[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>just finished watching Giant Robo >mfw realizing Getter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 12

File: sad dreamworks man.gif (2MB, 294x232px) Image search: [Google]
sad dreamworks man.gif
2MB, 294x232px
>just finished watching Giant Robo
>mfw realizing Getter Armageddon could have been even better if they let Imagawa finish it

Why /m/? Why wouldn't they let him finish it?
Do I watch G Gundam or Shin Mazinger now?
>>
Giant Robo is overrated desu although I only saw the shitty dub so that probably made it worse.
>>
>>13790219
>Why wouldn't they let him finish it?

We don't know. We don't even know why he was taken off the project, no one has said anything about it. It's entirely possible that he just had to leave due to scheduling conflict or something, it's as valid a reason as any because we have no reason.

That being said I liked Armageddon the way it turned out as a whole.

G Gundam

>>13790228

GR has 2 dubs, which one did you watch?
>>
>>13790233
He vaguely mentioned that it was creative differences between him and the producers in an interview once, but that's it. If you could find that Getter doujin he wrote you might get a glimpse of how Armageddon would've turned out.
>>
>>13790219
Getter Robo Armageddon gave us Black Getter.
>>
File: hotline miami 2.gif (634KB, 220x165px) Image search: [Google]
hotline miami 2.gif
634KB, 220x165px
>>13790245
It also gave us 6 episodes of fucking nothing
>>
File: 08.jpg (57KB, 720x527px) Image search: [Google]
08.jpg
57KB, 720x527px
>>13790245
Best rape face.
>>
>>13790260
You mean nothing but awesome fights.
>>
>>13790263
That I cannot deny. The music was nice too.

Without the Stoner Sunshine and the first 3 episodes though, the show wouldn't have been nearly as good in my opinion
>>
>>13790244
>He vaguely mentioned that it was creative differences between him and the producers

Which generally means "he tried to go out of budget and got canned for it" in business speak.
>>
>>13790271
The entire show was pretty well animated to my recollection. Maybe something regarding music? I know GR had some beautiful orchestral tracks.

Or maybe it was something with the way the characters were handled? I dunno
>>
>>13790267
>Without the Stoner Sunshine and the first 3 episodes though

You forgot tomohawking the moon and space vagina into Getter Emperor
>>
>>13790279
moons*
>>
File: IMG_3954.jpg (302KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3954.jpg
302KB, 1600x1200px
>>13790260
>It also gave us 6 episodes of fucking nothing
Are you really going there?

The awesome action, the crazy revelations, naked piloting, motherfucking black getter, best fight in the entire series.

Oh, it just didn't give you the things you cared about, like Imagawa's storytelling. But if you don't care about anything I just said, then why the fuck were you watching Getter in the first place?

Dynamic Pro shit is often more style than substance. It's part of the appeal. You're watching the wrong kind of show.
>>
>>13790291
This image is beyond context
>>
File: IMG_3990.jpg (279KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3990.jpg
279KB, 1600x1200px
>>13790293
>>
>>13790291
I liked Shin Getter vs. Neo Getter a little more because the emphasis was never really on the story, but with Armageddon I thought the first 3 episodes had something going for them. I did enjoy the rest of the show, but I feel like it only begins to ramp up in quality again around episode 10.
>>
>>13790219
Imagawa got sick during production and had to step down.

>>13790291
Fuck off with your anti-thought rhetoric.
>hurr hurr why do you watch getter if you don't want it to be mindless schlock
OVA newfags, I swear.
>>
>>13790295
Yes they're lovely, but it doesn't exactly change what I said.
>>
>>13790299
>Shin Getter vs. Neo Getter a little more because the emphasis was never really on the story
What do you consider to be a story? Just because it didn't have an Imagawa-type story, didn't mean that the emphasis wasn't on the story. Everything that happened in SvN is part of the story. It was an alternate take on Getter Robo's sequel.
>>
>>13790304
You can't complain now.
>>
>>13790219
I don't know about Shin Mazinger but G Gundam kinda drags on too long during the middle. It has a really cool world full of Gundam designs that represent whatever country Domon is in at the moment but then drops that to stay in one area for about 20 episodes due to the tournament. The last ten or so episodes are really damn great.
>>
>>13790302
>OVA newfags, I swear.
No, you're just dumb. The manga also relied a lot on the style and action. If you don't enjoy Getter's style, then you're already missing out on the appeal.
>>
>>13790310
Shin Mazinger drags in the beginning, but that's because it was setting up the main players of the show. Once that was over, the show was quickly progressing its plot.
>>
>>13790305
I guess character development and backstory were more what I had in mind.

>>13790311
That's true for the most part, but Go places a lot of emphasis on it's characters compared to other DP stuff. Sho and Schwartz are great examples of this
>>
Reminder that Sho died an offscreen death after Imagawa left
>>
>>13790311
No, you're a fucking idiot. Armageddon is a piss poor OVA whose only saving grace is animation and music. The "great" parts are lifted from the manga without the context that made them so good (or even the execution in many cases), the story is non-existent and even worse - it's contradictory in many places, the characterization is complete shit and it doesn't capture Getter's style at all outside of the Imagawa segments.

You say dumb shit like
>[but if you don't agree with my stupidity] then why the fuck were you watching Getter in the first place?
>It's part of the appeal. You're watching the wrong kind of show.
>If you don't enjoy Getter's style, then you're already missing out on the appeal.
When the fact is that Armageddon ISN'T like Getter and yet here you are asserting that if you criticize Armageddon then it's got to be a criticism of Dynamic Pro/Getter Robo because Armageddon is just sooooo perfect.

Fuck you, OVA newfag.
>>
>>13790324

Not him but the Getter manga is nothing special. It feels like you're putting on a pedestal something that doesn't really deserve it, it never tried to be anything more than what it was (except in Go, which I hated the ending of).
>>
>>13790324
>Armageddon is a piss poor OVA whose only saving grace is animation and music. The "great" parts are lifted from the manga without the context that made them so good
There weren't much context to any of the manga fights. They were good, because they were well choreographed, just like in the OVA.

>the story is non-existent
It's actually not non-existent. It was a clusterfuck, but it was not non-existent. Learn the meaning of the word before you use it.

>it's contradictory in many place
Thanks to Imagawa.

>the characterization is complete shit
The characterization is pretty much the same as the manga.

>it doesn't capture Getter's style at all outside of the Imagawa segments.
Laughable. There's a reason why Kawagoe is pretty much the de-facto director for DP. He recreated their manga style, perfectly. Imagawa is a good storyteller, but his storytelling techniques have nothing to do with the Getter Robo manga. Yes, I get Imagawa was setting up a mystery, but the way he went about it is totally different from how Ishikawa went about it.

You're just grasping at straws now.
>>
>>13790334
The ending to Go was great, but so was the entire fight against Rando. It was a nice change of pace from the dinosaur and hyakki empire.

>Getter manga is nothing special.
In what sense? In the story? Because in style, there was nothing like it back then (except Mazinger), and there is still nothing like it today.

Gundam on the other hand is a completely different story. Any other mecha shows by Sunrise (that aren't Gundam) could easily pass for a Gundam show.
>>
>>13790357
>There weren't much context to any of the manga fights
Discarded.
>It's actually not non-existent.
But you're actually autistic.
>Thanks to Imagawa.
First three episodes are rock solid. Fuck yourself.
>The characterization is pretty much the same as the manga.
Objectively wrong.
>Laughable.
Your post? Yes. Also, you're the same retarded Kawagoe apologist who shitposts about Imagawa all the time. You are literally worth less than the poo in designated shitting fields.

>Yes, I get Imagawa was setting up a mystery, but the way he went about it is totally different from how Ishikawa went about it.
It's pathetic to see a retard who says the characterization of Armageddon was the same as Getter Saga try to talk about narrative styles.

What a blithering retard you are.
>>
Thank God, at least we got some mecha fights out of it.
If it were for Imagawa Miroku and those guys from the Yakuza weapon manga would have been the main character fighting monsters with kung-fu while well animated mechs appear once every 2 episodes.
>>
>>13790371
>Discarded.
Really? Is that your rebuttal? How about you extrapolate on that? You're not convincing anyone here.

>But you're actually autistic.
See above.

>First three episodes are rock solid.
I never denied that they weren't. But Imagawa took the notes with him you retard. Plot holes are to be expected, and it's none of Kawagoe's fault (And he wasn't the only director on the show).

>Objectively wrong.
Again, you have nothing to explain how they're different.

>you're the same retarded Kawagoe apologist who shitposts about Imagawa
Nice assumption. I like both Kawagoe and Imagawa, for different reasons. You are on the other hand is a fucking illogical fanboy who can't see past the stupidity he's spouting.

>It's pathetic to see a retard who says the characterization
You have done nothing to convince anyone with your entire post. What a waste.
>>
>>13790370
>The ending to Go was great

I disagree, I hated the sudden absorbtion by the Getter and slamming into Mars to create life. Yes I understand that evolution is the point of the Getter but I hated the way he handled it.

>In what sense? In the story? Because in style, there was nothing like it back then (except Mazinger), and there is still nothing like it today.

It was just a simple story of using a machine by a scientist to fight an evil empire. Multiple evil empires. They always had a thing about fearing the Getter because of its power, and the time the bugs travelled through time to try and crush earth before Emperor could be born, but the reality is the idea of dread never works because the Getter doesn't really betray humanity.

Also, I don't like Ishikawa's artstyle for characters. It's too...hairy, for lack of a better term.

>Any other mecha shows by Sunrise (that aren't Gundam) could easily pass for a Gundam show.

You know the Brave series is Sunrise, right?
>>
>>13790382
>It was just a simple story
I agree the story isn't anything special, but as I keep repeating it above, the style triumphs over its story.

>You know the Brave series is Sunrise, right?
I meant, modern mecha series like Valvrave. GGG is not "modern". It was cell anime. Origin is the only one that felt that had Gundam's style, and that's because the character designs and the story were like the original.
>>
>>13790376
>Really? Is that your rebuttal?
Make a vapid claim, get a vapid rebuttal.
>See above.
Because you have actual autism, I'll have to make it easy for your to understand. You replied literally to a figurative statement. Either you aren't a native English speaker (possibly italian?) or you're autistic.
>But Imagawa took the notes with him you retard.
Prove it, you retard.
>and it's none of Kawagoe's fault
It is. If you have three episode of story and you cannot wrap up the given plot points within 10 more episodes, you are a failure.
>Again, you have nothing to explain how they're different.
The characters aren't the same as the manga. Need examples? Benkei isn't a level headed father-type. Ryouma isn't an overly violent soldier of war-type. Objectively different characterizations. End yourself.

Also, you're not fooling anyone with your double posting totally different posters bullshit.
>>
>>13790398
>Prove it, you retard.

Q) You were initially placed in charge of the OVA "Getter Robo: The Last Days On Earth". However, after the first batch of episodes, you were reportedly replaced. How much would you say the rest of the series differed from what you had had in mind for it?

A) It should be a very different story. The reason for leaving was a very long story and unpleasant. So I didn’t want them to use my idea and I hope it turned out inconsistent. Only the first three episodes reflect my ideas. If you pay attention, you can see that there are embedded plot developments in the first three episodes that are not resolved that I didn’t let them use.

You can go hide in a corner now.
>>
>>13790404
>No source
>broken english "translation"
Uh huh
>>
>>13790219
Eh
I'm interested in what he had in mind, but I think it came out great.
>>
>>13790397
>the style triumphs over its story.

If you say so. I thought the style was in itself nothing special. Again you're putting it on a pedestal, this isn't Lensman we're talking about.

>I meant, modern mecha series like Valvrave.

Oh modern. Thought I certainly wouldn't mistake Xenoglossia or Buddy Complex for Gundam.
>>
>>13790407
>No source
Having primary source isn't always necessary, especially when this kind of subject matter is involved. You're not doing archaeology. Or are you that kind of idiot who doesn't know what comes from a real source, and what is being made up? You can easily tell, unless you're retarded.

The person who transcribed the interview said he got it from Gunota anyway.
>>
>>13790414
>Having primary source isn't always necessary
Wrong. It's always necessary.

Get a source or fuck off.
>>
>>13790413
>I thought the style was in itself nothing special.
I don't remember that kind of design in any other mecha shows.

Do you know anyone that has Ishikawa's style? His art is one of a kind.
>>
>>13790418

I never said it wasn't unique, I said it wasn't impressive to me.

I don't know exactly what you're trying to do other than say my opinion is wrong.
>>
>>13790420
>I don't know exactly what you're trying to do other than say my opinion is wrong.
That's literally what you're doing.
>>
>>13790417
>Get a source or fuck off.
No, you're being a retard.

It is ok to settle for a secondary source in this context, especially when the primary one isn't available. People just don't make fake interviews for an obscure anime. There is no motivation behind it. Therefore, we can assume that the poster posted a real interview.

You do know that you cannot absolutely prove something 100% beyond any certainty. It's a common fallacy to assume so. What if the official source for it didn't get Imagawa's words right? The best thing you can do is ask Imagawa himself if he chooses to attend a next con.

Even if he wrongly transcribed it, the idea is there. Imagawa didn't let the staff use his ideas, that lead to episode 4 to 13. Use some brain matter, please.
>>
>>13790427

Yes but the difference is I KNOW I'm that kind of asshole.
>>
>>13790420
You said it was nothing special.

special is often synonymous with unique.

not special == not unique.

not impressive == you didn't care for the style.

You're wrongly using words.
>>
>>13790438

I used the word special to mean exemplary. That is it above that is the standard.

Either way you're trying to convince me Getter is something more than it is. It's just a robot manga with a space horror angle. You say the style trumps the substance, I say why have such a standard and not strive for both style AND substance? I'm not asking for it to be Foundation, but still.
>>
>>13790429
Get
a
source
or
fuck
off
with
your
source
less
claims
>>
>>13790451
Your argument can be used for literally everything because it's a strawman argument.
>it's just a manga
>it's just a movie
>it's just a book
>it's just you being retarded
>>
>>13790451
>That is it above that is the standard.
That's not how I use the word special. Special could mean both good or bad. Either way, okay. I accept your definition.

>Either way you're trying to convince me Getter is something more than it is.
Uh no? All I'm saying is that the style is stronger than the substance.

>I say why have such a standard and not strive for both style AND substance?
Because it's an anime & manga. They're a strong visual medium. That's why.
>>
>>13790466

Because I don't see how Getter is anything great. It's not something that stands up to real literature. It was an entertaining manga that had (at the time) a unique gimmick to the robot and later incorporated a sort of horror element, but that's it.

People always go in and say "you OVAfags, the manga is so much better and they miss the point of it". I've never seen the OVAs, but I've read the manga and when people call i great I have to wonder what kind of metric for "good" these people have. It's like the same people who classify Empire Strikes Back on the same level as fucking Lawrence of Arabia, they ooze of being culturally illiterate.
>>
>>13790462
The source is from Comic Con Toronto in 2006 which Imagawa was a guest of. The interview was translated by Takayuki Karahashi, a well known translator in the anime/manga industry.

http://aeug.blogspot.com/2006_09_01_archive.html.
>>
>>13790479
>Because I don't see how Getter is anything great.
Then why are you in this thread

Go troll somewhere else.

>It's like the same people who classify Empire Strikes Back on the same level as fucking Lawrence of Arabia, they ooze of being culturally illiterate.
You just picked the wrong person to say that shit to. Lawrence of Arabia is a fantastic movie, but are you honestly trying to tout its narrative as better than Getter Robo? It's an action flick with top notch cinematography and acting, but it's exceedingly shallow otherwise.
>b-b-but he executed that mohammedan m8 it was brutal
>>
>>13790484
Great. But there's absolutely nothing about him taking his notes like you claimed. He says he did not let them use his plot developments. Thanks for being wrong!
>>
>>13790487
>narrative

You say that like it's a story and not TE Lawrence's life being told. It is viewing a man who tried to change a part of the world and ultimately failed. To call it a "narrative" is to undermine that this was a real man.

>Go troll somewhere else.
>I have a different opinion so I'm a troll

For that matter, I was in the thread because it mentioned Imagawa.
>>
>>13790479
>Because I don't see how Getter is anything great.
You didn't have to repeat for the third time. I got it the first time. Why are you so bent on spouting your opinion that much? Should you notice, that I never argued for Getter's quality. All I said is that the style was stronger than the story, and you went full ANN on me.

>It's not something that stands up to real literature.
Do you make a technical distinction between real literature, and literature, or that distinction is merely based on your opinion?

>but it's exceedingly shallow otherwise.
There can be different kind of great. People think Getter is great at what it's doing; at being a fun & entertaining robot manga. They never meant for it to be comparable to all time literature classics. They're not even the same medium, holy crap.
>>
>>13790493
>But there's absolutely nothing about him taking his notes like you claimed.
Of course I didn't mean that he literally took his papers and left. Good lord, you're a thick one.

He didn't let the staff use his ideas, which ultimately means that the story went to shit, because of him.
>>
>>13790496
>Do you make a technical distinction between real literature, and literature

We both know what I mean in that instance. There is a difference between a pulp novel and books considered the greats of their genre.

>Why are you so bent on spouting your opinion that much?

Maybe because that's all that ever happens in a Getter thread with mangafags whenever the ovas are brought up.

>Should you notice, that I never argued for Getter's quality.

Assuming you're >>13790324, you did. If you're not, then I apologize because that's who I believed I was arguing with this whole time.
>>
>>13790499
>I said one thing
>but now that you've pointed out that it's wrong
>I mean something entirely different
Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.
>>
>>13790291
>best fight in the entire series.
That would be Shin Getter Vs Getter Robo G and it wasn't done by Imagawa
>>
>>13790495
>You say that like it's a story and not TE Lawrence's life being told.
That movie is incredibly removed from reality. You seriously think it was anything like portrayed in the movie? Holy shit, kid.

>I have a different opinion so I'm a troll
This is the classic troll strawman defense. You're shitposting and should fuck off.
>>
>>13790512
>There is a difference between a pulp novel and books considered the greats of their genre.
Different books for different kinds of people. I don't care for artificial barriers (a lot of it is made up, and based on pre-existing hype), when it comes to enjoying a piece of writing.

>Maybe because that's all that ever happens in a Getter thread with mangafags whenever the ovas are brought up.
It's not me who brought it up to you. It's that annoying mangafag, and I don't like him either. I happen to like both ova and manga.

>Assuming you're >>13790324
I'm not. That's a different anon.
>>
Trigger just needs to make an anime out of Getter Zan.
>>
>>13790521
>That movie is incredibly removed from reality.
Actually most of it is not. The majority of the film is directly taken from Lawrence's accounts he wrote at the time along with firsthand accounts from Prince Faisal and General Murray. Ironically the most inaccurate thing in the film is the portrayal of Lawrence himself.
>>
>>13790531
>Different books for different kinds of people.

Let's not defend trash here, they were called pulp for a reason, and a lot of the good writers in it got out of it when they could.
>>
Getter Robo tickles my fancy way more than Gundam. And if I'm honestly looking for a highly engaging political series, I'd probably go with something like Dougram and LOGH. Gundam is middle of the ground and doesn't appeal to me that much.

This is why I don't often like settling for balance between story and style, because Gundam makes it a drag to watch. I don't have the same mindset when I watch a Getter Robo ova, compared to when I watch a Ryousuke Takahashi anime. I like both extremities, not middle grounds.
>>
>>13790546

Gundam has style? I mean it has the iconic mechs but it tends to drown itself in trying to be a "serious" story that oftentimes there's little unique about it.
>>
File: ShinGetterPoseidon004.jpg (80KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
ShinGetterPoseidon004.jpg
80KB, 800x400px
Getter manga
>great action and characters
>unique designs
>ground breaking mecha series that pushes the boundaries of the genre via new ideas and unique execution
>wonderful narrative that explores various aspects of natural selection (dinosaurs empire's decline due to environmental factors, proto-humans vs modern humans, how cosmic radiation may have shaped life, what will happens if human colonize space, why similar forms of life cannot naturally co-exist), questions of causality (whether destiny or free will is real) and the morality of survival despite the damage the human race inflicts on the universe

Getter OVA
>mindless hotblood, characters are generally portrayed as impulsive idiots
>barebones and rushed story that barely establishes itself and never really resolves its plot points
>discards all internal consistency and logic
>hit or miss mecha redesigns ranging from perfection (Armageddon Getter 1) to uninspired edge (Black Getter) to horrible mistake (Shin Poseidon)
>best scenes are inferior versions of manga scenes
>has confused a whole generation of mecha fans into thinking Getter Robo is mindless action and hotblood

And the manga is always brought up because it's the ORIGINAL. That's like getting made at people bringing up the LoTR novels when discussing the movie.
>>
>>13790545
>Let's not defend trash here
The problem here, is that you assume everyone has the same educational background. Yes, there is a such thing as different books for different kinds of people. You don't like the fact that some people enjoy what you think is cheaper and inferior ice cream, but they often are more popular than your hagendaaz and what not.

Go Nagai's stories are trashy, but I enjoy them nevertheless. Does it matter whether it's high brow or not? Absolutely not. As far as I'm aware, the only thing that matters to me is my enjoyment of the series, and that goes for everyone else here. I don't understand this push by other people to force me go into more substantial stories. If they come my way, cool; I'm always in for something different, but I don't actively seek them out just because other people said they were classics.

At the end of the day, Getter is a simple fun story about dinosaurs and robots. If people were expecting more, too bad, but I don't feel that defending whether its high browishness or shitting on the lack of it would lead you to a proper discussion. We can do this all day, and the outcomes will be the same, without anymore new insights.
>>
>>13790536
Oh wow, you're actually retarded. This isn't even funny anymore. The accounts they based the movie on is what makes up the general flow of the story (what happened, what he did, what the results were) but the actual dialogue, scenes and staging is completely fantasy.

It's like the Patton movie. Sure. It follows historical events (Patton's path of rampage across Europe and slapping his soldiers) but everything else is made up fantasy. Hence the "based on a true story" angle. Get your head out of fantasy land.
>>
>>13790556
Oh god, it's the "Go Nagai is trashy crap and that's why I love it" retard.

Go Nagai didn't become a manga pioneer by being shallow and trashy, bro. Just because you miss the subtexts and political/social criticisms of his works doesn't mean everyone else does.
>>
>>13790553
It makes you wonder if Getter will ever get the Jojo treatment and get fully adapted for once (assuming there is a studio that can throw enough money at DP). Granted, there would still be no ending.
>>
>>13790561
>Go Nagai didn't become a manga pioneer by being shallow and trashy, bro.
I'm not talking about Harenchi Gakuen. I'm talking about stuff like Iron Virgin Jun.
>>
>>13790564
>I'm talking about stuff like Iron Virgin Jun.
You mean where he flipping gender roles in 1980s Japan and criticizing the way society treats young girls (and their perceived purity) by showing her parents chaining her up and stuff? There's a ton of social commentary in Iron Virgin Jun.
>>
>>13790561
Also, there are clear times when Nagai wants to make a point, and when he's just having fun.

Same for Ishikawa.
>>
>>13790576
That still doesn't excuse your nonsensical stance.
>>
>>13790575
Slow there.

There's some commentary to be found, Nagai's over the top style makes it really hard to see it, to the point of being non-existent.
>>
>>13790583
>There's some commentary to be found, Nagai's over the top style makes it really hard to see it, to the point of being non-existent.

"No"
Proof: Nagai is a top level manga pioneer with critical acclaims for 40+ years
>>
>>13790585
It's good to be a fan, but you're doing him a disservice by putting him on a really high pedestal. Nips don't like him that much.

You don't like the Iron Virgin Jun example. Fine. Try Henchin Pokoider.
>>
>>13790591
>Nips don't like him that much.
>one of the best selling, most critically acclaimed, genre defining and longest lasting mangaka in the industry
lol You're done, son.
>>
>>13790598
I think your delusion is grand. Nagai was popular for his time, but not anymore. He didn't even make it to top 10 / 20 of all time best manga artists in recent japanese conducted polls (Yet his sensei like Ishinomori would easily make it). Harenchi Gakuen ranked number 1 during his time, but like I said, his popularity was only soaring through the roof in the late 60s and 70s.

Where Nagai really broke the cattle's neck was abroad in countries like Italy, Spain and France.
>>
>>13790611
石ノ森章太郎のアシスタントを経て、1967年『目明しポリ吉』でデビュー。代表作に『ハレンチ学園』『あばしり一家』『デビルマン』『マジンガーZ』『キューティーハニー』など。少年漫画の世界に性やバイオレンスの表現を大胆に取り入れ、後続の漫画家に大きな影響を与えた。また1972年の『デビルマン』以降、多数のテレビアニメ作品に共同企画者・原作者として関わっている。1980年、『凄ノ王』により第4回講談社漫画賞を受賞した。
1996年より1999年まで日本SF作家クラブ会長、2005年より大阪芸術大学キャラクター造形学科教授を務める。また、2009年より手塚治虫文化賞選考委員を務める。
現存する四大週刊少年誌(週刊少年ジャンプ、週刊少年マガジン、週刊少年サンデー、週刊少年チャンピオン)及び、休刊した週刊少年誌3誌(週刊ぼくらマガジン、週刊少年キング、週刊少年宝島)全てに連載経験を持つ唯一の漫画家でもある。
He's still huge in Japan. Unlike Ishinomori, Nagai is still alive and kicking. Just in 2009, he won the Tezuka award for just being Go Nagai.
No matter how you look at it, you cannot claim that
>>
>>13790638
You don't understand. I'm not saying that he's not popular. All I'm saying is that he's not as popular as you think he is. And no, Ishinomori is still bigger than Nagai according to a poll I saw.

>Just in 2009, he won the Tezuka award for just being Go Nagai.
Actually, he became a jury on the Tezuka Award.
>>
Watch neither G Gundam or Shin Mazinger Z next, watch the 2004 version of Tetsujin 28-gou. It's tge next logical step after Giant Robo.
>>
>>13790517
The only thing that's pathetic is your death.

*pulls out gun*

Bon voyage bitch.
>>
>>13790484
>If you pay attention, you can see that there are embedded plot developments in the first three episodes that are not resolved that I didn’t let them use.
What are these embedded plot developments? The two other clones? Saotome? The old war? Hayato being possessed?
>>
>>13790245
It's not like it wouldn't have been in it with Imagawa though, you do understand that they design characters before they make the show, right?
>>
It would have been fucking terrible if Imagawa finished it.

A lot of people like to shit on Armageddon because it was three episodes longer than it needed to be, and it's not an adaptation of the manga, but that doesn't matter. Armageddon still FELT like Getter (more Go than anything). It had the messy art, the Getter's frantic movement, and the harsh (if subverted) existentialism of the original. None of the characters seem the same at first, but Kei makes a great Sho and Go was sufficiently crazy even if it took him a while to get there.

If Getter Armageddon had been directed by Imagawa in its entirety, then the it would have wound up exactly like Shin Mazinger. You can almost see it starting with all the mystery and betrayal and lack of ability for any of the charactets to talk to each other for dramatic effect. If the series continued as it started, it would have ultimately ended with Hayato and Saotome constantly one up-ing each other until Ryouma eventually consumed the universe in Getter Emperor. I don't know if Getter Emperor had been fully imagined when Armageddon started but its ideas were there by the time Go ended. That sounds exciting though, right? Wrong. You know damn well there would have been more than two or three cocktease episodes if Imagawa were in charge.

This "Imagawa should have been the one to finish Armageddon :(((" circlejerk needs to fucking stop. It's awful. I like G Gundam. I like Tetsujin 28-Gou. Hell, I even liked parts of Shin Mazinger and Giant Robo-- but if you genuinely think Armageddon would have been better if the king of "it's fucking nothing" were in charge, you're delusional. The only thing Imagawa can consistently do right is make silly-looking giant robots look scary.
>>
Why is everyone in this thread so angry can't we just be friends and mutually masturbate to robots
>>
>>13791626
0/10
drop out
>>
>>13791753
Because anything related to Imagawa and Getter inspires pure autism.
>>
>>13791753
The Western Getter fanbase is gradually going insane from the lack of anime entries after New, so it's not really possible, apparently. Best to wait for a new thread.
>>
>>13791788
>The Western Getter fanbase is gradually going insane
So, uh, keikaku dohri then, right? We're succumbing to the will of Getter.
>>
>>13791753
>20 posters
It's the same reason as always with the same pattern of Imagawa/Nagai/manga bashing and Kawagoe praise.
>>
File: science guy.jpg (29KB, 396x400px) Image search: [Google]
science guy.jpg
29KB, 396x400px
>>13791867
>Nagai/manga bashing
>Kawagoe praise

>Imagawa bashing
>manga bashing

Imagawafags can't even read the complaints against them.
>>
>>13791753
Either it's Anti-Gettefag pulling the strings or >>13791788

Getter Go adaptation fucking when
>>
>>13791930
It's "spic", your boogeyman is called "spic"
>>
>>13792713
>boogeyman
yeah and you totally didn't just bump this near dead thread with your spicposting
nope
not at all
>>
>>13791867
I have never seen anyone, on the internet in general or /m/ in particular, praise Kawagoe for anything other than Cyborg 009 (2001), where the most common compliment is "This is a much better directed adaptation than I would have expected from Jun Kawagoe." The man's the mecha equivalent of white bread or unflavored ice cream.
>>
>>13792764
Lurk more. Post less.
>>
>>13792764
I'm praising him right now. I got into Dynamic Pro because of Kawagoe. If you've actually seen Cyborg 009 vs Devilman, he actually managed to play off both series rather well, while a different director could have easily turned this into some personal fanwank.

Kawagoe is a good mecha director, and a strong storyboarder. Cyborg 009 2001 was good, because once again, Kawagoe recreated the manga to near perfection. Imagawa would have taken the same material, and totally do a 180 on it. Plenty of directors have worked with Nagai anime in the past, and yet, it's Jun Kawagoe who's always getting picked. He got trusted with Devilman, of all things, not Imagawa.

That said, I don't hate Imagawa, in fact I love his works as well.

The problem is with faggots who must either choose one or the other. There's nothing wrong with liking both.
>>
>>13792817
This. I feel like Armageddon would have been better if they stuck with Imagawa, but Kawagoe is still one of my favorite directors. Shin Vs. Neo is near flawless, and Kotetsushin Jeeg is also great (last episode is a little eh though)
>>
>>13792801
You mean for stuff like Kotetsushin Jeeg or Shin VS Neo Getter? Doesn't really garner more attention than "this was fun." SKL has a mixed reception. Mazinkaiser is pretty highly regarded. Then there's New Getter where even die hard Getter fans shit on it for being a mediocre pseudo adaptation of the manga, or the SRW shows he did which are the definition of average. Most people don't even refer to him by name, they're generally positive about his shows, but the fact he directed them rarely comes up.
>>
>>13790371
God, you're a cuck
>>
>>13792824
Shin VS Neo has a super rushed finale, Shin Jeeg has an incredibly boring protagonist and a meh story. The whole time I was watching it I was waiting for the cool Jeeg to arrive, and he only does shit in the second to last episode.
>>
the only time Hayato gets to die is in Armageddon, if every other Getter he is left behind to train more pilots to fight and die. Pour one out for Hayato.
>>
>>13792843
The story in Shin Jeeg is far better than the one in the Getter ovas.
>>
>>13792827
I couldn't care much for Mazinkaiser, but SKL was the shit for me. I rewatched it a shit load of times like it was religion. I saw praise for it outside of /m/. For some reason, /m/ can't wrap its head around the fact that SKL is a fun little tribute to heavy metal, and instead spam SKL threads with buzzwords. It's just sad.
>>
>>13792713

I never got why they're called spics. Aren't the obnoxious getter fans usually Italians?
>>
>>13792827
>Then there's New Getter where even die hard Getter fans shit on it for being a mediocre pseudo adaptation of the manga

I don't know, most people I think of that have seen New tend to just say "eh, it was ok"
>>
File: pray for your ass.jpg (132KB, 800x593px) Image search: [Google]
pray for your ass.jpg
132KB, 800x593px
>>13792843
>an incredibly boring protagonist
>Ragging on Kenji

>and he only does shit in the second to last episode.
That scene was totally worth the wait, though. And new Jeeg isn't bad either.

As much as I loved SvN's finale, though, I guess it could've been longer.
>>
>>13792827
>Then there's New Getter where even die hard Getter fans shit on it for being a mediocre pseudo adaptation of the manga,
This is the most hilarious and most pathetic thing about die hard "Getter fans". Do they even realize that the manga was only fully scanlated in 2012?

I watched New Getter Robo in 2008, and i remember liking it. I don't trust /m/ opinions on anything. They're often full of made up shit. For a long time, New Getter has always been considered to be nearly as good as Armageddon, outside of /m/, but here comes /m/ with its hot opinions about SvN being the best OVA of them all, and that's all because someone only repeated it several times till it became gospel.
>>
File: 1453612332984.jpg (6KB, 260x241px) Image search: [Google]
1453612332984.jpg
6KB, 260x241px
>>13792879
>about SvN being the best OVA of them all, and that's all because someone only repeated it several times till it became gospel.

That miiiiight have been me
>>
>>13792903
Exactly. All you had to do was repeat something till it became a meme, and not before long, people started believing it and repeating it too. People's opinions are shaped by memes here, no actual critical thought happened.
>>
>>13792843
>the cool Jeeg
>implying Hell Slap, Jeeg Bazooka, and Mach Drill isn't cool as fuck
>>
>>13792934
If it makes you feel any better, I do legitimately like it the most. I'm hardly one for ironic bullshit when it comes to anime I like.
>>
>>13791760
Fantastic counterargument
>>
File: 1452405791693.gif (710KB, 140x130px) Image search: [Google]
1452405791693.gif
710KB, 140x130px
>>13790484
>>If you pay attention, you can see that there are embedded plot developments in the first three episodes that are not resolved that I didn’t let them use.
>that I didn't let them use
>I didn't let them use
>didn't
>let
>them
>use

Imagawa, why?
>>
Smells like burrito and pasta ITT
>>
>>13792934
Very true. All I had to do was call Getterfags autistic a couple of times, which is true anyway, and now I've got several people siding with me, whether it be for the memes or otherwise
>>
>>13795963
>AH WHAT A LOVELY MORNING
>NO JOB
>NO AMBITIONS
>NO FRIENDS
>NO LIFE
>WHAT TO DO?
>I KNOW, I'LL BUMP MY DYING SHITPOST THREAD WITH MORE SHITPOSTING RIGHT BEFORE IT FALLS OFF THE BOARD
>WOW I'M SO italian
>>
>>13795963
>now I've got several people siding with me
Holy shit. Are you actually looking for compassion on 4chan out of all places? Could you be related to Clawshrimpy? Because you seem to be just as sad as him.

If I were you, I'd probably get checked.
>>
>>13795979
See >>13792713
>>
>>13795998
>If I were you, I'd probably get checked.
>says the getterfag
>>
>>13795998
No. I'm just citing an example of what that anon mentioned: if you repeat something enough, other people will start to believe it, memetically or not. Could care less about the compassion of random nobodies on the internet
>>
>>13790219
You fucking better watch G Gundam.
>>
>>13796016
sounds like I struck a nerve.
>>
>>13796019
>if you repeat something enough, other people will start to believe it, memetically or not.
Does it work with the spic as well?
>>
>>13796055
Shut up spic
>>
>>13796066
No. Even the people here aren't dumb enough to fall for a lie that blatantly stupid
>>
>>13796080
You're not fooling anyone.
>>
>>13796089
I don't get what you mean
>>
>>13796107
He means that you're not fooling anyone spic
>>
>>13790451
>I used the word special to mean exemplary. That is it above that is the standard.
Which the Getter manga is, at least as far as /m/ material with giant robots goes, which isn't saying much, but is still important enough to be of note.
>>
>>13790219
>Getter Armageddon could have been even better if they let Imagawa finish it
>when it had worse music, mechanical and character designs from the very start
Yeah, no. Go be blatantly wrong somewhere else.
>>
>>13798995
>and character designs
fuck you, Armageddon Ryoma is literally the best character design of all time
>>
>>13799002
>came from some garbage 80s manga nobody with any taste knows about
>anything resembling good
>>
>>13799002
Are you 14?
>>
>>13800436

He's an Getterfag, and as such has the mentality that edgy equals good, so he might as well be.
>>
>>13790219

Both.

Getter Robo sucks overall.
>>
>>13802914
>an Getterfag
>an
Fuck off spic.

At least learn some English because you embarrass yourself even more.
>>
>>13803070
>he made one mistake
>SPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC!1!!!!1
you getterfags sure have some serious autism.
>>
>>13803086
>one mistake
Not all mistakes are equal, you dumbshit. It's not a simple typo considering he added an "n''. This means that he doesn't have a grasp on the language and should fuck off back to Garada.

If he's no spic, but a stinking yank, then he should probably kill himself.
>>
>>13803125
>It's not a simple typo considering he added an "n''
Yes it is you dumb shit he just typed fast without proofreading his post. If you actually read the rest of his post you'd knew there's nothing wrong with it, so your spic boogeyman doesn't apply to him.
>>
>>13803140
>without proofreading his post.
That's even worse. Shitposters should have some standards. Even I have those when I shitpost about Gundam Zeta and the likes. You're a retard for defending him.

This is a sad day for /m/, when even the shitposters can't properly shitpost about a series they hate. Put some effort into it you filthy spics.
>>
>>13803163
>waaah spic spic waaah
Holy shit this is some serious case of autism
>>
>>13803163
Just do it already. Your parents won't care as long as it's not too messy.
>>
>>13802932
>sucks
A greater understatement has never been said
>>
>>13803178
>>13803185
>Just do it already.
Fortunately I'm no spic.

If I were, I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

Fucking disgusting smelly spics.
>>
>>13804506
You don't fool anyone spic.
>>
>>13804539
>projecting
Thread posts: 153
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.