[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>there are people on /m/ who seriously recommended this book

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 10

File: ready player one.png (122KB, 604x1724px) Image search: [Google]
ready player one.png
122KB, 604x1724px
>there are people on /m/ who seriously recommended this book
>>
>>13724068
What is this exactly?
>>
>>13724072
Ready Player One, a reasonably popular novel from last year that largely banks on a lot of nostalgia. I wouldn't rate it, personally.
>>
>>13724076
Considering you'd have to know about a ridiculous amount of crap to even understand what the hell is going on I don't doubt it.
>>
>>13724087
I was basically its exact audience, but I couldn't bring myself to care about it. It spent a long time going 'hey remember this thing?' and very little time creating some kind of meaning. There was a plot, but there was no story.

When I finished Ready Player One the only feeling I had was the dim realisation that I'd watched and played a lot of junk in my life.
>>
>>13724092
As an addendum: it's also not very well written in a technical sense. It's functional, but if you've ever read a really good novel it's agonising to get through sometimes.
>>
>>13724068
The title was pretty much a warning sign to me.
>>
Should have listened to /lit/.
>>
>>13724068
What the actual fuck
>>
Jesus christ that prose is shocking.
>>
this reads like fanfiction
>>
>>13724076
>from last year
It was released in 2011 retard.
>>
>>13724068
My best friend recommended this drivel. It's just so embarassing. And think about it, this fucker is one of the nerd pandering writers for the MST3K reboot.
>>
Just read the summary on wikipedia, and it sounds really cringeworthy. That said, I'd love to watch Raideen, Minerva X, and Gundam wreck shit.
>>
>>13724068
First I've ever seen it mentioned on /m/ actually.
>>
>>13724202
for what it's worth most of Frank's non-MST3k material is hack shit, so maybe working with the group could get some decent results for this one too
>>
>>13724068
It reads like my little brother's terrible fanfic.
>>
>>13724068

It's a book of references. Nearly every page has something that's just like "Look at how much nerd cred I have!"

Someone recommended it to me and got super shitty when I pointed it out,
>>
>>13725848
>Someone recommended it to me and got super shitty when I pointed it out
I wouldn't mind people liking "HEY GUYS YOU KNOW THING I KNOW THING LETS TOUCH DICKS" so much if they at least didn't get so touchy when you tell them
>>
It's just trashy genre fiction that namedrops "nerdy" things every now and then to appeal to "nostalgic" millenials. It's not even worth the time.
>>
>>13725861
Pls, calling it genre fic is an insult to genre fic.
>>
So from what I gather it's The Big Bang Theory of books?
>>
>>13725869

Yes except worse. It's like the author just went "okay I have a scene where the characters are fighting with mecha from anime," googled "anime mecha" and grabbed the first handful of names that came up.
>>
File: 1399757187103.png (120KB, 403x314px) Image search: [Google]
1399757187103.png
120KB, 403x314px
>>13724068
>there are people on this board who actually like this garbage
It's literally a book of nothing but references, of which Cline constantly explains. The motherfucker feels the need to explain what the the Delorean is. The writing itself is absolutely garbage, too- I'd call it on the level of fanfic, but I've read fanfic better than that shitheap of a book.

It's a book written by a man desperate to show his 'nerd cred' as much as possible before being a 'nerd' isn't popular anymore.

>>13725861
That's insulting to trashy genre fiction.
>>
>>13724068
I had heard some people say that this book was bad, but I always assumed that those people were exaggerating and it couldn't in reality be that bad of a book.
But that's horrible. I always assumed that it's nerd reference stuff would be more subtle, based around common cliches and trends of 90s nerdy stuff, rather than being a list of proper names of things.

I guess I was saved from needing to experience the book on my own.
>>
>>13726217
I guess that's why the audio version is narrated by Wil Wheaton.
>>
>>13724068
What the fuck, is this seriously Ready Player One? I've heard so many good things about this book, but this is the opposite of what I expected. This is straight-up fanfic-tier writing. Jesus Christ, this is embarrassing.
>>
>>13724068
I think I'll wait for the inevitable blockbuster adaption starring a medley of young teen stars and Kiefer Sutherland.
>>
>>13726861
Get ready.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1677720/
>>
>>13726777
Wait, you serious? How did that not create a singularity?
>>
>>13726886
Looks like we'll get to see gundam and robotech in a Hollywood film.
>>
>>13726899
>implying that wasn't the first thing to get cut for the film
>>
>>13724068
I feel like I'm going to be sick.
>>
US MECHERS RITE
>>
>>13724068
That's not the worst writing I've ever seen, but it's pretty pedestrian for a book that's received the sort of praise I've heard about. Honestly the references strike me as cringey more than appealing.
>>
>>13724068
>>
I fucking hate reference books.
Like it's fun every now and then, but nothing boils my hotdogs in a vat of piss than NAME DROP NAME DROP, US NERDS/WHATEVERS RITE GUYS, BY REFERENCING OTHER SHIT, I'LL BE MORE ENTERTAINING BY DEFAULT.
>>
>>13726975
To people like us, yeah. But others get a kick out of the nerd culture-isms because they aren't a part of it. My mom absolutely loved the book, thought there was such a cool concept, behind it all, etc. She's never read/watched any sci-fi and probably understood 10% of the references.
>>
>>13725861

Please, genre fiction deserves better than to be lumped in with this garbage.
>>
>>13724068
>The New York Times said "The book gets off to a witty start" but noted that it lacks at least one dimension, stating that gaming had overwhelmed everything else about this book. USA Today wrote that the novel "undoubtedly qualifies Cline as the hottest geek on the planet right now." NPR said that the book was "ridiculously fun and large-hearted". Cline "takes a far-out premise and engages the reader instantly" with a "deeply felt narrative [that] makes it almost impossible to stop turning the pages."

How much do you have to pay off reviewers to get this kind response?
>>
>>13724068
So how bad of a thing is it that I knew all the references he made in that excerpt? I don't really feel like this is something you should get "cred" for as these are all really well known mecha, at least among even casual mecha fans. It's not like he was namedropping Jet-Alone, Catol, Bloody One, and the GenoCyDroid. He didn't even call Go Lion by their proper name.
Also how are we supposed to feel like the MC is in any kind of danger when he's in fucking LEOPARDON?
>>
File: 1332995116646.png (472KB, 957x535px) Image search: [Google]
1332995116646.png
472KB, 957x535px
Wouldn't it be more entertaining if it didn't use any names, letting it be more easily digested by normalfags and making the references into bonuses for people who can piece together what they're supposed to be?
>>
File: 1451607831663.jpg (195KB, 631x494px) Image search: [Google]
1451607831663.jpg
195KB, 631x494px
>I got this as a Christmas present for my friend because I heard lots of good things about it

fug
>>
>>13724068
That shit reads like bad fan fiction holy shit.
>>
>>13727534
Honestly I wouldn't mind the references so much if he just said the mecha name instead of the name of the show along with it. It just seems like a shit attempt at showing how nerdy he is instead of leaving it for something for mecha fans, after all it's not like someone who watched Gundam would need a reminder of which entry the RX-78 came from. Or better he could just describe what the mecha looks like because it sure as hell isn't helping anyone who doesn't know shit about those shows to just name drop them. It's like he's expecting readers to stop reading and google every piece of media he name drops they don't know about.
>>
>>13727742
It really is the thought that counts. You thought they might enjoy it. A bad book isn't exactly a jar of ebola.
>>
>>13727560

well, yes. That's how parody and homage are supposed to be done.

You can watch the Magnificent Seven without even hearing the name Akira Kurosawa
>>
>>13726886
Reminder: the film rights for this this were bought before the book even came out.
>>
>>13727159
Nothing at all, the people who review for journals and such are notoriously retarded People who review for a living in general are pretty retarded
>>
>>13726217
I've read erotic fanfics better written than this shit.
>>
>>13724068
Damn it anon, I tried to make a thread with that same image and you beat me to it.

It really wouldn't be so bad if he just let the references lie, without feeling the need to explain EVERYTHING
>>
I got this in a Lootcrate a while back and immediately gave it to my girlfriend to read. She's been on my ass to get to reading it because she loves it and thinks it's awesome.

That excerpt is really not encouraging me at all.
>>
>>13730017
>That excerpt is really not encouraging me at all.

What if I told you the climax is literally the main character quoting Monty Python?
>>
How bad do you think the Steven Spielberg adaptation is going to be?
>>
>>13724068
>>13724068
e m b a r a s s i n g
>>
>>13730054
Spielberg will do an ok job but god help who ever has to write the screenplay and the actors who have to actually perform that garbage.
>>
>>13730030
Depends on the quote. It's probably from Holy Grail isn't it
>>
>>13730030
Is it the taunting frenchman?
Please say it's the taunting frenchman.

It's not, is it? Probably the Black Knight, then.
>>
>>13730092
>Probably the Black Knight, then.
>climax of the novel is ZZ isn't canon
>>
>>13730144
>"He was dressed as Takeshi Hongo, from the long run tokusatsu series Kamen Rider. Fucking bugfags."
>>
It's one of only eight books I've given back to the library before I finished it, and the only one I did so out of disinterest. I dropped it when the main character was flying through space in his X-Wing from the movie Star Wars, and got attacked by a group of space pirates in a Firefly class spaceship from the tv show Firefly, which was one of his favorite twenty-first century shows that sadly got cancelled early.

Like, fuck off dude. I thought the old translation of Battle Royal's prose was fanfiction-tier, but Ready Player One makes that shit read like a Dan Simmons work.
>>
>>13726886
Get ready for /m/ to be flooded by people who heard about mecha from this book but refuse to watch any of the shows because anime news network said they had dated animation styles.

Same thing with the tg stuff here. Its disturbing that some of my gaming mates only know about Tomb of Horrors from this chapter book.
>>
>>13724191
Bitch! Please. i've read fanfictioners that can out do the dumbfuck that wrote this garbage.
>>
Its funny that when the author tries to flex his knowledge of classic anime he mentions shows like The Star Blazers and Robotech
>>
>>13724068

>aech was actually a female in real life

I highly doubt that
>>
File: texplainthejoke.jpg (130KB, 674x510px) Image search: [Google]
texplainthejoke.jpg
130KB, 674x510px
>>13724068
>>
>>13730540
Hey, that's The Joker, the famous villian from the Batman franchise.
>>
>>13730528
he's looking for "mainstream american nerd cred", not "i actually enjoy 70s anime cred", as the former has marketing potential and the latter is about as marketable as j-list.
>>
>>13730556
Anonymous, the legendary online presence of the onlines, made another hilarious joke. Jokes of course were the well-known style of amusement.
>>
>Shoko removed Aceh's pants slowly and out popped his penis, a male reproductive organ used to transfer genetic material to a suitable mate, which throbbed needingly. "I haven't seen one of these since that one episode of Seinfeld, a 1990s US sitcom," she whispered softly, which implies that she considered the situation intimate and not matter-of-fact.
Aceh could nearly hear the sparks popping like high tension power lines on a humid summers day, which occurs due to electrical discharge into the moist air, and began to stroke his ever-expanding organ as blood poured into the vascular tissue causing the swelling that is normally associated with male arousal. He was ready.
>>
>>13730641>01/09/16(Sat)23:55:39 No.
>can't even get the meme arrows right
>>
>>13730528

Clearly the dude browses robotechx.com. And laughed all the way to the bank.
>>
my dad actually got me this book for Christmas after liking it a lot. It always hurts when you find out your parents are retarded too.
>>
>>13724068
that book was ok. i read it again recently, was just references and terminology that is supposed to be nerdy and incite nostalgia boners, but i dont hate it. it was just embarrassingly stupid more than awesomely stupid.
>>
>MC is piloting based Leopardon
>Is actually intimidated by his opponents
So did the author even watch Spiderman? Leopardon is the best thing you can have on your side against those mechs.
>>
>>13724068
I thought it would be the overuse of "I" page.

Oh boy, it was worse than I thought.
Like others, even I saw someone gushing about it who used to show some sort of nerd-cred in the known circles.
>>
So /m/, is this "prose" better or worse than that Star Wars book where TIE Fighters wibble and wobble?
>>
>>13731472
I need clarification. So the TIE Fighters wibbled and they wobbled, but did they fall down? This being a reference to the tagline for the 1970's toy Weebles, who were advertised as toys that would wobble, but never fall down. It's worse.
>>
>>13727560
the things I'd do to that voice
>>
>>13731481
Shit, I can't remember the exact details but I do remember it was where the author was getting assblasted on twitter and calling critics of his book homophobes because they didn't like his poorly written gay character. When Hiroyuki lost the archive what was the time range? If summer and before is safe I should be able to find it.
>>
>>13731504
Good luck the new archive has a gaping hole in the 2013 to when it came online in 2015 range for /m/
>>
>Robotech
>>
I guess still is supposed to appeal to those retards who like retro pixelshit indie games.
>>
File: 1448247623615.jpg (25KB, 769x439px) Image search: [Google]
1448247623615.jpg
25KB, 769x439px
>>13724068

I don't even know what that is, and simply skimming through it gave me corruption points.
>>
>he pulled out his Gundam brand Gundam from the TV series Gundam featuring Gundams

literally SAO fanfiction
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_Player_One
>>
>>13730910
Someone else is piloting Minerva X. I don't know if you watched Toeizinger but she's fully autonomous, so I'd be scared of piloting her too. Also, I don't know which Robotech mecha the other players are piloting, but a VF could take down Leapordon. If it couldn't, 80 story, invincible, god-killing Eva units could.
>>
>>13724068

wow htis guy sucks.
>>
>>13731504
Aftermath?
>>
>>13731943
>a VF could take down Leapordon
>take down
>Leopardon
Not gonna happen. You might fend it off, keep it from its objective, or otherwise ruin its day, but you're not going to destroy it with a VF or anything else.
>>
>>13732280
VFs carry black hole missiles, remember? Plus, they're vastly more maneuverable than Leapordon.
>>
>>13724068
The problem with this shit is that most of it reads like the author is standing in a room full of 80s movie posters and arcade cabinets and jerking off. There are some good ideas but it all fades whenever he talks about Joust, the famous game from the 1980s developed by William Electronics etc

>>13730910
I feel like he only saw like five episodes off of a convention bootleg. I want to believe this because dude gets Raideen's God Gorgon wrong, saying it's a bow that he has to hold in his hand. It's mounted to his fucking arm.

>>13732960
Leopardon withstands total weapon barrages on a regular basis and is considered to be the most invincible robot in Tokusatsu. VFs shouldn't be a problem, but the Evas would definitely be a trouble spot.
>>
>>13730084
It is.
>>
>>13730624
>Jokes of course were the well-known style of amusement.
>>
>>13724068
Talking about /m/ books, has anybody read that Shell Bullet book that Ikuhara wrote and Nagano did the art for?
Are there any translation projects for it?
>>
File: CWHgVU3WUAA6egC.jpg (134KB, 1023x685px) Image search: [Google]
CWHgVU3WUAA6egC.jpg
134KB, 1023x685px
>>13726896
>>13726777
>>13726217
>This nerd culture abomination golem
>narrated by Wil Wheaton

i want to burn this ride to the goddamn ground
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.