[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do I start to describe this mess? After watching 10 episodes,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 12

File: 1149.jpg (450KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1149.jpg
450KB, 1366x768px
Where do I start to describe this mess?

After watching 10 episodes, all I can say is "I am sooooo lost". I get the parties "Moon", "Earth", "Armenians", "Capital Army", and "Pirates". They are fighting, sorta, and yet they are not...... Main character "Bellri" was a cadet at the capital army, defected for NO reason and joined the Armenians, ended up killing his instructor, and despite the "Oh what have I done" scene, the remorse lasted about 5 seconds.

His mother is supposedly a high ranking officer, and she just decided to go find him in nothing more than what might be a wooden raft in a big ocean, having no idea how to find him, and yet found him, while ditching her duties.

Having watched Gundams for a few years now I come to expect the various things that the machines are doing without too much of excitement. Afterall, it is like watching the transformers and be amazed at their transforming capabilities..... Not gonna really happen. So point here is, it does not exceed expectation when it comes to the subject title.

The only part I can make of the "G" in the title is "Gawd" [why did I even watch this sh*t]. Gundam has always been about honor code, loyalty, maybe treachery/betrayal, but nary for petty reasons. I am still trying to understand the rifts between the two parties, and so far the only conclusion I get: reasons unknown.

Funny thing is, I might still keep watching. It might end up being like pulp fiction. You need to see the whole thing to finally understand the pieces here and there.

I HOPE there is a light at the end of this tunnel. But for now, it is cow patty. Hands down.
>>
How long until the shitposting stops and G-reco is hailed as a masterpiece? Only when the next series start?
>>
>>11883241
You're pretty dedicated, huh.
>>
>>11883275
Yeah such is the way of /m/
>>
>>11883281
It's getting pretty crazy though. It wasn't like this when 00 was airing. Hell, even when AGE was airing, people were critical but the shitposting wasn't this bad.
>>
>>11883275
I's just fake reviews MAL spamming: http://myanimelist.net/profile/zetagus
>>
>>11883295
Yeah. I think it's really just a vocal minority constantly shit posting as usual, but yeah it's pretty bad and annoying as all hell.
>>
>>11883301
It's because it's Tomino making it. If it were some no-name director we wouldn't get half this shit.
>>
>>11883295
We've been pretty much getting raided by /a/ since the whole 'G Reco BD's flopped!' thing.
>>
>>11883295
Trolls created the fake "buid babbies/G-fags" feud and now want to make it even bigger.

Soon we'll be actually killing each other over which show is better, when most normal anons watch both or are at the very least indifferent to one of them.
>>
>>11883311
I could see that.
>>
>>11883275
Haven't you heard of the Gundam Cycle?:
1. (Barring a few exceptions) Currently airing show is shit until it's replaced by a sequel/another show
2. Previous show is considered a classic and/or misunderstood masterpiece
>>
>>11883326

Exception: AGE, which everyone still says is shit
>>
except Reconguista does make sense to me. It's not hard to follow.
>>
>>11883347
At the risk of sounding like an old fart, it's because people these days are used to getting all of the info on a silver platter just about in shows, instead of getting hints and subtle nods.
>>
>>11883301
The good news is the constant shitposting tends to be confined to these bait threads and leave the general discussion threads free. The bad news is that the trolls new tactic is to flood the board with these stupid bait threads (this is at least the third one).

God, I wish /m/ still had a mod at times like this.
>>
>>11883277
It's working.
I don't want to watch Greco.
>>
>>11883361
Yeah thank god they seem to keep it out of Generals but yeah the flooding of bait is getting out of hand.
>>
>>11883342
Not gonna lie, I liked it better than Turn-A and Wing (which was just awful). G-Reco isn't Wing-awful, and is better than Destiny and Turn-A imho, but so far it's not passed AGE on my list (and I have watched every Gundam).
Honestly I'm beginnig to suspect that the pro-Reco side has just as may trolls as the anti-Reco side.
>>
>>11883355
I think it has to do with the flow of the show as well, they are moving through things quite quickly while keeping traditional Tomino pacing, so its quite jarring to see all the fluff he puts in that are generally quite drab and then lots of plot points being delivered through mouths right afterward. It needs a third or fourth season so Tomino can elaborate more, in my opinion.
>>
>>11883380
>age
shut the fuck up retard.
>>
At this point, I'm starting to think those kinds of posts are actually another g-reco general thread and OP is just being tsundere.

At least that makes better sense.
>>
>>11883364
Shame. I'm enjoying the hell out of it.
>>
>>11883389
Yeah the pacing is a bit quick. Hell the pacing in Episode one (and to a lesser extent 2) made me think I wasn't going to like the series as much as I have been, though there was enough to keep my intrested. Yeah the shows one flaw I'll give the other side might be a bit pacing.
>>
>>11883403
Yeah, I want to learn more about the conflict and surrounding world but I'm afraid that the rest of the show will all get swept away by random quirkiness and plot happenings.
>>
>>11883295

That's because, during VVV, /m/ decided that it was more fun to shitpost about a show than it was to watch it.

It has never recovered. I don't think there is a show that has aired since that /m/ hasn't at least tried to shitpost to hell and back. They gave up trolling Captain Earth threads about halfway through, but the entire existence of Aldnoah Zero has been co-opted into a shitposting meme.

If I didn't have so much goddamn time to kill at work, I wouldn't even bother coming back to this board it has gotten so bad.
>>
why are there like 500 G-Reco threads?
>>
>>11883465
The difference is that VVV was pretty bad. This... at the very most you could say it's too compressed and a bit muddled unless you pay close attention.
>>
>>11883470
Because it's still the Christmas holidays.
>>
>>11883470

Because the shitposting never stops, it only changes targets. These days it is G-Reco's turn.

It will pass when some new show draws the fire away. Hopefully one of the Toku shows, since I don't watch those and it will let me talk about the shows that I DO watch in peace.
>>
>>11883480

I'm not saying that G-Reco is as bad as VVV. I'm saying that VVV created a festering wound in our community that endlessly wants to have the same kind of "fun" that they did complaining about VVV, but now that VVV is gone they have to find new things to complain about.

Anger is a drug, bitching about things to a crowd is satisfying. All these people need is new things to complain about, real or imagined, and we are off to the races to see if they can create as big a shitstorm as VVV generated.
>>
>>11883480
Whereas VVV had legitimately bad things in it, G-Reco is... it's just not engaging at all.

Except for the lack of any real impact, the writing in this show isn't actually bad. The setting is interesting, the characters are interesting (except for Aida), and there are mysteries that unfold as the series progresses. I would say that what they have is good, but there's just not enough of it.

Like you said, G-Reco feels really condensed. The pace is so lightning fast that nothing in this show matters. Everyone forgets about everything by the end of the episode, if they even cared at all. I honestly think that the only thing that is keeping G-Reco from being a great show is how fast it is. If they slowed this show down and expanded on the characters and the setting more, I think people would like this show a lot more.
>>
>>11883533
But the show does have an impact for me. The writing is good. Obviously everything in the show matters. Raiyara is slowly getting better we're going to see the backstory past episode 1 and why she was piloting G-Self, she must've been some kind of pilot/soldier. No one seems to forget anything. They bring up Townsaga every episode and now we're finally getting there. But other people complain the pacing is too slow and not revealing the whole plot right away, so obviously there's no point in trying to please everyone you don't make a show that way.
>>
>>11883433
but you will learn more about the conflict. The last two to three episodes have been about revealing more of the conflict.

What is it about the pacing that bothers you. You faggots don't even understand what you're complaining about. You want to see a show with pacing issues then watch a short one-shot OVA like LeDeus or some long running shonen.

One minute the pacing is too slow and newfaggots complain it's too boring for their short attention span, then some other niwaka says the pacing is too fast. Just shut the fuck up and watch anime. A show doesn't have to pander to your specific tastes every second. The moment the show stops appealing to your specific fetish you want to drop it and throw a tantrum. Not following your personal fanfiction head cannon is a good thing, or else then the show would be too predictable wouldn't it.
>>
>>11883295

generally the shitposting increases when /m/ likes the show in question. Reco has its faults but it's a great Tomino show so far, so of course it's going to get trolled to hell and back.

AGE was a trainwreck but everyone agreed on that so it wasn't really something that could be used for trolling.

You just gotta learn to deal with it
>>
>>11883588
> One minute the pacing is too slow and newfaggots complain it's too boring for their short attention span, then some other niwaka says the pacing is too fast.

You know they both can be right. It is called schizophrenic pacing, where the details whizz by at lightening speed but the big elements never seem to move when you are paying attention to them. It is characterized by lots of things getting flashed in your face faster than you can follow them, and then you look around when the dust settles and you only moved forward a token distance. Most people find that kind of writing really distracting, because they have trouble figuring ouut what they are supposed to be paying attention to and feel like they missed something that they didn't during the frantic bits.
>>
>>11883619
holy shit faggot how about you read the subtitles when they come on the screen. In a roundabout way you're giving Tomino too much credit. His style is not THAT cryptic. It's not like he wrote the script in some non-human alien language or ancient Sanskrit.
>>
>>11883619
This is a good description of G-Reco. Lots of slow atmosphere and fluff (cookies, tooth-brushing, CHUCHUMY), then a bunch of comments about off-screen events (usually battleship/fleet movements), then conversations about what to do next.
Sure, I've kept up despite several istances of needing to rewind and figure out what the hell just happened (where did the bottm of G-Bull go?) but I fee for the people trying to watch it on tv.
>>
>>11883648
Which, let's be honest here, is not how the vast majority of the English speaking fanbase is watching it.
>>
>>11883619
>You know they both can be right. It is called schizophrenic pacing,
Or maybe you're just stupid
>>
>>11883651
Also, supposedly, even those in japan who don't have dishes are torrenting the episodes to get them earlier than the tv broadcast.

But let's be honest: the fact that instant-replay is needed to make sense of things is not a hallmark of good story-telling.
>>
>>11883672
I haven't really needed it. The only times I've gone back and rewatched a scene is during the fights were sometimes something can happen very quickly and I want to see it again. As far as the plot/dialogue goes, I can follow it about as well as any old show.
>>
>>11883672
I've never needed to rewatch things to understand them, as of this point in the story.

Not everybody is as good as others at connecting dots on the fly, that's okay.

Just because a story is more demanding of a viewer doesn't make it a poor story. Lots of classic literature is dense and difficult.
>>
>>11883655

You act like that isn't an actual term that comes up in creative writing courses all of the time. Go to college as an english major, and it will be one of those things on the 'do not do this' list.
Like introducing plot points that don't get payoff, or naming your characters after real people that you know.
>>
>>11883679
And by 'any old show' I mean 'any show' not an old show. It's a turn of phrase.
>>
>>11883689
I'm not suggesting the term isn't legitimate, I just think it doesn't apply to this show's writing. It doesn't seem schizophrenic at all.
>>
File: 1383997818099.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1383997818099.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>11883689
but those creative writing classes are shit. same thing with film schools. They don't teach you properly on how to analyze and consume media. They only teach you how to write a bunch of fluff and bullshit to fill out the minimum page requirement for your term paper.
>>
>>11883722
>Those classes are shit
>same thing with film schools.
Unless you've both taken the courses required for an English degree, AND been to film school, you're completely and totally full of shit.

Anon hasn't done either of those things.

You know what's fun? Parroting stupid, factually inaccurate bullshit on the internet about how [college degree] is completely worthless.
>>
>>11883241
Great Insight
>>
File: 1408310219831.png (848KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1408310219831.png
848KB, 800x600px
>>11883735
>courses required for an English degree
Jesus christ, why would anybody do that?
>>
File: 1379296517685.jpg (36KB, 556x426px)
1379296517685.jpg
36KB, 556x426px
>>11883735
sounds like a struck a nerve.
not all college degrees are worthless. just the english and film ones. You could get a college degree that's actually worth something. Like electrical engineering or computer science, architecture etc.
You can't build shit with an english/political science/film degree. There's no math.
>>
>>11883694
I don't know... that scene of the pope eating Belli's mom's cookies was a non-sequiter worthy of Monty Python. The brevity of the space battles compared to the time spnt on retal shanks and "Raraiya said she likes that house"...
There's almost as much irrelevant atmosphere as there is plot.
>>
>Armenians
Perhaps this is intentional.

In any case, keep watching OP last 4 episodes have really livened the plot and has added some stacks to the political clusterfuck going on near Sancto Porto.

It's easy to summarise. Here we go.
MUH PHOTON BATTERIES
MUH TABOO
MUH SPACE FLEET CUZ DANGER FROM SPACE
MUH INTERNAL CONFLICT OVER TECH MONOPOLIZATION AND THE HOLDING BACK OF EARTH'S RECOVERY
MUH MOON PEOPLE NOT LIKING REJUVENATED TECH ON EARTH
MUH MOON RECONGUISTA
MUH MOON vs. EARTH
MUH SU CORDO
>>
>>11883761
holy shit I must be drunk, dem typos. My bad.
>>
>>11883758
but those quiet atmospheric scenes are where the character development happens that you love so much. so if it was just space battles then you f/a/ggots would still complain. Those quiet scenes are where we learn the quirks of each character. That's what establishes the character development. Just like how those quiet scenes on the Argama is where the AEUG crew bonded and you felt attached to them.
>>
>>11883758
raiyara obviously has memory problems so when she does something vaguely normal instead of being moebait chuchumy all the time, it's a big deal. That's called learning more about her.
>>
>>11883756
>implying that math is needed to be worth something.
People who know math make things. People who know how to write and act fill those things with content.

If you want to talk about how useless English courses and acting courses are, then I recommend you start thinking about famous people you know of, and famous people the people around you know of. How many of them are engineers, techs, or scientists?

I'm not saying that STEM is unimportant, but consider this a reminder that the vast majority of the media you digest comes from people who are paid to write, relayed by people who are paid to talk and wave their hands in an entertaining fashion.

Build all the buildings you want, but buildings don't control people. The media? The media controls people. STEM elitists often forget that fact in lieu of "MUH DIRECT CONTRIBUTIONS TO SOCIETY," as if society bows down to the rhyme and reason of science and technology.

You know what you can build with a political science degree? A following that firmly believes that organizations like NASA should be defunded because "we have our own problems on Earth." Of course, we all know that NASA is severely overfunded right now.

I'll believe that English majors, political science majors, and film whatevers are useless when STEM degree holders start framing public opinion.
>>
>>11883758
All those scenes are actually round out the characters, though, as opposed to just more flashy beams and explosions.

>pope eating Belli's mom's cookies
It shows that the pope, the director of the elevator, and the inspector general of Ameria can sit down and have a peaceful snack even while they're negotiating. Also, it gives Wilmit further characterization as a mother devoted to her profession, as well as showing the pope to be fairly down-to-earth.

>rentals
Both scenes of the cast crossing from the elevator to the negotiation building serve as a contrast to the bleakness outside.

>"Raraiya said she likes that house"
This is straight up foreshadowing/confirmation. The moon spacenoids built Sankto Porto, possibly very similarly to how Towansanga was laid out. Raraiya's house on Towansanga likely looks very similar, and is almost certainly a location we'll be visiting in the next few episodes.
>>
>>11883771
>>11883775
The end result of that is that I do care about what happens to Raraiya but not the war. It just seems like the main plot isn't getting the attention that the ephemera does. I think fewer people would be confused if they spent more time on the core story than the fluff. Not becuse what's happening is confusing in and of itself, but it's presented as if it's incidental and less important than reinforcing how much Raraiya LOVES that fish.
>>
>>11883838
patience. we don't know what's gong to happen next.
>>
>>11883838
>I think fewer people would be confused if they spent more time on the core story than the fluff
But that's the entire point: the character interactions /are/ the core of the story, not the war. Tomino outright stated that G-Reco focuses on Bellri and company's wacky adventures.

Frankly, I think it's for the best: Amuro didn't win the OYW, nor did the White Base. They spent their entire service career during the OYW acting as a distraction, allowing the Federation the time to build up an overwhelming advantage and destroy the primary Zeonic fleets in a single offensive lasting less than 2 months. Covering the entire war would have been foolhardy. It's why, for example, Band of Brothers doesn't cover the entire war, because it's out of the scope of the plot.
>>
>>11883317
That still fascinates me
How the fuck do you go from 17k to 3k
>>
G-Reco's problem is that it has retards attacking the series over anything, which causes the fans to get ridiculously defensive and jump down the throats of anyone who says anything remotely negative about the show. It's neither a trainwreck nor a flawless masterpiece but the most vocal people don't take middle grounds.

If I had to describe G-Reco myself, I'd say that it's enjoyable but it feels "off" on lots of things. Like, I love all of these little character moments with the Megafauna crew, showing just how bro that entire crew is. I don't think I've ever cared this much about the crew as a whole on any ship in Gundam. On the other hand, I feel like characters are just shouting a script at each other rather than conversing at times. I get what characters are saying and what Tomino means to convey with their lines, but there's no logical flow in conversations.
>>
>>11883852
> It's why, for example, Band of Brothers doesn't cover the entire war, because it's out of the scope of the plot.

The difference is that Band of Brothers was a smaller look at a larger conflict that the viewer already knew pretty well. World War 2 is commonly taught, commonly depicted, and anyone who wants to know more has a wealth of historical research and documents to go look up.

Doing the Band of Brothers thing for a conflict that you are showing to the viewer for the first time is silly, because it leaves huge gaps in the viewers understanding of the overarching conflict, but that conflict is integral to the context and drive of what the fuck is going on in every episode.

If you showed Band of Brothers to some alternate history version of the Earth where none of those countries or parties existed, at some point someone is going to ask you what the hell a France is. Everyone keeps talking about it, but no one will explain what it is because it is assumed you already know.
>>
>>11883241
stopped watching after ep 4, return to watch till ep 14, still have no fucking clue whats going on.

though i like how mask dude is so incompetent in every mission/fight yet people still follow him. dat mysterious mask.
>>
>>11888216
If it wasn't for Bellri Mask would be the best pilot in the series next to Klim. He's just incompetent when compared to Bellri. But that's the problem when you are always going up against the best and testing yourself to the limit.
>>
>>11888221
Well, if Bellri wasn't around, Dellensen would still be alive, so no, Mask would still be 2nd stringer.
>>
>taking the bait

all these GENIUSES in this thread
>>
Everyone on /m/ has concern about G Reco whether if It's positive or not because G Reco is masterpiece as hell.
>>
File: 1262608777660.jpg (23KB, 456x456px) Image search: [Google]
1262608777660.jpg
23KB, 456x456px
>>11888259
>>
Honestly I don't even care about the story, it's just fun to watch and Klim Nick is the best.
>>
Why are people acting like G-Reco's writing is any different from literally all of Tomino's previous shows? It has the same flaws in pacing, character, exposition, and world building. It has the same problems his writing has had in Dunbine and Zeta and everything else. He's had the same weird writing quirks for nearly 35 years now. Why are people pretending this is new? Their first time seeing it all weekly? Their first time seeing it without grain but with the name Gundam? What in the hell?
>>
I never got what's supposed to be so cryptic and hard to understand about G-Reco.
>>
>>11888259
yes, It will stand out beyond time
>>
>>11888270

Because before, all of those flaws could be explained away as "anime was in a different place a couple of decades ago. You cant hold 80s shows to the same standards as modern shows!"

So all of those same issues coming up now means that there is no protection of nostalgia or distance.
>>
>>11888270
Maybe they are just used to his old anime.
Greco is new and we don't know exactly it will end.
>>
>>11888458
>You cant hold 80s shows to the same standards as modern shows!
That's some retarded reasoning anyway. The only thing older shows can be excused for would be lower production values since cel animation is much more time-consuming than digital.
>>
>>11888270
It's the breaks between episodes, most people binge on shows so they get a load of info a once

Now they have to wait which leads to three kinds of people. Those bitch they don't understand, those who try and figure stuff out and those who troll
>>
>>11883722

The lower level courses that non-English majors take are pretty simplistic, but higher level courses require much more effort and the crititiques are much more thorough. Composition classes can be done by any high school graduate, while my intro to fiction class caused about 1/3 of the class to drop, and the mid level creative writing courses had brutal critique sessions, and then the upper level classes got fun again because all the casual writers couldn't even make it in because their portfolios didn't qualify (no more shitty stories to have to read anymore because everyone was pretty good.) Not to mention the discussion sessions in upper level lit courses is awesome because all the obtuse jocks and confused math nerds are gone so we didn't have to fast time explaining the basic shit to them.
>>
>>11883683

I have no problems in connecting the dots. The main issue i have is that the plot is moving at snail pace. I like world building moments, but in G-Reco those are too prominent and everything else seems to be of secondary importance. In particular the characters are like dots on the map movend back and forth waiting that the world situation reach a critical mass phase. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but i find the events surrounding the characters unengagin, as they were parked in a situation of costant useless motion. Something big is bound to happen eventually, but so far it's like i am reading a overly long pamphlet while waiting for the real movie to start.
>>
File: 1419292864343.gif (2MB, 500x516px) Image search: [Google]
1419292864343.gif
2MB, 500x516px
I think the show is better watched by marathoning it rather than watching it on a weekly basis.

That's how I'm watching it so far and so far I am really enjoying it.
>>
>>11888672

Yeah, it definitely works better marathoning 4-5 episodes at time.
>>
>>11888502

I'm more curious as to these dumbass' opinions on his old shows that were exactly the same. I really bet these are the same people who think Zeta is a paragon of real world grit and deep well thought out nuanced character.
>>
Other thread:
>>11884129
>This time, G-Reko's getting shit for not enough world-building
This thread:
>>11888662
>I like world building moments, but in G-Reco those are too prominent and everything else seems to be of secondary importance.
The complaints about the show are more confusing than the show ever was.
>>
>>11888270
but the writing in Dunbine and Zeta was solid.
The pacing, character exposition, and world-building was all explored over 49 episodes and lead to a satisfying climax. That's how Shou gets wrapped up in the world of Byston Well as it becomes his new home and he realizes he can't go back to his normal life on Earth. Zeta is what expanded the U.C. timeline and gave us Anaheim Electronics, and showed the Federation in a new more negative portrayal.

I wish niwakas would shut the fuck up about herp writing derp pacing if they have no fucking idea what it means. What is it about the pacing that bothers you? You can't sit still and watch 49 episodes, is that too long for you? You know what shows have pacing issues modern anime 1 season shit that only gets 13 episodes and no budget. Or short OVAs, or shonen shit that's 500 episodes. You faggots don't even know what it is about the show that bothers you. I can go herpa derpa Eva has shit pacing. Herpa derpa Ghost in the shell flawed writing and no character development.

All the complaints are just
>hurridon'tlikething
>bawwthisshowdoesn'tappealtomydelicatesensibilities
You don't give any fucking reasons why. Just derp the writing herp the pacing. Of course you faggots don't know anything about writing and pacing or character development, so how are you supposed to recognize it when you see it?

I think the modern anime fan (casuals from /a/) are too used to watching SOL moeshit where nothing happens, and not used to watching action anime.

Seriously if you're having this much trouble comprehending Reconguista then how do you people manage to watch any other anime or consume any form of media? How much of a fucking failure do you have to be that you can't even watch media properly. It's your fucking hobby you can't be that fucking bad at it.
>>
>>11888707
but it was. That's why the ending is such a tragedy because you get attached to Kamille as he matures and the AEUG crew. Even the rival like Jerid and other Titans got insight and development. You see them grow over the course of the series.
Jerid is the best example of character development, the rival character that you actually start to sympathize with.
>>
>>11888752

I don't understand those who say that G-Reco has no worldbuilding, because it's the most marked point of the show. It's simply not linear in the exposition, but it's not exactly a new thing. However i stand to my opinion that the characters are suspended in a series of more or less irrelevant skyrmishes until the world is finishing to "build itself". The show is promising (it all boils down on what happens when the "critical mass" in the world events is reached), but has flaws. I understand that fans are overly defensive after all the bashing on the message boards etc, but we should able to discuss the show in detail anyway.
>>
>>11888707
I dunno about Zeta being "real world grit," but certainly we can agree that it's far above average in terms of characterization for anime? Almost everybody's character gets seriously touched upon. The parallels and contrast between Jerid and Kamille is pretty brilliant in my opinion. You see how they start off similar (arrogant, hot-headed, etc.), but Jerid never matures and holds onto his grudges while Kamille actually becomes a responsible human being.
>>
G-Reco is ok, but people giving Tomino way too many passes on several things. There are more complex stories told in films in far less time, and the explanation that it's more of an "observed world" than a show that characters should explain often is weakened substantially when characters have expositional monologues in their gliders or think aloud to themselves.

Characters can have different motivations or make different decisions than viewers might, but their actions should at least be somewhat understandable without having to fabricate possible explanations that make less sense than "the show staff wanted the young boys and girls to be together."

People on who rabidly defend the show seem to think there is possible way that the show might not be as great as they want it to be. Part of being a good creator is being able to convey what you mean effectively, even if it is a complex story or complex character motivation, and G-Reco does not fully succeed in these respects. The plot of the show is relatively simple, it's not like there are so many subtleties that it's impossible to dumb down any more. The fact that there is so much confusion about such a simple story points to poor execution.
>>
>>11888846
But G reco does convey the meaning effectively. Is it Eva's fault if the audience can't pick up on the meaning?
Is dumbing things down for the audience a better alternative? I don't know how you watch anime but it sounds like you're doing it wrong. The only one confused here is you.
>>
>>11883648

What's wrong with cookies, tooth-brushing, and chuchumy
>>
>>11888872

if you think your 2 rhetorical questions proved anything you're wrong
>>
>>11888878
no different than your rhetorical bullshit.
>>
>>11888846
>There are more complex stories told in films in far less time
I can buy that, but why is that a negative point towards G-Reco? There's no "race" to tell a story. What specifically is not understandable?
>>
>>11888896

lol ok

>>11888905

I think it's the format, watching it in a few sittings would probably be better than watching it weekly because there is less time between an unexplained event and the following episode's info that can give it context
>>
>>11888878
>>11888846
The characters decisions and motivations are understandable. Like what the fuck. You complain about monologues (even though Reconguista doesn't really use a lot of internal monolgues so far), but apparently you need them or else you get "confused".
Would you prefer a whole episode dedicated to Aida and Bellri crying over Cahill?
Bellri didn't cry like a little bitch about killing his instructor because he is a manly badass mercenary. You would rather him look at the camera and cry for 20 minutes to make sure that the viewer understands? When niwaka's try to go back and watch the older U.C. Gundam series the first complaint is usually that Amuro and Kamille start off too "whiny" and not "manly" enough. Tomino finally gives you the manly protagonist that you wanted and you still bitch and complain. You can't even appreciate it.

>bawww I'm confused
is not a proper criticism of the show. People said the same thing when they first watched GITS or Eva without the evageeks wiki to use as a guide. If you're confused about something then figure it out.

If autistic teenagers can understand it, then so can you. Clawshrimpy had the real autism and he managed to pay attention to every detail in GGG. So you can manage it to. There's no excuse. Everyone has the mental capacity capable for it.
>>
>>11888921

The only unexplained event I'm having any real trouble with is Loran suddenly becoming unretarded in 14 (which is fine) but the other kids only noticing at the end of the episode

Like she says a full, coherent sentence near the start of the episode and they're like "lol whatever" but they don't go WOW YOU'RE TALKING AND NO LONGER BRAIN DAMAGED until she says their names near the end of the episode
>>
Someone just post the Copypasta and be done with it.
>>
>>11888929
because she was saying sentences but they weren't sure if her memory was fully back yet or not. When she starts saying names of everyone for the first time, it's proof that's she's cognitively aware of what's happening and remembers them. So it's the first sign of getting her memory back. I think the main reason for her behavior change is because they are getting closer to Townsaga.
>>
>>11888929
That one just seems like a page got switched around in the script.
>>
>>11888804
>>11888839

They DO exist.
>>
>>11888969
Because it's wrong to like Zeta or any of Tomino's older shows?
>>
File: 1415560270425.jpg (9KB, 189x158px) Image search: [Google]
1415560270425.jpg
9KB, 189x158px
>>11888969
>people on /m/ like a timeless classic that's a part of anime history
wow so fucking shocking.
fuck off back to whatever shithole site you came from and take your poor taste with you. This is the mecha board. Learn something about mecha anime or get out. If i want to read shitty derp opinions on how good Seed shit is; there are plenty of other shitty anime websites I can use. Like plebbook or the faggots from tumblr. I'm sick of reading your garbage posts.

Do you know where your plamo comes from build baby? It's thanks to the success of Zeta that Gundam became a franchise and is still around today. It's about showing respect for your elders and anime history. You fucking young people think anime just started yesterday?
>>
>>11888967
I'm not a Japanese expert but I think that might be a case of horriblesubs. The line might be literally translated into IIRC ("wow she's talking normal"), but Bellri seems more amazed that she recognizes everyone's names. It's because Raiyara can put the names together and recognize the people is what makes them shocked, not just talking normally.
>>
>>11883241
>news about show bombing spread
>people start attacking it
heh. faggots
>>
Remember the original gundam? Remember how every episode started with a monologue describing the basis of the war?
>>
>>11889305
remember how you skipped it after a few episodes to get on with it? Seriously if you need a little summary every episode you have brain problems
>>
>>11889321
Did anyone complain about giving the basics of the setting as dumbing down?
>>
>>11889339
Yes cause it's annoying having to skip each time. Remembering the basics of the show like the setting or what happened last episode isn't hard, it's why shows generally don't and those that do really use it to pad out length
>>
>>11889354
The point is that MSG gave you the basics then built off of it. Not the fact that it opened every episode, but the fact that the fist episode opened with it. Way to miss the point.
>>
>>11889367
No your point wasn't that, your point was wanting it every episode. We get the basic point of space elevator, space batteries, space pope and people not liking it so acting first ep. That is the basic premise and is spelt out very clearly

Is there more to it? Sure but the point the story is revealing that over time, you have your basic premise and work off it.
>>
>>11889384
>no your point was
ok
>>
>>11883241
I thought /m/ didn't have underage and newfags.

>sh*t
> "I am sooooo lost"
>>
I really hate the name Captain Mask.
>>
File: hahaha.png (275KB, 292x437px) Image search: [Google]
hahaha.png
275KB, 292x437px
>>11888784
>>11888839
>but the writing in Dunbine and Zeta was solid
>we can agree that it's far above average in terms of characterization for anime.
Holy fucking shit. Some of you people are deluded as fuck.

Dunbine has awful pacing and the story is badly developed, especially when you consider how awesome of a setting the show actually had.

Don't even get me started on Zeta's "characterisation".
>>
>>11889625
Cool shit opinion bro.
The pacing was good and the story was well developed.
>>
>>11883275
It happened with Turn A when Turn A got released. People were on newsgroups complaining about when the robots were going to fight.
>>
>>11883275
>G-reco is hailed as a masterpiece

that's cute.
>>
>>11889669
you're cute
>>
>>11889603
Why? It's fine.
>>
>>11889669
>>11883275
It'll be hilarious is people start calling it the Evanjellyion for the 2010's

/a/ will start hailing it as the second coming a christ and say they liked it while the plebs on /m/ hated it.
>>
>>11889748
wot
>>
>>11889754
It'll happen, just watch.

The wave of 2deep4u elitism will prevail in the coming decade. People will start looking for hidden meanings where there are none, making connections on things that don't connect. /a/ will start calling it masterpiece being the contrarians they are and then to maintain this ideology and moral superiority they must portray /m/ as the unenlightened plebs that hated it while /a/ always knew it's true genius.

It'll be Evangelion all over again.
>>
>>11888846
thanks, i couldn't quite put it, but you nailed it with the expositional monologues, it's so damn unnecessary.
>>
>>11888928
>Bellri didn't cry like a little bitch about killing his instructor because he is a manly badass mercenary.

Underrated joke.
>>
File: c64.png (434KB, 788x1097px) Image search: [Google]
c64.png
434KB, 788x1097px
Has anyone made a muh taboo version with Bellri?
>>
>>11883295
You're over sensitive about G-reco because there was this much for 00 and AGE.
>>
Is G-reco really that different from past Tomino series?
People seem to be going apeshit saying it makes no sense and that it's poorly paced, but pretty much every instance people have cited for it being awkward/nonsensical has sounded like standard Tomino fair to me.
>>
>>11883361
>God, I wish /m/ still had a mod at times like this.
We do, they only monitor pedo threads.
>>
>>11883295
>It wasn't like this when 00 was airing.
Your perspective is skewed.
>>
>>11889450
>being this retarded
It's copypasta from elsewhere.

As usual, G-recofaggots fall for it.
>>
>>11883295
Age was garbage, especially towards the end people just didn't give a shit about it. It was bland boring nonsensical gundam copy made by nobodies.

G-Reco is made by Tomino and much like his other works, it requires to viewer to remember things for longer than a single episode.

People's love for Tomino and this show, coupled with it's inherent alienation of ADHD ridden idiots make it ripe for shitposting just like Zeta and Turn A
>>
>>11883380
>I have watched every Gundam)
get a life
>>
>>11891226
>not having seen every Gundam
get a life.
>>
>>11883361
>Person creates thread expressing a critical opinion of a television show
>This is bait and must be banned

What a bunch of babies.
>>
>>11891500
This is copypasta, OP.
>>
>>11883533
Just like u have said. The problem of pacing here is that this story features many great things
1) conflict on earth
2) political conflict among various factions
3) towasanga
4) Venus globe

By adding these elements in a Half year long series (ep 25) , its definitely gonna make the pacing super duper fast considering that they are trying to cramp in weird foreshadowing terms like 'kashiba mikoshi' , 'Hermes foundation', 'sakoosoon' so that they will reveal them in the future episdoes. Furthermore, for the bad OP theme and stuff is due to budget constraints, the G no Senkou was supposed to be the OP theme of the series yet good grief Sunrise is not listening to him at all. Still, blame the franchise for controlling Tomino's creativity...
>>
>>11883672
I am watching live on TV Broadcast and downloaded the Torrent as collection just to rewatched the epic fighting scenes that happened throughout the episodes. Of course, by watching the TV broadcast live meaning the audience have to pay a lot intention. But I don't see that as a problem in the Japanese community, we all know what's happening throughout the episodes without any problem.
>>
>>11891500
It is literally a review from MAL. I'm surprised it's still here since usually those don't stick around for long.
>>
>>11891682
Janny is too busy watching his pedo threads like a hawk.
>>
>>11889127
If u are a person who knows Japanese, I guarantee u will know the plot better than having subs. Sometimes the subs just doesn't match the character to character dialogue which is one of the problems that brings confusion here
>>
>>11883241
It's "jamming a 50ep idea into a show half that long" syndrome. Everything the characters do makes logical sense, but it doesn't leave as much of an emotional impression as it should because each part should have twice as much time spent on it.
>>
>>11883470
Because people like the show in general to watch it every week but it is flawed enough that there is always something they wish it did better.
>>
File: waldorf and statler.jpg (80KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
waldorf and statler.jpg
80KB, 1024x768px
>>11883465
>They gave up trolling Captain Earth threads about halfway through

That's funny, I thought everyone had given up Captain Earth by about halfway through
>>
im gay
>>
>>11888752
Different people have different tastes obviously so they will have different opinions on how they think the show would be improved.
G-reco has spent a lot of time building up some parts of their wolrd like the political structure, technology(especially means of transportation), and architecture but has ignored other areas that some people would find important for a fictional world like how they get their food, how does the average person make their living, and what the average person does for recreation ect. The obvious assumption can be that its the same as our world if it isn't stated to be different, but some people won't be able to accept that.
>>
>>11889305
That was for people tuning in for the first time numbnuts. The original show had an overarching story but each episode had its own self-contained story as well.
>>
>>11891823
I thought it was going to be ~50 episodes.
It has to be 50 episodes.
Gundam is always over 40 episodes at least.
Reconguista is supposed to launch a new era of Gundam. The next timeline past U.C.
>>
>>11883465
>They gave up trolling Captain Earth threads about halfway through

Unfortunately they will still show up to troll new Captain Earth threads now that it is finished and there are less of them
>>
>>11883506
I have to say, I never thought of it that way, but it makes a lot of sense. Never saw as much stupid shit on this board as I did after Valvrave aired.
>>
>>11890848
Tomino's shows have wildly different flaws and wildly different triumphs so I don't think that's a good excuse. Some have characters that are hard to like and rivalries that feel forced but have great dramatic moments, some are slow to start or go off the rails at the end but are strong besides that, some have executive meddling change the order of the first few episodes so the gundam is seen sooner, some have the head animation director get hospitalized half way through resulting in a drop in the animation quality, and G-reco previewed the first three episodes in theatres months early and those first three episodes were so bad that they are still managing to throw people for a loop 10 episodes later despite everything else making sense.
>>
>>11891996
Wait is the show already almost half over?

Fuck. I thought it was just getting started.
>>
>>11892098
Nobody actually knows. People THINK it's two cours but that hasn't been confirmed yet.
>>
>>11892098
>>11892105
its planned to be 26 episodes
maybe they have more plans for these characters after that but who knows
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-06-14/tomino-gundam-g-no-reconguista-is-half-a-year-long/.75570
>>
>>11892105
Tomino announced 25 is the final episode in an advanced screening event last Sunday
>>
>sh*t
>>
G-Reco is a mess, but it's a hot mess. It's the hottest mess I've seen in a long, long time. And I'm okay with that. (Bubblegum Crisis was the hottest mess there ever was, and that hasn't stopped it from being an essential classic.)

Ever since Turn-A Gundam, a hot mess has been the most that Gundam fast can really hope for with any new series. (We happened to get something much better than a hot mess with Build Fighters, but we couldn't realistically have hoped for BF to be three-quarters as good as it is.)
>>
>>11892361
What the fuck is a hot mess? Did I inadvertently time travel back to the 80s or something? Why does 4chan still exist?
>>
>>11892399
it's what i make after i'm done fapping to all the great doujinshi gundam has come out with over since turn a
>>
>>11883275
>>11883295
haha
>>
>>11889875
reverse KLK
>>
>>11892412
Hey there, radical dude. I've got this cool thing to show you called "rock 'n roll". You're gonna love it.
>>
>>11892473
You mean in that people are already calling KLK a masterpiece? Perhaps it's more popular than it deserves to be, but it's a lot more clever than the "KLK IS SHIT" people give it credit for. Trouble is, even the ones who overrate it miss what's good about it. I know it sounds incredibly elitist to complain about people liking good things for the "wrong" reasons, but that's exactly what went down, and it's a shame.
>>
>>11883275
The shitposting is eternal

>shitposting complaining about a currently airing show
>shitposting complaining about how previously aired show was
>shitposting complaining about the people who who said the show was good/enjoyable and claims that they went as far as to call it a masterpiece
>shitposting to complain about the shitposting
>moot is a cuck
>>
>>11892521
>4chan discussing g-reco or a/z
vancouver riots.png

>4chan discussing moot being a cuck
roman senate.jpg
Thread posts: 166
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.