[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIY/House Shows Discussions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 10

File: house-show2[1].jpg (125KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
house-show2[1].jpg
125KB, 960x640px
How do you guys feel about the DIY scene where you live or else where? How do you feel about house shows? Do ya love 'em do ya hate 'em and why?
>>
>>51095046
minneapolis is pretty rockin in this respect. although i don't have much to compare it too, i guess
going to one in about an hour
>>
I like when people BBQ or sell cheap beer house shows. Its an incentive for everyone to stick around.
>>
>>51095046
hated it stopped going after our so called local hardcore bands started doing drake covers

and im not fagtano lvl where i can persuade people with my usage of clever words .

but besides that the people are cool
just they have no idea at all on how to play music and arent open minded at all
>>
>>51095151
I've heard Minneapolis is a pretty chill place and the scene is pretty tight.

>>51095200
Yeah, a lot of house show venues around here would have little "bar type" set ups. I don't know of any that ever BBQ'd though. I might start doing that at my own house.

>>51095252
Yeah, it's hard to have a good scene with bands like that. All people around here seem to be interested in is having punk shows.
>>
no scene here in phoenix, but down to get involved
>>
it's alright

>>51095200
gotta be careful with the beer man. one place I used to frequent had a halloween party where undercover cops arrested two of the folks for selling alcohol and some other stuff.

place had to shut down 'cause officers did a walk through, then had an inspector come through. building needed hella repairs, so it was condemned for a bit, and all the folks living there got booted with only like a month or two's notice.
>>
>>51095648
yeah, idk what is going on here in phx, nobody is doing SHIITTT. i was gonna try to have a house show while my parents were away but they decided to be shabsters and stay home all summer.
>>
yeah house shows are tight especially when theres beer. usually people will only go if they know someone in one of the bands or at least like one of the bands, but beer is a good way to make people stick around for the other ones. i live in a suburb outside of LA, and shows IN LA and hollywood are never really DIY but there's some tight house shows outside of the city
>>
boston has a great scene for that. i have hosted and played many house shows. really great community even if the majority of local bands are very derivitive of one another
>>
Just hosted one last night

They're awesome and all but there's always worrying to be had about the cops showing up and people drinking too much and not being able to handle themselves

a lot of the time my roommates and I just seem to end up patrolling/babysitting rather than enjoying the show. But it's nice to have a place to keep the "scene" alive here (northern New England college town surrounded by barren wasteland music-wise)
>>
File: SAX.gif (23KB, 360x351px) Image search: [Google]
SAX.gif
23KB, 360x351px
>be 18
>parents are gone for two weeks
>vegan/straight edge
>throw house show/party my band, a dj, and pop-punk band
>no fake id
>pull a clone high get fake beer
> all bbq is mock meat from loving hut
>no one really seemed to notice
>after last band i grab mic and tell them they've been le trolled
>the EDGY AS FUCK meat-eaterz/underage-drinkers get pissed
>my band loses 15 likes on fb
>if you wanna pull a big heist you have to take a small hit
>tfw
>>
>>51096616
They misheard you.

You said you'd bring the... beeaarrdddds.
>>
I'm in Orange County, there are a lot of shitty house shows but honestly they're pretty fun

I've played a bunch. Enjoy doing it.
>>
>>51095699
Yo, that's the type of shit I'm always afraid of happening at one of my shows!
>>
File: gimmiepizza.jpg (14KB, 237x256px) Image search: [Google]
gimmiepizza.jpg
14KB, 237x256px
>go to this DIY show after failing my psych 101 exam
>pretty cool spot, obviously a squatters spot through, scudzy, girmey looking locals and a few crusties
>music is mostly meh, random indie punk rock stuff
>Dude from my school is there, brought his trap gf
>he excuses himself to go smoke a "ciggie" and his trap gf begins to hit on me, I turn her down and begin chugging beer.
>she and like six dudes end up in some room
>an hour or so later said guy who brought trap gf ended up socking her in the face, screaming about her cheating on him...again
>my face the entire time
>>
Chicago has a great DIY scene
>>
>>51097711
What a shitty scene.
>>
>>51097735

got some rec's on venues? I'm in Hinsdale
>>
Any Savannah punks up in her?
>>
Dunno if my town really has the scene for it, but there is a pretty sweet venue that's a record shop during the day and has a mixed bag of bands playing. Place is loaded with couches and is usually BYOBeers too
>>
File: JIM_SMUG.jpg (9KB, 329x281px) Image search: [Google]
JIM_SMUG.jpg
9KB, 329x281px
>>51096198
>living with parents
>>
File: is this your face? .jpg (197KB, 900x1209px) Image search: [Google]
is this your face? .jpg
197KB, 900x1209px
>mfw
>>
File: or is this one your face? .jpg (224KB, 900x1271px) Image search: [Google]
or is this one your face? .jpg
224KB, 900x1271px
>>51098450
>>
File: how about this one? .jpg (217KB, 900x1097px) Image search: [Google]
how about this one? .jpg
217KB, 900x1097px
>>
File: my heroin chich when.jpg (218KB, 900x1218px) Image search: [Google]
my heroin chich when.jpg
218KB, 900x1218px
>>
>>51097711
so u didn't get pizza
>>
>>51098450
>>51098481
>>51098508
>>51098526
hot tamales, these are some fresh memes
>>
File: hippity.gif (271KB, 500x468px) Image search: [Google]
hippity.gif
271KB, 500x468px
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLCy0PeZG0Q

house shows are raw as fuck
>>
>>51099461
holy shit
>>
>>51099461
that shit is fucking tight, i wish MGMT stayed dance-driven rather than psych
>>
Are there any good house shows in the Melbourne area? Moving there soon
>>
There's a scene in Philly (though the true house show mecca of the tri-state area is really New Brunswick). I don't participate in it as I'm a bit of a recluse and most of it seems like posturing. I've started to make my own music, though, so I'm going to have to venture out one of these days.
>>
montreal has some pretty cool DIY spots / all ages, dont know of many house shows that go on, wish there were

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTBkMyojGQQ
favorite house show
>>
>>51095648
>>51096198
wtf where are you guys looking? there are house shows like every weekend
>>
never been to one bt i know they happen here in nashville
>>
>>51097711
>>51097816
idk what this guys talking about. that sounds glorious.
>>
Seattle. it's good. pretty active DIY scene but some places have recently gone away. i havent been to a house show in a long time but they were fun for what they were
>>
>>51097835
sup bitch I live in Clarendon Hills, lets go to shows together
>>
>>51095046
DFW dosen't have a lot of house shows, but they're always excellent.
>>
>>51102739
I'm not >>51097835
but hit a nigga up
>>
im in the boston area and i've never been to one of these
they look so much fun
>>
I had a blast at the house shows I went to, but that's only cause I knew all the bands and most of the people there, I probably wouldn't even think about going to a house show if I didn't know anyone there unless there was a band I really really really wanted to see playing
>>
My local scene consist of the following
>cover bands of 60's-90's song
>pop punk
>Christian Hardcore
> shitty, preset, playlist obvious skrillex-step

It's telling of my scene that the Christian Hardcore shows dwarf everything else. Thankfully they've been able to rope in other bands from other cities so we occasionally get a Garage , Sludge, Dance-Punk bands come through.
>>
anyone know of any good bay area house shows coming up?
>>
>>51102855
i lived in boston for high school and college
most of the good house shows are hard to find and a lot of them are sxe vegan hardcore. not a huge indie scene up there

i live in prov now and enjoy the scene a lot more
>>
>>51102944
lol thats terrible. where do you live?
>>
>>51095151
I go to school in St. Paul. Where do you find out about house shows?
>>
>>51102395
where? downtown?
>>
I don't go to live stuff, it intimidates me greatly. I listen to lots of metal though so it probably is best that I don't go.
>>
>>51102959

Laramie, Wyoming
>>
>>51095648
>tfw nothing in scottsdale
>>
>>51099461
this is cool as hell to see
>>
>>51102834
I'm the Clarendon Bro, here's my email. Drop me a line.
[email protected]
>>
File: 1372262535577 2.jpg (67KB, 328x323px) Image search: [Google]
1372262535577 2.jpg
67KB, 328x323px
anybdy dc richmond baltimore?
>>
Chicago, despite being such a big city has a real shitty scene for this. It exists, but everyone involved is such an insufferable faggot.
>>
>>51102944
>>51103069
As a former South Dakotan (I live in DC now) I know that feel too well
>>
I live in Portland. Anyone know any good spots
for DIY/house shows?
>>
>>51095046

I live in Bushwick, which is a neighborhood in Brooklyn where the DIY scene is arguably the biggest and strongest in the world (by strongest I mean there's never really any downtime at all. Over 10-15 DIY venues at least, each with their own shows almost every single night and zine paper listings and such) and there's still nothing that's caught my attention in months really. Kind of upsetting.

New York has been overdue for a revolution for a long time now. A lot of people are moving to LA, especially now that it's getting cold. I never give up hope though.

House/loft shows are the absolute best and the most fun to attend. There's this one "venue" that's actually just my friend's apartment called Cheap Storage. We played a bunch there when we were starting out and shows there are always amongst the best vibe. Let it be known that house/loft shows are the easiest shows to get laid at and easily the most memorable.
>>
Maine is actually pretty descent if you know the right people. I play a floor tom with paint brushes in some shitty folk punk band and we get shows all the time. People are mostly supportive of each other. The only real problem is that people almost invariably leave. There is also a clear and present line of demarcation between the punk and hardcore kids that can lead to trouble when someone is silly enough to book bands that will draw both sides.
>>
>>51103010
Not the dude you replied to but I just went to a house show in Tempe last night. It was fucking insane too
>>
>>51102599
Can you share some places? Just moved from milwaukee and miss the scene
>>
>>51103320
I saw Krayola, Eaten by Trees, and Paul Baribeau there and wasn't too impressed with the crowd
>>
>>51103822
ask someone where the black lodge is (everyone will know). its the largest and busiest diy place
>>
>>51103010
some of it is in downtown but most of it is in Tempe. Go like "The Underground Foundation" and "Rubber Brother Records" on Facebook. you got a last.fm?

>>51103733
You talking about the Playboy Manbaby show?
>>
>>51103844

The crowds are the worst, its nothing but students from Columbia and SAIC who embody every stereotype you can think of a pretentious self-involved art student. There must be an unwritten rule that showing any level of enthusiasm is heresy. In the suburbs the punk/metal scene is alright but it is real hit or miss
>>
>>51096198
>Phoenix
>Nothing to do

try living in Tucson. There's NOTHING here. The only thing I know going on this week is that Dads are playing on Friday. Thought they were gonna pass by with Nai Harvest but I was mistaken

wish I lived in Phoenix
>>
Any one in the Austin area? Been to a couple house shows. one that's a bit more official does monthly shows but been looking for other places. It's hard for me to find these scenes as I don't know many people in bands but try. where are the better house shows in Austin?
>>
I don't like "deathcore" so there is nothing to go see in Oklahoma.
>>
>>51095046
Providence, Rhode Island

it's fucking wonderful. I'm seeing Screaming Females, Pujol, Whore Paint, and Downtown Boys in a warehouse space the size of my living room this week.

Downtown Boys are seriously the greatest band ever
>>
diyphl.com

There's sometimes shows around campus (Temple University), but I don't really know the "right people" to find out more about them. The ones I've been to are a pretty fun time.

Lot of emo, pop-punk, etc. Nothing truly off the wall, but once my band gets together that should change.
>>
>>51095699
that sounds like something that would happen in Brooklyn

Providence has been pretty lucky regarding police intervention, however we have had HUGE problems in the past with the city selling buildings out from under the existing communities.

Attempts to force development and gentrification of what is viewed as a "bad" area = still a "bad" area, except now there are fewer places for art and music to thrive. All the businesses that set up shop on properties that used to be warehouses/mills end up failing
>>
I really hate basement/house shows that are really clique-y tho. Everybody knows everybody, and if you don't you kind of just stick out. Everybody has beer, but nobody knows where to get some, etc

thankfully those kinds of places never really get shows that are actually good

>>51096258
r u hutton
>>
>>51104260
learn to love deathcore my man
>>
>>51096422
Are you in W Mass? I hear there are great scenes in Amherst and Easthampton, but I've never experienced it because both towns are 2 hours away from fucking EVERYTHING

>>51102855
Boston is tough, because they have A LOT of trouble with the cops, so to even know a show is happening you usually need to know someone directly involved in a band or the space. It's why my trips to Boston for shows are p much exclusively for "legit" shows.

>>51102958
bruh let's go to shows together

have you been to Spark City?
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.