[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Force Awakens VFX Before and After video leaked

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 19

Apparently the youtube channel for the Oscars accidentally uploaded this video earlier today, it got DL'd and mirrored before they pulled it down. Pretty cool look at how they blended practical and CGI.

https://vimeo.com/151719063
>>
alternate link in case disney jews pull this one down

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3may5f
>>
>>
>Original Actor's Performance Replaced by Digital Kylo Ren
>>
>>
>>
>>
And that's about it for my shitty screenshots, I'm sure the super deluxe BD boxset will have more behind the scenes/production footage than I ever would want to watch, but it's interesting to see this so early.
>>
Neat! Time for people to act like hipsters over "hurr durr not 100% practical effects".
>>
>>13747635
all the practical effects in the world can't save the film from boring mechanical/creature/world design. BB8s fucking genius though
>>
>>13747742
hell yes it is. it's the fucking magnet or something isn't it
>>
>>13747744
Magnet and gyroscopes.
>>13747642
Dysney, why?!
>>
File: cwafwaf.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
cwafwaf.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>13747635
Cool indeed.
>>
>>13747666
Nice Ksatryps, Satan.

Also, I've known about TFA's abundant CG for a very long time and it's never really bothered me.

What does bother me is retards that think everything in the prequels is CG while jerking off TFA's "practical only"

Fuck, even Fury Road had it's fair of CG effects. Practical fags are retarded, and probably think all of A WotT's MS were hand drawn too.
>>
File: вфц321.png (805KB, 1116x416px) Image search: [Google]
вфц321.png
805KB, 1116x416px
Old man finally lost it, he's talking to an empty chair!
>>
>>13748031
would been cool if they made a dummy doll
>>
Isn't cg technically more practical than so called practical effects?
>>
>>13747742
But practical effects do help actors to connect with the world, react and interact with the fictional elements of the world, which makes both the characters and the world seem more real.
>>
>>13748226
More practical and cheaper, but you need a certain balance in your movie.

I just watched the prequels these days and I had forgotten how bad all the cgi looked in that movie
>>
>>13747635
movie companies are getting smart and realized people like watching real things more than fancy cartoons.
>>
>>13747744
they used like 8 of them for all the shots they are just fancy rc things. Most of them they use like a puppet.
>>
I never cared that much about cgi or practical effects. Am I being too soft on movies?

If a movie's good, anything else is kind of superficial.
>>
>>13748352
no thats the point. They can put money into writing and acting if they dont bloat the budget with over the top special effects that are done in an instant. Except they use to many european no nam actors these days they really need to stop that.
>>
>>13748237
I thought CGI was more expensive?
>>
>>13748370
I actually like seeing different actors. Famous characters that appear too often break my immersion.
>>
>>13748382
problem is they dont use anyone but dicaprio or dwayne johnson the rest of the movies all use european actors that use an american accent. Its really annoying when you can tell they are doing an american accent too.
>>
>>13748392
Yeah I hate it when every character that's not American is played by an American doing a really bad accent as well
>>
>>13748392
Seriously. Hundreds of stupid kids flock to Hollywood each year. If they are going to recruit a stupid kid who can't act, why not recruit a local one? I don't mind it so much with star wars since there is a tradition there, but in shit like Pacific Rim where Raleigh is supposed to be an American hero, Hunam's rapidly failing accent was intolerable.

If Kevin Costner's failing English accent is a source of ridicule, why should we accept a British person failing an American accent.
>>
>>13748414
Ugh and i hate every director that's not American too.
Also fuck these new Star Wars films. Filming all over the world, none of it in America. It really breaks the immersion, this is America dammnit
>>
>>13748375
CGI is waaaay cheaper, if it was more expensive we wouldn't have had the giant batch of terrible cgi in movies circa 2000
>>
>>13748419
Hunmans normal accent is fucking bizarre, I like it though
>>
>>13748375
It used to be, since computers were really expensive back then to be able to process such animations. But nowadays, anyone can do them, provided they have enough time for it.
>>
>>13748419
Hunnam built his brand in America through Sons of Anarchy, which is pretty damn popular, and apparently he didn't slip his accent too much according to my mom's boyfriend.

Did you see Crimson Peak? I don't even know what kind of accent he was going for there, but it was pretty annoying compared to the .rest of the cast. You think Del Taco would hire a coach for him or something.
>>
>>13748426
no it costs more. Thats why those movies were such garbage.
>>
>>13748421
You sound pretty passionate about your country.
>>
>>13748237
I just wish people wouldn't talk about them as if they abandoned practical effects. There was of course too much cg but the amount of practical effects and what they actually managed to build is insane. Also I think the phantom Menace was made at the perfect time when cg wasn't quite good enough to go completely overboard with it and so more effort had to be put in when deciding where to use it and how to make it blend in. Was phantom Menace shot on film too because that might have helped. Shame the about the story and all that though
>>
>>13748454
its a troll, he thinks I'm being nationalistic becasue I dont like immersion breaking american accents from no name crap actors from Europe in all the movies. Its all so they dont have to pay the american actors so much. Its just being cheap.
>>
>>13748444
That doesn't even make sense
>>
>>13748460
the pre sequels for star wars were entirely cg except for some of the aliens.
>>
>>13748471
they couldnt spend the money needed for writing and acting becasue it all went to cgi. Its one of the main reasons the pre-sequals sucked so bad. That kid that played annakin played a major role in how shitty the movie was. I mean I hated that faggot I couldn't even listen to his robot acting.
>>
>>13748474
im afraid my autistic prequels practical effects chart is not complete
>>
File: star_warshy.gif (2MB, 250x149px) Image search: [Google]
star_warshy.gif
2MB, 250x149px
>>13748460
>>
>>13748495
all cgi movies, pretty much, have stages that arent cgi. I really think the movies were killed from the the pubecent anakin actor. the little kid I thought was pretty good though and I still like that movie except for the piece of shit Jar Jar.
>>
>>13748495
Did you know that no Clone trooper armor was ever produced? Thats because every single fucking clone trooper in the movie is cgi made. They didn't even have a single person put on a armor and do some shots, nope, all CGI, I'm not even a Star Wars fan and I know thats bullshit
>>
File: 57357467475737.jpg (516KB, 1139x852px) Image search: [Google]
57357467475737.jpg
516KB, 1139x852px
>>13748499
>>
>>13748523
I'm not talking about the blue screen you dingus, every single fucking movie in the history of mankind uses green screen. On the other hand, on the pre-quels they they had actually people in costume, droids and aliens to interact with, instead of having nothing to interact, which most of the actors complained about it
>>
>>13748235
That seems to be particularly noticeable with Ford, not as much with the younger actors, in TFA.
>>
File: 3RWG01G.jpg (394KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
3RWG01G.jpg
394KB, 1920x1080px
>>13748454
>>13748421
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPKp29Luryc
>>
>>13748523
>Somebody from /tv/ always posts this as if it's a counterargument
These are shots that couldn't be done without the bluescreens. The issue is when you use it when not required. They were also layered onto miniatures, paintings and real footage rather than massive and kind of fake looking CG landscapes.
>>
>>13751332
You can't honestly expect intellectually stunted Star Wars fanboys to be able to tell the difference, can you?
>>
>>13748521
Clones aren't real people, they don't deserve real armors.
>>
>>13748523

>>13748529
whats the difference between blue screen and green screen?
>>
>>13751945
No difference.
>>
>>13751945
Only the color.

It's like when choosing a transparent color on a graphic editor.
>>
Would any of you happen to have any interesting book pdfs or whatever about SFX/VFX?

Or any reading recommendations, really.

I'm trying to research the subject on a academic level, but there's not a whole lot to go on when it comes to actual published material.
>>
>>13751977
>I'm trying to research the subject on a academic level
You're going to have to say which angle you want to look at it from if you want proper recommendations.
>>
>>13751945
Nothing really. The point of the blue/green screen is that it's easy to digitally remove without accidentally cutting into the actors since they're not even close to the background's color. All you need is a bright, unnatural color.
>>
>>13751978
I'll use the title of our monograph to try and sum it up: "An analysis of the return of practical effects in the film industry using the Star Wars franchise"

I know SFX never really "disappeared", but it was the easiest way to frame what we mean to achieve as a conclusion: to produce a competent film you need to have practical and digital effects in balance.
>>
I work with vfx ask me anything
>>
>>13751986
https://www.visualeffectssociety.com/books/ves-handbook-visual-effects-industry-standard-vfx-practices-and-procedures-second-edition

not really much on sfx but it'll give you a better perspective on the whole process. Fairly easy to find online but beware as it's about 1000 pages long
>>
>>13752003
>900 pages

Thanks bro, I'm sure it'll be useful.
>>
>>13752118
no worries m8
Also, it'd probably help your thesis to use a jurassic park / JP3 comparisson

also watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL6hp8BKB24
>>
>>13751332
>They were also layered onto miniatures, paintings and real footage rather than massive and kind of fake looking CG landscapes.
>>13748495
the technique remains basically unchanged. the problem is that the designs were too over the top to be believable, and too much was crammed onto the screen. Stuff like cg clones was completely unnecessary though
>>
from the /tv/ thread yesterday:

MEGA link here - https://mega.nz/#!EcZXRBwR!0aYbrqLT5Ndwojy3XpeJKU5qL8fNCV1gEDH4wJCHrdQ

>>>/tv/64858373 for webms if you can deal with the autism

>>13752001
do you like your work?
>>
>>13747642
>>13747916
>Dysney, why?!
For character development reasons.
>>
>>13752710
Sure, but why CG mask? They could've easily just put his head in a real, practical helmet. They must've had one. I'm sure of it. It would be cheaper, faster, "real"(whatever it is). Plain more efficient. So, why not?
Or, maybe, they shot that scene as intended, without mask. But later, in editing, decided that mask on works better. Maybe that's what you're trying to say and I'm a dummy.
>>
>>13752736
>they shot that scene as intended, without mask. But later, in editing, decided that mask on works better.
Correct.
>>
File: 1443032363207.gif (2MB, 387x251px) Image search: [Google]
1443032363207.gif
2MB, 387x251px
>>13747638
you are a god among men, anon! well fucking done, good bloody thinking! and thanx!!
>>
>>13752139
Why do they have an Imperial shuttle parked next to rebel ships?
>>
>>13755501
Because they had one. Have you actually watched the movies?
>>
>>13755503
Yeah, like 20 years ago and only once.
>>
>>13752139
it must be really unnerving having to be in a place with what seems like one huge gaping hole in the side of your ship. especially in a battle
>>
>>13748521
that makes me incredibly sad
>>
>>13748022
>Fuck, even Fury Road had it's fair of CG effects

There are people who think otherwise? It's very obvious.
>>
>>13748489
Your entire post is just wrong. Lucas did a nationwide casting search for the characters in the prequel trilogy. If he was scarce on resources he couldn't have gotten Liam Neeson, Jackson, Portman, etc.
>>
>>13751945
From a technical perspective there is none. However, in practice a blue screen is used when you want to fill in the background with a practical effect like a matte painting, where as green is used for cgi.
>>
>>13748460
I feel like TPM had the perfect blend of practical and CG effects in cinema history. AotC still had an acceptable blend, but by the time of RotS Lucas got really lazy and relied too much on CG. Even when he did use practical effects in Ep3 he would only half finish them and finish the rest with CG. A good example of this is the platform Anakin and Obiwan fight on before jumping onto the lava platforms.
>>
>>13748521
The clonetroopers were pretty convincing, and having them CGI probably saved the production time, considering you had many clonetroopers in some shots, so you would have to film a real guy in armor, get the lighting to match just right, then you have to duplicate that guy many times for scenes with lots of CTs, then you have to get the lighting just right for each of those duplictes, so having them CG saved a lot of time and money, not to mention CG characters can to a lot more stunts and physical action than people in costumes can, which is why Yoda went CG too
>>
>>13759607
>which is why Yoda went CG too

The Yoda CG model is absolutely horrendous, should have stuck with the puppet. If sticking with a puppet means no Yoda vs Dooku match then so be it because that fight looked goofy anyways. No matter what you say there is zero excuse for not using a guy in costume for the close up shots, like when the trooper picks up Obi Wans saber in Ep3.
>>
>>13751945
From a technical perspective, as others have said, there is none. Both work as well as any other color to key out for digital replacement. However, from a functional perspective in my experience actually working with keying and matting, green leaves more natural looking edges with less need for precise roto work after the fact.

Though, as you might guess, if you're trying to film something green or blue you might use the other to avoid having to roto a mask around those elements.
>>
>>13759544
AotC is the worst offender even if RoTS has more CGI, because they keying on ep II is fucking terrible. There is color bleeding into pretty much every edge, even RoTJ (1983!) is better.
>>
>>13759612
The puppet from episode 1 was pretty bad too though. It's actually one of the few prequel bits that got "Special Edition-"ed out later, replacing him with the CG model from the later movies.
>>
>>13759607
Lucas was probably still having nightmares about all this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0DuUnhGBK4&spfreload=10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT-ZsR2P8dU
still doesnt excuse having no actual suits whatsoever in the prequels. Commander cody really could have used one atleast, especially when he had his helmet off
>>
>>13748022
The shitting on the Prequels' effects always pisses me off. It's a given that early CG isn't going to be realistic. What matters is the art design, which is top notch on all fronts. Pretend you're watching a moving painting. There, better?

You can't necessarily ignore Lucas' bad directing, but the visuals are fine. I also like PT's lightsaber fights and fuck anyone who didn't.
>>
>>13759612
>The Yoda CG model is absolutely horrendous, should have stuck with the puppet. If sticking with a puppet means no Yoda vs Dooku match then so be it because that fight looked goofy anyways.
>OTfags actually believe this.
The only parts of that fight that were goofy were the parts that could have been done with practical effects.
>>
File: 746756468567.png (987KB, 1003x1311px) Image search: [Google]
746756468567.png
987KB, 1003x1311px
>>13761887
and atleast its not this
>>
>>13748590
Lel the singer is Canadian
>>
>>13761759
The Darth Maul fight was the only one that felt real (like they were actually trying to kill each other). All the others were wayyy over-choreographed.
>>
>>13762256

They are never trying to hit each other.
Refer to this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw
>>
>>13762288
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0EZobdiJ4M
>>
>>13762288
The OT is just as bad expect occasionaly uses better camera angles to obscures that stuf, But nobodies going to make a video to pick apart the original trilogy because its just not cool
>>
>>13762337
To be honest most of the original trilogy's fights are just the two combatants rubbing swords together whilst they can chat for a bit or darth vader making huge pointless spins and slashes and hitting everything on the set except his opponent
>>
>>13759612
When Episode 1 came out, I was 7. I actually liked it... But even I knew that that puppet looked horrible. I remember asking my dad "Dad, what's wrong with Yoda?"
>>
>>13748074
That was the original plan, I heard, but something having to do with Harrison Ford getting injured made them have to rush some scenes so they couldn't get it done in time.
>>
>>13762256
The whole point of the way they were is because actual Force-users were fighting them. Remember that not only do they have heightened reflexes and a form of telekinesis, but that they also have a limited form of prescience. What you're seeing isn't "sick spins dude" but two opponents that can read each other perfectly doing their best to fake each other out and create an opening to slice off the others' arm. Real fencing has this too, with feints and whatnot, but everything is ratcheted up a notch because of their Force powers.

Plus it looks cool.

In comparison, all the lightsaber duels in the OT were fought between an old man, a half-dead cyborg, and a noob.
>>
File: sabertwirl.gif (2MB, 517x349px) Image search: [Google]
sabertwirl.gif
2MB, 517x349px
>>13762288
At least it wasn't as obvious about it as this.
>>
>>13762539
>Plus it looks cool.
No, it looks fake.
Fake with no emotion or attempt at real combat. Which is a shame, because Ray Park is immensely talented and could have done much better if he wasn't held back by having to pretend those other scrubs could keep up with him.
>>
>>13759515
Probably the same people that claim Unicorn never uses CG on its Mobile Suits.
>>
>>13762543
Every time I see this I think it's a parody of the prequel trilogy.
>>
>>13762657

They can't hire stuntment to play all parts.

Hell the only reason Park got the part is because he had no dialogue.

Then again Park can act moderately decently so I don't get why he's also near silent.
>>
I remember liking TPM when it came out. I also remember liking AotC too. RotS was also enjoyable too.

I also watched the original trilogy at the time, and to be honest, they were just alright. I'm not sure why people have this boner for the OT.
>>
>>13762363
>To be honest most of the fights are just the two combatants rubbing swords together whilst they can chat for a bit or making huge pointless spins and slashes and hitting everything on the set except his opponent
Didn't know this was a Gundam thread
>>
>>13763147
I liked TPM when it came out (I was, admittedly, maybe 10 at the time), but each time I rewatched, it felt a little more boring. After seeing TFA, I did a rewatch of all the star wars movies, and the OT still holds up very well. The prequals less so, but by far the biggest problem there was the scripts. The effects were not great, but overall not distractingly terrible.

>>13748499
Although things like this make me sad. Would it have been so hard to have some dudes in full blue suits around, if only to give them something physical to actually hit?
>>
>>13763126

Because every time he opens his mouth, bagpipes start playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJaLtUMESLE
>>
>>13762539
Haha, you read like a Star Wars fan through and through. They were done that way because that's what the production people thought people wanted to see, CGI wire-fu fights. No amount of post production rationalization is going to be the right answer. These were made by people.

>>13764698
His accent would have fit right in when you consider the Nemoidians and Liam Neeson.
>>
>>13763147
So you're underage and too retarded to understand how story and movies work?
Okay.
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.