[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you prefer physical windows on your space ships or screens

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: sdf1.jpg (319KB, 1152x647px) Image search: [Google]
sdf1.jpg
319KB, 1152x647px
Do you prefer physical windows on your space ships or screens that pipe video back that simulate a window?
>>
screens, but I'm a no fun realism-fag that knows what radiation is.
>>
>>13706573
Both.
>>
>>13706639
I kind of like when you think they're windows the entire time, then power goes out and it's a screen
>>
>>13706639
As a feloow no fun realism fag, I don't see radiation as the main reason for not having windows. The bigger issue is that a window represents giant hole in the side of your ship. And having a window for your control room means putting your control room right up against that hole.
>>
>>13706639
> I'm a no fun realism-fag

Not as much as I am. People that want screens are dumbasses trying to waste precious power and people that want windows are romantic dipshits that don't understand what a "structual weakness" is and should be gassed accordingly.

Unless they're on the bridge, my crew better get used to nondescript grey walls. Efficiency>All
>>
>>13706789
>Takes Precious Power
>On a giant ship that can travel into space

You are really stretching here
>>
>>13706773
well there's plenty of magical "superstrong" clear materials like transparent aluminum and what not that can hand wave the window as bing just nother piece of hull plating that just happens to be see-through.

...Which, come to think of it, means someone can have ultra awesome "minovsky glass" that absorbs or reflects ALL radiation except JUST the visible spectrum... somehow. Hell, make it a two way mirror so you can just shoot lasers outwards yet nothing else can get in but the pretty, pretty stars.

So it all evens out.
>>
>>13706789
what kind of readouts are the crew getting? Ticker-tape?
>>
>>13706789
Pretty sure letting your crew have a few places on board where they can see space (assuming this isn't realistic where everything is 99% blackness) to offset the claustrophobia and cabin fever is worth the minimal power it requires.

>>13706795
It's better to have a solid welded hull and not change around materials like that. And that's not how radiation works.
>>
>>13706807
>not how radiation works
Yeah, that's the thing about sci-fi, things don't always work the IRL way.
>>
>>13706865
>fellow no fun realism fag
>what if they had SUPER glass that shoot gamma radiation but they're invincible because the lasers don't hurt it?
Real sci-fi is based on science, it doesn't use it to justify space magic.
>>
Why not windows with an armored cover for combat scenarios?
>>
>>13706881
Okay, you need to become aware that a person can assume two positions in a discussion. If you need me to stay hard sci fi at all times, just ignore the magic space glad post. Otherwise, try to enjoy the thought experiment.

Or whatever, I'm cool in any case.
>>
>>13706883
Increase complexity, and you invite Murphy to your door.
>>
>>13706887
Ah, true. Very true.
>>
>>13706884
Wouldn't consider it a thought experiment when it's just
>"ultra awesome" "... somehow"
Not a lot of thought or experimenting going on.
>>
>>13706895
Again, disregard whatever is objectionable at your leisure.
>>
Enough about cruisers. On your personal skiff or what have you, would you use a windowed cockpit with overlays? I figure that if you're hit in something that small and underarmored you're going to be facing a vacuum anyway. Only other option would be to have the cockpit at the center of gravity in order to be more armored and face fewer Gs.
>>
>>13706910
Well, the way I see it, my eyes aren't really the best sensor system for space combat. A single pair of passive sensors with such small aperture size and limited wavelength sensitivity aren't going to do much good at picking enemy ships out of the background. So I'd probably have screens just so I could get the sensor feed from all my radar and IR cameras and what not. I might compromise and use a window with optical elements embedded in it so it can overlay the readouts over my field of vision and still leave me with some vision if I lose power, though.
>>
>>13706789
>Unless they're on the bridge, my crew better get used to nondescript grey walls.

You better get ready captain, because I'm going to paint ALL those walls powder blue.
>>
>>13706573
Canopy compromised...oh shit
>>
>>13706573
I quite like the window system in that indie game 'Star Citizen': Windows are translucent metal, so do not present a weakspot on the hull.
>>
>>13707331
That's what I meant by a window with overlays. If you lose power in space, though, I think you have more problems to worry about.
>>
File: 1447211500457-1.jpg (135KB, 1600x819px) Image search: [Google]
1447211500457-1.jpg
135KB, 1600x819px
Neither.
Windows, real or simulated would be a waste of time.
If you wanted to ease any feelings of claustrophobia you'd be better of just letting the crew use VR in their spare time rather than looking out into an empty void.
>>
>>13707469
This. It makes more sense to have a dedicated recreation room, like that one room in the Zeta gundam movie, than it is to have windows all over the place. It's better to have that sort of thing concentrated in one place.
>>
>>13707469
Real life ships have windows for more than just relief
>>
>>13706573
Depends.

Orbital cruiser/space station: real windows
Deep space liner: video windows

Reason being that while in deep space, there wouldn't be a whole lot to look at. Maybe a some stars, but it would be mostly a lot of dark nothingness. With video windows, you could at least switch up the feed to something else like a various landscapes, city scapes, ocean views, etc.
>>
>>13707593
Real life ships don't spend a lot of time in space.
>>
Both are good. Real windows in your ship seem like a terrible idea but I could see dumb asshats wanting them as well.
>>
>>13706789
Show me your interesting sci-fi script with those ideas
oh wait you're an autistic retard who can only complain
>>
>>13706789
You must only get the kind of sci-fi you like in novels, because that's pretty much the only place I ever see ships that are basically just flying tin cans nondescript inside and out. Which is too bad because I love that shit.
>>
File: 0_a6ae4_211245eb_XXXL.jpg (568KB, 947x1280px) Image search: [Google]
0_a6ae4_211245eb_XXXL.jpg
568KB, 947x1280px
>>13706573
Physical windows are comfy.
>>
lol look at this unrealistic bullshit. NASA actually thinks they know how space fucking works? What a bunch of autistic dumbass manchildren.
>>
>>13706789
Then you'd probably love crest of the stars, where every space battle is fought using computer renderings in lieu of visibly witnessing the action.
>>
Windows are physical weak points.
>>
well MAYBE if you intensified forward firepower properly, you wouldn't have to worry about windows being a flaw
>>
>>13706573
Crew with psychic powers who use
-clairvoyance to see what is happening
-psycho-kinetic powers to steer and control the ship.

in a dark, dimly lit huge gothic hall, around a poll with magical pony symbols.
>>
>>13710339
>Dark Angels' real secret.
>>
>>13706789
A man's heart isn't about efficiency, it's about passion. A true man needs to see his enemies before him, as well as the open sea when there's peace.
>>
>>13708299
What's her name? Do you have more?
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.