[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some of the stronger real robots? (Real vs. super real

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 17

File: 1218046721740.jpg (141KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1218046721740.jpg
141KB, 800x600px
What are some of the stronger real robots?

(Real vs. super real robots, not "robots that exist in the year 2016" real robots.)
>>
>>13700953
>not "robots that exist in the year 2016" real robots
>implying anything is stronger than BigDog
>>
>>13700958
The military just nixed the idea of big dogs in combat. Too loud, apparently.
>>
>>13700958
>>13700962
ONCE THE stealth BIG DOG IS MASS PRODUCED
>>
>>13701012
Actually Boston Dynamics doesn't want to do military work either.
>>
>>13700953
Define us what a real robot is first ;^)

It will vary WILDLY.
>>
>>13701170
Gundams and Valks, not Mazingers and Getters. Y'know, the commonly accepted definition, with things like Evas in a grey area between the two.
>>
>>13701819
Turn A gundam
/thread
>>
>>13700953
Aestivalis
Organs
Gundams (past Crossbone)
Valks
Any Real Robo from SRW
GaoGaiGar
>>
>>13701836
I thought Aestys were pretty low-tier. Maybe I'm misremembering Nabisco.
>>
>>13701896
Those distortion shields and bosom jumps
Just look at the black serena.
>>
>>13701819
>Gundams
Because Gundam sticks 100% to the realm of plausibility, right? Nothing "super" about the Moonlight Butterfly, the Sekiha Tenkyoken or the Raiser Sword at all, no siree. Seriously, these terms are meaningless.

Anyway, I'm going to say Gunbuster, but if that's too unrealistic for you, L-Gaim MK-II and its Buster Launcher are the strongest I know of, being effectively anti-battleship. If we apply these terms to all mecha fiction and not just animu, though, the true answer is probably something like the Imperator Titans from 40k
>>
Been on /m/ for a few months now and I still do not understand difference between real and super robot. Can someone explain?
>>
>>13702481
He means MS in general, I'd think.
>>
>>13700953
It's called
Soldier Robot
and
Hero Robot
>>
>>13702484
Real robot is a military or maybe police or whatever show with robots, where they're just treated as hardware. Super robot is a super hero show with robots where they're more akin to super powers.

Anything else is retarded.
>>
>>13702495
>where they're just treated as hardware.
>where they're more akin to super powers.
Both of these things are independent of it being a military or hero show.
>>
>>13702502
I said superhero. And sure you can have a military superhero but the "military" is just an example.
>>
>>13702484
>Real
May or may not act within a military chain of command
Ignores as few rules of reality as possible, weapons will all be things like guns, melee tools, etc.
Usually doesn't look too ostentatious

>Super
Has "super" powers, weaponry will resemble powers, etc.
Usually ostentatious in appearance

In reality there's no reason to bother distinguishing between the two because the line is so blurry it's pointless to think of. Zeta could channel newtype power, meanwhile Big O regularly needed to have maintenance and carried ammunition which had to be replaced.

>>13702481
>the true answer is probably something like the Imperator Titans from 40k
Nah, it'd be Gargants.
We kinda have them already, walking draglines have existed for decades and are roughly on scale with smaller Gargant classes, namely the Stompa and now Orkonauts. Kans and Dreds are further away.
>>
>>13702505
Well, your definitions are inaccurate at representing the actual sub-genres of mecha.
>>
>>13702446
Machine Calibers from Gargantia have some cool tech, too. Though they do get bodied pretty hard by space squids in the first episode despite this.
>>
>>13701060
They got bought by google/alphabet. Google wants to concentrate on consumer goods, and doesn't really want to be associated with killer robots.
>>
File: I_came_here_to_fuck_you_up.gif (595KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
I_came_here_to_fuck_you_up.gif
595KB, 480x360px
I have transcended mecha fandom and reach true mecha. I will tell you the difference.

The only difference between what people call real and super is the military setting. Which is to say the backdrop of the robot being based on a common battlefield weapon (though the main character's model is rarely ever common).

Things like organizations, verisimilitude, traditional weapons, reality warping powers etc are all things commonly found in all mecha to some degree and are not standardized tropes belonging to one side or another as many real/super robot proponents tend to believe.

This is truth, but only you can accept it into your heart of mecha.
>>
File: YF-29-Durandal.jpg (41KB, 600x386px) Image search: [Google]
YF-29-Durandal.jpg
41KB, 600x386px
Valkyries and everything in Macross are hands down the strongest "real" you can have with maybe the Black Serena and the MAchine caliber in second since the tech level in the macross universe is terrifyingly high
>>
File: 1449214521140.jpg (467KB, 1235x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1449214521140.jpg
467KB, 1235x1600px
Star Trek is a real robot setting because it has a high tech level and shows that people still wouldn't waste their time building Gundams. Also it happens to be the strongest.
>>
>>13702602
Photon torpedoes aren't the best example. With optimistically a 64 megaton yield, their destructive power is unimpressive.
>>
>>13702602
western trash isn't /m/
>>
>>13702484
If it would be dodgy or tanky in SRW
>>
File: main sequence of robots.png (508KB, 853x467px) Image search: [Google]
main sequence of robots.png
508KB, 853x467px
>>13702517
Genre fights are always mega-autistic and never settle anything, because there's always quibbling about the precise boundaries of categories. Real vs super is just an illustration of two tendencies which often co-exist in the same show.

>>13702547
This is the main difference, it's one of mentality.
>>
>>13702602

Why would you need to store matter onboard the torpedoes? Surely everything that's not the antimatter on the torpedo is in itself matter, as well as anything outside the torpedo. More than enough matter for the reaction I'd wager.
>>
>>13702558
>since the tech level in the macross universe is terrifyingly high
They've reached the point that their tech has enabled straight up magical girls. Just straight up mahou shoujo.

Macross wins the tech battle.
>>
>>13702558

Pretty much this, though I will say that I would absolutely love to see a fight between VFs and Machine Calibers, because I honestly cannot say who would win.

On the one hand, the VFs seem faster and more maneuverable, but on the other hand Machine Calibers have AIs that run aimbot.exe and an absurd level of beamspam for their size. I'm pretty sure that any VF that gets too close to a machine caliber would just eat lasers and explode with no hope of being able to dodge, but the VFs also have more long range firepower to bring to bear. Onthe other hand, aimbot.exe should have no problem shooting down missiles, and MC armor is some crazy stuff.

It would be a hell of a fight made of superfast and maximum lasers.
>>
File: horse.jpg (851KB, 1944x1944px) Image search: [Google]
horse.jpg
851KB, 1944x1944px
>>13703835

> Gundam
> more scientific than Macross

Yeah sure, the mechs designed by a toy company that don't even have an answer for why weapons designed primary for space have arms and legs are less scientific than the stuff made by an actual mechanical engineer whose only caveat is that no material on earth could possibly withstand the stresses required for transformation.
>>
>>13702602
But anon, Data is best robot.
>>
File: RealRobots.jpg (46KB, 333x480px) Image search: [Google]
RealRobots.jpg
46KB, 333x480px
Here are some real robots for your consideration.
>>
>>13703847

Because antimatter doesn't annihilate in combination with ANY matter, just the matter that is its charge-opposite.

Anti-hydrogen wont explode unless it makes contact with normal hydrogen. Thats why the Federation uses Anti-Deuterium, which isn't common unless you replicate, so the payload won't randomly explode outside of controlled events where it is intentionally exposed to the normal Deuterium.

Thats how anti-matter works.
>>
>>13704000

anyone?

anyone want to take this?
>>
File: 1451798477051.jpg (35KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1451798477051.jpg
35KB, 1280x720px
>>13703985
>real robot
>cover is filled with supers
>>
>>13704004
Anti-matter doesn't work like that.

Anti-matter was invented by Leonardo Da Vinci, so to activate it and cause it to annihilate, you need renaissance era properties. In other words, you need Proto-culture to use anti-matter.

tl;dr Only Macross accurately represents anti-matter, star trek is complete bullshit from western hacks who think electricity flows from the positive terminal
>>
>>13704013
>Getter Robo
>Super
>>
File: 1351732482218.jpg (222KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1351732482218.jpg
222KB, 480x640px
I'd say the Marauder Powered Suit from Starship Troopers are pretty high power man. You've got armor that stops most anti-tank rounds, programmable grenades fluent in multiple languages, a heat ray style flamethrower, and a top it all off with nuclear weapons as standard.
>>
>>13702494
This really is a good distinctiom.
>>
>>13705460
GIVE US YOUR COURAGE
>>
>>13705612
VIIIIIIFAAAAAAM
>>
>>13701825
00 Qan[T] would kick the Turn A's cock off, though.
>>
Iron Man is a super robot and is weak as fuck
Battle Galaxy is a real robot and an absolute madman of a machine
Just a reminder lads
>>
>>13703981
Don't forget the G-forces involved in the average dogfight in Macross being enough to liquify the pilot
>>
File: 81mY1b8n0bL._SL1500_.jpg (268KB, 1500x1023px) Image search: [Google]
81mY1b8n0bL._SL1500_.jpg
268KB, 1500x1023px
>>13700953
>one of the stronger real robots
>>
File: the future.jpg (1MB, 1884x1479px) Image search: [Google]
the future.jpg
1MB, 1884x1479px
>>13703981
>weapons designed primary for space
Yeah what use could legs or arms be in space
>>
>>13705662

Were it not for technology specifically to reduce them to a non-lethal level, yes. Which is less of a hdnwave when you consider that they have had artificial gravity tech since they found the Macross, so an inertial canceler only requires a miniturization of that technology they already have.
>>
>>13705707

Anyone who thinks that you have to take a mobile suit into a Side, EVER, has absofuckinglutely no idea how to wage war with any degree of intelligence.

"I want to capture their capital city. Quick, get some trucks so that we can DRAG our nuclear submarine up onto the beach and into the streets of the capital!"

Not only can you do massive damage to anything inside of the Side simply by attacking the equivalent area of its outer hull, the side is a self contained ecosystem. You can take every life in the side hostage simply by aiming a big gun at one of those implausibly huge windows and making demands. For longer term control, take the environmental controls by storm with a landing party of soldiers (not mobile suits, thats dumb) and you can turn off the oxygen any time you want, thereby having effective control of the whole station.

If you want to destroy the Side, you don't need to go inside it. If you care enough about the contents to want to capture it intact, there is no excuse for taking in a machine that, if damaged, explodes with the force of a weapon of mass destruction and kills everyone inside.
>>
File: Bust.jpg (677KB, 1368x1026px) Image search: [Google]
Bust.jpg
677KB, 1368x1026px
>>13705600
Except that it isn't. The exact same robots that blur the line between "real" and "super" also blur the line between "soldier" and "hero" for practically the exact same reasons.
>>
>>13705736
Mobile suits were originally used for maintenance of the Sides, you dumbotron.
>>
>>13705626
YOU ARE OUR IMAGE
>>
>>13705747

Balls were, I know that much. But I have never seen a picture of any mobile suit used for the same purpose.

The earliest MS that I know of is the Zaku 1, and that's always been a military machine.
>>
Orbital Frames
>>
>>13702547
This is it right here
>>
File: Zz1520.jpg (132KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Zz1520.jpg
132KB, 960x720px
>>13705787
>not knowing about the blessed lord Cattle-sama, praise he in Moon Moon
>>
File: 1239686300097.jpg (24KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1239686300097.jpg
24KB, 720x480px
>>13705736
That whole horrifically exploding thing wasn't even part of the equation until those crazy Federation fucks stuck a compact battleship cannon on their mobile suit, Minovsky reactors are safe when using conventional weapons. (which is why F91 is fucking full of machineguns)
>>
>>13706042

ZZ isn't canon and you know it.
>>
File: 1274519799749.jpg (44KB, 640x430px) Image search: [Google]
1274519799749.jpg
44KB, 640x430px
>>13702602
Star Wars is a real robot setting too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzc20Bm8Xo
>>
>>13706584
>details = real robot
wew lad
>>
>>13702602
I like how slick Star Trek tech is. What would a Star Trek mecha look like?
>>
File: tag_intro.jpg (57KB, 300x270px) Image search: [Google]
tag_intro.jpg
57KB, 300x270px
>>13706684
>What would a Star Trek mecha look like?
>>
>>13706584
>still shilling that crap
c'mon man.
>>
>>13702558
Please, one Sizzler could wreck an entire Macross fleet.
>>
>>13703971
Its not just speed, by the end of Frontier the tech has advanced enough that they could just ram into something that did not have the same barrier as them and scatter their atoms across the galaxy because of their fold barrier
>>
>>13708087

Not true. Worse case scenario, a macross cannon blast would obliterate even the full Gunbuster itself due to the superscience involved.

A Sizzler would have the advantage against VFs, but not an insurmountable one.
>>
>>13708132

Yeah, the pinpoint barrier is a hell of a drug. But at the same time Machine Calibers have gravity manipulation tech that is nothing to scoff at. Any VF planning on their pinpoint barrier to protect them that gets caught in a gravity trap (like what happened to the fish) is going to end up getting snapped in half before they even know what is going on, and pinpoint technology can't save them from that.

That, and VFs are forced to focus the pinpoint barrier to cover only a part of their bodies, and usually not for very long. Against most enemies this is devastating, but against an AI using lightspeed weapons any gap in coverage can be enough to prove fatal.

I think that Macross has the tactical advantage, but the MCs have stronger attacks and rate of fire with them, barring the high end weapons from Frontier like the MDE. Neither side is going to get out of the fight unscathed, its just a question of which side secures the advantage.
>>
>>13702602
I mean, if we're bringing in sci-fi in general, the Downstreamers have this in the bag.

Those fucks taught a few kids how to make a bomb that would create an infinite Multiverse.
>>
>>13708776
Did Machine Calibers have any way to get into space from the surface of a planet? If not, you could just bombard the planet like at the end of Space War I and it'd probably get taken out in the resulting holocaust.
>>
>>13709947
Their propulsion system works in both air and a vacuum, and fuel isn't a concern. Why wouldn't they be able to just fly into space?
>>
>>13700953
>What are some of the stronger real robots?

The ones I like the most
>>
The Scopedog can take out the Cho-Granzamboa, making it objectively the strongest real robot.
>>
>>13710012
I dunno. Just wasn't sure if it was stated outright whether they could do it or not. Maybe their antigrav only works close to something they can push off of?
>>
>>13710126

No, because they also use the same flight system in space.

When it comes to getting back to the Alliance, escaping Earth's gravity well is never mentioned as a concern. The problem is the lack of FTL, so it would take them 16000 years to get there.

That said, nothing we see Chamber and Striker do is close to how fast a VF goes. They are faster than Gundams, in that they can fly around celestial bodies like planets in a matter of minutes (as seen in the first episode) while in space, but VFs still outspeed them significantly.

The real advantage of their gravity floater is that is lets them bend the paths of objects headed towards them, acting as deflector for space debris and small projectiles, and it works literally anywhere. Given the nature of the antimatter-breeder reactor that powers a MC, it also has effectively infinite fuel as long as the MC never reaches energy crises state (not having enough power left to sustain the antimatter reaction that puts out more power than you put into it).

Fold technology gives Macross the FTL advantage, except in specific circumstances. The UN Spacy and Fold to basically anywhere it wants, but it takes a while to get there and superlong distances require multiple jumps. The Alliance is restricted to its network of wormholes and it presumably takes a lot of effort to make a new exit point, but once the wormhole is up and running travel between any two exit points is basically instantaneous.

So for most purposes Fold tech is better, but the Alliance can (in theory) cross superlong distances much faster, and getting reinforcements from other alliance bases is going to take minutes.

Interestingly, both sides are specced for fighting massive swarms of enemies from an inferior numbers standpoint. The MCs are always outnumbered by the Hideauze and their only hope is to outgun them, and the UN Spacey usually has to fight the zentradi and other enemies that travel in fleets of absurd size.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.