[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My Little Progress : Technology Isn't Magic - Thread 39

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 474
Thread images: 98

Twilight: I can't really believe your story Anon, buildings with over 100 levels? Flying boats bigger than Ponyville? And yet there's no magic in your world? Please.
>Growing tired of Twilight's berating, you go out into the world to prove her wrong.

That's the prompt that started it all. So what is thread about? It's about Anon bringing human science and inventions to Equestria and a disbelieving Twilight. Although, that's not necessarily the prompt you need to follow if writing is what you desire.

Thread Story List.
http://pastebin.com/XKLNjAAx

Previous Thread: >>29198630
>>
First for science rules magic drools
>>
>>29365011
dito
>>
>>29349348
Reminder LP may soon return to these threads
>>
File: 1460824964464.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1460824964464.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>29364451
What hell is this thread? why are you guys trying to argue against magic or even explain it?

Are you out of your mind, it's a little girl's show where magic exists. there is no point.

Aren't you tired of arguing with Theists about god? why do you have to go here to keep arguing about stuff.
>>
>>29366076
You're mistaken. This thread is about not about actual argueing but about stories involving technology meeting and affecting equestria.
>>
>>29366127
I don't believe you, show me proof show me the green.
>>
File: IMG_1045.png (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_1045.png
1B, 486x500px
>>29366140
>it's literally in the OP
>>
>>29366293
die phone fucker.
>>
>>29366297
>>
Rampant semi-strong AI in Equestria when?
>>
>>29366653
I could personally go for some Glados in equestria
>>
EVE capsuleer in Equestria when?
>capsuleer is exploring wormholes in his top of the line cruiser
>one weird wormhole tosses him a few AUs from Equestria
>wormhole collapses leaving the capsuleer stranded
>>
File: IMG_0792.png (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_0792.png
1B, 486x500px
>>29366297
no u
>>
>>29366001
hopefully that wasn't just some anon who was doing that for a laugh
>>
File: 258.png (1B, 486x500px)
258.png
1B, 486x500px
>>
>>29368641
???
>>
File: Sunset Airlines.png (1B, 486x500px)
Sunset Airlines.png
1B, 486x500px
>>29368641
>french poner green is ded
this kills the anon
>>
File: IMG_0717.png (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_0717.png
1B, 486x500px
>tfw you've been busy and tired this past week so you have to post your update here later in the week
I'm only at 1.7k words this update, and I'm having a tough time filling it with juicy writing. Still, I'll get it done ASAP
>>
File: 1475439168776.png (1B, 486x500px)
1475439168776.png
1B, 486x500px
>>29368641
For what purpose?
>>
>>29370139
Ash was best poner.
>>
File: fc42e70594.png (1B, 486x500px)
fc42e70594.png
1B, 486x500px
>>29370139
>>29370477
soon
>>
>>29370139
you feel it too?
>>
>>29370477
Sadist pone has none of dat booty.
Besides, she's now an ugly abomination sustained purely by magic, as well as a magnet for incessant baneposting.
>>29371183
We all feel it.
>>
>>29370598
wait.. yoohoo is that you? are you really returning?
>>
We better bump for green
>>
Should we consider updating the OP text? Many of this thread's greens don't use that prompt.
>>
>>29373767
Hence why the anon who made it updated the description?
>>
>>29272288
just throwing the idea out there again
>>
>>29370141
Everytime I see that pic I momentarily think at first that it's Mrs. Puff from spongebob
>>
>>29374055
i'd love to see that
>>
File: This.png (1B, 486x500px)
This.png
1B, 486x500px
>>29374055
>>
>29343243
just had the time to read this update
i like your story.
>>
>>29375366
Little piece of advice it's 2 >> to link a post

>>29343243
>>
>>29372793
>>
I want to read comedy technology.
>>
>>29377830
>>
>>29378879
might want to check some of the early threads in the pastebins. I think I remember a few comedy stories there that didn't get pastebins.
>>
File: 1455127951510.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1455127951510.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>29364451
why would you use a pic of a pop pseudoscientist for a technology thread?
>>
>>29379960

Wanna know how I can tell you've never read a scientific paper in your life?
>>
>>29380214
feel free to enlighten me
>>
>>29367272
That would be nice
>>
>>29381091
>>
>>29380545
Not him, but yeah. You're retarded. Steven Hawking was the one who was mathematically able to prove the theoretical nature of black holes, on top of discovering a type of radiation named after him, along with other achievements in physics.
>>
>>29381970
>mathematically able to prove the theoretical nature of black holes
lmao and people like you claim they know anything at all about science

>theoretical
>mathematically prove
exactly. he's not even a scientist
>>
>>29382347
Theoretical work is still hugely important in science. Einstein was awarded the Nobel Prize for explaining the photoelectric effect, previously an experimental result lacking a theoretical formulation. Just because you are capable of repeating something doesn't mean shit unless you can can explain what is actually happening.
>>
>>29382536
you clearly misunderstand my point. einstein got a nobel prize for it because he created a mathematical model for the observed effect, not because he wrote math fanfiction

there isnt even conclusive experimental evidence for the existence of black holes. Im not trying to say that they dont exist but explain how worthless mathematical guessing about black holes is
>>
>>29382567
>theoretical
>mathematically prove
exactly. he's not even a scientist

Can you see how that might cause confusion about what you're arguing about. In your post it sounds like you're arguing against all theoretical work by saying it's not real science.

Anyway about the validity of studying the theoretical properties black holes. Black holes are important to study because based on what we know about physics it says they should exist and how they should behave. They exist at such an extreme end of the spectrum that understanding how they work or if they even exist would have huge ripples in our understanding of reality. However we also need to know where and how to look in order to find out the truth of the matter. That's why theoretical work such as Stephen Hawking's is so important. It can help guide our efforts on what to look for. If something we observed about black holes does not match what our theoretical work says than that is also important because it allows us to know our assumptions about reality are wrong and can provide new insights about reality.
>>
can we go back to enlightening cute little ponies?
>>
>>29382867
Don't bother, he doesn't seem to realize that applied physics come from theoretical work first.
>>
>>29382927
you clearly don't understand the scientific method. it follows the basic principle of observation > approximation through mathematical models, NOT the fictive modelling of the unobserved

>>29382867
as the string theory was slowly rotting towards irrelevance its supporters demanded that mathematical "beauty" shall suffice as scientific evidence

this is an extreme attack on science's very foundation and ever since I strongly oppose theoretical physics and remind people that it is not science

but I will admit that I am poorly educated in physics so I lack the competence to properly judge Hawking's contributions except that I know they are of neither scientific nor technological nature

anyway, thanks for your post
>>
>>29382926
I would very much like that but it would seem the writefags are busy
>>
File: 3.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
3.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>29366001
>>29383109
>>
>>29382567
>there isnt even conclusive experimental evidence for the existence of black holes
Don't you know we have directly measured black holes before.
>>
>>29384110
From what little I understand it's a bit more complicated than that. Basically we have measured things that could be black holes, but it's possible for them to not be.
>>
>>29384576
Possible, but also extremely unlikely.

Especially the gravitational wave measurements.
>>
>>29382964
You just agreed earlier about Einstein modelling the photoelectric effect after it was observed in order to explain it. What do you think that is if not theoretical physics? General relativity and special relativity haven't been proven, do you discount his work in those? Einstein was not a scientist. He was a theoretical physicist.
>>
Hey
Hey /sci/

EMdrive
>>
>>29385045
more like mEMe drive lmao
>>
File: 1470425485339.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1470425485339.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>29370139
French mare was a qt.
>>
>>29385110
adorable
>>
>>29385045
Hey
Hey /diy/

Storage Containers
>>
File: 1463605409710.gif (1B, 486x500px)
1463605409710.gif
1B, 486x500px
>>
>>29386689
I feel like this is some sort of inside joke I'm not getting
>>
File: Get_a_load.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
Get_a_load.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>29379960
>Has 100 plus publicans
>Several books
>Has actually had sex despite looking like a deflated punch dummy.

Vs

>Kissless virgin on mlp reading fanfiction about horses.

AHAHAHAHAH
>>
>>29384598
Oh shit, general relativity was proven? When was this?
>>
>>29385045
After taking a quick look on wikipedia that's some weird science-fictionesque looking shit
>>
Why don't we switch over to something more on-topic. Chapter 7, hastily delivered.

>Sometimes, the hardest thing to do is to say "Hello."
>-Charlie Andrie, The Triumvirate
-Applejack-
>"This sure ain't where I'd want to spend my evening."
>Although it was still sunny in the forest, the afternoon sun was quickly falling below the horizon and would disappear in a matter of hours. Applejack knew that they would have to stop soon; if they didn't, they wouldn't have enough daylight to set up camp. Plus, this part of the forest was quite dense with foliage and underbrush. They would have to sleep on the branches, since the forest floor would be filled with creepy crawlies and dangerous wildlife. Setting up their cloth sleeping bags would take a lot of time - time that they wouldn't have if the sky went dark.
>"Uh...Twi?"
>"What is it, Applejack?"
>"I think we should stop for the night. It'll get real dark soon, and we don't wanna run outta daylight."
>"Good idea. I think I've had enough walking for a day. Let's set up camp."
>The three ponies stopped in the middle of a ring of oak trees, their coffee-brown bark standing in contrast to their orange and red autumn foliage. The leaves that carpeted the ground were the same shade as the ones on the trees, and they crunched as Rainbow Dash took off with a rope between her teeth. Soon, with the help of Applejack's lasso-tossing skill and Twilight's magic, three sturdy rope hammocks were strung up across the branches of three different oaks. A few more minutes and their packs were hung from the trees, safe from the creatures that prowled the forest floor at night.
>>
>>29388306
http://www.ligo.org/ Ligo detected gravity waves just last year
>>
>>29389145
>Applejack took a look around her surroundings as she climbed up her tree. Having hooves made the task quite difficult, but her earth pony strength allowed her to tightly grip onto the branches and pull herself up to her bedroll. As she ascended, the leaves gave way to the blue and orange sky. The setting sun over the orange and yellow forest canopy made for a breathtaking image, and Applejack paused for a moment to take in the scenery before settling down in her bed.
>As she pulled up her bag to get some food, she noticed Rainbow Dash and Twilight pulling out books from theirs. Rainbow Dash, unlike Twilight with her magic, couldn't just make light, so she pulled out a tiny metal lantern from her bag as well. She held it with her wing as she grabbed a flint and lighted it. Dash strung the miniature lamp above her head just as the last red sliver of Celestia's sun slipped beneath the horizon, taking its life-giving light with it.
>Applejack, however, didn't have a book with her. She was a simple pony, and though she could read and write decently well her interests were elsewhere. Earth ponies were born to care for the land, and literacy was rarely a concern for an apple farmer such as Applejack. Besides, it was always important to get enough rest for the next day. Pegasi and unicorns always seemed to be out of time with nature, and they didn't seem to have the same connection to the world that earth ponies did. Applejack, on the other hand, knew that sleep was always a well-appreciated commodity, whether on the farm or away from home. After she swallowed the last clump of Pinkie's food and took a sip from her canteen, she simply turned away from the other two ponies and closed her eyes. The wild cadence of crickets and owls quickly put her to sleep.
>With Celestia's warm sun gone, the bright, white crescent of Luna's moon soon took over the sky...
>>
>>29389156
-Luna-
>It had been a long time since Luna had felt fear in the dreamscape. When she had been banished to the moon so many centuries ago, she had still been able to visit her dear ponies in their dreams. Her separation from Equestria, though, had prevented from going any deeper into the dreamscape, where the real night terrors resided. Even when she had returned several years ago, she hadn't faced anything that would have truly had her shaking at her knees. Now, however, she was staring into an enigma. These beings might be harmless, or they might have hostile intentions. They could be laughably weak, or devastatingly powerful. If she wasn't careful, there was the possibility of serious consequences. She couldn't just ignore it, however; from what she had seen, not acting could have just as disastrous results. She was worried - so much, in fact, that she had had some difficulty in slipping into the right mindset for dreamwalking.
>Many ponies would have entered the military mind first had they been in Luna's position. Luna, however, knew that repeated excursions into the same mind would cause her to become more noticeable - the exact opposite of what she wanted. The blue light was the ideal choice that night for one reason: it was the least explored. Whatever was in it might be immensely important or of trivial significance; it was still the best choice for Luna. With the same gentle slip she had learned to employ over the past few days, she dived into the mind.
>>
>>29389166
>The same blank space that she had encountered in the past two consciousnesses came into her view, and Luna looked around for something to examine. She quickly spotted the shelf behind her, its wooden panels holding all manner of planks and tools, and stepped closer to examine the legs and the shelves. The wood was quite straight and well cut, though its unvarnished exterior and lack of carvings meant that it wasn't built for appearances. Nicks and cuts were evident everywhere, and paint marks occasionally dotted the wood.
>The top three shelves were occupied by planks and some sort of white tubing, whereas the bottom two held an assortment of tools. Some, like the nails and wrenches, were quite familiar. Others, however, were more obtuse, such as a rather heavy tool that seemed to be a drill and a hammer with a claw on the back of the head. On top of all that, the tools were clearly of advanced manufacture. The nails were as straight as a line, and it would take the finest blacksmiths in Equestria to produce screwdrivers of such high quality.
>As she passed her eyes over the tools, she couldn't help but notice a small wooden ruler with a crayon scribble decorating its length. "Property of Andrew", it proudly announced in a crude, child-like scrawl. Although it was a lot of information to take in, Luna only continued to survey the shelves and push the questions further back in her mind. She could think about what she had seen later; for now, her priority was looking for objects to examine.
>>
>>29389172
>Though she could gloss over them for days, Luna soon ran out of things to look at. The pipes were smooth and strong yet flexible and light, and the planks were well cut but otherwise uninteresting. Even the tools, once she had committed them to memory, were nothing to fawn over. There was not much reason to stay, and Luna prepared to leap out of the dream and back to her office. She would have much time to think about her observations.
>Something caught her attention, though. In the corner of her eye, she saw a black mass ominously floating just outside of her vision. Luna turned toward it - and found a squat, grotesque figure hunched over a bloody, mutilated corpse. The monster was completely pitch black, with tentacles and insectoid limbs spurting out from its body at oblique, unnatural angles and glowing white eyes randomly scattered across its amorphous body. It snacked on the body with a series of demonic, malformed teeth as Luna stood in pure shock and terror.
>Then the monster noticed Luna and turned its eyes towards her.
>>
>>29389177
>Although it was about thirty meters away, the creature quickly scuttled towards Luna at a frightening pace. With each uneven step, the monster dripped a black, frothy goo on the floor. Luna, though she had once fought greater dreamdemons, was shocked by the sudden appearance of such a ghastly creature. Never before had she encountered a creature like that in all her years, and Luna didn't know how dangerous it could be. She backed away from the approaching creature, slowly withdrawing before turning around and galloping at full tilt. Wasting no time, she quickly opened a gateway back into reality and leaped through, immediately closing it once she was through.
>Luna woke up sprawled on the ground, her head pounding like a hammer and anvil. The high ceiling was blurry and hard to make out, and her headache didn't make it any easier to gain focus. She felt ill and queasy, and Luna only barely managed to keep from vomiting all over her beautiful rug. Abruptly leaving a dreamscape without easing oneself through the magical field takes a harsh toll on the body, but Luna was no mere pony. Whereas the average unicorn would have been in a coma, alicorns could get away with just a bit of discomfort.
>Still, Luna couldn't help but cough and sputter as she lay spread-eagle on the floor, and thirty minutes passed before she could gather enough strength to stand.
>>
>>29389183

-Noah-

>Noah twiddled a pencil around in his fingers as he sat on the aluminum folding chair, his gaze staring somewhere past the plywood walls of the house. Crickets droned on through the night, a mind-numbing backdrop that dominated the forest's soundscape and ground against his ears. The late night moon cast a dim glow onto the rotting remains of the mutilated hydra just outside of the house, highlighting the poor choices that the group had made just a few hours ago. Without anything to distract him, Noah couldn't help but stew in his regret as the night pushed on. He was supposed to be keeping watch - they had started to sleep in shifts so as to always be ready for threats - but the boredom of the night had left him with no choice but to wallow in self-pity and misery.
>In retrospect, nuking the dead monster was a bad idea. Noah had known about the people who had tried to blow up whales before - it just hadn't occured to him that something similar would happen. Even though they had gotten off scot-free, the potential damage they could have caused wasn't a laughing matter. What was worse, they had expanded some of their precious materials. Sure, high-explosives weren't exactly in high demand as of now, but they couldn't just needlessly use it. Lord knew when they would return...if they would return to Earth.
>Every nagging detail, every overlooked mistake and consequence swam around in Noah's mind, aggregating into an enormous mass of worry. What - or who - had heard the explosion? How much longer would they have to survive here? How would they handle a much more serious disaster?
>>
>>29389188
>"Are you alright, Noah?"
>Leah had gotten up from her desk and walked over to Noah, the concern in her eyes evident even in the dim lighting. Her laptop was brightly glowing on her table, its screen too far away to discern any details. Without any warning, Leah wrapped her arms around Noah and gave him a big bear hug.
>"Yeah, I'm fine, thanks. Don't worry yourself over me."
>"I'm not going to stop until you tell me what's wrong, you big doofus."
>Leah could be a bit childish at times, but Noah appreciated her ability to maintain an upbeat attitude all the time. It was one of the things that kept him going throughout this entire mess.
>"Well," he sighed, "I can't help but think about the mess we've gotten ourselves into. I mean, we haven't been making the smartest decisions since we've arrived. Andrew and I should have spent more time thinking about our plan before we blew up the dragon thing and almost destroyed our house. Seriously, someone could have been injured, or killed..."
>"You're the one who needs to stop worrying. We might have made some mistakes, but we can't change them now that they're all in the past. Just suck it up and be more prepared in the future. I can't believe I'm telling you this," Leah huffed. "You're a grown-ass man!"
>>
>>29389197
>"I understand. Thanks, for-"
>The two turned towards the sudden shuffling that came from somewhere in the other room. They were startled by the sudden movement, but not scared. Leah casually walked through the doorway and into the other room to check on Andrew as Noah sat and listened.
>"...Ugh, that was a freaking scary dream."
>"You awake? Tell me about it."
>"Alright...you know that movie? The, the one with the freaky spider monster," Andrew stuttered out.
>"Crawler?"
>"Yeah. That one. I was in my old middle school, and that thing was chasing me through the hallways. I tried to run, but I was slowing down, and..."
>"And what?" Leah sat down on the floor, intrigued by his recollection of the dream.
>"I don't know. I mean, I saw what happened, but it didn't make sense. All of a sudden there was this white room, and I was the crawler. There was a dark figure in the room...I couldn't make it out. But she was next to my childhood tool rack, and that made me mad for some reason."
>>
>>29389202
>"Wait, she?"
>"Yeah. For some reason, I knew it was a she. I remember that really well, maybe a bit too well for a dream. Anyways, I was mad, so I chased her down. She ran away and disappeared, and then I was sad..."
>"Then?"
>"Then I woke up. Weird, huh?"
>"Yeah, for sure. Maybe it's because of all the weird stuff that's been happening recently."
>Leah nodded. "Want to get up now, since you're awake and all?"
>"Why not. I think Noah could use some sleep after all he's gone through." Days on the alien planet were surprisingly uniform with those of Earth, and the humans managed to effectively sleep in shifts without any ill effects. Each day was an hour longer than back home, but it wasn't hard to adjust. Noah slept from the equivalent of 4 in the morning to noon, Leah from then to 8 in the evening, and Andrew from 8 to 4 through the night.
>"What are we doing today?" Andrew asked.
>"Moving more dead beast," Leah replied as Andrew pulled himself off the plywood floor, throwing his space blanket off of his body.
>"Fun."

Well, things have been hectic so I've had to cut this one short. Not one of my better chapters either, since I've had a lot of stuff on my plate. Still, I hope you guys are okay with where I'm taking this. Let me know what you guys think.
>>
>>29389172
>such as a rather heavy tool that seemed to be a drill and a hammer with a claw on the back of the head.
Ok are you describing one tool or two? The wording/grammar a bit weird
>>
>>29389148
That's heckin cool.
>>
>>29387740
90% of threas on /diy/ are:

>How do I maek shipping container house
>How do I maek tiny home
>How do I maek underground bunker
etc.

See: >>>/diy/1124148

>>29388306
LIGO detected the merger of 2 black holes that, for a moment, released more than 50 times the power of all the stars in the observable universe combined
>>
>>29389709
I mean I guess shipping containers are versatile, but it feels like something that should be incredibly niche due to the costs involved
>>
>>29390566
Pretty much. It's mostly people who can't understand WHY you can't bury your shipping container and turn it into a fallout bunker. Or use it to store 1/3 of a ton of imitation crab meat.
>>
>>29391060
sounds like people with more time than sense
>>
page 9
>>
>>29392487
>>
>>29389220
I enjoyed it, but there was something about AJ that rubbed me the wrong way
>>
File: 112.png (1B, 486x500px)
112.png
1B, 486x500px
Writefag_,
I love you and your masterpiece, keep working on it.
If you're ever to get cancer, ill try to ship atleast a thousand eurobucks man.
You are the best, i love your story and P L E A S E give us moar.
>>
>>29394176
boop
>>
File: sweat.gif (1B, 486x500px)
sweat.gif
1B, 486x500px
>>29394205
>>
File: IMG_1179.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_1179.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Question from last thread: How would you design a rifle for ponies to use?
>>
File: timmy gun.webm (1B, 486x500px)
timmy gun.webm
1B, 486x500px
>>29396128
well first of all: smaller than for a human
>>
Been away for awhile. Looking through the thread, LP is well and truly dead and the promising Airship story is now also dead?

Why must you hurt me so?
>>
File: mating call.png (1B, 486x500px)
mating call.png
1B, 486x500px
>>29396333
>filename
>>
>>29397027
here are the rest
>>
File: large.png (1B, 486x500px)
large.png
1B, 486x500px
>>29397014
>>29366001

I hope to have something ready for tomorrow. I've had lots of IRL issues that kept me away from writing. I don't even remember where I left off. I look forward to entertain my readers (if there are any left) with more awkward bookhorse shenanigans.
>>
File: LP Happening.png (1B, 486x500px)
LP Happening.png
1B, 486x500px
>>29397346
>>
Don't worry. I'm coming back soon enough. It won't be too soon. Maybe not even within this month. But expect more french poners
>>
>>29398695
Friendly reminder Ash is best poner.
>>
slaany
>>
>>29399999
>>
>>29400038
LIES!
>>
File: good day.gif (1B, 486x500px)
good day.gif
1B, 486x500px
>>29398695
>>29397346
>>
>>29364451
>>Growing tired of Twilight's berating, you go out into the world to prove her wrong.

Growing tired of Twilight's berating, you beat the shit out of her with a lead pipe.
>>
>>29400038
That reminds me didn't PeteQ say he would return early 2017 to continue his RD science story?
>>
File: 1485655822590.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1485655822590.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>29397837
Thanks for that picture Anon! Made my day.
>>
File: large.gif (1B, 486x500px)
large.gif
1B, 486x500px
Previously on Rise of Nova Rohan: http://pastebin.com/JQrFNRxF

>Ring Type comes out from a door.
>”Welcome to the Flange Sister’s humble shop, what do you…”
>As soon as she notices you her face goes bright.
>”Princess Twilight! Is it really you?” She says with an incredulous tone of voice.
“Yes! Good to see you Ring Type.”
>”It’s been so long! One year afterwards, are you here to celebrate our Independence Day?”
“Your what now?”
>”The next week we will celebrate our first annual independence day! Anon and Moondancer are preparing the event already. Glory to Nova Rohan!” She happily says as she waves the flag of the country.
>It’s a red, white and black flag.
>You don’t like it.
>Ring Type giggles.
>”Don’t you remember? Almost one year ago, you and the princesses signed a document that recognized us as an official country. We’ve been busy with the newcomers. But plenty decided to stay! It’s unbelievable how Anon could make another country based on his previous civilization. That sure brought lots of visitors here!”
“Really? You mean there are things in Nova Rohan that don’t exist in Equestria?”
>Ring Type nods.
>”He’s quite the visionary. Huh? Fast food that you can order at a speaker while using a what he calls a ‘drive thru’ instead of waiting? Genius!”
>Interesting…
>”Anon is more like an idea guy and most of the time we don’t understand what he’s trying to say. There’s this project we’re working on, remember the telephone project?”
“Huh?”
>”It works like this,” Ring Type grabs a pair of cans with a string tied between them, “Hold this can near your ear Princess…”
>You do as told, and once Ring Type walks away a few ‘hooves’ away from you she holds the can and starts speaking into it.
>[“TESTING”]
“Whoa!?! What was that!?”
>[“Can you hear me?”]
“Y-yes I can!”
>[“Try talking to me using the can genius…”]
>>
>>29402616

“Uh, hello?”
>[“EEE! I can hear you as well Princess! This thing is a project we’ve been trying to figure out…I wish Anon wasn’t as busy as he always is to help us.”]
>She grabs the cans and puts them behind the counter.
“Really now…well that’s exactly why I’m here for. To learn more about Anon, has he been doing a good job?”
>https://youtu.be/CgwsV_K_Io4
>”Um, what do you mean?”
“Anon is the head of state isn’t he?”
>”Yes?”
“Has he, you know…used his power in a way most of his citizens find unpleasant?”
>”Mmm…there was this time he forced all ponies, diamond dogs and griffons who wouldn’t look for a job at the Ministry of Labor to join the military.”
>Your eyes go wide.
“H-he forced them?”
>”Yeah…but it turned out okay. The soldiers enjoy defending their country. A couple of stallions even earned their cutie marks after slaying beasts all day.”
“That’s’…quite disturbing, tell me more about these policies.”
>”Alright then Princess. He also ordered a literacy program. Well, it was mostly Moondancer’s idea after learning most diamond dogs don’t even know how to read and write. Laika was down with the idea and volunteered to become a teacher.”
“Hmm…well, I’ll give him that for being so thoughtful.”
>”Yeah…Moondancer was happy when he authorized that edict after he kind of messed up relations with Yakyakistan delegates.”
“HE DID WHAT?!”
>>
File: HMG.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
HMG.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>29402642

>”He did his best I swear! But the Yaks would just get angry over every little detail, they considered everything Anon did to them as an insult…then they declared war on us.”
>You gasp.
“What did Anon do?”
>”Anon got angry and told them to uh- kill themselves. Then he ordered his guards to kick them out.”
“GAH! ANON! YOU ABSOLUTE MADMAN!”
>”It’s okay Princess. They haven’t bothered us once again, I wonder why…perhaps they didn’t want to be at war with us after hearing how the soldiers take care of the monsters. Believe me, Anon ordered us to make more weapons.”
>Ring Type points her hooves at some boxes with the letters H, S, F, G.
“Weapons that fit in that tiny box?”
>Ring Type grabs the box that says H with her teeth. And it looks quite heavy.
>”This is a Heavy Machine Gun. Anon ordered to make five hundred of these just in case. This is the prototype…Socket Weld made it herself.”
“Sheesh. What’s inside the others?”
>”A shotgun, a flamethrower and a grenade launcher. Anon’s world must’ve been extremely violent. But we’re glad our soldiers haven’t killed their own people or any other sentient species. As for the monsters they can either crawl back into their holes or die.”
“Well, I don’t want to know more about this gruesome stuff. But I’ll let it slide since I know myself how dangerous the monsters in this valley are.”
>Ring Type shrugs.
“Anything else?”
>”Oh yes, he’s allowing Saddle Arabians to stay in the country. Apparently, there’s something big going on over there. No one knows a thing about the queen or king of Saddle Arabia; since they are getting attacked by a group that is getting stronger every day and wants to enforce their outdated policies on the world.”
“Really?”
>”Yes, although Anon didn’t want to do it first he finally said yes after learning how awful things were according to the mares Laika rescued. Each month Insaf and Katya go in missions to rescue at least twenty mares, their husbands and their offspring from those savages.”
"Oh."
>>
File: RT.png (1B, 486x500px)
RT.png
1B, 486x500px
>>29402660

>Ring Type shrugs.
“Anything else?”
>”Oh yes, he’s allowing Saddle Arabians to stay in the country. Apparently, there’s something big going on over there. No one knows a thing about the queen or king of Saddle Arabia; since they are getting attacked by a group that is getting stronger every day and wants to enforce their outdated policies on the world.”
“Really?”
>”Yes, although Anon didn’t want to do it first he finally said yes after learning how awful things were according to the mares Laika rescued. Each month Insaf and Katya go in missions to rescue at least twenty mares and their offspring from those savages.”
“And what about the stallions?”
>Ring Type scowls.
>”What do stallions see in those mares? They might be taller and…prettier, but they speak a funny language and don’t work as hard as we do!”
>You let out an awkward chuckle.
“Anyways Ring Type. What do you think of Anon overall?”
>”Well, he’s quite a good guy. All the stories he talks about the last presidents his country had before you ehh…’abducted him’ makes him, in my eyes, the best ruler I’ve ever seen. I bet his former country would’ve been a true utopia if he had been its president. So I’d give him a 9 outta 10.”
“Come on now, he can’t be better than Princess Celestia.”
>She shrugs.
>”Eh. I love to think of Anon as my closest friend rather than someone I should bow to. Plenty of ponies think of him as if he was his best friend and someone they can rely on.”
>You sigh.
“Alright then, if you don’t mind I’ll keep asking questions. I need to know if Anon is capable of taking care of such responsibilities like diplomacy. Although he failed his first test.”
>”Err…goodbye Princess. I hope you stay for the celebration next week.”
>She doesn’t know about Moondancer and Anon’s wedding?
>Weird.
>You exit the store and fly somewhere else.
>>
File: 1470011209061.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1470011209061.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>29402616
>"Ooh, a story i haven't read yet"
>open paste
>it's another "author has no idea how humans interact with each other" episode
>close tab
>>
>>29397346

That's a pudgy pony.

10/10 would squeeze.
>>
>>29402886

>New story

Nigga what?
>>
>>29402942
>"Ooh, a story i haven't read yet"
>>
>>29402957

My bad. But seriously, you've never read the story that got this thread started?
>>
>>29402886
>author has no idea how humans interact with each other
I've heard this way too many times. Seems like a complaint everyone uses, no matter what story it is, and yet they never explain why they say it.
>>
>>29403136
nope
when i first popped in here, i didn't bother reading through any of the inactive bins because i knew they probably won't be updated
>>29403162
i didn't read much beyond the first paragraph or so of the bin, but that whole exchange was just really exaggerated and forced and honestly painful to read
>>
>>29403187
such is an opening that begins with an argument. Sadly, without something else to go on, it can feel a bit empty. Especially without knowing Anon's character, it does look forced.

I never had an issue with something like that, so maybe that's why it didn't bother me.
>>
Hello TimM

My name is Idea Anon. I can't write too well. I do have many ideas though. I thought I could share them here with you all.

I will start with one idea and a prompt with a bit of world building to get you started. You in this case being any anon that would like to take the idea and write a story with it.

Let's start with something simple.

>Anon is the first human to appear in Equestria. However there is no Equestria yet. He has appeared before the tribes united. He is found by a group of minotuars.
>While living with this group he discovered they have no knowledge of pottery.
>Anon invents Pottery and teaches the minotuars.

The world itself will focus mainly on Anon and the minotuar group. The environment is up to you. Assume that minotuars are the most advanced species, living inside caves and making stone tools. Anon solves a crisis that can be fixed with pottery.

Anon the Pottery Master is born in the legends of the Minotuars.

-Idea Anon
>>
>>29403554
See, I wouldn't mind something like that or similar instead of "Anon can make anything and everything known to man, and build cities in practically no time."
>>
>>29403566
The ideas that I have involve Anon "inventing" one advanced technology. Each prompt is a separate story in the same universe. After pottery comes mining, after mining comes, animal husbandry, after animal husbandry comes farming. Though each of these are the fundementals of civilizations, the anon you write about only has advanced and in depth k owl edge of one "Advanced Technology"

Our Anons come from a civilization where specialization is key. That's why an NFL linebacker may not know anything about blacksmithing.
>>
>>29403590
So after Anon Pottery Master lives and dies in Equestria a new Anon comes along with another technology. When that anon dies another anon comes along with another technology.
>>
>>29403554
I think I should mention this before anyone writes to clarify things.

>Assume your Anon speaks the same language as the minotuars. Example: Minotuars speak Romanian, therefore Anon is from Romania. It's a convenience. Keep the writing for the story in english.
>Assume all other species don't live in caves, don't use spears, have no control over fire, etc
>Bows are not a thing that anyone has (Yet)
>Cooking meat is an alien concept to be "invented" after the stove
>The vocabulary of the Sapients is limited. (Tree is Tree, there is no Oak Tree or Birch tree, just tree )
>>
>>29404325
>>
>>29402616
>>29402741
Nothing new. You posted this in August.

What is happening in chanland? I follow quite a few threads. Random dead writers come back saying that they continue, then just repost their last part of their story.
>>
>>29403566
that's why I liked Yoohoo's Anon. He hasn't built anything of note
it's more like a celebration of the tech other pones have made instead
>>
I have another idea.

>Anon is a rancher. He raises cattle with his new puppy
>When Anon ends up in Equestria, he is found by a primitive hive of changelings.
>Anon "invents" Animal husbandry
>Changelings get food somehow by raising animals.
>Anon the Rancher is born in the myth of the hives.

A bit of information about the world.

Assume that changelings are isolated from the rest of the world. They are not the most advanced species.
They don't have stone tools, they don't have writing, and they don't have archery.
This event happens before Equestria is founded, even before the three tribes are called the three tribes.
>>
>>29405352

I wounder who those "animals" was.
>>
>>29405561
Did you make that? That's pretty good.
>>
>>29405561
The animals were puppies. Puppies give unrequited love in return for feeding, playing, and grooming them.
>>
>>29405723

I photoshoped it, for the original google:

"caveman_science_fiction"

>>29405761

What happens when it grows-up? Also i can imagine it, is it would be like those ants that cut plant matter and chew it down to feed fungi deep inside the hive?

What food puppies are consuming by the way?
>>
>>29403566

I started writing a thing based off the prompt, and it was all set thirty years in the future because I also hate the whole "Anon builds a city in a year" concept. I mean, with LP, it's just part of the story, and I'll roll with it. It just seems jarring.
>>
Trading post
>>
>>29406044
When the puppy grows up it stays loyal as dogs imprint on the thing that cares for it.
The loyalty is love of course as love and loyalty go hand in hand.
You can feed the puppies many things. Raw fat is good for a snack.
>>
>>29402741
>>29404922
You know, Dubs anon has a point. This IS old stuff. Considering how old the story is i could understand you reposting the newest oft he old stuff, but if you're the real LP you should probably get a trip and add the new stuff to the paste. It would be sad if you werent the real deal, i re read the entire story and i would love to see it continued.
>>
>>29406068
Can you tell me more about your story?
>>
>>29409235

I doubt I'll ever have in shape to present, but the idea starts like the original promt: Twilight kicks him out, and he promises to found a new, better city. He travels to "the New World" to join Sir Walter Ralneigh's expedition.

Fast forward thirty years: Anon has built his own country in the new world. Anon has kept diplomatic ties severed... until now. The story picks up with Anon arriving for the first visit to Equestria since he left all those years ago.
>>
Finally back again, and picking right up where I left off.

>Your breath immediately leaves you as soon as you step into the Entrance Hall.
>It’s decorated in whites and golds, with ornate columns separating you from the Cross Hall across the room.
>You stop and take a moment to look up at the crown moulding before heading into the Cross Hall.
>It’s decorated in the same colors, and you don’t pause like you did in the Entrance Hall as you move into the East Room.
>The sun streams in through the large windows and gives everything a sort of ethereal gleam.
>It’s largely empty, with a few chairs on each corner and pictures of the Arcadian landscape above the four fireplaces.
>A grand piano sits in one corner of the room, the dark, rich wood immediately drawing your eye away from the ubiquitous whites and golds.
>You step through a small passageway and, soon, you’re in the Green Room.
>The whites and golds still carry over, but green is naturally the dominant color here.
>There’s an assortment of chairs and tables, most of which are angled towards the fireplace.
>The Blue Room, through another small vestibule, is as empty as the East Room, with some chairs on one side and a small white piano on the other.
>The Red Room is laid out much like the Green Room, with another painting above the fireplace, this time of your house on South Street.
>The State Dining Room, just one door down, is a more formal room, decorated in greens and browns, with dark, rich wood paneling and a large chandelier hanging from the ceiling, with ornate designs carved in the plaster.
>Another painting rests above the fireplace, and one more is hung on the far wall.
>>
>>29410092
>You know the ponies who painted all these, a few of them having come to Lancaster on the wagon train you led almost a decade ago.
>You wouldn’t have trusted any other artists to decorate the walls of your home.
>It’s almost amusing how, despite Arcadia’s limited territory, there are so many different paintings to be painted.
>You wish you could study them all for hours, but you can’t stop for too long.
>After a quick peek in the Family Dining Room, you head upstairs, making idle conversation about various architectural details with North Point and Garrison.
>Besides your private living quarters, which include a sitting room, a study, a library, and a dressing room, the second floor hosts two smaller bedrooms and two much larger suites for formal guests, along with a private kitchen and dining room.
>The third floor is mostly empty rooms, but there are a few storage rooms, a few bedrooms, and a glassy sun room as well.
>The three of you, after reaching the top of the building, then take the elevator to the bottom to examine the ground floor.
Because the front of the house sits on raised soil, a few more public rooms take up the back half of the ground floor, but this floor is certainly utilitarian as well.
>There’s a formal Reception Room, sharing the same oval shape as the Blue Room above it, and a Map Room, which includes a complete map of the world, gifted to you by a few of Arcadia’s explorers and pioneers as a small wink towards expanding further.
>They’ve even given you a pencil along with it so you could add to it yourself, as they put it.
>Beside that is the China Room, which houses an ornate set of China that none other than Princess Celestia brought to you as a sort of housewarming gift.
>You appreciate it, because you didn’t know what else to do with that room.
>>
>>29410097
>The Gold Room behind it is another formal lounge, and the Billiards Room down the hall houses a pool table custom-made by one of Arcadia’s finest artisans, a griffon who shares your love of a good game of billiards.
>Besides those rooms, there are some small offices, storage, and a large kitchen.
>The North Hall takes you underneath the portico, where there are several more rooms to explore.
>There’s a small swimming pool, included at your request, a garage, and a workshop.
>Your A-8 has already been brought around and garaged, and North Point’s roadster is right beside it.
>Your A-6 has been put in storage near AMC’s first factory, along with the rest of your personal cars.
>Something something posterity.
>Your workshop, however, is a blank slate, perfect for building whatever you dream up in the future.
>Your mind is already swimming with ideas for the empty rooms on the third floor.
>This is going to be fun.
>But your tour isn’t over yet!
>There are three other buildings to get through: The Capitol Building, the Cabinet Building, and the Supreme Court Building.
>You exit the Executive House (your house!) and make the short walk over to the Capitol Building.
>It’s quite a bit larger and more stately than the Executive House, the large dome grabbing your attention almost immediately.
>You walk up the steps and open the front doors, and you’re blown away once more.
>The Entrance Hall is vast, stretching to the other end of the building, and is decorated in light wood paneling and white tile with gold accents that makes the whole building glow.
>The large, circular space in the center of the hall that’s open to all three floors is even more impressive.
>>
>>29410100
>After slowly walking to the center of the room, your hand grips the railing and you look down to the tile floors of the ground floor beneath you, where records are kept, then up, to the glittering copper dome and the small windows that bathe the area in light.
>You give a thorough examination to both Chambers, one for the House and one for the Senate, one decorated in whites and reds, the other decorated in whites and blues, each with subtle green accents.
>You can’t help but feel a sense of awe as you tour this building.
>It’s, out of all four, the greatest example of the government you have created from the ground up.
>Because of the documents you, admittedly with the help of many others, penned, all this is here.
>You can’t help but feel a little bit of pride as you continue the tour.
>A large plaza on the back end of the lot completes the building.
>The Cabinet Building and the Supreme Court Building are largely similar.
>Both are decorated with the same white walls and dark hardwood floors.
>The Cabinet Building features a North and South Vestibule, each with a large, square light well.
>From above, the building looks vaguely waffle-shaped.
>An E-shaped group of offices anchors either end, and at the center of the building, between both vestibules, are the executive offices.
>Your office is on the very top floor, along with various other high-level officials.
>It’s a fascinating building, decorated with various murals and paintings that give it life.
>The Supreme Court Building is very similar in its layout and ornamentation, except it’s a little bit smaller than the Cabinet Building.
>The wings on either side lack courtyards, the space instead being used for more records storage.
>In the center of the building are the offices for the Justices, and on the top floor is the actual courtroom.
>>
>>29410106
>Like the Cabinet Building, it’s beautiful in its own way.
>You could spend hours wandering around the complex, examining every detail, but you can’t.
>There will be plenty of time for that later.
>Right now, you need to figure out when they’ll actually be occupied.
>You’re not worried about the Executive Departments.
>In fact, they can move in tomorrow.
>You just need to start fleshing out the other two branches of government.
>All the Supreme Court needs to open is a more detailed court system, and the Department of Justice is working on that.
>Everything will be ready by the end of 1910, two years from now.
>Congress is more complicated.
>The United States Congress, which you’re basing the Arcadian system off of, first met with a population of three million and thirteen states in the Union.
>Arcadia, right now, has around 150,000 people and zero states.
>But at the rate the population is growing, Arcadia should have a population of three million by 1920, and that’s a very conservative estimate.
>So you’ll have enough citizens to start pushing for representation very soon.
>States are a different matter entirely.
>Most of Arcadia’s population lives in Lancaster, and you can’t exactly divide up the city into different states to expand the Senate.
>But there’s not much room to grow outside of the city, either.
>Right now, your best estimates have put Arcadia’s territory at just 125,000 square miles.
>That seems like a lot, and it is, but it still makes Arcadia the smallest country on this planet.
>You need to explore and expand, and not just to have enough states to form a Senate.
>You’ve seen how much of the planet is completely uncharted; hell, Lancaster is on the edge of the known world.
>It wouldn’t take much effort to start mapping out the rest of the continent.
>>
>>29410110
>125,000 square miles
That's still pretty big.

About half the size of Texas.
>>
>>29410110
>You’d have more raw materials to work with, more space to spread out, and more influence globally.
>Every bone in your body is telling you that in order for Arcadia to survive, it must expand.
>For the rest of the day, you start the process of moving both your belongings and your government to their new homes.
>You earmark a few townhouses in the small enclave surrounding Capital Square for future government use, specifically one for the vice president’s house, one for, at the request of North Point, a “presidential retreat” next door, and various others for the Cabinet Secretaries and future high-level government officials.
>The staff responsible for maintaining the Executive House arrive in the afternoon, and you spend the rest of the day helping the Chief Usher, an earth pony named Marble Shine, acclimate to his new responsibilities.
>But you never stop thinking about what it would take to begin exploring the continent.
>You can barely sleep that night, not just because it’s the first night in a new bed, but also because the future of Arcadia rests on the decision you make in the morning.

And that's it. Happy late birthday to this green, because, according to the pastebin, January 23 was the one year anniversary of the date that I started writing this. This update was supposed to come out then, but shit got in the way. Honestly I can't believe I've spent a whole year on this shit. What started off as a small little idea grew into a giant, convoluted mess with almost autistic levels of worldbuilding and planning. Here's hoping I stick with it for another year. I've got a lot more stories to tell.

As usual, the pastebin is updated. Link: http://pastebin.com/eufFYFaw

>>29410134
Yeah, it's not really a small country, but almost everything outside of Lancaster is uninhabited desert. Not exactly prime real estate.
>>
>>29410148
It's been a year already? Time seems to fly
>>
>>29410110
>Go West!
MANNIFEST DESTINY FOR ARCADIA!
>>
James?
>>
>>29412729
Clarkson?
>>
>>29413463
Hammond?
>>
>>29364451
>>Growing tired of Twilight's berating, you go out into the world to prove her wrong.

Growing tired of Twilight's berating, you pick up a lamp and smash it over her skull.
>>
>>29413730
Alas! It was just a daydream. She is still lecturing you.
>>
>>29413853

Alas! The daydream was just a daydream, and the reality is that you have killed Twilight Sparkle through blunt skull trauma.

You quickly throw her body into a closet, cover it with whatever objects are nearby and make plans to blame it all on Spike and his murderous dragon rage. Equestria's future...is doomed.
>>
>>29413877
>Spike enters the room.
>Sees dead Twilight.
Aw jeez... not again!
>>
>>29413877
And don't forget to hang yourself nearby so nobody would suspect you!
>>
>>29413877
>>29413954
>>29413730
careful with all that edge
>>
File: 1464323738674.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1464323738674.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>29413730
>>29413877
>>29413954
>>
>>29410148
man, nobody's said it yet. i'm a bit disappointed. maybe this meme is coming to an end?

fuck you scotty.
>>
>>29374055
YES! I'd love to see some Deus Ex Machina-type scenarios. Or something like Transcendence or warnings of automation greatly altering the roles in society and who bares responsibility for deciding, implementing and accommodating all systems and parties affected, you know, pretty much the process and aftermath behind any technological (r)evolution in any field.
>>
>>29417249
>Transcendence
My zigga.
If the show is anything to go by, we could very well see some remnants of, or even the undergoing luddite revolts somewhere closer to the outer lands.
>>
File: 1472177614945.png (1B, 486x500px)
1472177614945.png
1B, 486x500px
>>29364451

Growing tired of Twilight's berating, you stab her in the neck with scissors.The blood immediately begins to gush from her neck as a look of horror appears on her face. She begins to stagger and gag, spitting out blood.

"Why!" gurgles Twilight as the life slowly leaves her body.

Quickly she uses her magic in an attempt to stop the bleeding and create a pressure pad using old pieces of material left over from one of Rarity's latest visits and nearby curtains.

You shake your head. Some ponies will never learn, you think to yourself.

Walking up to Twilight you stab her several more times, then kick her to the floor.
>>
>>29417333
Careful there, you might cut yourself on all that edge.

Are you the new despair anon?
>>
File: carling.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
carling.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>29417371
>Are you the new despair anon?
Doubt it. Although he does seem to be DESPERATE for attention.
>>
File: 1474953955612.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1474953955612.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>29417395
That was bad. Not even 'CARLOS' bad. Just bad.
>>
>>29416512
I noticed something was missing but couldn't quite place it.
>>
I have another idea.

>Anon is a bow hunter
>He ends up found by griffons in Equestria
>Anon invents archery
>Griffons worship Anon as the God of archery, hunting, food, and war.

Anon will "invent" archery to help the griffons (is it gryphons?) Assume that griffons are behind in the technology department.
Say Anon "invents" bows for the griffons to hunt with then the story would be about that.
If Anon "invents" bows for war with another species, do that.
>>
Hulkster,
>>
>>29419156
From what I understand griffin, griffon, and gryphon are all valid spellings
>>
>>29417439
That's because it's not the real Carlos, but a changeling poorly disguised as Carlos
>>
File: 1466299113079.png (1B, 486x500px)
1466299113079.png
1B, 486x500px
>tfw haven't browsed this thread in a long time
>tfw have a fuckton of catching up to do
>mfw a novel-length update from Writefag_Is_Kill since I last checked the pastebin
>>
File: IMG_0242.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_0242.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>29421848
>tfw I check the Fimfiction feed every week
>tfw Project Sunflower hasn't updated in 5 months
>tfw Mente Materia hasn't updated in 3 months

All I have is PortgateAnon to save me from this dead fic purgatory
>>
>>29421848
It's not just an update, anon. He's done.
>>
>>29422422

He said there's enough left for one more update(then admitted it might take two since he tends to drags things out).

Either way this seems to be more of an epilogue of sorts coming up.

Also since it's been a week and a few days since his last update:

>tfw Writefag_is_kill is kill

I cri everytiem
>>
File: IMG_6224.png (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_6224.png
1B, 486x500px
>>29422422
FUG :DDDDDDDDDDDDDD:DDDDD:DDDDDD
>>
>>29422485
he does have another story planned for these threads if that helps
>>
>>29423182
Oh.
Yeah, that does help. Neat.
I don't even know what it will be about but I'm already looking forward to it.
>>
File: 1479853932350.gif (4MB, 581x327px) Image search: [Google]
1479853932350.gif
4MB, 581x327px
>>29422422
>>
>>29424018
secret agents and stuff. it was confirmed last thread i think.
>>
>>29424307
>inb4 anon bond
>James bond's shitty cousin
>>
>>29422485
It's slow going. I've absolutely no motivation to write now, at least not for that story.
I hate Steel Sanctuary. I'm sure anyone who's ever undertaken a creative endeavor will understand why; I'm not the same writefag as I used to be. All you need do is compare the last post to the first 10k words. One could go on about the ways the first parts were terrible, but that really warrants a post all its own.

My disdain for this work isn't why I'm finding it difficult to proceed though. Despite all reason and common sense I don't want it to be over. After who knows how many hours working on this thing I've grown attached to it despite hating it. I can't help but be reminded of the good times I've had with it over the last year and change. Writing this last bit has a dreadful sense of finality that that part of my life is gone forever, that I'll never relive that experience. It's proving difficult to let go.

Oh, and >>29423182 is correct.

BLOG POST OVER.
>>
>>29424416
I can relate to that and understand how you feel. One can see that happen to almost all fiction writers who write long stories, time or lengthwise.

You have improved so much as writer during Steel Sanctuary and I'm waiting impatiently for the next story.
>>
>>29424416
Sup' Hulkster. If it helps, I and I know many others in this thread still love your story. Maybe you can get some joy from it through osmosis? Anyway I know finishing a big project can feel emotionally draining but having it done will give you a new feeling of satisfaction and starting a new one will bring you that old feeling of excitement. So keep-on keeping-on cause I wanna see Spike make Anon genuinely proud.
>>
Pilkington
>>
>>29424416
bump for this
btw every creator thinks that what he/she creates is shit
not just writers/artist
>>
>>29425203
This.
The game that I'm making is shit, but I push on regardless.
>>
>>29425228
What Game you making bud?
>>
File: the game.png (36KB, 642x501px) Image search: [Google]
the game.png
36KB, 642x501px
>>29425406
I'm working on a 2D sidescroller game, similar to Mario.

Right now, all the art is placeholder because fuck paying for shit if I end up abandoning it.
>>
>>29425228
>game
lemme see
>>
>>29425427
>>29425424
I can throw up a pony character real quick to make it /mlp/ related
>>
>>29425424
That's just placeholder art?
It looks good to me.
>>
File: game.webm (269KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
game.webm
269KB, 640x480px
>>29425751
It's just some tileart that I found online. The guy gave up on it, so it's incomplete and free to use.

>tfw no normal sized pony stylesheets
Have some grotesquely large pony.
>>
>>
>>29425921
Jesus fuck, this feels way more complete than other fangames that have been made, even if it's basic and incomplete.

Literally anything is great given the fandom's track record with vidya, of course.
>>
File: game.png (157KB, 1366x739px) Image search: [Google]
game.png
157KB, 1366x739px
>>29427014
I always create a checklist of what I need to do at the start of a project. As I go through, I mark off things in order of most important to least, adding anything else that I think of at a later date.

Right now, it's still pretty basic, because I honestly have no idea where I'm going with this, but what I still have to do as of right now are:

-Rework player movement
-Create interaction map (static items such as ladders, item blocks, etc)
-enemies
-items
-score
-audio
-The main menu

Also, I'm writing this from near scratch, with a little bit of SDL. None of that 2D Game Maker shit.
>>
brump
>>
>>29427064
oh man that's actually really cool, i thought it was gamemaker at first, but actually writing it from scratch in C? that's impressive.
>>
File: game.png (152KB, 1366x739px) Image search: [Google]
game.png
152KB, 1366x739px
>>29427782
It certainly adds to the complexity. But overall, it's a fun project.
>>
>>29425424
and I just lost.
>>
>>29425203
same anon here

>>29427965
protipp:
separate your interfaces.
for example the player can have the following:
- its a sprite (-> drawable)
- it needs to be loaded -> it owns resources
- it has physics/dynamics -> need to be advanced in every simulation step
- its needs to be cleaned up -> owns unique resources
- and for last -> its a player

Having a drawable interface means you just create a few list or even a tree (layers/groups) from all the objects that needs to be drawn.

Having resource load/destroy interface makes easier to load. Eg a map/layout can be a resource too.

Having physics interface means you just need to have all of those objects in a list to advance them easily -> no need to hardcode what a map contains.

Most of these can have an abstract class too.

Also take a look at the boost library.

Source: I wrote a game engine once for 2.5D from the ground up.
The game engine itself didnt even knew the concept between a level and and the player. Even the camera worked in a way that I tossed an object list saying that I want these visible on the screen, figure out an angle and a dynamic transition to get them visible.
>>
>>29428368
I could see about that, but that would take a lot of work.
>>
>Video game dev in equestria when?
>>
>>
>>29428600
architectural decisions has to be made early
>>
canoe,
>>
>>29429236
How would that even work? It's not like there are computers he could work with?
>>
>>29431469
There's canonical electricity so they're probably not that far off from computers.
>>
>>29431469
There are arcade machines so there's that.
>>
>>29431541
Many early arcade machines had mechanical computing parts in certain places. But your point stands, they would have some electricity for the screens unless they were very basic...or very weirdly made.
>>
>>29402096
Will do, yeah. Have a bit more Janitor Anon to write before dumping all that, then the science story is the next priority
>>
File: IMG_0080.jpg (37KB, 610x608px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0080.jpg
37KB, 610x608px
>Zebramancer is death
>>
>>29431478
>>29431591
As a game dev ... no. You would have to re-invent all of electronics, then create an operating system from scratch, then a physic/graphic/game engine, and only then you can start thinking about making something actually fun.
Magitech that shit from runes, enchantment, illusions, or whatever. There must be a way to create a magic device / enchanted thingy that can do something like what Discord created for Big Mac & Spike - just need to find a neet unicorn interested in doing the magical part of the project for you.
>>
>>29432349
Depends what kind of game we are talking about.

If we mean producing some sort of arcade game, then that is fairly simple. Given the limited controls and interactivity most of it can be "automated" and therefore unaffected by the player.

For example, the classic "House of the dead (1-2-3-4-5)" can be done by having a simple system of strings attached to physical targets. When the targets are shot they fall over (out of the player's sight) and pull the string which activates a mechanism. Recording the "death" of the enemy.

By creating a core "computation reel" similar to that of an early automated weaver, you could have a "damage counter" tick up by moving a series of light metal fingers over a reel of tape, metal, clay or any other material.

By "dying" the string is lifted off of the reel or otherwise disconnected, stopping it causing "damage" to the players "health" (represented by having a corkscrew move up and down? Filled with a liquid for displaying health to player?).

When the "health" is fully emptied, it could press on a metal plate, create a circuit or otherwise trigger a sound / gramophone informing the player of their death. The forming of a circuit example could work quite well, if it breaks a circuit instead it would de-power the parts of the game and therefore end the round.

Still this would make reseting it an expensive job without making it a large machine or without using magic but I have proven my point. It can be done with a fairly simple system of parts.

As to producing an actual "computer" game as we know them today? Difficult.
>>
File: 1438741088982.png (56KB, 371x373px) Image search: [Google]
1438741088982.png
56KB, 371x373px
why everybody die on us godfuckingdamit
>>
>>29432523
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czLYl4fM8yk
>>
>>29432523
because life is suffering
>>
>>29431938
No, No es cierto solo anduve de pachanga.
I trying to write , but all i can do is writhe.
i will try to deliver tomorrow in the mean time here's the updated pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/pKVfQaXt
>>
>>29433990
That video is the best thing ever.
>>
>>29434389
a real demonstration of human ingenuity
>>
arctic,
>>
>>29433990
Glad to see you're not dead
>>
File: 1442342474322.jpg (45KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1442342474322.jpg
45KB, 480x480px
>>29432530
holy shit
>>
>>29431838
Alright, looking forward to it
>>
File: IMG_1090.jpg (300KB, 1024x1004px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1090.jpg
300KB, 1024x1004px
>>29433990
clock is ticking
>>
File: me.jpg (39KB, 455x446px) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
39KB, 455x446px
>>29437391
>>29439754
writer block. i will try again tomorrow after some tobacco and coffe
>>
File: IMG_1264.png (8KB, 299x276px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1264.png
8KB, 299x276px
>>29439781
>>
>>29439781
hope that writer's block goes away soon
>>
b00p
>>
>>29441791
>>
vizor,
>>
File: 1485619903042.jpg (4MB, 4960x3507px) Image search: [Google]
1485619903042.jpg
4MB, 4960x3507px
>>
>>29389220
Hey Portgate you still alive?
>>
>>29389453
whoops I'm an idiot, it's a drill and a claw hammer
>>29393480
I don't know, mate. Maybe she just doesn't sound country enough?>>29446230
yep, I try to regularly update every 2 weeks now but even that's a bit difficult. Expect some action soon, though - shit is about to go down
>>
>>it's a drill and a claw hammer
I figured as much but there wasn't a clear separation in description
>>
>>29447816
how did you fuck up that post?
>>
File: slowly.png (42KB, 408x282px) Image search: [Google]
slowly.png
42KB, 408x282px
>>29441223
>>29440200
its getting there
in a slow and unesteady fashion
but its getteng there
>>
>>29449735
Rome wasn't built in a day
>>
>>29449735
>>29446877
as long as you two continue that's what I want
>>
>>29370139
Why are we here? Just to suffer?
>>
>>
>>29370139
She has the exact same color pallet as Windranger from DotA.
This pleases me.
>>
>>29453509
huh, you're absolutely right
>>
hozgm
>>
pita.
>>
File: tumblr_nbzait8ril1rn8um6o1_1280.png (327KB, 1280x830px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nbzait8ril1rn8um6o1_1280.png
327KB, 1280x830px
bump for riding tanks on top of jets
>>
>>29457575
metal slug equestria when?
>>
>>29444745
10/10 would ogle inner mechanisms.
>>
>>29458239
me too
>>
still working
>>
>>29459451
damn that's a cool pic
>>
File: 22b.png (611KB, 346x960px) Image search: [Google]
22b.png
611KB, 346x960px
>>29459451
That's a cool stand
>>
>>29460662
>>
boop
>>
Krump
>>
>>29460662
>>
>>
>>29460855
What would it be called though?
>>
>>29465201
That pic makes me wonder, are there any good and still alive/completed deus ex and mlp crossover stories?
>>
Reminder that PeteQ needs to give us more Twilight Sparkle verbally abusing Rainbow Dash and Anon for doing science.

We were promised a continuation like 2 months ago. I demand results!
>>
File: 1429740494290.png (82KB, 291x263px) Image search: [Google]
1429740494290.png
82KB, 291x263px
>>29467668
>PeteQ will never write more qt Science Dash
>We will never get more Dashie getting giddy when she learns something new about the world around her
>>
>>29468372
>>29467668
I'm not reading it so do either of you know if he's done writing Janitor Anon yet? He did say he would start after that was finished >>29431838
>>
>>29468372
pig! Hate that show
>>
>>29468372
peteq will surely deliver
>>
>>
plaster kkk
>>
File: tumblr_npviotoR7R1u5k06fo1_540.jpg (51KB, 540x394px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_npviotoR7R1u5k06fo1_540.jpg
51KB, 540x394px
Cont from
>>29433990

>At last you land upon a hexagonal metal platform close to the center of complex.
>Waiting for you are a crew of Odin-32 alongside a carry hover cart.
>Without missing a beat the drones load the strongboxes onto the cart .
>For a moment you consider riding atop the cart, bud decide against it.
>Better not get lazy, otherwise you'll end up riding that new transport all the time.
>The walk into the core of sector seven is silent, drones don't make good conversation partners.
>Really most of your robots don't even talk to begin with.
>And only a handful of those that can talk are sentient.
>Among them, the one self aware by design is Eden.
>Nowadays you're not so sure shes the only one tho.
>the servant drones like Babylon and Arcadia have their programed personalities, but as the years pass they had begun to show expressions and quirks well beyond what they were built to have.
>there are also some commanding drones like Hector and Perseus than have begun to show a more casual behavior to which they weren't programed.
>You're not worried though.
>the most radical changes occurred centuries ago, if any of them wanted to go rouge they would have long ago.
>If anything you're glad.
>Being only surrounded by robots can get pretty lonely.
>The only living beings that you could call friendly live a few thousand miles to the east.
>And even among them there are some that dislike you or downright hate you.
>Any semblance of companionship is welcome.
>Should you get a mascot again?
>Nah, you already have too many animals in the husbandry modules.
>and you barely take care of them.
>its not like you have to, the vet and farms drones do that.
>But then again, those are cattle ratter than pets.
>What about the reptiles you keep, or the fishes at the aquarium.
>The reptiles are there to maintain the self contained ecosystem, same with bugs and amphibians.
>And the fishes are more decoration than pets, like a potted plant or a bird cage.
>>
>>29471297
>But you don't keep birds caged. there are few in the underworld and the only one you own are either in the husbandry modules or fly around at the inner sanctum.
>Jeez now that you think about it, you have a few zoo's worth of animals down here.
>Should you make an actual zoo?
>For who? Eden is the only one besides you whom would see it.
>She already check on them from time to time.
>But she had never done it before with her new body.
>With new senses are very different from what she had before,the experience would be very different as well.
>You'll do it, at some point.
>Not yet tho, too busy right now.
>In the mean time you'll get Eden a pet.
>something cuddly, maybe a cotton rat.
>Nah a cotton rat is still a rat.
>Better let her chose.
>Its not like she have much to chose from, tho.
>There aren't many animal that are mascot material.
>The option would be the surface. Really not an option just yet.
>Perhaps you could MAKE a pet for her.
>Not just a robot, it would take some effort but you're sure you can reverse engineer a pet.
>Not a cat though, you not want her to turn into a cat lady.
>You're taken out of you thought train by the security door requesting your voice confirmation.
“Anonymous, Level one access.”
>The thick security doors slide open as you enter the core of sector seven.
>Soon the steel and polymer hallways give way to a the stone and mortar of the the old fortress.
>You decided to keep the necromancer inner fortress mostly the same, out of functionality really.
>The masonry was covered in runes designed to prevent thaumatic leaks and harden the already strong granite.
>The overall design of the fortress was meant to delay any attack and facilitate the capture of any intruder.
>Of course you had upgraded everything and even added a few new thing like turrets and drone dispensers.
>But besides a few metal bits, more complex runes and the fact that its clean now, the place looks pretty much like it did when you found it.
>>
>>29471329
>You enter what was once the throne room of the necromancer.
>Where once were bookshelves filled with magic tomes and scrolls now res row upon row organic computers.
>Across the room several examination tables each with various equipment attached to mechanic arms and feelers.
>There are several small jellyfish-like drones flying around the room tending to the computers and tables.
>In the center of the room are three massive vats each containing a brain the size of beach ball.
>This is the magical research command center, is from here where the three research brains: Merlin, Medea and Prospero. Oversee, and catalog all experiments related to magic.
>”Welcome again master, to what do we own this visit?” Asks Merlin in his deep and wizened voice.
“We had found several magic tomes and magic gemstones during the raid to the mud hive near mine 3-14b.”
>”And you wish for us to examine then and catalog them, yes?” said Medea eager to begin
“Indeed, send the tomes to the magic library at the inner sanctum after youre done with them.”
>”It shall be done in brevity master.” replied Prospero with his shakeperian voice
“I would also like to know if there has been any progress with the thaum enriched rounds project.”
>”So far Blue Adamantite have shown the highest shield penetration to force, ratio.” said Merlin
>”However I would recommend to stick to Cold iron for now, since production costs and the brittleness of Blue Adamantite would make it a bad material for ammunition.” refuted Medea.
>”Nonsense! All we need to do is to find a proper agglutinative for a blue adamantite coat and it will be as cheap as lead.” reassured Merlin
“You look into that, Merlin. In the meantime, well produce a minor catch Cold iron ammo for the elite defense drones until we find a better alternative.”
>”i will see to it myself master.” replied Medea.
“I will take my leave then, Prospero, let me know if you find something noteworthy withing those tomes.”

thats it for now
>>
>>29471297
>>29471329
>>29471344
I just realized that i for got my trip
fuck
>>
>>29469548
Don't worry, if you are white and/or male that show hate you too.
>>
>>29471356
dude, you have name, but you never had a trip.
>>
>>29471356
yo thanks for the update zebramancer
>>
>>29471699
You know what he meant
>>
>>29471356
it's not like it was a mystery who you were considering that you were posting the last couple of days about working on a update
>>
File: IMG_1356.png (340KB, 495x502px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1356.png
340KB, 495x502px
New chapter coming up on Wednesday
I'm real tired but this was a lot more fun to write so yay I guess
Get hyped
>>
>>29474734
Without a name it's hard tell who you are... it's Portgate right?
>>
File: IMG_1320.png (683KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1320.png
683KB, 2000x2000px
>>29475060
>>29474734
fuck me, ZebraMancer fucked up and now I did too?
Anyways, expect guns next chapter
>>
>>29469548
It's actually the most well-written show on television at this current moment, in my opinion.
Look, if you can't get over Garnet's character, that's a problem with you, not the show.

Also never ever delve into the fandom or the staff's twitter. Don't be "that guy" and fail to separate the art from the artist.
>>
>>29382964
>I strongly oppose theoretical physics and remind people that it is not science
You better be fucking memeing, because holy shit you're retarded. I bet you unironically wore a fedora at one point in your life.
>>
File: not even burnt.gif (2MB, 298x300px) Image search: [Google]
not even burnt.gif
2MB, 298x300px
>>29472066
will continue working on it
>>29475084
perdon señor portopuerta
>>29475666
>MFW i unironically wore a fedora almost a decade ago
It was a real fedora not the tribly thing that all neckberds wear tho
>>
Anyone remember a greentext story on pastebin that involved Twilight on a small faster-than-light space vessel with one pilot?
>>
my little meatus
>>
>>29467668
>>29468372
>>29470312
I'll post something in this thread, then. May not be a huge update, but I have a couple of posts worth prewritten already. I'll get something out for you guys over the next day or two.

>>29469548
I like it. Best show I've seen recently is pic related though.
>>
i want wik
>>
Bottlebanker
>>
>>29477491
It sure is taking him noticeably longer than usual with writing this final update
>>
Continuing an RD science story I've been working on. Pastebin here:
http://pastebin.com/9H8f7A0s

When we left off, Dash and Anon had done an experiment into the speed of sound, and Twilight had given Anon a load of books to read about magic.

>Huh.
>The books Twilight gave you are... heavy, to say the least.
>There's a lot of confusing and often contradictory statements to wade through, but one thing's clear...
>These ponies are pretty committed to this whole damn magic thing.
>It reminds you of all those theories about the Earth being the centre of the universe.
>In ancient history it was a pretty reasonable thing to think. Sun goes up, sun goes down. Moon goes up, moon goes down.
>Slowly, though, people noticed things that didn't quite fit.
>The way the planets moved was off. Eclipses happened at the wrong times.
>So they added things to the theory. Planets didn't just circle the Earth, they actually circled a point circling the Earth.
>Soon other issues were spotted, and suddenly the planets circled a point circling a point circling the Earth.
>Eventually someone looked at it and decided it was all too messy, and that things made a lot more sense if the sun were in the middle with everything going round that.
>Maybe you're simplifying it a bit, but the point is theories get too complicated and a simpler one comes along to replace it.
>You get the feeling that the ponies are right on the verge of that.
>It looks like they've attributed everything in existence to different kinds of "magic". Every action or interaction is magic. Forces, energy, the physical properties of matter. Heck, even time, life and concepts like love.
>Take, for example, fire, as described in the most recent book you've been reading.
>>
>>29478749
>Fire is one of the four fundamental elemental magics, the others being (famously) water, earth and air.
>Take a campfire, for example. According to the ponies, the fire works by releasing latent fire magic from the wood.
>As the fire magic leaves the wood, it causes the 'composition' of the wood to go out of balance, and it returns to its other constituent elements, ash representing its earth magic, smoke representing its air elements and the water elements being devoured by the fire, since those are opposites.
>There's more, though. There are other types of magic to be balanced out. Life, light, dark, 'aromatic'...
>The burning wood spits out all its life magic as light, and its latent 'dark magic' (which normally balances out its light magic) is absorbed into the surroundings as shadows.
>So far so mental.
>And then, somehow, it gets even more contrived.
>The release of fire magic can be triggered by flames or by heat, both of which are expressions of fire magic itself. That explains how fire spreads. But not all objects have the same 'composition' as wood, and fire magic being added or taken from different other objects can have different effects.
>Sand, say, is composed mainly of earthen elements and can produce glass when it has fire magic applied to it. This is because the fire burns out the 'water content' of the sand, which leaves it full of air and earthen components. The air components are what make it transparent.
>Fire's also innately linked with strength, which fire magic brings to metal when it tempers it. It's also linked with nutrition, which is why it makes bread better to eat, and how slash and burn agriculture works...
>It goes on and on.
>And this is just fire, and only the very basics of that. There are whole books dedicated to the behaviour of fire magic, let alone the dozens of other types of magic or the hundreds of pseudo-magical properties things can have.
>>
>>29478766
>Generally speaking, it seems to you like most forms of energy transferal or force are described as magic. The movement of the wind or water, fire, gravity, magnetism...
>And then there's the weird properties. The books seem to differ in how they discuss these. Some call it semi-magic, others call them base properties or fundamentals. They're essentially descriptions of physical properties.
>Weight (or rather, mass), hardness, tensile strength, heat capacity and even permeability are all there, whether obviously or perhaps more subtly. All described through the interactions of magic.
>They're called things like "ground-affinity", "incorporeality", "stability".
>But the cherry on the cake, the real thing that makes your head spin, is that this is only the most widely accepted model of the universe. There are many competing 'theories'.
>These theories, they're not like scientific ones. They're more philosophical in nature. Or perhaps religious.
>Ponies believe whatever they want to believe. Whichever idea most takes their fancy, that's what they take to be true.
>No rational arguments, no evidence, no experiments. Just gut feel.
>So all this crap you just spent the last few hours reading, it's all useless. Sure, a lot of ponies will believe it the world works this way, but plenty more won't.
>Skimming a few other books has confirmed just how different these theories can be. Some mostly agree with a few minor differences, others don't even agree on the fundamentals.
>They don't compete rationally, through arguments and soundly explaining how things work. The authors just explain their belief. No justification, no refutation of the ideas of others, no discussion. Just pages and pages of crap, with the occasional passive-aggressive comment aimed at another author.
>>
>>29478805
>Not only are theories of magic incredibly contrived and convoluted, they're not even unanimously believed. With so many competing and contradictory ideas, it seems like any explanation can attract a following.
>Christ, this is a mess.
>One book explains how stones sink because their natural resting place is below water, the natural resting place of which is below air. That's why rain falls, but it doesn't try to explain how rain gets up there in the first place.
>Another book helpfully explains that 'fire and water are two sides of the same coin, with air and earth making the other side of the same coin', which is wrong on so many levels you don't know where to start. Unless there's a 4-sided Equestrian coin you've yet to come across.
>You're starting to get worked up about this.
>These books are drek. They're opinion pieces, and yet there are dozens of different schools of thought on how magic works and what its role in society should be.
>The fact that rational thought and inquiry are considered immature while this crap is touted as insightful is baffling.
>Although, you feel, you should have expected something like this.
>It's kind of silly now you look back, but you expected the books to just say "Everything is magic".
>The fact that there'd be different philosophies and ideas never really crossed your mind.
>You sigh, massaging your temples
>You're going to give yourself a headache at this rate.
>Positives. Positives. What are the positives?
>Perhaps the fact that ponies are so open to hearing different theories of magic could come be useful. If you can start by phrasing the scientific method in terms they're familiar with...
>Could you lure them in with psuedoscience?
>Hmmm
>That might work, but it feels wrong. You want ponies to embrace the scientific method at face value. You want them to see how useful it is, how it can offer better answers than their current system does.
>Maybe that could be your last resort.
>>
>>29478834
>You stand up, stretching out your legs
>It's been hours since you left your desk, being so engrossed in (and enraged by) the books Twilight gave you.
>You decide you need something to drink, so you head downstairs
>What else is positive about this?
>Well, the way they think magic works shows that ponies are at least aware of certain physical phenomena.
>If you can convince a few that the scientific method can explain these phenomena better, perhaps they'll spread the ideas?
>Thinking of Earth and human history, you feel like scientific revolutions happened when people had greater access to the spread of ideas.
>Maybe you could get a printing press?
>That could work. Put out a few pamphlets. There are supposedly ponies out there interested in the scientific method. Maybe they'd be interested in hearing what you had to say.
>You walk into the kitchen, almost slipping on the tiles in your socks.
"Damn!"
>One of your hands grasps at the counter, steadying yourself.
>You should put a rug down or something, you're going to fall over and kill yourself one of these days.
>As you fix yourself a drink, you consider whether Rainbow might know any other ponies who were interested in science.
>Perhaps you could start a club or something.
>Yeah. That might work. Get some material printed, spread it around a bit. Start with less offensive ideas, like the speed of sound. Things people can easily verify for themselves.
>Show them that the simple things can be explained by the scientific method, then build up slowly. Make everything super accessible.
>Standardise it all, the rigour, the methodology. Be a respected source of facts.
>You could teach classes, spread ideas.
>A scientific institute would be great.
>You could call it The Ponyville Scientific Society.
>Has a nice ring to it.
>Though the acronym is PSS, which sounds too much like 'piss'.
>You'll work on-
thud
>-it.
>You blink
>Something heavy just hit your front door.
>Or maybe a giant knocked. Once.
>>
>>29478910
>Water still in hand, you saunter to the front door
>There's a frantic knocking
>"Anon? You in!?"
>Dash?
"Yeah. just coming."
>She shouts through the door, breathlessly
>"Anon!?"
"Yeah, coming!"
>You're two feet away from the door, for heck's sake. What has her so excited?
>It's not unusual for RD to drop in and say hi, but she doesn't sound her usual cool, collected self.
>You open the door
>Rainbow Dash stands there, fidgeting.
"Hey, Dash, what's-"
>"So I was moving a rogue cloud, just a little one, right?"
>Blinking, you take a moment to register her hasty words
>You don't know what a rogue cloud is.
"Uh, wha-"
>"Yeah, so I was thinking about the experiment we did with the sound, and about how you say it's important to repeat experiments and I thought I could do it with the cloud, oh it was sparking, and, yeah that's why I thought-"
>You hope it isn't important that you know what a rogue cloud is, though you can probably guess
>She stops to suck in a breath of air, and you seize your chance to speak
>You guess whatever this is is important enough to skip the normal friendly chitchat
"Sparking?"
>She beams at you, practically bouncing on the spot
>"Uh-huh, you know, making unmanaged lightning and thunder. Well, I was thinking maybe we could use the clouds next time we do an experiment because the thunder's louder and I could go further away and you could wave when the thunder happened and I started thinking maybe I could get someone over to do the experiment but then I thought..."
>She shakes her head as though to clear it, composing herself
>"Look, Anon... lightning and thunder happen at the same time!"
>You nod
"Yeah?"
>She nods back, grinning
>You stare at her blankly, not sure where she's going with this
>"At the same time!"
>She repeats herself, raising her eyebrows
"Uh..."
>"I did an experiment and proved it! I thought you'd be excited to hear!"
>>
>>29478957
>You remember the glass of water you're holding and take a long sip to buy yourself a little time
>This all feels surreal. Either this is some kind of fever dream, or Dash is so excited she's making no sense. Time to clear this up.
"Right. So you did an experiment?"
>She nods
>"Yeah, I thought I could get someone to wave when the thunder went off, but then I noticed the flashes were coming at the same time as the thunder, and remembered how you said there's no delay when you're close to the sound, but further away it takes time to travel. So I thought maybe the lightning and thunder are happening at the same time. I flew away and timed it and the difference between the thunder and lightning was the same as the time it'd take the sound to move to me!"
>Ahhhh
>She worked out how long it'd take the sound to travel using the results from your other experiments and found the time between the thunder and lightning was consistent with that.
>You furrow your brow
>Do ponies not know thunder and lightning are caused by the same thing?
"So you think they happen at the same time?"
>She nods vigorously
>"Yeah! They sound like they're at different times, but that's because it takes time for the sound to travel!"
>You rub at your nose thoughtfully
>Odd, you'd have thought ponies would have noticed that. It's a pretty useful way to-
>You freeze
>Dash did an experiment!
>On her own!
>Forget about the observation skills of other ponies, this calls for a celebration.
"RD, this is great! Come in, come in!"
>You beckon the mare inside, leading her toward your kitchen
>She raises her head, proudly
>"It is pretty great, isn't it? We make a good team!"
"We?"
>She nods
>"Yeah, you helped give me the idea. I'll put you as my co-scientist if I get an award."
>With the way science is perceived here, you doubt she'll get an award. But still, you appreciate the thought
"Thanks, but I think you deserve all the credit. I want to know all about it."
>>
>>29479001
>It's not a particularly interesting result, but still. You want to encourage Dash to do more experimentation.
>And the fact she's curious and thinking about natural phenomena is a good sign.
>"I made a hypothesis, and I tested it and I did it at different distances and I made a discovery!"
"You repeated it at different distances?"
>If RD grinned any wider, the top of her head would fall off.
>Dash never struck you as someone who'd be interested in experiments and nerd stuff, but here she is having kittens over making a discovery.
>Entering the kitchen, you almost slip again on the tiled floor, but Dash steps forward, leaning her body against yours to steady you
>She feels warm against you. Warm and soft
>"I gotcha."
>She lingers for a moment, making sure you're steady before she finally pulls away
"Thanks."
>Your heart's beating a little from the near fall
>Dash smiles at you, and you feel slightly embarrassed. Now you're definitely going to get a rug. Or slippers.
>Best distract her before she can get in a joke at your expense
"It's a pretty great discovery, Dash."
>"Thanks, I thought I'd come straight here and tell you about it, I thought you'd want to know."
"I do, I appreciate you coming."
>She's so flustered about all this her face has gone a little red
>"I'm going to tell the Royal Weather Corps. This could save lives!"
>You grin
>She's being melodramatic
"Oh, it could, could it?"
>She nods
>"Yeah. You're supposed to keep your distance from the bigger rogue systems. There's a couple of ponies a year that die from getting too close."
"Wait, what?"
>>
>>29479021
>"Yep. Especially out near the coast. They get a big rogue system in, someone flies a little too close and BAM!"
>She stomps a hoof
>"They get hit by debris or blown out of the air. You gotta keep your distance, steer it from the edge."
>You shake your head in disbelief
"Sounds really important, then."
>Dash puffs out her chest
>It seems so odd that ponies wouldn't have noticed this before, especially if it was a matter of life and death. It's a simple observation, that the time between thunder and lightning is greater the further away you are.
>Whatever, now's not the time to worry about that.
>"My first discovery! I'm gonna write a letter, and put in the experiment so they know how I know. Then they can try it themselves and-"
>She rattles off on another breathless speech
>You nod along as you grab a couple of glasses, pouring a celebratory drink
>Whiskey.
>You hand her a glass, and she frowns, surprised you're drinking so early in the evening.
"That letter can wait, D. First, we need to celebrate!"
>Your plans for the rest of the day can be put on hold. There's plenty of time to get angry about magic later. It's not going anywhere.
>Right now, you want to celebrate with your friend.
>For a moment, Rainbow Dash's smile fades and she looks you right in the eye, going still. Just for a moment, though.
>She smirks, nodding
>"Darn right, we do!"
>She holds up her drink
>"Cheers!"
"Salud."
>You clink glasses
>>
That's all for now. Updated the pastebin here:
http://pastebin.com/9H8f7A0s

Any errors I've made, let me know and I'll correct them in the pastebin. Otherwise, feedback/thoughts appreciated. See you guys again in about three months just kidding not kidding though.
>>
File: simpsons heart rip.gif (289KB, 500x188px) Image search: [Google]
simpsons heart rip.gif
289KB, 500x188px
>>29479129
Rainbow Dash telling Anon about her experiment made me so happy.

>MFW 3 months until the next update
>>
>>29479459
hopefully It will be worth the wait
>>
>>29479644
I have confidence it will be
>>
File: IMG_1393.jpg (7KB, 156x132px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1393.jpg
7KB, 156x132px
nice
>>
>>29477491
>>29478589
I just scrapped the whole thing. For whatever reason I was desperately trying to do it all in one update, but it just wasn't working. Now the plan is to finish up the human stuff, then do the pony stuff.
Making decent progress now. Decent by my standards, I'm still fucking slow.
>>
>>29481523
Any idea when the update will come out?
>>
>>29479129
write more you fucking hippie
>>
>>29481079
...soon?
>>
>>29479129
I can't wait until Anon introduces occam's razor to help simplify theories.
>>
>>29484208
i feel that would a huge undertaking in equestria
>>
>>
PICKLE
>>
>>29479644
Well this update took a similar length of time, and I think it was worth it.
>>
>>29482696
>>29485709
>>
Here we go. Chapter 8, just for you guys

Try not to screw up. But if you do, blame it on the circumstances.
-Nathaniel Brooks, How to Succeed in Life

-Rainbow Dash-

>The chirping of songbirds slowly pecked away at the thick haze, each burst of sound slowly waking the pegasus up from her sleep. Rainbow Dash opened her eyes, blinking away the last remnants of her slumber. She laid in a daze for a moment as the bright morning light filtered through the trees, which was occasionally interrupted by the odd passing cloud. Her head soon became clearer, and she slid out of the sleeping bag and stretched her wings out. A soft yawn slid out of her mouth as she prepared her muscles for the day ahead.
>"Good morning, Rainbow Dash!"
Twilight was pulling her saddlebags >and her sleeping bag off the tree when Rainbow Dash turned towards her. Her magic made quick work of the hanging bags, but Rainbow Dash noticed that Applejack was already packed up and ready to embark on their search. Probably just Applejack waking up way too early, she thought.
>"Morning, Twilight. What're we doin' today?"
>>
>>29488194

>"Well, we still have a half-furlong to travel. Then we'll set up a camp and look around for whatever made those noises. Sound good, Dash?"
>Rainbow dash nodded as she secured a footing on the thick branches she had rested on, then fluttered her wings. She hovered around the limbs, easily packing up the bedroll despite having only hooves to do so. Many years of living with hooves meant that ponies had developed rather inventive ways to perform basic functions, and the straps of Rainbow Dash's gear were no exception. It wasn't long before she had completely prepared to embark, and the three set off through the woods.
>The warm hues of autumn surrounded the ponies as they trekked, their ears graced with the comforting sounds of mother nature. As they continued, the trees and shrubs became denser and denser. They encountered more and more vegetation with each step into the forest, and soon their vision was almost completely obscured by the browns and yellows of the fall forest. Before long, the sun faded behind the foliage, turning the bright colors of fall into a darker shade. Soon, the first unsettling thoughts crawled their way into the ponies' minds.
>Rainbow Dash had started the day with an optimistic outlook, in a sunny and happy forest. Now, however, as Twilight pushed aside branch after branch and Applejack struggled to keep her signature stetson on her head, she felt a little bit uneasy in the woods. The cragged trunks of the denser, wilder forest formed strange shadows in the background, and the cheerful birds chirps had been replaced by an almost sinister breeze that whistled and whooshed as it passed their ears and rustled the branches of the trees.
>>
>>29488205

>"I don't exactly like the looks of this place, Twi."
>Applejack was the first to voice her concerns about the forest. She wasn't wrong to do so; though the Everfree was much more friendly in certain spots, it could also be quite untamed and dangerous in others. If they were going to encounter trouble anywhere, this part of the woods would be the place.
>"Don't worry, Applejack. Everything will be fine. We'll beat up anything that-"
>A snap from somewhere nearby quickly cut Rainbow Dash's bravado. The three ponies froze on the spot, completely silent and searching for the source of the noise. Nothing happened for a second - then a rustling sound came from their right, slowly getting louder and closer. Rainbow Dash began to tense her wings, prepared for a fight. Twilight readied her magic, and Applejack quietly assumed a fighting stance.
>Suddenly, a brown, blurry mass burst out of the nearby bushes, zooming closer by the second. Twilight's reflexes were quick, however, and she sent a flurry of magical bolts flying towards the incoming creature. Several found their mark, and the injured creature collapsed to the forest floor, sending up a cloud of dirt. The ponies glanced at the canine form lying on the ground, its wooden body and green eyes sending a shock of fear through their hearts. None of them made a sound as they stared, mouths agape, at the body on the ground.
>Timberwolf.
>>
>>29488220

>Far away yet terrifyingly close by, howls broke out across the woods and broke the silence. Though they were ready for a fight, all three ponies knew that there would be too many for them to keep at bay. Applejack glanced at Twilight, then Rainbow Dash, then Twilight before breathing out "Run!" in a panicked voice.
>That snapped the other two ponies out of their stupor, and they began to blindly dash through the forest at full gallop. The dense foliage scratched and tore at their coats, but they still zipped through the branches and twigs at full speed. The calls of the timberwolf pack followed them as they were pursued, a faraway whine that slowly but surely closed in on the ponies. None of the three ponies knew where they were running; their minds were addled by the rush of pure adrenaline, and only two thoughts managed to remain with them as they ran.
>Stay together.
>Escape.
>>
>>29488229

-Castaways-

>Another hunk of meat gone, a hundred more to go.
>Thankfully, the acidic hydra blood had mostly drained out of the chunks after they were blown apart. It was important to err on the side of caution, though, and Leah wore rubber gloves and an apron as she carried the bits of flesh away to the designated "let it rot over there" pile. Spots of yellow and black grass marked the places where they had landed, the vegetation corroded and poisoned by the toxic liquid.
>She flung the heavy chunk onto the pile, where it landed with a satisfying "thwack". With a quick burst of air out of her nose, Leah turned around and began to walk over to Andrew, who was picking around the main body of the hydra.
>"Hey Andrew, what're you doing?" she asked.
>"Well, I was thinking...you see these heads?"
>"Yeah?"
>"They would make a good decoration, you know? We could hang it on a wall, to commemorate-"
>"No, wait! We could have it on a wooden spike outside, as a warning."
>"Well, who do we even have to warn?"
>"I don't know. I guess the wildlife?"
>>
>>29488241

>Andrew opened his mouth to voice his argument against the idea, but a distant howl broke their conversation. The two snapped their heads towards the source of the sound, listening as it died down far away. Several more called back in response, some of them too nearby for comfort.
>"Oh, crap. Come on, Leah, we gotta wake up Noah!"
>Andrew grabbed Leah by the wrist and ran towards the house, almost dragging her behind him. He kicked the door open, quickly grabbing his gun off of a nearby table and tossing another to Leah. She ran over to the back room, sliding a magazine into the stock of her bullpup as she shook Noah awake.
>"Is something happening?" he asked as he tossed his covers off. His training allowed him to immediately snap to attention at the drop of a hat, even in deep sleep.
>"Something's howling, and I don't like it. Grab a gun and get ready, the howls came from the west side."
>As Leah ran back outside to put on her chest rig, Noah hopped to his feet and ran towards the shoddy closet in the back corner of the room. He threw it open and reached inside, searching for a weapon. Five feet high and three wide, the wooden closet didn't disappoint him as he pulled out a menacing black weapon with a large drum magazine.
>>
>>29488254

>The Mark 30 "Bluntforce" Automatic Shotgun was designed to provide for devastating amounts of close-range firepower. Firing special 16-gauge rimless shells at a cyclic rate of 240 rounds per minute, the Bluntforce weighs 11.2 pounds and has an overall length of 46 inches. Though its muzzle brake and recoil dampening systems negate much of its kick, only experienced shooters can accurately wield its destructive power.
>Noah took two 40-round drums with him as he hurried outside, turning on the holographic sight as he regrouped with Andrew and Leah. He took his place behind the wooden barricades they had hastily set up just a few days ago, kneeling behind the crude wall of bailed-together logs and branches. They were meant to provide protection from projectiles, but they had turned out to be unnecessary in the critter-inhabited woods. The barricades would be of little use against anything that didn't shoot anything - and so far, nothing seemed to do so.
>Far away, the calls of what sounded like wolves grew louder and closer. The three humans scanned the trees and bushes, their sights lined up and ready to fire at whatever would burst through. A distant rustling sound faintly emanated from the woods, and it wasn't long before shrubbery began to rustle and shift in the background of the treeline. Noah gripped his weapon tighter, anxiously waiting for the threat to show itself...
>>
>>29488260

>The first creature was running at full gallop towards the house when it had materialized from behind the bushes, its purple coat covered with blood-red cuts and bits of leaves and branches. A blue one with a rainbow mane soon followed, then an orange one on its heels. Their appearance was so very alien to Noah and Andrew, yet so familiar...
>"DON'T SHOOT!"
>"What do you mean, don't shoot?! They're sprinting at us!"
>The creatures were still about a hundred meters away, but they were closing in fast. Leah didn't have much time to explain what she was thinking.
>"Bags! They're intelligent! Don't shoot!"
>Noah and Andrew looked and noticed the saddlebags each of the aliens were wearing. On top of that, the orange one was wearing...a cowboy hat?
>"Well, what are we supposed to do?"
>To the right of the aliens, some sort of brown canine burst out of the bushes, its predatorial green eyes glowing menacingly.
>Then another burst out, headed straight for the three creatures.
>Then two more.
>Then ten more.
>>
>>29488265

>Noah flipped the fire selector to the three-rectangle setting and pulled the trigger, sending a series of loud booms across the meadow. He held it down as #00 buckshot flew out of the gun with, zooming past the colorful aliens and into the wolf creatures. Instead of blood, splinters broke off of the wolves as each tiny pellet shredded the wooden predators. Andrew soon followed, taking care not to hit the fleeing aliens. Leah slowly and cautiously made her shots at the strange dog-beasts as well, aiming for the center of mass just like how Noah had told her. One by one, the brown wolves fell, their eyes dimming out as they collapsed to the ground.
>The orange creature was the first to fall; one of the canines had caught up to it and pounced onto its prey, taking it down to the ground. Just as it was about to take a chunk out of its victim, Andrew turned and blew its jaw off, then the rest of its skull. Fragments of thick logs and branches chipped off where the bullets struck the wolves, some of which flew into the downed alien. Andrew turned his attention to protecting the injured creature, his rifle cracks and Noah's shotgun blasts almost completely drowned out the softer pops of Leah's weapon.
>Leah had switched from her rifle to a smaller, more controllable submachine gun, and she was able to shoot the incoming beasts at a faster and more accurate rate than before. Though it wasn't as powerful as the other firearms, the 10mm rounds were still deadly enough to quickly dispatch each incoming wolf. She aimed for the wolves that were hunting down the blue alien, taking down the closest ones first.
>>
>>29488274

>Suddenly, one of the beasts swerved horizontally and headed directly for his target, catching Leah off guard. She let off a panicked burst from her weapon just as the blue creature leaped off the ground, its side limbs extending as if to fly. Although Leah had hit the wooden canine, the recoil pulled her muzzle up, causing a bullet to graze the blue alien's side and send it plummeting to the ground.
>Noah cursed as his shotgun's deafening booms was replaced by a dry click. The wolves were slowly gaining ground, and they would soon reach the house. He slid his last drum into his gun as the empty one clanked on the packed earth, pulling the lever back as he watched the last escaping alien turn around and plant its limbs in the dirt. Noah pointed the shotgun at the never-ending horde of wolves - and paused in awe as he watched the thing's head protrusion began to seemingly glow with a bright purple aura. A second later, it pointed the horn at the wooden beasts, a fierce look of determination in its huge eyes.
>An almost ethereal arc of purple light burst out from the alien's horn, quickly spreading across the meadow and into the wolves. It swept up the predators off their feet and flung them back into the trees with such force that most of the beasts shattered on impact with the thick trunks, turning them into kindling. The three human defenders watched in awe as the pulse of what appeared to be raw energy destroyed almost all of the canines, sending the rest of them hastily retreating back into the woods.
>>
>>29488280

>As the arc faded away along with the rest of the wolves, Leah vaulted over the barricades as the purple alien collapsed to the ground, exhausted by the enormous effort her attack had taken. She quickly slung her weapon back over her shoulders as her sneakers trampled the tall grasses in a mad dash to save the injured creatures.
>"Leah, what are you doing?!" Andrew yelled.
>"Saving these things!"
>"What the hell do you mean, saving them?"
>"They're intelligent creatures, Andrew! We can't just leave them injured!"
>"Get back here!"
>"No!"
>She quickly stopped besides one of the hurt aliens and knelt down, barely registering what it resembled. As she scooped the orange creature up in her arms, Noah cursed and jogged over to assist the blue one, dropping his bulky gun as he beckoned for Andrew to follow.
>"You can't be serious, Noah!"
>"For God's sake, just help me!"
>>
>>29488297

>Andrew sighed as he threw his rifle down and ran towards the purple creature. Within two minutes, all three of the humans had managed to lay the three aliens down on the ground, inside their ramshackle home. As the lights cast a different light onto the injured beings, Noah finally noticed the glaring detail that they had all ignored - and choked on his spit as he gasped in shock.
>"Holy crap, you need some water?" Leah asked.
>"Oh my God, look at- COUGH -the aliens, they're, they're freaking HORSES!"
>"What?"
>"Real messed up horses, but look! One of them - IT'S A UNICORN! WHAT THE F-"
>"What are you- Jesus Christ, they really are!"
>As Leah stared at the three small horses lying on the ground, Andrew silently crossed himself with shaky hands. "Ay Dios Mio," he muttered.
>Wherever God was, he sure had a sense of humor.
>>
>>29488300

-William-

>William glared at the displays on his desk with a liter can of energy drink in his left hand, his right hand busy switching between the various cameras that monitored the surface. He had been told by the higher-ups to maintain a sense of professionalism and dignity, but as he watched the incoming influx of military personnel and equipment that evening he couldn't help but down the rest of his drink, sliding the empty aluminum can to the side. Coffee would have been the more "professional" drink of choice, but William would need the slightly sketchy cans of bittersweet "Voltmax Extra Strength" for him to get through the coming weeks.
>Thankfully, the media hadn't reared their heads yet. It would have been a nightmare, dealing with white camera vans and reporters clogging up the two-lane road into the compound. He already had enough on his plate, what with the whole "rebuilding the billion-dollar Portgate in three months" business he had to deal with. Saving the three castaways would probably be a bonus, too - if they weren't dead already.
>Tiredly, William reached into the cooler he had rolled in next to his chair and opened another can of energy drink. He was taking a large draft from the can when the door was nearly kicked open by a man in a lab coat.
>"GOOD NEWS, SIR!"
>>
>>29488306

>William was coughing and spluttering as the man excitedly handed him a sheaf of papers in a manila folder. He managed to compose himself enough to open it and look at the data charts inside of it - and began to choke and cough again.
>"What - cough - does this mean?"
>"Well, sir, about twenty minutes ago, our sensors recorded a huge spike of...something. We aren't quite sure what it is, but it definitely came from the other side of the Portgate. The energy signatures, though a little bit off, were an almost perfect match to the incident's, but this one was much stronger and more pronounced."
>"And?"
>"And that means that our calibration and testing runs are going to take half as long! Before, we would have to manually adjust the Portgate's target coordinates to account for minute shifts in dimensional drift. Now, however, the energy spike has just given us a sort of anchor with which we can find and maintain a wormhole with better accuracy and stability."
>"Anything else?"
>"No, sir. That's all I have. You'll get a more formal report later, once we've fully analyzed the data."
>"Alright. Thank you for this report. It's good to hear some good news every now and then."
>As the man nodded and hurried back out the door, William sighed and leaned back in his swivel chair. He rubbed his face and sighed in a state of both elation and annoyance. Sure, the three months was cut down to two, but that meant more work for him to manage. He was already overworked and overstressed; he didn't know how much more he could take. Ironically, the only things that kept him going at that point was the fear of getting fired and a faint hope for a peaceful retirement. Not exactly the most motivating encouragements.

Now that I've put it in greentext form this chapter kinda looks rushed. I'm tired as heck today so I'll have to fix it later. As for WiK ending his story, I hope I can fill that void after he's done. I'm not the best writer, but I'll definitely try my best.
>>
>>29488359
Don't worry about the WiK thing, you're doing fine. Plus WiK has another story for these threads in the works after Steel Sanctuary
>>
>>29488265
>>"Bags! They're intelligent! Don't shoot!"
That's dumb. You can put bags on a normal horse, doesn't mean its intelligent, just means someone intelligent put them there.
>>
>>29488359
I was wondering if they can speak to eacother, but then remembered Luna could read the periodic table, therefore they can.
Now the shock of a unicorn on top of them speaking the same language should be interesting.
>>
>>29488682
Well, they aren't on Earth though. It would be a safer assumption to think that an alien creature wearing bags/hats would be intelligent until proven otherwise.
>>
>>29488913
he does have a point about bags, but a hat is definitely something you're less likely to see on a pack animal rather than a sapient creature
>>
>>29488682
>>29488913
>>29489695
either way, that horse either is intelligent or belongs to a being that is
regardless, not a good idea to be shooting it
>>
Where humor about lego - phone?
>>
>>29370139
Got some pastebin?
>>
>>29490940
http://pastebin.com/PYUyfYwj
>>
>>29488205
Half-furlong, AKA 16th of a mile, AKA 100 metres. A human can walk that in 20 minutes. I think you made a mistake.
>>
>>29491463
Sorry I mean 20 seconds
>>
Bunsened
>>
>>29490926
???
>>
>>
>>29491463
>>29491468
I feel like a half mile until the clearing would have been better. If they knew they were only a hundred meters until the clearing they were planning to camp at it would make sense to push that extra bit and they still should have had time to set up camp.
>>
>>29488682
Basically what everyone else said already: bags = intelligent beings who made them, which leads to two possibilities:
>they themselves are intelligent creatures
>they have been in contact with intellgent creatures, most likely owned by them
either way, a good idea not to shoot them
>>29488768
New chapter, coming up in two weeks. Until then, stew in impatience
>>29491463
wew, I am a stupid person who thought a furlong was a bit longer than that
it is now a half-league, thanks for pointing that out before I embarrassed myself on FimFic
>>
>>29494579
I don't blame you for the furlong thing. After all who the hell still uses the term in everyday use?
>>
>>29488260
>Firing special 16-gauge

That's pretty tiny...
>>
>>29494579
This is already pointed out here
>>29495263

Gauge actually works in reverse of other measurements the higher the number the smaller the diameter,that's because it's a measurements based on the number of spheres made from a pound of lead so 16 gauge = a 1/16th pound lead sphere.
>>
>>29491291
>http://pastebin.com/PYUyfYwj
Bless you/
>>
>>29495566
This. 16 gauge is smaller than a 12 gauge.
>>
>>29490349
>>
File: 1461798916966.gif (911KB, 171x141px) Image search: [Google]
1461798916966.gif
911KB, 171x141px
>pounds and miles
>>
File: shotgun shells.png (154KB, 808x174px) Image search: [Google]
shotgun shells.png
154KB, 808x174px
>>29494579
To help visualize what the others are saying.
>>
bimp
>>
>>29496144
>>29495566
>>29495263
also who uses 16 gauge these day?
>>
beercans
>>
>>29499670
ratshot revolvers are a thing
>>
>>29500724
16 gauge has a bore diameter of 0.662 inches. You'll have a hard finding a revolver that fits that
>>
>>29496936
they didn't have meters back in ye olde Equæstria
>>29495263
>>29495566
>>29496144
>>29497403
>>29499670
if you were firing 4 shotgun rounds a second, you'd want it to be a bit easier to control
because of >MUH FUTURE, think thinner but longer shells designed for semi-auto/full-auto firing. for future reference, I'm not a big /k/ user but I know enough to not call the cartridges "bullets"
>>
File: aa12.gif (2MB, 370x212px) Image search: [Google]
aa12.gif
2MB, 370x212px
>>29501747
the aa-12 fires 300 12 gauge shells per minute, that's 5 every second. It's so stable you can fire it one handed no problem.
>>
>>29501747
It's easy enough to correct in the paste, don't defend something that was pointed out as dumb, it'll just end up wasting everyone's time.
>>29501892
Related.
>>
>>29501747
>Didnt had meters in ye olde Qestria
>Implying they d even use some human measurements at all
If anything they d measure stuff with 'hooves' and some relative for weight

Ps.: Its still shit
>>
>>29502845
didn't the show give an explicit human/imperial measurement to candy cane poles one episode?
>>
>>29504050
"ten foot candy cane" yep.
>>
>>29504193
Well...i stand corrected

Though it still makes no sense to use 'feet' nor 'metric' there
>>
>>29504936
Technically we could still have different definitions of how long a foot is. Like how a french foot was longer than a english one. Plus who says ponies invented the nomenclature for various measurements instead of some other race
>>
>>
>>29505615
ultimately it's just to simplify writing for kids
>>
lunch break bump
>>
>"Hey Anon"
>you hit the pause button and pull out one of your earbuds as Rainbow Dash fluttered down in front of you
"What's up, Dash?"
>"What's that thing you got in your ear?"
"Oh, this thing?"
>you held up the loose earbud and the small metal-backed rectangle it was connected to.
"I found one of my old MP3 players. There are a few audiobooks on it i forgot i had."
>Rainbow Dash snorts at the word "book"
>"Books? Come on, Anon. That screen's too small to read those books on!"
>Dash already knew about the collection of textbooks you had in your dimensionally-transposed room
>unfortunately so did Twilight, but that's a story for another time
"-Audio- book, Dash. It's pretty much someone reading a book to you."
>another snort from Dash.
>"So you've been sitting here listening to someone read a book -to- you? That sounds like it's for fillies!"
"Oh?"
>you hold up the earbud
"Well, why don't you give it a try?"
>a third snort
>"I've got important things to do, Anon. Besides, I'd rather read a book on my own."
"What, you scared?"
>Rainbow Dash bristles
>"Heck no! Give it here!"
>Rainbow settles down next to you and holds her head up high
>you insert the spare earbud into Rainbow Dash's ear
>the budded pony ear flicks and swivels as it acclimatizes to the new object placed inside it
>"So what happens now?"
>you secure the other earbud in your ear and hit "Play".

*Two Hours Later*

>"...End of Book 1"
>...
>"Hey Anon"
"Yeah, Dash?"
>"...Got book two in there?"
"Sure do."
>...
>"C-can you..."
>you hit "Play."

>such is life in digitalliteraturequestria
>>
>>29508899
Imagine if Anon never got around to getting the other books in the series so RD proverbially blue balled over books
>>
>>29509705
If she did have balls, wouldn't she blueballed all the time?
>>
clumps
>>
>>29509928
you're not wrong
>>
>>29508899
2 hours feels a little short for an audio book
>>
>>29511969
Well a quick google search shows that goosebumps audio books are bit over an hour so it's not the weird.
>>
>>29482698
Tomorrow. It'd be done by now, but turns out curses are real.
>>
>>29513607
You sound surprised; /tg/ and /qst/ have been telling people this for years, thanks to their "QM's curse" but no one ever listens...
>>
>>29513607
Alright, looking forward to it
>>
>>29508899
Brought to you by audible.com
>>
File: woolie in equestria.png (551KB, 1364x2654px) Image search: [Google]
woolie in equestria.png
551KB, 1364x2654px
>>29515435
did somebody say "audible.com"?
>>
>>29516765
>>
Scarecrow
>>
pahe 9
>>
>>29519605
>>
File: 778770.png (472KB, 797x578px) Image search: [Google]
778770.png
472KB, 797x578px
>>29514114
I didn't listen. They warned me about curses and I didn't listen.

I broke one of the rules I'd set for myself in this update. Since this green is supposed to be about ponies and not humans, I've always made it a rule to have the primary focus on the ponies with the humans and other animals just being there to move the story. This has slipped to the side on occasion for a number of reasons, but never to this degree. Ponies barely exist in this post. I was unable to wrap up the human part of the story while framing the events around ponies. You're getting almost pure human in this half of the epilogue. In return I'll try and keep the human to a minimum when I wrap up the pony half of the epilogue.

>You are Anonymous.
>You’re fucked.
>When you detected the spacial anomaly you nearly laughed.
>Just one this time.
>Not two Titans like you fought off last time.
>Just a single invader!
>And unlike before, you were geared for war.
>You’d turned the entire star system into a fortress.
>Every dirty trick you could dream up, all the tools of destruction and mayhem you knew how to make.
>They were walking into a trap that spanned several astronomical units.
>A noose hundreds of millions of kilometers wide that could close in on them at the speed of light.
>Victory was assured, and you were actually happy to see your foe.
>Not because you like dealing with all the repairs they force out of you, of course.
>But because of what you can salvage from their ‘corpses’.
>It took a few days for them to cool off enough to examine last time, but when you did…
>At the heart of each one was a couple kilograms of a strange crystalline substance.
>Despite your best efforts you’ve not managed to identify it.
>As far as you can tell it defies at least three laws of physics in its structure alone.
>That alone would pique your curiosity.
>But more important than that?
>The overwhelming magical power they contain.
>>
>>29520751
>You’re pretty sure you’ve stumbled across the Titan’s power source.
>An arcane battery of course.
>Spike calls them Thaumic cores.
>Luna calls them Demon cores.
>Whatever their name may be, you were eager to get a third one.
>And so you immediately opened fire on the tear in space.
>Sure enough a huge magical force started interfering with your attacks, and the fight was on.
>Things were going well.
>Or so you thought.
>But then light from the battle finally reached you, and you had visuals.
>And it was…
>Different.
>Slightly smaller than before, it’s a bit harder to hit.
>Not that it matters to you.
>You’d never miss such a slow moving target.
>Not while they’re in the same star system at least.
>The changes extend beyond their size.
>Jagged spines poke out all over its body, each and every one of them dripping with the black ichor that melted your arm.
>Stingers?
>And the once gooey innards have been replaced by thick scaly hide.
>It looks almost exactly like dragonhide.
>And unlike Spike’s?
>Your lasers can’t cut it.
>Trillions of watts of pure heat splash off the thing’s flesh without leaving so much as a scorch mark.
>Whatever strange magics flow through these scales make Spike’s look like rice paper.
>You’ll need to rely on heavy weapons to get through, even though it hasn’t started using a shield spell yet.
>But they can’t reach.
>Telekinetic fields are ripping your missiles apart long before they can hit home.
>The monster ejects millions of stingers from its body, propelling them at stunning speeds towards your missile platforms.
>A partial success.
>Only a few thousand of your space stations are struck, but each and every one of them dissolves in the blink of an eye.
>The missiles destabilise and detonate shortly after leaving nothing but heat and light where once there lay massive machines of war.
>Most of your platforms survive and continue to launch antimatter missiles at the invader.
>But it’s not enough.
>>
>>29520757
>It’s nowhere near enough, as far as you can tell you’re not even slowing the invader down.
>If things proceed as they’re going you’re sure to lose.
>Even a stalemate wouldn’t be good enough.
>Already you’re starting to feel the symptoms of magic poisoning.
>Your thoughts are scattered.
>Your vision is dim.
>Just being in the same star system as these things is hazardous to your health.
>But things are about to get much worse.
>Because this time?
>They’re not just destroying your stuff.
>They’re not attacking the sanctuary.
>They’ve found you.
>They’re going straight for you.
>Your moon base is under attack.
>Wave after wave of spells fire out towards you.
>You intercept the bolts of magic with your lasers and missiles.
>You fly drones in to take the hits for you.
>You’re even using a couple shield spells of your own thanks to Spike.
>But even when you block or deflect their attacks, some of the magic still reaches you.
>Not a lot by their standards.
>But enough to damage your body.
>You’re going to need surgery after this.
>If you live.
>Short range teleporters on the planet’s surface finally come online.
>Tears in the fabric of reality pop up all over your opponent and a thick swarm of microscopic drones pour through.
>They swarm the beast and start burrowing deep in its flesh, depositing a wide array of radioactive materials.
>You know next to nothing about their biology.
>But you can’t imagine that a few tonnes of einsteinium won’t cause problems.
>A wave shakes through space-time as the titan forces your portals shut before all the drones can get through.

Fascinating.

>That thought wasn’t your own.
>It wasn’t in English.
>Nor was it in horse.
>That thought transcended language.
>It was a pure, abstract expression of interest.

An impressive feat for one with such weak magic. Were we wrong to purge them? I’ll learn much from this survivor.
>>
>>29520751
>You're getting almost pure human in this half of the epilogue
This is not a problem. Anon is a crucial character in this story. I am just as interested to learn about his struggles as I am other character in your story.
Chill out brotato chip.
>>
>>29520761
>Absolute certainty of safety followed by excitement and curiosity.
>It’s digging around in your fucking head again!
>The Titan stops attacking entirely.
>It just drifts closer and closer to the moon.
>You unload your entire arsenal of negative-mass shells and fill the thing with holes.
>Your laser batteries quickly start to fry up the exposed inner tissues.
>You uncloak some of your newer stations as it draws close.
>They start firing magically charged protons at the monster interfering with its ‘life magic’.
>Spike’s work again.
>And it seems to bear fruit.
>You can see the monster’s flesh rotting before your eyes.

No. Not ours. The wild ones. Yes, that system. On every planet? On fabricated planets? In other systems too! How fascinating.

>It found Earth.
>It dug through your thoughts and found Earth.

So many of them. So mysterious and complex. Must examine personally.

>You’re not worried about that though.
>You needn’t make any attempts to protect Earth.
>You just need to survive.
>Even if it escapes, even if it kills you…
>These things could never stand up to the Terran Armada.

Terran Armada...

>You’re running out of weapons.
>With how many holes you’ve punched in this thing you’re amazed there’s anything left.
>But despite all reason and logic it looks almost totally unharmed.
>The rotten flesh has been absorbed back into its body and replaced with healthy new tissue.
>The wounds shrink into nothingness seconds after you make them.
>As far as you can tell, NOTHING you’ve done has hurt it.
>It shouldn’t be possible to shrug off this much of a beating.
>It shouldn’t be possible for ANYTHING to survive what you’ve done to this thing.
>But magic doesn’t care what you think.

Terran Armada!

>Visions of the incredible starfleet pass before your eyes.
>The interstellar war machines that has devoured entire planets to make its mighty hulls.
>The oldest, best developed military in human history.
>>
>>29520785
>The unstoppable juggernaut that could blow stars apart on a whim.
>The force that transcends nature and toys with the fabric of reality to exert its will.
>An overwhelming wave of abject terror washes over you.
>The old fleet that predates your birth by centuries, the one you’ve known of your whole life, has you paralyzed in terror.
>Why are you scared of it just now?
>Why not back when you lived in its reach?
>Why do you fear it instead of the demon before you?
>No.
>Not you.
>This isn’t your fear.
>The Titan sits frozen in space as you hammer it with a rapidly diminishing stockpile of munitions.
>The Titan is scared.
>It knows about the Terran Armada.
>It has seen a glimpse of a real army.
>And this thing, the monster that seems immune to your best efforts.
>It finally knows fear.
>It springs back to action far too soon.
>A spray of magical bolts spew out from it.
>No, not magic bolts.
>Spike proposed that the spells were being carried through space on matter.
>Small amounts of flesh jettisoned with obscene magical charges to push magic through the void of space.
>It’s a thick spray of meat coming your way.
>You bring your laser batteries to bear on the attack.
>It’s futile.
>A few million targets you could handle.
>This is a few trillion.
>A massive amount of meat even compared to their enormous bodies; there’s hardly anything left.
>You quickly take off abandoning the moon to its fate.
>The rockets on your command pod violently throw you into space.
>Your vision goes black as all your blood is forced into your feet.
>You can’t withstand the force in your already weakened state.
>Consciousness slips from your grasp.
>Several hours pass before you awaken.
>You’ve been moved into an autosurgery pod.
>You’re sweaty despite being cold.
>Your breath is ragged and tense.
>You’re downright terrified.
>Even with sedatives in your system, fear grips you.
>>
>>29520796
>You didn’t just fight an elder god.
>They can’t be real.
>It’s impossible!
>EVERYTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
>And yet, it’s undeniable.
>It happened.
>There’s a creature out there that can eat the full force of your laser batteries without so much as flinching.
>A quick check on your satellite feeds tells you the titan is gone.
>You wish you could convince yourself it was a fever dream.
>But as IMPOSSIBLE as it all should be it definitely happened.
>Their destruction can be seen everywhere.
>Dissolved and destroyed weapons platforms litter the star system.
>At least they’re gone.
>The creature seems to have teleported away after delivering the attack.
>There’s no glowing body. this time it seems to have kept its power supply.
>Maybe it was unconvinced it could keep fighting in its weakened state after spraying its own flesh out at you.
>Maybe it was worried that the armada was coming.
>Maybe it thought it had won?
>Either way it way too close for comfort.
>No two ways about it.
>You got lucky.
>Backup wasn’t coming.
>You were out of firepower.
>And you somehow escaped the final blow.
>Much longer and you’d have died of magical poisoning anyway.
>You check on yourself.
>Lots of problems.
>Lots of necrotic tissue from magical poisoning.
>Your vitals are terrible.
>Especially your heart rate.
>Zero BPM.
>Looks like that’ll need to be replaced.
>Your autosurgery is keeping you alive without much trouble.
>Tissue cultures are already being grown for transplants and grafts.
>Once they’re ready pulse lasers will burn away the dead flesh.
>There’s nothing you can do to help with the process.
>No way to get rid of the proof of your near demise.
>Your helplessness.
>Desperate to find some form of distraction from your sorry state you force your attention on something else.
>>
>>29520805
>But it’s gone.
>Not just the base.
>Nearly a quarter of the moon is gone.
>Not blown apart.
>Not knocked into space.
>GONE.
>Moon horse is going to be pissed.

>Locate [Luna]

>She’s lying on her side at a construction site of some sort.
>Sobbing uncontrollably.
>It was the dark side that got hit. Minus some weaker tides the natives shouldn’t notice a difference.
>It’s the middle of the day too, she shouldn’t be able to see the moon anyway.
>But you’ve no doubt that she knows.
>Many horses have gathered around her, including sun bitch.
>It’s…
>It’s probably best if you leave her alone.
>You instruct your computer network to keep an eye on her for signs of self harm.
>With the immediate threat gone you no longer need to divert all your energy to firepower.
>You go back to charging the gateway.
>The portal home.
>You can’t go through.
>You’ll probably be detained.
>Arrested.
>You’ve got to send a drone instead.
>That way you can shut the portal down at any time if things go sour.
>You REALLY hope it doesn’t come to that.
>Because without some kind of backup, you’re fucked.
>Plain and simple.
>You slowly drift off to sleep as curative drugs fill your system.
>Days pass.
>You’re awoken by a high priority message.
>The gateway is ready.
>There’s a few messages coming from the surface, but they can wait.
>The gateway comes first.
>Down on the planet’s surface beneath the protective dome of the Sanctuary lies your magnum opus.
>The ONE thing you can make that’s considered advanced.
>A fullerene ring exactly ten meters in diameter mounted upon a small pedestal.
>The ring has small grey cylinders mounted periodically along its exterior; rift generators that tear space-time.
>Massive power lines are being removed from each them as they’ve finally charged.
>Once started it’ll take but a trickle charge to hold the rift open.
>Several small antimatter charges have been placed around the frame.
>>
>>29520809
>After quadruple checking your remote detonator to ensure you can destroy it at an instant, you prep a drone.
>Hopefully you won’t need to shut it down.
>And hopefully if you do need it off you can just shut it down instead of blowing it up.
>It’d break your heart to destroy this thing.
>Losing the first one was depressing.
>A marvel of modern science and engineering, one of the most brilliant and expensive devices ever created by man.
>Losing this one would be worse.
>Whereas the other was built by a team using resources harvested by others and century old infrastructure, this one is different.
>Special.
>New.
>You came here with nearly nothing.
>That ring down there was made with YOUR tools.
>YOUR resources.
>It’s YOUR design and calculations.
>In every meaningful sense, that gateway is yours.
>And you’re sure as hell going to blow it up if you have to.
>You’re fucked if you have to fight the Titans on your own.
>That doesn’t begin to describe what will happen if you try to take on humanity.
>You quickly check yourself.
>You’re definitely not presentable.
>Most of your face is still made of blackened, dead flesh.
>Your nose is about to fall off.
>A quick glance down tells you the rest of your body is no better.
>And worst of all?
>Your hair’s fallen out.
>It’s tempting to wait until you’re patched up.
>Sure, they won’t actually see you like this.
>But you’re probably not going to be able to negotiate properly in your drug addled state.
>However, it’s much MORE tempting to not wind up dead by being unprepared.
>It only took one of them to beat you this time.
>And they kept their power supply.
>Who knows how long it’ll take for them to return?
>>
>>29520820
>And what’s to say there won’t be more next time?
>Hell, you’re assuming that this is one of the ones from before in a different form, but for all you know you just saw a fourth.
>You know there are at least three out there.
>But why couldn’t there be billions of them?
>For all you know a hit squad’s coming at you tomorrow.
>Best not stall.

INITIATING STARTUP SEQUENCE

>Bright bolts of lightning arc through the ring as the air ionizes.
>Not an important part of the process, just an inevitable consequence of what you’re doing.
>The bolts grow more frequent and erratic as the rift generators do their work.
>Ripples spread out through space-time.
>Anyone close by could easily see the waves as they disrupt the flow of time.
>The lightning bolts soon start arcing to the ground around them vitrifying small parts of the badlands.
>The distortion in space-time grows stronger and stronger.
>Small localized pockets around the gateway flicker in and out of existence.
>Finally the rift opens and space-time stabilizes.
>But something’s wrong.
>A massive gust of wind shoots into the gateway sucking anything and everything into it.
>Pulling all nearby matter into a perfectly black orb.
>Into nothingness.

“Shut it down!”

>A split second later the blackness winks out of existence.

“This- this can’t be!”

>You checked over the calculations a thousand times.
>You KNOW the coordinates with absolute certainty.
>The rift generators CLEARLY worked!
>And yet?
>That was not Earth.
>That wasn’t ANYWHERE.
>Literally nowhere.
>You tore space-time open.
>But it didn’t bridge anywhere.
>You just made a hole in reality.
>A tear to nowhere outside of the universe.
>To a place where the idea of ‘place’ has no meaning.
>Nobody claims to know what happens there.
>Nobody claims to know if the concept of ‘happening’ even makes sense.

“No…”
>>
>>29520824
>The rift worked.
>But space wasn’t bent.
>Your target destination wasn’t folded into position.
>Which means…
>The bridges- the infrastructure other people were sent out to set up…
>The equipment on other planets littered between here and Earth.
>They aren’t there.
>At least one of the missions failed.
>Spectacularly.
>Those were all supposed to be done centuries ago.
>If it’s not done by now, well…
>The gateway techs are probably dead.
>You’re stuck here.
>The only way home is the slow way.
>And you’re not going to get more than a few light years away before the next attack.
>They’ll find you.
>You’re dead too.
>Did the Titans kill the others?
>No, that doesn’t make sense.
>This one was interested in you.
>It was studying you.
>If they’d found other gateway techs they’d probably already know about the armada.
>That means they didn’t last long enough to attract attention.
>Maybe they were on other inhabited planets?
>Other worlds filled to the brim with conflict?
>Who knows.
>It doesn’t really matter anyway.
>They’re dead.
>And so are you.
>Running is futile.
>But…
>You have to at least try.
>It’s better than waiting to die.
>Those bastards have you beat.
>But that doesn’t mean you need to make it easy on them.
>You’re going to make them work for your blood.
>You’d better issue a warning first.
>The natives are depending on you.
>Even if you don’t owe them anything, you should at least tell them what’s happening.

Contact [Luna]

>”Just what the Tartarus is going on?”

>The words enter your head the instant contact is made.

>”I’ve been trying to get ahold of you for days now!”

>She’s writing the script on a tablet.
>She’s not actually talking.
>But you can still tell she’s frantic.
>Her script is hurried and sloppy.
>You’re pretty sure her hoof is trembling.
>Even days later...

“Titan. I’m sorry. I tried to stop it.”
>>
>>29520834
>”Give me a vehicle.”

>What.

>”It’s still out there. I can feel it. Give me a vehicle! I’m going to go get it!”

>It’s still out there?
>She thinks that the missing chunk of the moon is still out there somewhere.
>How could- no, you’re not going to argue.
>She knows.
>Somehow.

“No.”

>”I’m not asking. Give. Me. A. Vehicle.”

“You’ll never find it. Even if you know where it is, space is too big. You won’t live long enough to reach it. There’s no way to bring enough life support to make a trip that long, and we don’t know enough about your biology to safely store you for a trip like that. And what will you do when you find it? You can’t tow it back here.”

>”I don’t care. Give me a stars damned vehicle!”

>You cut off contact.
>She’s clearly not the right one to talk to right now.
>You’ll have to talk to Spike.
>So the missing chunk of the moon’s still out there…
>They didn’t destroy it, then?
>They stole it.
>Why?
>You’re suddenly reminded of the cells in the Sanctuary that went missing years ago.
>You never did find out where those wound up.
>Did those get stolen too?

“Shit.”

>There’s only one reason you can think of for stealing those machines.
>Study.
>And taking a bite out of the moon?
>Well, there was plenty of stuff to look at there.
>They were probably hoping to grab you with it.
>Next time you run into a Titan they’ll probably have guns.
>Not that it really matters that much.
>You’re outmatched as it is.
>All the more reason to run.
>>
>>29520839
Contact [Spike]

>”Oh, hey. I’ve got some new findings for you.”

>His quest to study magic has yielded mixed results.
>Many spells have been abstracted into a mechanical process and divorced from the mysticism the horses used to describe them.
>But despite his best efforts, even he doesn’t actually have any idea how magic works.
>There are a few laws that simplify things and put a few limits on the seemingly limitless potential of this impossible force.
>But a proper theory of magic still eludes him.
>It seems as though the more he studies it the less he understands it.
>It’s going to be a massive undertaking to try and properly understand magic.
>One that he won’t have a chance to finish.

>”What was with that crazy magic being thrown around a couple days ago?”

“I-”

>What do you say?
>You should have figured this out before you called.
>But it’s too late for that now you suppose.
>It doesn’t matter much anyway.
>There’s no way you could tell him this that wouldn’t crush him.
>There’s no way to spin this bad news.

“I lose. I can’t stop them. My only choice is to run away, and even that’s futile.”

>You don’t know what he’s thinking.
>And you can’t see his face.
>But you don’t need to.
>You know this kid well enough.
>He’s scared.

“You need to abandon your research. Everyone needs to abandon all of my tech entirely.”

>”Not a chance!”
>>
>>29520847
>You knew he’d say something like that.
>Why wouldn’t he?
>You dangled the unimaginable wonders of technology before him only to snatch them away at the last second.
>Promises of a future better than their wildest dreams.
>One in which they weren’t bound by age, disease, or even their own biology.
>You showed them that even a pauper could live like a princess.
>You proved to them that death could be reduced to a minor inconvenience, and that they could tame the world around them.
>And now you’re telling them to give it all up.
>To abandon the only chance they have to escape the savagery of nature.

“I can’t protect you. I lose. They’re more powerful than me, and help isn’t coming. The Titans are interested in my science. If you have what I have, they’ll be interested in you too. Even a simple computer could draw their attention. If you don’t want them to take an interest in you, you need to get rid of everything. Erase all of it.”

>”What about the cyborgs? What about Celestia?”

“Kill them all.”

>A horrible, disgusting thing to say.
>But it’s not like they have much choice.
>Your understanding is that the last thing they want is to be interesting.
>Best case scenario is that the Titans return to feeding on them passively.
>Worst case is that they get involved.
>Because no good ever comes from their touch.

“Celestia can’t survive without her new body, true. She also can’t survive being disassembled for study. There’s no good outcome here. This is time for damage control. Destroy your computers. Smash your power generators. Burn your research notes. All you can hope for is to be forgotten.”

>”And you’re just going to turn tail and run?”

“Damn straight. I can’t stand up to them. All I can do is attract their attention. If I’m lucky they won’t be able to track me. If I’m unlucky? It’s no worse than standing my ground.”

>”What about all that stuff you said about getting help from home?”
>>
>>29520851
“Help’s not coming, Spike. I was relying on others to build parts of the gateway I was making. Without their stuff in other worlds I can’t reach home. It’s impossible.”

>”Impossible? What do you mean impossible? You’re the king of this kind of stuff!”

“Even the king is bound to the board. There’s nothing I can do to reach home, except for going the slow way. It’d take thousands of years to do a round trip, Spike. It’s too slow. I’m sorry.”

>”Then don’t go home. Just invent the weapons they’d have given you! People like you made them, why can’t you?”

“I’m not a soldier Spike. I can’t invent weapons. It’s over.”

>”You can’t invent- so what? You don’t actually create? Is everything you make based on other people’s work? Do you just copy without making any attempt to innovate?”

>Pretty much.
>There are people far smarter than you out there.
>You can’t compete with them.
>Everything’s already been done by people far better than you.
>With quadrillions of humans out there, what could one man hope to accomplish?
>Sure, you can solve minor problems here and there.
>You can tweak designs to fit a different environment and different needs.
>But you’ll never make the best of the best.
>Because in the end, you are just one man.

>”Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and blow them away!”

>Easier said than done.
>You’ve used everything you could think of.
>And that damn thing didn’t even care.

>”Get to work and build up your forces. If you give up now-”

“I can’t stand up to it. Yes, IT! ONE. I can’t- there are others out there.”

>”Then you’d better get to work, because I assure you we have no intention of giving up what you gave us. There is no backup plan, no damage control. You have to win.”
>>
>>29520857
“Don’t you get it you stupid lizard? It’s impossible! There’s nothing I can do.”

>He doesn’t answer for a while.
>You can’t help but regret the words.
>Yes, he’s stupid.
>And he’s also a lizard.
>But that’s not how you should talk to a friend.
>And you can’t help but consider him to be your friend.

>”Stupid lizard? Maybe. Maybe I’m not as smart as you. But I’ve done something you’ve never even tried to do. I’ve invented. I’ve discovered. You just copy. Down here we have to adapt and change all the time. Sure, our efforts don’t amount to much. A steam engine doesn’t match a hypersonic VTOL. But we invented it. It’s our creation. We figured it all out and made it ourselves. I don’t know why you refuse to even try to invent, but whatever the reason may be, we have that on you. In at least one way I’m BETTER than you.”

>He thinks he’s better than you?
>If only he knew.
>If only he had any idea just how bad things really are.

>“You brag about how you were designed to be the ultimate lifeform; how you’re so much better than any un-augmented being could ever hope to be. You’ve got millions of worshippers who believe wholeheartedly that you’re a creator god. But that’s not what I see at all. I see a coward who’s ready to give in at the first sign of trouble. You can run away now knowing that somewhere out there there’s a stupid lizard who’s outperformed you. Or you can stand your ground. I’ve transmitted my latest findings on magic. Make of it what you will.”
>>
>>29520866
>He cuts off contact.
>Did you just get chewed out by Spike?
>What does he know?
>It’s impossible.
>There’s no way you can stand up to those things.
>You know what can and can’t be done.
>And you can’t fight back against enemies that do impossible things.
>Your sciences can’t win this and they can’t get you home.
>It can’t be done.
>Sooner or later, you’re going to be brought down by the monsters that do things your sciences say are impossible.
>Wait.

“God damn I’m stupid.”

>If your sciences don’t hold the answer, maybe magic- maybe the thing that constantly defies explanation and reason, maybe the thing that constantly does the impossible can get you out of this.
>You open Spike’s research logs.
>Huge catalogues of experiments done with the arcane lay before you.
>You don’t understand a lick of it.
>None of this stuff makes any sense to you at all.
>But to the ones who ran the experiments it’s all natural.
>Simple.
>Obvious.
>They assert absurd things as though they were self evident.
>And then they assume you know things that seem insane and arbitrary.
>Is this what moon horse felt when you tried to teach her about robotics?
>If so…
>Then it’s good enough.
>She doesn’t understand how her sister works.
>But she works.
>That’s all that matters.
>You don’t need to understand magic to use it.
>And if his description of teleportation magic is right…
>You can’t use it to go home.
>But with enough power, you could send other things damn near anywhere in the universe.
>Which means you can set up your own bridge!
>You can build your own teleportation infrastructure all from here!

Contact [Spike]

>”Well?”

“I could kiss you right now.”

>”Eww.”

“I could use your help for this one. I don’t want to screw up the magic.”

>”You have a plan?”
>>
>>29520876
“I needed machinery set up on other worlds to help bridge the gap on the way home. It’s not there. I’m going to build it myself and use magic to teleport it into position.”

>”Why not just use magic to teleport the whole way?”

“From what I understand of your notes magic teleportation doesn’t hold a rift open. The target just slips through space somehow. It’d be a one way trip for starters. My methods would let me go back and forth at will for minimal energy expenditure.”

>”I don’t think I understand.”

>He’s confused by your gateway.
>You’re confused by his teleportation spell.
>But between the two of you, you understand how this trick is going to work.
>And that’s good enough.

“Design a spell to drop a sixteen tonne device exactly 200 light years away. I’m going to send coordinates and system specs. Some variation is acceptable, I can reconfigure the gateway if need be, but it has to be pretty close. Can you do it?”

>He doesn’t reply for a while.
>Odds are he’s looking into what you’re asking of him.
>It’s a lot.
>But he’s impressed you before.

>”We’ll need a lot of energy.”

“We have two arcane batteries.”

>”Huh. You know, this might just work. It- you’re asking a lot of me here. I’ve never worked on this scale before.”

“Can you do it?”

>Your computer network goes into overdrive calculating a clusterfuck of incoherent equations.
>You don’t understand a damn thing about what’s going on.
>But whatever he’s doing, the system is producing answers.

>”Absolutely.”

>You’d better get to work too.
>Without a need for rift generators you can get things done pretty quick.
>The ‘bridge’ is a simple device that just bends space, it doesn’t tear it.
>Even so it’ll take a little bit of work to build.
>And you don’t intend to let Spike finish before you do.
>>
>>29520881
One month later.

>A brilliant flash of light fills the Sanctuary as the bridge vanishes from reality.
>An instant later it reappears hundreds of light years away- or so you hope.
>That was the fourth one.
>There were supposed to be five.
>But the closest four weren’t there.
>You had to replace them all.
>Four of the other missions have failed.
>Odds are, four of the other gateway techs are dead.
>Hopefully you don’t need to replace number 5.
>Each time you ask Spike to move another one he grows less and less confident.
>As you tell him to reach further and further through space with rapidly vanishing margins of error, he grows ever more worried.
>You don’t blame him.
>He’s getting a taste of space.
>He’s ‘known’ about the sheer scale of the universe before, but this is his first time actually having to face the incredible vastness of the universe.
>Even you struggle with it sometimes.

>”Looks like it worked. How’s the arcane core?”

“Still potent. Not sure how potent though.”

>Several cells away there is a massive dome held in a perfect vacuum.
>The arcane core sits within suspended electromagnetically.
>All your attempts to measure its power have failed.
>Every time you try you fail.
>Every device either you or Spike design to measure magical energy destroys itself immediately after exposure.
>For all you know you’ve nearly drained it entirely.
>Or maybe you’ve barely scratched the surface of its power.

“Let’s see if this works.”

>The rift generator sets to work again.
>But this time, when the lightning storm is done, when the temporal anomalies fade, when reality stabilizes…
>You see it.
>A large disc of pale light.

“We got it.”

>You can barely believe it.
>It was impossible.
>It couldn’t be done.
>And there it is.

“Spike, I…”

>”Thank me later. For now, go and get what you need.”
>>
File: Venutian flag.jpg (71KB, 800x516px) Image search: [Google]
Venutian flag.jpg
71KB, 800x516px
>>29520885
>He cuts the line.
>You stare at the rift in disbelief.
>It worked.
>Some part of you didn’t believe it would work.
>Hell, most of you didn’t believe it would work.
>But there it is.
>You hurriedly send a drone through, fearful that the universe will notice the mistake and the gateway will close.
>Your specially made drone, a heavily armored tank like machine that carries itself on treads.
>Not the most sophisticated machine.
>But it carries with it a special surprise.
>Something that nobody back home will see coming.
>It can cast spells.
>You drive it through and get confirmation.
>It’s on Earth.
>In what you think might be a quarantine bay.
>A small room made entirely of heavy steel with no visible doorways.
>They’re well hidden, but you’re pretty sure you can see some stationary weapons.
>This thing is a death trap.
>Definitely not the welcome you were expecting.
>But it’s fine.
>They’ve yet to fire on you, and you’re not even there in person anyway.
>Still, you can’t help but wonder.
>What are they afraid of?
>All you can see in the room is a gateway much like the one you made, and eleven screens on the far wall.
>Four of them are lit and displaying flags.
>The first display is blank.
>Second you see a peculiar sight.
>A black snake holding a hand grenade upon a yellow background.
>Inscribed on the flag are the words ‘I swear to god I’ll kill us all if you fuck with me.’
>You’ve no clue to whom that flag belongs.
>Third is the Terran flag.
>A pure white depiction of Earth resting upon a laurel wreath upon a blue background.
>Next are six blank displays.
>Afterwards you see a Centaur holding a plasma rifle rampant upon a black background.
>The centauri flag.
>And finally a pack of wolves baring their teeth as they circle a small star.
>You don’t recognise that one.
>Two new flags.
>And numerous missing ones.
>What happened in the last 800 years?
>>
>>29520890
>The Earth flag is replaced with a face.
>Skin too smooth and hair too silky frame a perfectly symmetrical visage.

>”How did- what? Identify yourself!”

>The voice is a bit too high.
>You’re not sure what this creature is, but it seems humanoid.
>And it apparently represents Earth.

“Gateway Technician Number 7 reporting. What’s with the guns?”

>”How are you here?”

>You don’t particularly feel like explaining the whole thing.
>You don’t know who this person is, and something about this whole scene is making you uneasy.
>Probably best if you dodge the question.

“KOI-3284.01 is an inhabited planet. And it is in peril. We must determine a course of action with all due haste.”

>”It is not our place to interfere with the workings of alien systems.”

>That’s almost exactly what you were expecting them to say.
>You aren’t pleased.
>But they’re just one representative.
>Surely the rest of the interplanetary council will want to weigh in.

“I wish to speak to the rest of the council.”

>”The other two representatives will be unavailable for comment for a few days.”

>Other two?
>But there are three other flags on display.
>Should one of them have been shut down already?
>Or do they not wish to acknowledge one?
>The snake one cuts out, and you see a battered, wizened man with greying hair.
>He looks like his body is falling apart.
>Why?

>”Felicia. When were you going to tell us about this?”

>”It is none of your concern.”

>These two seem to know each other.
>It’s clear already that they’d rather strangle each other than talk.
>But your presence is apparently important enough for them to put that aside.
>For a time.
>>
>>29520903
>”Getting contact from the dead zone is pretty damn important! Nothing we’ve ever sent there has ever been heard from again! And here, we get a gateway to the farthest reaches of that sector? For all we know something dangerous could have leaked through. But you haven’t lit up the quarantine yet. Are you certain this thing isn’t a threat?”

>”I am not.”

“Sorry, did you say Dead Zone?”

>”Indeed. Dozens of your fellow technicians disappeared without a trace, all centered about the same part of space. The Terran Union will be wanting to know how you made it back on your own.”

>Terran Union.
>Not Terran Republic.
>There’s been a change in governance since you left.
>The Armada belonged to the Republic.
>Is it still out there, ready to protect Earth?
>Did it change hands?
>Did it get destroyed?
>No, that’s DEFINITELY impossible.
>You probably shouldn’t pry into that right now.
>It would seem suspicious.
>And you’ve other concerns.
>Dead zone.
>Missing techs.
>They know something dangerous is in your part of space, so they set up a secure location around the gateway.
>The damn fools should have just shut it down.
>These tiny little guns couldn’t phase a titan.
>And this holding cell wouldn’t even slow them for an instant.
>They have no idea what they’re scared of, and they assume it can’t be all that bad.
>They think it’ll play by their rules as everything else has before.
>Luckily for them you’re what came through.
>You’ve no doubt that they could take the Titans down.
>The question is how much damage they could do before that happened.
>And right here on Earth itself?
>No matter how good their response time, there’d be a hell of a lot of damage.
>They shouldn’t let anything from your corner of the galaxy anywhere near Earth.
>Luckily for you, however, they were arrogant.

>”The Free Venutians will be wanting to know how you got back as well.”
>>
>>29520910
>”That information is classified. Sharing it with terrorists will be deemed an act of treason.”

>FREE Venutians?
>Terrorists?
>There’s no way the pathetic spineless drones you knew as Venutians could ever qualify as terrorists.
>You’re not going to tell anyone anything important just yet.
>Not until you know what the hell is going on.

>”What’s your name, boy? Which system did you get sent to?”

“My name is Anonymous. I was sent to prepare KOI-3284.01”

>The old man’s mouth slowly drops.
>He silently rubs his face as a look of disbelief, and anguish washes over him.

>”I owe that bastard 50 exajoules. Hold on.”

>He stands up and walks away from whatever terminal he was at.
>You can faintly hear him yell in the background.

>”Drop! Get over here! Yeah, yeah. I’ll pay you later.”

>”I should warn you that you’re about to meet the leader of the Venutians. They are extremely dangerous and must not be trusted.”

>The soft person speaks firmly.
>They’re absolutely serious about that warning.
>This person is a criminal.
>But if they’re who you think they are, well...

>”And I should warn you that this kid can’t be pushed around. He’s going to do what he wants whether you like it or not.”

>A familiar face comes into view.
>Or at least, half familiar.
>The left half is as you remember.
>The rest has been replaced by purely cybernetic components.
>No effort has been made to maintain a human appearance.
>Instead, it almost looks like great pains have been taken to make this visage look as grotesque as possible.
>There is no synthetic flesh, just the metal framework creating a facsimile of a skeletal structure.
>The jaw hangs loose with black metallic teeth baring to the world.
>The eye socket surrounded by the metal skull hasn’t been filled.
>The man sits at the terminal and flashes a massive shit-eating grin.
>>
>>29520919
“I’ve come to make a plead. KOI-3284.01 is inhabited by a wide variety of sapient creatures. I was given orders to avoid interfering with their natural development, but I don’t believe we can ignore their plight. They need our help.”

>”Sapient?”

>They both seem quite excited about that news.
>You were too at first.

>”We must avoid interaction at all costs! This could be a unique opportunity for study!”

“I’m afraid that isn’t an option. We must intervene immediately.”

>”In what way?”

>The representative of Earth asks the question.
>You’re not sure how to properly explain the situation.
>Just looking at them, they’ve clearly never experienced any discomfort in their life.
>They are one of the softest people in the universe.
>Hell, they probably think talking to you is a great chore.
>Maybe you should start from the top down.
>After all, it’s the most pressing issue.

“Another species from another star system threatens their existence.”

>Both representatives spend a few minutes in thought.
>One comes to a stupid conclusion.
>The other is unsatisfied with what you told them.
>As expected.

>”Our choice is to interfere with the development of one system or the other. There is nothing to be gained from intervention.”

>”I don’t know enough to decide. Tell me a bit about the opposing forces.”

>What to say?
>That one nearly made you shit yourself out of fear while the other can’t seem to decide what their ideals are?
>No, there’s a more elegant way to put it.

“The invading forces are an incredibly powerful species of interstellar beings that seem to be wholly consumed by self interest. They’re hated universally by the natives for their cruelty.”

>”How do you know what the natives think?”
>>
>>29520923
”Representative Felicia, was it? I was stranded on that planet for several years. There has been plenty of time to observe.”

>You didn’t exactly lie.
>You just omitted the part where you talked to the natives.
>And shot them.

“The natives are completely outclassed. They are numerous species many of which I know little about. The ones I have studied however, are desperate. They struggle every day with an untamed planet rife with disease and danger. They toil most of their lives just to sustain themselves. I can’t begin to imagine the pain they endure just living.”

>”If their lives are so miserable why do you wish to protect them?”

>You’re really starting to hate this person.
>But you do have an answer for that, so there’s no reason to give up on talking just yet.
>Even if it is tempting.

“The invaders have a name. It roughly translates to ‘Heavenly being of immense stature.’ Legend has it that they created the world and filled it with life.”

>You’re pretty sure the legend is true, but there’s no need to get into that right now.

“They are blamed for the terrible and brutal nature of the world. The disgusting rules of nature that bind each and every species on that planet. They’re cursed for every disease, every famine, every hardship. But most of all they’re hated for their apathy. For their refusal to intervene and lend assistance. It’s abundantly clear that they COULD make the world a better place. But they refuse. Instead they sit and watch. They do exactly what you propose we do. The natives have a saying. ‘All sapient beings regardless of species, breed, or class, have committed a grievance should they fail to lend aid.’ It rolls off the tongue much better in their language. Regardless of phrasing, I think they’re right. The invaders refuse to help, and so the status quo continues in part because of them. We shouldn’t be like them. We should be better.”
>>
>>29520934
>”If interventionist policies worked, it would be safe to drink the water in Africa.”

>So Africa still sucks?
>You’re not really surprised.
>Just disappointed.

>”Africa is a beautiful continent! Far better than anything on Venus!”

>”At least nobody here has AIDS!”

>Earth’s representative is seething.
>But they don’t offer a rebuttal.

“True. I’m unsure if we can do anything meaningful to aid these creatures. I remain hopeful, but we don’t yet know what they will make of themselves. However, we must at least try. Humanity has encountered another sapient species. Finally, we are no longer alone. But now we must decide. What does it mean to be human? Who shall we be? Will we watch impassively as the tyranny of nature continues? Will we act as guardians to protect the helpless? Will we aid those who cannot aid themselves? Or will we crush them beneath our might? We have many options before us. But I think the choice is clear.”

>”Don’t get involved or you will be branded a traitor to humanity.”

>Fuck Earth.

>”I abstain.”

>What?
>He-
>You were sure that-

>”You can take another crack at convincing me later. For now, though, it’s obvious you’re not telling the whole story. I’m not making any decisions until I know everything.”
>>
>>29520939
>”You mean to tell me the technician is lying to me? Anonymous, I hereby sentence you to ten thousand years of solitary confinement for treason!”

>You’re pretty sure they can’t do that.
>Though something’s clearly wrong with Earth these days.
>Maybe?
>It’s nearly time to act.
>You just need to know a little bit more.

“What’s the relationship between Venus and Earth?”

>”Police drones are on their way to apprehend you You’ll hear no more from me.”

>You ignore Earth.

>”They stay out of our hair or else we unload an arsenal of WMDs and doomsday weapons against every other planet in the system, all of which they claim to own.”

“That explains the flag. So there would be no significant repercussions were I to injure the Representative from Earth?”

>”You’re just making things worse for yourself.”

>”The biggest impact that would have is that I’d laugh my ass off. Perhaps literally, it keeps coming loose.”
>Good enough for you.
>Deep inside your drone mysterious arcane circuits start to glow.
>You’ve studied them.
>You made them yourself.
>And still, their inner workings remain a mystery.
>But that’s okay.
>Because you’ve memorised the instructions.
>Feeling out throughout space you establish a connection with Earth’s representative.
>The charged crystals you brought with you prepare to power your spell.

“Felicia, was it? Take your head out of your ass for a bit. I need to talk to you.”

>You grab their head in a telekinetic field and hold their jaw shut.
>A brilliant green aura of magical energy engulfs their entire body, doubtlessly causing serious damage.
>They’re totally immobilized in your grasp.
>>
>>29520947
“Must feel mighty nice on that high horse of yours passing down judgement. I think it’s time somebody judged you for once.”

>You slam their head into their terminal.
>Repeatedly.

“The time has come to decide what it means to be human. I believe that humans should oppose the savage nature of reality and the cruelty of the universe.”

>You telekinetically punch them in their gut.

“That we should impose civility on the brutish universe and tame the cosmos as we once did Earth.”

>You pick them up by their hair.

“That we should offer charity to those who would take it and friendship to those who are worthy. You, who wouldn’t even consider helping another species, you are subhuman. “

>You let go and drop her on the ground.
>The line goes dead.
>You’re left talking with just one other.
>A man you thought was surely dead.

“Hey, dad.”

>”Good to see you, kid. I told Marty you were too stubborn to die out there. Betting on you was the easiest money I’ve ever made.

>That’s when it hit you.
>He didn’t seem particularly surprised to see you.
>You had to use MAGIC to get home, leaving a place called the ‘dead zone’.
>And he wasn’t even phased when you showed up.
>He knew you’d make it back.
>Somehow, he knew.

>”You’re early. I didn’t think you’d make it home for a few more centuries at least.”

“I could have gotten back much sooner, but I had to rebuild my gateway.”

>”Is that hard? I know next to nothing of warpgate tech, but I do know the other missions failed. How did you set up those bridges that fast?”

>A wireless signal starts broadcasting through the quarantine room.
>It seems to be a file transfer.
>You accept.
>A massive flood of data starts pouring through.
>All of it is encrypted, and you don’t know the key.

“Magic.”

>”Yeah, you’re right. Probably best not to tell me when we’re being spied on.”
>>
>>29520954
>You’re- of course you’re being spied on.
>Why wouldn’t you be.
>Still, that was the truth.

>”You got involved in that world didn’t you?”

>It was a statement more than a question.
>You’re not sure how he knew.

“How-”

>”You said the planet was inhabited and in peril. I know you. You wouldn’t ignore them. If I was in any doubt I would have known for sure when you attacked that bitch. The Terran Union would never forgive you for getting involved, and you knew it. The moment you saw a friendly face you knew it was a waste of time to talk to her.”

>Her?
>Was that a human female?
>You’re not sure you’ve ever seen one before.
>Males and females tend to stay separate for the most part.

>”As fun as that was, she wasn’t one of these invaders you’re talking about. It was wrong of you to take your frustrations out on her.”

“She threatened to arrest me! How is it wrong to smack her around a bit?”

>”Because now they know you have a new kind of weapon. You best hope they don’t figure out how it works.”

“Heh. Not a chance of that. This drone is rigged with explosives to keep them from studying it.”

>After the Titans stole your stuff for study, you’ve learned your lesson.
>It would be better to blow up your kit than it would be to let it get captured.

“Besides. They’d never be able to recharge the power supply. How did you escape?”

>”Plasma bomb. Hard to make those when you’re in the pen, but I found a way. Lost my face for my troubles, but that’s fine. This new face freaks out normies.”

>You suddenly miss your robot arm.

>”We’ll catch up later, you’ve gotta run. You need to shut down the gateway before Earth sends their forces through. The files I just sent you contain coordinates to another gateway on Venus you can use. We’ll start building it right away. Get out of here, kid. The army’s coming for you.”
>>
>>29520968
“Wait! I need help. I’m outmatched. I can’t beat the Titans alone.”

>He lets out a quick chuckle.
>Not exactly what you were expecting given the circumstances.

>”Check the files I sent you. Whatever these things are, I’m sure a couple planet busters will do the trick. Don’t worry. You know the encryption key. Take care, son.”

>The line goes dead.
>You didn’t have time to warn him.
>Although, you ARE being watched.
>Maybe warning Earth is good enough?

“The Titans know where Earth is, and they might be coming. They’re familiar with human biology. In fact, they’ve been using it.”

>Silence.
>You’ll just have to hope that somebody’s paying attention.

“The native species have genetic information lifted straight from our ancestors. Some of them have neural anatomy that’s almost identical. Might as well come clean, you’re on my case anyway. I’ve performed surgery on many of them. Using grafts and designs intended for use on humans. They worked. Not perfectly, but pretty damn well. That’s how similar they are. These Titans know what you’re made of, and they might be coming here. Be ready.”

>Something breaches the quarantine walls.
>You don’t wait to see what it was.
>Your gateway is consumed in a flash of heat and light.
>And with that, you’re cut off from Earth.
>There’s so many things you didn't’ get to say.
>So many questions you didn’t get answered.
>But that’s okay.
>Because somehow, some way, that crazy bastard of a father you have got out of prison.
>And he’s still alive.
>You don’t know how he wound up being in charge of the planet he got arrested on.
>Nor do you know how he got his face ripped apart.
>How he got the schematics for a planet buster, well, that seems perfectly normal for him.
>Once this planet is safe you’re going to get to see him again.
>Assuming you can open the files he sent you.
>Which-
>>
>>29520981
”The hell?”

>To your amazement you’ve already input the key.
>A fixed behaviour pattern?
>Did he wire the key into your genome?
>That absolute madman.
>He left a message for you.

>”Sorry to cut this short, but the Terran police force is coming for you, and knowing you, your weapons suck. You can’t handle them. I have no idea how you managed to teleport that drone home. I’ve never studied that stuff, but I’ve been assured by clever people that it’s impossible. And that weapon you used against felicia, well, I know for a fact that that’s impossible. And yet there it is.”

>Impossible.
>That word is finally starting to lease its meaning to you.
>The reality of magic is finally starting to sink in.

>”You’re probably wondering what happened while you were gone. How I and my convict buddies managed to conquer Venus. I’ll tell you all about it right as soon as you tell me about your exploits. When you get back home I’m going to mock you relentlessly. I’ll make fun of all your decisions and designs, especially the weapons. This is a side of me you might not be familiar with. You were just a stupid kid last time I saw you. Mockery is how I treat people I admire. It’s easier for me to poke at their weak points than it is to acknowledge their superiority.”

>Superiority?
>Did he just say…
>>
>>29520997
>”As embarrassing as it must be to come crying to daddy because you can’t make a good enough gun, and as retarded as you must feel for not bringing a gun with you when you left home? You should hold your head high. I’m not just talking about how you did the impossible. I’ll hold judgement on that until I know how it works. There’s something else you’ve done that’s worthy of praise. The fact of the matter is that you weren’t sent with the resources to build the drone you sent through your gateway, were you? You made that yourself. And you said you had to rebuild your gateway. You did it with your own resources and your own tools. You took an untamed world and made it your bitch, didn’t you? I couldn’t have done that. I’m damn proud of you, kid. Now get out there and show those aliens bastards what you’re made of. Coordinates follow.”

>You’re sure as hell making a third gateway so you can go home.
>But first?
>It’s time to see how Titans handle doomsday devices.
>How they react to the designs of one of the greatest military minds in human history.
>It’s time to see what your father’s designs can do.
>>
>>29521002
That's it. I don't like this one because it's got too much human in it. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm here for the ponies. As >>29520772 said, though, Anon was an important character and his arc needed to be concluded. A human heavy post was inevitable.

Yeah, I couldn’t tie things up how I wanted. As predicted the epilogue is being cut in half.

As I’m sure you’ve noticed by now I’m going for an open ending. There are a number of reasons for this, but at its heart it’s because this green is already way too long. I could write another hundred thousand words about Anon’s dad. I could write a hundred thousand explaining the politics of the sol system over the last 800 years. I could write half a million words about the other gateway technicians. None of these things are particularly important. At present, the longest story in Fimfiction is ‘The Chase’ which is sitting at 2.3 million words and counting. If I don’t cut this off at some point it will go down the same path and eventually become a bloated wreck, assuming that hasn’t happened already. It’s far better to leave things on the periphery unexplored than it is to dilute the story with unending diversion.
I think I prefer to have the Titans and Humanity left as a little mysterious anyway. By exploring their capabilities and defining their limits we put a hard stop on what magic and machinery can do. This would run contrary to one of the messages I want Celestia to deliver in the pony based epilogue. The question then isn’t if I omitted anything relevant to the setting. The question is if I skipped the right things. Did I leave out anything you think I should have included? Did I cover something you think would have been best left out? Please give me your thoughts on this.
>>
>>29521031
It feels odd to think of this story as almost over. I guess I just got used to thinking about how there's always an another update. Now there's only one more. Unless the curse strikes back
>>
>>29521031
MOAR
>>
Story was a smooth transition between past and present except the standardization of magic which feels a little odd.
also
>>29521661
>>
>>29521031
I think the best part is what you chose to skip. We have a good idea of what anon and the ponies can do. When that involves throwing antimatter around and calling down meteor storms it's all quite impressive. But you still manage to make them seem small, like the superhuman with seemingly endless energy and millions of space stations is somehow the underdog. The first Titan was a baby and it was hard fought. The next two appearently weren't expecting a fight and they still broke nearly everything. The third stopped fighting to try and study it's opponent and still crushed them without even trying. Anon the impossibly OP character is vulnerable on his own, and you get that idea across without saying what Titans can actually do when they exert themselves. And then they're terrified when they learn of humanity. It's almost like our protagonist was a 5 year old cripple being picked on by the school bully, if the cripples father later turned out to be the entire US army.
The scene you built makes them all seem so much bigger than words could convey. I'm sure that if you tried to explain how dangerous these forces were it would fall flat compared to this. All because you let us fill in the blanks.
>>
>>29521834
Hrm. You have a point. Oh well, I should be able to fix that easy enough when we're covering what Spike's been up to. It probably wouldn't have been so bad but I seem to have forgotten to say how long it's been. This is supposed to take place 3 years after the previous update, which gives some time to figure things out. I'll have to work that in somehow.

>>29521998
One of the many things I've learned over the course of this project is that the reader's imagination will generally do a better job than I can. It's tricky to use this fact, though. One must provide enough information to grab the reader's interest, then also direct their attention to what they should be dreaming up themselves. Finally, they need to have the right clues to draw the right conclusion, all without actually filling in the detail you wanted them to fill in on their own in the first place. Add to that that every reader is different, I have zero input from the bulk of my audience, and that I'm working with details that I wrote months ago and it becomes a very delicate balancing act.
I'm not sure how often I'll try to do stuff like that. It's too dicey and quite hard to pull off. But I'm glad that it apparently worked out this time.
>>
>>29521661
>>29521834
you'll probably have to wait until the next thread for the final update
>>
ayy droidanon whens the next update
>>
File: Langoliers.gif (4MB, 402x305px) Image search: [Google]
Langoliers.gif
4MB, 402x305px
>>29521031
>It’s time to see how Titans handle doomsday devices.
>How they react to the designs of one of the greatest military minds in human history.
>It’s time to see what your father’s designs can do.

When i think about advanced weapons i think about use of some true vacuum and portals to bad places, think of a drone that look like 3D fractal and acts like langolier.
>>
>>29524429

He had posted a mini pastebin of his ramblings of what their advanced weaponry was a few threads ago.

All I was able to decipher out of it was like you said. Sending explosives through portols and into enemy territory.

Mind posting that again WiK?
>>
>>29524392
>>
>>29491291
Wew. Just finished reading what was there of this. That got uncomfy quick. That entire torture section kinda ruined the comfy that was going for it. Now its just suffering.
>>
>>29521031
>Did I leave out anything you think I should have included?
More on Spikes research into arcane could have been nice, how much and how I have no idea.

>That's it. I don't like this one because it's got too much human in it.
This really needed to happen. It was nice way to end Anons side of story. More ponies would not have made it better, showing how removing part of the moon affected Luna from her perspective (if written) would be best served on separate chapter/post/update.
>>
>>29524429
I dunno, man. Sufficiently advanced weapons wouldn't even look like anything. You'd just press a button and everything would die. Why waste energy with anything else?
>>
>>29525867
because it's FUN
>>
Did someone said FUN?

!!!PULL THE LEVER!!!
>>
>>29524554
I deleted that because it was abhorrently written. Here's one that's less embarrassing.
http://pastebin.com/J8Tq5AsG

>>29525492
I'll be sure to try and fit both those things in the pony epilogue. Thank you.
>>
>>29520820
saongebob
>>
>>29526448
this guy gets it
>>
>>29526448
>>29527600
>Twilight smiled politely at the mayor of Forestcoats, the confusingly named dwarf fortress.
"So, Urist, what is it you're hoping to achieve here?"
>The dwarven settlement had appeared a year or so ago, and from its seven founders had grown to a community over 200 strong
>While it was technically outside of Equestria's borders, Celestia was concerned about its potential as a military outpost. While Twilight had seen a reasonably well equipped militia, they'd seemed friendly and cheerful.
>She didn't think this place was a threat
>"Well Princess, we founded this place in the most noble of all pursuits... exploring !!SCIENCE!!"
>Twilight blinked
"Science?"
>"No, !!SCIENCE!!"
>For some reason, the mayor was shouting the word. Twilight tried her best to imitate it
"SCIENCE!"
>"Eh, close enough."
>Twilight was being given a full tour of the outpost. Urist led her past a grand dining room. Rows of well made chairs and tables, encrusted with precious gems, nestled between the marble walls. The walls were covered with intricate engravings of... well, they looked mostly like cheese, with the occasional gory depiction of a goblin being dismembered with an onlooking dwarf laughing
>A dozen dwarves were clustered around one particular chair, 'ooo'ing and 'aah'ing
>"'Ave ye ever seen such craftsdwarfship?"
>"This is a masterfully crafted marble throne, it menaces with spikes of gabbro!"
>"It's so tastefully arranged!"
>Twilight was struck again by how... bizarre these dwarves were.
>She managed to wrench her gaze from the strange scene as the mayor continued his stroll down the corridor.
>With a trot, she caught back up with him
"I'm actually a bit of an amateur scientist myself!"
>"Oh, you are!? Well, I was going to show you our extensive alcohol stockpile, but we can skip that and I could take you to the labs, if you'd like."
>This was Twilight's chance to snoop, to find out the exact nature of this outpost.
>Plus she liked science.
"That would be great!"
>>
>>29521031
I started reading because I was a fan of the HFY.
When the story started to move away from that and more towards the ponies I was losing interest.
This was single handedly one of the better sections IMO since the first titan attack.
I feel it would be a shame to end the story without getting a bit more Anon HFY.
Personally, I think I nice place to end would be with a brief catchup with Dadanon after the final fight with the titans.
>>
>9
>>
>>29529119
>>
>>
>>29479047
Nice. I've been waiting for this story to be updated.
>>
>>29527845

>Equestria was drowned in hot flaming magma faster than generic dwarf can say "NVIDIA GeForce GTX".
>>
>>29527845
this can only end in tears
>>
>>29530806
too bad you'll have to wait another 3 months for the next update
>>
>>29520890
Turkleton
>>
>>29533497
pg.8
>>
>>29527845
you going to continue this?
>>
File: BIV.jpg (285KB, 850x754px) Image search: [Google]
BIV.jpg
285KB, 850x754px
pasta updated:
http://pastebin.com/pKVfQaXt
>>
>>29535487
just curious but any idea when the next update is
>>
>>29364451
lets be honest here.Ya boi Stephen would be getting all that pony puusy.
>>
>>29530698
WHY THE FUCK IS SHIT HOLDING HER FUCKING NOSE OVER A BUBBLING ORANGE EXPLOSIVE CHEMICAL EMOTTING A FUCKING NEON-ORANGE GAS? DOES SHE WANT TO FUCKING DIE?
HOLY FUCK APPLEBLOOM WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOUR PARENTS?
>>
b
>>
File: snowdrop psa.png (36KB, 1234x1150px) Image search: [Google]
snowdrop psa.png
36KB, 1234x1150px
>>29536902
She clearly never paid any attention to those safety posters in class
>>
the weenie inside!
>>
electrocuter
>>
>>29538413
>>
File: DEKSER.jpg (19KB, 351x351px) Image search: [Google]
DEKSER.jpg
19KB, 351x351px
>>29536561
soon
>>
File: IMG_1464.jpg (88KB, 659x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1464.jpg
88KB, 659x1024px
>>29540962
excellent
>>
I have a question:

What happens when a particles or other matter hits a stasis field?

Does it bounces off or it get stuck?

If it get stuck, wouldn't that mean that if you would hold stasis field field for a prolonged period of time and release it after that, that will emit all that particles and background radiation in one short burst all at once?
>>
>>29542504
That's the same possible side affect that the alcubierre drive has, you know.

Travel through space long enough and so much matter gets trapped in your collapsed bubble front that once the drive shuts down, you have several thousand tons of matter shooting out at an appreciable fraction of the speed of light in all directions in front of you.
>>
>>29542964

So it would be like "Kzinti Lesson" all over again?
>>
File: 1481135615571.png (7KB, 485x435px) Image search: [Google]
1481135615571.png
7KB, 485x435px
>>29543135
Except for the fact that it cannot be controlled.

You'd generally want to enter a star system at an odd angle to avoid accidentally sterilizing a colony world.
>>
>>29543187

Or avoid flying for too long, the same effect can cause the back hole to form on the front of the ship.
>>
>>29543216
Hm. Fair point.

Also, is it just me, or did all of the images near the top of the thread just 404?
>>
>>29543267
They all did. Not just you.
>>
>>29543297
I noticed several other threads that had the same thing happening.
This site is going down fast, is it not?
>>
>>29543305
hopefully it doesn't die
>>
>>29544222

What about this thread?

It is almost at it`s limit.
>>
>>29544789
We make a new thread after the bump limit is reached and this thread is on the final few pages
>>
uLTRASOUNDED
>>
Perish.
>>
New Thread: >>29546217
Thread posts: 474
Thread images: 98

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.