[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

isn't this really true though? A guitar takes so much practice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 5

File: Music truths.jpg (42KB, 500x432px) Image search: [Google]
Music truths.jpg
42KB, 500x432px
isn't this really true though? A guitar takes so much practice to learn, there is technique and dedication required to master it.

What's so hard about pressing play on a sampler?

>b-b-but muh production

seems a bit flimsy, doesn't it?
>>
>>52201128
have u tried using a sampler?
>>
>>52201128
>9gag
>>
>>52201128
No because it says
>Real music
Maybe if it said
>Real skill
or something then it would be arguably true.
>>
>>52201169

That was my same question. Usually this is someone that has an axe to grind.
>>
>>52201128
Your entire train of thought is contingent on the fact that there's such a thing as "real music" and that to make it you have to be technically proficient with an instrument. Once you (hopefully) realize this is not the case, you can overstand reality and see the world in a different shade.
>>
>reposting from 9gag

Tbh often overproduced stuff sounds really bad to me.
i dont care how its made as long as the end results sounds good.
>>
First you must define "real music", then we can talk.
>>
I've started to hate guitar music because my dad started trying to play it and he tries to mimic anything he hears.

How 2 rebel against this?
>>
>>52201236
Make some wicked post-clownstep tunes
>>
>>52201128
Educate yourself.
>>
>>52201199
this
>>
>>52201128
you use a logic that divides people beetween the ones that are capable to make music and the ones that aren´t.
music is music everytime that someone play it

meet miguel tomasin, leader of reynols, a band with 38 records edited all over the world. he seems to be happy playing, everyone arround him too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49XqGF6YVy8

go with your pretentius morality somewhere else. pretentius faggot
>>
By this logic, the harder the instrument, the better the music.

So if I hang a bunch of lead pipes, vibrating to make a scale, up far enough apart so that I have to run a fifty yard dash to hit each one, does that make my music the realest?
>>
>>52201532
it makes your music patrician as fuck
I'd love to hear that, with comedy panting in between each one
>>
>>52201532
I don't agree with the OP but in that scenario, yes, your music is the greatest of all time
>>
>>52201128
>what's so hard about writing some notes down?!? XD
>>
>>52201128
I'm a guitarist, but creating electronic/synthetic music definitely has it's own skill set. In the same way that playing guitar, writing music, composition, etc, are all their own thing, operating some of those devices is a massive head fuck.
>>
>pleb tier, simpleton tier
hip-hop, indie rock

>patrician tier, true skill tier
jungle, prog rock

you know it's true
>>
>>52201598
>>52201636
Brb guys.
Going to get an art major and do this.
>>
>>52201784
You're acting like genres have some sort of initiation like
>You have to have X skills on guitar to join the Prog rock guild
>>
>>52201727
Why not be a writer? Or a software engineer? Anyone can press keys, I'm doing it right now!
>>
>>52201128
you are an infant and you use 9gag. choke to death on yr my little pony toys you fedora'd fucker.
also, nice b8
>>
>>52201199
>Your entire train of thought is contingent on the fact that there's such a thing as "real music" and that to make it you have to be technically proficient with an instrument.
a variant of rockism; rock music is more "real" and legitimate than forms that rely more on electronics and "studio trickery", like pop, hip hop, electronic music, etc.
>>
>>52201199
NotOP, and I don't think there is such a thing as "real music", but I do think that learning how to play an instrument leads you to towards a much more intimate and intuitive way of thinking about music.
>>
>>52201236
I've started to hate electronic music because my dad started trying to play it and he tries to sample anything he hears.

How 2 rebel against this?
>>
i don't like synths personally, i see the point and they can be used well, but to me the performance is the most important part of music. samplers and some synths move away from that and i dont like it.
sometimes i jam with a dj that does the turn tables and shit. and i honestly dont know how he keeps it straight, but he thinks its crazy that i can just play whatever instrument
>>
File: 00000000.png (44KB, 200x197px) Image search: [Google]
00000000.png
44KB, 200x197px
>>52201199
Please fucking kill yourself.
>>
>there are people reading this RIGHT NOW that think it's brainlessly simple to create decent music using only samples and no actual musical instruments.

Maybe if your idea of sample-based electronic music is a bass drum going 'boof boof boof boof' and an unaccompanied vocal line from a 1950s gospel song.
>>
>>52202132
synths ≠ samplers

playing a synth properly takes just as much skill as playing a guitar properly. In fact to play it really really well it takes as much skill as playing a piano properly.
>>
>>52202089
you do have to be proficient with your instrument, whether its a sampler, your voice or a guitar,
if you suck at taking and editing your samples and loops you are not proficient with it, and can't make so called real music
>>
>>52201532
OP this is for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHyGdGilazU
>>
>>52202134
>using ragecomic meme reaction images

you first
>>
>>52202221
i know what a synth is jackass, i just brought them they're being brought up and lumped in with samplers. i dont care for synth sounds usually, is all i meant. and i was saying using a sampler is a legit skill
>>
>>52202306
>thinking that rage comic images started on reddit or 9gag

You must be 15 or younger.
>>
>>52201128
what's so hard about pinching a string?
>>
>>52201784
>genre as monolith

You are the plebe
>>
>>52201128
Anyone who thinks in the manner of one method of music being better than another is what is wrong in the world.
>>
>>52202353
>jackass

nice social skills.
>>
>>52202361
the hard part is not sounding like every other guitarist, while making music people want to hear
>>
>>52202358
Where did you get that he thought they came from 9gag from?
>>
>>52201128
So what the fuck am I making then if I use a sampler? Better come up with a new term for that, not that it's going to matter in the fucking slightest when I'll make and listen to what I enjoy anyway.
>>
Actually the trendy "music" is made pressing 3 bottoms of an computer and using a lot of autotune on a very bad voice.
>>
>>52202358
Man, you're stupid.
>>
>>52201128
>Hey, let's just fucking limit music to what fits into our particular preference
Legitimately a bit agitated right now.
>>
>>52202401
Thanks for that insight into the modern music industry
>>
>>52202358
lmao
>>
>>52202238
The point is that proficiency doesn't necessarily require physical skill.
>>
>>52202371
>social skills
>on 4chan
did you catch the part in my first post where i said samplers and synths can be useful?
>>
Is this thread ironic or are we legitimately being invaded by /b/tards, /v/ermin and redditors? I'm lost.
>>
>>52202384
...which is also the hard part of operating a DAW

>>52202370
At the same time though it's stupid to assume that everything is somehow equivalent
>>
File: 1418945039451w.jpg (62KB, 500x388px) Image search: [Google]
1418945039451w.jpg
62KB, 500x388px
>>52201128
>>
>>52202384
implying that when you're making electronic music it's not hard to not sound like these other thousands of artists out there
>>
>>52202401

le crap "music"
>>
>>52202455
>le ebin oldfag, ragecomic memes and edgy '4chan means i can be an autistic fuckwit' 12 year old mentality

Is it 2007?
>>
>>52202401
Man, we really were born in the wrong generation. I wish we could have lived in the days when artists actually MADE music with their instruments... The Beatles, Led Zeppalin, hell even Outkast. I'm not racist. I just like music made with real skills instead of computer garbage.
>>
>>52202447
of course not, the focus should be on sounding good before showing off, i just think synthesizers and samplers both are used very poorly, very often. just like guitars and people who want to wank off on a seven minute guitar solo just to show off.
>>
>>52202521
>i just think synthesizers and samplers both are used very poorly, very often
just like every other instrument
>>
>>52202521
>just like guitars and people who want to wank off on a seven minute guitar solo just to show off.

A 7 minute guitar solo can be great if the guy knows what he's doing. The thing is, most people aren't good enough to play lead for 7 minutes straight without stagnating.
>>
>>52201128
yea real music like ac/dc will never die! \m/
>>
>>52202513
>le wrong generation

You know we live in a time where instruments still exist? People can still MAKE music with them too.

And why are you bringing up the fact that you're not a racist? Projecting?
>>
File: 1327383192209.png (194KB, 406x328px) Image search: [Google]
1327383192209.png
194KB, 406x328px
>>52202633
>>
>>52202470
Interesting point, but everything is actually equivalent.
>>
>>52202483
#truth
>>
>>52202541
correct you're winner
>>52202573
also correct i agree with you shit. leave out one thing that shouldn't need to be said and everyone in the thread shits brix
>>52202513
>>52202513
if you think that then throw out your computer, cell phone, and any other technological marvels that you take for granted on a daily basis
>>
>>52202483

This.

Get off 4chan you wankers and get back to practicing.

We all gun' make it.
>>
>>52202653
Are you really so painfully new that you've never seen a 'le wrong generashun' joke?
>>
>>52202513
also if you have to say that you're not a racist, you're probably a little racist
>>
>>52202870
you do realize that sarcasm usually is a tone of voice thing right? like some thing people generally need to hear unless you make it painfully obvious that you're being sarcastic, which defeats the purpose
>>
The idiots taking this thread seriously are hilarious. Great job OP.
>>
I play several instruments and honestly, trying to combine samples into a coherent unique track the way Panda Bear and the Avalanches do is much harder than writing down a chord progression, adding a bassline and drums, and writing some dumb lyrics.
>>
>>52201199
damn dude that was deep

i almost didnt overstood what u said
>>
File: *sob*.jpg (56KB, 431x377px) Image search: [Google]
*sob*.jpg
56KB, 431x377px
>>52201128
I play guitar and produce rap beats. It is much easier to become proficient at guitar (be able to play a lot of songs well) than to produce music that actually sounds legitimate. There's so much science and technical shit that goes into production. This 9gag shit is infinitely closed minded and shows how little OP knows about actual music. This is coming from someone who primarily enjoys guitar music.
>>
>>52203173
i have to disagree, if all you're doing is chords or rhythm section or vocals then yeah probably samples are harder, but if you write all of that yourself and try to really write something different then its just as hard
>>
>>52203173
i play guitar with a DJ that produces his own beats and a bass player. the DJ is always baffled by how we play, and i honestly have no idea how he does some of what he does.
different skill sets
>>
>>52201128
why do you think music that is harder to play is objectively better lel
>>
>>52202391
>Better come up with a new term for that

Plagiarism......that's the fucking term m8
>>
>>52202777
>Interesting point, but everything is actually equivalent.
no it isn't
>>
>>52202931
this is the sound of autism going on the defensive when it doesn't get a joke and makes an ass out of itself
>>
>>52201128
Go to bed, Paul Stanley.
>>
but the xr20 is a drum machine, not a sampler
>>
>>52202931
>sarcasm usually is a tone of voice thing right?
if you're shitty and unfunny and don't know how to be sarcastic the right way
>>
>>52203695
>uses autism as insult
>joke with no payoff
>>52203830
80% of what someone says isn't conveyed with words
>>
>>52201128
>9gag
ayy
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.