[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>crash an abandoned giant space battleship onto a primitive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 379
Thread images: 151

>crash an abandoned giant space battleship onto a primitive planet
>planet spends the next 10 years fighting amongst themselves and trying to restore it
>first thing it does when aliens arrive is automatically fire a fuckhuge laser at them

God, whoever set up the automatic defense thing was an asshole.
>>
Also, Kawamori you sly fuck.
>>
>muh secondaries
they explain it in like the 2nd episode or so, also it's a parody
>>
>>13724506

It was implied that the Supervision Army and the Zentradi continued their battles long after the Protodevlin were sealed. Makes sense that SA warships would have such functions.

I wonder if we'd ever get a Macross series that deals with NUNS forces encountering a full Supervision Army fleet. After all, they're almost 1/2 across the galaxy by Delta.
>>
>>13724525
I have no idea why Kawamori keeps making up new antagonist races, and won't do the supervision army already.
>>
Welp, I recognize the one in the middle. So this is the first time it showed up in animated form, eh?
>>
This scene was pretty fucking baller. I knew going in that the Zentradi were giants, but if you're a first-time watcher you're probably going to assume that in the previous scenes they were human-sized, and then get mindfucked when you see a huge guy get out of the huge mecha.
>>
>>13724580
10 year old me was pretty stoked/
>>
What the fuck.
>>
>>13724677

Space folding!
>>
>>13724677
they folded the reflected light with them
>>
Well, at least they addressed this part of it. I thought they were taking the "space" part of this lightly, since apparently they could rescue the civilians in the shelters no problem (what with it being the 80's and all). Kinda odd since I'm used to shows like Gundam and Moretsu Pirates putting painstaking effort into showing how space works.
>>
>>13724722
>Gundam putting painstaking effort into showing how space works.
>>
So, this is the giant space tuna I saw people talking about before.
>>
Holy crap, he actually uses Newtonian physics to maneuver himself in space. I mean, obviously he has to use something since he doesn't have a thruster pack or anything, but for something from the 80's I would have expected them to make him mimic swimming or something.
>>
>>13724768
yeah Space Tuna is an oddly realistic thing
>>
>>13724580
Oh man, I had no idea the Zentradi were giants going into Macross. That scene mindfucked me pretty hard.
>>
>giant transforming ship with aircraft carriers for forearms

It looks cool and all, but to what end? The stated purpose is so that they can fire the main cannon, but after that, what? I can infer from the preview title that it may involve using one of the aforementioned aircraft carriers as a punching implement, but wouldn't that not just cause a shitload of structural damage?

Anyways, I guess this will serve to suffice for the time being. I have up to episode 10 downloaded, but the rest will take time. The show has definitely caught my attention though, and I'm going to see it through to the end.

One thing that's been bugging me though, a lot of the sound effects are virtually the same as the ones I've heard over the years in Gundam works (beam weapon charging, machine gun fire, etc). Did both of them source their sounds from the same studios, or are both homaging older robot shows, or what? They sound way too similar for it to be a coincidence.
>>
File: pqox.jpg (278KB, 1200x1696px) Image search: [Google]
pqox.jpg
278KB, 1200x1696px
>>13724878
>It looks cool and all, but to what end?
>It looks cool
Why ask something if you are going to answer it yourself
>>
>>13724878
>I can infer from the preview title that it may involve using one of the aforementioned aircraft carriers as a punching implement, but wouldn't that not just cause a shitload of structural damage?

>can create shields at any point of the structure
>wants to punch something
>punching things would cause structural damage
>....

SDF-1 Pioneered the pin point barrier punch
>>
>>13724961

He hasn't watch that yet, you dingus. Learn to context.
>>
>>13724961
>SDF-1 Pioneered the pin point barrier punch

That was well after the fact though
>>
Uh, okay. So they're using their new force field to shield the bow of the carrier, and then blowing the enemy ship up from the inside out.

That's a new one for me.
>>
>>13725997
It's one of the coolest scenes in the show, and Frontier does a great homage to it.
>>
Also, this part caught me by surprise. I knew that something would happen once Hikaru saw the giant air lock, but it's still interesting how much the show is humanizing the enemy. As (supposedly) anti-war Gundam is, it rarely goes through the effort to do this in the middle of fights, Tomino seems to like portraying human casualties as necessary.
>>
>>13724580

My brother didn't know shit and was hooked from that point onward.
>>
>space base on Mars

Hell. I know that 80's works have tendency to exaggerate technological advancements in sci-fi works (like how Patlabor likes to pretend we have working mechas in 1996), but a Mars base before 2009? We never even managed to put one up on the Moon in the heyday of the Space Race.
>>
>>13726054
>Tomino seems to like portraying human casualties as necessary.
He never denies this. He isn't a pacifist, he just thinks war are bad.
>>
OK, now THIS is pretty 80's. Let's see what happens next.

>>13726142
It's still interesting to see Macross go this path and not see it really ever explored in early Gundam to this degree. As much as we see piloted war machines being blown up all the time, it doesn't really impact you so much until you realize that there's a guy inside that just got killed too. It's also quite different from directly gunning down another human being, even in the military (so long as you're not Army or Marines, at least).
>>
>automated telemetry
From what, their library?
>>
>>13726132
That's where the whole big ship full of overtechnology dropping in our lap comes in.
>>
So. This guy, that I've been hearing so much about, who's supposed to be a major character in Seven and an ancestor of Mirage. I was expecting him to be introduced at the start of the show, given how much screen time he apparently gets throughout the franchise.
>>
>>13724768
Ah yes the 80s, truly a dark age for science.
I'm glad we moved on from the dark times of... the 80s
>>
>>13726293
God that computer scene almost gives me epilepsy
>>
You suave motherfucker.

Also, I get the feeling that Kakizaki might not last so long, we shall see.
>>
>>13724529

He already did the Protodelvin, so there are no reasons to use their old underlings. Also by the time of the first series few Supervision Army vessels were around and they were costantly hunted by the Zentradi.
>>
>>13726361
he's the only one of the 3 who survives
>>
>>13726361
>I get the feeling that Kakizaki might not last so long
Nice prediction you got there newtype.
>>
Yes you are, Max. Yes you are.

>>13726381
Gee, thanks for the fucking spoilers.
>>
>>13726293
I wouldn't call Max an ancestor as he would be 65 by 2067. I don't see why he should be introduced in Delta as he has no impact to its story. Mirage sharing the same last name as him and Milia is more of a throwback and will be probably mentioned as they reveal more about her. We don't know yet how she is related to them but we assume she's their granddaughter.
>>
File: supervisionarmy-derelict.gif (102KB, 800x453px) Image search: [Google]
supervisionarmy-derelict.gif
102KB, 800x453px
>>13724506
I assume UN Spacy/NUNS policy encountering a Supervision Army wreck is "Don't Bloody Touch It! It's a Trap!"
>>
>>13724580
As a Kid watching robotech I was shocked.
>>
>>13726435

At first I thought it was an animation error.

"Ha ha, they fucked up and made him look like a giant!"
> steps on a car
"OH FUCK HE ACTUALLY IS A GIANT MAN I WAS NOT PREPARED FOR THIS"
>>
So... is this supposed to be a filler episode or something? Watching a beauty contest in the middle of recon interdiction?
>>
>>13726558

No. This is actually one of the most important episodes of the show.

You watch that shit. This is the first peal of thunder which heralds the arrival of the storm. The calm is over.
>>
>>13726558
1982 was a strange time.
>>
>>13726558
idolshit is one of the core elements of Macross, m8. Welcome to the wild ride.
>>
>>13726435

Same here. Gaiking did this to me as well. Near the end of the series and we finally see the size of the fucking generals. And then Darius turns out to be a fucking robot.
>>
>>13726558
this is the beggining of everything
>>
File: Kosh Yes.png (394KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Kosh Yes.png
394KB, 640x480px
>>13726622

And so it begins
>>
>>13726622
the breaking of seals, the emptying of the bowls
>>
>>13726599
It's not so much the idol part of it that I find odd (I'm aware that singing is a huge part of the franchise). It's more that Hikaru is ignoring a combat situation in favor of watching a beauty contest.

I can glean from context that, given the reactions of the Zentradi recon soldiers, this will probably be very important in the future, but it's still odd that they choose to use a pageant, of all things, to get the point across.
>>
>>13726704
> it's still odd that they choose to use a pageant, of all things, to get the point across.
I think that mainly exists as a way to get Minmay popular without her already being a famous singer.
>>
>>13726704

Listen, you see any beaches on the Macross? No? Didn't think so.

This is his ONE SHOT of seeing Minmay in a swimsuit. The internet doesn't exist yet either, so he can't even yahoo search for pictures of girls in swimsuits.

There are some risks a man just has to take.

I bet if Focker was watching a swimsuit competition during live combat you wouldn't be all that surprised.
>>
>Fourze intensifies
>>
>>13724506

> Booby trap

This is /m. You're looking for /d.
>>
>>13724552
I love these designs, no matter how ridiculous it is to imagine a 8-10 metre tall pilot inside. That middle one is especially impossible.
>>
Uh... okay. Well, that was weird. I mean, I assume that the Zentradi also have females since the guy mentioned something about it before, but really?

Also, something that's been bugging me for a while now, in the second episode Focker said that the Valkyries have a giant robot mode so that they can fight the Zentradi, but how did they know that the Zentradi would be giants before they arrived at Earth for the first time? Is this something that gets explained later on?
>>
Jesus, those eyes. I've seen this happen a few times already, I guess they had trouble animating eyes back in the 80's.
>>
>>13726789

Remember that they had the Macross to work with and restore.

EVERYTHING in the Macross was originally built for giants. Remember the space tuna episode, that airlock that leads outside? Its sizes for a Zentradi, and the control panel for it was like 30 feet up off the floor.

When the UN first found the ship, everything was like that until we gutted most of it and replaced it with human tech. The bridge that global uses, for example, is not the original bridge of the ship. Its just the one we built that we can use.

Even if they claim they found no bodies and they didn't get any images from the computer, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that whoever was driving the ship before was fucking huge.

Thats why there is enough free space in the ship to fit a goddamn town. Humans are only using a fraction of the space originally set aside for Zentradi sized beings.
>>
>>13726789
>how did they know that the Zentradi would be giants before they arrived at Earth for the first time?

They made an assumption based on the scale of things inside the Macross. Giant chairs, giant doors, giant tuna ...
>>
>>13726801
I swear SDF has some of the biggest animation whiplash ever. There's plenty of good stuff as well as QUALITY material.
>>
>>13726814
>giant tuna .
nah, they get that big normal
>>
>>13726801
Wait til you get to the knife fight.
>>
>>13724878
Generic sound effect libraries are licensed for most TV/movie/videogame productions. You'll notice a lot of stuff shares sound effects if you pay attention. Often enough you'll be watching anime and spot things that you thought were originally from western works. 'Oh, there's the door sound from Doom. There's the spawn sound from Quake. There's the proton pack sound from Ghostbusters!' They're all really part of generic sound effect libraries.
>>
>>13726824

Yeah, some episodes they had to outsource to a cheaper studio to animate for them, and some scenes they kept in house and did extra overtime on so it could look exactly like they wanted.

Kawamori is probably the single happiest person in Japan for the rise of CG in mecha, because now he can finally show off all of his mechanical designs just as he designed them without having to cut corners or do slideshows.
>>
>>13726859
I hope Delta really does have CGI fights as nice as Fafners
>>
>>13726824
Fucking Roy and his missing head.
>>
>>13726849

I damn near died laughing when I was watching some old anime and they did the fucking wilhelm scream.

I just wasn't expecting it at all.
>>
>>13726874
>wilhelm scream
This scream sounds so goofy no matter the context.
>>
Well. I was unaware that the Zentradi are able to breathe in space.

Also, I hear stuff about how episode 11 has some weird exceptions for how it was recorded for Blu-Ray.
>>
>>13726971
>Well. I was unaware that the Zentradi are able to breathe in space.

Britai is a commander type, so he's taller, stronger and more robust than the average Zent. If that wasn't obvious from him beating up VF-1s with a pipe after climbing along the exterior of his ship, I mean.

In Frontier Ranka offhandedly says that being quarter Zentraedi means she's more resistant to vacuum exposure than pure blooded humans. Zentraedi are built pretty tough.
>>
Well, that fight scene was missing a shitload of frames for some reason. But this guy is pretty fucking badass.
>>
Uh.... what in the fuck...

I assume that there's a reason why these are just literal clip shows?
>>
>>13727042
>>13727084
>Original broadcast version of episode 11 (featuring unfinished animation. Encoded at 640x480, as the BD set used an old brodcast tape as a soruce and upscaled it for some dumb reason).
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=385129
>>
>>13727084
they took "animating the storyboard" very seriously
>>
Max, you sly motherfucker.
>>
Okay. I understand that this is supposed to be very serious. From context, it looks like the Zentradi aren't created through reproduction and that Miclones are some form of miniaturizing. But I really can't help but laugh.
>>
>>13727190
Macross is pretty comedic about its seriousness. SDF (and, on rare occasions, 7) hits a sweet spot with balancing the two where you can both laugh and be invested in the drama at the same time.
>>
Well, this was one pretty packed episode. A bunch of reveal bombs were dropped, and they introduced Milia, who I've read is the one who fights Max, then becomes his wife and gives birth to Mylene.

This is getting more and more interesting.
>>
Jesus shit.
>>
>episode 14 is a recap episode
I forgot that these existed, it's been ages since I watched a series that needed one.
>>
>>13727290
Pay attention to Milia because the writers seem to forget about her at some point.
>>
Did he... just change hair color and skin tone inbetween cuts?
>>
Oh, so these two are hitched now? I assume I should not get used to this.
>>
>>13727420
It's explained later, they've been hitched for a while
>>
>>13724580
It surprised me, and then somehow the same trick worked again, and even more effectively when I was watching Fantastic Children.
>>
>>13727414
Uniform too.
>>
Oh, it's the Pacifist Asshole Bright guy I've heard so much about. Well, at least let's hope that he isn't a drag on the show like most of Zeta's cast was.
>>
>>13727449
Welp, that didn't take long.
>>
>military high command using more than 50,000 civilians as decoys

I don't think I like the direction that this show is going.
>>
>>13727482
Top Brass were a bunch of dicks including Misa's dad.
>>
>>13724580
I have to admit, I was confused when I first saw that as a child. At first I thought it was just bad animation, but when it kept happening I realized it was intentional
>>
>>13724768
>but for something from the 80's I would have expected them to make him mimic swimming or something.

That sounds more like something from the 70s or 60s to me. Like I can picture Lupin doing that in Lupin III.
>>
>>13727482
It won't be the last. Max and Milia got a sense deja vu being told you are on your own by Earth in Macross 7. Probably one of the reasons why the UNG had no choice but decentralize into the NUN. Not that everybody liked it though, particularly Earth supremacists like Lactence.
>>
>>13726293
Best boy
>>
>>13727673

Best at errything
>>
>>13727420
Watch for the tropical fruit medley deathflag!
>>
SDF is still the best Macross series.
>>
>>13727673
>best at video games
>best at waifus
>best at piloting
why is he so best
>>
>>13726780
>pilot lays down
>>
File: nnn.png (808KB, 958x720px) Image search: [Google]
nnn.png
808KB, 958x720px
>>13726780
>>
What in the hell, they look nothing alike. Please don't tell me that they're going to pursue this thread for too long.
>>
>>13728241
They're apparently large enough for the Zentradi to sit inside the central pods.
>>
Also, the fuck with all these mixed signals from Minmay? She's perpetually friend-zoning Hikaru and acting pretty damn stupid sometimes, ever since she became an idol. I mean, yeah, she's 16, but Jesus, this is slightly rustling my Jimmies.
>>
>>13726780
>>13728241
>>
>>13724524
Stop saying that it's a parody. It was conceived as a parody but that was in the very early stages, they changed all that by the time it actually went into production.
>>
>>13729352
Minmay's a shit.
>>
>>13724878
The Macross was supposed to have docked with the two ARMD carriers that were in orbit by the time the Zentradi attacked. Unfortunately they were blown to smithereens. So they retrofitted an aircraft carrier and an amphibious landing ship to the arm points instead, and use those as the Valkyrie landing strips.

Yeah it's a bit silly but it's cool.
>>
>>13726425
I wish we'd see more of the Supervision Army. I thought they were supposed to be out there still, clashing with Zentradi fleets?
>>
>>13729362
There are some traces, at least. Didn't one of the original plans involve the Macross continually going to a city across the Earth, only for it to get blown up during a Zentradi attack? The whole Ontario debacle is pretty much what's left of that idea.

As it stands, the show is somewhere between serious and silly.
>>
>>13729374
Why do you even need a runway in space?
>>
>>13726801
They had crazy deadlines and a lot of scenes and whole episodes were farmed out to animation studios in Korea and Taiwan. It was (afaik) a somewhat new practice at the time and a lot of the time they didn't have time to fix it. Episode 11 was aired in an unfinished state originally being basically a slideshow because they didn't have any of the tweening cells. They re-ran it a few days later with things more or less fixed.
>>
>>13727095
Even the finished version of Episode 11 still lacks a lot of frames in some scenes.
>>
>>13729382
They use it in gravity too. I dunno, I guess the idea is that VFs use it to accelerate, since it has the catapult.
>>
>>13729333
They will. Reminder that Misa is batshit insane for thinking Kaifun looks even remotely like her dead boyfriend.
>>
Is episode 17 a clip show too? They're re-using footage from the previous episodes but new voice lines. How important is this episode?
>>
>>13729416
Phantasms is the best episode of any series ever. It's like an official "abridged series" way before that was ever a thing, with the most ridiculous new script.
>>
>>13729428
Yeah, I kinda noticed...
>>
>>13729416
The reason there's two clip shows is because the show had proven very popular for MBS, so they expanded the order from 25 to 37 episodes. This resulted in these two clip shows and the extended epilogue after the climax.
>>
File: big hat.jpg (64KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
big hat.jpg
64KB, 960x720px
>>13724506
His hat keeps getting bigger
>>
What in the fuck. I feel like I'm tripping out on LSD or something.
>>
>>13727930
Yeah, sure, I think I'm getting there pretty soon.
>>
What's with all the misunderstandings? Please don't tell me that it's going to reach Inoue tier levels...
>>
Yup... I am reminded of CCA and Astronaige...
>>
>>13729450
My favorite part of this episode is that on the Blu Rays you can see that all the animation looks much rougher because it's a 2nd generation copy from the original episodes, and then the sparse new animation looks much cleaner.

Here's the original shot from episode 3
>>
>>13729504
And here is the same shot but a generation of film later. They seemingly had some really shitty film stock at Studio Nue for the quality loss to be this bad over just one generation.

They could theoretically have re-edited this for the Blu-Rays by just sourcing the footage from the episodes it was originally taken from and replacing the original optical copied shots. Probably wouldn't take one guy much more than an afternoon, but effort is effort I guess.
>>
They must have the best motherfucking luck in the whole series. They've spent a huge chunk of their appearance on the Macross without ever running into the three people who could recognize them by sight, yet they've also become acquaintances with their friends...
>>
Aw, fuck. Right in the fucking feels.
>>
>>13729589
It was a warrior's death. People will try to argue that it was stupid and he should've gotten himself to a hospital but I personally assume that he knew that he was a goner and preferred to die in the company of a loved one instead of in a hospital full of tubes.
>>
File: Focker Commodore 64.png (48KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Focker Commodore 64.png
48KB, 1280x800px
>>13729589
MANLY TILL THE END
>>
>>13729596
Yeah, three heavy-caliber bullets in the torso, will do that to people.

He was pretty bro tier, and I'll miss him, but I won't say it was a terrible death. One of his last acts was to bring Minmay to visit Hikaru, you can't fault him for that.

>salad pictures Captcha
YOU KNOW WHAT, FUCK YOU GOOGLE, I DID NOT NEED YOU TO TWIST THE HANDLE
>>
>>13724773
you know, aside from the fact it's a freaking giant fish in space
>>
>>13729618
One could maybe argue that it was a dick move to die on Claudia's couch like that, without really saying goodbye, but I guess that's the kinda guy that Roy Focker is.
>>
File: 1415412525183.jpg (45KB, 536x573px) Image search: [Google]
1415412525183.jpg
45KB, 536x573px
Not OP, but I just started Macross today. I'm on episode 3 and I already had the fact that the show becomes about idol shit spoiled for me years ago. I like it so far but I'm scared shitless by the prospect of it. Is it as bad as I fear?
>>
>>13729647
No.

It's done fairly unobtrusively, even though it links to a major plot point
>>
>>13729647
It never gets bad in this show, but basically it starts instantly in DYRL and only gets crazier from there.

I suppose I'm saying this as a guy who sat through Macross 7 already, so maybe my threshold is high, but SDF Macross really does not have a lot of Idol stuff in it.
>>
>>13729647
Why are you afraid of idols?
>>
>>13729685
Maybe because I signed up for a homoerotic toy commercial, not twenty minutes of little girl high school drama.
>>
>>13729694
>little girl high school drama.

Literally no Macross series fits that description.
>>
>>13729697
Point is, I'm here to watch Top Gun, not Jem and the Holograms.
>>
>>13729706
Then you are shit out of luck beyond the first series dude. I dunno how you got that expectation but "Top Gun" is not what Macross has been for the last 20 years.
>>
Wait. So have I already passed the part where they forget to add Roy's head because of cheap animation?

>another salad images Captcha
FUCK YOU GOOGLE, STOP DOING THAT
>>
>>13729718

well, Plus
>>
Where are they putting their hands? There's no railing there, just empty space...
>>
>>13729724
They didn't forget to add part of his head per se, the framing of the cel to the camera is just slightly off so we see what we aren't supposed to see.
>>
>>13729743
This shot shows how it's supposed to look.

>>13729740
A cel placement error. There's a few of those coming up...
>>
>>13729727
Like he said 20 years. Its been that long since Plus was released.

If you watch Macross just because you want to see futuristic "Top Gun" then you're missing the whole point of the series. Transformable fighters and mecha combat maybe a key element but Macross pretty much revolves around the power of song and it what saves everyone.
>>
>>13727190
I will never understand anybody who says that Macross is 100% a serious war setting. Some of this shit was really tounge-in-cheek
>>
File: be4ivqy52e12ixjbb9vi.jpg (1MB, 1632x2140px) Image search: [Google]
be4ivqy52e12ixjbb9vi.jpg
1MB, 1632x2140px
>>13730106
Robotech and Plus fags.
>>
I have an ominous feeling about this...
>>
File: VICTORBGM.jpg (405KB, 650x900px) Image search: [Google]
VICTORBGM.jpg
405KB, 650x900px
>>13730106
Delta has made some people misremember how silly SDF could be at some points, but there's no question it's a more serious and down-to-earth affair than 7 and Delta, the latter of which has a literal 0048 idol group with mahou shoujo transformation sequences, dancing valkyries, and a whole squad of bishi fuccbois
>>
File: Do You Remember Idol Shit.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Do You Remember Idol Shit.webm
2MB, 640x480px
>>13730153
>it's a more serious and down-to-earth affair than 7 and Delta
Oh we're making assumptions on an entire series based on one fucking preview episode?
>mahou shoujo transformation sequences
DYRL has them, so does Frontier. Holographic costume transformations aren't new to the franchise.
>dancing valkyries
They never danced. The flew down in formations, struck a pose, and flew off. How the fuck is that dancing?
>and a whole squad of bishi fuccbois
I can't argue this but come one anon it's not like SDF was devoid of pretty boys either. Have you seen Max, Hikaru, and even Kaifun? They're pretty bishie by 80s standards.
>>
>>13730179
These Deltafags are worse than ZZfags.
>>
>>13730179
>Oh we're making assumptions on an entire series based on one fucking preview episode?
Yep because Frontier turned into an emotional drama after the preview episode and wasn't as consistently stupid as the preview.
>>
I repeat, I have an ominous feeling about this...
>>
>>13730187
You SDF fags are the worst to be honest.
>>
>>13730203

You never leave a steak unfinished.

NEVER
>>
>>13730179
this is the stupidest post on this board today
>>
>>13730229
Not as stupid as judging an unfinished anime that only has 89% of the first episode complete.
>>
Welp. Farewell Kakizaki, and farewell Ontario.

To be honest, I was expecting him to die in his very first sortie. I never really got attached to him, and honestly I can't really bring myself to worry too much about losing him either, he didn't do much besides be the incompetent subordinate. I guess I have to give him credit for surviving this long despite my flagging him for death from his very first appearance.

>steak Captcha
JESUS FUCK GOOGLE, STOP STALKING ME
>>
>>13730210
How?
>>
But hey, at least Max has the decency to pray for his lost soul.
>>
>>13729995
Macross has plenty of top gun in it (the itano circus for instance). It's not just about music, but it's a balance of all the elements that make it what it is.
>>
File: WnLjxDk - Imgur.png (397KB, 610x457px) Image search: [Google]
WnLjxDk - Imgur.png
397KB, 610x457px
>>13730106
Its almost like SDF knew how to balance comedy, drama and romance so that it was more than just an embrassing music video like 7, Frontier and Delta.
>>
File: OpwoPad.png (77KB, 1096x689px) Image search: [Google]
OpwoPad.png
77KB, 1096x689px
>>13730236
Do you remember if Kakizaki got a single kill? I don't recall seeing him hitting anything.
>>13730237
Blindly hating every entry in the series just because it's not muh SDF. It's obnoxious. Almost Robotech-tier autism.
>>
>>13730262
>You can't hate shit because I say so

Cant believe Deltafags have gotten this bad after one episode.
>>
So this thing is still broken. I assume that it's a deliberate plot point, given how they emphasized that the Zentradi are unable to repair shit?
>>
>>13730272
You can't hate whatever you want but I'm just saying you guys are annoying cunts. Doesn't help you keep coming into Delta threads to shitpost.
>>
>>13730248
It hasn't really always been a balance of them. The key elements of music, transformable fighters, and love triangles are there but one or two are more emphasized. But at the end of it all the plots for each series the main conflict is resolved by the power of song.
>>
>>13730295
I never said it was equally partitioned. But the Valkyries dogfights are absolutely iconic, and it's not Macross with out them. Just like it wouldn't be Macross without music or love triangles.
>>
>>13730252
SDF had a higher drama/romance content than it's sequels though. Say what you will about Frontier but at least Alto had something else going on besides his love triangle. Hikaru has nothing.
>>
I have to admit, I've gotten sorta attached to these three guys. They've been slowly getting humanized over the course of their mission, and now they're starting to understand what it is to have a culture. It's going to be interesting to see what they're going to report back.
>>
>>13730304
>but at least Alto had something else going on besides his love triangle.
This implies Alto was an actual character
>>
>>13730304
Plus was all about drama and Frontier was all about romance.
>>
>>13730329
No he's right on SDF having more drama and romance. The entire last cour is about it, and it's awesome.
>>
>>13724722
Is that just some future car or is it meant to be Lady Penelope's Rolls Royce?
>>
>not even bothering to draw in the rest of the frame before the zoom-out covers it up
Jesus, they really were stretched to hell and breakfast with the budget and schedule, weren't they?
>>
I have no idea why, but this amuses me greatly.
>>
>>13726971
Britai is just genuinely that hardcore.
>>
I understand how important these scenes are. I really do. They're gradually spreading culture to the rest of the Zentradi. But the way they're handling the stuff, as if they're toys, is just really really amusing.
>>
>>13727482
Macross is basically set in some dystopian military dictatorship society where the populace is constantly at threat from annihilation by dozens of ancient superweapons and bioweapon alien races that routinely wipe out entire planets. Not that Minmay's cousin isn't a total cunt, but if you lived in a post-world war 3 society where the guys in jackboots were still giving orders to civilians, and fucking giants were forming a cult based around your 15 year old cousin, you'd be rightfully pissed too.
>>
>>13730279
>So this thing is still broken. I assume that it's a deliberate plot point, given how they emphasized that the Zentradi are unable to repair shit?
That's what I got out of it too. In a show full of animation fuckups and oversights continuity details like this are quite a nice touch.
>>
Well, shit. Things are going south now. This is a pretty powerful scene, I don't even know what to expect to come after.
>>
Hmm. Given all the prior things I've read about this dude, I honestly did not expect him to act in sympathy to the head military guy. I assume this is just temporary though.
>>
>>13727042
>>13727084

They basically didn't finish the episode in time for the airing and had none of the tweens. They fixed most of it for later release...but not all. One of the video releases later included the original broadcast from someone's home recording.
>>
>>13727290
>Milia

Max Breeds her like a God dam rabbit

Forgot which series it is but you see max and Milia with like 9 kids
>>
>>13730614
catholics
>>
>>13730614
They have 7 daughters. Two are twins and one is adopted and each of them were pretty spaced in between each child.

>>13730642
Being Catholic has nothing to do with it. In my grandfather's generation having that many children was normal.
>>
What a bitch.

>>13730642
Try being Chinese in the 40's and 50's instead. You literally have 9 siblings, minimum.
>>
>>13730642
Or Mormons.
>>
max does the catholic self-crossing thing
>>
>>13730676
how do you know it's max? hikaru was in the previous shot
>>
>>13730676
Is it really a catholic thing in context though? More like a 'Americans do this thing in movies, so let's make our character do this' thing. I doubt enough thought was given to the characters backstories for them to have assigned religions.
>>
The continued misunderstandings about human entertainment keep amusing me.
>>
>>13729647
Watch Plus and leave with the great experience it provides you.
>>
>>13730706
I think it's a part of this which made SDF so fun in the first place

As part of the meta-plot, one can't really have other races re-discover culture anymore, or it would just be a re-hash
>>
>>13730731
And yet this is what SDF fans want anyway.
>>
>Hikaru misses a call from Minmay, and screws up calling her back
>the Zentradi think the movie is an ancient battle record, mistake special effects hand lasers for the Omnidirectional Barrier
>the three recon guys bragging about passing Minmay around like the village bicycle
>Milia mistaking Kaifun for Max

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
>>
>>13730758
Milia was kinda dumb here. She sneaks aboard the SDF-1 and then doesn't show up for another 2 or 3 episodes. The writers must've forgotten about her.
>>
Welp. Things are starting to get more serious here...
>>
>>13730805
man, it's crazy how lewd those old shows got
>>
As the saying goes, I assume, "IT BEGINS"
>>
I cannot possibly see this ending well.
>>
File: 8415620272444.webm (894KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
8415620272444.webm
894KB, 640x480px
>>13730899
>>
>>13730744
Yet all Macross has been doing is rehashing 7 for 20 years.
>>
The eyes... the eyes...
>>
I don't know how to feel about this. I really don't. They're giant men piloting heavily armed and armored mecha, from a race that only knows how to fight... and they're all talking about wanting to meet a 16-year old idol singer...
>>
>>13730949
>They're giant men piloting heavily armed and armored mecha, from a race that only knows how to fight... and they're all talking about wanting to meet a 16-year old idol singer...
Congratulations, you just figured the essence of Macross.
>>
Okay, this show has just entered incest territory.
>>
File: 1446726729476.gif (3MB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
1446726729476.gif
3MB, 720x405px
>>13730922
I didn't know Zero and Frontier are 7 clones.
>>13730949
Get used to it.
>>
>>13730924
Can't we find some talented video editor, give him the highest quality rips of SDF, and have him make small adjustments to the QUALITY frames? Like fixing those eyes so they're at least not all over the place.
>>
I'm really wanting to sympathize with them. It's actually sort of touching that after a lifetime of battle, they're now learning about things like emotion, consequences of their actions, and all that sort of stuff. Like they're children or something.
>>
>>13730968
>I didn't know Zero and Frontier are 7 clones.
Then you're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>13730949
Yeah its fucking stupid but plane bots are cool.
>>
>>13730968
The irony in this post is astounding
>>
File: 358349349349.jpg (35KB, 420x412px) Image search: [Google]
358349349349.jpg
35KB, 420x412px
>>13730974
>MUH QUALITY
>"it's not CGI so it's shit!"
Nice bait.
>>
>>13730744
And once again Deltafags hilariously misses the point.
>>13730922
Despite the fanbase priding itself over Gundam stating how "different" each installment is this is pretty much true.
>>
You know, given how much time they put into setting this up plot-wise, depending on how it concludes (which, I assume, it does positively, since the good guys have to win in the end and the subsequent installments show Zentradi living peacefully alongside humans), I'd say this is probably Understanding done right. Which puts it steps above AGE and 00 at least (not that that's saying much).
>>
>>13731006

I don't recall Sheryl/Ranka singing the Vajra to freedom. It still took firepower to free the Queen. Only difference is that Macross is catching some of that "fuck the military" attitude from Gundam and it's a PMC operator that gets to shoot stuff without being guilt-tripped by the public.
>>
>>13730982
>watch show
>get point
woah holy shit this is crazy everybody should try this
>>
>>13731030
>Only difference is that Macross is catching some of that "fuck the military" attitude from Gundam and it's a PMC operator that gets to shoot stuff without being guilt-tripped by the public.
I'm a little confused by this. What do you mean exactly? Could you give an example?
>>
>>13729374

I still say

ship hands >>>> ARMD hands
>>
>>13731024
00's was forced as hell and AGE's isn't really UNDERSTANDING, is more like Kira Yamato's pseudo-pacifism. Macross is one of the few series that has managed to do real Understanding.
>>
>>13729740

INVISIBLE PIANO!
>>
>>13731024
>I'd say this is probably Understanding done right. Which puts it steps above AGE and 00 at least
Well, not only you are comparing it to shit shows, but Gundam's UNDERSTANDING as a whole is on a different level than Macross.
>>
>>13731045

The NUNS military is effectively useless outside of... well, nearly everything in Frontier. Across the series you see what little is shown of the NUNS pilots freaking out, performing very poorly outside of one or two scenes where they nail common Vajra. Only Battle Frontier does anything good.

They make it a point with Ozma being the only pilot to have had encountered the Vajra before but it just makes the NUNS pilots look worse in comparison.

It's exactly like in UC where the regular military takes forever to respond. Past the OYW the Federation essentially does not give a single fuck until the fire is catching on the chair they're sitting on while they half-heartedly prod their subsidiaries around. Those supporting La Resistance are senior officers, but never the generals, which makes it look like the people who are in actual command simply don't care. In X we are only presented with one sympathetic character with the space forces. In Wing no one ever questions the top dogs of the Romfeller Foundation until Relena talks them into peace. SEED/SEED D. in particular is the worst offender as anyone should know. 00 at least spins the theme around and G... well, I'm not surprised if people don't realize that there are militaries in G. But we don't see enough of them to form an impression of their competency so that's their saving grace.

Macross does it as early as 7 itself but the show goes to lengths to put some characters amongst the military to show how they have their hands tied by decisions from high officers and Earth command. By Frontier they dive straight into panic territory and it took the movies to make the government forces look competent again. It's still too early to say it for Delta, but at this point I've seen enough single mecha destroying several warships in a single run to know that any portrayal contrary to the expected is a bonus, not a requirement.
>>
Look Japan, I know you love using random English words and phrases because it sounds exotic and most of the viewers wouldn't understand it. But this is a new level of weird in names.
>>
Jesus fuck, Max, you shot down half the pods by yourself?
>>
>>13731123
They don't call him a genius for nothing.
>>
>>13731030
Rather than 'fuck the military', I feel that its just the restrictions from using military pilots as characters due to how the military would operate.

Besides, it kind of makes sense. If you want to be a full time pilot and stay as a pilot because you just want to fly a VF, why would you want to join the military as compared to SMS if you know very well that they would promote you and keep you stuck outside a VF if you're a good pilot?
Max got promoted and was in the captain seat of Battle 7 for pretty damn long. He did his job well and he probably doesn't mind the job, but someone like crazy for flying like Isamu(or even Alto) wouldn't stand for that shit.
Isamu jumped to SMS because the military wanted to bench him and let him do shit like teaching new recruits when he just wants to fly a VF.
>>
>>13731112
VFX-2 does this as well. Honestly it just seems like the franchise is trying to include more and more factions to the universe which is cool I think even though most of them are independent and aren't really enemies.
>>
Vidya gaming, yo.
>>
Who the hell is that? Is that supposed to be a reference to something that I'm not getting?
>>
Can love bloom on the battlefield?
>>
>>13731142
>>13731141

I only ask that they balance the portrayals. Right now it just seems typically skewed in the fashion of most anime.

In 7, if the Varauta weren't space vampires, they'd have lost half of all available pilots by the third time they recycled the battle footage.
>>
>>13731160
That's The Shredder you uncultured swine.
>>
Jesus. You stupid, stupid fucks...
>>
I have no idea how much longer I can stomach this...
>>
You know, this is one of the first times I've seen Max showing any sort of real emotion. Up until now he's mainly just been portrayed as an ace pilot who's good at what he does. But now they're finally showing another side of him.

I assume that this is the part leading up to the infamous knife fight I've been hearing so much about.
>>
And it begins. Surprisingly quick, I was not expecting them to kick off the episode with the duel.
>>
>>13731120
Nowhere near as bad as the Pink Peckers from Macross 7.
>>
These facial expressions are... weird. And what's with the stop-and-go motion with the stills?
>>
Milia? What's wrong with your face?
>>
Seriously. What's with the face? And while we're at it, what's wrong with your knife?
>>
Well, it's still not as bad as the worst parts of 0079, even with freeze-frames.
>>
>>13730676
>self-crossing thing
Wow anon you can do better than that.

All Christians do it, not just Catholics.
>>
Well, that knife fight was... weird. A lot of it looked pretty half-assed, but from the way people were talking about it I was expecting disembodied hands and 0079 tiers of QUALITY.

Still, those eyes.
>>
>>13731024
>I'd say this is probably Understanding done right.
Found the retard
>>
>>13731030
>I don't recall Sheryl/Ranka singing the Vajra to freedom.
You're right they sang it to liberation and considering they play up the DID NUTHIN WRONG card with them that's once again missing the point dumbass.
>>
>>13731301
Singing didn't solely liberate the vajra, it was Ranka, Alto, and Sheryl's feelings that got through to them.
>>
>>13731292
Max is handsome, polite, smart and arguably the best human pilot. He marries Miria hours after just meeting her.

Meanwhile, on the dense, faggot protagonist side...
>>
File: milia vs max rematch.webm (1MB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
milia vs max rematch.webm
1MB, 650x650px
>>13731281
here you go
>>
>>13731301

Spoiler'd for OP's sake.

TV Edition: Alto snipes the Queen, separating the head unit with Grace in it from the stomach which houses the Vajra's true brain.

Movie Edition: Brera rams into the Battle Frontier bridge and destroys the Galaxy conspiracy group, causing the forcibly-linked Queen to be separated from Battle Frontier. Other Vajra beforehand are liberated by having the implant shells on them destroyed.

>Another tired dindu nuffin wong meme phrase
Another /b/-level kneejerk hyperbole poster who never watched the show.
>>
ugh, do we have to argue about Frontier in this thread? It was quite enjoyable until this started.
>>
File: 1451573882163.png (293KB, 563x640px) Image search: [Google]
1451573882163.png
293KB, 563x640px
>>13731331
ugh I know right? talk about #groanzone
>>
>>13731328
>Not even brining up the singing portion

Nice selective memory retard.
>>
>>13731344
Because the singing didn't really do anything. In the movies Alto even says the songs aren't working and it wasn't until they removed the implants that the vajra came to their senses.
>>
File: poots.jpg (3KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
poots.jpg
3KB, 150x150px
>>13731344

Which didn't "liberate" them at all.

But by all means you're doing great with those sweeping ambiguous one-liners, keep it up.
>>
>>13731350
>>13731356
>Singing didn't do anything
Found the retard.
>>
>>13731350
>Didn't do anything
>Main reason why the defenses got lifted and broke the Queen to begin with

Okay, they were just standing there looking pretty.

>>13731356
Wrong again dumbfuck
>>
>>13731361
>Main reason why the defenses got lifted and broke the Queen to begin with
But that's wrong. Brera smashes the Galaxy control unit and frees the Queen from their control.
>>
>>13731290
blatantly untrue
>>
>>13731361
The only reason they were even able to get through was the songs, yes.

But even then the Queen and by extension the Vajras were still being controlled by the implants. The song was getting through, but only to those that had their implants destroyed, the ones that still has their implants intact are still following commands from the Queen, who is controlled by Galaxy.
They needed to destroy the implants, and destroy the guys controlling the Queen, and that's what they did.
>>
>>13726789
Robotech's version(or at least the novels' rendition) had there be Zentradi corpses inside the SDF wreck, so they knew from the beginning that it was created by alien giants
>>
>>13731112
Well, Al Shahal was apparently a Zentradi garrison, so it's literally the absolute fucking worst possible place for a Var outbreak to occur. I can't really blame the non-Zentradi military for having trouble in dealing with it.
>>
>>13731361
The music helped disrupt Galaxy's control over the Vajra, but in both the TV series and the movie, freeing the Queen required a healthy dose of good old fashioned violence in the end. The music alone wasn't enough.

This applies to Delta, too: Except for Mikumo's insane direct attack, most of the takedowns were done by stunning the Var with music, and then kneecapping them with the VFs.
>>
>>13730452
The thing about Kaifunn is that he's not a 100% negative character. As you'll see he is instrumental in the survival of humanity.
>>
>>13731290
ex-Lutheran here, blatantly untrue, here it's decisively only a Catholic thing.
>>
Max is such a dork. And I fucking love him for it.

Also, this would make a pretty damn good sweaty guy image for a drawfag to make, assuming it hasn't already been done.
>>
>>13731896
Trivia: The title of this episode "Virgin Road" is what the Japanese call the aisle in a church. Not really sure why.
>>
Welp, Global approves. No surprise there.
>>
>>13731905
because you're not supposed to fuck before marriage
>>
A combination of Rainbow Road, a 21-gun salute, and driving your bride to the altar in the same machine that you used to humiliate her. Does the fun never end?
>>
Gee, thanks for ruining the moment, Britai.
>>
>Macross cake
Holy shit, the fun really doesn't end.
>>
This guy. This fucking guy. Holy shit, I love him so fucking much.
>>
>>13731936
#refugees welcome
>>
>>13731112

They were blasting the shit out of the Vajra until Grace stepped in and have Ranka pull off a Minmay
>>
Welp, things are scaling up. But this is looking like the start of a beautiful relationship.
>>
>>13731271

Erchi? you are supposed to knife Melon head!
>>
>>13731964
You are closer to the end than you might think.
>>
>>13729641
He knows how hard it is to wash blood out of a couch.
>>
Uh, Milia, I know that you're a Zentradi and thus very tough, and the two of you are going to survive otherwise Mylene and Mirage won't exist in the future, but I'm pretty sure that a scarf that leaves your neck exposed isn't going to help you much if you get spaced.
>>
>>13731936

>LET THE RAPES BEGIN!
>>
So, I hear that this is supposed to be an animation error, since the gun pods are located in the belly of the fighter. Well, I suppose you could handwave it as a Max Jenius Ace Custom Valkyrie with extra weapons built in.
>>
>>13731977
You imply Max would get shot down or hit in anyway.
>>
>>13731977
But Max is the pilot.

Are you doubting his abilities to dodge enemy bullets and missiles?
>>
And it begins. Everything is falling apart.
>>
>>13731936
Captain Global is such a pimp.
>>
But of course, this isn't a manga, isn't it?

Also, I'm aware that the show was originally cut down to 26 episodes and then extended afterward to 36, which would make this the "final" episode, and which may result in some wonky writing. But I've made it this far in, and you can hardly fault the production for the way things turn out at the executive level.
>>
Military secrets indeed.
>>
>>13732018
The extension didn't effect the shows writing in any way.
The extra episodes are and epilogue, not the show being drawn out
>>
Hmm, interesting. I seem to have underestimated how much shock value that them mistaking Kaifun having superpowers had on their perception of the Macross.
>>
Oh, Jesus Christ on a fucking pogo stick.
>>
do we really need a thread of you watching macross? worse than muvluv fags when it got translated.
>>
It's taking its hold.

>>13732058
If you don't like a thread, there's nothing stopping you from hiding it. There's another 149 for you to read.
>>
I'm starting to like this guy more and more.
>>
>>13730295
man musics gay
who watches this shit
>>
>>13730295
>the plots for each series the main conflict is resolved by the power of song
Not in SDFM. The main conflict was resolved by barrier+lolnukes.
>>
Nice levitating helmet there, Hikaru.
>>
>>13732074

there's also nothing stopping you from being a faggot either, clearly.
>>
>>13730949

PROTOCULTURE
>>
So, how many people is that?

Assuming that a sizable fraction of the populace was killed in the Unification Wars, and accounting for the fact that the world population was around 4.5 billion back in 1982, they probably expected something in the neighborhood of around 8-9 billion people on Earth in 2009 (given high fertility rates in the past).

Don't think Tomino's killed that many before outside of Ideon.
>>
>>13724743
Have you ever watched gundam?
>>
Jesus, they actually managed to turn him around in such an awesome way.

I was expecting him to be killed off in one of the earliest fights in the show, and then was impressed by how long he lasted, and now this. I was not expecting this at all.
>>
>>13732159
People tend to forget how apocalyptic SDF Macross was. The human race must have been traumatized after that kind of event.
>>
>>13732202
We saw the aftermath though, every human who survived basically just got on with their lives as best they could.
>>
>>13732213

Then essentiallly became the Imperium of Man
>>
I assume that what is to follow now is the epilogue.

Despite all the instances of QUALITY, I did enjoy the ride to this point. It really did feel like an anti-war robot show done right, with how they handled Protoculture and the gradual shift in the Zentradi. The plot was also easy to follow, if there's a problem with Tomino's works it's that his scriptwriting uses a lot of dense language and communication that makes it hard for the viewer to follow along. Watching the show was a pretty chill experience, I could relax and take in the show's message even at the pace of marathoning.
>>
>>13732213
I guess I would have liked more on the rebuilding, the cloning (there was cloning right?) and the shitting out of colonization fleets to the 4 corners of the galaxy. All because of the driving fear of extinction.
>>
>>13731986
The VF-1 has an anti missile laser in the nose I think?
>>
>>13732238
Glad to see that you appreciated it. It really is a show that plotwise holds up well, just a shame that it's so rough in parts production wise.
>>
>>13732135
>Not in SDFM. The main conflict was resolved by barrier+lolnukes.
Nukes just dealt the final blow. Without Minmay's song they lose plain and simple.
>>
And this must be the first little Jenius, of many to follow.
>>
>>13732269
It's a combination, but a lot of it is rooted in the human cultural exchange with the Zentradi. Britai defects with a sizable amount of Bodolza's fleet, the grand cannon decimates the remainder, and then with the Zentradi shaken by the song humans win.
>>
>>13732159
It is 10 billion in DYRL
>>
>>13732290
We don't see a lot of the Jenius kids. She's at least one of them we'll see.
>>
Welp, looks like this guy's fallen on hard times.

I would think that basic logic would lead to the conclusion that a fuckhuge fleet of war-hungry giants blowing your planet up isn't exactly the fault of the Macross's military command.
>>
>>13732058
>you will never be this mad about someone else watching a cartoon
>>
>>13732302
It's a shame the autistic fuck wasn't killed in the series. It would have been a fitting end.
>>
>>13732325
He went on to be another manager for another band, didn't he?
>>
>>13729626
It was pulled to space with the water ad island when the ship folded.
>>
>>13726704
He's also still somewhat green, and has a lot of maturing still to go.
>>
At this point... are her eyes being drawn like that on purpose? To symbolize how she's lost focus on who she is?
>>
>>13731986
Animation error. Those are supposed to be verniers.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN9HCg9uBTU
>>
Nice to see that the show isn't afraid to dig at itself.
>>
Additionally nice to see that Pink Floyd's music has the ability to power interstellar travel in the future.
>>
Culture is a helluva drug, man.
>>
Like, seriously, you have a race of warmongering giants who can pilot huge robots, and you scare the piss out of them with a two-year old child.
>>
>>13730706
What is funny about this is Exsedol thought Humans had super powers... 35 years later Rock Star Basara shows Humans do have super powers and Exsedol was fleet adviser at the time.
>>
>>13731917
>>13731908
Best scene in all of Macross.
>>
>>13732159
Over a million Humans survived between the Macross, the Moon base, Orbital Plant space colonies (yes they have those), and those who took shelter in the Grand Cannons around Earth.
>>
File: macross11.jpg (259KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
macross11.jpg
259KB, 1920x1080px
>>13732396
Manager of rip-off band Fire Bomber American on the all English speaking fleet Macross 11 which is headed for the Galactic Rim.
>>
We have to note with over 1000 Zentradi ships that joined Vrlitwhai only 100 ships made it out alive.

8 million Zentradi survivors joining humanity. Around 2000 Zentradi ships crashing on Earth.

Approximately 3 million surviving vessels of the 118th Boddole Zer Main Fleet escaped Sol dispersing across the galaxy as per protocol.

35 years later a Meltrandi fleet attached to the Boddole Zer Main Fleet approximately 97,000 ship but did not participate with the main fleet action was encountered by Macross 7 fleet led by Captain Maximilian Jenius, fleet commander, and Mayor Milia Jenius, President of the Macross 7 fleet.

This fleet was led by Milia's contemporary rival Chlore who has risen the ranks since. Alongside her is her fleet archive adviser Tranquil.

This fleet was pacified by Basara.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_37_-6GzbQ
>>
File: 1452349773947.png (109KB, 286x322px) Image search: [Google]
1452349773947.png
109KB, 286x322px
> [Bunny_Hat]Macross_01
> Anonymous 01/08/16(Fri)11:23:42
> [Bunny_Hat]Macross_30
> Anonymous 01/10/16(Sun)11:15:49
slow down
>>
>>13732302
>>13732325
Kaifun is a moron but he did a few things right, if he hadn't been aggresively pushing to have Minmay sing for the Zentradi they would've lost the battle of Earth.

He's kinda complex in a way you wouldn't really expect, being an absolutely despicable person who somehow managed to be right when it counted.
>>
>>13732996
>if he hadn't been aggresively pushing to have Minmay sing for the Zentradi
That wasn't his doing at all, it was Hikaru who suggested it and she said something along the lines of "okay, today I'll sing just for you"
>>
>>13733010
Well I forget exactly what he did, but I'm pretty certain I remember him helping facilitate the peaceful accord with Britai's faction.
>>
>>13733018
He was at the meeting between the two, but he didn't actually say anything meaningful there. His biggest and only contribution to the battle was kissing Minmay after being told to.
>>
Milia's fifth daughter in a Rock Out. Like mom she would open her legs for a talented genius that beat her at her own game... Basara ran away finding out this is Mylene's sister thus a daughter of Milia.

Milia pimping her 14 year old daughter for marriage to him gave him the impression you do not want her as an mother in law.
>>
>>13733037
Said Rock Out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J79O5mEjcZ0
>>
Well, here's one common link between Macross and Gundam, at least.

>>13732994
THE CULTURE TRAIN HAS NO BRAKES, MAN
>>
You know, I thought he did have a point in Trad City about Zentradi having the right to change sizes as they need to, but he was still retarded for not recognizing the need for a security force. Hell, the military are effectively just acting as police at this point in the story, and given the threats they faced it's even worse than blind optimism to not see the logic in the need for the military. Look at how he crumbled when the main Zentradi fleet showed up, and he's retarded enough to let the same thing happen again, twice.
>>
Where does one get a drumstick that fucking big? Did they genetically engineer and raise large farm animals to feed the Zentradi, or is this some form of oversight by the animators?
>>
>>13733177
In Frontier we see livestock for Macronized Zentradi, but I doubt they had gotten around to that this early.

Maybe they macronized a chicken. Hell, Macronization is such a weird magical process anyway, where does that additional mass come from?
>>
>lighting a fuckhuge cigarette with your Valkyrie's gun
That's some damn good culture there.
>>
>riding a Monster like a cowboy
Jesus, this show.
>>
Hikaru, you stupid fuck. If you don't finish him off, then you can't prevent him from pulling the same shit all over again. Don't they teach you not to let your enemy escape in military training?
>>
>hitting on a girl in the middle of combat
This guy.
>>
I didn't take this super seriously when the signs first presented themselves back in episode 11 or so, but they took their Goddamned time hammering it out and shaping it up. So now we get to spend the last three episodes solving the love triangle, which I hear is a regular feature of Macross shows.
>>
>>13732044

It still means the first 26 episodes were rushed. Max's romane was rushed, and Hikaru's didn't get a resolution in the first 26. Not all the way. So a little weird, but not too bad.
>>
>>13732296
>>13732841

Now spend time figuring out how these two numbers jive together. Go on, do it.
>>
>>13732983

I fucking love how 7 played off colossal speakers as an ace card weapon of war.
>>
>>13731390
All real Christains do it :^)
>>
>>13724580
yeah saw this first time in 84 or 85...it was a mind fuck you were....right finally shot thier robot down,

then this comes out and i was oh a mech within a mech....then its a person? and I was like fucccck we are so screwed when even thier infantry are this big......

that and they have so many more ships mechs etc

I was 10 or 11 at the time...in 1991 I was able to look some of this stuff up on mosaic on a sun sparc....macross web pages were among the first out there>>13724580
>>
>>13734559
I'm wondering why you....gotta talk like this you know....it doesn't really make sense....instead of finishing a thought with a period....you do this....and sometimes you put it in the middle of a sentence....I don't understand....
>>
>>13734570
....I don't know...?
>>
>>13734559
...ellipses.
>>
Stupid fucking idiots, the episode.

>Hikaru leaving without trying to even do something like send a message robot to tell Hayase
>Minmay acting like a spoiled bitch
>Hikaru using the scarf that Minmay got him to wrap around Hayase without at least looking at the scarf to check for incriminating evidence
>Kaifun, of all people, being the comparatively reasonable person even if half of that was probably blatant selfishness, jerkishness and lies

Assuming that this is going to be the last time we see Kaifun, he seems to have been played up quite a bit. I was expecting Reccoa or Katz tiers of unlikableness, but the guy has his points sometimes. Even with the bits with alcoholism and blind hatred of the military. His reasoning and anti-war stance are easy to punch holes through, but at the least it wasn't overly force-fed to the audience. Not the best-handled character, but I've seen far worse.
>>
I never liked her as a character, but I would have expected at least some form of development to counter that; there is none. I assume that her charm is supposed to be that she's the naive and pure idol, but in a war setting, and after a two-year time skip, it becomes a liability rather than a strength. After her parents die, and after she spends a couple years touring to try to soothe and encourage the populace that's rebuilding the Earth, she's still the same spoiled child who doesn't think about anything besides singing. Which I suppose you need if you're supposed to try to encourage people, but after a while the real world has to kick in.

Yeah, she's only 16 in the first part of the show and she's very sheltered for the second part, but if you're not going to at least try to grow up, then what good are you?

On that note though, now that I'm getting close to finishing the show (already have DYRL and Flashback 2012 queued up on torrent), two things bother me:

1. I assume that Macross II is not necessary? Reading indicates that it's set in a parallel universe and almost a century later, which would be long after when everything else takes place anyways.

2. Which version of Macross Plus? I don't really want to spoil myself with regards to details, but apparently the movie version has differences from the OVA version.
>>
>>13734909
>1. I assume that Macross II is not necessary?
It doesn't matter really, the fanbase considers it non-canon because Kawamori didn't work on it but its not bad or anything and can be watched at your leisure since canon in Macross is so laxed to begin with its just that II doesn't really get called back in later installments.

>2. Which version of Macross Plus?
Movie is like a Director's Cut with more footage but still the same story, you can eatch one or the other with the same impact.
>>
>>13734956
>eatch
*watch
>>
Does this guy ever stop being awesome? He even has the foresight to realize what might happen to humans centuries after he's dead, and he's taking steps to avoid that.
>>
Jesus, why even compare? She goes from idealistic military brat who's moping over her dead boyfriend, to accepting his death and fighting for peace, to accepting the loss of another love so that she can travel to the stars to safeguard human culture. That's a real character there, with real development.

So much respect for Hayase right now.
>>
YOU STUPID FUCKING BITCH, DO YOU NOT SEE ALL THE EXPLOSIONS KILLING EVERYTHING IN THE CITY? IF HE DOESN'T DO SOMETHING TO STOP IT, THEN MORE PEOPLE WILL DIE, DO YOU WANT TO SEE MORE PEOPLE DIE?

Yeah, I understand that she probably means more that the fighting will mar his spirit and soul and kill him from the inside, but Jesus, do you think he'd feel any better if he just stood by and watched people die?
>>
OK. So there's finally some development. Too bad it comes within 3 minutes of the end of the entire series and after the final climax (which honestly felt a bit rushed).
>>
And, done. Too bad that last post was the image cap, but what can you do.

Well, this was a really fun ride. The entire culture thing was pretty mind-blowing once it entered full swing, and even though the epilogue had its high notes it dragged on for a bit and the final battle went by a bit too fast.

I'm not so sure I'm cut out for watching love triangles unfold; more of a personal thing than anything wrong with its portrayal in this show. The love triangle here felt a bit tacked-on given how it seesawed between Hikaru and Minmay, Hayase and Kaifun, Minmay and Kaifun, back to Hikaru and Minmay, and Hikaru and Hayase, and only mainly taking place in the epilogue. The Hikaru-Hayase part wasn't even really expanded on or made obvious until several episodes into the epilogue, and it was sort of confusing since in episode 11 you even see Hayase cheering Hikaru on for confessing his feelings to Minmay. I assume that it will become more refined in later installments, but overall this one felt rather mild.

With that being said, I'm going to be moving on to DYRL and so on, doing everything in production order as much as I can. Might not bother making a thread for watching Seven, but it may take me a while to get there anyways because I need a bit of a break after this bit of marathoning.
>>
>>13735347
>I assume that it will become more refined in later installments

Let's just say it gets incredibly one-sided in later installments. The next few installments are the last time its given any sort of levity and then it gets pushed aside once you get to 7, this isn't a spoiler btw 7 has A LOT more shit within it and the last thing it needs is a love triangle dragging it more.
>>
>>13735297
>>13735347
Its all downhill from here.
>>
>>13735297
>OK. So there's finally some development. Too bad it comes within 3 minutes of the end of the entire series and after the final climax (which honestly felt a bit rushed).

That's kind of the tragedy though. Hikaru and Minmay both go through the same development arc: they start out doing things (flying, singing) because that's what they want to do. Hikaru's service in the military changes him to realize that he has a duty to protect others, but up until the end Minmay is just singing because she wants to, and she quits when it's no longer fun for her (when it becomes her duty).

She realizes this eventually, but by that point it's too late. Hikaru has given her up for Misa.
>>
>>13734909
For all intents Macross II is a sequel to DYRL. With two PCE games Macross 2036 and Macross Eternal Love Song being in the middle of that continuity.

As for Macross Plus OVA you get a mecha treat at the beginning and seeing how crazy Isamu is. Macross Plus Movie you get better characterization with Guld. At the time Macross Plus Moviie was double billed with the Macross 7 Movie The Galaxy is Calling Me.
>>
>>13735115
The Mankind Seeding Plan is frequently called by fans as the Global Plan.

He gets a ship named after him too in Macross Frontier. Vrlitwhai Kridanik also gets a ship and city named after him in the Macross 30 game.

Exsedol Folmo ironically enough gets a Zentradi size mall named after him in Macross Frontier.

Global, Vrlitwhai, and Exsedol are like the founding fathers of the new nation of Humans and Zentradi.
>>
Are the constant framerate drops part of the show?
>>
>>13734956
>>13735515
Well, apparently the most-seeded torrent on Nyaa has both versions of Plus and is smaller, so I guess I'll be watching both.

>>13735641
Having just gotten through the whole thing... there's only 2 or 3 episodes where it's really noticeable.

If you've watched 0079 and survived, you'll have no problem with this show.
>>
>>13732260
In the head. The head lasers are for shooting down missiles.
>>
>>13735641
It was a show made by a smaller company, not someone big like Toei, TMS or Sunrise. Add to that that it was not easy going back and fixing things like it is today.
>>
>>13733181
Anon, everyone knows that energy = mass. The Protoculture just found a way for the process to work both ways.
Thread posts: 379
Thread images: 151

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.