zippyshare.com/v/20999348/file.html

Intro to Synthesys (video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M

There'd be a pastebin here, but I don't know it
>>
glad to see this thread
what gets you inspired? post it, I need it
>>
File: keys.jpg (189KB, 736x491px) Image search: [Google]
keys.jpg
189KB, 736x491px
analog ≠ digital
>>
>>52463041
If you -really- want to know, this track inspired me to learn how to music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0THLWRvimsY

Really not what you were expecting
>>
>>52463076
EDP wasp ≠ good
>>
>>52463206
could be worse, my main goal right now is to replicate generic visual novel music
>>
File: 2176.jpg (157KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
2176.jpg
157KB, 1500x1500px
>>52462962
hey /prod/ just got me one of these as my first hardware piece of gear for music production, did I do good?
>>
>>52464291
what I've picked up from these threads is that
old akai = GOTY
new akai = literal shit

I guess you'll have to form your own opinion after using it
>>
File: mac_themaindifference.png (159KB, 516x986px) Image search: [Google]
mac_themaindifference.png
159KB, 516x986px
I just got a new M-Audio interface.
>mfw
>>
>>52464478
>it just werks

also asio4all is the best thing ever
>>
I never thought such a seemingly simple genre would be so complicated

I've been struggling with this a few weeks now. How do I make those bassline house / garage basses like here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKV_VF-ag9Q#t=59

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k7YR_MDYis#t=59
>>
>>52464291
I just got one of those for Christmas, do I need an audio interface now?
>>
>>52464539
sound like a detuned square I think?
you should watch some brostep tutorial on youtube, seriously
>>
>>52464552
Nope! Now all you need is a DAW and the patience for some tutorials on how to use the synths inside of it. Midi controllers aren't synths, but are just controllers for synths inside of your DAW.

You would use an audio interface if you wanted to record a guitar, or external synthesizer, or microphone, etc.
>>
>>52464291
Depends what you want to do with it. If you are starting out it's cheap and will teach you the basics of what is possible in terms of production workflow. Especially what works for you and what doesn't, a.k.a. "This is how I make my music. There are many ways, but this is mine."

Sooner or later you are either going to buy more dedicated/specialized gear like synths or master keyboards. Hopefully you realize what you want until then, which saves you money.
>>
>>52464435
Old akai synthesizers are GOTY, but new akai midi controllers/pads are pretty good. Well actually, I've heard some negative things about the sample pads, but I'm sure they're not that bad if you take the time to replace the rubber with something else.

Anyone have any experience with the action of a nord piano? I came into ownership of a Kurzweil a couple days ago and It feels pretty nice. Not as great as my grandma's grand piano, but pretty fucking nice. I am really curious about nords because the interface looks especially sexy.
>>
Which mixer should I buy, guys? It will be my second step towards making noise.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Numark-DM1001ex-2-channel-mixer_23636831

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/behringer-eurotrack-mx-802a_23727883

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/XENYX-302USB-Premium-5-Input-Mixer_20610427
>>
>>52465166
>http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/XENYX-302USB-Premium-5-Input-Mixer_20610427

that shit is adorable
>>
>>52465166
They're all so different. What is it you need to accomplish? What inputs do you need? Balanced? Unbalanced? High Impedance? Mono? Stereo? Microphone? Line?

The euotrack will give you the most options but behringer stuff has notoriously low headroom. everything will sound dead through it. the USB one a shit.

If you're just tyring to make noise and manipulate sound I'd go with the Numark because it should be able to handle a lot without anything burning out, like intense accidental feedback loops and 120W DC, etc
>>
1) Chords -> Melody

or

2) Melody -> Chords

or

3) Neither
>>
>>52465336
I've written a lot of music starting with harmony and then putting the melody over or into it. Never as nice as having a melody and then discovering the harmonic motion that it implies.

For me it comes-off as much more natural that way, the way I work.
>>
>>52465277
I'm afraid I don't really know what it is I need to accomplish, or what inputs I need. Basically, I have absolutely no equipment (or knowledge) and want to try making noise. I understand that a mixing board is pretty necessary, so I just need an inexpensive one to get familiar with. It would be nice if the mixing board doesn't explode or anything.

I'll gladly take any recommendations for equipment that you have. /noise/ is a bit slow.
>>
>>52465336
i play piano and i'm good with music theory but i got to say neither, i just fuck around with some melodic content
>>
>>52465336
Pretty much what >>52465367 said. My melodies have to stand pretty well on their own for me to write good harmonies. Otherwise, it just won't sound very good at all. But I often start with harmony, Sometimes even bass parts and drums cus I like funk so much and get too involved in the bass sound. This seems bad for making good musical content though, so I try to avoid it
>>
>>52464552
You need an audio interface if you want to:
- record external stuff in high quality
- record instruments like guitars which need hi-z inputs (you can get by with guitar preamps)
- record dedicated mics which need 48V power to operate (you can get by with dedicated mic preamps)
- need dedicated MIDI ports because your hardware instrument has no USB midi built in (you can get by with cheap USB/MIDI cables)
- need lots of external connectivity (split monitor and headphone outputs)
- need really low latency

For starting out you can just as well install ASIO4ALL if your DAW insists on ASIO. I would suggest to disable any "sound enhancement" options your sound card has, like crystalizer, bass boost or these virtual surround things.
>>
>>52465393
tell you what brochinsky, surely you can squander $60 yea?

I would get the numark because of its multiple inputs (including phono) and it's coolbeans crossfader and rugged prosumer chasis. I would ALSO get the eurothingy because it has all the inputs, outputs, level controls, routing, etc you could ever need.

just for the love of shit don't send phantom power down any unbalanced lines (i.e. the RCAs etc). Even the numark probably couldn't take it. That said, if would be very tricky to accidentally send phantom power from the mic ins to an RCA plug but just say'n.

Yeah breh get both, I would. Fuck the USB thing, it's bullshit.
>>
If I wanted to make something ambient like, would layering a whole bunch of synths that compliment each other be the way to go about it, or do you think one synth could get those textures?
>>
>>52465367
When I do that, the melody always ends up cheesy as fuck. Which sucks, because I really like coming up with chords independently. But I guess that's just another thing I should put on my list of things to get better at
>>
>>52465462
Yeah, $60 shouldn't be a problem.

What would happen if I sent phantom power down an unbalanced line? Would it just damage my equipment? or is it more dangerous than that?

I probably would have gotten the USB one hadn't you posted.
>>
>>52465393
also shop around for random shit electronics.. old recievers and radios and toy keyboards and shit. if you run a feedback loop of radio static you can create an entire soundscape that you control with the dial and EQ
>>
>>52465842
if you're just trying to make noise and have fun running signals around i think the little USB dealy isn't really value. phantom doing down the wrong place can blow the electronic components, and if you short it back into itself it can blow the preamps that it came from (done that with a bad mic cable once). it's not something you're likely to do, even if you're trying. phantom power won't harm you, it's like 7mA tops.

spoooo what's the setup gonna be? this stuff going into a soundcard or the like?
>>
>>52462962
heres the pastebin:

http://pastebin.com/uz0Y45cn
>>
9th Wonder’s '10 Track Commandments' for Music Producers
# 10. Unless it’s a rare sample don’t sample the first 10 seconds. Don’t loop the first ten seconds of "Thriller."
# 9. Do you. Which means if you sample, sample. If you play keyboards, do that.
# 8. Always make beats with a MC in mind. Ask yourself, "Does this sound like Busta joint or a Nas joint?" That’s the best way to build up your catalogue.
# 7. Don’t put more than 10 beats on a beat CD. I put 30 on one once and MCs can’t absorb all of that at once. I learned the hard way.
# 6. Flippin’ Bob James’ "Nautilus" at least once is a right way of passage, even if you don’t play it for anybody.
# 5. If you make beats on a computer, don’t have Limeware or something on it. You’ll get viruses and lose everything.
# 4. Some people don’t like to record with a lot of people in the studio, butI like to record with a lot of different people there because you get a lot different feedback on the record.
# 3. If you want longevity in this game, align yourself with larger entity and be the main producer like, Marley Marl, The RZA, The Neptunes, Mannie Fresh, Organizied Noize, The Bomb Squad, Dr. Dre. They don’t just make beats, they provided the landscapes for a whole crew for years.
# 2. Forget reading the manual. You gotta break something to figure out how it works. Peter Jennings didn’t graduate from high school. It’s about natural ability.
# 1. Stick to your equipment. Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t make beats on a bucket with some sticks.This is hip-hop. If you can drop 40 points a night in Chuck Taylor’s, do it. You don’t need Nike Shox

well /prod/?
>>
>>52466148

Sounds outdated as fuck, and it sounds like one of those JUST BELIEVE IN URSELF bullshit advice. Not to mention it seems to apply to #chillbeatz producers.

># 2. Forget reading the manual
># 1. Stick to your equipment.

Terrible, terrible advice
>>
>>52466148
Do everything backwards and you'll be a competent producer. Especially #2.
>>
>>52466148
this is exactly the numbheaded anti-intellectual arrogant self-absorbed popstar-imitating-and-regurgitating attitudes and behavior that make contemporary music so fucking fake and incompetent
>>
>>52462962
hi /prod/, I was wondering what some of your favorite DAWs are and why. I can't decide which to download and I need some examples and why you think they're good, thanks!
>>
>>52466252
FL Studio because it suits my workflow. You should grab demos and see which ones suit yours.
>>
went to vegas this weekend not 21 so I couldn't get into the clubs, but I happen to walk across xs Arty was playing I think. anyways I walked by and the door opened I could hear this giant bassdrum, precussion and melodic groove. Fuck for that moment I fell in love. I have never been to a festival concert nothing. I know what arty was playing was some edm crap, but damn for those few seconds of music, you could hear everything in the mix.fuck idk where I'm going with this but color me inspired
>>
>>52465845
That sounds like fun. Thanks.

>>52465919
Yeah, I'll just be making noise. Okay, it's good to know that phantom power isn't as spooky as it sounds.

I'm not sure what my setup is going to look like. I'll probably get acquainted with the mixing board first, and then purchase a guitar pedal and shitty microphone and/or contact mic.

A Soundcloud can come later, when I actually like what I'm making. Just like what Masaya Nakahara (Violent Onsen Geisha) said, "For someone who has no musical talent like me, the only thing that I could naturally create was noise."
>>
>>52466148
the only one that is good advice is #1, but i even disagree with "stick" to our equip. we all gotta upgrade sometime. But what i take from it, is it's not what you have, but how you use it.

also what dumb fuck wouldn't read the manual? smdh
>>
>>52466148
> 1. Stick to your equipment.

He has a point: It's better to learn the stuff that you already own inside out and use it creatively instead of running around like a fat girl in a candy shop. Buying the next synth won't suddenly make you a lot better at creating music.
>>
>>52465669
yes
>>
>>52464291
>buying anything with "mini" in the name
yeah you fucked up really hard
>>
>>52466252
I use Reaper and Renoise.
Some anon was shilling MuLab and I tried the demo, it's pretty good.
>>
>>52466148
>9th Wonder
he sounds like shit and his advice is no better
>>
>>52466542
>>52466323
I forgot to add
Most of the music I plan on making will involve mostly live recording so, programs that are good with that are what i'm looking for the most.
>>
>>52466247
>>52466231
>>52466232
>>52466393
He makes good beats to though, it's all sampled, but I like them. I guess this is all from 2005 although that doesn't really excuse that kind of advice
>>
File: 2014-07-16 18.39.36 HDR.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
2014-07-16 18.39.36 HDR.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>52466530
suck my big analog dick
>>
>>52466666
nice quints
disregard renoise and mulab, reaper is what you want
>>
>>52466355
Cool man, best of luck! I hope to see some updates as things move along!
>>
File: 1405544248544.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1405544248544.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>52466722
is this you? or did you just post a pic of a moog you found
>>
>>52466751

>reaper
>live recording
>no recommending the Game Changer aka Ableton Live

How is 2003 treatin' ya?
>>
>>52466814
oh christ, not this shit again

yeah, it's mine
>>
>>52466722
>suck my big analog dick
what? what the fuck are you talking about you retard
>>
>>52466909
>minimoog
>>
>>52466816
Well, he's new to this, and reaper is way simpler than ableton.
Also cheaper.
>>
>>52466909
>>buying anything with "mini" in the name
>minimoog
don't call people retarded when you're being this thick
>>
File: image (12).jpg (697KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
image (12).jpg
697KB, 1632x1224px
>>52466842
I knew I recognized that carpet
>>
>>52466990
The 4 seasons room lends itself to really good photos. It's where I do all of my craigslist photos. Well, except the boat.
>>
File: the fuck.jpg (657KB, 1959x1104px) Image search: [Google]
the fuck.jpg
657KB, 1959x1104px
Hola folks

I hate interfaces and interfaces hate me
>>
>>52467041
The natural light is god tier

>>52467068
posting tunes when m8y :))?
>>
http://strawpoll.me/3293167
>>
Anyone here using FL Studio?
Which synth dlls do you use the most?
How useful will Sytrus be in the long run?
Should I be using it to create bass?
>>
>>52467090
>posting tunes when m8y :))?

when I make some worthwhile ones. Unless you want to hear some inane noise I made for fun.
>>
>>52467068
that's a bitchin cassette recorder, how long have you had it?
>>
File: panorama.jpg (762KB, 4048x700px) Image search: [Google]
panorama.jpg
762KB, 4048x700px
well now I just feel left-out
>>
>>52467120
you can do anything with sytrus, it's a hardcore synth, just fuck with the envelopes if you don't understand it to well
>>
>>52467183
>you can do anything with sytrus
can I mow my lawn with sytrus?
>>
>>52467153
great walls next to the bed. are you organ garage guy?
>>
one day you'll see me playing your favorite festivals
you'll see me pop up on your social media
I'll be traveling the world living out my dream
you could have been apart of it, but I guess I wasn't good enough for you.
one day you'll tell yourself "he fell in love with me once I could make it happen again"
you'll inbox me
I'll tell you everything you want to hear give you a taste of my life
I'll fuck you a lot and treat you worse and worse everyday
but you'll put up with it because you want to stay with me forever so you could love the good life as well
then one day I'll break up right after we fuck and I'll make you cry
I'll make you feel the pain you made me feel all these years
>>
>everyone posting hardware
>be jelly
>only have a digital piano and muh vst

such is life
>>
>>52467140
Not long, only about a month or two. I use it to record random ideas. It has some type of midi sync mode which I'm very interested in. Still learning how to use it but I really like how I have to approach going about recording with one.

I find that whenever I record stuff to my computer I end up forgetting or deleting it but I've come back to several ideas I recorded to tape and been able to flesh the ideas out more. I still need a lot of practice but it's a handy tool to have for sure. Also they're super cheap, I got this one for ~50 dollars.
>>
Bedroom Producers posted their top 40 free VST today

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2014/12/29/free-vst-plugins-2014/
>>
>>52467249
>digital piano and muh vst
all I want
all I need tbh
>>
>>52467226
If you mean organ-barn guy, no, I'm that guy. Also minimoog-wads of cash guy.
>>
>>52467226
ha, thanks. and nope, organ garage guy is someone else. I only have one organ (not counting benis) and he has a bunch
>>
>>52467280
As a pianist, I can agree.
But as an electrical engineer, I just want to have a rack of synths and a bunch of cables.
It's no longer about music but about tinkering.
>>
File: sketch.png (619KB, 1920x1035px) Image search: [Google]
sketch.png
619KB, 1920x1035px
fooling around with cinebrass for that epic trailer music feel. (r8 my braam)

https://clyp.it/tkpmq4hx

Love the french horn. the slides between notes gives it a real feel
>>
File: ReasonRackRearSection600.jpg (75KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
ReasonRackRearSection600.jpg
75KB, 600x600px
>>52467319
compromise bro! reason has shittons of tinkerability these days
>>
i think im a better producer than everybody in this thread with little to no proof and i dare you to debate me also your favorite daw is shit, and if you mainly use digital instruments; digital is shit; and if you use analog mainly; analog is shit.
>>
>>52467202
I have before, but I would use a plugin like massive for something that cpu intensive
>>
>>52467331
Sounds good.

I haven't tried FL but thats creenshot makes me think that LMMS stole their workflow from FL.
And god LMMS sucks.
>>
>>52467304
lol, I only have 3 organs now, a chopped hammond, a yamaha with a synth, and my gigging combo organ. there used to be a fourth one, and I got...well...lit it on fire. I have pics somewhere
>>
>>52467331
>French horns
A+
>FL Studio
C-
>>
>>52467356
It's not the same anon ;_;
>>
>>52466953
>he actually wrote that
BUAHAHAHAHAHAHA HOLY SHIT

that's literally a memesynth you retard how stupid one must be to but that garbage

i'll be right here enjoying my Kurzweil i bet you can't even play the piano
holy shit my sides
>>
>>52467357
ur rong
>>
>>52467249
it's all I got. I have fun with it, and what else do you need really?
>>
>>52467408
i shook hands with Datsik once, dont you fucking tell me im wrong because im not.
>>
>>52467282
glad i know you are the same person now hahah

>>52467304
your set up is great anyway
>>
File: 1352391233740.jpg (1MB, 1204x903px) Image search: [Google]
1352391233740.jpg
1MB, 1204x903px
>>52467431
ur rong
>>
>>52467429
music-wise, nothing. but >>52467319
>>
>>52467357
posting your music is the best debate :^)
>>
>>52467527
i would but i sold the rights to my tracks to skrillex to release as his own :^)
>>
>>52467102
guys, I need a tie breaker
>>
>>52467487
Cool, thanks then!
>>
>>52465336
Melody -> Harmony -> Fundamental Basses -> Drums
>>
>>52467356
>>52467319
>>52467513
I feel you, I love messing around, and would do so for hours, if not for the tediousness of using a mouse. I can't even play piano formally but find it very fun to just twiddle knobs. and having hardware just looks cool, not necessarily to others, but I know I would appreciate them
>>
What's the difference between a mixer with mic preamps and a usb output vs a scarlett focusrite 2i2
>>
>>52467604
brb in 10 minutes
>>
File: STALKER.png (1MB, 909x687px) Image search: [Google]
STALKER.png
1MB, 909x687px
>>52467604
>Ever letting Strelok live
Its like you want the zone to collapse on itself.
hope you make it past the brain scorcher, stalker.
>>
>>52467704

hardware drivers and latency
>>
>>52467704
design intentions

they both generally do the same thing, but a mixer is more so made to sum signals than it is to record
>>
File: hammnd.png (2MB, 662x2995px) Image search: [Google]
hammnd.png
2MB, 662x2995px
>>52467646
You're telling me! I'm a junkie for hardware. I don't get anything fantsy and I can't STAND getting anything redudant. I finally just got myself down to ONE multi FX pedal because my other pedals were a shit. I have like 25 mics though, but they all have a very special purpose that I couldn't live without ^_^

I collect and build all kinds of shit, even if its cheap. Microphones, preamps, keyboards, etc. I have a binaural mic I built out of a bowling ball, a parabolic mic I built out of a squirrel baffle, a Leslie I built out of a dead Hammond, etc.

And I even try to use the shit as much as possible... when possible
>>
>>52467712
I had no idea you were a /k/omrade, poly
>>
Would you say these threads are more about electronic music production? That's mostly what I see in here.
>>
>>52467768
Moreso yes, but good old fasioned acoustic/electroacoustic is always welcome, in my experience anyway
>>
>>52467768
Probably because it's the easiest music to do by yourself.
>>
>>52467768
I always figured it was a circlejerk for the same dozen people, plus a noob Q&A
>>
>>52467766
nah I just played a shit ton of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in my time. I only very rarely check /k/ these days.

>>52467768
there are those who record rock and non electronic music. I do a bit of everything, from orchestral to singer songwriter to electronic and sound collage. There's a dadrock anon around...
>>
>>52467828
dadmetal
>>
>>52467744
with your brain, and my ambition, we could conquer the world
>>
>>52467768
music production at it's very essence is all the same
>>
>>52467854
I do the occasional sludge and black metal. And have recorded a death metal album with my band. I didn't produce it though, so doesn't really count for these threads.
>>
File: sadblue.png (8KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
sadblue.png
8KB, 300x169px
>>52467870
m-my brain isn't conquoring much of anything these days

...but I like your moxie
>>
It sucks to be poor.
>>
>>52467744
you seem like a good guy to ask, what's some good distortion circuits for organs? I feel up to the challenge of /diy/ing up some stuff
>>
>>52467976
I'm not. I'm not an electrical engineer but I wish I was. ;_;

I mostly repurpose and frankenstein things moreso than design circuits and the like. When I have to make or fix a circuit/board i have an EE friend who helps me with it all.
>>
people talking about making dad rock and rock stuff reminded me of my old band, we sucked dick
https://clyp.it/v5y2iekv
>>
what's a tilt equallizer?
>>
>>52468045
dern it
I just finished this bad boy, and I'm itching for more
>>
>>52467183
I have used fl for years and I never got one thing right. How to route Sytrus to a mixer channel? All I'm able to do is route the sound to one of the 'Send' channels.
>>
File: 2014-12-26 19.28.08.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
2014-12-26 19.28.08.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>52468100
forgot pic lol
>>
File: 1231241.png (368KB, 1920x1034px) Image search: [Google]
1231241.png
368KB, 1920x1034px
>>52468102
gotta use the channel setting and just set it to the mixer insert you want, like you would with any instrument.
>>
>>52468100
electrical engineer here, what do you want to do?
>>
File: 714wDbjxGEL._SL1200_.jpg (161KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
714wDbjxGEL._SL1200_.jpg
161KB, 1200x1200px
>>52468139
Ohhh yeah I remember seeing you post this. Wish I could help ya more

I tap my M-100 right off the speaker terminals and crush the DC through this little beast.
1. if something happens to it whatever it's $40
2. it overtrives through a crappy valve and it swells benis
>>
>>52468102
idk how you would send it to a send and not be able to send it to a mixer track
>>
What's a good entry level amp? I'm thinking of getting either a keyboard amp, or PA system, leaning towards keyboard amp.

I want to start playing my bedroom project live, with me singing/playing guitar/keys. I'm not sure whether to get a keyboard amp or PA system. I lean towards a keyboard amp, because I might want to play bass too for someone else/I'll probably need the bass frequencies for other projects. Basically, I want one amp for everything.

I plan on going mic/guitar>interface>ableton>amp/PA.

What's a good piece of gear for getting started with this? Loud enough for playing with a band, and a budget price. Me=poor.
>>
>>52468217
lol, I actually have one of those, works great too, but there's no footswitch, plus the purple guy gets that kind of tone anyways
>>52468198
just looking for good distortion projects that would work well for organ
>>
>>52468345
If you ever plan to run a band live, PA. You can start out with a powered mixer and passive speakers. It's much easier than transporting an amp or a powered monitor.

If you think you'll have PA covered in the future, or just want one amp and be done, get a keyboard amp. I wouldn't suggest running bass through it though. Volume wars=dead amp.
>>
>>52468371
Yeah there's no footswitch. I just have it up on the organ and twiddle it as needed, it's just there to buffer the signal so I can run it into my Marshall head and other pro/consumer audio shit.
>>
>>52467183
>>52468191
Which one is superior, Sylenth1 or Sytrus? I read somewhere that Sytrus is able to do everything Sylenth does and more, with less cpu usage. Is this correct?
>>
>>52467068
Is that a 505? How is it?
I've been thinking about buying one, cause they cheap and have midi pads.
>>
>>52468452
I'm curious about the multi fx that you use, what is it, and do you use it with the Hammond?
>>
File: 4x4grid.gif (4KB, 432x432px) Image search: [Google]
4x4grid.gif
4KB, 432x432px
this my first try, its not done, basically destroyed a MOTHER song
https://soundcloud.com/user377724033/motherlove

ami doomed
>>
File: img.jpg (724KB, 1000x662px) Image search: [Google]
img.jpg
724KB, 1000x662px
>>52468542
nothing special, digitech rp-7 valve. it's quite old, but the reverbs sound great (especially the spring) and a couple of the distortions are perfect going into the Leslie. Also for recording, some of the chorus/flanging effects really add some extra swirl (cheating!) to the Leslie. I like it, it works well with the Marshall valvestate I use
>>
>>52468468
I haven't used Sylenth, but Sytrus is pretty cool. plenty of scope for interesting sounds, especially with layering a few different sytrus' together
>>
>>52468419
Really? A bass would blow out a keyboard amp? I thought they could handle those frequencies? I'm not too knowledgeable about this stuff. My current setup is guitar/mic>ableton. I guess I'm interested in using Ableton for live performance? I use amp sims for guitar/bass, and a midi keyboard for synths/sampling. I've never played live before, but I'm almost done with my EP, so I've been thinking how to translate to a live setting.
>>
>>52468569

This is p. good

If you are 13 yrs old and started using FLoops last week
>>
>>52468654
###wrecked
>>
>>52468630
If you keep it low, you should be fine, but you can always blow a cone running bass into anything that isn't a bass amp. What happens is that the bass produces frequencies so low, that if you increase power, the cones have to move further to replicate those frequencies, tearing themselves apart in the process.
>>
>>52468468
Why not use both? Sytrus is my favorite FL VST. It can do subtractive, and FM synthesis. Sylenth can only do subtractive. But Sylenth is a great synth. It doesn't have the options other synths do, but it sounds great. Use both, if you like Sytrus, use it. I personally use Sylenth/FM8.
>>
>>52468601
>digitech rp-7
oh shit, a bandmate of mine has a dead one of those. I hope your luck is better than his
>>
>>52468654
also i posted this in the wrong thread
>>
>>52468732
Haha, I've had it for like 15 years... so far so good. Although I have taken it apart twice over the years to clean it.
>>
>tfw somebody buys the reel2reel machine you found on craigslist
hoping the buyer flakes out...
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEUGilncRJs

This kind of video almost gives me a boner. I wish there was one with Lopatin, Hecker or Ferraro.
>>
>>52468782
holy shit this happened to me last week. I really wanted that thing, the guy was selling it for really cheap too.
>>
>>52468782
With Craigslist, you have to reply like right away. At least that's what I do. I just say I can pick it up now, $X cash. Tons of people are flakes on there, so you've got a shot.
>>
>>52468468
I've never used sylenth. Maybe I'll get it one day, but for now what I have works
>>
>>52468932
I can't really get excited over watching a guy fiddle around in a DAW. I mean, it's cool that it's 4tet or whatever, but I've seen like a gorillion videos of other musicians doing the same thing.
>>
>>52468932
Yeah, Future Music has some good vids. Ever watch the Rhythm Roulette vids? Not by them, but still good. They sample 3 random records/make a beat out of them. Here's El-P.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q06UxOKc7io
>>
>>52468998
I haven't seen people flip samples like he has though. he probably sits at the daw like an autist, just getting the chops to sit right
>>
>>52468998
Watch this one, man. I've a gorillion of these too, but this one stands out. Kieran's approach is really impressive, plus he's a total bro.
>>
>>52466148

Absolute garbage advice lol.

Of course people who make shitty generic beats (trap etc) will swallow every word of this......
>>
>>52469025
Nice! I was watching this one right now, very similar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUDsVxBtVIg
>>
>>52469306
go to bed keiran
>>
>>52469025
how come he didn't explicitly say that he was smoking weed?
>>
File: Launchpad-Mini.webm (3MB, 852x480px)
Launchpad-Mini.webm
3MB, 852x480px
Was here asking about the Akai MPC Element and the Novation Launchpad Mini a week or so ago.

I went with the Launchpad Mini. It was $50 cheaper, and it had 4x as many buttons.

I like it so far, Ableton Live Lite is pretty cool too.

Now I'm writing a program to control its MIDI functionality.
>>
>>52469778
liability reasons, duh
>>
>>52468102
>DROP DOWN MENU
>ADD CHANNEL TO MIXER

done
>>
Just uploaded this for the music-related books thread. Thought I'd repost it here for you guys

Audio Engineering and Acoustics ebook bundle
https://mega.co.nz/#!5N8ggCbA!J8GtbeF8r7AnTwTGia2PgntNuPqs3KMI7Jo-1G43nfg

Includes:
Bobby Owsinski - The Mixing Engineer's handbook
Bobby Owsinski - The Recording Engineer's handbook
Bobby Owsinski - The Recording Engineer's handbook, 2nd edition
Bobby Owsinski - The Mastering Engineer's handbook

Timothy Dittmar - Audio Engineering 101

William Moylan - The Art of Recording

F. Alton Everest - Master Handbook of Acoustics

Rod Gervais - Home Recording Studio: Built It Like The Pros, 2nd Edition

Philip Newell - Recording Studio Design
>>
>>52470100
/r/ing Roland The Synthesizer

good stuff mang
>>
>>52469892
>Launchpad Mini
congrats on buying non velocity sensitive pads

lol what a fucking retard
>>
>>52470100
thanks anon, i have too many books to read for when i woodshed one day
>>
>>52470184
no bully please. also, I assume he's just going to use it as a trigger and not something to record shit with.
>>
>>52470129
I don't know what that is, but I googled and found this:

http://www.analogindustries.com/b1764/

I downloaded it and it's legit
>>
>>52470209
>I assume he's just going to use it as a trigger and not something to record shit with.
because you simply cannot do the EXACT SAME THING with computer keyboard

money well wasted and you fucking know it
>>
>>52470100
based

should deff be added to the pastebin
>>
>>52470299
nah nigga. it's better to have a dedicated controller for that, rather than have to map your whole keyboard. sure as shit better than the nothing I have.
>>
>>52470299
>>52470340
I've tried to figure this out for a while now, couldn't find a way to do it in fl. I don't really perform anyway, but it seems fun
>>
File: oceans.jpg (156KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
oceans.jpg
156KB, 900x900px
https://soundcloud.com/oceansrecs/test-3

Current soundcloud where I'm placing ideas.
>>
>>52470340
you know shit

used launchpad for a good few months when my homie gave it to me in exchange for weed and it's a useless piece of garbage
>>
>>52470423
the percussion is cool, the rest is pretty meh
>>
>>52470184
>implying I need velocity pads for start/stop functionality

No point in getting something with velocity pads that I have no use for.
>>
>>52470467
Yeah really been messing around with my drums/percs and what not lately. Rest is just kind of overlay to fill out out and see how things sound cutting threw pads and where things are sitting
>>
>>52470508
I was listening on earbuds, I'm using the speakers for producing right now, but the kicks sounded good, and I definitely was grooving with the percs. How do you make your kicks low and strong like that, so far I've only been able to make ok house kicks that punch through with their midrange
>>
>>52470606
what do you do to your kicks?
>>
>>52468521
They are pretty useful actually. I'd recommend it if you can manage to get it cheap.
>>
>>52470633
idk, layer until it fills up the 50-300 range. I do this by selecting kicks that are strong in a particular range then throw it on the grid and take off the quantization and adjust to compensate for phasing. usually sounds ok
>>
>>52470606
Basically its a few sounds layered and lightly compressed together then eq'ed lightly individually and then all at once. Base layer is just an 808 so it helps to project the illusion of deepness onto the other samples layered if that makes sense? And try and keep all your samples in tune with each other.
>>
>>52470742
>50-300 range

that's interesting, I usually take away from the 150-300 range because I think it sounds muddy. I usually boost 50-100s and 2k's and 5k's (usually a layer for each part of the range).

I'm gonna try utilizing the 100-300s next time and see if it works out.
>>
>>52470759
And sidechain the kick to whatever to create that ducking. So it pops out more with out muddying up things and you dont have to just volume battle channels.
>>
>>52470805
yea, I only do this because I was looking at this flp of a song that came with fl studio and I was looking at the layers of the kick and I saw a lot of the knock came from the 300 range. I wouldn't really recommend it though, I was showing a track yesterday I think and some anon said that the kick was real nasty around that area, so if you could get it to sound good go for it. I still got to get my ear used to hearing shit like that though so this method will probably change later on
>>
>>52470759
what kind of samples?
>>
>>52470916
i get ya. you're right though, each sample has its own 'sweet spot'. My biggest issue with kicks though is the spread of them. making it sound like it's really wide. can never get it the way i want it. someday though i'll figure something out
>>
>>52470949
>not sampling elephant birthing videos into your drums

do you even music top plebes lel kek xD
>>
>>52470992
wow dude calm the fuck down
>>
>>52470980
I don't think that they're supposed to be that wide though, just make them cut through any other tracks you got going on
>>
Do you guys buy all of the DAWs you use?
>>
>>52470949
What ever you are using for your drums/snares/percs
>>
>>52471072
lol
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (422KB, 1932x1078px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
422KB, 1932x1078px
WHO #LATENIGHTPRODUCTION HERE
>>
>>52471133
shut up dreadlock man
>>
>>52471153

KISS MY PURPLE ASS FAGGOT
>>
>>52471072
given that Cubase it's almost always included with audio interfaces... probably not
>>
>>52466148
As a music production major with 8 years experience, I'm gonna have to give input on where I disagree.

#10 - Sample as much as you'd like but make an attempt to make the sample your own. The best sampling uses are to create something fresh and different.
#9 - Keep on learning, even if it's just a little bit of something new.
#8 - Try different things but know that convention isn't always the best for your work.
#7 - Title your instrumentals when giving them over to someone to check out/write to, as opposed to 1,2,3,etc. It makes it easier for them to process them if you're handing them many tracks at once and will give them an idea of what you're thinking.
#6 - N/A
#5 - Back your work up regularly. We have a saying that if it doesn't exist in 3 places, it doesn't exist. Ideally, don't have torrent software on your work machine.
#4 - This is right. Get fresh ears to listen to mixes you're unsure about but do not mention what you consider to be a problem before they listen. Get their input before giving yours.
#3 - Know when to sit back, but know when to take control. You're always learning and always teaching.
#2 - Know your equipment. Learn proper problem solving skills and how to figure out where the problem lies (eg. "We're getting signal into the desk but not into Pro Tools...what's wrong between the desk and Pro Tools?")
#1 - Try different things, but you're correct in saying that you don't need the best equipment. Knowing a cheap compressor inside and out is better than struggling with how to use an Avalon. That being said - fuck yeah, Avalon.
>>
File: Screenshot 2014-12-30 00.50.02.png (85KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2014-12-30 00.50.02.png
85KB, 1366x768px
>>52471133
u no it bbcakes
>>
>>52471133
me I guess, but i'm mostly just tryna learn this synth
>>
>>52471133
i'm watching musictrackjp vidoes :3
>>
>>52471201
lol, I copy pasted that from some forum, it was 9th wonders advice. I thought it was kind of funny, some bullshit in there, something to take into account I guess. reading that thread though, someone said to keep a log in the studio for people to sign, to make sure that they acknowledge that they aren't really giving any creative input into the production. I guess anyone that does is legally supposed to be compensated?
>>
>>52471208

LATE NIGHT STUDIO IS BEST STUDIO TIME

>>52471220

what synth?

>>52471240

r u japanese?
>>
>>52470759
You know, you could have a send/return for the kick. EQ a "mountain" (upside down U-shape, fuck, it's 6am, I can't English now) between a band of higher frequencies where the kick has some real punch.

Compress the shit out of that. Start sending the dry kick to that - voila - you've added the punch/top end of your kick from the same sample, so it's all good tonally.
>>
>>52471298
avatarst, reading the manual now. in between shitposting in various threads, I should really buck up and read this fucking thing
>>
>>52471298
no there's english captions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ_tj1aQsnU

>tfw no oberheim matrix 6/12
>you will never touch an oberheim synth in your lifetime
>>
>>52471383

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNuV4dMsGrg
>>
>>52471383
that guy has chops, he could probably make any synth sound that good

the Hammond patch was incredible though

>>52471447
I love this song. I love how they have a Korg PS-3300 on the Polymoog, doing nothing
>>
>>52471295
Phew! I was just giving my advice in case someone was taking the more questionable points into account.

Yep! We keep a log of who's where, when they're there, and what equipment is being utilized. This is in case of breakages/theft. As far as that legal compensation thing, if they're involved (even as just their membership of the band), they deserve their slice of the pie. Always keep logs (of everything!) when working in a studio.
>>
>>52471532
yeah he's great, the only thing is that he is not critical of the synths he plays. He will talk about the great aspects of them and enjoy them, but to call these a "review" is not very accurate. they are however, fantastic demos and just overall enjoyable to watch and hear the differences between synths.
>>
>>52471543
sounds silly, but that totally makes sense
>>
>>52471581
my favorite noodling around on an expensive polysynth video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1i8hsLuMWc
>>
File: 1230140012-01.jpg (180KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1230140012-01.jpg
180KB, 1600x1200px
>>52467068
I KNOW you have some shit to post, please post it sometime.

I just got this vocoder unit tonight, the red one.
>>
>>52471347
>>52470759
>>52470606
Have you guys ever tried mixing a kick + the same kick pitched up? You just need to eq out the conflicting frequencies. I've been tinkering with this idea lately and got some acceptable results.
>>
>>52471687
Love the warp factory, has everything a vocoder should have:
intuitive layout
handy controls on panel
mic socket on panel, with phantom power
1/4" errywere
built in global PSU
can be used as bludgeon when removing kebab
>>
>>52471810
sounds logical, like it would make the perfect top to a kick, i gotta try this
>>
>>52471347 Here

>>52471810
I don't pitch the kick up. I just compress the higher end of the kick (cutting all unwanted frequencies) and then mix that into the dry signal with a send/return. Pitching the sample up will cause some warping.
>>
I can't work on my tunes at night because I'm too tired, but I just can't sleep.
Then at daytime I spend my time on IBs until it's 2AM
help me get out of this loop
>>
>>52471835
This formant freeze thing is super fun too.

also
>tfw no patchbay
>>
>>52471919
Also, EQ out most of the frequency spectrum except where the punch actually is. Same sample, same pitch, same tone, no warping, and you got your punch because you've mixed in a slammed top end of the sample.
>>
>>52471347
>>52471919
>>52471949
Don't forget about subtractive EQing, guys. If you want a certain part of your kick to stand out, don't immediately go to boosting that frequency on the kick. Consider if you should attenuate that frequency on another element in the mix that is masking it.
>>
>>52471919
>I just compress the higher end of the kick
Which frequency range is it usually? low mids? high bass?
>>
File: heh.jpg (84KB, 506x428px) Image search: [Google]
heh.jpg
84KB, 506x428px
RBass and/or some lite saturation on kix, too.
>>
>>52472004
Exactly. This is crucial with kick and bass. I'll normally just dip the bass where the kick is hitting.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about, the top kick compression. Heavily compressing the top end of it and mixing it in with the dry signal to get it to punch through in my mix.

Bear in mind that this is only an example of the kind of EQ and compression, not exact values. Work with it for your desired result.
>>
>>52472048
I just posted an example here >>52472136

Use that kind of shape and zone in on that punchy area. Cut everything else.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_LVudzk-x8
Best synth reviewer coming through
>>
>>52472177
>tfw no roland rs-505 as strings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVdSQWGm53I
>>
>>52472216
>tfw not Vangelis
>>
>>52472136
>I'll normally just dip the bass where the kick is hitting.
What about sidechaining? Do you use it along with this method to get the kick even more present in the mix?
>>
File: 1412976553864.jpg (135KB, 746x982px) Image search: [Google]
1412976553864.jpg
135KB, 746x982px
>>52472294
>>
>>52464478
>m audio

[spoiler]literally[/spoiler] kill yourself
>>
>>52472155
Got it, thank you very much
>>
>>52472301
I'd apply sidechaining to the bass if it was conflicting. As a rule of thumb, I dip the bass a little (subtractive EQ, around -3dB as a starting point) and if it's conflicting with the kick after that, I'll work on a little more EQ and sidechain it so that it comes in just slightly after the kick hits. The kick drum is what I build around.

Also, I should mention that a fast attack and long release is important for that kick compression in the pic above.
>>
>>52472319
You're very welcome, anon.

Now, it's 7am here, and I have monitors (JBL ones) being delivered around 11. Time to get a glorious 3 hours. Good thread.

Always remember to hi-pass and stereo widen.
>>
>>52470100
this is great, added to pastebin

current version:
http://pastebin.com/uFfrL0WN

now including a pastebin within a pastebin
>>
I was wondering how you guys work with atmospheric/background sounds? Any tips?

I like some of Sigur Ros' stuff because of their abilty to capture an evironment. How would you go about something like that?
>>
>>52472391
>Also, I should mention that a fast attack and long release is important for that kick compression in the pic above.
Usually with bassy instruments you always want a fairly long release. Because of the way lower frequency waveforms work, a quick release can cause some distortion of the waveform.
>>
>>52472527
probably a whole bunch of little modulations going on in those kind of synths. just pitch and filter lfos wont really cut it, but I can't be sure
>>
>>52466666
I use Logic 9, gets the job done. It's kinda expensive but i bought my copy off of a druggie friend who had a broken key code that never stopped working.
>>
You know Caribou, Yacht and Four Tet record their albums on shitty Acers and pirated versions of Ableton/Audiomulch/etc yet some people here have kurzweils, original 808s, etc couldn't make stuff to wipe their shoes over.
>>
>>52473210
nobody cares how you do things kieran, go to bed
>>
>>52473210
the ones who have the hardware are usually the ones that know how to produce. then there's plebs like me who ask a lot of questions and learn using daws. and then theres the ones that only use daws but know what they're doing
>>
>>52472527
reverb. low dry, high wet. can make things pretty distant and background. also cutting the high or low off on the EQ. panning left and right can help things diffuse in the mix, as well as low volume obviously.

use lots of layers of different synths. delays, reverb, EQ and panning should help set up some environmental feels, with the correct synth choices.
>>
>>52472511
>http://pastebin.com/uFfrL0WN
thank you for this

which should I read if I wanna learn the inside outs of controlling frequencies?
>>
>>52473607
what do you mean controlling frequencies?
>>
>>52473607
I found the "mixing secrets of the small studio" book pretty helpful.
>>
>>52473607
Here's an excerpt from Lynda.com's mixing and mastering course:

Applying EQ
https://mega.co.nz/#!cNNHUZoZ!0k-asDeMHaIdCWTbbNqCkMra0V2JwfZOLyEScyOLevY

Lynda tutorials are really well produced and helpful. You can find torrents for that entire course on the usual torrent sites. Specifically rutracker.org has a ton of lynda tutorials. The site is in russian so you have to translate the page.
>>
>>52473694
Also that specific course is about mixing/mastering in Pro Tools. Though that EQ video in particular applies to everyone no matter what daw you have.
>>
>>52473607
>which should I read if I wanna learn the inside outs of controlling frequencies?

Not to be a dick, but the phrase is "ins and outs".
>>
wrong thread but anyone know what the notes are for a G 9 (#11) chord?
>>
>>52473856
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=G+9+(%2311)+chord
>>
File: G9#11.png (43KB, 695x443px) Image search: [Google]
G9#11.png
43KB, 695x443px
>>52473856
GBDFC#
>>
Renoise guy are you here?
>>
>>52476145
Yes
>>
>>52476145
Whatchu need niggah
>>
>>52476271
>>52476219
Did you buy it from any country that doesnt use euros por usd?
>>
>>52476413
Yeah I'm in Canada, it was 105$ CAD total.
>>
>>52464539
Bump for this
>>
>>52476455
Were you charged in cad por foreign currency?
>>
>>52476561
I was charged in USD.
>>
>>52476583
I see.
Thanks a lot.
>>
>>52476595
Ain't no thang but a chicken wang.
>>
What's up fams?
>>
>>52463041
>what gets you inspired?
I love watching seminars on composition or instrumental techniques.

attending composing workshops are some of the most inspiring things I've ever done. Always come away from them wanting to write music, and feeling more focused on the things I want to do.

Have been watching some good seminars here from some of the characters in NZ music, including some who have played my music or been my tutor during workshops:
http://sounz.org.nz/content/Composing-Now:-Presentations-from-the-CANZ-Composers-Conference
>>
>>52466666
What a not-metal get
>>
>tfw your happiness and well being depends on how well your productions are going and how much music you're making

I need to seperate my feels and lonliness from music. I want my music to be authentic and made "for fun" again and not be some sort of fix for me.

Or maybe that's a good thing and it will push me to make as much music and the best music I can. But most the time I feel bad.
>>
>>52477372
Have a nice long jam for fun, play long enough that you forget about trying to do something good and just 'get into it'.

Listen back to it and parts might inspire you to write something more 'proper'.

https://clyp.it/l0miixwi
>>
File: 1408415269394.jpg (58KB, 618x648px) Image search: [Google]
1408415269394.jpg
58KB, 618x648px
Oh fuck. For the first time in months inspiration has hit back and I'm working like a mother fucker. I can feel the creative rush and I'm scared because I know the comedown will be bad and tomorrow I will hate this track in a few days.

Help me guys, I need any advice possible for this situation.
>>
>>52477589

Ride the wave, get the fuck off 4chan. Pour yourself into it.

Then leave it for a few days, don't listen at all. Then come back to it and do what needs to be done.

Seriously though shut off your fucking wifi.
>>
http://www19.zippyshare.com/v/99716629/file.html

I made this melody, but there feels something wrong, can't really figure out what...

Also how do I learn this melody making and knowing which chords belong where?
>>
Where can I get feedback and know whether my song sounds as good as I think it does or it's just shit?

I can play it to my friends but they'll just smile and say "yeah it's cool", but I don't have any producer friends to ask. I don't want to post it here because I'm one of those autists that doesn't like posting anything that will eventually lead back to myself here.
>>
>>52478316
Post it here via clyp.it, don't use your name or the real track name.
>>
>>52477875
use your ears, copy songs by downloading MIDI files and importing into your DAW to inspect, learn music theory and see how the masters do it.

>>52478316
You should know if your track sounds good or not. the other option is to do comparisons to other tracks in a similar style as your own, with production you're hoping to emulate in quality. comparing your work with professional work is the best way to get better.
http://digitalmusicsstudio.wikispaces.asu.edu/file/view/Mixing+Secrets+for+the+Small+Studio(2011)BBS.pdf
>>
>>52478387
https://clyp.it/e2udip5p

I changed some sounds now, to make it sound better
>>
>>52478617
too simple to give any sort of opinion
>>
>>52478661
how about this piece of shit I made the other day?
Inspired by Skream

https://clyp.it/mkucurgj
>>
>>52478753
didn't like the melody, and the mix is weird
it's cool tho
>>
>>52478798
how about this overcompressed and overreverbed arabian house melody?

https://clyp.it/yujjncjn
>>
>>52478860
awful

now stop or I'll charge you
>>
>>52478893
s-sorry
>>
>>52465166
>http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/behringer-eurotrack-mx-802a_23727883
i just picked one of these up and can vouch for what other people have said about noise. i just use it to combine all the different sound sources i want to go into my sampler so it's not really a huge issue for me, but if you're buying it as your main mixer that you're going to actually record usable stuff through i'd think twice.
>>
Guy high on inspiration reporting again

I've spent all afternoon listening/making this track and I don't hate it yet. I think this might finally be the one. I really hope that tomorrow I can wake up with the same energy and love for this track and go ahead and finally fucking upload something
>>
>>52479195
>post low quality preview pls
>>
Just bought a Yamaha FB-01, any know of a Max for Live patch for controlling it?
>>
What's the difference between linear phase EQ and regular EQ and when to use/what to use the former one for? I know that normal EQ can cause phase issues that a linear phase EQ doesn't but that doesn't really explain much to me.
>>
>>52479290
what does max for live do and why would i go out of my way to use it
>>
>>52479419
Linear phase is much more transparent sounding - you don't hear the swishy resonance caused by the phase shift/delay. It also puts a slight pre and post "bump" in the signal (so if you run a quick transient or impulse response through the EQ you'll see a little bump pop-up on either side of it). This is due to the inverse processing that's done to accommodate the phase shift problem (it's processed forward and backward in time). If you're wondering what this "bump" is and why, consult "sinc function", it's promimence and distance from center is dependent on frequency, so it's more prominent on lower frequencies. This is pretty much inaudible 100% of the time though in real program material, you really need to run an impulse response to really be able to see it, and it's very low level as well.

"Regular" (or minimum phase) EQs add a bigger bump in time after the impulse, slightly more audible. The phase shift also creates resonant bumps around the center frequency (not in the time domain but in the frequency domain) and this gives the EQ its swishy phasy character. Every EQ is different, this happens with both analogue and digital EQs and is unavoidable due to laws of sampling, the sinc function, etc. They chew up a lot less computer resources though, and they have a "nice" sound to it. Especially if you want to do EQ sweeps (or things like wah, etc) you WANT a nice phasey EQ for that. Also that resonant bump can work in your favor a lot of the time.

Linear phase on the other hand is best reserved for audio restoration and mastering.
>>
Is using a few vocal shots off an old acapella (pretty popular artist, Aretha Franklin in my case) considered "wrong" or meant to be labled as a bootleg? The genre in question is house.

I see so many people lose their shit just because they've heard vocals somewhere else before without realising that's how house music has been done for years, but I want to play it safe too.
>>
>>52480619
I just always find it easier to have people sing what I need. No copyright issues and extra patrishun points because singers think anything beyond singing is black magic and you're a wizard. Granted I don't make house music, but the principle is the same.
>>
>>52480619
Copyright law is pretty simple. If you didn't make it and the person who made it didn't say you could use it on your music, it is wrong and it is a bootleg.
>>
https://clyp.it/41hxmmsi
Why are my drums so shit /prod/? How do you guys make your drums?
>>
>>52481066
REVERB AND DELAY!!1!!
Thread posts: 292
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.