[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whatever happened to that guy (or those guys, I don't remember)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9

File: 1435257498626.jpg (157KB, 900x1109px) Image search: [Google]
1435257498626.jpg
157KB, 900x1109px
Whatever happened to that guy (or those guys, I don't remember) who started scanlating Guyver to stick it to Guyver Advocacy's elitism? Did they get silenced or did they just give up?
>>
not sure how this is /M/ but good question. I found the chapter where aptom and guyver 1 make a temporary form to sneak into a chronos base and talk to a Zoalord. I think that's as far as well get anytime soon desu
>>
>>13766730
He gave up.
>>
What a waste, and he even started on chapters that were already translated to begin with in the first place.
>>
Honest question
How come nobody releases what is already scanned by those chucklefucks?
>>
>>13767654

Don't they embed a unique waterstamp in your copy so that they can identify and blacklist if you do?
>>
>>13767665
That's what I hear but....so what? Some schmuck probably has all of what is released, so he could just release all of it to the secret club or something and then be blacklisted

But then what? Everyone would be all caught up with the leak. They wouldn't have an absolute advantage anymore
>>
>>13767700

Six months ago I would have asked what was stopping some other group from popping up and sticking the bird at GA, but we saw someone try that and look how it turned out. I just don't understand why everyone is so scared of taking this on.
>>
>>13767730
Actually my postulating is pointless
I just checked the secret club and there are Guyver scans all the way up to 30
There are 32(31?) volumes out
>>
>>13767745

31, but I think the series is a good ways into what will become 32.
>>
>>13766730
you talking about the guy who was scanning his own copies of the viz translations of the manga? I think he did three of the viz releases
>>
File: 22758484_p0.png (154KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
22758484_p0.png
154KB, 500x500px
>>13767788

Book 32 comes out Feb 26th (though Amazon originally had it on the 23rd), and the manga is currently on hiatus ( probably for the artist to do touch ups etc... for the release).
>>
>>13767654
The people who are willing to go through the ridiculous requirements they set out to get scans are probably too committed to do something like that. Hopefully when the series finally ends someone will dump the rest.
>>
>>13768040
Aren't the 'ridiculous requirements':
>Buy copy of manga volume
>submit proof-of-purchase/reciept
>Recieve scanlation
>?
>Profit

>when the series ends someone will dump the rest
Good strategy, but at the pace it's going, that'll be a good while. (Archnafel finally tracks down the Uranus, only to find they've all died out?)
>>
File: e0095400_4affdc9c813e9.jpg (110KB, 600x610px) Image search: [Google]
e0095400_4affdc9c813e9.jpg
110KB, 600x610px
>>13767730

It's just not that popular, or that good of a series really. Surte, lots of people remember it fondly... But not enough to warrant any official release or much merchandise.

Granted, a LOT of shit worse than it gets scanlated...

I mean sure, its release schedule is worse than Berserk's... But it only averages 10-16 pages per month, so that really isn't all that much.

I think the best bet might be to petition groups like evil-genius, since they do similar type of monthly releases ( Berserk, Zetman).
>>
Is guyver actually /m/ though??
>>
File: 32046103_p0.jpg (180KB, 1003x1416px) Image search: [Google]
32046103_p0.jpg
180KB, 1003x1416px
>>13768152

It usually falls under "Bio-mechanical" and/or "Power Armor" like some other Toku genre stuff (which people will always debate on anyway).

The "Control medal" is essentially a mechanical device keeping the Guyver organism in check.

It's no less /m/ than Evangelions or other things "Magical" that get posted regularly.
>>
>>13768108
is that it? Sounds like
>scanlators try to be respectful to original creators
>people throw a bitch fit

Doesn't really seem like that bad of a policy to me, but I guess I don't know the details.
>>
>>13768152
Anyone who has to ask this has not been on /m/ long enough. Lurk moar.
>>
>>13768108
>>13768220
They also have an option where you just pay the scanlators directly for scans. Respecting the creator is just a guise to cover the fact that they wanna lock out as many people as possible only keeping those desperate enough to go through their regulations in order to prevent criticism on the quality of their scanlation while also getting paid for it.
>>
File: tumblr_n3bepcjSPS1s81xnto1_1280.jpg (138KB, 850x1200px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n3bepcjSPS1s81xnto1_1280.jpg
138KB, 850x1200px
>>13768220

Under the new management, yeah, that seems to be about it ( there was some other system that was in place before, but the old owner got all pissy and nearly deleted the entire site)

But it's more about the perception of the Manga community these days.

So many manga are freely scanlated that everyone assumes that all manga should be scanlated and free. And you can't really blame anyone for thinking this way because of the culture now surrounding it.

Legally, is scanlating and posting shit online for free, wrong? Of course. But that isn't stopping this trend at all.

And with so many big and small groups, you'd think that you'd be able to find any title... Except in the case of the Guyver... there is only a small group of fans scanlating for like fans... Any other group is more than welcome to get the raws ( someone on japan-legend posts them every month as they are released, and are still available) and start working on it... But no one wants to really take the plunge.

The one guy that did attempt to do it, really seemed to only do it out of spite, and not the love for the series, so it was never going to last.
>>
File: l.php.jpg (126KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
l.php.jpg
126KB, 1000x1500px
>>13768253

It seems that system is now long gone. I believe the new management is running a " You own the volume (or a majority of them), you get the scans" system... but they have clearly trashed the old one.

Especially after someone ( I am guessing you know who you are) threatened "legal" action on the old owner, and they got into a hissy fit and nearly deleted the site... Then passed it onto someone else.

But yeah, the old system was... weird. I never fully understood it exactly.. but then I didn't care to.
>>
>>13768276
Ah that's good to know. I was actually trying to check their site after I made that post to see if it was still up but a lot of the pages seem to be down right now.
>>
>>13768261
Interesting. I don't really follow digital manga releases, but my nihongo should be good enough in 2-3 years to start translation projects. I'm too old for edrama though and will probably just stick to rare interviews from the 60s/70s/80s, forgotten manga, and old shows that will never get subbed. Seems like many of these fansubbers/scanlators really care about the # of downloads they get, which is the wrong motivation.
>>
>>13768132

The 80s movie and OVA were really popular if I remember right, the anime from a few years back not so much.

Those two live action movies have something of a cult following too, the second one moreso because it is both an overall better movie and stars David Hayter.
>>
>>13768220
I know for a lot of people it's because "scanlation = free", but for me personally it really rubs me the wrong way that they're playing at doing a "legal" release without actually going through the legal channels and licensing the series outright.
>>
>>13769730

I think I would be less bothered by their whole policy if they didn't have the option of paying them for their translations straight out. Their base policy of proving you own the raw (thereby actually supporting the author) is okay, but when you're paying them money for someone else's work, that's when it becomes a problem. There's no telling where that money goes, but it's sure as hell not going to Yoshiki Takaya.
>>
File: image.png (3MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
3MB, 1536x2048px
Can't you guys just translate from the raw or chink scans
>>
>>13769763

They don't anymore. The new management threw that shit out.
>>
>>13769730

Because all fans have enough money and publishing background to do it right?

Buying rights is expensive, and if you're not a publishing company, most places wouldn't even take your call.
>>
>>13770759
That's part of my point, trying to do a release ""legally"" when they're not in any actual position to do so is dumb.
>>
>>13769851
the problem is not the availability of people who knows jap, or that can translate
the problem is the lack of people that WANTS to translate guyver, and and not stoping at the middle/didn't even finish a volume or two
>>
I kind of wish we get to see translated scenes of further talks of Sho and Aptom with that Zoalord before becoming Guyver-Aption, or even the descriptions for it. As well as when confronting with Apollon and using Guyver-Aption to freeze the burning forest, as well as the scenes of Aptom with Guyver-II female who then figures out he was the one that helped her in the earlier chapters.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.