[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So i started watching eva finally, on episode 20, and only now

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 20

File: tumblr_mvymldOpcU1slvqiko2_500.gif (524KB, 500x212px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mvymldOpcU1slvqiko2_500.gif
524KB, 500x212px
So i started watching eva finally, on episode 20, and only now am i realizing how much other stuff was influenced by it (or flat out copied).

And here I was thinking every mecha series ever was just Gundam Wing. Like my entire life i'd thought that and was prejudiced against anything giant robot related just because i thought it was stupid babby shit like i watched when i was a kid.

My bad /m/. My bad.
>>
>>13837605
>inb4 eva influenced nothing and rahxephon and fafner are nothing like it
>>
Stop baiting. Evangelion copies everything from something else. And no, Evafags, don't get mad about it.
>>
>>13837605
oh fuck

i just went down the front page, i've been on this board like twice in a decade, and apparently gundam is the trigger word and derails every thread

i have to apologize again in advance in case i accidentally the thread..was just an honest newfag trying to repent i sware...;-;
>>
>>13837614
oh and eva is a trigger as well

g-gomenasai a third time senpai...

litearlly 2nd mecha ive ever watched so pls
>>
>>13837605
>, and only now am i realizing how much other stuff was influenced by it (or flat out copied).
Good for you

>And here I was thinking every mecha series ever was just Gundam Wing
Hahahahahahahahahaha
>>
File: giphy.gif (557KB, 500x341px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
557KB, 500x341px
>>13837605
But anon, you aren't even at the good part yet. You've only seen the generic mecha anime bits. Oh boy, just you wait!

Oh, and some context if you wanna watch End of Evangelion afterwards.
http://wiki.evageeks.org/End_of_Evangelion_Death_Threats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAMAwErYRpQ
>>
Now it's time to read Devilman and watch Ideon you faggot
>>
>>13837605
>>13837613
Tell me. What did Eva copy and what it influence. And no, Rahxephon is a Raideen copy so eat shit.

I guarantee this is how it actually works
>you're a newfag, you watch Eva
>you see something, you think it copied Eva
>but it actually copied the thing that Eva copied
>>
>>13837625
tbf i already saw the retarded last minute ending where they all say congratulations and its batshit retarded

that only heightened my disgust for mecha anime previously, although for the wrong reasons completely, i though it was just being a stupid kid show, not trying to be super LOLDEEP or whatever

i might just skip the last two episodes in question and go straight to end of evangelion

thoughts?
>>
The only shows that come to mind that are influenced by Eva specifically are Brain Power'd and RahXephon

RahXephon ended up being more of a Raideen clone and much more coherent in storytelling and genuinely had better themes and cast too. Brain Power'd was mediocre.

Also Eva isnt a wholly original project. Part of the soundtrack is lifted straight from Anno's previous work too.
>>
>>13837628
>Rahxephon is a Raideen copy so eat shit.
Yeah, remember how Raideen did all that retarded psychology shit and had Misato in it and the enemies looked exactly like angels oh wait you're retarded because your mother overdosed on nigger semen while pregnant you poor child
>>
>>13837628
OP here

its not really mecha, more like anti-mecha, but shingeki no kyojin (shit show but i watched all of it, should've ended it as planned originally rahter than super long series that goes nowhere)

...anyways, thematically and with the monsters it really reminded me of it

i wont be much help beyond that though i dont watch much in the genre
>>
>>13837631
The last two episodes are the whole point of the show.

And what Anno is trying to say to and about the viewer won't make without the ending of the original. It doesn't work or make sense without the original ending.
>>
>>13837641
ok

the first letter here has convinced me of their worth as well, my mistake:
http://wiki.evageeks.org/End_of_Evangelion_Death_Threats#Letter_01

weird how divided it made people, i guess ill see why soon enough
>>
>>13837644
You do realize that the translations on there are a load of bullshit made up by retards, right?
>>
>>13837654
its irrelevant if it is an actual letter though

at least some people feel positively about the original ending so that means its worth watching

ill make up my own mind about it
>>
>>13837625
SHINJI MASTURBATES TO COMPLETION OVER ASUKA'S COMATOSE BODY Just the way he says that so dead pan always makes me chuckle whenever I watch this.
>>
File: 1423616291565.jpg (27KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1423616291565.jpg
27KB, 640x480px
>>13837634
>Yeah, remember how Raideen did all that retarded psychology shit
Like any standard Tomino show
>had Misato in it
You mean another Tomino older woman character
>and the enemies looked exactly like angels
You mean like all of the designs Anno stole?

How's that shit taste, faggot
>>
>>13837605
evangelion is shit though
>>
>>13837631
you should kill yourself first
>>
>>13837633
>Brain Power'd was mediocre.
Brain Powerd was a masterpiece
>>
>>13837641

this >>13837631
The original ending is Anno's hope and faith in you. But EoE is what he thinks you are. Prove him wrong.
>>
>>13837696
Oh got those quotes reversed.
>>
File: 07-04-es2401.jpg_141358524.jpg (56KB, 621x465px) Image search: [Google]
07-04-es2401.jpg_141358524.jpg
56KB, 621x465px
I don't get why gundamfags and evafags can't ever get along.

it's not like Anno never said he liked gundam/ideon.

Amuro and Shinji get along pretty well on Super Robot Wars, they're buddies, you should take the example and do the same, faggots.

Also, if you REALLY want to bitch about [x] copying [y], then nothing humanity has ever written is original since at least 5000 years.
Go read "The hero with a thousand faces" for reference.
>>
File: 1438638764191.jpg (128KB, 400x534px) Image search: [Google]
1438638764191.jpg
128KB, 400x534px
>>13837713
But OP is the one who brought it up. Evangelion is a great series but
>i realizing how much other stuff was influenced by it (or flat out copied)
is misguided.
>>
>>13837605
>how much other stuff was influenced by it
You mean how much other stuff influenced it.

You're a babby if you haven't read Devilman and watched Ideon.

Back to /a/ with you.
>>
>>13837639
>more like anti-mecha
No you're a fag.

Anno loves mecha, and so did the producer on the show.

Eva was a homage to past mecha. You're that much of a fag if it ain't that obvious to you.
>>
>>13837726
He was talking about Attack on Eoten, anon.
>>
>>13837724
Sorry mate, it's both. Eva's popularity was huge in a way that hadn't happened to mecha in a while.
>>
>>13837737
But Eva was the tail end of a mecha anime boom
>>
>>13837713
> I don't get why gundamfags and evafags can't ever get along.

Its because Gundam and Evangelion are the two biggest kids in the mecha playground. And they are fundamentally very different shows that generally appeal to different viewers.

Gundam has the toy lines and bandai making sure we never go for more than a month without more gundam content because making sure that otaku have a steady diet of Gundams is what keeps their business afloat. Its inarguably the biggest mecha franchise in terms of sheer quantity.

On the other hand, Evangelion has far less media (one series and a handful of movies) but despite not getting anything new for large spans of time it remains one of the pillars of mecha anime that is so renowned that even casuals knows that its important. It made a big splash when it first landed and has remained relevant ever since despite not getting spinoffs or AUs outside of doujins, which don't count.

There are other mecha franchises, of course. But as much as I love Macross, I can't pretend that it hogs the spotlight anywhere near the amount that Gundam or Evangelion do.
>>
>>13837740

And that is relevant how? Thats like arguing that True Grit can't be a good movie because westerns are not as popular as they used to be.
>>
>>13837863
>are the two biggest kids in the mecha playground.
>Eva
You're vastly overestimating Eva's popularity.
>>
>>13837869
No it means Eva wasn't even the height of mecha popularity in its time period.
>>
>>13837871
Then what's second? Mazinger? pffft
>>
>>13837719
>Anno is an Asuka fag

Dear God.
>>
>>13837871

Is he? I can't think of any mecha show that has come out since that had the staying power of Eva.

Things like TTGL or Code Geass are really popular when they are airing, but they sort of drop off the radar 5 years later.

But we talk about Eva pretty much constantly.
>>
Shinji is the best eva girl and you're all gay faggot homos
>>
I remember when I was like you OP. Thinking EVA was this super influential show.

Then I watched more mecha and realized that while EVA is enjoyable in it's own right, like 90% of the stuff you think it did first is not the case.

Just keep watching older mecha kid. You too will see what I mean.
>>
>>13837981

That's a false argument, though, because its not a binary choice where older things beat newer things like rock paper scissors.

Eva was influenced by a lot of older stuff that Anno enjoyed, true. But that doesn't prevent Eva itself from also being highly influential on what came later.

Just like how Star Wars is a mashup of other movies (The famous Death Star trench run is just The Dam Busters in space, the Jedi plot arcs are basically just various Samurai movies with lightsabers instead of katanas) but no one would claim that Star Wars is made lesser by that fact or failed to have a huge impact on western scifi that came after it.
>>
File: 1445718161510.png (30KB, 254x262px) Image search: [Google]
1445718161510.png
30KB, 254x262px
>>13837634
>>13837613
>inb4 some brain dead cunt links to and cites evaxephon as a source
>>
File: Eva Inspired by and Inspired.jpg (757KB, 1750x2750px) Image search: [Google]
Eva Inspired by and Inspired.jpg
757KB, 1750x2750px
>>13837628
Here you go
>>
>>13837999
This, what the fuck is wrong with people, this is like the pop culture equivalent of power level bullshit.
>>
>>13837898
Based Anno.

>>13837719
>>13837666
>>13837639
>>13837633
Eva was influenced by a ton of other media, and thus it introduces older material to a newer viewership, along with its own style and ideas.

I think this is a more accurate portrayal of how people are influenced by media.

Akira for example was influenced by Tetsujin 28, Pulp-Scifi, Cyberpunk, Alfred Bester, Star Wars, American Biker culture, Jamers Dean, and Dune/Moebius.

It still influenced plenty of Authors in its own right.
>>
>>13838191
How Where Eureka 7 and Bokurano heavily influenced by Evangelion?
>>
>>13838198
It is also interesting to note that initially allot of what made Star Wars IV great was how it played with the heroes journey. Luke is a good pilot sure, but before Lucas retroactively made the series about one super powered family that shapes the entire galaxies destiny, he was a nobody. Chubacca was not a 300 year old clone wars veteran, R2 and C3-PO were just some random fucking droids who happen to be chosen because they were in the right place at the right time. They were not Jesus's robot he built from scratch and R2 the only surviving astrometrich droid who saved the entire Naboo government.
>>
Baldurs Bait
>>
>>13838237
In the same way that you don't know basic English.
>>
>>13837910
>Things like TTGL or Code Geass are really popular when they are airing, but they sort of drop off the radar 5 years later.
I never forgot about that stuff, personally. TTGL is still my favorite anime, but there's just not much to say is the thing. Evangelion left such a shockwave and gave people a lot of things to talk about.
>>
>>13837641
>The whole point of the show
Eva was trying to be so many different things, I don't think it really had a point
>>
>>13838289
There is a point. The point is surrealism. Aka. life is shit.
>>
>>13838251
One has to ponder how out of touch Anno... err I mean Lucas became with his previous work to go ahead an make something so detached from it in subsequent films. Indeed it is almost it has become consumed by its own popularity and forgotten the influences that made it so successful in the first place. In place of those valuable influences what do we get, something uninspired, and confused. Constantly trying to fix its lack of substance with more and more expensive animation... I mean special affects. Episode 7 is without a doubt the worst with this.
>>
>>13838299
Because why not? There's no reason to bother when you've already got plenty of money from the work before. Better to just do whatever the fuck you want to.
>>
>>13838191
Where the fuck was there a Sailor Moon influence in Eva?
>>
>>13838313
I honestly think there are just some things in that image that were placed there solely as bait.
>>
>>13838191
Look, anon, a lot of things are a JAM plot, but you can't just go and say Yukikaze influenced Evangelion without a line of reasoning that's sufficiently plausible so as to be free of reasonable doubt.

Leilel's upside down inside out AT field pocket dimension is a wholly distinct kind of clusterfuck from the MBZ.
>>
>>13838322
Unfortunately, the anon who made that image seems to no longer be around.
>>
>>13838313
Anno's mancrush on Ikuhara
>>
>>13838236
>Akira for example was influenced by Tetsujin 28, Pulp-Scifi, Cyberpunk, Alfred Bester, Star Wars, American Biker culture, Jamers Dean, and Dune/Moebius.

Akira is its own thing and any influences it has are passing at best. Its link to Tetsujin 28 end at a few names give to characters and Tetsuo being #28. The influence from Akira comes from its original elements.

Evangelion lifts things and puts it into its narrative. Cool monster design? It's in Eva. Liquid cockpit setup? We Eva now. Androgynous angel homolust and humans are the final threat? Throw it in. Influence from Eva exists, but it is much more minor that westerners think. Eva influenced the directing and visual style of the early 00s, where plenty of non-mecha anime used Anno's visual techniques. Things in mecha that people claims are hallmarks of influence from Evangelion, like DEEP characters or grimdark super robot, are typically just elements of the genre that newfags don't know about.
>>
>>13838191
This faggot always posts his dumb image with the same filename. He is literally the only person who posts this thing because it's full of shit.
>>
>>13838423
Not my fault it's fun to post
>>
>>13838237

I haven't seen Bokurano, but Eureka Seven has a different tone but a very strong list of comparisons.

Summer of Love = Second Impact, Second Summer of Love = Third Impact.

The Mechs are organic aliens covered in man made armor and electronics so that they may be controlled, and they bleed when cut.

The special mech used by the protagonist, in addition to the above, has the special ability to sometimes wake up and go berserk on its own when the pilot inside is sufficiently threatened.

The larger, fate of the world narrative takes a backseat to the stories of the relationships and maturity of the main cast.

Eureka starts off as a Rei expy before growing into a better written character.

So on and so forth.

Its not a 1:1 copy or anything, and Eureka Seven has enough stuff unique to it that it doesn't feel overshadowed by Eva, and E7 has a totally different tone. But their settings are VERY similar, aside from the "12,000 years in the future" bit.

You can basically take the Evangelion OST from when Unit 01 goes berserk against Zeruel and play it over the scene of the Seven Swell going off in the second episode and it synchs right up.
>>
>>13837719
> Americans tend to like misato
Fug, got me

Although I started to dislike her once it was shown how she used other people, low key really weak personality which isn't cool
>>
>>13838191
> enders game

Glad I wasn't the only one to notice this
>>
>>13838664
>once it was shown how she used other people
Practically the only characters in Evangelion that don't use other people are background characters like Fuyutski and Toji. The only major character that wasn't manipulative and self serving with interpersonal interaction is Rei.
>>
>>13837605
When are you fuckers going to learn Eva is just Anno's Giant fan wank, homage, love letter to all the shows he grew up with and loved
>>
>>13838760
When you shut up and get me some bagel bites
>>
>>13837910
Evangelion is a lot more popular than most other shows and still tends to be actively discussed to this day, but I would say TTGL and Code Geass are popular enough that people would still be interested if they made something along the lines of the Rebuild films (though TTGL already did, we had people hyping up the supposed new project for it, as much as it was apparently a false alarm).
>>
>>13838191
>No Getter Robo Go

cut that out
>>
File: 1430252256895.jpg (229KB, 751x1063px) Image search: [Google]
1430252256895.jpg
229KB, 751x1063px
>>13837605
You can't influence something if all you did was rip off previous things.
>>
>>13839998
If you want to edit it, by all means go ahead
>>
>>13837863
>Evangelion has far less media (one series and a handful of movies)

And a bunch of mahjong and dating sims. Eva merch kinda perplexes me, most of it is just totally unrelated shit with an Eva skin slapped on top yet fanboys buy it up in droves. If I'm getting an Eva game I want it to be something where I'm piloting an Eva or managing Nerv not some DS game where I raise my own Rei.
>>
File: 1442012638337.jpg (133KB, 800x1203px) Image search: [Google]
1442012638337.jpg
133KB, 800x1203px
>>13837724
>and watched Ideon.

I was gonna watch it a few years ago but then the BDs were announced so I decided to wait until they came out and someone fully sub them.

I'm still waiting for those subs to get done.
>>
File: 1454604600634.jpg (826KB, 1750x2750px) Image search: [Google]
1454604600634.jpg
826KB, 1750x2750px
>>13840395
It crossed my mind, actually, but I'm a lazy piece of shit so I didn't want to at the time.
>>
File: 1269062001456_zpsf92a5080.jpg (128KB, 693x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1269062001456_zpsf92a5080.jpg
128KB, 693x1024px
>>13838422
>Liquid cockpit setup?
For anyone who doesn't know,

that was done in by Nagai's MazinSaga, years before Eva. And even way before that, it was also done in Iczer.

Pic related is what Sayaka wore before going into the liquid.
>>
>>13840465
Thanks anon. Now I have more dank memes to spread with the image, especially since you added Zeorymer for no good reason
>>
File: ShinMazingaZeroVol416.jpg (232KB, 1024x777px) Image search: [Google]
ShinMazingaZeroVol416.jpg
232KB, 1024x777px
>>13840479
Then the authors of rapenamek included that reference in Shin Mazinger ZERO.
>>
>>13840479
Don't forget The Abyss, which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Anno saw it
>>
File: 81L5CvMGeZL._SL1500_.jpg (175KB, 1500x1479px) Image search: [Google]
81L5CvMGeZL._SL1500_.jpg
175KB, 1500x1479px
>>13840491
Then some fuck thought it was the coolest idea ever, and turned the suit into a fap figurine.

Thus, Nagai's liquid cockpit is a far bigger achievement than Eva's (sorry Anno, you don't have enough bdsm outfits in your show).
>>
>>13838191
>bokurano
Holy shit, the mech is literally called Zearth.
How on earth do you fucking think that's at all eva related?
Monster of the week was around before Evangelion, jesus.
>>
>>13838191
And jesus fuck, why is Lain there at all?
This is bait, that seals it.
>>
>>13840531
Eva started the 90s mindfuck trend you moron. God how could you be so stupid?!
>>
>>13840485
Masato and Shinji are very similar characters.
>>
>>13840513
I swear to christ, every time I go looking for Shin Mazinger merch, it's always this bullshit that pops up first

God forbid we get a figure of the actual robot she uses that suit in, it's only the best robot Sayaka's ever had
>>
File: 18.jpg (164KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
18.jpg
164KB, 800x800px
>>13840669
Because ZERO is a manga.

Just like Satanikus Enma Kerberos (pic related, sequel to Dororon Enma-kun)

They don't usually make stuff for manga.
>>
File: richirocko131294752411.jpg (53KB, 531x800px) Image search: [Google]
richirocko131294752411.jpg
53KB, 531x800px
>>13840684
*sequel to Demon Prince Enma I mean, which is a sequel to Dororon Enma-kun
>>
>>13838749

> The only major character that wasn't manipulative and self serving with interpersonal interaction is Rei.

Mostly because she exists to be used, herself. Gendo creates her to be a chess piece in his grand plan. An important piece, sure, but thats all.

She spends her whole life in passive mode, lacking even the personal initiative in order to not sleep in her own blood long after she has healed and with no regard for her own well being at all, and eventually ends up becoming just what she was made to be from the start: a tool for taming a god, bent to the will of someone else.

Its debatable whether she even 'chose' Shinji, or if she was drawn to Unit 01 like a moth to a flame. Seele's dialog during the scene where Unit 01 is captured by the MP Evas and marked makes it sound like they knew that Lilith (Rei) would have no choice but to come to them.

Rei can't be manipulative, because her role is to serve others.
>>
>>13839370

Wasn't Code Geass getting an OVA just last year? It might even still be ongoing.

Either way, it didn't seem to be doing very well. It got some interest when it first started, and then sort of fell by the wayside.
>>
>>13841985
Actually the Code Geass OVA is doing pretty well for the Japanese, which the only market that really matters for these things..

Each BD volume sold over 20.000 units plus whatever income they got from the theater screenings. The last movie will be screened later today/tomorrow.

It's only "fallen by the wayside" in terms of the western fandom, because of the language barrier, the death of fansub groups and the long release gaps. But it's still gotten threads and people will absolutely watch a new TV project.
>>
>>13841980
You must've missed the scene from the beginning of EoE where it shows she broke Gendo's glasses. After becoming Rei III she had enough of his shit. 'Choosing' Shinji is what gave her, her sense of identity. Up until that point there was no "Rei" just a cloned body of Yui and an angel's soul. This is why she has that existential crisis during an earlier episode and you see all those Reis saying "WHAT AM I WHAT AM I WHAT AM I".
>>
>>13837633
>RahXephon
>coherent
But that's wrong.
>>
>>13843970

> After becoming Rei III she had enough of his shit. 'Choosing' Shinji is what gave her, her sense of identity. Up until that point there was no "Rei" just a cloned body of Yui and an angel's soul.

What? No. That's dumb. Dying for the second time and getting Lilith's soul transplanted into an empty container AGAIN didn't suddenly make her a strong independent woman.

What it did do was dull all of her memories. Souls do not, by default, carry memory along with them. We know this, because Rei doesn't have all of Lilith's memories and didn't even know that she was Lilith until episode 24. That machine we keep seeing, where Rei hangs out in a tube of LCL in Nerv's basement where the Reiquarium is? That's them making a backup copy of all of her memories. Insurance in case anything happened to Rei, and also useful for imprinting the Dummy Plugs that also contain Rei clone bodies.

This is why Rei 3 doesn't remember dying, or the battle in which she died at all, when talking to Shinji. That all happens after her last 'save point', so there was no way for her to have memory of it. That gap in her memory is how she figures out that she must be the third Rei, even.

The problem is that Rei 3 doesn't have the same emotional connection to the things that Rei 2 experienced. She knows about them, but she doesn't treat it as if it happened to HER ("This is the first time I have seen this, but not the first time..."). It doesn't carry anywhere near the same weight as it is supposed to.

Thats why she breaks the glasses. Because she remembers that this meant something to her, but it doesn't anymore. Rei 2 treasured this item, but to Rei 3 its nothing at all because they are different characters. Gendo knows this too, which is why he treats Rei 3 so coldly, at one point even catching himself when he refers to her as Rei. Because he knows how this process works, and that this isn't really the girl that he spent more than a decade raising. Just a pale imitation.
>>
>>13843979

That so?
>>
>>13837613
>fafner are nothing like it
But it is, and it's better
>>
>>13843979
RahXephon practically spoonfeeds you. How can anyone find that show incoherent?
>>
>>13838289
>Eva was trying to be so many different things, I don't think it really had a point

No, Eva never tried to be many things. Eva is 2 things, a giant robot show and a coming of age tale. That is it. It never was a hotbed for religious symbolisms, it was never Sigmund Freud's personal psychological study into human nature, it never was about the exegesis of scripture. Once you realise this Eva is as easy to read or understand it's point as any other run of the mill mecha anime.

There are no deep mysteries in Eva. You'd think the contrary by reading ANN or Evageeks forums but they're wrong. Overinterpretation is a real sickness with Eva and it doesn't make you look intelligent only stupid. Because it means you have missed the forest for the trees.

Eva's real power was that it was a milestone in 1995. It really influenced a lot of mecha shows that came afterwards. It became a cultural phenomenon. There is a freaking lot of Eva merchandise in Japan, it's just not the typical mecha merchandise like you'd see in Gundam. It's all focused on characters, Rei and Asuka for instance. In the west, the importance of Eva continues to be heralded by a bunch of losers that see in Eva the answer to life, the universe and everything. Needless to say they haven't a fucking clue about what they've watched all these years.
>>
>>13849014
>It never was a hotbed for religious symbolisms, it was never Sigmund Freud's personal psychological study into human nature, it never was about the exegesis of scripture.
I never said it was, but the very fact that it can be seen in these ways confuses the message regardless. Why have all this extra crap if all you mean to show is Shinji struggling to become an adult?
>>
File: 1437810289591.jpg (50KB, 640x476px) Image search: [Google]
1437810289591.jpg
50KB, 640x476px
>>13849073
>>
>>13849073
>I never said it was, but the very fact that it can be seen in these ways confuses the message regardless. Why have all this extra crap if all you mean to show is Shinji struggling to become an adult?

All the extra crap is just that window dressing. When Anno was asked about the religous symbolism in Eva he said "I used those symbols because they're cool looking". Western fandom never could accept that. They think Eva is a retelling of the bible or some other stupid shit. Missing as I said the big picture. And the big picture is that Eva is about giant mecha fighting it out and a teenager trying to find his place in the world. Souls, gods, terminal dogma, the tree of life etc... are words without underlying meaning in the tv series. Used to make Eva look cool.
>>
>>13849116
It isn't just the religious stuff, though. Those are a very small part of the show anyway. I mean, there's a lot of subplots that have nothing to do with Shinji. The entire characters of Misato, Kaji, and Ritsuko, for example. And then there's stuff like the entire backstory episode that focused on Gendo and Fuyutski

This isn't stuff I'd call "window dressing," but if the show is just about Shinji and dumb giant robot fights, then none of that has any place
>>
>>13849014
>It really influenced a lot of mecha shows that came afterwards.
No it didn't
> It became a cultural phenomenon.
No it didn't
>>
>13837605
Can I just throw out that as someone who discovered Eva while in the middle of one of the worst times in my life it literally helped save my life. I have a pretty bad mental disorder that makes me get pretty out of touch with reality in terms of what people think of me and realizing that how you think of people in your mind isn't the real way people think of you. Eva kept my finger off the trigger several times and helped me realize that even if I thought I was a monster that no one could love the people around do genuinely care about me. That scene with asuka at the lake and misato in the elevator are real heart pullers with me.

Also the Eva are driven by the will to protect thier children and not having parents growing up that shit had me in tears watching EoE.
No homo
>>
>>13849295
>No homo
Just crazy
>>
>>13849316
Very, very crazy.
>>
>>13837605
Evangelion is the best mecha anime ever.
And it's funny how this fucking loosers get mad about it.
> this board is only for Gundam
YOU weabos get kicked from /a/ and get mad talking about other mecha anime
Evangelion is the best and you know it.
Let's see another mecha anime with more influence, more emotional context and wich is been a success worldwide.
And even +20 years later people still hyped for the last movie.
So suck it.
>>
>>13849350
>Let's see another mecha anime with more influence, more emotional context and wich is been a success worldwide.
Gundam
>And even +20 years later people still hyped for the last movie.
Try Gundam's 40 years
>>
>>13849350
hi spic
>>
>>13849350
I'M ON YOUR SIDE HERMANO
>>
File: 1407658761218.jpg (925KB, 1000x3973px) Image search: [Google]
1407658761218.jpg
925KB, 1000x3973px
There's guide for threads like this.
>>
>>13849417
>finally accepted
Tokushit still belongs over at /tv/ and I can't be convinced otherwise
>>
File: good-luck-japanese-drama-01.jpg (150KB, 611x321px) Image search: [Google]
good-luck-japanese-drama-01.jpg
150KB, 611x321px
>>13849754
4chan needs a /jtv/ board in general IMO.

Pic related is basically a pilot drama but with commercial airliners instead of giant robots. 10/10 series
>>
>>13840465
Gamera 2 hit theaters like only 3 months after the last Eva episode. I know Shinji Higuchi worked on both, but how else did Eva influence it?
>>
>>13849767
This guy gets it.
Thread posts: 114
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.