[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Since there's no DAW thread up to annoy I'll make one.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 14

File: fl-studio-10[1].jpg (56KB, 600x414px) Image search: [Google]
fl-studio-10[1].jpg
56KB, 600x414px
Since there's no DAW thread up to annoy I'll make one. Basically for a couple years I've been dicking around in them but I've never been able to produce much that wasn't just four bars repeating plus a few fills, adding or subtracting a track here and there. My stuff sounds -okay- but rather formulaic and uninspired so I have a few questions.

1. How do I manipulate pitch, volume etc. I remember making wubwubs through LFO but not how to do it, just that it was clunky. I'm talking fade-ins, bends etc. I don't really remember how to manipulate LFOs, envelopes and such.

2. What's your general process for creating songs?

3. Any decent, user-friendly plugins to "download"?

4. Any general advice?
>>
>>51405052
#1 referring to FLS, by the way. I don't care if Ableton, Logic or whatever are better, I'm not relearning this shit for the time being.
>>
>>51405052
1. Use automation.

2. These days, I use this badboy : http://yaxu.org/tidal/. Because you can create music and modify stuff on the fly, and it's very easy to use compared to SuperCollider / Overtone, or even Pd.

3. Soundhack free plugins are great.

4. Pratice, watch tutorials on youtube, and read stuff.
>>
>>51405140
Could you elaborate on #1?
>>
>FL
LMAO
>>
>>51405171
Quality post, would read again
>>
>>51405176
save it it's all yours friend :)
>>
>>51405204
Thanks Lori
>>
>>51405171
The producer's version is pretty good actually.
>>
Just get a few midi so you have physical knobs and buttons to mess around with. Making bleeps is expensive you know.

Get:
Mixer
Decks
Launchpad for drumbeats
Midi keyboard
A few control units with lots of assignable knobs.

It will make your bleeps more 'musical'
>>
>>51405159
I don't know which DAW you use (and I didn't try them all of course), so I can't help much, but look at this : http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug11/articles/mix-automation.htm

The second and third image show curves under the tracks. These curves modify some parameter as you play the song (it turns a knob, so to speak). I'm sure there is an option in your DAW to draw such curves.
>>
>>51405309
I have a MIDI keyboard and a Nanokontrol 2, and they all take dust.
I don't like to use them because I have to assign every knobs and shit to what I want to control before I make music, and I'm too impatient to do that. Maybe I will use the nanokontrol if I play live one day but MIDI controllers aren't necessary.
>>
any ideas where i can find cool drum samples (not loops, fuck loops) ?
i already have some 808 and 909 but the more i work with them the more i feel like they sound generic/blend
mb bc everyone is using them atm
>>
>>51405402
that's where you're going wrong buddyo
>>
>>51405159
1. Right click on a knob you want to automate (volume, tempo, w/e)

2. Create Automation clip

3. Fuck with shit til it sounds awesome

Also learn to love the piano roll, because it's the absolute best thing about FL studio.
>>
>>51405439
Right, this is what I was looking for, I'll try it later when I have access to my PC.

danke. Also to the other guy I'm not going to bother buying hardware
>>
making some weird shit these days, kinda goin for a psychedelic free-form dance music type vibe i guess. ableton is really fun to play with and get your ideas out
>>
>>51405416
Maybe not what you're after, but I love sampling drums from tv show intro themes, especially from old cartoons and stuff. I recently made a track using some drums from a playschool song from the 80s combined with some jazz drums and a bit of 808 and it worked pretty well.
>>
>>51405481
in reply to the questions

1. like the other anon said, automation

2. open up ableton and toy around with either a sample or a sine wave synthesizer till i have something i feel. find drums and play them. structure song accordingly.

3. idk i dont really use plug ins tbh hahaha

4. approach music with no presumptions or reservations, try to aim for a feeling as opposed to a sound.
>>
>>51405416
http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2010/09/16/free-sample-shootout-5-the-best-free-drum-machine-samples/
http://bedroomproducersblog.com/free-samples/

I like casio samples or anything speeded up/slowed down with a load of effects of them.
Or use VSTi drum machines.
>>
Listen, despite what everyone says and shit, FL is a fantastic, user friendly DAW. It's not unprofessional or whatever, it can Do everything Ableton can, it all depends on the skill and knowledge of the user. For example, Deadmau5 uses Ableton, and he's fantastic. But, then you have musical geniuses like Savant who is an avid user of FL and pRoduces better and more impressive content than literally 70% of the ElectRonic genre. Just saying.

Anyways, as previous anons said, get familiar with automation.
Also

Music theory
Music theory
And once again music theory
Learn. That. Shit.

Making a song is like making a cake;
Before you maKe it, you need ingredients
These ingredients are the knowledge and separate skills of: musical literacy, automation, the ins and outs of your selected DAW, proper plugins and efficiency with them (so baSically fuck nexus), observations made fRom other artists, and equipment. Once you have thOse ingredients, making the cake itself will be a relatively logical and creative process.
To get all these ingredients, the internet is your best friend.
To learn about your DAW and a bunch of other useful stuff (preferably FL), watch a guy called Seamless on YouTube, fantastic tutorials.
You're not alone, im also having trouble making non repetitive 4 bar beats, and not making my mixes sound empty, but persistence will fix that.

Also, brilliant thread OP.
>>
>>51405692
except for that in music a super dry or super sweet cake can be really enjoyable, never forget to test out extremes
>>
>>51405692
Former chef-fag reporting in, baking is 95% science. The slightest fuck-up or variation can easily ruin what your dish. Ever get a -little- egg yolk into a meringue? The whole thing is shot at that point.
>>
>>51405842
Ruin your dish* Grammar hard.
>>
>>51405692
I would add to that : learn basic DSP theory. You don't need to know that a basic low pass filter = x[n]*0.5 + x[n-1]*0.5, but just what a low pass filter does, how to use a compressor, etc.

Btw I don't know a lot of music theory, except what I learned with guitar lessons (major/minor/7th chords & basic scales), so do you know any good resources for learning more ?
>>
>>51405894
In Fruity Loops I heard of people making a ghost channel where they'd basically put the notes of a scale/chord/whatever in to use as reference.

I'm not entirely sure how to do this, thoughy.
>>
>>51405842
Ah yes you are definitely right, i completely agree. as music, just like baking a cake, requires implementing the perfect amounts of each element in order to make the perfect result. Like you said, both processes are a science as well as an art, which could be mastered through preparation, experience, and observation.
>>
>>51405949
Except as I said, a slight fuck-up or variation won't ruin an entire track.
>>
>>51405929
Yep, it's a very common method used by beginners as well as advanced users looking for complexity and variation alike. You just basically fill in all the spaces for the chords you will most likely be using (in electronic the minor chords are your best friend), and then simply deactivate the channel with all those chords (make sure you also have ghost notes selected, which will allow you to see the chords on other channels.
>>
>>51405894
Honestly, you're in decent shape. Music theory isn't necessarily required, although it will smooth out and ease the rough pAtches when creating music. Just know as many chords as possible, since it will only benefit you, and the basics of Creating basslines and melodies.
>>
>>51405991
Actually it can, especially when recording. And a slight fuck up won't ruin every recipie.

The analogy he made was good, quit being a little bitch
>>
>>51406036
Nobody is talking about recording
>>
>>51405052
>1. How do I manipulate pitch, volume etc.
There's no sugar coating this answer OP;
Get a midi controller/keyboard, learn to play it, learn your scales and chords. Any producer worth his salt knows some basic theory.

>2. What's your general process for creating songs?
I usually work one instrument at a time out. I mostly start with a melody, but sometimes it's a beat or rhythm I've been patting out on the counter for a while. Usually a single melodic idea isn't enough to carry a song though, so I'll jam out the idea and build variations, and eventually I'll come up with a related melody that isn't the same as the first one. Sometimes the ideas are linked only by rhythmic motifs, or maybe they are in the same key or at the same tempo, sometimes I have to build a transition to get from one to the other. This is the arranging process. Sometimes it takes a few minutes, sometimes it takes a few years. Just depends on the map I have in my head.

I find writing things down is really hepful, sketching things out is good too, also doing scratch and sketch recordings are useful too.

3. Any decent, user-friendly plugins to "download"?
Yup. The FSF has a veritable butt-load of VSTs free of charge. It's important to do research and learn what each thing does or at least how you're supposed to use it.

4. Any general advice?
Keep at it, always. Focus less on production and more on composition, after all, music is about organizing sounds. Follow your ears; if it sounds good to you, then go with it. Theory is a useful tool, but my no means the end-all be-all guide to making music, sometimes you have to break the rules to get the point across.
>>
i seriously hope i don't share a board with people that unironically use fl studio
>>
>>51405052
1. RTFM
2. Fuck around until something comes out
3. mda Piano and mda ePiano
4. RTFM and practice. Instead of using a fuckload of VSTs, pick a few and learn them well. Learn some fucking theory. Finish your songs, even if they're shit.
>>
General advice is to learn your fucking DAW. I know a lot of people around here say you should experiment, but ideally you should read a ton of tutorials, both on the specific functions of the DAW, and on the general principles of electronic music - synth programming, sampling, delay, envelopes, filters etc
>>
>>51406080
>quit being a little bitch
Is just an anolgy, get over yourself.
>>
>>51406096
fyi fl studio voted better than both ableton and cubase in every professional review/comparison I've read
>>
>>51406146
You're the one being a little bitch :^)
>>
>>51406080
this entire thread is about recording/producing.
>>
>>51406091
You guys see this motherfucker? He knows what he's talking about. Just like he and I said, know your music theory and CHORDS
>>
not dissing fls capabilities but the ui is fucking disgusting. looks like a mid 90s website
>>
do you guys leave the fruity limiter on the master untouched
>>
>>51406224
No, I hard limit the master because I like to live on the edge.
>>
>>51406242
>No, I hard limit the master because I like to live on the edge.

no you do that because your shit at mixing
>>
>>51406096
Come on, a tool is a tool, and you don't judge a book by its cover.

>inb4 flbabypleb detected
I use Bitwig and Renoise because I use loonix.
>>
making music is fucking hard, i can't be bothered

i'll just be a listener instead
>>
>>51406270
It's just a joke anon, settle down.
>>
>>51406202
Practice makes perfect.

>>51405052
Also, OP, don't be afraid to make bad music and generally fuck shit up. It happens, and making a mistake, or following a dead-end thread will eventually leave you with valuable experience.
>>
>>51405692
>hurr dur learn music theory
>his musical points of reference are deadjoel and savant
kek dont listen to this kid, he has literallh no idea what hes doin

>>51405842
>>51405949
except all you can make is the same tired old ancient western identicake thats been gettin made for centuries of vapid musical history
>>
>>51405692
>For example, Deadmau5 uses Ableton, and he's fantastic. But, then you have musical geniuses like Savant who is an avid user of FL

i think i had a panic attack reading that. i hope some people on this thread do things with their tools other than EDM
>>
>>51406323
You literally have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>51406297
That's the feeling I find myself coming across quite often as an amateur producer, but about halfway inTo my listening sections i always hear that voice in my head dictating all the techniques the arTist I'm listening to is using and seeing how beautifully logical it all flows together, and then ask myself why aren't you trying to make that, it's possible for me to do that. And that's basically my motivation.
>>
>>51406323

Not him but

You must be a great producer anon, show us your tunes !^)
>>
don't know how useful or appropriate this is to thread but my big tip:

listen to more music. listen to music you wouldn't normally listen to. you should absolutely spend more time working on novel ideas, arragnements and melodies than on your software and equipment and mixing. seriously if you're not making good music yet don't get all amped about compression and EQ
>>
>>51406341
i literally do
>>51406358
>trying to ad hominem
get fucked, im too famous in avant garde art music circles to be postin my shit on here
>>
>>51406323
Oh fuck off. Yeah I used those two examples, they were the first to pop into my head. They're not the only ones I can name. We're not arguing about artists and Genre preferenCes right now.
And yes, music theory is pretty important in music proDuction, not the only important thing, but one aspect I personally stress.

I have no idea what I'm talking about?
I fucking hate people like you, going on threads just to criticize, yet Give no adviCe or help themsElves.
Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>51406358
There's a weird anti-theory mentality on this board, but they never give any examples of non-western music. They just post bleeps which are typically much more conforming to entry level harmony than most classical music. A bit ironic really.
>>
>>51406394
are we Jbenitex now?
>>
>>51406394

Okay, letting apart the ad hominem part.

Justify yourself
>>
How much music theory do i need to know?
>>
>>51406454
Enough to know how major and minor scales work, and how chords work with each other
>>
>>51406417
Agreed. Most of the soundcloud/production threads are filled with anit-intellectualism instead of people asking question, and having reasonable people respond.

I think it's because music theory is REALLY HARD for some people and REALLY EASY for others. The people who find it easy don't understand why the others find it hard, and don't explain things well. While the people who find it hard feel they are being treated like morons.

It's a bad cycle, and lots of people are guilty of contributing.
>>
>>51406386
This guy also brings up a good point. Go out of your musical comfort zone, look into genres you normally wouldn't try. Once you expand your listening boundaries, look for tricks and techniques in each of these songs, and their rules. Then, you could ultimately make a mix that dips into many different genres, thus making yourself a more experienced, diverse proDucer.
>>
>>51406402
you've literally offered nothing though. you wrote a wall of text that says nothing. learn music theory? yeah everyone knows they ought to do that. making music is like making a cake and you need to make sure you do everything that you'd normally do when making a song? why are you making metaphors about common sense? why is automation an essential "ingredient", it's a preference/stylistic thing it's not necessary at all though you might have gotten the impression it was based on the fact that you listen you primarily listen to edm which is focused on closely emulating very specific production techniques rather than novel musical or production ideas. go on the internet for information? nice tip, where do you think we are now. and you end your big advice post by telling us that you don't know what you're doing either? the one thing i can give you is that you actually recommended a youtube channel for people to check out which i will be doing
>>
>>51406479
Yeah, I tend to shy away from soundcloud threads here. There's no point in wasting my breath on people who can't take criticism.
>>
>>51406461
Oh thats easy, i already know how to write sonatas and gregorian chants, etc
>>
>>51406491

Why are random letters in Caps in your posts?
>>
>>51406525
Well then you're pretty much set. My advice now is to find a better website to discuss music at. Mu is fine in doses, but it shouldn't be your only avenue of discussion
>>
I think we all need to collectively establish hOw much music theory is required as well as in what areas of genres it's required in.
Why is music theory frowned upon? It's the fundamentals of music. Yes music has no boundaries and is used for expression, but it's like trying to do calculus without any undErstanding of algebra. You need to know where to start.
Ultimately, the music you're trying to make will eventually begin to demand and outline what needs to be known in order to make its fruition possible. It's quite poetic actually, the music begins to talk to and instruct you as to what needs to be done to make itself possible.
>>
>>51406386
+1 to this
>>51406402
sure pal. i thought it was obvious what my advoce was perfectly clear, if not then here:
>dont allow yourself to be indoctrinated by western harmonic theory and rob yorself of a chance to understand for yourself how music actually works
>>51406454
as much as you can derive by yourself
>>51406461
>scales
>chords
wrong, not every music uses scales and chords
>>
>>51405894
This was one of the reasons I got FL, so I could play with effects racks and equipment I have no money (or need) to own myself.
>>
>>51406602
Well everything uses a scale except noise, but noise is just idiotic
>>
>>51406525
you might want to look into some 20th century harmony and compositional techniques if you haven't done so. avoid serialism, but everything else is fair game and extremely relevant to electronic music
>>
>>51406602
>sure pal. i thought it was obvious what my advoce was perfectly clear, if not then here:
>dont allow yourself to be indoctrinated by western harmonic theory and rob yorself of a chance to understand for yourself how music actually works

Unless you have a valid theory of how music actually works this could be trolling as well.
If you're serious expose your theory.

Also, favorite artists for information?
>>
>>51406602
How is it wrong? He was asking specifically about theory.
>>
>>51406602
western harmony is all about how music actually works, though. that's what's great about it. are you bitter because you failed your freshman theory course or something?
>>
File: 012702-1415744954402-i.4cdn.org.png (455KB, 500x1140px) Image search: [Google]
012702-1415744954402-i.4cdn.org.png
455KB, 500x1140px
how the fuck is this possible
>>
>>51406602
Care to cite anything or post any music that proves your points? You're kind of coming off like a 9/11 "truther" who doesn't have an explanation for the WTC collapsing.
>>
>>51406697
gotta work harder m8 :-)
>>
>>51406640
>everything use a acale
u r making me kek, please keep going
>>51406669
>expose your theory
no but heres sum clue: everything is generative music, everything is process music
>favorite artists
none
>>
>>51406640
Actually, many noise artists use tonic pitches and scales.
>>
>>51406496
You're correct in saying automation is a styliStic component, I apologize for putting it in a fundamentals category, didn't inTend to do that.
And what I'm saying is basically a very condensed form of what I actually wish to say, since this is a thread, not a blog. That's just my style for writing In this thread. And don't say my advice is empty,it may be obvious to you but mAybe not to OP or the lurkers In this thread. I took examples from Electronica culture because yes that's my personal bias, the same bias you have when judging my preference in artists.
I understand what you're saying, but also realize I'm not trying to write an essay or trying to say that my preference is the best, im just trying to offer tips
>>
>>51406719
>heres sum clue

confirmed for trolling
>>
>>51406719
>generative music
>process music
Both of those terms were born of western harmonic theory.
>>
http://pastebin.com/ydi2YQT1

Made this pastebin (Work in progress) need to improve it,

anyone got suggestions / something that needs adding.
>>
>>51406734
Ah ok, the only noise ive listened to is pulse demo, it really hurt my ears as i wasnt expecting it to be so loud
>>
>>51406697

Holy fuck.
I know i'm still learning fl but I don't even do the quarter of this by track.
>>
>>51405481
Could I hear that?
I'm working on this slow, rave dance feel track right now.
>>
>>51406719
I'd really like to hear music that doesn't use a scale. The example I can think of is drone. And most drone music uses at least a pentatonic scale.
>>
>>51406778
I think that's the joke. I think he's just making fun of the anti-theory people
>>
>>51405052
1. automation like the other guys said. dont be lazy about it, automation is a huge part of making a song.

2. i dont even know. its all one giant combined process. whatever idea comes to mind i just do it. a melody, tuning a sound, automations, i just do it as it comes to me. drums are my weakness, i suck at doing drums, and get way lazy with them. it was way easier on FL to do drums. Maybe i just suck at Logic or need a new vst like Battery or something

3. just the usual stuff the pros are using.

4. keep making cool shit. its hard to do, but rewarding when done.

heres my shitty music i feel like im still improving with each song so theres that.

soundcloud.com/jsongmusic
>>
>>51405052
Find torrents of Lynda.com tutorials for whatever DAW you need to learn. Very well produced tutorials that range from very simple to very detailed. You can find them on pirate bay and rutracker.
>>
>>51405402
Create a template where everything is set up, start from there.
>>
>>51406689
>western harmony is all about how music actually works, though.
i see you left out the word theory, you should google it to remind yourself what it means
>that's what's great about it.
>>51406734
>>51406778
>>51406815
>theorynerds will always confuse hamfisted analysis with constructive intent
>theorynerds will always claim everything is western harmonic theory
>theorynerds will never venture outside their sad little sandbox
what is the use
>>51406775
>implying im going to go into further detail am let theoryfags induct my proprietary work and claim it as their canon
top lel
>>
>>51406697
That is normal for a professional production.
>>
>>51406784
>http://pastebin.com/ydi2YQT1
Not a word about Pro tools, Cubase, Sonar?
>>
>>51405052
can i make hype williams/dean blunt type of music with a daw? if so how?

never made music before besides taking piano lessons and drum lessons as a kid
>>
File: AYYO.png (240KB, 796x697px) Image search: [Google]
AYYO.png
240KB, 796x697px
PIRATED REASON 5 MASTER RACE WHERE WE AT?

WE ARE STRONG INDEPENDENT PRODUCERS WHO DONT NEED NO VST
>>
>>51406394
hello jben. come back
>>
>>51407156
gonna do that

gonna add cubase / Protools / Maschine and what not, don't know a lot about pro tools & sonar so i need to do with descriptions and what not.
>>
>>51407205
reason 4&5 with no vst realy learned me to use the best out of only a few things, this was before i knew bout pirating and shit (2009-2010) and we shared this burned cd with all my friends with reason on it that we bought for 5 euro's
>>
>theorynerds will always claim everything is western harmonic theory

Nope, various regions of the earth have different theories of music.

>>implying im going to go into further detail am let theoryfags induct my proprietary work and claim it as their canon
>implying you can refute a theory without coming up with another

>proprietary work
Most musicologists write articles about their researches, have you any?

I don't even know what i talk to you.
You're really good at this anon.
>>
>>51405692
>Deadmau5 uses Ableton, and he's fantastic
>musical geniuses like Savant
Have you ever listened to either of those?
They're both really shit.
>>
>>51407205
>>51407454

That's how I started mah niggas. And upgrading to 7 felt better than sex.
>>
I was DJ'ing the other day and creating/recreating some instrumentals live to fit various acapellas. Although it looks pretty cool to make instrumentals on the fly, it's a pain in the ass because I can't do much more than a little open fader scratching on the side.

So I thought, "It'd be really nice if I could have these samples automatically play at the patterns I set.".

I think that's what a DAW does.

If a DAW is what I need, are there any halfway-decent free ones with generic MIDI device support?
>>
>>51407542
lel musicology is about as hard a science as social marketing

yeah i write "research" if by that you mean detailed logical detailings on my methods, works, and practices
>>
>>51406784
you might wanna include some stuff like pd, max/msp, supercollider etc
>>
>>51407797
you could just pirate ableton
>>
Do you guys actually buy DAWs or used cracked versions?

I've tried using cracked versions, and jesus they just crash constantly. Not sure whether that's common, or if I just have a shitty laptop that can't run audio software for some reason.
>>
>>51405309
>Launchpad for drumbeats

Is this really worth spending the extra money on if I already have a midi keyboard?
>>
>>51407909
What have you tried using? Without any other information I'd guess it's your shitty laptop.
>>
anybody use loopers? I want something midi syncable so I can add loops to my sequences
>>
>>51407856
I was thinking of pirating one, but not sure if I need to, if there are free ones that'd also serve my purpose.

Some searching has led me to LMMS, but it doesn't seem to to support FLAC or WAV by default; which I find somewhat disgusting.

I'll try it if it's not too terrible.
>>
>>51405052
Off topic, but I would like some advice. Does anyone know of any free beat machines that I don't have to torrent that are simple to use? I don't really need anything too fancy, in the past I've used Hammerhead and hydrogen in the past. I like Hammerhead for its straightforwardness and discrete beat structure, but it's hard to see everything that's happening at once. Any help would be great.
>>
>>51409526
What DAW do you use, depending on the program you can use built-in drum pad-like racks.
>>
File: Le Crazy Panning.png (802KB, 1920x1037px) Image search: [Google]
Le Crazy Panning.png
802KB, 1920x1037px
>>51406096
I made all this on FL:
https://soundcloud.com/psllbof/close-the-airlock
https://soundcloud.com/psllbof/surfing-showreel-main-track-8
https://soundcloud.com/psllbof/one

Pretty much everything on this SC is FL Studio (Except Trench - real orchestra and the string quartet 4 - real quartet)
All you need is good samples and skillz

>>51406454
none.

if you're still writing music after 10 years and are considering getting paid work doing film soundtracks or recording bands, then go a nd learn music at university. learn theory, history, and music technology. all pretty handy for a professional
>>
>>51407954
It's not that great I sold my launchpad yesterday there are better drumpads out there.

I use an mpc now.
>>
>>51409710
As for an MPC, it's up to you if you feel like you'd use a drumpad.

I got one because I have a friend who plays drums and I want him to teach me to play on it/do stuff on it. I don't know what you want to do so I can't really tell you if a drumpad is something you'd need to do it. I don't think they're ever really 100% necessary.
>>
Can someone tell me if a Maschine is a good purchase or not? I make sample based hip hop beats and it seems like a pretty fun tool.
>>
>>51409773
I looked into the maschine too, and honestly they seem better than my old MPC 2000xl that's for sure. I don't know how they compare to the newer MPCs but I'd imagine they're pretty close in quality.
>>
>>51406697
holy fuck that is messy.

who the fuck uses the playlist?

i make an entire song on one pattern and move on to the next if i have another idea.

by the end of the project i have around 130 patterns of finished work, alternative works, ideas, and unfinished works.

I tend to make the entire album by selecting the pattern i want to the playlist since each pattern is a completed song.
>>
Posted these before, two sound design sessions I did with the Korg Monotron for sample chopping.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ty1d6qokt9734up/monotron%20session%2004-11-2014.wav?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/idub6djsor6l6tb/monotron%20session%2004-11-2014%202.wav?dl=0
>>
File: 1410417314371.jpg (61KB, 394x394px) Image search: [Google]
1410417314371.jpg
61KB, 394x394px
>>51410011
what the fuck man...
>>
File: confused and frightened.png (189KB, 640x429px) Image search: [Google]
confused and frightened.png
189KB, 640x429px
>>51410011
this is a bad idea
>>
>>51410011
>making entire songs in patterns
How the hell do you handle automation?
>>
>>51406697
Ehh its not that bad. Most Ive ever had was around 20 tracks and some of them were patterns with multiple sounds. That pic looks like its all audio clips and automation clips
>>
>>51410011
what the fuck
>>
>tfw these threads are always 96.7% bleeps and bloops "producers"
>>
>>51411547
What do you do?
>>
>>51407205
lol
>>
>>51406697
Overproduced trash probably
>>
File: 4falty.gif (1MB, 3520x1200px) Image search: [Google]
4falty.gif
1MB, 3520x1200px
Using Pro Tools and Reaktor mainly these days
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0k0yFzpDmQt
>>
File: daw.png (292KB, 1920x1034px) Image search: [Google]
daw.png
292KB, 1920x1034px
>>51411547
Here you go then.

A DAW is a tool. You can use a shitty DAW and make good music with it, or you can use a 'good' DAW and make amazing music. All it really affects is how easily and accurately you can produce your music.
>>
>>51406697
it's a madeon track. sauce:https://twitter.com/madeon/status/288964114162798592
>>
>>51413549
So it IS overproduced trash, I knew it
>>
Fl master race
>>
>>51407205
yessir only ever use reason honestly.
Once you learn to make your own synth patches there is nothing better
>>
>>51413682
reason is awesome, it's really nice as a piece of software that sets up reasonable (heh) limitations on what you can do so you're less likely to get caught up searching for the absolutely sonically perfect thing to add to your track. Without VSTS to think about it sorta streamlines the music making process. That said, I used just Reason for 8 years straight and it kinda fucked me up. You don't realize what sonic possibilities you're missing by sticking to one piece of software.
>>
>>51411547

I'm still learning but i'm inclined to produce ambient and trip-hop.
>>
>>51413601
lel, sure it is
>>
>>51405481
can you give help for using ableton?
like, how to get into ableton at all, this shit is incredibly hard compared to FL, where the first thing you saw when opening it was the sequencer.
>>
>>51414898
The following assumes you are in arrangement view.

Switching between Session and Arrangement is Tab.

To create a clip: highlight area and ctrl + shift + M

To set loop area: Highlight area or select clip and ctrl + L

To bring up piano roll, double click on a clip.

To bring up waveform view, double click on audio clip.

Bottom left screen when looking at a waveform will show you looping on/off, loop points, start/end points of the clip itself. There you can adjust volume, transpose, put into RAM, set to Hi-Q or Low-Q mode, change warping engine (Live's default warping mode is Beats, click on the box that says Beats to change this), etc.

To bring up clip based automation, click the E in a circle which is bottom left to the transpose knob. Same for automation in MIDI clips.

To manually warp bring up the waveform view and simple double click where you want to create a warp marker. Transients are automatically detected, this is the white lines above the waveform itself. Double click on transient markers to create warp markers.

To access track ins/outs, click the "i-o" in a circle on the right, to access return tracks, hit the R in a circle, for Mixer, M in a circle and for track delays, D in a circle (knamsayin).

To loop a clip that you've set to loop, just drag the clips end or beginning on the timeline.

To resize the piano roll, drag the upper border. To resize the notes themselves, click and drag on the note names on the left of the piano roll.

Any more questions and I'm here.
>>
OP here, holy fuck this thread took off. Will read it later or tomorrow, thanks to all of those who have helped.
>>
>>51406813
not sure if you or anyone else is still interested, but if you wanna hear it it's here

https://soundcloud.com/kooldadband/hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
>>
so question for the FLstudio master race out there, can anyone make sense of the sytrus LFO envelope? i always want to use it like i would in any other synth, but its confusing and doesnt really do what i want. have any of you guys figured it out?
>>
Renoise is best DAW. Deal with it.
>>
>>51415912
isnt it a tracker? why would i want to feel like im sequencing on lsdj in 2014. also, if its a tracker, is there a way to trigger your sounds off beat, or is everything perfectly quantized?
>>
i use cubase because it's easier and more graphic for MIDI editing, this helps a lot when creating songs.
>>
>>51415853
>FLstudio master race
>confusing and doesnt really do what i want
>>
so on a compressor, does the threshold bring the low end up and the ration brings the high end down, or is it the other way around?
>>
>>51416105
have you ever used sytrus? its a fucking beast
>>
>>51405416
record foley young niga
>>
>>51416112
Neither. Threshold is the level that the compressor will start to act on. So if your threshold is -5 db, the compressor won't do anything to something that's, say, -8 db.

Ratio is how much the compressor will act. A ratio of 2:1 will give you a 4 db gain reduction, 4:1 will give you 8 db gain reduction. (At least I'm pretty sure)
>>
>>51416112
when you say low end and high end... are you referring to frequencies/pitch? because a compressor deals (mainly) with amplitude/volume. it's not an EQ
>>
>>51416233
>>51416285
alright thanks , i remember reading about how a compressor squashes the dynamic range, and i worded the question wrong
>>
>>51407710
No shit I listened to them, and my opiNion still stands firm. I think Deadmau5 is a talented producer whose work I enjoy and your worthless opiNion isn't going to change that.
As for Savant, i do not know how you can call him shit when he's so diverse and open minded in comparison to other producers, he has skill, that's undeniable, more skill than you for sure. How he uses that skill and whether it sounds good is up for debate. And this is a thread about DAWs, not music preference. I tried making a point using those two producers as examples, don't make it the only aspect to focus on in my previous statement.
>>
>>51405052
my fave way to automate volume for fade ins and stuff is to right click the sample on the playlist and click Automate>Volume and it makes an automation track right there. this comin from an EXPERT,been using fl for 5+ years.
>>
>>51416514
>more skill than you for sure
Not even the guy you're talking to and I like Savant, but go fuck yourself with a cactus.
Ad hominem is a ridiculous defense and personal skill doesn't mean shit; take an argument for what it is or isn't, attacking the man behind the argument makes no sense and if he was better than Savant or Deadmau5 it wouldn't make his opinion more or less factual.
>>
>>51416153
How the fuck do you get good sounds out of sytrus? I know how FM works but how do you get soundgood?
>>
>>51405929
>almost 2015
>still saying frooty loops, when just FL or FLS is far easier and it hasn't actually been called froot loops for like over 10 years or some shit.

I cringed.
>>
>>51406096
nice bait, FLSbro, you caught a few :)
>>
>>51406224
No, I set the gain to 0 instead of 5.2 which is just set like that to stop stupid noobfags bitching 'how can I make my tracks loud like skrillex?'
>>
>>51416105
load the 1 bar triangle preset, should help you understand it better

Yes, I get how it works, all FLS envelopes like that are the same. once you get it, you'll get it.
>>
>>51417520
>implying FM is needed for good sounds.
what sounds do you want to make tho anon?
>>
>There are actually people right now who don't think Ableton is the god tier producer DAW
>>
>>51417520
i dunno, i use it like a regular subtractive synth, then if i feel like it i modulate it
>>
>>51419568
its probably a great program , but its not like it can do majorly different things that other daws cant use
>>
File: 1415780328060.jpg (174KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1415780328060.jpg
174KB, 1000x1000px
>>51419568
>there are people out there who aren't aware that cubase is the best
>>
>>51418573
That deeeeeep house synth, minimal house synth, or just house synths in general.
>>
how to make a minimal bass? i get tired of just throwing an lfo on a sub sinewave and a 4X4
>>
>>51419922
Try using a Rhodes.
>>
whats the difference between frequency ratio and frequency offset? because it seems like nothing
>>
>>51419922
2 op FM works good
>>
>>51405171
cool
>>
File: Wut.png (58KB, 726x590px) Image search: [Google]
Wut.png
58KB, 726x590px
>>51405171
>>51405176
>>51405204
>Actually thinking that FL is a shitty DAW, probably doesn't even know that madeon uses it
>>
>>51420163
damn , thats a good one, my jimmies are slightly ruffled
>>
>>51420163
>thinking at all there's such things as shitty DAWs anyway.

Shit I even thought reason was kinda bad but that doesn't stop results from coming out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CHVVstR7F0
>>
>>51420209
i would learn alot more than i know now, but i want to get gud using what im using, im wary of downloading new plugins and processors
>>
>>51420204
:^) gr8 deb8 m8
>>
>>51420209
Right? The dumbest fucking argument ever. It's literally a question of the DAW's ability to handle CPU load/native plugins or AUs and comfort with the DAW itself. End of story.
>>
File: renoise.png (5KB, 168x116px) Image search: [Google]
renoise.png
5KB, 168x116px
>>51415982

The advantage of using a tracker is that it's fast as hell and doesn't require endless clicking and dragging and zooming to do everything.

And of course you can trigger sounds whenever you want. Pic related, the blue column is note delay in 256 steps per line.
>>
>>51420339
fl studio does all of that shit wonderfully . granted the interface can be a little bit cumbersome sometimes, but thats my opinon, im using the demo. i dont know how people can knock it
>>
Just pick a genre and look at video tutorials. There are tons of them, really
>>
File: 1414213290643.jpg (111KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
1414213290643.jpg
111KB, 720x404px
>>51420460
I use renoise too but that's just because I grew up making chiptunes and don't like piano rolls, whenever I show people my shit then they're like "what DAW you use bro?" it's always like "renoise, but don't use it."

I struggle to recommend it to more normal users of software.
>>
>>51420550
it looks fun as hell, but whats it like sound design wise?
>>
>>51420497
I'm too comfortable with Ableton at this point to make a smooth transition (plus importing 700 gb of AUs and VSTs fucking sucks), but the workflow makes a lot more sense. Plus, the dedicated automation channels are such a selling point.
>>
>>51420550

I switched to Renoise after using Logic for years and I actually found it really easy to get used to. The only tough part is figuring out the tracker, but everything else about it should come easily to anyone with any DAW experience.
>>
>>51420550
I've tried the demo, seems like fun to use, is there any good reason to switch to it from FL Studio? Advantages/disadvantages?
>>
>>51420609
what do you mean what's it like sound design wise? It's like any other daw. Really, I've done everything from full on orchestral mockups, funk, IDM, dance music etc. in it. It just has limitations that sometimes force you into rewiring it if you're into recording a lot of real world stuff.

http://picosong.com/fHNi/

http://picosong.com/fpQr/

this one's the orchestral one so turn it up, it's quiet.

http://picosong.com/4nUN/

>>51420754
if you're comfortable in FL as it is IMO no, if you're not being frustrated and you don't feel kept down by the process at all then go ahead IMO. FL is more fully featured than renoise when it comes down to it.
Thread posts: 190
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.