[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
What a fucking travesty for them to ruin...
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 343
Thread images: 36
What a fucking travesty for them to ruin this once glorious franchise with substandard garbage geared towards the lowest common denominator.

Macross is fucking dead to me.
>>
File: 1451995726755.jpg (734 KB, 1878x1200) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1451995726755.jpg
734 KB, 1878x1200
>>13719597
You don't like kawaii~ idol group?
>>
>>13719597
And yet it's leagues better than IBO and G-Reco. Holy shit Sunrise get your shit together.
>>
>>13719597
>YOU'RE DEAD TO ME CAN OPENER
>>
>>13719612
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nganwRHr3VE desu
>>
>>13719614

As bad as G-Reco was, that is leagues ahead of this trash. Don't even make the shitty comparison.

IBO is solid but I want to see where it goes for the remaining episodes.
>>
>>13719619
>G-Reco anything but trash
It was a colossal failure like TRY and IBO is looking to be next. Even Thunderbolt can't save this shit franchise.
>>
>>13719622

I knew you were a troll but I wanted to give you a chance. Consider this the last response you will get, have a good night.
>>
I know, Robotech > Macross. Where's my serious war drama?
>>
>>13719622
>TRY
>bad
>>
File: 1368252828526.jpg (429 KB, 835x1191) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1368252828526.jpg
429 KB, 835x1191
>>13719628
You'll come back. You always come back.
>>
lol what are these. N64 graphics.


And this is just the first episode, lol.

Is kawamori even part of this trash?
>>
>>13719661
>Is kawamori even part of this trash?
Kawamori is the king of the hacks, sitting upon his hack throne in the great castle of hacktopia ruling all his hack people with a just but hackish hand

except his mech designs, he's always been solid there
>>
>>13719661
Same director as MS Igloo iirc
>>
I am really trying to be positive because I loved the prequel but this just looks horrendous. This might be the worst preview I seen in years.

Sigh.
>>
>>13719672
>>13719678


Okay guis, I'm done with this. I'll just ignore and hide all threads related to this show. It's pretty fucking bad to the point of hilarity - but even then, It's to painful to keep on watching.

I just wanted to know what the general vibe is to this show. I guess I'm not the only like-minded anon here.
>>
File: Mario64.jpg (26 KB, 276x369) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Mario64.jpg
26 KB, 276x369
>>13719661
>N64 graphics.
If only, N64 graphics are charmingly bad.
This isn't charming.
>>
>>13719680
If you don't like it, you don't like it. There's no shame in that.
>>
>>13719680
>I loved the prequel
AKB0048?
>>
>>13719597

Kawamoris is GAY
>>
>>13721598
wanting something fun = gay
>>
>>13719612
Are those supposed to be clones or something? That goes above and beyond sameface.
>>
>>13721598
Kawamori is just a lazy stoner

>>13719780
>AKB0048
if that's the case, it's a much better produced and animated precuel, even with better staff involved.
>>
What we have in the OP isn't normal salt... it's ADVANCED salt.
>>
OPs doing a great job of pretending to be autistic
>>
>>13719661
>graphics
>>>/v/
>>
Macross Delta is going to be mecha anime of the year
>>
File: time to.webm (2 MB, 718x404) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
time to.webm
2 MB, 718x404
Majority of posters on /m/
>>
>>13721622
>not having a gay old time
>>
OK, someone help a newfag out. The watching order is

SDF Macross TV -> Macross Plus -> Macross Seven TV -> Macross Frontier TV -> Macross Delta

Correct? I can just ignore Macross Zero and any of the movies, right?
>>
File: dyrl10.jpg (120 KB, 800x1419) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
dyrl10.jpg
120 KB, 800x1419
>>13722971
>I can just ignore Macross Zero and any of the movies, right?

Correct. DYRL is a very pretty movie, but I don't think it's all that it's hyped up to be. Like any other compilation movie, just save it for when you want to make a quick revisit the original.
>>
>>13722971
I would suggest watching Do You Remember Love after SDF Macross.
>>
>>13722971

Why ignore Zero? It looked amazing, and was pretty fun overall.

Don't ignore the films. DYRL is a mostly new version of the story with some interesting bits. The Plus film is the intended version of the story. The 7 film is just a neat one off episode, not a recap. And the Frontier films introduce some new stuff too.

In that list you're also missing the smattering of 7 OVAs, straight to VHS episodes, shorts, etc. But that should all be in the complete 7 torrents floating around anyway.
>>
>>13719661
>Is kawamori even part of this trash?
Yes, and that's the problem.

He's like George Lucas. He wasn't the only one who made the old stuff great, and he thinks that his "vision" for the series is what's best for it.
>>
>>13722992

I forgot, Flashback 2012. It's after DYRL, or the TV show. It's in DYRL's style, and is as close to an epilogue as you're ever going to get on the original cast.
>>
>>13722971
7 has a bunch of sequel OVAs and shit, I haven't gotten around to any of them so I can't tell you what order

Honestly I actually liked Macross II, it wasn't great but it was some pretty neat sci-fi

Macross Plus has a movie version that cuts some shit out but adds some new things, there's a Complete Edition fancut that splices in the new bits somewhere

I haven't heard great things about Zero, but it's a prequel

Frontier's movies do some different things, too
>>
>>13722992
>straight to VHS episodes
Excuse me, this is Japan. They were straight to LD.
>>
>>13722998

Dude I have no idea what in the fuck they were straight to, but they were straight to it. I'm not talking Dynamite. The Encore episodes. You know what I mean.
>>
>>13722992
My concern is largely to do with confusion as to what is "canon" or not. People get confused all the fucking time with the Zeta movies since the ending is different from the TV series, and the 0079 movies are largely unnecessary if you've watched the series.

It's not so much about saving time (if I'm going to be watching multiple 30+ episode series then I have plenty of time), but keeping a straight head about a timeline of events.
>>
>>13719697
"Every day is so colorful now and I get prettier by the day"

Fucking what? What kind of fucking lyrics are these? Who wrote this shit, a 3 year old girl?
>>
>>13723017
Macross does not care about canon

Things are set so far apart from each other it barely matters

It's not gonna be a "Sayla explicitly flies the Core Booster in CCA, therefore the movies are canon" situation with Macross

Closest thing is in DYRL they change the alien appearance and flight suits to be different than the TV series and that stays consistent, but you'll definitely have to watch the TV sereies first to stomach DYRL
>>
>>13723007

That's the... weird thing about Macross. It's sort of all canon, even the conflicting stuff. It seems Kawamori used the films to do things in other ways, and then had sequels refer to bits of both versions. Everything after SDFM looks like it did in DYRL, yet when they reference plot points they seem to reference the TV show versions. The fan fix is that DYRL is an in universe film creating a fantasy version of the war (For some reason.) that used the modern tech rather than getting correct dated props. Or something. Just go with it.

Honestly, the only what's canon or not debates in Macross are the fact that II isn't canon, as zero of the original creators were involved. It's still worth watching though. It looked neat. And also, that it seems the Plus film is the canon version, as it only cut a few scenes, seemingly for editorial rather than time reasons. But that's sort of hard to tell too.

Obviously nothing has dealt with what's canon from Frontier yet. But I bet it'll be the same mess as SDFM's 'canon' is too.
>>
>>13723029
oop, meant to quote>>13723007
>>
>>13719619
>As bad as G-Reco was
Found the retard.
>>
>>13719597
>substandard garbage geared towards the lowest common denominator

That's the destiny of everything. Sadly, entropy is a strong force in entertainment.
>>
>>13722971
Without Macross Zero you'll miss some relevant references in Macross Frontier's plot.

DYRL is an in universe movie for Macross 7 but you'll notice from Macross Plus henceforth Zentradi having elf ears. Macross creator Shoji Kawamori said all Macross productions are in universe documentaries anyway. DYRL first had Zentradi with elf ears.
Now Macross II Lovers Again is a sequel to Macross DYRL.
>>
>>13722987
>DYRL is a very pretty movie, but I don't think it's all that it's hyped up to be.

Idiot. Die.
>>
>>13723051

This guy has a good point about Zero. It's brought up in Frontier, so it's worth watching first.

Most of Macross is created in the timeline order, with Zero being the sole exception (I think?) With that said, it can be watched any time after SDFM, but before Frontier.
>>
>>13723007
With the line-up you described, you'll be left scratching your head a little. Aesthetically later entries take more from DYRL than the original series, and it can be ambiguous as to which version of events is being followed.

Each entry is usually pretty stand alone, so what's most important is having the widest possible understanding of the franchise.

I remember someone saying that Kawamori believed that every entry in the franchise was simply a dramatisation of real events, as opposed to a real depiction of what happened.
>>
>>13723057

Naw, he's not too far off. I wasn't too keen on it until Misa's "Of course it was a love song." line near the end. Then, god help me, I bawled like a baby.
>>
>>13723066

Yeah, people say that, but of course us being fans in the west hearing fragments of interviews translated back in the goddamned GeoCities days doesn't help.
>>
>>13723051
Oh I forgot Macross 2012 lashback is pretty much music videos but it is ultimately the main triangle leaving Earth for the stars... Never to be heard from again. Thus one of the greatest mysteries in Macross is where did Megaroad 1 go?
>>
>>13723083
Good thing nobody in charge gives a fuck about Megaroad 1.
>>
>>13723074
I certainly can't vouch for its accuracy. So much material goes unknown to us.

>>13723090
In practice this is completely meaningless, but Mr Bilrer gives a fuck, and he runs SMS.
>>
>>13722971
Not even exaggerating, but DYRL is one of the most beautifully animated movies I've ever seen and it's totally worth watching for that alone. The plot is pretty good, but it is more or less dumbed down SDF. Just think of it more as a bonus and not the main thing.
>>
>>13723090
A certain train and French Maid loving Zentradi transport mogul does.
>>
Okay, so... I guess the answer is to watch it all?

I'm okay with that.
>>
>>13723154
It really is best to watch it all. Macross is a little like a puzzle where you put together context. Each entry can usually stand on its own without needing prior familiarity, but you get a fuller experience when you see the whole thing.
>>
I'm surprised anyone didn't see this coming. Macross's choice of singers always reflects the music that is popular in japan at the time. Also the magical girls thing is also fairly popular these days so it makes sense for them to create a magical action pop group.

I'm looking forward to more of Mikumo. And the action scenes were actually pretty good at the end of the episode. Whole episode went by pretty quickly and a lot happened too so it was much faster paced than Frontier's first episode. April should be fun.
>>
>>13723229
>I'm looking forward to more of Mikumo.

You and me both.
>>
>>13723229
Magical girls are not a current trend. They have been popular for decades. And the music sounds like it could have been made in the 80s or 90s.
>>
>>13723229
I agree, it seems like it'll be fun.
>>
>>13719597
But Macross always had that idol trash stuff and this is just what idol trash looks like these days.
>>
>>13723308
What is the current music like in Japan?
>>
>>13723154

Yeah. Everybody on /m/ has opinions, and they're all wrong anyway. The only stuff they'll tell you to skip is either loved by other people, or a short enough film.
>>
>>13719612
>>13721633
Yeah there is just...no difference besides eye color, hair color, and fashion.
>>
>>13723339
Baby metal.
>>
>>13723355
That's because it's fanart. Instead, look at some official art.
>>
>>13723362
That and progressive rock.
>>
>>13723394
That's even worse.
>>
This is odd. Big West actually uploaded the pilot episode on Youtube on the same day. No interview with Kawamori or the staff though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyQQYQDGPJM
>>
>>13723546
What's odd about it?
HG isn't going to pull that down because it is on Youtube.
>>
>>13723559
I wasn't even referring anything about HG. I found it odd because they put it up on Youtube right after it aired and was watchable hours before any of the raws were available for download.

With regards to HG if they can't pull it down on Youtube can't they add subtitles to like what Bandai is doing with Gundam IBO when it officially airs?
>>
>>13723545
thatsthejoke.jpg
>>
I feel like a retard for not noticing it before, but after watching the Frontier OP a couple of times I twigged to ALL of the Macross series having love triangles in them. But I don't see this in Delta. Any guesses?
>>
>>13723626
>Kawamori pointed out that the delta symbol in the logo is made of triangular symbols to symbolize the three main thematic elements of Macross: music, a love triangle, and Valkyries. However, he also noted that the two symbols are split, and explained that this is indicative that the three elements will not come together as expected in the new story.
>>
>>13723626
>But I don't see this in Delta.
Couldn't you tell that its Hayate, Freyja, and Mirage?
>>
File: 1445913759187.png (891 KB, 1024x529) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1445913759187.png
891 KB, 1024x529
>>13723626
Hmmm... main character meets two girls during the first episode. One wants to be an idol, the other is in the military...

Nop, doesn't ring any bells
>>
>>13723626
>There are literally two girls the MC meets in the first episode
>I wonder if there will be a future love triangle with them in fucking Macross
>Naaaaah
>>
>>13723631
I'm interested to see what, if anything, Kawamori means by that. The triangle is a really enduring element in Macross in the franchise but it's the one I can take or leave. Even the original, which was a metaphor for Hikaru's struggle between childhood and adulthood, didn't exactly get my heart racing except in DYRL.

Like in Frontier, there was nothing really wrong with the triangle, but I just couldn't get invested in it, in part because it wasn't really about anything and while I liked each individual character I didn't really care who ended up with who. I thought Cathy's love triangle with Leon and Ozma was way more interesting.

I remember after the Deculture edition of the first episode come out and some anon here said something along the lines of 'I'm a little confused, is this going to be about Ranka picking between Sheryl and Alto?' and while we all had a laugh at how that would never happen, it would have been novel compared to what actually happened.
>>
>>13723719
>I thought Cathy's love triangle with Leon and Ozma
One is the MC's cool mentor and the other is a shady politician working with the bad guys. How is this obvious outcome interesting at all?
>>
>>13723719

I don't think it's actually that enduring, since 7 and Frontier only had the most perfunctory of love triangles. Basara never showed any interest in any girls and he was one of the apparent legs in both the Mylene/Gamlin triangle and the Sivil/Gigil one, while Alto basically treated Ranka as a younger sister throughout Frontier. The outcome to both was pretty obvious and was never really contested throughout the show. So Kawamori just going "fuck it, ditch the triangles" is just him getting rid of a vestigial thing that it doesn't look like even he wanted.
>>
>>13723748
I don't need to be kept guessing about something to find it interesting. As far as romance go who ends up with who is the least important part to me. What I like is the kinds of feelings and circumstances that create drama. Ozma was obviously going to 'win' but they still had baggage.
>>
>>13723779
I might be remembering wrong, but I never even got the feeling Cathy cared much about Leon. Rather than actual triangle, it seemed like a romance with Leon being an obstacle to it.
>>
>>13723768
Basara throws the calculus off, but I'm not so sure I agree about Frontier. While I agree that Kawamori went into Frontier with a definite winner in mind (to the point that Alto and Sheryl sleep together in the novelisation, and obviously Alto actually tells the girls how he feels), I think it was still used as a big feature. The first OP is even called 'Triangular.' Ranka never stood a chance, but sure does try.

>>13723787
It's been a while for me, but I recall feeling like she liked Leon well enough (to begin with), but in normal circumstances wouldn't have gotten engaged to him. But it's those kinds of circumstances that I find interesting, as well. It doesn't get a huge amount of screen time, of course, but I still felt like I could get into Cathy Glass' head and get a sense of her complicated feelings about Leon and Ozma.
>>
>>13723805

Leon always felt like a safe relationship to contrast the tumultuous one she had with Ozma. Leon was in a much more steady and safe job where he wasn't danger, he obviously had a plan for his career and was determined to follow it and he had the connections to follow through on that plan almost regardless of his own determination, he was also more possessive and made her feel more obviously in a relationship and loved because of it I suppose.
>>
>>13723816
That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. Because the characters are adults they can have needs and circumstances that normally wouldn't apply to the leads in a Macross entry, Guld-Myung-Isamu triangle aside.
>>
>>13723229
>magical girls thing is also fairly popular these days
Magical girls were a bigger thing during Frontier's and Zero's runs than they are now, anon. Probably 7, too.
>>
File: Macross-7.jpg (71 KB, 500x396) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Macross-7.jpg
71 KB, 500x396
What a fucking travesty for them to ruin this once glorious franchise with substandard garbage geared towards the lowest common denominator.

Macross is fucking dead to me.
>>
>>13723805
>Alto and Sheryl sleep together in the novelisation
In the show, too.
>>
>>13723850
I should have been more precise. The novel is just clearer about what happens in episode 19.
>>
In relation to this, what would people like to see done with the love triangle aspect in a hypothetical Macross series? We've had a few variations over the length of the franchise.

Personally I'd be okay with a triangle where the resolution is 'nobody gets together and they all move on with their lives.' That cleaves a little closely to the ending of Samurai Champloo and people probably wouldn't like it, but the ending of Samurai Champloo was great so might as well rip that off.
>>
>>13723906
Already did that with Macross 7.
>>
File: 193754[1].jpg (35 KB, 256x256) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
193754[1].jpg
35 KB, 256x256
I want to go on MR KAWAMORIS WILD RIDE
>>
File: w3oeSWC.png (61 KB, 275x417) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
w3oeSWC.png
61 KB, 275x417
>>13723911
Somehow that never really twigged for me, so you genuinely just blew my tiny mind.
>>
Listening to Ikenai Borderless in honor of this thread. Thanks OP for reminding me this was a thing.
>>
>>13723906
>Samurai Champloo was a love triangle
I uh don't really remember that at all.
>>
>>13723982
It wasn't, but it had a three person main cast structure that conveniently lines up with a love triangle, while demonstrating that you can end with people going their separate ways.
>>
>>13723906
>Samurai Champloo
Speaking of that, we need a rapping Valkyrie that wields a microphone.
>>
>>13723973
GIRI GIRI AI!
>>
>>13724043
>the idol is into hip hop
>zentraedi bboys

I'm down like Guld accidentally crashed me into the earth.
>>
>>13723844
Surprisingly there are a few airing every season
>>
>>13723906
One that gets solved before the series ends so we get to see how the loser deals with their unrequited love and moves on (I think this is what they should have done with Ranka). A love quadrangle in the form of two love triangles would be nice, too. Also, one that ends in a threesome because why not.
>>
>>13724059
Let's not front, that year's Precure is usually top three most badass thing in each season.
>>
>>13724064
I like the idea of seeing the triangle resolve early. There's this belief that relationships are boring, but I don't think they have to be. Combined with the third point having to just deal with it, I can definitely see the potential here.
>>
>>13724074
I just don't think you need to keep viewers guessing who is the protagonist gonna choose when the outcome is really obvious, like in Frontier. And I like stories that deal with heartbreak and moving on and acknowledge that first love is not the end-all. I liked that the movies gave Ranka her rejection so she could move on and showed her doing fine and wishing Alto would come back so Sheryl could wake up. I wish the had done that in the series, too.

>There's this belief that relationships are boring, but I don't think they have to be
Same. Sometimes reading about an established relationship can be more interesting that the getting-together part. Especially if they have been together for some time or there are some communication problems between them.
>>
>>13723035
Well, we can at least state that whether or not stuff like the YF-29/YF-30 were in a "canon" entry, they are real somewhere in-universe.
>>
I just don't get this obsession with "canon" in the first place, if something that happened before is relevant in the current series it will be referenced. Does it really make a big difference? Shit in other series constantly gets retconned anyways, it isn't something unique to Macross.
>>
>>13724064
>A love quadrangle in the form of two love triangles
I wouldn't be surprised to see this in Delta, actually. One triangle with Hayate at its center, and one hinging on Freyja.
>>
>>13724129
People just like having things to argue about and it's an excuse to shit on things you don't like. Meticulously curated canon is a fad right now.
>>
>>13724129
>I just don't get this obsession with "canon"

It's a very strange thing. Some parts of a fictional franchise are more real than others? What a notion.
>>
>>13724130
It's what I'm betting my money on right now. I mean, they haven't revealed the main triangle yet, and while I'm pretty sure the Freyja-Hayate-Mirage triangle is almost a given, it's way too basic. So to spice things up they may add a second triangle revolving around Freyja or Mirage. Also, Kawamori said in an interview that they had thought of having a love quadrangle in Frontier adding Brera into the mix.
>>
>>13724142
It's not like even that is anything new though, look at the wacky polygon in 7. Even SDF had the added dynamics of Kaifun and Misa's dead boyfriend.
>>
>>13724148
I'm still wondering what part of Kaifun reminded Misa of his dead boyfriend. Because they looked nothing alike (I laughed a lot whenever Misa got all mopey over Kaifun).
>>
>>13722273
>advanced salts.
Cool does it create newtypes
>>13722336
It used to not be this way. I see a lot of non shitposting /m/en on other boards though now.
>>
>>13722992
>recommending zero
>looked good
It looks only ok but the show basically isnt macross. Also i want to compare it to rahxephone for some reason.
>>
File: e8a.gif (2 MB, 390x277) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
e8a.gif
2 MB, 390x277
>>13724223
>the show basically isnt macross
Grab a load of this faggot.
>>
>>13724223
>love triangle
>transforming fighter planes
>music is important to the plot
>Not Macross
>>
>>13723844
>Magical girls were a bigger thing during Frontier's and Zero's runs than they are now, anon. Probably 7, too.
True, but it was primarily kids shows like Precure, rather than "Magical Girls for Adults". Back then, examples like Nanoha were few and far between, while these days there's been Madoka and Symphogear and a few other shows. It's certainly gaining in popularity.
>>
File: 1272886427186.jpg (229 KB, 704x2376) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1272886427186.jpg
229 KB, 704x2376
I have a fairly high tolerance for maho shojo and even managed to sit through all of akb0048 but delta is looking crap so far.
>>
>>13724308
>have a fairly high tolerance for maho shojo
>managed to sit through all of akb0048
>thinks delta is looking crap so far
I can already smell the bullshit all the way here.
>>
>>13723844
Like other anons said, its only recently there's been a bigger surge in magical girl stuff not aimed at little girls, thanks to Madoka mostly. Off the top of my head there's that YuYuYu show a few seasons back, and Symphogear showing that magical girls + music can make fucking bank on CD sales.
>>
you aren't supposed to take Macross too seriously
>>
GIRI GIRI AAII
>>
>Windmere firehair faggot intentionally attacking the Walkure

Literally bottom-barrel in the list of Characters To Feel Anything About Other Than Frothing Rage because these guys are intentionally helping the spread of Var Syndrome and the damage to civilians caused and they know it.

Also these guys look too baseline human. I keep thinking they're a colony fleet whose leadership went full monarchy, announced themselves a new faction of humanity independent from NUNS, and they're now commencing hostilities because muh new national territory woes.
>>
>>13724502
>the hair things are some sort of mind controlling parasites
>>
>>13724394
IKENAI BORDERLIIIIIIIINE!
>>
>>13723339
Japanese music is a clusterfuck of different styles and scenes (second largest music industry in the world; only behind the US). What sells the most is still idol pop though, but arguably those numbers are skewed since those groups release a bazillion singles with multiple versions and obsessive fans buy them all.
>>
>>13719597
i swear to god you are the cancer killing /m/ so many autists.
>>
Anyone got the first song they sang?

ie. Not GIRI GIRI AI
>>
>>13724668
It hasn't been released yet.
>>
>>13724530
GET OUT MY HEAD
GET OUT
>>
>>13724668
Just listen to Ikenai Borderline more until the desire for something else leaves you
>>
Macross hasn't been genuinely good since zero.
>>
>>13724734
Bait on /m/ hasn't been genuinely good some 2008
>>
>>13724734
What on earth is good about zero? It's not bad, but the plot is a clusterfuck and the CGI is pretty awkward.
>>
>>13724734
Macross peaked with plus. I don't have strong opinions either way on 7 and Zero.

Frontier was where big corporate got involved, macross joined the modern age and became a business. The merchandise was ready to go before it even aired and very aspect of its design was molded by committees and market researchers. Delta is apparently taking the same plan but dialing it up to 11.

Some would say this is better than not getting any new macross at all but after seeing the delta pilot I'm not so sure.

It would be easier to tolerate if they did some spinoffs to cater to the SDF and Plus fans.
>>
>>13724831
Plus wasn't even going to be Macross in the first place.
>>
>>13724831
> Macross peaked with plus
>>
>>13724831
So who was the final battle in Frontier molded for exactly?
>>
Really? A fucking hair clip? On the male protagonist? Does macross really have to be the first mecha franchise to sink this low?

I can't show this shit to my friends.
>>
>>13719597
>show appeals to multiple demographic
>watch show for what appeals to you specifically
>ignore other demographics
Is that really so hard to do? This shit isn't your personal blog. No one cares about
how great you think SDF and Plus are.
>>
>>13719597
Yeah, I watched the special, and it's just pure trash. It's not like Frontier was a masterpiece or anything, but it was a solid entry and overall enjoyable. This is horrible.
>>
>>13724904
>The poster count didn't change
Just show them the combat scenes only you colossal faggot. You won't be able to see the hairclip while he's wearing EX Gear
>>
File: sakusmug3.jpg (45 KB, 554x588) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
sakusmug3.jpg
45 KB, 554x588
> I can't show this shit to my friends.
>>
>>13724904
Its macross. Its always been like this.

And you need friends with higher power levels, I was able to have a giggle at even imocho's expense with mine.
>>
>>13724926
Complaining about one of the most famous mecha franchises sinking to a new low is textbook /m/ material. What are you talking about?
>>
>>13724944
I'm talking about you thinking anyone gives a shit about your opinion you subhuman piece of trash. Shut your fucking mouth and get back to your IBO containment thread.

That goes doubly for all you Macrossfags. No one gives a fuck how much you think Macross is ruined or what your favorite entry in the franchise is. Fuck right off to a different site entirely and don't come back.

You're all cancer, every last one of you cocksucking faggots.
>>
>>13724967
>don't talk about mecha in /m/
>>
>>13724967
troll harder
>>
>>13724972
>>13724975
>replying to trolls
Jesus /m/
>>
>>13724984
Kira Yamato?
>>
>>13719697
>gg subs

come on anon try harder
>>
>>13723007
the movies are movies in the macross universe

dyrl was filmed in macross 7

zero was filmed in frontier
>>
>>13725012
They were pretty bad even by gg standards.

>Onigiri is "Japanese doughnut"
Serious what the fuck? At least say rice ball.
>>
>>13724939
>Its macross. Its always been like this.

It really hasn't. In the mid 90's macross plus was relatively mainstream in the tech-savvy west. Popular gaming and entertainment magazines covered it, it was heavily advertised and they even had posters for it up at my local video store before anyone knew what anime was. I showed it to dozens of regular people and they loved it.

Plus was actually one of the safest anime to show people, gorgeous animation, no japanese craziness, solid action right off the bat.

I wouldn't dare show anyone delta based on what I've seen so far.
>>
>>13725034

Pretty much. Plus and SD are the sort of solid scifi that you don't need to be a weeaboo to enjoy. You can show plus to someone who isn't a fan of anime and be reasonably sure they are going to have a good time.

Delta isn't quite BOATGIRLS-tier, but god damn is it trying. Its not that I don't want Symphogear season 4, but Id just appreciate it if it stayed in its own show.
>>
>>13725027
>He's seriously not used to gg's trolling right now

>>13725034
Why do you care about showing anime to other people so much? Why is this even a factor?
>>
>>13725034
there's the thing anon

nobody gives a shit about the west
>>
>>13725034
>>13725067
>kowtowing to normie sensibilities
I think that's a bigger problem, desu sempai.
>>
>>13725034
>90's
>>13725034
>>13725067
>wanting to show anime to normalfaggots
>>
>>13725072

Have fun not having friends, then.

I like sharing things that I enjoy with other people and making them group activities. But for that to work, the things I enjoy need to not be the sort of things you need to be a level 6 or higher weeaboo to not cringe at.
>>
>>13725071
>>13725072
>>13725080
Delta is terrible by weaboo standards too unless you just eat up anything with idols in it.
>>
>>13719699
>If only, N64 graphics are charmingly bad.

No, they where just crap.
>>
>>13725082
Watch something else, problem solved. XD
>>
So all this bullshit is because you want to be able to look cool in front of your normie friends by showing them anime?
>>
>>13725085
I only watch Macross.. so yes?
>>
>>13725082
not my problem you have pleb friends who can't have fun
>>13725085
0/10
>>
>>13725085
This episode did literally nothing wrong at all unless you just get triggered by idols. It sets up the conflict, gimmick and characters really easily complete with dogfighting and missile circuses so I don't know what is "terrible" about it
>>
>>13725082
Get better friends. I don't have that problem.
>>
>>13725070
>>13725072
>>13725080
Some of us have jobs, work with normies and befriend them. learning about each others hobbies and interests at least casually is inevitable, anons.
>>
>>13725102
his friends are probably like this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhbxDPJsqR8
>>
>>13725109
did you saw the dude evading the missiles.. bro...
>>
File: 1385518821562.gif (3 MB, 560x300) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1385518821562.gif
3 MB, 560x300
>>13725085
Like SDF and DYRL?
>>
>>13725082
This may be more of a problem with you and your friends than the show itself then anon. From what I'm reading here is that you have a bunch of low-power friends and considering how you're unironcally using the word weaboo, I can guess you've got some serious issues with wanting to not look like a nerd
>>
>>13725115
I also have hobbies other than anime to share, my friends know I'm into it but I don't waste my time watching it with most of them because I don't feel any need to evangelize that shit
>>
>>13725109
Are you kidding? The characters are all shallow cliches; the pacing is completely nonsensical (as soon as the Var takes over those guys the city is all instantly in flames); the magical girl-esque combat is completely nonsensical, and the CGI is embarrassing. Some of the combat is okay, but the story is dumb and the characters are just shallow pandering.
>>
>The entire thread is about "MUH NORMIES"

Well I think we can all file this thread under "fucking dumb" and move on with our lives
>>
>>13725115
Then why would you want to show them Macross or anime at all in the first place if they are such brain dead normie plebs?
>>
>>13725115
I do all of those things too. The difference is I don't come on 4chan to complain about my hobby not appealing to normies nor do I complain about other anime not pandering to me specifically enough
>>
>>13725125
Minmay never ran into gunfire singing.
>>
>>13725126
> I can guess you've got some serious issues with wanting to not look like a nerd

Hardly. We all work in the tech industry, play Dnd once a week, and regularly attend conventions. Sometimes even in costume.

We just have standards, and not everyone who watches anime goes full otaku.
>>
>>13725131
I think you should stop watching anime. Stuff like Delta is why anime is superior to other mediums. Just stay with LOGH and Gundam.
>>
>>13725134

I mean best case scenario you get them in via Plus or Zero

but really it sounds like he's talking about trying to do the orignal series which is plagued with too much Min mei, 7 which is divisive as fuck and I say that as someone who loves Basra, or Frontier in which the prettiest girl is the lead male protagonist and the less said of mini Klan the better
>>
>>13725142
only thanks to the bridge bunnies

what's wrong with girls having protection
>>
>>13725131
>The characters are all shallow cliches;
Cliches aren't bad. It's how they're used. None of the main characters are even in their necessary plot spaces yet

>the pacing is completely nonsensical (as soon as the Var takes over those guys the city is all instantly in flames)
I'm pretty sure that's just time moving quickly between scenes

>the magical girl-esque combat is completely nonsensical
Throwing drones isn't combat

>and the CGI is embarrassing.
This isn't even the finished episode. It's litterally less than 90% of the episode. At least wait until episode 1 drops to hate the CGI
>>
>>13725142
Basara did, what a fucking badass.
>>
>>13725151
>We just have standards
>play Dnd once a week, and regularly attend conventions. Sometimes even in costume.
>watches chinese cartoons
>>
>>13725154
>I mean best case scenario you get them in via Plus or Zero
I understand Plus but how the fuck would you get someone into Macross with Zero? Also, Plus is so completely different from the rest of the franchise that unless the person was willing to expand their mindset to include a lot more relationship drama and idols than in Plus, I don't know how they could find the rest of it appealing
>>
>>13725142
Because Minmay is a punk ass bitch little girl.
>>
>>13725151
>play Dnd once a week, and regularly attend conventions. Sometimes even in costume.
>we just have standards

Can you just admit you don't want your friends to think you're lame so we can end this pretending that this is any fault of the show and not just you wanting to be cool? Just show them some other fucking show, it's not hard
>>
>>13725172
I swear I've seen Sheryl doing the same expression
>>
>>13725142
You're right, the ship she was singing on just crashed headfirst into the enemy's gigantic, overbearing command ship in what would have been suicidal in any other series and rightfully so. Just because DYRL, Plus and Frontier all ended with the MCs flying directly into bullet hell to shoot the big bad in the face and escape relatively unscathed doesn't mean it isn't stupid.

Though I will admit that those scenes are always the coolest "fuck yeah!" scenes of their respective series.
>>
>>13725156
>lazy, but brilliant pilot MC
>genki, airhead cute girl
>cool, older sister type
This is a recipe for disaster waiting to happen. Not even Frontier was this generic.

>I'm pretty sure that's just time moving quickly between scenes
Maybe, but it still doesn't make much sense. The only suits shown to explicitly be affected by the VAR are those four Zentradi guys (before the unknown units show up), and there was already a taskforce actively monitoring the situation on the planet. As soon as the they detected those wave reactions or whatever, the situation should have been much, much more contained than what was shown. There's a bunch of random gunfire in the background that makes no sense.

>Throwing drones isn't combat
There's simply logical reason for them to be flying around without any sort of real protection. Even 7 makes more since (at least Basara actually pilots shit).

>At least wait until episode 1 drops to hate the CGI
It better be a lot better than this because I don't really have much faith.

>>13725179
Given the circumstances, that's believable. I'm referring to part at the end of the episode where the genki gets up and runs straight towards gunfire. It's just dumb.
>>
>>13725192
>There's simply logical reason for them to be flying around without any sort of real protection.
They have the drones and an entire VF squadron protecting them. What more do you want?
>>
>>13725192
>This is a recipe for disaster waiting to happen. Not even Frontier was this generic.
The first two are literally Alto and Ranka in the first episode and Sheryl was just bitchy idol who was obviously going to be a tsundere. Main character here isn't even a pilot
>>
>>13725192
>There's simply logical reason for them to be flying around without any sort of real protection
What the hell do you think the drones and the fucking Delta squad is for?
>>
>>13725200
Alto wasn't lazy and he was a trained pilot. The MC in delta is a good pilot. At one point he notices that one of the girls has the timing off.

>>13725197
They should actually fly machines like in 7. There's literally no reason to prance around in the middle of combat like magical girls.
>>
>>13725192
have you seen the ghost drones?

>>13725211
and even with that Alto was never the best pilot
>>
>>13725211
>They should actually fly machines like in 7. There's literally no reason to prance around in the middle of combat like magical girls.
Because the Var syndrome doesn't always affect mecha pilots. Having them deploy in VFs all the time wouldn't make sense and they need to be able to respond quickly when the infection starts and it'd be quicker to do that on foot.
>>
>>13725167
>I understand Plus but how the fuck would you get someone into Macross with Zero?

No Idols
Lots of shooting
It's short

>Also, Plus is so completely different

Granted but the idea is more to open the viewer up to anime in general. You need to get your foot in the door and ease them into this shit, and honestly a 30 something episode series from the 1980s that looks like something the cat threw up more than half the time isn't the best way to ease in a neophyte

Plus and Zero meanwhile are much shorter affairs that are largely stand alone and far more digestible
>>
>>13725211
you want them to sing and pilot and fight at the same time? make them ridiculous like Basara

the Walkure team doesn't even attack they only deploy shields and protect people
>>
>>13725134
>>13725140
The point is that when something is truly good it transcends traditional genre and cultural boundaries and everybody can enjoy it. Macross enjoyed that kind of appeal in the past but delta is continuing to steer the franchise deeper into turbo weeb territory.
>>
>>13725211
please just watch AKB
>logic
maybe anime isn't for you though
Gundam is full of absolute bullshit and all those idiots eat it up without questions.
>>
>>13725218
That's my point. Alto isn't a brilliant character or anything, but he never gave off warning bells like this guy does.

>>13725220
Sure, but in this case those affected by the Var were indeed mecha pilots. Yes the drones and stuff obviously provide some protection, but even in the episode it's not adequate as they get attacked by unknown units and trashed very hard.

>>13725230
They don't have to physically fight. Flying around and singing would work just fine.
>>
>>13725225
>No Idols
>Lots of shooting
>It's short
That says a lot about Plus fans and how simple minded they are.
>Granted but the idea is more to open the viewer up to anime in general. You need to get your foot in the door and ease them into this shit, and honestly a 30 something episode series from the 1980s that looks like something the cat threw up more than half the time isn't the best way to ease in a neophyte
As someone who has tried multiple times to get normie friends into anime I can tell you mecha anime is the absolute worst fucking way to go about it. Especially if it's more military centric like Plus. You'd honestly have slightly better success with SDF or Frontier.
>>
>>13725192
>Not even Frontier was this generic.
Character archetypes are just that. Though to be fair, Alto was far and above the most interesting character in the Frontier pilot because we learned early on what motivates him and what his passions are. We know that much about Freyja and maybe Mirage through inference, but we don't know shit about Hayate.

The genki-girl who wants to sing isn't necessarily a generic archetype on its own, but it certainly is for Macross and they need to try harder with Freyja.

>Given the circumstances, that's believable
No, it isn't. There is no logical reason they should have done that, that the Macross could have survived such a ridiculous stunt, and that a single VF flew through corridors and shot the big bad in the face, killing him and somehow causing his entire ship to explode and his army to be routed instantly. And then the Macross survives the exploding warship tens of thousands of times its size. That shit is straight up goofy.

Guld fighting the X-9 to a draw and dying in the process is the most realistic fucking thing Macross has had in decades.
>>
>>13725236
>Yes the drones and stuff obviously provide some protection, but even in the episode it's not adequate as they get attacked by unknown units and trashed very hard.
Of course they got trashed, the space defense line was broken through and they already had their hands full dealing with the rest of the Var infections. Even still they were ready to fight again.
>>
>>13725235
What's with this attitude? So far, Delta doesn't make much sense in universe. Even 7 is pretty internally consistent and well-executed. It's not much too ask.
>>
>getting people into a series
>telling them anything but production order
Only answer.
Every time.
>>
>>13725236
he is good piloting mechs ok but it's another thing to fly a valk
>>
>>13725252
And he's experienced piloting a construction Destroid of all things. That's not going to translate super well to an airborne-centric vehicle.
>>
>>13725244
>Delta doesn't make much sense in universe
...
>>
>>13725244
People have explained it way too many times at this point. How you aren't getting it is beyond us.
>>
>>13725241
But literally everyone falls neatly into a character archetype. I could admittedly be wrong and everyone turns out to have great development, but given what Kawamori has been doing recently, I doubt it.

>There is no logical reason they should have done that
Minmay singing freaked out the Zentradi and caused them to stop fighting. Flying to the command center to end the conflict makes perfect since. In the case of Plus, it was because Isamu wanted to save Myung.

>>13725242
Sure, but why weren't they just in small Valkyries to begin with? There's no reason to be out in open gunfire without constant armor. You're just taking risks for no reason. Remember, this is supposed to be a a specialized taskforce.
>>
>>13725225
>No Idols
>Lots of shooting
>It's short
And this is the problem with people who only like Plus. I like Plus too but those three things aren't what Macross is about
>>
>>13725259
I give him 1 minute before he crashes into someone
>>
>>13725244
>So far, Delta doesn't make much sense in universe
But literally the fact that people are arguing with you about this means that it does make sense. You're the one who thinks this doesn't make sense
>>
>>13725252
Hayate has to be some what broken at piloting a valkyrie in order to give Delta squad a reason to pick him up. Freyja and him are nowhere close enough for her to make personal request for him.
>>
>>13725244
>Even 7 is pretty internally consistent and well-executed.
They transform music into energy beams and the show becomes super robot mixed with Dragonball Z. Delta is hard scifi compared to 7.
>>
>>13725273
I said "internationally consistent" not "realistic."
>>
>>13725263
>But literally everyone falls neatly into a character archetype
There's literally nothing wrong with this. It's not the archetype, it's what you do with it that matters. All the mains in Frontier developed, Hell, even in fucking AKB0048, while they couldn't get to everybody, that entire show is full of stock archetypes that develop as actual characters. We're not watching a high school battle harem LN adaptation here. This seems like a complaint that's worth arguing about at the end of the series
>>
>>13725262
>Sure, but why weren't they just in small Valkyries to begin with?
That literally does not exist in universe so I don't know what the fuck you are talking about.
>There's no reason to be out in open gunfire without constant armor. You're just taking risks for no reason. Remember, this is supposed to be a a specialized taskforce.
The Multi-Drones are shown being faster and safer to defend people with than a giant collateral damaging robot. It's the safer alternative.
>>
>>13725272
nope probably it will have to be with his dancing and ability to synchronize with the singers
>>
>>13725263
>Sure, but why weren't they just in small Valkyries to begin with? There's no reason to be out in open gunfire without constant armor. You're just taking risks for no reason. Remember, this is supposed to be a a specialized taskforce.
Just stop watching anime, you are too autistic for this shit.
>>
>>13725263
>Sure, but why weren't they just in small Valkyries to begin with?
Because we've never seen this ever before?

You know what we have seen before though? Drones
>>
>>13725277
Fuck internally.

>>13725282
I don't know about AKB0048k, but it's a pretty big red flag to me. Kawamori is the same guy who's put out garbage like Nobunaga recently.

>>13725284
>>13725291
Why can't the Valkyries deploy drones?
>>
>>13725237
>That says a lot about Plus fans and how simple minded they are.

Why? Because there's no Kyun Kyun? Yeah you SDF fans are really deep and complex in how you watch a smeg had faff about between two girls for 30odd episodes.
>>
>>13725294
>Why can't the Valkyries deploy drones?
They did at the start of the battle but it's shown they need to be directed in some way. It would be too difficult to control them and fight off any mecha they might encounter and that's why it's perfect for Walkure to use.
>>
>>13725294
Why do you want them in Valkyries? Why wouldn't you just leave that to professionals? Wouldn't that just lead to complaints about "WHY ARE THE CUTE GIRLS FLYING? THIS IS STRIKE WITCHES BULLSHIT"

How would they be able to perform while flying? Are you suggesting they fly, sing, dance and control drones all at the same time? That's fucking dumb. The point of them being there is also to calm down and put on a show for the people like, you know, actual idols
>>
>>13725294
>Why can't the Valkyries deploy drones?
They do though. They are deployed by Valkyries and controlled by the girls. Do you even watch this?

>>13725300
No because Plus, while good, is completely detached from the main Macross series and that's fine for an OVA but that's not what the TV series' are like
>>
File: 34ypnkh.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
34ypnkh.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>13725291
>Because we've never seen this ever before?
What are you talking about? When he said he wanted small Valkyries he clearly meant this.
>>
>>13725303
You know what, you have a point. But the lack of any sort of clear power armor urks me. Maybe the laser lights are magical shields or something, but it's not really shown.
>>
>>13725318
what is pinpoint barrier
>>
>>13725311
Is this going to be the fifth series?

>>13725318
>But the lack of any sort of clear power armor urks me.
I don't know how you'd make power armor look like the stuff idols wear but if you've got an example I'd really like to see it

Also
>Macross
>Power armor
>>
>>13725263
>Minmay singing freaked out the Zentradi and caused them to stop fighting. Flying to the command center to end the conflict makes perfect since. In the case of Plus, it was because Isamu wanted to save Myung.
We know Minmay's singing stopped the actual fighting. That's not what I'm pointing out. I'm pointing out that that suicidal behavior is only rewarded through authorial contrivance. Under no circumstances should the Macross have survived its final run, let alone a single fucking fighter flying to the center of a fuckhuge space fortress through tiny corridors and shooting the bad guy in the face. That shouldn't have made his ship explode, and the Macross itself has been in danger from attacks many times less powerful than being at the center of the enemy's largest space fortress as it fucking explodes.

Same goes for Isamu. The only reason Guld died and Isamu didn't is not because Isamu wanted it more or was more skilled or had a better machine, but only because they thought it would be cool for him to somehow not get shot down by the Macross spamming beams from every orifice.

That goes for Alto's final run on the Vajra Queen too when he's dodging fire from the Queen, any nearby Ghosts, Vajra Carriers, Galaxy Carriers, unmanned VF-27s, and whatever smaller Vajra types came across him.

I'm not saying it's not cool, but it's definitely internally inconsistent and entirely on the protagonists' side to make the fights seem more epic than how one-sided they really are.

I love all those final battles, I really do. I love the music, the animation, the choreography, the dialogue...but every last one of them is Saturday morning cartoon-tier contrivance during their final battles.
>>
>>13725294
>Kawamori is the same guy who's put out garbage like Nobunaga recently.
0/10
he also wasn't the director of it, it was also quite fun but the end was way too rushed
>>
>13725332
>Macross
>Power armor

Plus, Dyrl, SDF and frontier all had power armor.
>>
>>13725335
>it was also quite fun
These Kawamori drones I swear
>>
>>13725335
He's was the main writer.
>>
>>13725339
I meant like on the cute girls
>>
>>13725332
>>Macross
>>Power armor
Frontier did have it but I really can't imagine them singing while wearing these...Then again they might wear a more female version resembling Fei-Yen from Virtual On later on or something. Might be cool.
>>
Frankly if Walkure were piloting recon Valks far away from the battle, or in the rear seat of a VF-31, Mikumo would be less cool, and that's basically unacceptable. She's like the Isamu Dyson of idols - so much so that I really need her catchphrase to be 'thrilling, ne?'
>>
>>13725347
Does power armor on a diseased skank count? sheryl wore the ex gear didn't she?
>>
>>13725342
try harder
>>
>>13724502
Given the blurb of mingling with other races I'm more of the opinion these guys are an uplift that went bad. We know a fleet colonized their world.

We know from Macross Dynamite 7 that the new UN/NUN had integrated the Zolans.

Apparently there is also Chuck's amphibian race too. Windermerians are likely another.

From SK's Forbes interview they are sort of like the Anti-UN. Which is weird given that planets and fleets can govern themselves as the NUN is set up like the EU. Natives may have an axe to grind as the Humans spread their culture to them. MUH CULTURE!
>>
>>13725347
They're actually wearing EX Gear (the suit without the armor) under the hologram. The only one who isn't is presumably Mikumo who was wandering around when the attacks started.

Judging from Reina's transformation, it's like how Brera's cockpit displays him without a helmet or suit, but when he gets hit you can clearly see it when the hologram blinks out for a second.
>>
>>13725372
They do have thrusters when they jump so maybe.
>>
>>13725363
Chuck a best.
>>
File: character_13.png (196 KB, 650x770) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
character_13.png
196 KB, 650x770
>>13725382
He really likes seafood.
>>
>>13725381
those are the skirt cluster rockets that Sheryl used
>>
>>13725381
those were gass jetto clusters
>>
>>13725382
>>13725392
I feel like I'm the only one who likes both Chuck and Delta-04's bright yellow color scheme. I'm also impressed that we have an RVF pilot who actually does something and can fight. Luca didn't fire a single bullet all of Frontier.

Ah well, it's probably easier to pilot the RVF-31 than the RVF-25 in atmosphere because the radome is capable of being folded away.
>>
>>13725424
I haven't seen enough but he seems funny like Andy on Evol
>>
>>13725372
Right, someone post the WebM of Rei-Rei jumping out
>>
>>13725392
The woman on the left may be from the same race as Chuck, although her ears are different.
>>
>>13725464
It is really nice to see different races in Macross again. That was a nice detail that Frontier had that a lot of the previous entries were missing. Like, I think Guld was the only zentradi we saw in Plus.
>>
>>13725464
I'm pretty sure that's an accessory and that he's just a Zentradi.
>>
Has Artdink announced that they're working on a new game yet? I'm looking forward to a new game from them.

I'd love a Macross 30-style game for Vita with a larger, updated valk roster. I'd settle for another Ultimate Frontier style game though.
>>
>>13725485
>idols
I hope you like mobile card games.
>>
>>13725476
Speaking about this, I tried to spot some random Windermerian but I didn't see one. Of course their most recognizable feature being the hair ends that glow makes it a bit tricky, but considering how surprised Hayate was when he found out Freyja was from Windermere I wonder if they mostly keep to themselves and their planet. I hope Kawamori will delve more into Windermere and their culture, and also Ragna which is where Walk├╝re are from.
>>
>>13725476
The only one we actually see, but the series starts off with Isamu and some other guys taking on some rogue Zents.
>>
>>13725493
We've already had two Macross mobile card games so
>>
>>13725464
>Even in the far future, girls still wear frilly shit and show their tits
>>
>>13725493
We got mobile 2 card games, but 3 PSP ones and a PS3 one. 3 PS3 ones if you count the games that came with the Blu-ray (I wouldn't). Don't forget that the mobile games came out waaaaay after the series. The odds are pretty good we'll get a Vita one.
>>
Wait, wait, wait.

Did I see things correctly? Do the girls actually transform into Valkyries?

Cause that's fucking silly and totally out of context in the Macross universe.
>>
>>13725516
>expecting Artdink to make a 6th fucking Macross game
It's not happening. Artdink is too preoccupied sucking Sword Art Online dick. We're probably going to get a shitty [email protected] game instead of another variable fighter based one.
>>
>>13725310

The real problem is that the shield drones exist purely as a flimsy excuse as to why the girls can be on the battlefield without getting immediately blown away, but that is actually the single worst possible use of that technology.

Why don't the destroids have these defensive weapons? Macross cities and colonies frequently have police issue destroids to act as riot control when macronized zentradi are involved, so they could perform the same function.

If you can deploy shield drones that are capable of flying around and making barriers, why are you bothering to use it as a shield in front of the targets when you could instead use it as a barrier around the attacker and lock their shit the fuck down?

Why are the shield drones equipped with holograms for holoconcert bullshit if power supply is a constant issue for them? Doesn't that run down the battery faster?

So on and so forth.

This is a really terrible plan whose only purpose is to "justify" magical girl idols in a setting where nothing works that way. Macross is usually better than this.
>>
>>13725549
>Did I see things correctly? Do the girls actually transform into Valkyries?
You're either legally blind, hallucinating something fierce, or on drugs. Maybe some combination of the three.
>>
>>13725558

Well, kinda the last 2.

I swear the girls started glowing and she transformed into a Valkyrie like they do in Magical Girl anime.
>>
>>13725557
It's cutting edge, brand new tech that isn't distributed elsewhere simply because it's creator doesn't want it getting into the wrong hands. In the meantime, it serves Walkure just fine.

Same as any other prototype, cutting edge tech in other /m/ shows.
>>
>>13725557
>Being this autistic
Fine, why don't Destroids have ECA and PPB? It's been almost a century since their inception and enhanced power generation and miniaturization of select technologies should mean Destroids would be equipped with such technology by this point. But they aren't.

Hell, by that vein, why the FUCK have these Destroids ever been advanced beyond the type-X variants that barely surpass the original in performance. None of that makes sense in-universe. They only exist to be destroyed to make variable fighters seem like the end-all-be-all most powerful things ever. The same way that all carrier ships only exist to be sunk just do you can see how much more superior and amazing Macross-class vessels are in comparison, especially because they do everything the carriers do and more.

It's all the same fucking author contrivance. That's always been the case with Macross, that's never changed.
>>
>>13725506
Girls have been wearing frilly shit and showing their tits for thousands of years, they aren't going to stop.
>>
>>13725506
>It's like biology still works in the future.
>>
>>13725574

Yeah, but thats not how Macross works.

You wouldn't expect the next episode of Iron Blooded Orphans to have the Barbatos raise both arms while Mika screams BREASTO FIRAH and then lasers a battleship out of the sky. Because despite Mazinger Z also being a mecha show, Gundam isn't THAT kind of mecha show.

Macross doesn't do super special prototypes with unique technology no one else has. The closest we ever got to that was Macross Plus, which was literally dealing with the development and testing of competing military contracts, and every one of those designs went on to be mass produced and see service across the galaxy in a matter of years.

Fuck, Macross 7 dealt with custom made song force amplifiers and even that shit got production models, its just that the resulting Jamming Bird project was a failure.

New technological developments in macross get passed around between fleets and enter production very quickly. Just look at frontier, where the fleet got outfitted with new fold scanners in a matter of weeks when the need arose, and the same thing happened again later with MDE weaponry.

Macross doesn't live by Gundam's super prototype rules.
>>
>>13725586
>That's always been the case with Macross, that's never changed.
because it's different with Gundam or anything else
>>
>>13725586
>Fine, why don't Destroids have ECA and PPB?
Destroids have smaller generators compared to VFs so they can't use them. But destroids have naturally strong armor so ECA is moot, PPB would be a waste since Destroids are pretty expendable.
>>
>>13725586
Why would anyone develop Destroids when Valkyries surpassed them long ago?
>>
>>13725604
>The closest we ever got to that was Macross Plus

YF-29 you chongus
>>
>>13725629
>>13725635
Direct your questions to this guy >>13725557
>>
>>13725645
What does his post have to do with anything? Seriously why would anyone develop Destroids. It's an old model that's long been surpassed.
>>
>>13725604
>>13725643
The YF-29 and YF-30 come to mind and to a lesser extent the VF-27, which Galaxy was supposed to make on the books (after getting the YF-24 blueprints) but ended up developing and mass producing it entirely off the record to the point that NUNS and SMS had no idea what it was (in the series at least, no one questions the VF-27's existence in the movies).

We have the same situation with the SV-262 since Delta Squad doesn't recognize them.

I mean, we know that Macross Olympia was supposed to develop the YF-26 from their share of the YF-24 blueprints and ended up can can canceling due to funding, but I wouldn't cry foul about them showing up in the future with a VF-3X that no one knew about simply because no one expected it. ESPECIALLY when Shinsei/LAI developed the YF-29 in secret and the General Galaxy developed the VF-27 in secret as well. This has been happening the last decade in Macross.

Actually, I would enjoy it if Olympia entered into the design-space since the majority of Macross has been a Shinsei (Lockheed) and General Galaxy (Boeing) circlejerk. Let's get some new blood in this shit.
>>
>>13725643
>>13725683
The real question is whether or not the YF-32 will appear mid-series or in the eventual Delta movie?
>>
>>13725727
YF-32 will be in the movie. Delta needs a movie already to fix the pacing problem of the first episode alone. The only way I can justify this ridiculously breakneck pace is if we eventually find out Delta will only have like 12 episodes, which is what I'm assuming will happen at this point.
>>
>>13725758
>Delta needs a movie already to fix the pacing problem of the first episode alone
This is bullshit. We only watched an unfinished episode and you're already bitching about its pacing ruining the entire series. The first half's pacing was fine and it got really fast once the Var outbreak happened.

>The only way I can justify this ridiculously breakneck pace is if we eventually find out Delta will only have like 12 episodes
It obviously won't be with the scale and budget of Macross. Not to mention no Macross tv series was ever shorter than 2 cours, Frontier being the shortest with 25 episodes.
>>
>>13725758
>Delta needs a movie already to fix the pacing problem of the first episode alone

Even on an anonymous board, surely saying something this idiotic must make you feel embarassed
>>
File: 20070330.jpg (628 KB, 2000x1374) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
20070330.jpg
628 KB, 2000x1374
>>13724223
Strange that people keep saying that Zero wasn't Macross, considering it's the only entry Kawamori pretty much wrote on his own with little input.
>>
>>13725758
There's some parts with wonky jumps, but the pace really isn't much different than the first episode of frontier. All they have to do is a longer episode (maybe like 30 minutes or so) with some extra scenes to fill in the gaps.
>>
>>13719597
Are you clinically retarded or what? The action was great, and Macross has always been about fucking idols, so fucking die yourself.
>>
>>13725812
>Macross has always been about fucking idols
Not really. That's a shallow way to look at it.
>>
>>13725822
That's the way OP is looking at it.
>>
>>13725822
>Not really. That's a shallow way to look at it.
Since when has Macross ever been without an idol singer? Every Macross entry has at least one. Even Sarah Nome on Macross Zero is technically one though she doesn't exactly fit the template of a modern idol singer.
>>
>>13725832
Firebomber is more of a rock band than idol.

But my point is that Macross isn't just about idols. It's about the character drama in the midst of sci-fi warfare.
>>
>>13723631
they'll use love triangles to pilot music being played by giant robots
after this they'll close down macross forever because they already did every possible combination
>>
macross was better when it was called space battleship yamato really
and it was shit
>>
>>13725837
>Firebomber is more of a rock band than idol.
Basara is the idol of 7 anon. His singing alone was the only thing that could stop the Protodevlin in the end.
>>
File: 1443216501653.png (104 KB, 316x442) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1443216501653.png
104 KB, 316x442
why the fuck do they still have manned VF's?
>>
>>13725858
Of course Basara is the star, but he's no different than any other popular musician in a big rock band. If you want to call that an idol, that's fine, but it's not the same kind of idol culture that's around Minmay, Ranka, or Sheryl.
>>
>>13725862
You obviously never watched Macross Plus.
>>
>>13723335
Idol trash was the worst thing about Macross and I hate how they obsess over it.
>>
>>13725872
You mean the series that shows that the unmanned machine would wreck 99% of pilots?
>>
>>13725862
>Trusting droids to pilot your fighters
Never trust an AI with something that can be easily done by a human.
>>
>>13725877
You mean that unmanned machine using an extremely dangerous AI with self preservation that was easily hacked by an AI virtual idol.
>>
>>13725877
And showed it's entirely possible for AI to go rogue. There's a reason they keep later Ghost models under a very tight leash where they have to constantly receive permissions from a manned controller and can only be granted full autonomy for brief periods.
>>
>>13725877
>>13725894
You are mixing things. The AI controlled drone only fought Isamu and Guld, and it was a tie.
>>
>>13725898
If media has taught me anything, there are two things you should never let pilot your fighters
Artificial Intelligence
And Women.
>>
>>13725901
>The AI controlled drone only fought Isamu and Guld, and it was a tie.
The Ghost fighter only fought Guld and even he barely beat it if he didn't do that suicide ramming attack. The point is not who it fought but that it was extremely dangerous since it had an advanced AI that was hackable and controlled.
>>
>>13725901
>shitty computer that you can mass produce is as good as a fucking ace pilot
>b-but it got hacked
yeah like those conditions are going to match up again
>>
>>13725758
>>13725727
But I don't think we've ever had seasonal upgrades in Macross outside of new packs,I can't wait to see what the VF-31 and SV-262 packs look like
In the case of upgrades/rival unit appearing in the vein of Brera's VF-27 I just hope we get another trapezoid wing VF
>tfw I was alone in my love for the YF-30
>>
>>13725939
Fuck unmanned fighters, dogfighting is a man's sport, and I'll be damned if I let some shitty chink computer steal that from me.
>>
>>13725780
>>13725800
>36 to 52 to 25
Bullshit. Shows very rarely go over 24+ episodes nowadays if they aren't some sort of adaptation and shows that are between 30 and 50 episodes are even rarer.

No other Macross series had a first episode this disjointed without any kind of helpful explanation for its tech whatsoever. At least with Frontier and 7 you could skip through the episode and find fighting/music/character shit in equal amounts. I'd argue that only the first episode of SDF is so disjointed with Macross' themes.

Delta can be cleanly cut into 8 mins character shit and introduction of the triangle, 8 mins of idol singing and fighting, 8 mins of variable fighter dogfighting and it introduces way more characters than the others do.

It's way faster paced than pilots of the other TV series, and its pacing more resembles something we would see for the introduction of a relatively short series instead of a way longer series.
>>
File: 92192942.png (865 KB, 936x706) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
92192942.png
865 KB, 936x706
>>13725941
I like the 30 just fine.

The Dual Ghost Booster IS the SV-262's Fast Pack, I'd assume.

Pic-related is the RVF-31's pack. It resembles the VF-11's and is really blocky and ugly. I hope it's more form fitting in the future like the VF-25. I don't think the VF-31 could keep those packs in Battroid anyway because of the way their wings fold. So hopefully that's not the actual FAST Pack and just a temporary model or something or just a one time thing.
>>
>>13725810
There's definitely quite a few wonky jumps. In Frontier, we at least have Ghosts and VF-171s getting wrecked throughout the entire episode set to the background of Sheryl's concept, followed by the Vajra's attack on Island-1, where the episode ends with more disaster and combat. To me at least, it feels a bit neater since we got good action interspersed with character development and of course music.

I don't have a problem with Delta thematically, just that the 3 pillars of Macross are separated by extremely poignant pauses to the point where it almost feels like 3 different shows instead of one unified one.

I'd have to think more about how they can do it better and I don't think its a total mess, but there are definitely some problems. I doubt they'll really change the position of scenes too much and Kawamori said a whole 4 minutes is missing from Mission 0.89 in addition to what is already unfinished in the episode, so who knows, maybe they'll edit it better in April. I'm looking forward to it either way.
>>
>>13725981
Sorta like this.
>>
>>13725961
>Shows very rarely go over 24+ episodes nowadays if they aren't some sort of adaptation
Or you know, shows that are part of a big franchise.

> No other Macross series had a first episode this disjointed without any kind of helpful explanation for its tech whatsoever

So you are complaining about the pacing but you wanted exposition on how tech worked before we ever got to see the tech? Show > Tell

> Delta can be cleanly cut into 8 mins character shit and introduction of the triangle, 8 mins of idol singing and fighting, 8 mins of variable fighter dogfighting and it introduces way more characters than the others do.

None of this is a problem, especially the introduction of the characters since they are just shown to us and can be given any kind of developement later. All characters were introduced in groups as a way to introduce the big conflict that is taking place and show the diferent sides.
>>
>>13725981
I didn't realize that was a new pack,I assumed they slapped 2 vf-25 packs on there like the YF-19A, I hope it's temporary
>>
>>13725961
>Shows very rarely go over 24+ episodes nowadays
Have you been living under a rock? There are several anime each year that get 2 cours/24 episodes to this day even without a huge budget. Every Macross tv series has always ran at least 2 seasons long and only a newfag would consider being less.

>At least with Frontier and 7 you could skip through the episode and find fighting/music/character shit in equal amounts.
Bullshit. The first 10+ minutes of Frontier didn't even have any combat or music. Combat only began when Sheryl's concert started which was halfway through the first episode in the BD. It was just pretty much like Delta with several of character introductions at the beginning. And your comparing an unfinished first episode to Frontier's complete episode that about 10 minutes longer.

>It's way faster paced than pilots of the other TV series
The pacing was very fast only in the second half of the episode when the conflict started. The first half was completely and you're just exaggerating it. And just because you perceive it as "extremely fast paced" doesn't hold weight that the entire series is just a single cour long.
>>
>>13726076
>Or you know, shows that are part of a big franchise.
And yet Frontier got less episodes than 7. And no, its not just because they wanted to be "cute" by keeping the "25" stylings.

>So you are complaining about the pacing but you wanted exposition on how tech worked before we ever got to see the tech? Show > Tell
I'm not complaining about getting a tech exposition, I'm complaining about the lack of Showing OR Telling. Nothing shows that they're hologram emitters. The show practically winks and nods at Macross veterans like us but that's a terrible introduction for people who are first watching and for the wider audience they are trying to appeal to. Like some guy pointed out earlier: We never get an exposition dump on the fact that Brera wears a normal flightsuit and helmet and that his cockpit setup is strictly a hologram, we are SHOWN this by having it flicker and blink and revealing it when he's hit.

For those of us not entirely familiar with Macross technology, Walkure's transformations literally make this look like a magical girl show. They don't show OR tell us anything. The show is depending on us being former Macross viewers to understand this and if we're not Macross viewers, it depends entirely on the viewer LIKING magical girl stuff.

You don't risk your neck in that manner on a fucking pilot episode.

>None of this is a problem, especially the introduction of the characters since they are just shown to us and can be given any kind of developement later. All characters were introduced in groups as a way to introduce the big conflict that is taking place and show the diferent sides.
Yeah, because Sunrise shows that introduce 15 characters in the first episode are soooooo great at characterization. I'm not saying that they need to be fleshed out entirely in the first episode, but no other Macross pilot has kept all its elements so separate and it feels extremely disjointed because of it. That is a problem for a pilot specifically.
>>
>>13726240
Literally 89% of the first episode. Calm your autism.
>>
>>13725683
>Macross Olympia
You do realize VF Master File isn't considered canon at all right?
>>
>>13726240

> And yet Frontier got less than 7

They probably realized that 7 was just way more stretched out than it needed to be and that there was no need for them to buy that many episodes.

> Nothing shows they're hologram emitters

Yet. The show is almost certainly going to go in to just what's happening on some level in the future, and that may include in the final episode itself since all it needs is as you say some small animation nods if they want to do it that way.

> You don't risk your neck in that manner on a fucking pilot episode

It's not a risk if magical girl shows are actually quite well liked. Which they are. In Japan. Where it counts. Just because you, a Western don't share that opinion doesn't actually mean anything.
>>
>>13725604
guns are different from valks the vf-25 was a prototype only used by the SMS all the show
>>
>>13724904
Hair clip or implant? What if Hayate is a Macross Galaxy refugee? It would explain why he is wandering.

Your home colony fleet tried to enslave the entire galaxy.

If people found out they won't like you.

Trying different things to do could be trying to create his own identity.
>>
>>13719661
Literally a preview episode. The animations are unfinished, and will look better in the final version.
>>
>>13726356

Don't bother - it's almost certainly the same anon constantly harping on about how anything with CG is PS1/N64 tier in terms of graphics and acting like screenshots of games from that era are indistinguishable regardless of evidence to the contrary.
>>
>>13726260
>VF-25's stats aren't canon
Yeah, keep dreaming.
>>
>>13726268
>They probably realized that 7 was just way more stretched out than it needed to be and that there was no need for them to buy that many episodes.
That I can agree with. Frontier was a little rushed in their ending, but that's a pacing problem with Frontier itself, not with the episode count.

>Yet. The show is almost certainly going to go in to just what's happening on some level in the future, and that may include in the final episode itself since all it needs is as you say some small animation nods if they want to do it that way.
Yes, but that's something you generally want in the first episode. I'd like to believe everyone follows the three episode rule, but not everyone does and if someone decided they don't think Delta is for them thanks to this first episode alone, I wouldn't blame them.

>It's not a risk if magical girl shows are actually quite well liked. Which they are. In Japan. Where it counts. Just because you, a Western don't share that opinion doesn't actually mean anything.
I definitely agree with that because that's undeniably true, but what's also undeniably true is that Delta is pandering to that specific crowd. Delta is hinging on the fact that there is either overlap in their new audience or their old audience. You can say that magical girls are quite popular in Japan, they are. I myself have no problem with magical girls despite your assumption that I seem to hate them or something. But it's too big of an assumption to assume that every person watching Macross is both into magical girls and variable fighters, even if the existing fanbase is. That's what happens when you try to spread your target demographic so far.
>>
>>13725263
>Sure, but why weren't they just in small Valkyries to begin with? There's no reason to be out in open gunfire without constant armor.
You mean like EX-Gear?

Oh right, you don't even know what EX-Gear is because your only exposure to Macross is watching Plus and Robotech.
>>
>>13725604
>Yeah, but thats not how Macross works.
>Macross doesn't live by Gundam's super prototype rules.
What the fuck are you talking about.
What in the holy mother of FUCK are you talking about.

>every one of those designs went on to be mass produced and see service across the galaxy in a matter of years.
>New technological developments in macross get passed around between fleets and enter production very quickly.
Which is why the Frontier fleet was using the VF-19.
Oh wait, they weren't, because the NUN is afraid of giving colony fleets and worlds the latest cutting-edge technology in case they rebel against Earth and Eden.
That's why they give them shit like the VF-171 instead and an unfinished version of the YF-24, a plane that literally fucking killed anyone who tried to fly it. That's why most colonies are still using old Destroids and shit to fill the gaps.
Colony fleets and worlds almost NEVER got VF-19s or VF-22s except in very special circumstances. Why the fuck would they have VF-31s and bleeding-edge Multi-Drones?

Do you even fucking watch Macross
>>
>>13727596
They got Monkey Models of the VF-19 but they've had to develop it on their own.

Macross 7 fleet had the VF-19S and VF-19F, Zola had the VF-19P, Macross Frontier had the VF-19EF, Macross Galaxy had the VF-19C/MG21. All based on the VF-19E monkey model plan Earth gave.

Earth has a better ISC design than the one they gave to fleets and colonies.

The VF-19Advance upgrade of the VF-19A which is for Earth beat the VF-25 is mock battle. Which could mean the VF-19 on Earth and nearby colonies are equal to the VF-25 in performance.

Macross 7 fleet according to Macross the Ride has Project Fire Plan a project in competition with the YF-24 Plan using the VF-19.
>>
File: VF-17 teal.jpg (95 KB, 987x737) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
VF-17 teal.jpg
95 KB, 987x737
>>13727596
Not all adopted the VF-171. Macross 7 Fleet switch to the VF-17 to replace the VF-11.

Apparently this version is also being sold by black market Loschier Company near Zola at the Rim.
>>
>>13724010
You could say the same thing about the crew of the Bebop, but less triangular. If the dog counts, it's pentagonal.
>>
>>13725269
Don't worry, I hear piloting a GERWALK is super easy!
>>
>>13725941
>But I don't think we've ever had seasonal upgrades in Macross outside of new packs
SDF did.

Hikaru upgraded to a better VF-1 spec.
>>
>>13727973
Yeah, but no one upgrades to a completely different variable fighter midseries. The closest we've gotten is Alto going from VF-25 to YF-29 mid movie.
>>
Macross was serious!
Don't laugh!

Just rewatched this, what a great movie, if a bit too light on the dogfights
>>
>>13728051
That final dogfight between Alto and Brera was great though. Really captured the essence of variable fighters even if it is a little short. I always show people I know might be interested in Macross that scene.
>>
>>13728115
Wish there was a webm or something
>>
>>13728131
Someone always posts some but I never save them because I always just go watch my favorite scenes from that episode/movie again.
>>
So I just watched it and I haven't had an incident in a while where I was checking the time so an episode can end. 1/3 of the ground fights looked nice, but the fights in the sky I liked. I'll have to see later whether or not I like the characters, because I don't have much to go off of right now. The music in Macross has always been based around what is popular at the time, but for some reason the music they used now seemed way more shit to me. I liked Idolmaster and Love Live, but this bothers me
>>
>>13729064
Well, it's missing Yoko Kanno, who was Frontier's composer so that's probably it. Ikenai Borderline was the best song, but not by much and mostly because its unconventional sounding for a Macross song.
>>
>>13729178
Yoko Kanno was only the main composer for Plus and Frontier. She did not compose for every series.
>>
>>13729924
Yes, but you can certainly tell the difference between Plus and Frontier and Delta's music so far. The songs just feel more...alive, I dunno.
Thread replies: 343
Thread images: 36
Thread DB ID: 387522



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.