[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Getter Robo Armageddon a good place to start for newfags?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: black_getter_by_unded-d8469qp.jpg (174KB, 1024x724px) Image search: [Google]
black_getter_by_unded-d8469qp.jpg
174KB, 1024x724px
Is Getter Robo Armageddon a good place to start for newfags?
>>
>>13708493
I think New Getter is better anime, but yeah go for it
Better off reading the comics though
>>
yes it's not connected to anything other than some references to the comic
now fuck off before he arrives
>>
>>13708493
If you really don't want to read the manga first then yeah. You'll miss all of the references and the characters won't make all that much sense as they assume you know their general outline but it will be a fun ride anyway
>>
>>13708505
You mean greg?
>>
/m/, where does this song come from? It's on the "New Getter Robo Vocal Collection" album, but I don't remember hearing it in the show. Is it just an extra track?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvCPWbeA8oI
>>
>>13708528
Made enough sense to me when I watched it before reading the manga, besides the whole thing with Saotome's "son"
>>
>>13708539
Just an extra track made for the series. The show had AMVs with these vocal tracks as bonus features on the DVDs.

>>13708493
You won't have a clue what's going on for the first three episodes but if you like Imagawa shows you'll enjoy those three episodes. After that the show is alright until the last three episodes. Not bad, just kind of bland and stretched out until Black Getter appears. The last arc is fantastic. Gives you a good feel of what to expect thematically from the Getter franchise.
>>
>>13708493
No. Great anime, but will be confusing as hell. It was the first Getter Robo I watched, and I had no idea what was going on (Granted that was because ADV put the wrong damn episode on the first DVD. Still hard to jump into though)
>>
>>13708493
It's alright. Definitely my favorite of the ovas, but you might get more out of it by reading the manga first.
>>
>>13708493
My personal recommendation is New Getter and then Armageddon. It's what I did, at any rate. You just have to realize they're AUs to each other and not the same people (and New Benkei is a mashup of two characters from prior series).

New is a fairly recent, fairly easy introduction to what Getter is as a concept and its main characters. Armageddon is much more enjoyable if you at least have a feel for who the original Getter Team are and who Saotome is.
>>
>>13708500
>>13708630
Isn't New Getter too edgy for new viewers? I mean, I know Getter was always kind of edgy compared to other super robot manga/anime at the time, but it was still goofy enough to fit in with that crowd. More in common with Devilman than Mazinger Z. But with New Getter, it's uncharacteristically violent, and the characters are a lot more intense than their manga counterparts; like it's trying to be as energetic as Go and as dark as Armageddon at the same time. It's a pretty good series, but it's not a great place to start.
Also, Benkei may have always been a knockoff Musashi, but New Benkei is like a Poundland version of Getter G Benkei. And New Getter is worse than the original in every way but at least she isn't Arc
>>
>>13708630
It's a lot more complex than that.
Benkei's called Benkei (Musashibou, to boot), has Musashi's role in the story, one scene where he's basically Gai and he looks like Baku. There might be some of that Kyomu Senki twintails guy in him for all we know as well.
>>
>>13709105
Oops, meant to quote >>13709454

Anyway yeah New Getter is not really bad to start with, it's a fun mecha show and you don't need to read stuff like Ishikawa's samurai manga to understand the time travel arc, they're just there to have the fans go "wow neat".
>>
Not OP but I was just about to start too. Now i consider reading the manga aswell.

So is this it?
http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/getter-robo-r4842

theres a whole bunch of Getter Robo manga, it's a bit confusing.
>>
>>13708493
It's a very messed up show but at least you will be entertained.
>>
File: Fuck_dinosaurs.png (120KB, 372x372px) Image search: [Google]
Fuck_dinosaurs.png
120KB, 372x372px
>>13712280
Just download them here
getterrobo.blogspot co.uk/
>>
>>13708555
Did you play SRW or something first though? There's no way it would make any sense to someone 100% new to Getter, and it isn't supposed to for that matter either.
>>
>>13708493
As far as the Getter OVAs go? It doesn't really matter. You'll be 80% lost if you haven't read at least the original manga no matter what Getter OVA you watch.
>>
>>13712316
All the romantic stuff between Kei and Go can be easily dismissed as the typical token 90s OVA dose of "pretentious." Actually, I've since read the manga and that's the only thing I didn't "get." Everything else is pretty easy to understand.
>>
>>13712280
The reading order is:

Getter Robo
Getter Robo G
Getter Robo Go
Shin Getter Robo
Getter Robo Arc

and that encompasses the main Getter Robo story.
>>
>>13712430
There's also the doujin anthology. Haven't read it yet, but it's translated and is supposedly well-recieved.
>>
File: img000022.png (576KB, 1012x1483px) Image search: [Google]
img000022.png
576KB, 1012x1483px
>>13712308
>>13712430
Thanks both of you!

I just started with Getter Robo vol 01. Guess i'll read it then watch the anime in order afterwards.

Everyone looks like a villain so far. I like it.
>>
>>13712459
Everyone IS a villain
>>
File: screenshot.7.png (80KB, 779x536px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.7.png
80KB, 779x536px
>>13712478
Im scared now.
>>
File: Moe Nagare.png (48KB, 288x302px) Image search: [Google]
Moe Nagare.png
48KB, 288x302px
>>13712487
>>
File: screenshot.8.png (20KB, 169x373px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.8.png
20KB, 169x373px
>>13712497
>>
>>13712393
This post is making my head spin. How is some lighthearted romance "pretentious", and how does one not "get" it?
>>
>>13712615
>lighthearted
What? Anyway, the whole thing was just glowing lights and sexual imagery. The scene inside Shin Dragon, where Kei and Go are naked? That was kind of pretentious. They had the whole star-crossed lovers thing.
>>
>>13712712
Never mind me, I forgot the conversation and thought you were talking about the manga for some reason. Guess that's what I get for not sleeping in twenty-four hours
>>
>>13712724
Their manga romance was cute, I wish she didn't die so quickly, or maybe have her show up before Ishikawa decided on having Sho end up with Schwartz.
>>
>>13708493
No, fuck off, all Getter fags should die.
>>
>>13712736
>posting major spoilers in a rec thread
Kill yourself
>>
>>13712764
>posting in a rec thread
Kill yourself.
>>
>>13712497
Jeez, I know Ryoma's a pretty crazy guy, but did they have to make him so depraved and perverted?
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.