[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WHY IS THE JAPANESE TRACK SO FUCKING BAD AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 9

File: 548.jpg (35KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
548.jpg
35KB, 640x480px
WHY IS THE JAPANESE TRACK SO FUCKING BAD AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
I've never actually watched Bebop subbed before, so I can't comment.
Because Cowboy Bebop is the one true example of a perfect dub.
>>
Not really, it's just really hard to adjust to hearing anything but Steve Blum's voice come out of Spike. Give it a few episodes.
>>
>>13859462
I just finished watching Bebop for the first time
fuck, why is it so good?
>>
>>13859506
Oh good neo-/m/ is here.
>>
>>13859513
No it's actually the opposite, only newfags (also known as redditors) would like dubs, so kindly fuck off to your hugbox.
>>
>>13859517
>nips
>capable of acting that isn't absurdly ham-fisted
Top keke.
>>
Cowboy Plebop is bad in all languages.
>>
What is the best episode and why is it Cowboy Funk?
>>
>>13859525
As bad as the original source is, it's 100000000 times better than a dub, so eat shit and fuck off to le frontpage of the internet xD
>>
File: loco.jpg (22KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
loco.jpg
22KB, 300x300px
This show aired subbed on based Locomotion 15-ish years ago, along with some others like Blue Seed, Eat-Man and Cyberteam in Akihabara. First few anime I ever watched in Japanese.

Never wanted to be a peasant again.
>>
>>13859555
Gross.
>>
the jap audio is a little bit better than the english dub and in some cases (Faye's VA) much better /weeb
>>
>>13859562
Still better than watching dubs
>>
>C-list american VAs
>A-list anime VAs
hmm
>>
Boy, I sure love this meme of hating the Bebop dub now.
>>
>>13859555
>bragging about watching Cyberteam in Akihabara
wew
>>
File: 1407336432722.jpg (761KB, 2589x1869px) Image search: [Google]
1407336432722.jpg
761KB, 2589x1869px
>>13859462
>>Wendee Lee better than Megumi Hayashibara

toppest of keks and zozzles.
>>
>>13859583
>having good taste is now a meme
I love dubfags
Oh wait I don't, they're fucking idiots.
>>
>>13859602
Can we agree that Beau Billingslea was great as Jet at least?
>>
Stop replying to him, it's embarrassing.

My opinion on dubs is that you will never be able to fully appreciate the Japanese track if you don't speak it, so theoretically with a perfectly translated and nuanced script an English dub has the advantage. However western dub actors are basically dog shit, (don't know why more regular cartoon voices don't try to get into it and save us from Vic McNignognoya's acting role #374062, they sound fine and I'd bet most have the range not to sound like their lolrandum character they usually play) and lots of dubs have too literal or too liberal scripts. The difference is great enough that missing out of a few subtleties of Japanese is preferable because you still have emotive, ranged voices and not as much overacting, and the English actors aren't subtle enough to add that kind of depth to a performance anyway. Cowboy Bebop is a good example of what happens when you put effort into a production. I think it's better than the Japanese but is unfortunately one of the very few things to ever have that title. Dubs are shit because 99% of them are shit, not because there is anything inherently wrong with them.
>>
>>13859632
>don't know why more regular cartoon voices don't try to get into it

Streamline used to do that pretty frequently.

I think these days anime dubbing is far too insular and not well paying enough for voice actors in American cartoons.
>>
>>13859631
Actually I like both tracks, each has their strengths. I like the Japanese Faye and Ed better and the English Spike and Jet.
>>
>>13859656
Nowadays Studiopolis and to a much lesser extent NYAV Post do this as well, and it shows because they usually put out top tier stuff.

It's really a matter of how much effort is put into it than who's necessarily in it though. Look at Funimation and Bang Zoom (both of which have a very insular set of regulars), the quality between the dubs where they give two shits and the dubs where they phone it in are like night and day.
>>
>>13859517
>Do I fit in yet guys?
>>
>>13859684
Honestly, I can't even remember the last time I bothered with a dub by Funi or Bang Zoom.
>>
Only newfag crossboarders from /a/ watch bebop in japanese. Spike and Faye's seiyu are somewhat poor casting choices whereas the English VAs fit the characters very well. I watch every other anime in Japanese but I compared the Bebop audio tracks when I went out to watch it to see what the big deal was, and it turns out it was a good decision. I've compared audio for many shows but bebop is the only one where I went with English. Hell even my Japanese friends watch bebop in english.
>>
>>13859847
dumb charposter
>>
File: 1267054982167.jpg (29KB, 349x413px) Image search: [Google]
1267054982167.jpg
29KB, 349x413px
>all these newfags who don't know /m/ has historically been pretty neutral on dub vs. sub
>>
>>13859809
>Spike and Faye's seiyu are somewhat poor casting choices
I haven't watched CB in years but I don't remember Yamadera or Hayashibara putting out bad performances.
I don't favor CB's dub or sub more, but I find that a lot of casual fans will overwhelmingly prefer the dub of a series with lots of western influence (Baccano, Panty and Stocking, Hellsing) and put it on a pedestal.
>>
>>13859506
No, anon. Bebop is one of the few animes where the dub sounds just as good as the original.

Watching dubs of something like FMA is just fucking painful.
>>
>>13859876
I've been here since 2006 and there has never, ever been a consensus on basically anything.
>>
I recently got around to watching Bebop in Japanese thanks to the BDs, and prefer it to the English dub. I wouldn't stop anyone from watching it dubbed, but I was honestly surprised how much more I enjoyed it. There's no turning back now.

Now I need to watch Big O in Japanese, just to see.
>>
>>13859922
Has "sub vs dub" threads always been such a cancerous cringe inducing endeavor, or was it ever sensible?
>>
Is no one going to mention the real tragedy of this thread that OP is watching the old dvd rips?
>>
I watched both Big O and Cowboy Bebop in Japanese. Have I sinned? I always think subs > dubs.
>>
>>13860402
Who gives a shit?
>>
>>13859517
Oh god shut the fuck up dude.

Dubs or subs does not matter, you're getting the same show, just different actors .
Unless it's one of the very rare cases where the dub ia truly unbearable.
>>
>>13859876
well most of us got our mecha cherries popped with hk tier dubs so we can stomach anything.
>>
>>13860402
Sinned? no. Missed out? Debatable. I think both Jap and English audio for Bebop is great. Big O on the other hand i can't stand subbed.
>>
>>13860438
>Big O on the other hand i can't stand subbed.

How could you hate Hochu Otsuka as Beck?
>>
>>13860085
Always cancerous.
Nobody who actually argues about it has an opinion that isn't hyper polar, so as a result the arguing is very cringeworthy. It's like the PC vs Console arguing on /v/ or YouTube or anywhere gaming culture exists. Each side's vocal members are fucking obnoxious.
I watch dubs and subs, sometimes ones better than the other or i have an attachment to one or the other.
>>
Putting aside usual dub vs. sub wankery, I can't believe there are people who watch Black Lagoon anything but subbed.
>>
>>13860467
>putting aside the thing I'm about to bring up I can't believe there are people who watch non-/m/ show with a generally well liked dub anything but subbed
Shit son, you can't just jump full force into fishing for (You)s like that. You have to start subtle, like mentioning Macross but replacing "Hikaru" with "Rick".

Sub Remy is a tad too soft for my liking
>>
>>13860398
The real tragedy is that he is watching this shitty show rather then G-reco.
>>
>>13859548
No
>>
>>13860467

Black Lagoon is a hell of alot better when they're actually talking and cussing like actual thieves and criminals do as opposed to whatever they hell they're doing in the Japanese version.

Japanese cursing is so fucking lame. It's not even worth bothering.
>>
>>13859506
you're trying to hard

everyone knows the Bebop dub is objectively better
>>
Also the Japanese dub of RWBY isn't actually all that bad (they don't nail the jokes as well is all). So the original language is the only good version is bullshit.
>>
>>13860584
You have to be over 18 to browse this site
>>
>>13859505
Timing and pace.
>>
>>13859506
/a/ you're drunk, go home.
>>
>>13859462
The French dub is perfect, the best I've ever heard on an anime serie
>>
>>13859922
Even if you are the single guy who dislikes or likes something you can effectively sameshitpost enough even with the 60 second timer to make it look like /m/ hates something.
>>
>>13859517

snapshit please put your trip back on

you're so obvious btw
>>
>>13859540
God tier:
>The Real Folk Blues Part 2
>Speak Like A Child
>Cowboy Funk
>Pierrot Le Fou
>Black Dog Serenade
>Hard Luck Woman

Great tier:
>Heavy Metal Queen
>Toys In The Attic
>Mushroom Samba
>Brain Scratch
>Jupiter Jazz Part 2
>The Real Folk Blues Part 1
>Wild Horses

Good tier:
>Boogie Woogie Feng Shui
>My Funny Valentine
>Jamming With Edward
>Jupiter Jazz Part 1
>Ballad of Fallen Angels

Okay tier:
>everything else
>>
>>13859684
Funi's half-assed dubs like Keroro are lightyears better than their high-profile dubs like NGE or DBZ. The only exceptions I can think of came out 15 years ago or are comedy shows.
>>
>>13860898
>No "Gotta Knock a Little Harder"

Or did you just not include tracks from the movie?
>>
>>13860909
>tracks
That's an episode list, friendo.
>>
>>13860906
The NGE dub was originally an ADV dub, and it's the most terrible ear-piercing shitty thing ever. Hearing Dub Asuka makes me want to die.
>>
>>13860913
>Hearing Dub Asuka makes me want to die.
Hearing any Asuka makes me angry, but the dub is particularly awful about it. I'm not entirely sure why, either; her VA did a pretty good job in some of her other work (Nadesico comes to mind).
>>
>>13860923
I think it's her screechy hammy voice that just makes you want to bend her spine the wrong way.
>>
>>13860923
>Nadesico dub
>good
NGE was better.
EoE's dub starts off awful but Misato's death scene is fantastic.
Rebuild dubs are the same actors so I don't know why they're so awful.
>>
>>13860932

I like it. It makes her seem like she's this horrible bitch and you shouldn't like her, where as JP Asuka has the typical tsundere voice that most people tend to blow off because "Oh ho she's mean to him how cute"
>>
>>13860933
Maybe they realized that they were dubbing a more serious dramatic work and thus stopped putting on such an exaggerated performance.
>>
>>13860933
>Nadesico dub
>good

It really wasn't, alot of voices were terrible. But on the other hand I actually laughed at some of the delivery of the jokes, where as I never ever laugh at any lines in Japanese. Just the way they speak never registers as something that's supposed to be funny.
>>
I find that people who like dubs tend to ignore how terrible all of the non-main character voices are.
>>
>>13860961
>I find that people who like dubs tend to
The problem here is that you're pretending like you either "like dubs" or "hate dubs," which is really inconvenient when most people on 4chan only like specific dubs as opposed to watching anime dubbed as a rule.
>>
>>13860961
Usually it's the opposite, actually, where the non-main characters are fucking fantastic while the protagonists are awful. Eureka 7, Gundam 00, Xam'd, Count of Monte Cristo, Dunbine and King Gainer are some good examples that come to mind.
>>
>>13860970
>The problem here is that you're pretending like you either "like dubs" or "hate dubs,"
No, I'm not.

>>13860984
You're right. They usually hire good VAs for side characters and shitty VAs for main characters. No you fucking retard, that's not how it works.
>>
File: 1454976514318.png (53KB, 200x241px) Image search: [Google]
1454976514318.png
53KB, 200x241px
>>13860913
I actually don't mind dub Rei and Misato. In fact i like them just as much as the original VA's.
Gendo is pretty good too
>>
>>13861010
>They usually hire good VAs for side characters and shitty VAs for main characters. No you fucking retard, that's not how it works.
That's exactly how it is usually, actually. Main characters are usually shitty entrenched dub actors while side characters are people that actually get VA work outside of anime and aren't pre-jaded with their work so they don't phoneit in as hard as the main character VAs.
>>
>>13860970
>>13860984
>>13861010
I think usually you are swayed by what you hear first. The only anime I've seen first dub-only was Last Exile and I still kinda find that dub to be alright, because at least the male lead doesn't sound like a fat woman.
>>
File: 1391817872037.gif (939KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
1391817872037.gif
939KB, 500x275px
>>13860913
I've always held the belief that the Eva dub is actually really well cast voice-wise but severely suffers from really shitty direction that scrubs away all the sublety of the Japanese track's character interactions and instead trys and fails to bring those subleties to the surface, making the whole thing really overacted. On the flip side of that however, since it was dubbed in chunks as the VHS's came out instead of all at once it's fascinating to hear how much the VA's acting ability improved by the end of the show. I also appreciate that Tiffany Grant's German isn't butchered as fuck unlike Yuko Miyamura's. EoE's dub is an absolute failure though, they were given way too much creative control which resulted in a shitty script and the ever infamous *watermelon splat*. The only thing worthwhile about it is it gave us "I'm so fucked up". Rebuild (1.11 and 2.22 anyways, you couldn't pay me to watch 3.33 again) suffers from these problems considerably less, partly because the actors have improved over the years and partly because Rebuild isn't terribly subtle to begin with.
>>
>>13861087
>EoE's dub is an absolute failure though, they were given way too much creative control which resulted in a shitty script and the ever infamous *watermelon splat*.
EoE's dub was literally done start to finish in like 72 hours. Some VAs recorded their lines over the phone.
>>
iirc I've heard from whatsherface who voiced Dub Julia from Bebop and Yulia from Fist of the North Star Dub (she was also the Major in something I think) a big behind-the-scenes aspect of the dub is the directing and how much time they have for multiple takes, that you'll get very different results from even the same actors if they're working under a different director who's not as skilled at giving character motivations and stuff, and if there's no time allotted for retakes and stuff it'll hurt things a lot more
>>
>>13861093
Literal phone or over an ISDN line? because the latter wasn't really uncommon back then, let you record in CD-ish quality, that's how Frank Oz recorded is lines for Yoda in Attack of the Clones.
>>
>>13859462
Not /m/
>>>/a/
>>
>>13861103
Yeah, time definitely plays a big part. That's why Animaze and Coastal Carolina (guys who did Blue Sub No. 6) died, they spent the time to get each take right but since time is money that meant they were too expensive.
>>
>>13860597
>Watching RWBY at all
>>
>>13860597
>Also the Japanese dub of RWBY isn't actually all that bad (they don't nail the jokes as well is all).
Neither do the English cast.
>>
If American anime VAs are so decent, then why don't they any voice work outside of low budget localizations
>>
>>13861340
they're not SAG and because celeb voice casts
>>
>>13859506
Dude, the CREATOR thinks the dub is better
>>
>>13859462
Preposterous. I literally never encountered an anime where voice acting would be low-quality enough to break my immersion, there poorly drawn shows or unremarkable music, but bad voice acting? Nope,never. The standards are pretty high, plus they record everything in the same room.
>>
File: 1455001556917.jpg (209KB, 500x552px) Image search: [Google]
1455001556917.jpg
209KB, 500x552px
Whenever someone says that they prefer Bebop's map audio over the dub, I immediately start assuming the worst about them.

There are some facts of life that cannot be argued, and one of them is that Bebop's dub is by far the superior audio track.
>>
>>13861452
>There are some facts of life that cannot be argued
Anon, this is 4chan. EVERYTHING can - and will - be argued.
>>
>>13859473
this tbqh famm
>>
>>13861452
>dubs
>good
Fuck off reddit
>>
>>13859611
You misunderstand. I love this meme. Love it. Can't you tell?
>>
>>13861010
>You're right. They usually hire good VAs for side characters and shitty VAs for main characters. No you fucking retard, that's not how it works.
Are you an idiot? Have you even seen/heard the examples I gave? Johnny Young Busch is a great Power Rangers but his kid voice is fucking annoying, and it just so happens he mainly voices kids. Most protagonists in mecha shows are young, while side characters are usually older in age, so the actors actually fit the role. It's not about a "good VA" versus a "shitty VA", there's no such thing - it's about how well they sound like the characters they portray.
>>
File: 2436639608_5e2e75aceb_z.jpg (58KB, 500x329px) Image search: [Google]
2436639608_5e2e75aceb_z.jpg
58KB, 500x329px
BEST track reporting in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA4P1A3jtu0
>>
>>13860898
>Great tier
>Toys in The Attic

Fuck that, that should get its own "SPOOKY" tier. That episode was a trip.
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.