[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

just started watching Gundam or more specifically the early UC

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

File: bestboy.jpg (413KB, 740x1133px) Image search: [Google]
bestboy.jpg
413KB, 740x1133px
just started watching Gundam or more specifically the early UC gundam but had one question that bugs me. What amount of control do pilots have over the mobile suits? They constantly mention the computer handling operations but some of the action seems ridiculous. For example do they just have one switch that signals it to pick up a rifle
>>
Listen to the dialogue.. it's explained that the machines do a lot of things automatically (like pick up a rifle) with a laser guider.
So a lot of the actions are "point and click"
>>
>>13713871
but does that still apply with weapons like beam sabers? like one combination of buttons is an upward swing while another would be a side swing
>>
>>13713913
ssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh
>>
>>13713913
It seems you push a button to draw the saber, use the laser assist to target, and the hand controls to swing
>>
From what we see inside the cockpit, the legs are pedal controlled, as are the thrusters
the arms are lever controlled
Anything else has a button
>>
>>13713913
You press the gas peddales fling your arms forward and yell YAAAAAAAH!!
>>
File: whatdidhemeanbythis.jpg (171KB, 1487x1021px) Image search: [Google]
whatdidhemeanbythis.jpg
171KB, 1487x1021px
>>13714085
That's how Kamille would do it
>>
>>13714094
Does amuro ever stop being a bitch 25 episodes in and he still flips out the second he doesn't one shot a mook
>he's gonna get me NOOOOOOO
thought he would be a bit more battle hardened by now
>>
>>13714106
He grows up... episode 29 onward he's less of a child
>>
Might as well quit while you're ahead, OP. Gundam 0079 fucking sucks
>>
>>13714106
Lol dude even veteran soldiers freak out when they're being attacked. Amuro is still a child, fighting in a war he never wanted anything to do with. Of course he's going to freak out.
>>
File: 423289868.jpg (56KB, 601x403px) Image search: [Google]
423289868.jpg
56KB, 601x403px
>>13714117
>>
>>13714119
Zeek pilots never seem to freak out until they are blowing up
>>
>>13714121
Why is Bright so fucking based
>>
Mobile suits are supposed to be largely computer controlled (there's a manual for the Gelgoog which straight up says that because of computer assistance even an untrained child can move a mobile suit). Then you remember that time the Ez8 pulled its own arm off and you have to wonder who programmed it to do that.

I've always felt the computer control aspect was always a little at odds with the emphasis on pilot skill in UC.
>>
>>13714241
That's the kind of shit I'm thinking of, or who was the fuck who programmed the gundam to do a combat roll
>>
>>13714302
While I can sort of imagine there being a 'throw' button in the cockpit of a mobile suit, some of Full Frontal saber flourishes are like ... did Angelo stay up all night reprogramming the Sinanju to make Frontal look cooler?

In practice a mobile suit moves according to the will of its pilot, because they're just big symbols representing the pilot's skill, resolve and beliefs. That's a writing thing as opposed to a technical thing, admittedly.
>>
>>13714302
I think the mechs have a manual mode
>>
>>13714350
I just can't decide of it heightens or cheapens the skills of the pilots if their skill is based on the preciseness of pushing buttons in a certain combination or by 1:1 control of the machine
>>
>>13714085
>You press the gas peddales fling your arms forward and yell YAAAAAAAH!!

>>13714094
>That's how Kamille would do it

No, actually that's Judo's technique.
>>
F91 already explained this. Seabook manually reaches for his beam rifle stowed on a wall, but fumbles it, and he gets yelled at just to use the automatic option instead.

They have manual control which lets them flourish, roll, tear their own limbs off and whatever else, but it means they lose movement reliability and is usually only used by better pilots. They also have automatic options for many standard movements and controls, and this is why getting superior movement data from the Gundam helped the GM's out so much.

This is why mooks just slowly trot about, turning their body and firing while standing at targets, but resident Gundam pilot of the day does a backflip and shoots behind their head.
>>
>>13713800
I think SEED (i know) showed this pretty well. The Strike was so new that there were no programmed macros for simple movements that only coordinators could use mobile suits. Then when the Daggers and Astrays are given new OS with programmed controls, naturals could go toe to toe in MS combat with the cordies.
>>
>>13714134
I see you forget how Gene was pissing himself after Amuro pulled his Zaku's face off.
To say nothing for the Gouf pilot who scampered out of his suit, spared only because Amuro's beam saber ran out of juice.
>>
>>13714788
But look at all of Ramba's men, and everyone who accompanies m'quve. They never flinch
>>
Does anybody notice that there is a point in amuro's piloting career where he actually enjoys killing people?
From the assault on jaburo onwards, he gets a mecha-boner every time he kills a zeek.

Am I reading too much into it? Or is amuro kind of a fucking sociopath?
>>
>>13714830
i think he's more of a glory hound that anything. H wants to be the hero of the war, that's why he is such a pussy anytime someone else wants to pilot the gundam. As well as being so butthurt that cam cam becomes tje hero in zeta
>>
>>13714895
True.
Very very true
>>
>>13714895
Wasn't it Beltorchika that was upset Amuro wasn't the hero? Amuro still had ptsd and had reservations about fighting again.
>>
>>13714161
Because he commands Whitebase?
>>
>>13713800
there are macros, those are used in most robot anime. its a big deal whenever a pilots pilots "manually" but usuually only pros liek char or amuro can do that. most grunts use the macros. also feddie grunts got a upgrade when they copied amuros pilot data off his gundam and installed them into every GM. one gundam story takes it further and had amuros personality copied into a ai and that AI fucking wrecked shit.
>>
>>13715096
In G gundam, all robos were manual, and we're controlled similar to the mecha in Pacific rim
>>
>>13714816
They are also the biggest badasses of that time
>>
>>13714161
He was young and had to deal with a bunch of whiny kids, turning them and himself into hardened combat vets. The lessons stuck well.
>>
File: Tri-Stars.jpg (689KB, 1134x794px) Image search: [Google]
Tri-Stars.jpg
689KB, 1134x794px
>>13713800
Are you enjoying it, at least?
What's an MS you like, if any?
>>
Everything the plot demands
>>
>>13715096
>most pilots use the same macros
guess that explains recycled footage
>>
There's manual controls if you want to get fancy but most things are done by macros or by the computer. A lot of mech series run on that logic.
>>
File: 1447604473814.png (220KB, 704x480px) Image search: [Google]
1447604473814.png
220KB, 704x480px
>>13713913
Bear with me, it's been a long while since I've see 0079.

Basically, as anons pointed out, it's a mixture of laser guiding, manual operations, computer-oriented stuff, and "macros", which basically are pre-programmed actions that are used in conjuction with a pilot's actions. The data from this is typically kept and archived in Learning Computers, which is why people using Amuro's after the One Year War started wrecking the shit out of people.

You need both a competent pilot and a well-made machine with well-defined data and macros, and if there's an inbalance, time can even it out (as long as they survive).

Also keep in mind that most mobile suits aren't as sensitive to manual inputs as Gundams, which is why Gundams are almost always quicker at response times, and allow the pilots to evade normally fatal attacks.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.