[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bands like Dream Theater, Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: Folder.jpg (6KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Folder.jpg
6KB, 200x200px
I love Prog music, wanting to get into some more bands like these guys, which are my top 3 bands.

I'm not a fan of Opeth because I dislike screaming lyrics personally.
>>
Not all of Opeth has harsh vocals. Go and check out Damnation by Opeth, no screamed lyrics at all and they're very similar to those 3 bands, PT particularly.
>>
Oh and I would also recommend Anathema, Weather Systems is a beautiful album as is A Natural Disaster.
>>
euphoric
>>
>>48467554
>Dream Theater, Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree
>in the same sentence
Get out.
>>
>>48467635
Why should he? They're both good bands, apart from recent Dream Theatre.
>>
>>48467554
Riverside are fucking amazing
After that check out Sock's Beard, Marillion, IQ and PAin of Salvation
>>
>>48467635
>Droning /mu/
>on the same board as me
Get out.

If your taste is so superior, you should be trying to help others reach your level of enlightenment rather than shitposting.
>>
>>48467630
>>48467635
Go jack off to your flavor of the month indie shit please
>>
>>48467594
Thanks! I did not know that.

>>48467649
Definitely. While their new album is nowhere near what they used to do, their older stuff are incredible. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is a masterpiece if you ask me.
>>
>>48467630
>>48467635
Can you please learn to ignore posts with bands you don't like? I fucking hate Dream Theater but I didn't post anything did I?
>>
>>48467554
>>48467649
>>48467697
Check out Haken, they're like recent Dream Theater except good
>>
>>48467554
Try Karnivool, which is essentially a heavier Porcupine Tree. Really great vocals too.
>>
>>48467738
They sound more like Australian Tool mixed with nu-metal
>>
>Bigelf
>Guthrie Govan
>King Crimson
>Liquid Tension Experiment
>Magical Power Mako
>>
For Dream Theater, you should check out Symphony X. They're often compared to each other, and I personally find Symphony X waaaay better than Dream Theater. Get The Odyssey and The Divine Wings of Tragedy. This might be a stretch, but, maybe you'll like Mastodon? Check out their album Blood Mountain. As for Pink Floyd, you should go a step further and check out some more complex prog. Check out Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, and Camel. For Yes, check out Close To The Edge. For Genesis, check out Selling England By The Pound. For King Crimson, check out Red. For Camel, check out Mirage. Hope I helped and I hope you enjoy. Good luck man, progs a fun genre, have fun with it!
>>
Maybe Gentle Giant, Yes and Cardiacs? They're a bit more fun than the bands you mentioned though.
>>
>>48467721
>euphoric
Yeah it makes no sense to me. I consider plenty of music talked about here to be shit. I am mature enough to know that people tend to be unique though and opinions, of course, differ.
>>
File: Steven Wilson TRTRTS.jpg (4KB, 151x150px) Image search: [Google]
Steven Wilson TRTRTS.jpg
4KB, 151x150px
>>48467554
This album is by Porcupine Tree's frontman, give it a listen. It's like the lovechild of all good 70's prog.
>>
>>48467635
lol

OP, check out Can, Popol Vuh, Faust, and Natural Snow Buildings.
>>
Lots of suggestions here thanks guys. Is there a way to save these threads before they get deleted? (I'm new here)

I will copy and paste for now I guess.

>>48467738
Interesting, will do.
>>48467765
Thanks for all the suggestions. Think I'll check out Symphony X first, you struck my curiosity.
>>
>>48467787
Oh yeah, love that album. Drive Home, The Watchmaker and The Raven That Refused to Sing are so good.
>>
>>48467956
Google 4chan mu archive newfag
>>
>>48467975
Ah nice. So is this a permalink now?

https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/48467554
>>
>>48467721
>>48467780
Ya'll are pretty cool niggas

>>48467731
Haken is great. The Mountain was cool, but I don't get the hate for "recent Dream Theater". Their most recent was actually quite good. Now Black Clouds and Silver Linings. That's a fucking disappointment.
>>
see prog rock and other shitty wankery
>>
Amon Düül II
Ash Ra Tempel
The Mars Volta
>>
>>48468074
Yeah I love Haken too. Visions is a great song. Seeing them live in October in Liverpool.

I liked the first two tracks of the new album, thought the rest was somewhat disappointing. Count of Tuscany is great from that album though.
>>
>>48468238
From the new album I think Behind the Veil, The Bigger Picture, and Illumination Theory were pretty good. On Black Clouds, yeah Count of Tuscany is definitely the best song and it's actual pretty good, but the album as a whole was pretty disappointing
>>
File: Crimson_King_2.jpg (545KB, 1468x1468px) Image search: [Google]
Crimson_King_2.jpg
545KB, 1468x1468px
>>48467554
Try Crimson King.

Pic realted.
>>
>>48467554
Try Pure Reason Revolution's The Dark Third. It's basically Porcupine Tree but poppier and with more vocal hooks and shit.
>>
>>48467775
Cardiacs is more fun than anything in the world tbh.
>>
>>48467594
Yeah, really liking Damnation, great sound.
>>
File: Lantlôs - Melting Sun.jpg (34KB, 403x406px) Image search: [Google]
Lantlôs - Melting Sun.jpg
34KB, 403x406px
I've got your backs, motherfuckers – all this shit right here is god tier quality. Guaranteed.

Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever
Yes - Close to the Edge
Spock's Beard - The Light
Neal Morse - Sola Scriptura
Änglagård - Hybris
Týr - Eric the Red
Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite
Riverside - Out of Myself
Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness
Gazpacho - Demon
Chroma Key - Dead Air for Radios
Devil Doll - The Girl Who Was... Death
OSI - Fire Make Thunder
Camel - Mirage
>>
File: url.jpg (49KB, 500x493px) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
49KB, 500x493px
>>48468919
Oh, and Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale.

It might look a bit like shoddy trüë nörwëgïän bläck mëtäl, but it has no harsh vocals.
>>
>>48469014
Looking forward to trying out all these suggestions. A friend of mine told me that Transatlantics lyrics are a bit too heavy with religion. What do you say?
>>
>>48469078
Not that guy, but it's not over the top with religious themes like in a lot of Neal Morse's solo albums. You can definitely interpret some of Transatlantic's stuff that way, but I think it's broad enough that you don't have to. The music's great anyways (especially Bridge Across Forever), so who cares anyways?
>>
>>48469078
>A friend of mine told me that Transatlantics lyrics are a bit too heavy with religion. What do you say?

I don't know what "too heavy with relgion" means exactly, but Neal Morse is a blatantly obvious religious born-again Christian. He left Spock's Beard after "finding God" when his daughter overcame cancer (iirc), and his Sola Scriptura album is actually a concept album dealing with Martin Luther developing protestantism. So yeah, spiritualism and faith are kind of his thing.

However, unless you're a militant atheist or something and genuinely allergic to that – I'm pretty sure you can get by it and enjoy the songwriting. He's a fantastic keyboardist.
>>
>>48469162
Nice, I'll check it out, thanks.
>>
>>48467686
lmfao

were you mocked by a hipster for being an autistic metal fan or something
>>
>>48467554
Circus Maximus
>>
>>48469223
I have no idea what went down in that exchange really.
>>
I fucking love that album man...
>>
>>48467678
>>48467721

wow, maybe there ARE some good people on /mu/
>>
>>48471713
most of them are good, they just don't put up with pleb shit, like this
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.