[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SYNTH GENERAL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 22

File: image.jpg (117KB, 523x423px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
117KB, 523x423px
Been a while since we've had a good ole synth thread.

Feel free to post:

>hardware
>software
>desired gear
>favorite synth based artists
>projects

Today's topic: godtier DCO synths
>>
fuck i really just want absynth dammit
>>
File: albino3.gif (206KB, 916x664px) Image search: [Google]
albino3.gif
206KB, 916x664px
does anyone know where to find this anymore?
been looking forever
>>
File: Arturia Minibrute SE.jpg (104KB, 1024x765px) Image search: [Google]
Arturia Minibrute SE.jpg
104KB, 1024x765px
Minibrute SE vs Microbrute SE?

That minibrute SE sure does look good.
>>
>godtier DCO synths

Roland Alpha Juno 2
Korg Poly800
Korg Poly 61
Teisco SX210

>inb4 Juno6/60/106
>>
>>51476684

It looks better but the architecture is exactly the same, I only paid $365 for my Minibrute so I really couldn't justify dropping $550.
>>
>>51476707
It has a sequencer instead of an Arpeggiator which I think is a bit more useful since I want to do Berlin school kind of stuff.

I would be paying $400 so pretty much the same as the regular version
>>
>>51476719

Just save up a few more bucks and buy a Beatstep, it's a great investment, and can do a lot of shit. The sequencers they put in the brutes are pretty much useless anyway.
>>
>>51476738
Do you know if the beatstep is compatible with a Korg Mini-Ms20?

Eventually I want to add one of those and a sequencer along with the mini-brute. Just getting back into synths so just building things one at a time right now. I used to have some pretty amazing gear that I feel like an idiot for selling (prophet 5, prophet 600, jupiter 6) oh well
>>
not really a synth
but damm i want that new native instruments thing
>>
>>51476694
>inferior polysixes
>inferior juno
enjoy your cheesy 90s rave sounds
>>
File: image.jpg (35KB, 400x397px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35KB, 400x397px
>>51477361

>implying the Juno 2 filter isn't juicy as fuck
>>
>>51476782
It has CV and Gate, MIDI, and USB, so yes.
>>
>>51476626
What do you guys think about the prophet 08? I think it would be pretty baller with a good chorus pedal.
>>
>>51477361

The original Junos sound sow thin and cheesy.
>>
>>51478147

Haven't played one, saw some demos though, sounded pretty thick to me.
>>
>>51476782
You might want to invest in the Harvastman English Tear, it turns v/oct into hz/v and back again
>>
still want this so bad unf

>>51476655
russians homie
>>
>>51478298
All the demos sound fine to me too. Way thicker than a Juno 6/60 without chorus on. Can't compare to a P5 raw though.
>>
>>51478503
To me it sounds cleaner than a P5, there's still something about P5 brass the the '08 can't nail.
>>
File: cover.jpg (64KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
64KB, 500x500px
I got a System-1 and Caustic 3 on my tablet.
I will connect them together later today and see what happens.
>>
>>51476684
>>51476684
>>51476684
If you have worked already with arpeggios then you will be fine. This has a sequencer too.
Avoid micro keys. They are horrible to play woth.
>>
>>51476694
The autist in me wants to point out that the Alpha Juno 2 and Poly 800 aren't "DCO" in the same way that the other ones are.

Also the Kawai SX240 and Elka Synthex are the best DCO synths.
>>
Am I better off buying a separate MIDI synth and a MIDI drumpad or should I buy a synth with pads? My budget is about €350 and I don't really need the knobs and faders on the combined synth controllers.
>>
>>51478777
>system-1
Some kind of shipping error? Were they supposed to send you something else?
>>
>>51478850
You probably want a Nord drum or something. you need something that can support multimbrality if you want to have different sounding drums
>>
>>51478860
There is some joke in there that I don't get..
The little synth is pretty good for my needs. It is not for everyone.
>>
>>51478916
Don't Nords cost a fortune, though?
>>
>>51479075
Nord drum isn't as rediculously priced
>>
>>51478965
I think the joke here is that you intentionally bought a System-1
>>
>tfw no oberheim matrix 12
>>
Best software synths?
Best free software synths?

The only reason I'm not going analog is because im a poorfag
>>
>>51479195
Ok. You don't like it. That's ok.
>>
>>51479246
It's also a bit funny how you rag on minikeys. Still not as good as your first joke though.
>>
My booth. Can't wait for the 707 kit to arrive to the TR8.
>>
>>51479578
wow what a waste of money lol
>>
Who here is into rackmount? I got a Yamaha TX81Z and it's really great, I'm thinking about building a little rack for two or three more synths. I was thinking about getting one of the Oberheim Matrix rack synths but I donno
>>
>>51479578
Yikes. Why two TB-3s?
Do you have any other kit, because everything you have there is from this year
>>
why bother with synths when you have everything you need with pure software like VSTs and stuff
>>
The guy talking shit about the System-1.. I kind of understand. When I saw it for the first time I thought it was cool, the whole color matching collection of synth/drum machine w/e. Then I played it and the keyboard is very strange, the synth is alright to play around with though. This is just Roland trying to encourage consumers to buy reissued, reskinned instruments
>>
Just ordered the volca beats and keys. I know most people would probably consider them dinky or lame, but damn man, at that price point they are pretty neat.
>>
>>51479714
Because I need two TB-303, but they're difficult to get, and yes: the x0x are very good, but not versatile in sound. I don't care if it's digital: I do acid, and I use these live.

>>51479683
>wow what a waste of money lol
>>
>>51479751
Because I have ears
>>
>>51479751
Why try to make music when you can just use garage band loops?
>>
>>51479751
different sounds and different ways to achieve them m8
>>
>>51479771
I think that the whole Aira range is aimed more towards the live performers that want vintage hardware, but don't care about the crap sound

Anyone who refuses to use any Aira products in the studio is right, tho: There's really no reason to buy a VA synth if you'll use a laptop, anyway.
>>
>>51479751
turning knobs and hearing the sound come through a real amp rather than computer speakers is very liberating. It's like that very short time we lived where we made electronic music without computers
>>
>>51479713
I've got a good amount of rack gears

Yamaha TX-816 with 6 TF-1 modules an a DX7 to round it out.
Akai S612 sampler with Zip drive
Electrix warp factory vocoder
Lexicon MX-200 dual reverb/multi fx
Akai MPX820 midi programmable mixer
Peavy CS800s 600wpc amp for main stereo
Alesis RA150 75wpc amp for rear stereo (delay)
Alesis RA300 300watts bridged, for 15" sub
>>
>>51479751
I've come to that conclusion. I used to have an MS2000b but sold it because a) after learning more about synth programming and electronic music in general I found I could create more sounds and more interesting sounds using my computer and b) I found someone who was willing to pay $800 for it
>>
I recently bought a Korg Monotron and it's jolly good. definitely worth the 30 eurobucks.

also bought a casio SA-2 which i want to build a wooden case around it and maybe tweak it
>>
>>51479914
What kind of idiot would pay $800 for a MS2000b

also, if you think the MS200b is representative of most hardware synths, you're sorely mistaken
>>
Anybody's thoughts on the Korg littleBits synth kit?
>>
>>51476738
>>51476782

Don't get a Beatstep, get a Behringer BCR2000 (I know, but trust me on this) and a copy of the custom Zaquencer firmware. It's ridiculously powerful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuwrqdzXwcY

And yes it'll work with the MS-20 mini, both the beatstep and Zaquencer BCR2000
>>
>>51480211
BCR only does midi though, which means only automating notes, not CVs
>>
>>51479874
>aimed more towards live performers that don't care about the crap sound

This is the only way I could see it justified lol, or if you were rich and didn't want to find an old TR808 and wanted new sound toys to play with.
>>
>>51480282
Good point. I forgot Beatstep has CV too.

Unfortunately it wouldn't work very well with the MS-20 mini then, as it uses Hz per volt CV rather than the standard volt per octave that most other modular equipment uses.

You'd need a converter such as the English Tear:

http://postmodular.co.uk/harvestman/english-tear
>>
File: IMG_1294.jpg (191KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1294.jpg
191KB, 1000x750px
How bout some good ol' fashioned 1930s additive synthesis! Besides boring software it's all I have to contraboot.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>51480363
>300 pounds of punishment
>>
File: hi_five.png (3KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
hi_five.png
3KB, 493x402px
>>51480457
awwwyeuh. is that an A-100? I would love to have the space/flexibility for one but refurbing one is a little pricey nowadays
>>
>>51479964
It still holds in general that VAs, digital effects, etc. don't offer anything that VSTs can't do.
>>
>>51480522
80s digital sounds different than software since it's low res. Also hardware is more stable for live use, and depending on what you make it might be frowned upon to play on a laptop.
>>
>>51480490
>Is that an A-100?
Uhh, kind of.

It was a BV that was put in an A-100 cabinet and given trek II percussion. Then it was chopped and paired with a Leslie 700. Then I found it on Craigslist.

Thankfully my father is a tone attorney, so he has no qualms about having it stored at his place. It also helps that I am able to perform most repairs myself.
>>
>>51479782
You're out of your mind if you think the TB3 sounds better than a x0xb0x or Bassbot. I'd have bought two Bassbots.

I'm sorry but it's not going to be authentic acid if you're using a digital clone of the real thing. You'd probably be laughed off stage if you did a show with proper acid artists.
>>
>>51480635
>80s digital sounds different than software since it's low res.
It's true that in some cases this is difficult to emulate, but in general it's still nothing special. Manufacturers invented a lot of things on their own that aren't published in academic literature, etc. but it can still be reverse engineered and accurately emulated in software.

>depending on what you make it might be frowned upon to play on a laptop
Only for pleb audiences.
>>
>>51480695
God damn, please keep bleep autism and elitism in /bleep/ general
>>
>>51479240
>9240▶
>Best software synths?
>Best free software synths?
>The only reason I'm not going analog is because im a poorfag

be a free virtual analogfag

obxd
pg8x
charlatan
tal bassline/u-no-62

fm:
dexed, vopm

also highly recommend SQ8L, love that vst
>>
>>51480695
>You'd probably be laughed off stage if you did a show with proper acid artists.
>Proper acid artists
>Phuture are using them right now

You were saying?
>>
>>51480695
>muh authenticity
this is largely just an attempt to justify conspicuous consumption

>You'd probably be laughed off stage if you did a show with proper acid artists.
kek, anyone who's that obsessed with traditionalism (in a genre that's so limited, one-dimensional and creatively bankrupt to begin with) isn't worth bothering with

Ceephax uses a TR-8 now for live work, by the way.
>>
>need first synth
>already just find presets in massive then tweak them to my liking
>it works.

should i just fucking get a microkorg?
>>
>>51479714
Phuture uses three. Why not?
>>51480789
>>
File: suicide-suicide_b-400x400[1].jpg (52KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
suicide-suicide_b-400x400[1].jpg
52KB, 400x400px
>>
>>51480840
You should first lean how a synth works top to bottom. Tweaking presets doesn't mean anything.
>>
>>51480789
Yes, at a Roland-sponsored event:

http://hammarica.com/phuture-explains-its-past-rocks-monkey-loft-decibel-festival-2014/

It was basically a showcase for the Aira line you fucknut.
>>
>>51480840
I like my microKorg. It's more of a conceptual instrument though. I wouldn't use it on a track, but I'm sure that it could be.
>>
>>51480861
This

>>51480840
Learn some synthesis. VCOs, VCAs, filters, ADSR. Know what makes that preset sounds like it sounds
>>
>>51479713
I'm basically amassing a collection of 90s/early 00s romplers, I've got a:
Roland XV-5050
Wavestation SR
E-Mu Proteus 2000
Korg 05R/W
and a Kawai K1R on the way from ebay

I also have a Kurzweil K2000 that I was using for a week before I broke it while trying to get the floppy drive working - I want to kill myself for being so stupid
>>
>>51480840
>>51480881
Forgot to add. If you want presets forget the microKorg. The presets are shit. It's really good if you want to load it up and try out a patch idea though.
>>
Where can I start with synths? Already downloaded Zebrallete to Logic, I'm a poorfag also :(
>>
>>51480968
>Mac
>poorfag

Come on mate
>>
>>51480656
aaah I see. Great find! And yeah, the good thing about ol' Hammonds is they're mechanical and electrical, as opposed to electronic. No chips or circuit boards to fight with. The hardest thing about them is keeping the vibrato scanner clean, keeping the switch and bussbar contacts clean, and of course keeping the caps from closing-up.

I have to recap mine (M-100). It's about $100 for the set and a shitload of careful unsoldering/soldering so I haven't gotten around to it blah.

Nice find though! And tone attorney? Ha.
>>
>>51480955
I see plenty of opportunity for that kind of shit now, but I can't really bring myself to do it. It's a golden age of cheap 90s synths. Korg Z1, Kawai K5000, Yamaha EX5, etc...

But still, why?

>I also have a Kurzweil K2000 that I was using for a week before I broke it while trying to get the floppy drive working
Shit dude, what did you do?
>>
>>51480968
>Already downloaded Zebrallete to Logic

you're halfway there! play with it, make a song, make a sound, some noise. find out what you like, try emulating certain sounds you like in songs.
>>
>>51480992
Maintenance is the easy part compared to just moving it. Are you the same fellow who turned a Hammond spinet into a mini Leslie?
>>
File: IMG_0059.jpg (287KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0059.jpg
287KB, 1000x750px
>>51481119
Yeah that's me. The Leslie is pretty easy to move if not somewhat delicate, but yep... the M-100 is a good 300lbs probably even as just a spinet. Fuckers will kill ya.

Mind the dust - it had been sitting quite awhile when I took this pic.
>>
>>51480999
>But still, why?
Autism

>Shit dude, what did you do?
Put the ribbon cable in the wrong way round like a fucking corndog, probably put 5 volts somewhere it shouldn't have gone. Hoping it's just a blown surface mount capacitor I can get my dad (who is skilled in these arts) to replace - If not I'll have to buy a new engine board

Sucks because I was just getting into it. The FUNs are great - you can do math on LFOs and CCs and shit. Like I made a pulse-width-modulateable square wave LFO by adding the mod wheel to a ramp LFO (between -0.5 and 0.5), and taking everything > 0.5 as 1, anything less than 0.5 as 0. So when the mod wheel is at 0 there's nothing greater than 0.5 so the entire wave is at 0, but as you increase the mod wheel more and more of the ramp goes over 0.5 so more and more of the wave becomes 1 until all of it is
>>
>>51481174
Damn that's cool. I wish /diy/ wasn't a dying hobby these days, it's pretty much just modular synth guys now
>>
>>51481200
I damaged mine when I upgraded the RAM. It was a bad RAM stick or something. It still mostly works, although it crashes on the self-test and I don't think I can use the sample RAM.

>The FUNs are great
Yeah, you can do ridiculous chaotic feedback loop stuff with it too. It's a lot more flexible than anything else I've owned.
>>
>>51481217
What? It's not. The whole "maker" thing is a huge fad. Granted it's mostly pleb Arduino and 3D printer stuff, but it's still really big.
>>
>>51481217
Yeah I know a good few people who do modular synths, which is pretty cool but I'm not into it enough to do it myself. Plus I like acoustics/electroacoustics much more than electronics, if that makes any sense.
>>
>>51481267
Yeah I'm fairly sick of the "gimme a 3d printer file because I can't make anything" crowd, but what I really mean is that its damn near impossible to find other electronics hobbiests these days. Perhaps I just moved to the wrong town though, I used to live near Minneapolis which was very /diy/
>>
File: v_Im-Getting-Mixed-Messages.jpg (31KB, 434x467px) Image search: [Google]
v_Im-Getting-Mixed-Messages.jpg
31KB, 434x467px
It is pretty bullshit to start the "a laptop would do more" everytime.

I have tried both and for me more limited 1 hardware synth makes me work more and be more cfeative than having 200 synths on the laptop.
Not to mention that I am overwhelmed in learning all of the things o the VSTs and end up doing nothing.
it is very subjective what instrument is good even though it is objective that laptops have more sounds and effects sure.

it is like 360 and PS3 controllers. A 360 feels more comfortable but I am a better player with a Dualshock.

So stop being extremists, ekther kids with laptops or purist oldfags and talk about what works for you and synths!
>>
>>51481288
>acoustics/electroacoustics

I've tried to read stuff about acoustics but I feel like I'm not really learning anything because I can't hear examples. How do I get more into this?
>>
>>51481288
It's far too much of a time sink. You can go a lot further and a lot faster by building shit in software.
>>
>>51481356
Depends on what you're trying to do. If you're making a FFT, there's no reason to not do it in software. But you're not going to build a speaker or amplifier with software
>>
>>51481339
>It is pretty bullshit to start the "a laptop would do more" everytime.
In a literal way, though, CPUs advance more quickly than DSPs, and VSTs are generally a lot more fresh and innovative than hardware.

But in the end it's really all about workflow. I got tired of hardware a while ago, but it's still nice to have your pick of what to use.
>>
>>51479751
>>51479914
>>51481339
analog synths run on electricity, electricity by nature is unpredictable, things like analog filters introduce texture to the sound that digital does not produce.

digital sounds by default are perfect. when a computer produces a square wave, it creates a perfect square, and when a computer filters that square wave it precisely cuts out the frequencies that it is told to cut out.

here lies the interesting part. analog by default is scientifically more pleasing to the ear than digital. humans have never been used to perfect sounds. there is nothing in nature that creates a perfect sound. guitars, pianos, cymbals and so on all produce sounds which have at least slight imperfections in pitch and timbre.
you can keep telling yourself your vst sounds just as good but just know you are wrong.
>>
>>51481398
What I found was that all the stuff that's fun and exotic in modular synths is really much easier to make and control in software.

>frequency shifters
>phase shifters
>waveshapers
>filterbanks
>step sequencers
>Karplus-Strong synthesis

I value the ability to copy and paste 50 of them, in seconds, without spending any money.
>>
>>51481490
I was talking about electronics vs programming more than I was about modular synthesizers. From a practical standpoint vs theoretical.
>>
>>51481484
>analog synths run on electricity, electricity by nature is unpredictable
This is a really dumb way to think about it. Electricity is absolutely predictable above the quantum level.

>things like analog filters introduce texture to the sound that digital does not produce.
The difference is in the nonlinearities, delay-free feedback paths and lack of aliasing, not "electricity".

>digital sounds by default are perfect.
No they're not. There's aliasing.

>when a computer produces a square wave, it creates a perfect square
It's not really difficult to model arbitrary waveforms, and besides you're conflating "imperfect" with "good".

>analog by default is scientifically more pleasing to the ear than digital
Jesus christ no it fucking isn't, your reasoning is terrible; electronic signals are far, far more "perfect" than acoustic sounds.
>>
>>51481563
Yeah but still, if you're building electronics you spend most of your time on the physical realization rather than the design (which I think is by far the more interesting part). Software is more of a direct implementation of the math, no soldering, clipping component leads, stripping insulation, ordering parts, wire ties, etc. needed.
>>
>>51481012
How do I into synths? Are there any good explainatory videos out there on synths?
>>
>>51481689
Look for reading material, not videos.
>>
>>51481484
I use hardware because that's my workflow
but you are retarded
>>
>>51481350
Hmm not really sure. Depends what branch you're really wanting to get into. Like, room acoustics? There's a good amount of books out there (Master Handbook of Acoustics, Acoustics by L. Baranek, etc) but as far as "hearing examples" go that's kinda tough.

>>51481356
And yeah if you don't want to do hands-on you design all kinds of shit in Matlab or MaxMSP/PureData, etc. I like hands-on projects for at least my spare time work though.
>>
>>51481689
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQ04PwFvui1BCUAE9wxmOqHE51mrDv8Ui
>>
File: m_want%20potato_.gif (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
m_want%20potato_.gif
1MB, 640x360px
>>51481484
But what about VAs and this new VA tech that Roland created?
Did they intentionally (digitally) created flaws on their perfect waves? Digital flaws to sound authentic?
>>
>>51482005
>Did they intentionally (digitally) created flaws on their perfect waves?
They did that already with the SH-32.
>>
>>51482005
Virtual analogs have for quite a long while been implementing algorithms into their tech that well... models analog
>>
>>51480789
Say what you want about how well they're modeled or how good they sounds, that green trim is disgusting.
>>
Anybody here use a Mopho 4x? I kind of want Juno sounds but without the unreliability and like the feature set it boasts.
>>
>>51480211
that looks pretty good for that price. are there any alternatives for sequencers?
>>
>>51480861
yeah i see where you're coming from, but i've had a lot of success finding the sounds i want using this amatuerish method. Im mainly into synths for recording my music. is it just impossible to adequately learn synthesis as i go along on the microkorg?

>>51480881
the flaming lips used it on embryonic and shit sounded nice
If not the microkorg, then what <$400 synth would u recommend?
>>
>>51482703
Nobody?
>>
>>51483333
threads dead i guess
>>
>>51483459
I thought it was going breddy good too.

I'm now having second thoughts, and now I'm entertaining the idea of a Prophet '08 module
>>
File: System-1%20topview.jpg (301KB, 1680x1006px) Image search: [Google]
System-1%20topview.jpg
301KB, 1680x1006px
>>51482903
That is why I got a System-1. I have some limited background with piano and preset synths but I wanted to learn synthesis. Get a machine with knobs, no menus to go from simple soundwaves.

The interface is good for what I want +I am interested for the plugouts to try sounds from the past.
>>
>>51483459
>>51483508
I'm still here too. Been wanting a Morpho since I first saw a demo.
>>
>>51483681
ok thanks ill look into it
>>
>>51483829
the monophonic one, or the four voice one?
>>
>>51482903
Waldorf Blofeld module and a cheap midi keyboard. The Blofeld like a digital modular synth. The options are pretty much unlimited.
>>51483681
This guy is kinda wrong. Get a machine with menus as your first synth that way you learn how to use a menu synth and don't bitch when there are menus.
>>
>>51483918
both and DSI Evolver
>>
>>51483954
Oh ya. I should also add the microKorg was my first synth and if you can find it for under $150 I would buy it.
>>
anyone know of any good multi effects units for glitchy and other momentary performance effects

I like what the kaoss quad pad does but I need something I could preferably use with dialed in parameters that I could use with a midi foot controller
need both hands for keys and the like
x-y pad requires too much attention for my style of performance
>>
>>51476684
i own the minibrute and it has a much wider range of sounds you can develop than the microbrute, but if it works best for you to have prearrenged sequenced sounds, then the micro is probably best choice. minibrute sounds amazing for the price it's a living creature
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY5jw9auNkA
I could watch Katsunori UJIIE testing synths forever
>>
>>51484146
the microbrute and minibrute have the same audio circuit

if you want to get the 1:1 experience, you just need to patch in an extra LFO and aftertouch
>>
>>51483990
>DSI Evolver
Is there avideo that showcases it well, the ones I watched it sounded ugly as fuck in
>>
>>51484261
>DSI Evolver
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCCm00KESUk
>>
got a good deal on an akia mpk 49.
what do i do now? I can play piano and know some music theory. my computer is real nice to, just need a sound card.
>>
>>51484317
Yeah, still not really feeling it.
>>
>>51484325
get a DAW and plug in your akai via usb.

Whatever daw you get: logic, cubase, FL studio, etc. (doesn't matter which one) will have a bunch of preset synths and instruments inside of it that you can play with your akai and edit on your computer
>>
>>51483954
I also have a Korg Triton with a 300 pages manual and big menu screen.

I spent more time with that machine turning the 4 knobs it has than reading the manual.
knobby synths have one page manuals. It's all about what you think in your head and making it on the fly.
any knobby synth, I don't advertise system1, it was affordable for me and had the functionality for my needs so I got that.

I think BassStation II has better sound but the functionality doesn't work for me at the moment.

But it is true if you can andure menus and learn to work fast on them, you will be in a better position down the line.
>>
Who PureData/Max MSP here?
>>
>>51484421
I tried once, but I gave up because I'd rather make music than code
>>
>>51484408
so i got it working with FL.
not really sure how mapping things work.

should i just google some guides or anything else everyone wished they learned in the start to make things a little easier?
>>
>>51484416
I wasn't dissing you personally. I'm just not a fan of the whole no menus idea.
>>
>>51484421
Pure Data here, anymore I don't really use anything else. Hardware stuff is all dusty.
>>
File: tv_hungry%26gay.png (493KB, 800x781px) Image search: [Google]
tv_hungry%26gay.png
493KB, 800x781px
>>51484529
No worries. Just discussing.
>>
>>51484120
It kinda depends on what you're looking for, but some guitar processors offer a lot of stuff for not much money, and they can do a bunch of weird stuff that's generally overlooked by guitarists.
>>
>>51484404
It's really flexible and you can get more or less whatever you want out of it. The digital oscillators and delay modulation sound really dirty, and the filters aren't really wild, but otherwise it's whatever you want it to be.
>>
>>51484500
If you know music but don't know how to use a DAW, it's not that bad, just look for tutorials on how to use FL (there's a lot of shitty ones though). Also read the manual. Think of it like the tracks are the parts of your song, and then channels allow you to mix (raise volumes, frequency ranges, add reverbs, delays, etc.).
>>
Bump.

Mopho x4 or Prophet '08?
>>
>>51485399
Idk, What type of music do you make? IMO the P08 is way better, but if you don't need the 4 additional voices or the bigger keyboard you could get the mopho.
>>
>>51485438
I'm mostly doing right hand stuff on a minimoog, and my JX-10 is way too gigantic and has no knobs.

I just want a polysynth that's more snappy and Juno-like for my left hand.
>>
>>51485484
You could probaly get away with a mopho then. It's a bit more like a Juno since it has a sub osc. Be prepared to drop some cash on a nice analog chorus if you want the juno sound though.
>>
>>51485542
Oh I already have a pretty good chorus box.

I also have a Leslie that might be fun with it.
>>
>>51485484
Get something different. There's too much overlap there.
>>
>>51485595
I want it specifically for a gigging setup, which is why I want to replace the giant ass JX-10. I also don't want to have to deal with another vintage instrument that needs constant maintenance. I also have a DX7 and a combo organ in this rig.

What do you think would fill it's niche better? And what would you constitute as "different"
>>
>>51485399
Get the PHAT 108

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazona.de%2Ftop-news-interview-behringer-entwickelt-synthesizer%2F&edit-text=
>>
What's a relatively cheap good fake TB-303?
>>
>>51485676
If it's for gigs, maybe it should be a cheap VA or something. The problem is, gigs or not, you're spending money on something that isn't all that different from what the JX can already do.

>I also don't want to have to deal with another vintage instrument that needs constant maintenance.
Most of them don't really need all that much maintenance. I know it's not really so gig-friendly, but maybe an ESQ-1 or something would broaden the tonal palate a little bit.
>>
>>51486210
Again, I'm looking to replace the JX-10, not add to it. I want something that is a poly that I can edit on the stage.

I've already tried using a Blofeld, but that makes the setup even more complicated. It does what I'd need the ensoniq to do, but with the advantage of not having ensoniq build quality.

From the way you make it sound, the Mopho x4 is exactly what I need.
>>
Got an Elektron Analog 4 the other day.

It's good.
>>
File: MiniBruteSE-large.jpg (95KB, 750x411px) Image search: [Google]
MiniBruteSE-large.jpg
95KB, 750x411px
>>51484146
>>51478808

Thanks guys. I just placed an order for the Minibrute SE, got it for $370 shipped so I think I did pretty good. Cant wait :D
>>
>>51486345
I'm jelly not gon' lie
>>
>>51486345
dude, nice
>>
File: m_Fumijoy.jpg (89KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
m_Fumijoy.jpg
89KB, 1280x720px
>>51486345
>>51486345
Have fun!
>>
>>51486345
First synth? Either way, good job!
>>
File: IMG_0714.jpg (303KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0714.jpg
303KB, 1600x1066px
bumparooni
>>
>>51486345
Sequencer trick: Hit C2 then C3. Turn the sequencer on and you can now play octave bass lines without any skill ala New Order.
>>
File: tumblr_n1tnoetZvk1rto4zzo1_500.jpg (44KB, 480x359px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n1tnoetZvk1rto4zzo1_500.jpg
44KB, 480x359px
>>51476626

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9diUmnnk-k
>>
Getting a Moog LPF from UPS tomorrow. Plan to run it with my Microbrute and bass fuzz. Will post results later.
>>
>>51489205
The envelope filter? You might just be better off running bass though it, it has balls.
>>
>>51489254
Yeah, feels like the LPF on the microbrute is a bit lacking so I stepped up my game and ordered the moog. I'll be experimenting with a whole bunch of things but I'm pretty excited overall.
>>
>>51489303
your best friend with that pedal will be the gain knob, there's something well thought out in that gain circuit
>>
File: graphic.png (85KB, 2237x709px) Image search: [Google]
graphic.png
85KB, 2237x709px
Who puredata here?
pic related, project on FM synthesis and it's effects
(FMorgao => FMorgan, FMtambor => FMdrum, FMblocodemadeira => FMwoodenblock, FMfagote => FMBassoon)
>>
>>51490275
Holy shit this makes me not want to try pure data
>>
>>51490275
how can I get into puredata? Is it free? I have a bit of programming skill, but c sounds still went over my head.
>>
>>51490689
That makes me want to use puredata.
>>
>>51490691
It's completely free. All objects have a very nice and useful tutorial about them. The community is a little small, but you find a lot of tutorials online nevertheless
>>
>>51478474
Wtf I don't get it
>>
>>51490933
The V synth? Or the russian thing?
>>
>>51491086
Russian thing
>>
Is there any "synth guide" to help me catch up with this thing?
Thread posts: 174
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.