[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay, so,...by Robotech canon everything runs on Protoculture,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: Robotech-the-shadow-chronicles.jpg (199KB, 400x557px) Image search: [Google]
Robotech-the-shadow-chronicles.jpg
199KB, 400x557px
Okay, so,...by Robotech canon everything runs on Protoculture, which is this space flower that can generate shit-tons of energy for long periods of time. The only real way to keep this Protoculture going indefinitely is with the Protoculture Matrix (which requires pure breeds of the flower itself,...and they're pretty much extinct), and the only one in existence was hidden in the SDF-1 without anybody knowing (even the humans who dug it up after it had crashed on Earth) and ultimately destroyed before anybody could use it or replicate it, and the secret died with its creator.

In Shadow Chronicles, suddenly humans have made their own matrix apparently, and its just the one, which so happens to be the only source of Protoculture for their fleet and for Earth. It also happens to be housed in the SDF-3, which is apart of the main space fleet.

So I ask: How the fuck did they ever figure out how to make this thing if they never seen or analyzed the original tech? I mean, the SDF-3 is apart of the expeditionary force that was sent into deep space to fight off the Robotech Masters, so considering by Shadow Chronicles, they had constructed their Matrix while being stranded out there, where there are no traces of the flowers they need (they mostly grow on Earth) and any records of the original Matrix's construction are so goddamn lost that not even the Masters could fully figure out where to start making one of their own so their planet wouldn't die. And why would you store such a import resource on a BATTLESHIP?! Did it ever occur to anyone that stuffing this thing on one of your biggest warmachines in your one-and-only space fleet could raise the risk of loosing it somehow?....Which actually ends up happening?

Did this ever get explained somewhere at all?
>>
>>13715246
Better than Delta.
>>
>>13715257
I didn't like the preview ep either but lets not say shit we can't take back.
>>
>>13715246
What happens when you let an LA art gallery manager in the 80s write sci-fi.

the scripts were probably more cocaine than paper.
>>
>>13715246
This is what happens when a real estate company mashes up three different shows.
>>
>>13715283
Carl Macek actually had very little to do with this. Its mostly the brain child of Tommy Yune, who feels like this is his greatest masterpiece to date that all Robotech stories need to follow. Considering Macek had all sorts of creative disagreements with Yune on just about everything up to his death, I wouldn't be surprised if they just slapped his name on it just so they can say "Hey guys the original Robotech guy is back, come see the return of Star Wars!"

But Robotech Love Live Alive, though, THAT was his vision....according to Tommy Yune, that is.

Also that Robotech Academy Kickstarter they made, that was his too.....also according to Tommy Yune.
>>
>>13715246
See, this is what happens when you sell the distribution rights for your passion project to an amoral kabushiki gaisha, who then turns around and sells the overseas rights to first slack-jawed roundeye to step off the boat.
>>
>>13715333
Tommy Yune did not devise the "two protoculture matrices" plot point, you can see that since it was in the novels.
>>
>>13715337
Tommy says the books are not canon, so I guess he technically did now.

Seriously, though, I've never read the books. I'm only going on the animated series. I'm really lost here.
>>
>protoculture is an energy source

I didnt realize robotech literally cucked the entire theme of SDF out of existence. Just makes it a worse Yamato, or starblazers for you auts
>>
>>13715246
The second matrix was designed by Doctor Lang and that geek with the sunglasses from Southern Cross. Lang got exposed to raw protoculture, triggering a Zor-like transformation in him, while the other guy got exposed to Hadron technology, becoming a kind of Shadow cyborg. Together, they were able to make their own protoculture matrix that wouldn't be a huge beacon to the Invid because it incorporates Shadow tech.
>>
File: cannot_compute_this203..png (427KB, 402x527px) Image search: [Google]
cannot_compute_this203..png
427KB, 402x527px
>>13715615
>Lang got exposed to raw protoculture, triggering a Zor-like transformation in him

Whats-HUH? So Protoculture is pretty much magic now? Why Zor? I know he's the one that discovered the flowers and invented protoculture but why is he resonating with his interstellar gasoline? Plus, raw protoculture? What's that even doing all the way out there in deep space and not near Earth where the original matrix and all of its flowery pureness is supposed to be, hence why the Invid warp-sped there to consume it in the first place? I thought you needed the actual flowers for that sort of thing.

>geek with the sunglasses from Southern Cross
>got exposed to Hadron technology, becoming a kind of Shadow cyborg. Together, they were able to make their own protoculture matrix that wouldn't be a huge beacon to the Invid because it incorporates Shadow tech.

Wait, Louie? And...I'm assuming you mean Haydonite technology? I guess that explains why this guy is so hyped up on these aliens and Janice, but...how does Haydon tech teach him about Protoculture? I thought Haydonites are devoted to wiping protoculture out of existence. What does their technology even have a need or understanding for it? Also, do the Haydonites even know about this? If so, why would they hand over something that they hate so much, especially since it is giving everyone unlimited doses of the fuel source?

And why is none of this in the movie? Better yet, where is this coming from? Even if it doesn't make any lick of sense, this is some pretty need-to-know info, because everything just 'happens in Shadow Chronicles and you're just expected to go with it without any clarification whatsoever.
>>
>>13715615
Nope. It was made by Rem and Cabell. Rem is a clone of Zor and apparently had limited access to Zor's memories after eating some Flower of Life leaves. Cabell was a Robotech Master that rebelled from the rest and was left behind on Tirol when the rest left to chase down the original Matrix.

>>13715365
Actually the books are canon until contradicted by animated material, then the animated material takes precedence.
>>
>>13715246
You just have to remember that the SDF-1 was loaded with every invention that Zor came up with. The short version is this:
-Zor lands on Optera (Invid homeworld) and studies this plant
-Zor invents a godzillion things you can do with this plant
-Zor sends a report and some of his inventions ahead to the Masters
-The Masters order Zor to bring ALL of his inventions to them, so he loads every experiment on a single ship
-The Masters decide that in order to hog this tech they have to be the sole proprietors of this plant
-Optera is defoliated, Invid are pissed
-Zor is also pissed and sends the SDF-1 which he had loaded all of his experiments on to a random little blue dot
-The Masters feel stupid when they realize that the plant won't grow on Tyrol or anywhere else but the planet they perma-defoliated.

Everything the Masters had, and a lot of things they didn't, was already on the SDF-1, including an intelligence-boosting drug that Dr Lang took when no one was looking which is why he understood all of this shit. So the humans actually had a really big head start over the Masters when it comes to replicating Zor's tech. Also those yellow flowers growing in the desert that Hikaru/Rick found during the reconstruction arc were supposed to be protoculture, so by the time the SDF-3 launched there were plenty of plants for new protoculture seeds to be harvested from (enough to draw the Invid to earth even after the REF harvested enough to take into space with them).
>>
>>13715566
Nah, it just changed the names around. The Protocultures are now called The Masters, and a new plant powersource is called protoculture. The theme of SDF is still there, the one that got radically rewritten was Southern Cross. SDFM just got a G-Rated dub with a narrator, all the character dialogue is still there except for censorship needed to pass Bureau of Standards And Practices from 1985 (no mention of hangovers, going to the bathroom, suicide, etc)
>>
>>13715985
>The Protocultures are now called The Masters
I find The Robotech Masters pale in comparison to the actual Protoculture race in Macross. The Protoculture in Macross was a galaxy spanning civilization that lasted for many eons and seeded just about every known humanoid race. The Robotech Masters just didn't have that level of awe, enigma, and level of tech.
>>
>>13716004
This is true, but it's not actually in SDFM to start with. The dub version of the show isn't very far from the original, it's only when comparing the expanded universes of the two versions that they become greatly different.
Although the Masters actually were a galaxy-spanning civilization that lasted for many eons and enthralled just about every known humanoid race by making them dependent on their tech. The Masters power base did not come from protoculture, they've been around for millenia before that. It's just that protoculture is the Masters' only hope of defeating/surviving the rampaging Invid who've pretty much obliterated the Masters' power base.
>>
>Americans had to watch all these "localized" versions becasue the contents were to hot for TV.
>They never got something like Mazinger Z in uncut form
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.