[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was this a super robot show?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10

File: Neon_Genesis_Evangelion.jpg (3MB, 2614x1639px) Image search: [Google]
Neon_Genesis_Evangelion.jpg
3MB, 2614x1639px
I just finished this and EoE and I'm not entirely sure; what do you guys think? Can you give me any insight?
>>
>>13768046
>what do you guys think?

I don't give a shit about the distinction.
>>
File: 1446466784193.png (90KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
1446466784193.png
90KB, 500x501px
>>
File: 1451853266431.png (11KB, 259x288px) Image search: [Google]
1451853266431.png
11KB, 259x288px
>>13768049
this is the most pressing issue of 2016
>>
>>13768049
I'd really like to know. I'm just getting into mecha and I sometimes get mixed up on some things. You guys are like experts and have sen a ton of stuff over the years, so it would really be helpful if you could set me straight. Thanks!
>>
>>13768046
Here's some Insight.
>>
File: 1432434103583.jpg (82KB, 1124x628px) Image search: [Google]
1432434103583.jpg
82KB, 1124x628px
>>13768046
why the fuck arent they lined up with their god damn evas
>>
>>13768064
It really doesn't matter though. A mostly arbitrary distinction between robot performance doesn't matter nearly as much as the actual quality of the work.
>>
This is actually super important issue that a lot of "fans" dont get. SUPER ROBOTS are anything with super powers or generally implosible. However, EVAs are REAL ROBOTS, or robots used by the military. A lot of people on this board will tell you shit like "The EVAs could never have been made" or "You can't actually link a soul to a machine" but they're just straight up wrong and clearly not reading the explicit definition: USED BY THE MILITARY!!! The EVAs are used by Nerv, Nerv is part of the JSDF, the JSDF is the gosh darned MILITARY! Let me spell it out for you idiots: THE MILITARY USED THE EVAS. And don't even get me started on the autists who think they're cybords. I'm sorry to get so heated, but this is a really important issue and all mecha fans should know this. Good luck on your adventure through the mecha genre!
>>
>>13768115
This so fucking much. The board had gone downhill so much with users like >>13768086 who for God knows why just don't seem to care.
>>
>>13768046
It's Not Ultraman.
>>
File: 42629_front.jpg (46KB, 333x480px) Image search: [Google]
42629_front.jpg
46KB, 333x480px
>>13768115
>>13768129
This.
>>
It's a go fuck yourself show.
>>
>>13768046
I'd think most people would say Super because the mechs are huge (inconsistently at that), have unrealistic abilities and there isn't really too much of an attempt to make them realistic. I personally think it's more of a Toku thing though, what with Anno's love for Toku and it literally being giant humanoids in suits.

Side note: watch Eva a second time. It's like watching a different show. If you liked it the first time, you'll love it the second.
>>
>>13768115
EVA units are based on Alium technology and they fought aliums.

A real robot show explicitly has to fulfill anyone of the two criteria
1)mech powered by man made super tech without a single artifact from aliums
2)human enemies. No aliums or ayy lamo

Hence, NGE is super robot show
>>
>>13768254
Evangelion units are cyborgs, not true robots. Each one is am angel and human soul combined and protected by armor, hence they aren't pure robots at all. Technically speaking, one would be hard pressed to find a true mecha fan to classify this show as true mecha
>>
>>13768046
Eva is pure super robot. Only newfags think it's real robot because they think real robot = mature or dark.

>>13768115
Stop trolling.

>>13768225
>I personally think it's more of a Toku thing though
You're an idiot.

>>13768404
And you should kill yourself. Technically speaking, you're mentally handicapped and shouldn't procreate or use up any more resources.
>>
>>13768046
It just keeps tumbling down.
>>
Despite it's occasionally dark tone, neon genesis evangelion is a super robot show
Shinji goes into his big bad robot and fights all sorts of zany mosnters at a rate of about once an episode
Sometimes his friends help out in their big bad robots as well, and they fight those aliens together

People who say it is a real robot show dont actually know what the distinction is
>>
>>13768162
Getter Robo is best real robot
>>
File: 1408958548976.png (430KB, 824x720px) Image search: [Google]
1408958548976.png
430KB, 824x720px
tl:dr - there is no answer

Super robots came after super heroes. Yet some of the things that make heroes "super" aren't very extraordinary at all. Consider batman. He simply has some gadgets and intellect, no "super" powers to speak of. Therefore, a super robot would not necessarily equal super powers. You wouldn't call batman a real-hero would you? Why bother with the distinction then?

Because the object in question is a robot, not a human. The robots/mecha in question are fictional in nature and hence their very construction is up for interpretation and debate. Since robots are composite and complex machines it is sometimes difficult to pinpoint the source of what makes their technology possible. It could be a series of fictional scientific advancements, or a supernatural deity. Evangelion further obscures this source by applying biblical references to alien technology - the fruit of life, aka s2 engine. Essentially it tries to deprecate "god" and elevate humans to the point where they actually become one and the same.

Evangelion doesn't paint its world in black and white, it instead paints it in grey and leaves the interpretation to each individual viewer. EVA-01 is essentially a god with its s2 engine, and I can tell you with certainty, if people can't reach a consensus on whether god even actually exists, they sure as hell wont reach consensus on whether god is actually super or real.
>>
It's neither. It's a deconstruction of the Mecha genre, it's a post-modernist look into the genre itself and it fuses elements of both super and real mecha anime to create something that belongs to neither.

This is the only objective answer, and the one that Anno himself stands by.
>>
>>13768046
Yes. Ignore butthurt spergs like this: >>13768115
>>
File: 51.jpg (22KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
51.jpg
22KB, 576x432px
>>13768519
Your post is bad and you should feel bad.

>>13768046
Evangelion is a super robot show. To determine if something's super robot, you first can determine that it's not real robot.

A real robot anime would place the characters in a war or military-like setting. The machines, though they may be special models, are seen as a common tool around the world. This is the single defining trait of real robot anime that absolutely must be fulfilled. Therefore, we can determine that Evangelion is not real robot.

Furthermore, we can prove that it's super robot by examining the elements that people commonly cite as real robot.

>NERV is part of the military
Yes, but this follows super robot convention. The Saotome labs and Photon Power lab were both connected to, and worked with, the military. However, in all of three of these series, robots are presented as cutting edge super weapons and are quite rare.

>EVAs need maintenance and have limited operation time
Again, this is something commonly seen in super robot series and dates back even to Tetsujin 28 which is the forefather of mecha.

>Evangelion is dark and is mostly about the characters rather than robots
Welcome to mecha. Enjoy your stay.

>Eva is a hybrid mecha anime. It's not super or real baka!
Evangelion is firmly rooted in super robot tradition. There is not a single thing that Evangelion does that isn't found in the super robot genre and there is no convincing argument about why Evangelion should be considered real robot in even the slightest sense.
>>
>>13768519
>Consider batman. He simply has some gadgets and intellect, no "super" powers to speak of.

>an untracable fucking clown car
>perfect recovery from having his spine snapped
>survived being shot in the head by the ultimate kill-beam
>bullets generally miss him
>he doesn't have to build up momentum to wildly swing all over the place

Batman has a shitton of powers, the stories just downplay them as much as they make a show of Superman's.
>>
>>13768578
Ok anon but how about this
Iron man has more reasonable powers than most gundams (he can fly and shoot lasers, thats it)
BUT
hes a super hero so his armour is a super robot
>>
>>13768519
>>13769011
>super hero
That's not how it works. Mazinger was called a super robot because it had super weapons, that's where the term comes from.
>>
>>13768046
>was this a super robot show
Okay, let's see:
>magic """robots""" that fight using magic powers
>design influenced primarily by Ultraman with elements borrowed from Mazinger
>every scene is drawn for maximum effect with complete disregard for scale or powerlevels
Looks like you got a super robot anime on your hands, boss.
>>
>>13768115
You have to be over 18 years of age to post here
>>
>>13769072
>Mazinger was called a super robot because it had super weapons, that's where the term comes from.
Mazinger was called a super robot because it's what his theme song called him.
>>
File: DaiGuard.jpg (78KB, 440x354px) Image search: [Google]
DaiGuard.jpg
78KB, 440x354px
>>13768574
>A real robot anime would place the characters in a war or military-like setting. The machines, though they may be special models, are seen as a common tool around the world
Hi there.
>>
>>13769806
That's a super robot series.
>b-b-but they pay taxes
Real world problems doesn't make it real robot.

The DaiGuard meme needs to die.
>>
>>13769914
Pretty sure he posted Dai-Guard as an example of a super robot that anon described as a real robot.
>>
>>13769914
What does make it real robot then? Your "militiary setting" and "mass produced robots?" (nevermind the fact that Dai Guard does get mass produced)

In that case, are Gunbuster and Dancouga real robots?

The super/real distinction is the meme that needs to die.
>>
>>13769926
>Dai-Guard
>robots are treated like a common tank or gun
No
>>
>>13769947
Their designs say no, so the answer is no, they aren't.
>>
>>13769947
You need to die.
>>
>>13770096
Because he has an opinion, a correct one at that? He's still wrong since Super/Real has nothing to do with story elements, but he is right in pointing out the absurdity of those notions.
>>
>>13770049
If I didn't know anything about Gundam, I would have thought it was super robot based on the designs. I have this problem with the entire franchise.
>>
I personally would classify the show as Super Robot, not particularly because of a list of objectively defined criteria, but purely due to the fact that Anon intended to use the stereo typical tropes of past Super Robot shows as a distraction or plot device to drive his point across. To me, the series is offering something more substantial than your average teenage robot shows, it is a coming of age, teen vs real world metaphor, but disguised as a toy show.
>>
>>13770126
Don't put words in my mouth. I don't think super/real exists as a distinction specifically because of shows like the ones I've been mentioning. It is absolutely silly to attempt to categorize shows in this manner. What's the point other than to start autistic arguments?

I mean yes, we have shows like Gurren Lagann on one end and VOTOMS on the other, but there's a huge amount of shows in between those two and bringing up which is which is nothing but bait.
>>
>>13768578
>perfect recovery from having his spine snapped
Thanks to his black psychic girlfriend at the time
>survived being shot in the head by the ultimate kill-beam
It's not just a kill-beam, it can do a lot of unreasonable shit, like sending people back in time to relive multiple deaths.
>>
>>13770178
Someone seems a bit salted because emailed they are wrong. Watch 100 episodes more of gundam and then come back :^)
>>
>>13770817
>emailed they are wrong
What? I mean, I know you're shitposting due to the :^) and all, but seriously.
>>
>>13770822
It's hard to shitpost when you are this autistic very sorry
>>
File: 1405551811194.png (2MB, 1002x925px) Image search: [Google]
1405551811194.png
2MB, 1002x925px
>>13768046
I know this is /m/ and all, but damn, so much salt in this thread. Seems saltier than the last 5 "are Eva's real or super" threads we've had.

Honestly I'd say Wikipedia (for what it is) sums this up pretty well --- "Inevitably, there are some types of mecha that are difficult to classify as either a real robot or a super robot. Some of these include [...] the Evangelion units from Neon Genesis Evangelion, which follow the general motif of real robots, but their origin and abilities are more like the typical super robot."

So in other words, it's got elements of both so you can't really classify them as one or the other. Just enjoy your Chinese cartoons.
>>
>>13770911
>it's got elements of both so you can't really classify them as one or the other
Yes, you can. Also, Wikipedia is fucking stupid and blatantly wrong in this case. Go back to whatever shit hole you crawled out of.
>>
>>13770850
I'm not even that anon you responded to, but alright.
>>
>>13770911
>maximum trolling
>>
>>13770919
>Yes, you can.
No you can't, because they're hazy bullshit definitions that nobody can agree on and everybody thinks they're right about, and they amount to nothing.
>>
>>13768065
man changing to winter tyres must be a real bitch on that one
>>
>>13771472
They've got classes for it up in Byrgenwerth. It's not too hard.

Just don't get any blood on it, you'll be fine.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.