[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it just me, or does Big O's second season animation look

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9

File: 0.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
Is it just me, or does Big O's second season animation look a lot worse than the first season?

Still, it baffles me how well-animated the show is in the first place. Each episode looked like it had an OVA budget.
>>
>>13704740
Yes, digital is shit.
>>
>>13704740

you're not familiar with the shows production history, are you?
>>
>>13704740
Second season is digital, though it's framerate didn't seem to suffer (it increased if anything). The art style itself DID suffer tremendously though.

Sunrise will never properly rescan S1 in 1080p.
>>
Second season was an early digitally produced show.

Out of all the early digital shows I think Dai-Guard somehow came out looking the best
>>
>>13704754
Early digital was most often shit. I think that in the last few years we've gotten to a level where they've started to use digital for more and more things that would be impossible with cels and film.
>>
I agree, though it honestly looks pretty good when compared most other early digital anime thanks to that Cartoon Network money.

>Still, it baffles me how well-animated the show is in the first place. Each episode looked like it had an OVA budget.
Late 90s Sunrise was the pinnacle of great looking TV animation, just look at Bebop and Turn A.
>>
>>13704973
And Outlaw Star.

(Yeah I know a still image doesn't illustrate animation very well)
>>
>>13704911
To be fair, they've always used digital for things that would be impossible with film, it's just a matter of how obvious those effects were. Just look at any digital shot from the 90s shows we're discussing; they were there for a reason. Usually the background or surrounding effects were CGI (so they'd be difficult to composite with cels), or the image had to be manipulated in some way (glows, distortions, lens effects, etc).

I wouldn't even be mad with a lot of digital shows if they didn't cheap out on background compositing. I'd say it's the single worst aspect of digipaint, and it really isn't even the technology's fault, it's just cost cutting. The "moving texture" look of highly detailed rocks, clothing, etc, is just awful, and is akin to seeing a video game where the 3D models are rendered in high res, but the textures are all low res. A lot of these early digipaint shows DO have painted backgrounds though, and it shows.
>>
>>13704910
>Out of all the early digital shows I think Dai-Guard somehow came out looking the best

Except when anyone blushed.
>>
>>13704740
Can't unsee the faces on the shoulders.
>>
>>13705018
Why do you people praise Outlaw Star's animation so much? It's really not special, especially in the context of Cowboy Bebop.
>>
>>13705090
The grappler ship animation is pretty high framerate almost every time, and the last two episodes are basically OVA level.

Some episodes have terrible art styles (The angel links episode), but the shading also holds up for nearly the entire run.

>>13704973
Forgot Esca too.
>>
>>13705090
Have you seen the blu ràys?
>>
>>13705090
bebop was half pay tv, half direct to video
that's like how Game of Thrones looks better than a lot of stuff
>>
>>13705090
Because almost every episode has sequences composed entirely of Ones (one frame of animation per frame of motion).

Yeah there's some shitty background detail, it's still a TV show, but overall it's a super smooth show.
>>
>>13705142
All of Bebop was animated for TV, just TV Tokyo didn't broadcast half of it and the other half was shown out of order.
>>
File: animebudget.png (33KB, 1873x647px) Image search: [Google]
animebudget.png
33KB, 1873x647px
Escaflowne really benefits from the HD transfer.
That said, it was also high budget as fuck, pic related.
>>
>>13705204
How the hell did Seed Destiny cost so much? Did they roll the cost of all the TM Revolution songs across all the episodes?
>>
>>13705233

That and voice actors.
>>
>>13705238
Most voice actors I know of get paid shit, they often have to have second jobs to get by. How'd that kill the budget? Did they do more of it in-house than usual?
>>
>>13705238
>>13705260
Probably was a scam. Fukuda asked for a huge budget from Sunrise, gets it because of SEED's success, proceeds to blow it all on an expensive company vacation and uses whatever's left to make the show. And then Destiny did pretty well too, so Sunrise didn't care even if they did find out.
>>
File: 1438528499202.gif (3MB, 286x258px) Image search: [Google]
1438528499202.gif
3MB, 286x258px
>>13705204
>Escaflowne almost cost as much as 50 episode series

Jesus christ, and it still looks better than most of Eureka Seven.
>>
>>13705307
Probably a bad business decision but what a marvelous show. Looks and sounds incredible, only shame is that the digital parts look a little soft on the BD because they didn't originally do them in HD.
>>
File: 1446073637586.gif (55KB, 678x422px) Image search: [Google]
1446073637586.gif
55KB, 678x422px
Cause it was produced and made for a Western audience, and no one in the West actually cares about good animation quality.
>>
File: OS_25_animation.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
OS_25_animation.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>13705090
>>
File: OS_21_animation.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
OS_21_animation.webm
2MB, 640x480px
>>13705179
Good example of ones right here.
>>
File: OS_21_animation_2.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
OS_21_animation_2.webm
2MB, 640x480px
>>13705512
>>
>>13704910
I'd put that to Eureka Seven
>>
>>13705461
Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOhpleWJZ9w
>>
>>13704740
Notice that the first season is painted cels and the second was made with digital coloring.
>>
>>13705512
This is smooth but I can't say it looks particularly good
>>
>>13705461
>>13705512
>>13705530
Post a black hole bullet webm. Those things were nightmare fuel.
>>
>>13706272
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. The use of color, multiple cel layers, effects animation, double exposure glow, and that it all happens on ones and twos for such an extended period is amazing to me.
>>
>>13705090
The art style might be simple, but the animation was very well done technically.
>>
>>13706272
Are you blind?
>>
>>13709068
RX did you ever do an official sub patch for your Turn A release like there was with ZZ?
>>
>>13704740
You'd have to be blind to miss it.
>>
>>13712630
Nope. I'm trying to stay out of RS' efforts. I was glad to get this out just before the BDs come across.
>>
>>13704740
It's only "worse" because some footage from the first season was reused in the second season, like Roger Driving, Dorothy playing the Piano, and Roger meeting with Big Ear, and flashback I thought the Second Season's animation was good, but pacing of the season was rushed.
>>
>>13712956
>animation was good
S2 definitely has good stuff but it also has much weaker stuff than S1 overall. Also visuals are much weaker.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.