[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

clipping.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 4

Is this /mu/core anons? Why not?

>http://vimeo.com/97166268

Thank you based fantano.
>>
i dunno, from what Ive seen /mu/ isnt a huge fan of this album. I personally think its really good but the argument I've seen is that the lyrics are bad
>>
>>48726606
oh god, the lyrics blow so much ass. it's hiphop, that's their one fucking job. so shit.
>>
Dreadful album
Literally everything about it is shit. And worst of all, it's just boring.
>>
5.6core
>>
>so harsh, so edgy
>>
Clipping is horrible.

They only have one good song the rest is just angst, 2/10. I'm not holding my breath for this group to churn out something good, ratking on the other hand is doing ok.
>>
This album is everything Yeezus's detractors claimed it was - lazy, cringe-worthy, and not nearly as experimental as it thinks it is.
>>
>>48726463
Sounds super poppy in a boring way which is impressive for an album with one beat being just feedback. The lyrics are shit, the rapping is plastic, and the music is just very boring.
>>
File: clppng.png (968KB, 1650x660px) Image search: [Google]
clppng.png
968KB, 1650x660px
i was expecting electro-synth death grips
i got a sink and an alarm cloack
>>
it's not midcity
>>
>>48726732
Clppng makes yeezus look like a masterpiace.

>>48726763
It's weird to see people saying this is shit now, when it first came out every one was screaming "7/10!". This was pretty much my big let down of the year but after seeing their other work idk why I thought other wise.

>yfw you find out they used to make le ironic adventure time music
>>
I sure do like them as a band, but I wish the flows were less mainstream sounding?

The band detailed that they listen to mainstream stuff and that they want to embrace the sounds that come from it instead of pushing it away like most experimental hip hop groups do in Fantano's interview with them.

Basically they enjoy hearing the combination of two polar opposites and sharing ideas with the two genres (harsh noise and mainstream hip hop), which I can respect.

Also, the lyrics are pretty tight most of the time.
>>
Really liked this album. Loved the fusion of experimental and mainstream. I also don't think the lyrics are bad.
>>
>>48726732

Show me a better noise-hop group/person than clipping.
>>
A few good songs and the rest is just not listenable.
>>
>>48726838
They need to go back to those Midcity roots
>>
>>48726838
i gave a chanche to this album despite i dont really like the genre because the overhype of them, i remember a lot of people as you said screaming high rates. Its pretty forgettable
>>
This is the AOTY for me because it does everything it sets out to do in a cohesive, innovative way, but /mu/ hates it because it's not Death Grips.
To all the dumbasses saying that Midcity was better than CLPPNG: CLPPNG is pretty much just Midcity but executed better. Yeah I guess there's less harsh noise, but in terms of production and lyrics, CLPPNG is just Midcity but better.
Lyrically, this album is very good. The lyrics are sometimes a bit blunt or simple but overall they accomplish exactly what they need to. The MC's flow is out of this world. And hey, guess what: pretty much any lyrics are better than "HUSTLE BONES COMING OUT MY MOUUUUUTH"
And this record is innovative. Name me one rap song that has a constantly shifting time signature like Story 2. Or a rap song that only has a fucking alarm clock as a beat
The whole point of CLPPNG is to blend together weird ass experimentation with pop music sounds. This music is clearly industrial/noise influenced, but some of the songs even have a danceable beat. But it's not death grips and the album is popular with pitchfork so I guess it sucks.
>>
>>48728228
Also, how can people call this album boring and then love snooze fests like So It Goes and Lese Majesty?
>>
>>48726463
album was pretty lame
>>
I think it's a decent album and not one that you have to sit on your own to listen to without feeling weird. I could imagine playing some of these songs at a rave or a big party and the fact they still manage to keep it interesting while making catchy and original beats which are danceable is impressive and deserves recognition
>>
>>48726621
If you take the lyrics at surface value, then yes they are bad. But I don't see how people aren't releasing that their are supposed to be caricatures and commentary. I mean, it seems pretty obvious.
>>
>>48728290
>So it Goes is a snooze fest
>>
>>48726838
But the difference between clipping. and Kanye on yeezus is that they aren't trying to be cutting edge and experimental. Kanye appropriated a style that was big in underground hip hop and then said oh my album is so creative, blah blah. Clipping obviously is influenced by industrial and noise, but what they do is try to make songs with tight structures and more listenable compositions. So while they are not that experimental, they are doing a good job at what they went for. They took crazy noise influences, but they brought it back some like they wanted to. It's the same thing they did on midcity.

And I know the lyrics completely flew over /mu/ but this album is far more enjoyable than yeezus. Kanye has always been one of the most mediocre mc's out there in mmy opinion.
>>
MC can't ride a beat and the subject matter is super super super boring despite the obvious attempt at forcing social commentary. The album just isn't very memorable or emotionally effective. It's just kinda.. bleh with some really good production here and there.
>>
I love this album, but I understand why it is polarizing. They took noise hop out of the experimental realm and implemented some more standard song structures and some satirical lyrics. The people who dislike are both listeners of experimental hip hop and listeners of more mainstream stuff. On one hand some people complain that it is too straight forward, and that it's just dumbed down noise hop. But other people are saying it's a good rapper ruined by an unnecessarily experimental album.

Me personally, I think they did a good job. No one really sounds like them, except for yeezus a little bit.
>>
All this album proves is that /mu/ worships p4k more than fantano. After the fantano review /mu/ was going nuts. But now that the p4k review came out all of the sudden an album that only had a few critics per thread now is mostly disliked here.
>>
>>48727775

still waiting
>>
>>48730707
I don't think there are any 'better' or 'best' artist in any genre. The whole this is better than this and this is better than this mentality ruins the enjoyment of music. By that logic, you should only listen to what you think is the very best album of all time. There's nothing wrong with liking clipping. AND Death Grips
>>
>>48730808

I like clipping. and Death Grips a lot but I would not say they are both noise-hop, clipping. is the noise-hop group while DG is more like industrial.

I'm just asking for an example of anyone who does what clipping. does better than clipping. does it.
>>
>>48729755
Yeah, Kanye's lyrics are pretty bad a lot of the time, but damn if his beats aren't consistently good.
>>
>>48730845
The only thing remotely close to clipping. is yeezus in some ways. And well, meme's aside we all know that album is shitty.

The thing I like about clipping. is that no one is really similar to them. They are obviously highly influenced by noise hop, but they are doing their own take on it. They brought noise hop from experimental to more accessible, and in my opinion they did a good job on doing that.
>>
>>48730918
He always has top notch production. He's a good producer. And he makes good choices with the people he works with and whose beats he chooses to use. It's just him as an mc. I feel like if literally anybody else was rapping on the production I would like it. Even on yeezus, the beats are great to me. It's just that kanye is such a superficial and boring rapper that I can't enjoy the album.
>>
>>48730922

Yeezus has only three songs that sound anyhing like clipping. (On Sight, Black Skinhead and I Am A God) and I don't know what bullshit "memes" you are talking about but I was hear when Yeezus leaked and I still fucking love it.

>>48730956

I think Kanye was easily at his most energetic on Yeezus.
>>
>>48730956
I've thought about that, too, but honesty, I think Kanye's voice matches his beats really well. Kanye just needs a better writer.

I like his voice and his concepts. His lyrics and flow could use quite some work, especially considering how long he's been in this game.
>>
>>48730983
That's why I said remotely. Meaning that it barely does if at all. And yes, kanye is energetic but it's the lyrics. He has some lines that are cool, but he also has a lot of lines that are so lack luster and meaningless. His lyrics are so lazy to me. His ego shows through his effort sometimes.
>>
Absolutely the most annoying album on my college radio's rotation right now. I turn it off anytime it comes on. Ugh.
>>
>>48731085
College radio sucks so bad. I'm good friends with one of the dudes who runs mine and he told me they don't even like a lot of the stuff they play. They literally just search for the most indie rock, underground hip hop and electronica shit because the demographic of college students are mainly into indie stuff.
>>
>>48730707
There is a lot of hip hop, new and old, that is "noisey." They just don't all put it in your face like some of these groups form the past couple of years. Even El-P, who had noisiness as an important element of his music wasn't corny about it.
>>
File: THIS.png (21KB, 1198x500px) Image search: [Google]
THIS.png
21KB, 1198x500px
>>48730704
>>
File: 1339759607261.png (67KB, 553x759px) Image search: [Google]
1339759607261.png
67KB, 553x759px
well first listen here

I don't like it

What is the message? I don't understand
>>
I really liked story and mobb2it from midcity but hated pretty much all the tracks from this one. Personally I think Yeezus is much better than both albums
>>
>>48727801
Kevin Martin.
>>
I'll go ahead and say Yeezus is way better than Midcity and CLPPNG. CLPPNG is like a 4/10 to me. Some good stuff here and there but I'm no fanboy or hater. It's just plain boring and a lot of people don't want to let that seep in. It will never be DG cause it's not.
>>
>>48732581

IT'S NOT TRYING TO BE DG JESUS CHRIST, THEY ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

YEEZUS IS LITERALLY MORE SIMILAR TO CLIPPING THAN DG IS
>>
I liked the album, re-listening to the songs helped me get a better grip on what was trying to be conveyed.
>>
>>48726463
No. /mu/ is too fixated on the tastes of either fantano or some writer at p4k to make up their own mind about anything. There will never be a levelheaded discussion about this album for as long as this board exists.
>>48731536
In what plane of existance was this album ever popular?
>>
>>48732620
Yeah, I don't understand that comparison. They might be in the same spectrum of hip hop but their style and approaches are completely different.
>>
>>48732913
It's popular in a lot of places. It's a very polarizing album. Some reviewers called it an album of the year already, but others are shitting on it. /mu/ is shitting on it because pitchfork. When fantanos review came out there where people saying they didn't like it but these threads were vastly different. It was mostly praise.
>>
>>48733197
People are forgetting that the album leaked like a month before fantano's review and there already numerous threads about it. In those threads before either fantano or p4k did a review on it there was mostly indifference and the majority opinion was that the album wasn't as good as midcity and overall pretty dissapointing. The majority of the love came after the fantano review
>>
>>48734041
I must of missed those. Either way, my point still stands even more so. This board is still way better then most others, but it could be much better if /mu/ didn't group think so hard based on reviewers.
>>
>>48726463
No as it hasn't been spammed enough.

The music was quite ewnjoyable though the lyrics were cringey.
>>
i love it, only Tonight prevents it from being liked. I love it though
>>
>>48734869
My main issue with the album is that it has some minor hiccups. Like tonight for example, we lose the cool introspective and commentate side of the lyrics. On that song and a few other places, it becomes exactly what he's talking about and no longer commentary. It's just like, what's the angle here? Who's fuckin tonight? Shit is embarrassing to listen to. Other than that though, I think the lyrics are very well done.
>>
>>48734933
oh yeah, i think the album is meant to be taken as an album when it comes to the flawed songs.
Of course you could make that excuse and say it was a look at how boring and stale nights in nightclubs are, kind of like how James Ferraro's Far Side Virtual was a look at boring consumerism.
i'm using that as an explanation for the song for now, then again, the band talked about how they loved mainstream popular rap so i'm not 100% on it.
Really though as an album it's wonderful and i'd give it and 8 or 9 as it's something i personally liked and will revisit in the future, i just think that /mu/ judges it on its flaws
The second half is where this album shines, where they take the look "bystander day in the life in the ghetto" thing and give and new, interesting twist on it which is what we need, that and Work Work is probably my single of the year
>>
>>48735218
Yeah. The one thing that kills me though is how the lyrics are flying over people's heads. I'm not saying you have to like the album, but it seems pretty fucking obvious that the album is commentary. A lot of the people who didn't like it think it's pedestrian music about how daveed is a drug dealer. I mean, he almost explicitly tells you the point of the album on ends. And he never says I or me, so it's kind if obvious there that he's acting as a conscious and not literally selling drugs in work work, get up, or die. Then summertime and inside out are critiques of the absurdity of violence.
>>
>>48735909
Yeah. Its an outside look in to the life of the streets and it's very obvious commentary as you can tell from the obvious exaggeration.
I don't think this is flying over peoples heads, i think people just aren't digging it like me and presumably you.
>>
>>48727775
B L A C K I E
Death Grips
>>
>>48736054
Yeah, I understand some peoples complaints about the album. I have actually heard a couple of my friends say the lyrics are dumb and they are surprised that I like it. And check out the p4k review. Again, not saying they have to like it, but they didn't even understand it enough to give a valuable opinion on it.

But yeah, I dig the album a lot. It makes me think of caricature drawings when I listen to it. It's so ridiculous and over the top, but at the same time, it's so close to being just a normal hh album. I like how they brought noise hop and more standard hh styles together.
>>
>>48736149

Death Grips isn't noise-hop, B L A C K I E is pretty boring compared to clipping.

Next
>>
>>48736185
>It makes me think of caricature drawings when I listen to it. It's so ridiculous and over the top, but at the same time, it's so close to being just a normal hh album
Couldn't agree more. Really looking forward to their next album, i hope it about as noisy as Midcity. Personally i think Midcity was better but only by a little, and i really think clipping has much more to offer
>>
>>48736370
Yeezus
>>
>>48736554
>
>>
>>48736554
Yeezus has good beats but kanye does a bad job as a mc, as a few anons explained earlier. I agree with them pretty much so need in repeating it.
>>48736530
Yeah, I prefer the more noisier beats of midcity, but I feel like clppng is more of where they want to be so I'm not mad at them for toning it down a little bit. I also think they did a better job organizing the layout of clppng. The more catchy and upbeat songs are at the front, with the tonight to or die sequence in the middle, followed by the more serious songs at the end. Midcity is good but it feels more like a collection of tracks than an album. There's rumor that they have been working on a lot of material since they've been together and they are supposedly releasing another album this year. I really need to get around to checking out each of the members background and solo works.
>>
>>48736743
All their side projects are different. I think one does noise music and one does ambient. Never heard of any of Daveed's stuff.
Also now you got me hype
>>
>>48736743
Yeah I read what people were talking about earlier, and honestly you guys are acting like clipping has some 2deep4u lyrics which honestly is not true. Even with the whole commentary and outsider view on life in the streets, that shit has been done to death in hip hop. Kanye at least is more original with his subject matter and has crazy energy on Yeezus. Not to mention the way he places the melodic parts on Yeezus is just amazing.
>>
>>48726621
>>48726606
I like how /mu/ slobbed Kanye's knob over Yeezus despite it's catatonic lyrical retardation, yet with this album it's an unforgivable crime

Fuck, on this record they at least flow well
>>
>>48726704
>ratking on the other hand is doing ok.
Ratking is fucking incredible and will prove to be massively influential on a new wave of new york hip hop
>>
>>48736908
For the guys who are not trolls, it's probably because Kanye's delivery and energy on Yeezus was crazy, while clipping generally sound very generic. Also one of the biggest things I liked about Yeezus was the dancehall/drill elements which clipping lacked
>>
>>48728290
CLPPNG is great, but So It Goes is fucking phenomenal.
>>
>>48736908
try to remember that /mu/ is full of scrawny 16 year old white boys who need mindless masculine music to help them vent out their beta frustrations.

Kanye is the idol of betamales.
>>
>>48736818
No, if you actually read what I said you would see that I was saying that clppng has very obvious lyrical content. It's not cryptic at all, it's very blunt. I was talking about p4k really. I've read some reviews on clipping, and I can understand why people don't like it. But I was referring to people who think that clipping is literally about selling drugs and other street life experiences like in the p4k review. Which is one of the only reviews I saw positive or negative that thought the lyrics were literal.

Anyways. I won't argue with you much on yeezus. All I will say is I loved the beats, but kanye's lyrics make it almost unlistenable for me. Kanye has always been a lack luster mc for me personally and he definitely didn't shake that off on Yeezus.
>>
>>48729618
We know that was their intention, but it was terrible nonetheless.
>>
>>48736958
Honestly I think Daveed is one of the most talented rappers I've heard in a while. His different flows and his ability to jump into double time and quadruple time over a beat is impressive. He has crazy breath control to, he does that shit live until he's read in the face and keeps it pretty clean as well. Say what you want, but it's hard to say he isn't talented at least on the technical side. Very few rappers can flow at that kind of speed.
>>
>>48737216
Well, fair enough. That's where opinion comes in.
The only thing I have about people not liking certain things I do is when they clearly don't understand it. Naturally we want to defend things we like. If you didn't like it still then that's cool. I'm just glad you gave it a chance without being dismissive.
>>
>>48737303
*red in the face, not read
>>
>>48737303
It seems to me that you don't listen to a lot of rap. Daveed isn't anything special when it comes to rap, and even most clipping fans I know acknowledge this and say that the noise is the best part of their music.
>>
>>48737139
>>48737303
These posts come off as one of those white boys who listens to purely aesop rock and atmosphere and shit
>>
>>48737303
him and Wiki are honestly two of the best MCs around right now

also, for all the hate Tonight gets, I think it's pretty good aside from Gangsta Boo's verse. It's like she didn't get the memo that it's supposed to be satirical
>>
>>48737303
>>48737615
Why are clipping fans so delusional?
Daveed is nowhere near one of the best mcs around right now.
>>
>>48737713
then name your top 5, nerd
>>
>>48737777
lil herb
lil bibby
young thug
cormega
freddie gibbs
>>
>>48737886
cop tech
>>
>>48737777
Dunno about top 5, but just off the top of my head ka, freddie gibbs, Ishmael Butler, earl, issa gold, AK, all of flatbush zombies, kendrick, z-ro, open mike eagle etc. are all better than daveed
>>
>>48736908
I think that the key difference between Yeezus and clipping. (and there are a shitload of differences just to make that clear) is the execution of their style. Kanye just had a bunch of trap/edm beats with an experimental tinge, the instrumentals were already doing most of the work so that he just needed the typical Kanye banter we've come to expect from him in order to carry the project lyrically. Whether that is for you are not, I am not the one to say. However, with clipping. they choose highly untraditional instrumentals and unorthodox creative decisions that really shine, but still feel the need to include the most tired hip-hop tropes that weigh down even the most classic rap albums and it is most definitely to a fault. Hearing "Twerk something girl" over the sonic massacre that is "Body and Blood" feels uncomfortable for all the wrong reasons. I feel like clipping. is still trying to find their own identity but are to preoccupied with trying to be "hip hop" to actually find it. Meanwhile, Kanye does Kanye over some high energy and experimentally tinged hip hop instrumentals and it receives a pass since the music has a definitive sense of identity, it knows what its doing and makes sure you do to.
>>
Deveed is a much better rapper than a lot of you people give him credit for. He clearly shows that rapping over odd time signatures in Story 2. His double, triple, and quadruple time flows are amazing. His flow isn't a problem it's his lyrics. They're sometimes a bit simple, but I think they're good enough.
>>
>>48739116
it's not only his lyrics
it's also his delivery

he is honestly kind of a boring rapper

and honestly i don't think his rapping style meshes that well with the production he was provided

overall the album basically seems like an album with a decent concept, it just lacks good execution
>>
>>48737519
Never listened to aesop rock or atmosphere.
>>
>>48737615
What? Gansta boo's verse fit perfectly. If you listen to all of the guest verses on the album, their actually very personal and connected. It's the opposite of what Daveed is doing.
>>
I really enjoy this album. I think it has a lot of really interesting ideas when it comes to filling out beats with percussion (Taking Off/Dominoes in particular have some really weird verse sections) and it has a nice mix of bangers (Body and Blood) and quiet tracks (Dream).

Also, I think it's cool that Daveed only raps from the first person.
>>
>>48737713
I didn't say the best, Jesus Christ read what I said. I said he is technically talented. So considering nothing else at all, the way he flows and the speed is impressive.
>>
>>48739873
>honestly kind of honestly basically
>>
>>48740156
you're ignoring some very valid points
>>
>>48740190
no you're exactly right, you just write like a teenager
>>
>>48726621
>>48726704
>>48726838
>>48734830
Please go to /r/music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
>>
>>48740219
i fault my peers
they all say honestly a lot
rubbed off on me

>tfw i'm a lot older than a teenager too
>>
>>48740307
It's hard to not say shit like honestly, basically, literally, like etc. when everyone around you has that dialect
>>
>>48739116
Kanye's energy suits noise on tracks like On sight way better than Daveed's boring delivery on most tracks. There are some exceptions like story but mostly he's lacklustre
>>
>>48740999
Kanye's lyrics are unbelievably mediocre. He's not the worst, but for how long he's been around his lyrics are boring. He comes off as one of those rappers who just picks rhyming words, with no attention to what his verse is actually saying.
>>
>>48741077
Are you only talking about Yeezus? Because he has good lyrics on his other albums. And the lyrics on Yeezus were far less boring than the ones on Clppng
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.