[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the moral of Mobile Suit Gundam?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 13

File: 1269904816781.jpg (665KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1269904816781.jpg
665KB, 1000x1000px
What's the moral of Mobile Suit Gundam?
>>
War is constant, and the protagonists' victories are meaningless. So long as the world desires Gunpla, conflicts will arise again.
>>
Keep fighting in the Gundam or I'll slap you.
>>
the only way to escape the cycle of death is to fuck off in a colony ship
>>
BUY
THE
TOYS
>>
Shit would be marginally better for the world if we had the Gundam Fight.
>>
>War isn't a good thing
>War isn't something that is going to go away anytime soon
>The best thing a person can do doing War is fight for the most moral end
>Pacifism, while ideal, is nowhere near practical
>>
>>13758802
Buy model kits.
>>
>>13758802
Our souls are weighted down by gravity.
>>
>>13758802
War's awesome, then you fucking die and it sucks.
>>
>>13758802
Everything is fucked forever
>>
If you're not a Newtype, you're shit.
>>
>>13758802
Spacenoids are huge fucking losers, and sore losers at that.
>>
File: muh nigga.gif (903KB, 500x242px) Image search: [Google]
muh nigga.gif
903KB, 500x242px
>>13758807
>So long as the world desires Gunpla, conflicts will arise again.
>>
>>13758802
We should drop a colony right on top of Sydney.
>>
>>13758890
Fuck you, I live there.
>>
>>13758802
Keep your shit locked up so it doesn't get jacked by some punk kid.
>>
File: 1445288669783.jpg (63KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1445288669783.jpg
63KB, 960x720px
>>
File: greco-end.jpg (34KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
greco-end.jpg
34KB, 600x338px
>>13758802
Adults all suck and you should travel the world to find your calling.
>>
File: 1434750069019.jpg (73KB, 704x528px) Image search: [Google]
1434750069019.jpg
73KB, 704x528px
Kira Yamato is the lord and savior and if you so much as attempt to touch him then Fukuda will find a way to not only kill you but embarrass you.

See: Nicole walking into Kira's sword in Remaster.
>>
>>13758802
Yes, War is a part of Human Nature, The only way to get eternal peace is by killing all of human race.
But
Gundam also teaches us to always believe in the human potential, no matter how bleak the future is, always has hope for a better future always believe in the human heart and be prepared for it.
>>
>>13758802
WAR IS BAD
>>
War is bad, and the only good ending is UNDERSTANDING.
>>
>>13758802
War sucks, even when being fought with giant robots.
>>
File: it's raining colonies out there.jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
it's raining colonies out there.jpg
37KB, 640x480px
>>13758895
My condolences.
>>
File: 1385883643087.jpg (68KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1385883643087.jpg
68KB, 720x480px
Why would a show obligatory need a moral ? Can't it just portray wars as bloody and inconclusive as it can be ?

The only Gundam show which really had a "moral" was Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket, and still, it doesn't force an Aesop down our throat.

Of course, if Gundam had stopped after the One Year War, we wouldn't have an "Constant and Eternal War" subtext, it would have simply looked like a WWII-IN-SPACE conclusive ending with no new "fight for the survival of dogs bound by gravity".
>>
>>13758895
Don't blame Zeon, blame the Feddies. That attack was meant for a military target at Jaburo and they deflected it so it landed on civilian targets across three continents.
>>
>>13758807
So Build Fighters is once again proven the most realistic, compelling depiction of humanity.
>>
>>13759655
Portraying war as bloody and inconclusive is a moral statement in itself. My issue is that everyone already knows war is hell. Countless books, movies, shows, etc. have stated this ad infinitum. You really need to work a new angle on that theme if you want your story to be compelling nowadays.
>>
>>13758802

No matter how much they try to justify it, Nazis and the Japanese imperialists are stupid, ignorant, self-deluding fucks.

But everyone always forgets that message, so we end up going on the carousal one more time.
>>
The actual message is that it is impossible to escape from conflict, even if you fly away from earth in a cylinder or destroy every weapon with a butterfly, and that nothing can change that not even space magic
>>
>>13759730
*tips kippah*
>>
BUY ALL OUR PLAYSETS AND TOYS
>>
File: 1261719112785.jpg (68KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1261719112785.jpg
68KB, 720x480px
>>13759712
That's an opinion I can respect.
but, formulaic show don't need to redefine their topic every time, and so far Gundam did it enough at some occasion.
A war between Superpower is different from a war against extremist faction (Titan), political remnant, eco-terrorist and so on, but it boil down to lot of shooting, mistake being made, burger eating, dropped colony, Tomino having a field day and advertising brand new Gunpla.

That said, although i LOVE the original minovsky physics and recognize bullshit when it's said physics isn't used, I think Gundam need to die for us to finally get something new.
>>
>>13758802
Gundam was a mistake.
>>
>>13759468
Go to bed Banagher.
>>
File: latest[1].png (910KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
910KB, 1440x810px
>>13759913
> Gundam need to die for us to finally get something new
Everyone does it like that. Kill it completely. Wait 5-7 years. Make a "remake". Works like a charm.
>>
>>13758820
>the only way to escape the cycle of death is to fuck off in a colony ship

That doesn't even work. It spawned the conflict in Turn A and G-Reco.
>>
Pacifism rules.
>>
War isn't fun.
Now go and buy plastic model kits, those are fun.
>>
>>13759993
Works for just about everything they try it on. Doctor Who and Kamen Rider benefited from it. I'm still waiting for the triumphant return of Metal Heroes, but maybe it hasn't been long enough. The Sharivan and Shaider V-Cinemas were great.
>>
>>13758802
WAR IS BAD
>>
>>13760077
worked for scfi too.
Now we have the expanse and it looks very promising.

And the belters are one step away from being just as big a dicks as the spacenoids.
>>
>>13759993
actually I meant it as "STOP THE FUCKING FRANCHISE AND START FROM SCRATCH ON SOMETHING ELSE !!!!" die.

Unlikely I know, they'll probably milk the franchise until the end of time where no start shine anymore (and we will be bitching about retconning Unicorn time travel)
>>
>>13760123
About that show... someone have a Reliable torrent (I take VOSTA or VOSTFR) ? I keep seeing fake website or suspicious .exe file posing as torrent.

Thank you

-from anonymous
>>
People will never be able to understand each other. But, man, the things we could achieve as a race if we can...

Quoting Yas' statements in The Origin.
>>
>>13758802
War is bad and shit.
Also autists are superhumans but since we have no giant robots yet they're just autists.
>>
>>13758802
War. War never changes.
>>
>>13758837

>The best thing a person can do doing War is fight for the most moral end

and to expand on this a bit:

>The most honest ideals can be corrupted by those in power to incite war.

>All sides in war are made up of both good and bad people.
>>
>>13759730

Also, they'll always lose--even whatever passes as a victory is temporary, at best, and more disastrous to their cause more often than not.

The actual laws of physics are arrayed against them, practically.
>>
Jupiter is bad and women shouldn't fight.
Blame adults.
>>
>>13758802
War is always a mistake, and that the old generations must always relinquish their grip on the world before the new, for only the new can carry it forward.

Finally, good intentions are prone to getting hijacked by the Hitler family, it seems.
>>
>>13759655
>Why would a show obligatory need a moral ? Can't it just portray wars as bloody and inconclusive as it can be ?
It's basically impossible to tell a story about something without commenting the thing in some way.
>>
War is bad

I mean regardless of everything else, in the end war causes suffering
>>
>>13760550
>All sides in war are made up of both good and bad people.

Bullshit, name a good person in the Titans who wasn't a brainwashed cyber-NT that stayed in the group because their memories were being held hostage.
>>
>>13761026

Re watch the show.
>>
>>13761056

I've seen it several times, they're all jerks except maybe Mouar.
>>
Humanizing your enemy doesn't change that you have to shoot them.

so why bother
>>
>>13761107

They acted in accordance how one should treat terrorist armed bandits
>>
File: 1248115766060.png (902KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1248115766060.png
902KB, 640x480px
>>13760949
> It's basically impossible to tell a story about something without commenting the thing in some way.

Yes you can, it's not even hard, even a lone author can dim his own bias and depict a War from different perspective without forcing an interpretation or a moral. And when you have several author it get easier because their bias can nullify some of the others.

How those stories turn out ?
They have multiple aspects or interpretation that do not lead to an unequivocal moral. like "W won the war but keep oppressing Y, Y methods were horrible but their reasons to fight were right" or "X won because they didn't wasted money on infinite prototype, but like Y they wouldn't have won without testing several prototypes, maybe X just got lucky, or Y would have won given equal resources"

I'll go as far as saying there is usually no moral in a good story. A good story manage to make you feel like REALITY and the real world don't have hilariously bad moral like Jack Chick tract. IRL everything just happen without a plan behind.
>>
>>13758802
War is bad kids mkay.
>>
>>13758802

If you do something good once and the merch train never ends, you can make that one good thing with very slight variations dozens of times over and over again and still turn a profit.
>>
>>13761201
Showing that everything happens with no plan, that is to say attempting to remove yourself as a writer in order to reflect reality, is itself commentary. Whenever you tell a story, your intent, the reason you decided to spend time writing the story to begin with, shines through.
>>
File: hamburger to be helped.jpg (469KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
hamburger to be helped.jpg
469KB, 1440x1080px
All in all, the "war is bad" message Gundam still holds on to is especially valuable in the current world we live in, where even one-sided unprovoked and baseless invasions are undertaken by people who are supposed to be the civilized, positive forces in the world. Worse yet is how the militaries of said countries just hoover in every Mike and Bob over 18, which is barely high enough an age for a person to attain maturity and responsibility for holding a job, let alone deciding who to kill and who to spare. And then combine it with the constant glorification of war in news media, video games, movies, TV series, comics, cartoons, anime, and to an extent even Gundam itself, and the fact that the poorest, usually the dumbest and most dead-end youthed ones rarely see better alternatives for a steady wage than the army, well... I'd say the world would be in more mature and intelligent hands with Gundam protagonists rather than the teenage jarheads doing the fighting, and the war profiteers and heroism masturbators that instigate them.
>>
>>13760136

I don't know why you think that'll do any good, because just putting one franchise down won't automatically make a good show in it's place. The company working on it won't be any more inclined to make a show that is good, by whatever definition of the word good you want to use, nor will any of the people working on it.

A good show will come along regardless of whether there's another big franchise in place or not, because it's the skill and care of the people making it that matters, not whether there's already something out there or not.
>>
>>13758802
There's a general theme of vengeance in MSG. Char's revenge against the Zabis, Haman's and Icelina's suicide attacks on white base to avenge their lovers' deaths and Char's and Amuro's mutual grudge for Lala's death. It always shows that vengeance leads to tragedy.
>>
>>13759662
>blame the victim
>>
File: 1280015981916s.jpg (399KB, 680x971px) Image search: [Google]
1280015981916s.jpg
399KB, 680x971px
>>13761244

I KNEW I should have added the line : "Do not confuse the plot with a moral"

It's not the same things and one don't call the other !!
A moral in itself is something so utterly subjective that viewers can end up ignoring the author's intents and consider a story to mean something else entirely, assuming they agree on something on particular.
You can even say it's the opposite, a story have to put a lot of effort for a moral to appear. Note that it doesn't make a story any better or worse.

Even Gundam's "War is bad" accepted moral isn't really one, it's more of a description of how it happen in the very specific context of Gundam. Many would gladly argue that warring against Zabi dictator and terrorist is more than justified. Or that the problem isn't the war but the corruption in the Federation...etc

Likewise, one could say the moral is : "Don't force space emigration, they'll bite you in the ass later" and it fail as soon as forced emigration is considered to have prevented the extinction of mankind from asteroid (or itself).

So no, moral don't come packaged within any story
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.