[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the advantage of using the core fighter only instead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 22

What's the advantage of using the core fighter only instead of using the Gundam directly? They just keep doing that shit.

Also general 0079.
>>
>>11134509
More mobility and a smaller target I suppose. Also, mind if we expand the thread a bit? I just finished CCA today, completing my tour of essential early UC (0079, Zeta, ZZ, and CCA).
>>
I can only say that it's the mobility that the Core Fighter has that the Gundam doesn't
They usually use it just for scouting don't they?
>>
Gundam can't fly, Core Fighter is faster.
Plus it lets them use more stock footage if he decides to combine.
>>
>>11134514
>Also, mind if we expand the thread a bit?
Do what you want, I'm just creating thread to talk about 0079 these last days since I'm in the process of discovering the series in general.
>>
>>11134509
Before the G-Fighter, it was the only way to get people in the air. Plus, once he'd mastered midair docking, he was able to switch on the fly.

It's still stupid though. He calls out Bright for similar shit at one point.
>>
>>11134523
So have you watched other series within the timeline yet?
>>
Wow Amuro just shot down a flying Gouf with the core fighter. Well. Maybe it's not that bad for fighting after all.
>>
>>11134524
ZZ is more frustrating in my opinion. It seemed like the ZZ was always disassembled and shit. Like, why? I don't understand the logic, although it was a bit different since the double beam rifle still nuked just about everything but it was still ridiculous.
>>
>>11134540
Nope, doing them all in order.

SHOO
>>
>>11134560
Same here, actually. You should enjoy Zeta and ZZ (maybe more or less than 0079 depending on your tastes).
>>
>>11134554
This bugged me in Xabungle, too. They always seem to carry Xabungle around in its trailer form, instead of its mech form. Why they don't just store and maintain it already transformed is beyond me. The only reason I could think of is maybe Xabungle's too big to fit in the hangar in humanoid mode, or something; they are bigger than most normal walker machines.
>>
>>11134560
SHOO

Oh jeeze. I just finished watching 0079 not too long ago myself and had myself a chuckle at that. After watching it I'm flabbergasted how it's probably the one of the best depictions of a bunch of young people and children in a giant robot/war situation. Every time either Amuro or someone shitting on Amuro has a little freakout, part of me can see the reasoning behind it and another part of them sees them as flying off the handle. It's really cool.
>>
>>11134596
*of me sees them
>>
>>11134560
Make sure to do them in production order, not timeline order
>>
>>11134570
I loved 0079, Zeta, and CCA. But ZZ was kind of bad in comparison. I still liked it, but not as much as Victory or the OVAs, or the rest of UC.
>>
I just got CCA(my favorite entry) in the mail today in BD, but I don't feel satisfied at all, what more do I need to buy of Gundam to be satisfied /m/?
>>
>>11134634
Raybans and a blond wig.
>>
I read there was supposed to be a lot of fillers (?) in 0079. What parts are they supposed to be?
>>
>>11134616
I was actually surprised. Of the 4 first Gundam productions, ZZ was actually my favorite, barring the first 17 or so episodes. I really liked each character Based Lino and the mobile suit designs. Zeta was probably my least favorite just because it always felt so angsty. Although both series fit their protagonist's respective personalities pretty well.
>>
Unrelated question somehow but is there a Gundam Game when you can play "old" characters/mechs like Ramba Ral?
What's the general consensus on the Gundam games by the way?
>>
File: 9726-5.jpg (207KB, 770x545px) Image search: [Google]
9726-5.jpg
207KB, 770x545px
>>11134514
This. The unit didn't show all the potential during 0079, but it's basically the same logic in Destiny (Core Splendor) and AGE (AGE-3): mobility (swap damage parts for new parts), smaller target, fast velocity, chance to escape and avoid getting yourself blew if the upper/lower unit got hit.

In general, the original Core Fighter is a very good aircraft: small size, simple transformation, good weapons and classic design. It is still better than many recent fighters.

Classic as fuck.
>>
>>11134651
Gundam vs Zeta Gundam
>>
>>11134643
I expected more from ZZ than I did from Victory. I was surprised at how good it Victory was but got what I expected from ZZ. If I went back and watched it again I would probably like it as much as Victory.
>>
Why was one episode omitted from the official NA release of 0079?
>>
>>11134610
Why not timeline?
It would make more sense plot wise surely.
>>
File: 1388848976390.jpg (69KB, 411x491px) Image search: [Google]
1388848976390.jpg
69KB, 411x491px
Why didn't the Minerva just have three+ core splendors so they could lunch multiple gundams
>>
>>11134685
I think there's one episode where there's a scene of Fraw giving the kids on the White Base a bath and it has nudity with all of them. It's pretty tame but maybe the censors thought it was pedophillia.
>>
>>11134658
>Gundam vs Zeta Gundam
Thanks. Was thinking about a versus game but I'll give it a try, looks cool.
>>
>>11134690
Nah, as he said, I'll do it in diffusion order, because that's how everyone seen it. No other reason, I'm just pretty autistic on that. (you can't begin to imagine the mess when I'm trying to get into a old comic character)
>>
>>11134690
Because every series has to do with the ones made before it. If you watch 0083 before Zeta (Set in 0087) you won't have some information and also the ending won't have as much impact. I guess you could watch 0080 any time after 0079 though. But there must be some kinds of references to other Gundam shows in it too.
>>
>>11134699
kek. The scene was just cute that's it. And even with Frau's nudidty, you can just feel the difference with nowaday's vulgar and hysteric erotic scenes.
>>
>>11134699
Was that one Doan's Island? I thought Tomino wanted it remove because of all that QUALITY and how dumb the episode was.
>>
>>11134699
That wasn't it.
>>11134685
The episode was Doan's Island. It was never dubbed and released in NA because of the sub par animation. They decided it wasn't up to standards and cut it out. It was kind of filler anyway. But in Japan they still include it in recent releases.
>>
>>11134715
Definitely. That's something I kind of miss about older style anime. I'm going in production order and just dreading SEED. I imagine it's going to be everything I hate about anime.
>>
>>11134699
That's not the episode that was skipped, though.
>>
>>11134717
>>11134718
Really? I liked that episode a lot.
>>
Watching 0079 made me realize how samefacey modern animu is especially with female characters. Fraw, Sayla, Mirai and Lalah are all drawn strikingly differently.
>>
>>11134958
Yoshikazu Yasuhiko. he was the character designer for MSG and Zeta, before handing off the reins to Hiroyuki Kitazume who did ZZ and CCA.
>>
>>11134958
Old designs can get pretty same facey. Especially Nagai's women.

And Yasuhiko is a great character designer, so that would be like saying all modern horror movies are the same, why were the 80s horror movie scene so different and great?

I still fucking love 80s horror b-movies though.
>>
>>11135013
>why were the 80s horror movie scene so different and great?
That's a good question and I feel like the answers are really close but I can't find them. I just know they were better. Directors were better, more inventive. I don't think I've seen the birth of a new Cronenberg, Raimi, De Palma, Del Toro, Spielberg, Carpenter, Romero, Lynch...
I mean, Saw is considered a modern classic apparently. That says everything. It's an okay film but far from the geniuses I talked about.

About anime...not sure, but I think that the older times were more about genres that I like. Character designs also. There's probably other things...
>>
>>11135254
>De Palma

To be fair, a lot of his work back then was riffing on Hitchcock's style.
Don't get me wrong, he did it well, but he owed a LOT to Hitch.
>>
>What's the advantage of using the core fighter only instead of using the Gundam directly?

Because it is fast and it can fly. A lot of their fights take place mid air. They don't have time to for Amuro to fall and super jump his way back up when Gou are raining shit on them.
>>
>>11134690
No, that's not how it works. Imagine watching the Star Wars prequels before the original trilogy, you'd have no idea why you should be giving a fuck about certain characters, like Anikin Skywalker, amongst the many other refrences you'd miss out on. They are written with the expectation that you've seen the previous movies. It's the same in any franchise with prequels. The ending of Stardust Memory in particular will severly lack impact if you've not seen Zeta.
>>
>>11134690
Everyone likes to say that Stardust Memory works better after Zeta, since it's a prequel, but just knowing that the year is 0083 (four years after the original series and four years before Zeta), and everything should fall into place if you pay attention to all of the details.
>>
>>11135254
I think it also has to do with the general look-and-feel of the actors and the usage of practical effects instead of cgi (don't quote me on any of this though).
>>
File: GrayMatterPoster.jpg (155KB, 500x742px) Image search: [Google]
GrayMatterPoster.jpg
155KB, 500x742px
>>11135254
"Good" modern horror movies still exist, it's just you're more likely to find those in the foreign and/or indie movie scene.

I've been hearing good things about the adaptation of Stephen King's Grey Matter.
>>
>>11135740
If you watch 0083 before Zeta you will have no idea what Axis is, and who Haman is. Because they don't explain and assume you already know.
>>
>>11135412
>you'd have no idea why you should be giving a fuck about certain characters, like Anikin Skywalker

That's a really bad example, because nothing could make me give a fuck about the prequel characters.
>>
I just started ZZ after finishing Zeta, why does Kamille have brain damage? Lack of oxygen in space or something?
>>
>>11135254
I don't even care about horror but the answer to this is pretty obvious to me. Two words: jump scares. Nobody makes movies or games that build suspense or make you stop and consider the situation at hand. They just try to startle you or gross you out with tons of gore.
>>
>>11137207
Sirocco smacked him with psychic powers to try and take Kamille down with him.
>>
>>11137230
>Nobody makes movies or games that build suspense

Yes they do, you just aren't as likely to find those in mainstream releases. And 70s and 80s horror also relied on gore for the gross out.

Man, I loved the way that the 80s did gore, though.
>>
I'm currently watching through 08th MS Team. After that I think all I have left for notable UC entries is the last episode of Unicorn.
(MSG, 0080, 08th, 0084, Zeta, ZZ, CCA, Unicorn, F91, Victory)
Must say the original series is my favorite, for the non black and white war story, sudden deaths (as opposed to full episode build ups of death tropes) and it feels like so much happens even with slightly fewer episodes than most.
I'm liking 08th so far, and Victory is second favorite.
>>
>>11137423
>Victory is second favorite.
so much shit taste
>>
>>11137701
this coming from a hamanfag?
>>
>>11137716

A Hamanfag using OZC screencaps.
>>
>>11137720
I only used OZCs release because EGs typesetting were bugging me.
>>
>>11135740
As someone who saw Stardust Memory before Zeta, I can say it's easily a bad idea.
The ending is almost completely lost except that Neo Zeon are bad guys.

It was always really stupid that Cartoon Network / Adult Swim ran the OVAs & Movie (Stardust Memory, 8th MS Team, & War in the Pocket) but never did Zeta.
>>
File: 1380776904073.jpg (21KB, 446x336px) Image search: [Google]
1380776904073.jpg
21KB, 446x336px
>>11137716
>not liking haman
>>11137423
>Must say the original series is my favorite
>I'm liking 08th so far, and Victory is second favorite.
>>
>>11134523
Same here. Been a fan of Gundam since catching bits and pieces of Wing and G on Toonami. Hard as shit to find the DVDs without dropping hundreds. Finally figure out torrenting. Now I'm in mech heaven. I got kind of tired of Wing's plot and decided to take a break and watch a few 0079, almost 20 episodes in and I can't stop. Can't fucking wait to watch Zeta.
>>
>>11137806
Guy who is almost never in Gundam threads here.
I will have to look around for you, i'm looking forward to your reaction during and after zeta.
>>
>>11134958
If you think 0079 has a lot of sameface, wait 'til you get to SEED.
>>
>>11137823
He's saying the opposite.
>>
>>11137829
Shit, I need another cup of coffee.
>>
Deleted the thread I made since I didn't notice there was already a 0079 thread.
Anyway I'm confused about Char's character motivations during the last episode.From pic related is seems like since Char was fighting for Zeon he wanted to stop the age of Newtypes from happening, despite being hyped over Newtypes earlier with Lala.
I get that Char was suspicious of that other Newtype who said he wanted to attain peace for all of his kind earlier but I don't see why he'd be so against Newtypes.
Why is end of UC 0079 Char so mysterious?
>>
>>11138136
The way I see it is he wanted an age of actual Newtypes who can understand each other, not idealized tools of war like the Zeon wanted.
>>
>>11137423
>sudden deaths (as opposed to full episode build ups of death tropes)
What?
Every character who died had death flags the entire episode.
The only exceptions were Ramba Ral, the Zabi family, Mquve, and Lala.
Every Federation death had foreshadowing the entire episode like Ryu teaching the crew life lessons.
>>
>>11138157
I figured that but this is before he decides to kill Kycillia.
During this point Amuro was trying to get him to kill her since he thought Char should know that the Zabi family was their true enemy, but Char was just trying to get Amuro to join Zeon with him.
The only way it makes sense is if he was thinking of using the war to awaken more Newtypes like Lala, and then changing sides to destroy Zeon.
>>
>>11134696
Impulse was a test unit as was the Minerva it's self. It was originally supposed to carry multiple Gundams but someone stole them
>>
Char downed white base in a Dopp
>>
>>11134514
Oh shit you were in my everyday E3 thread. How about that.
Shit that doesn't matter but makes me smile for some reason
>>
>>11135254
There is no heart in the movies. They're focused grouped into oblivion, so nothing original sneaks through, then when it by some miracle does it opens a flood gate. Look at Pacific Rim, it was a random crap shoot, it did well and suddenly Godzilla and we'll see more of this shit until it becomes stale.

>>11135412
Anakin and Obi Wan are the main characters of the prequels, you like them as much as any others. I would say Prequel Obi Wan is ten times the character he is in New Hope, where he is entirely forgettable before his death scene and 2 one liners.

>>11137154
They're fine summer movies. The same the original star wars were.

>>11135254
Saw is a good film, the problem is it went into shitty B movie territory after the first. Same as all major horror movies do.
>>
>>11137819
I'm not that guy, but I'm currently watching Zeta for the first time and my current reaction is "Why is everybody hitting Kamille so much?" I busted a gut when Kamille called Stephanie a female Wang.
>>
>>11138398
Wong rather
>>
>>11138267
>They're fine summer movies. The same the original star wars were.
Whoa-hoa-hoa-HOA there, big guy.
Let's not say anything we won't be able to take back, alright?
>>
>>11138414
I think the prequels are better films than the original trilogy is. How is that? They're better paced, more interesting and overall just better films. I can respect the model making skill that went into it, but other than that, the original trilogy has not aged well and they're pure nostalgia at this point.
>>
>>11138433
>They're better paced, more interesting and overall just better films. I can respect the model making skill that went into it, but other than that, the original trilogy has not aged well and they're pure nostalgia at this point.

So they're better because they're newer and hip and anybody born in the late nineties to early noughties can't bring themselves to pay attention, I guess.

Unless you're willing to offer a deeper explanation beyond vague statements.
>>
>>11138433

Not a single opinion presented in this post is correct.
>>
>>11138433
>They're better paced, more interesting and overall just better films.
Jar Jar Binks. I can accept that you like them more and will even defend your opinion, but let's not be intellectually dishonest here. Everything surrounding those movies is subpar even in their own right. A good example is the Yoda-Palpatine duel in episode 3- it's fast and exciting for the first minute, but then it devolves into kamehamehas and drags on for another several minutes, giving you enough time to look back on how nonsensical the actual swordfighting part actually was. Everything in the prequels is like this.
>>
File: hiding.jpg (175KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
hiding.jpg
175KB, 640x480px
>>11138433
>>
>>11138398
>Why is everybody hitting Kamille so much?
He has to take a few lumps before he can become a man.
>>
>>11138485
Amuro took a few lumps before he became a man.

Kamille is something else entirely.

Bright just brought it back home for me though after Kamille started shit on the bridge.
>>
>>11138467
And all the light saber fighting in the original trilogy looks like two untrained people waving sticks at each other. Compare any fight in the original trilogy to the Obi Wan VS Anakin fight.
>>
>>11138559

Boy, CGI acrobatics and green screen sure are more interesting.

I suppose flashy flips and stupid saber spins are better than the raw savagery of Luke's final fight with Vader, but whatever.
>>
>>11138559
You mean the space lava fight where a man chokes out his own wife in a fit of psychic rage before jumping headfirst into a laser sword and being turned into a pile of crispy stumps?

Fucking Han Solo vs Tauntaun Corpse is more compelling than that.
>>
>>11138581
You're making excuses for poor quality fight scenes. It is just two people swinging sticks at each other like Children. Obi Wan and Vader isn't any better. Just accept it, the original trilogy aged poorly, only the space battles aged well and that's because the models were so good.

I never said the new trilogy was perfect, it's flawed as fuck. But it's a better set of movies than the originals are by this point. Star wars became mediocre but it's own success, if every 80's film is just a star wars knock off, Star wars just isn't special any more.
>>
File: Epic-Lightsaber-Battle.gif (794KB, 720x306px) Image search: [Google]
Epic-Lightsaber-Battle.gif
794KB, 720x306px
unce unce unce unce unce
unce unce unce unce unce
unce unce unce unce unce
unce unce unce unce unce
unce unce unce unce unce
>>
>>11138433
My big problem is the huge missed opportunity in the second film.

They have this idea that Dooku may have left the jedi order because the idea of a government which holds control with a group of super powered magic knights is not very democratic. Dooku creates a clone army as a way of giving a means for the republic to cast off the uncertain mysticism and black and white morality of the Jedi Order. Dooku puts this to Obi Wan, (Dooku having trained obi wans master, and known liberal Qui Gon) and Obi Wan completely ignores it.

This whole grey morality thing which could have made things so much of a better series as a whole, is swept away. Dooku could have been a character who turned to the darkside not out of power lust, but out of a desire to liberate the senate from jedi influence. (magic space knights are an influence... even if they say they aren't. Having an army of religious zealots inforce your laws isn't good democracy...)

They missed any chance to give a deeper element to the series, instead sticking by black and white morality, for ease of story telling. It's a missed opportunity to turn a franchise into something more narratively deep than it was. Instead, it didn't. It was three movies of weak story telling, relying on thinly veiled racist stereotypes for characterisation, and bad teen angst character development worthy of a YA Novel series.

The prequels had a chance to modernise not just the visuals of Star Wars, but the story telling. The original trilogy is a product of the time, simply story living off old hollywood values. Where was our Non-linear story telling, neo noir, true spirit of the new millenium films...
>>
>>11138758
>This whole grey morality thing which could have made things so much of a better series as a whole, is swept away.
Lucas made the prequels under the assertion that there is no grayness in the Force. It's clean-cut black and white, and the Jedi were always objectively correct. This is canon and anything that disagrees with it is not.

The weird thing is that the original movies did hint at these questions of morality, particularly with Vader still being capable of redemption. It's almost like Lucas bought into the idea that "kids are stupid" that pervades modern media- though ostensibly made for the same audience, you won't find a fraction of the slapstick shit Episode I is full of in any of the first three movies. Even Ewoks just straight up murder a whole ton of Stormtroopers.
>>
File: i am a jedi knight.jpg (141KB, 1259x967px) Image search: [Google]
i am a jedi knight.jpg
141KB, 1259x967px
Well this thread certainly went places.
>>
>>11138790
Hey, man, this 'aint a V Gundam thread. This is for 0079 and also Star Wars.
>>
File: _1401290641.jpg (164KB, 600x462px) Image search: [Google]
_1401290641.jpg
164KB, 600x462px
>>11138798
I'm not really complaining or anything. It real fine by me that a SW discussion's going on even if there's some traces of a debate.
>>
>>11137767
>It was always really stupid that Cartoon Network / Adult Swim ran the OVAs & Movie (Stardust Memory, 8th MS Team, & War in the Pocket) but never did Zeta.

In all fairness, Bandai in general fucked up with this by bringing the OVAs over in the very first wave and then dragging their feet as long as they did on Zeta.
>>
>>11138777
The Gunguns and Ewoks are about on par with each other. I see no problem with them personally.

My Ex GF was obsessed with Star wars, I know a lot about the expanded universe and all that shit and it is territory they should of explored. But on a purely "which is a better set of films to watch", the new trilogy just holds up better. Sure it's a CGI fest and has problems with poor writing for Anakin and Padme. But Princess Leia is a dull character, Han is supposed to be cool but doesn't do much at all and Luke is a poor excuse for a Jedi if there ever was one. He was little more than a Padawan fighting an old broken man in a robot suit.
>>
>>11138838
>and Luke is a poor excuse for a Jedi if there ever was one

Eh. I'd still take him over the sulky, petulant brat his father was most of the time.
>>
>>11138844
Anakin is much better in the clone wars. He isn't moping around in fields with Padme and is instead actually leading the fight and trying to make a different. He really grows in the series, shame episode 3 retcons any changes they made in him.
>>
>>11138838
You're saying that Princess Leia is dull and that Han's not cool, while cheering for, like... Qui Gon Jin. Or Mace Windu, the biggest waste of Samuel L Jackson I've ever seen. Or even Anakin and Padme.
The prequels might have all the crazy visual effects and fight scenes that go on so long they basically don't even matter, but that doesn't change the fact that the plots are mostly chained-together nonsense about a bunch of boring, exceedingly flat characters with boring TV soap opera-style camera work. The original Star Wars trilogy might be getting old, but you can't seriously be saying that you prefer Anakin's non-growth which you're basing on an expanded universe cartoon to Luke Skywalker, who actually has, like, an arc, inner conflict, and all that other stuff? Just because he doesn't do backflips with a five-pronged lightsaber, or something?
>>
>>11138635
You mean it looks like the fight choreographer for the originals actually knew a bit of kendo, right?
>>
>>11138856
Having an entirely different creative staff will do that.

I'll agree Clone Wars is a pretty solid series, but that doesn't make the movies any better. If anything, it makes me look at the movies and wonder what the fuck happened?
>>
Going to watch the TV series soon, I heard there are some really bad episodes in it and was wondering which ones I should skip.
>>
>>11138882
You're cherry picking bad characters, where as I'm naming the main cast. Qui Gon sucks, as does Anakin, but Obi Wan is a solid character in the prequels.

Luke isn't an interesting character to me. I find him annoying and bland. He has no character after the first movie and he is annoying in that one.

Leia is a generic bitchy 80's woman. She just isn't interesting.

Han is a bland generic 80's action hero, AKA Harrison Ford.

Chewie is the best of the original cast.

I think the original films are bad dude. It's fine to like them, but another set of films being bad also doesn't change that. I can like something and dislike something else without the two being in direct relation.
>>
>>11138923
Don't skip episodes.
>>
>>11138923
Rule 1: Never skip episodes
Rule 2: Never believe anything the internet says
>>
>>11138923

Anyone worth their salt watches all the TV episodes
>>
>>11138923
Example. If you skip Doan's Island, not only will you miss some amazing MS martial arts that lead to Doan having G-Gundam Hyper Mode in various games, but a really good story section where Amuro has his first encounter with a member of Zeon and we realize he has an absolutely childish concept of them despite what we may have thought.
>>
File: kaisip.png (263KB, 636x480px) Image search: [Google]
kaisip.png
263KB, 636x480px
>>11138940
>>
File: garada heh.jpg (57KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
garada heh.jpg
57KB, 300x300px
>>11138940
>>
>>11138924
Obi Wan being Ewan is probably the only correct choice made in the entire thing, and he's still struggling to break his character out of the awful shot/reverse shot filming, responding to things that aren't there and trying to emote through the awful dialogue.

The prequels aren't just disliked, they're objectively poorly made films. Yes, that can happen. You can go through with the big do's and don'ts of filming and check off all manner of negative shit.

I don't like always bringing them up for this cause it almost feels like a cop out, but the failing is too grand and too complex to really explain just with text. Watch the Plinkett reviews. Same with Indiana Jones 4, it wasn't just disliked, it actually went straight against a lot of basic filming rules and the nature of the series. You can measure this kind of thing very cleanly with knowledge about film making like the RLM guys have.
>>
>>11139108
>Watch the Plinkett reviews
THIS. Dude plays a creepy ass murderous old man, but what he says in his reviews is legit. The dude broke down exactly what makes the prequels so bad, not just as SW films, but as actual movies.
>>
>>11138635

>poor quality fight scenes

Well, if fancy CGI effects and flowery acrobatics make a fight scene, disregarding the fact that the scenes we got actually looked like they were out of a kendo session with their pacing, so evidently the choreographers knew something about sword fighting, the three actors who wielded lightsabers and fought with them across the original trilogy were Alec Guinness, in his early sixties at the time of filming, David Prowse, who was younger but encumbered by Vader's suit, and Mark Hamill, who was about the only one out of them who could be considered spry at the time. It was hardly as though you were going to have fancy flips and twirls and pirouettes all over the place.
>>
File: 1396432095182.jpg (198KB, 609x760px) Image search: [Google]
1396432095182.jpg
198KB, 609x760px
>>11138940
I agree.
>>
>>11138635
>poor quality fight scenes

Watch some Kurosawa films.
You'll see where the fight scenes are coming from a lot more clearly.
>>
File: tapping.gif (3MB, 200x160px) Image search: [Google]
tapping.gif
3MB, 200x160px
>>11138940
>>
>>11139149
>>11139212
Realism doesn't equal entertaining. You're watching space teddy bears fighting men in plastic armour with laser guns. If you want realism go watch the Olympics, I want entertaining movies.

>>11139108
Being poorly made doesn't mean they're not enjoyable to watch as a Saturday afternoon pop corn flick. Which is all Star wars is except nostalgia.
>>
File: vader.jpg (71KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
vader.jpg
71KB, 620x387px
>>11139149
>David Prowse, who was younger but encumbered by Vader's suit
Incorrect. The fight scenes for Vader were actually done by Bob Anderson. He was a professional fencer, but couldn't see shit out of that helmet so the Vader fights were just Bob holding out his lightsaber for Mark Hamill or Alec Guiness to hit, because if he swung at them he might poke them in the eye.
It did kinda make it look like Vader was precognitively blocking, but it was just because he was only holding his saber out as a target for the other guy to hit.
>>
>>11138635
>But it's a better set of movies than the originals are by this point

Lol no, stop watching chinese cartoons and get some fucking adult taste so you won't look this retarded in real life.
>>
>>11139351
>I'm obsessed by films I watched in my childhood
>"GROW UP!"

Ah 4chan.
>>
>>11139300
Now you're just a troll.
>>
File: 1396643374131.gif (2MB, 325x244px) Image search: [Google]
1396643374131.gif
2MB, 325x244px
>>11139366

The best part of it is he can't or won't even see the irony of it
>>
>>11139366
>I don't understand what makes a good movie and what makes a soap opera with special effects

Again, lay down the chinese shit and go watch some entry level classics and you'll understand why anyone with a taste dislikes the prequel trilogy and likes the original or at least finds it decent.

Original series is properly directed, has decent, not outstanding but decent dialogues, charming characters and good sound direction.
Prequel series has wooden acting, more focus on the shitty CGI than the direction, lunatic characterization and failed humor all over the place, also absurd plot points like Jar Jar Binks dooming the galaxy by trusting Palpatine.

This is due to Lucas having its own way with them instead of being limited by more experienced people like in the first and the second.
The other shitty Star Wars is the third one, and in fact Lucas was able to do it exactly like he wanted it to be, Ewok included.
Prequel trilogy is objectively worse than the original, just how SEED is objectively worse than 0079 despite having better(?) technology.
>>
>>11139432
>I'm obsessed with something I saw in my childhood so I can't properly evaluate it, but if you take my $59.99 course, I will teach you how to look at it in a bullshit way too! Call now only $59.99 and you too can talk out your ass!

SEED is enjoyable, 0079 is enjoyable. They're just different and you fail to understand that you are an artfag riding nostalgia like a flaming cock at a gang bang.
>>
>>11139450

Are you seriously going full on Freshman Relativist
>>
File: chewbaccadefence.jpg (100KB, 500x368px) Image search: [Google]
chewbaccadefence.jpg
100KB, 500x368px
>>11139432
>Lucas was able to do it exactly like he wanted it to be, Ewok included.
Incorrect. Endor was originally supposed to be the Wookie homeworld, but in Hollywood it's a lot easier to find a shitload of midgets than a shitload of 7-foot people like Peter Mayhew, so the giant apes became teddy-bears.
Wookie = wok * e = e * wok = Ewok

That's why early fluff materials said Chewie was from Endor. The Wookie battle in Ep 3 is what George wanted ROTJ to have, but he made do with midgets instead.
>>
>>11138231
You and I both know Durandal was just an asshole that didn't want to send more of those things.

The Minerva had a crap ton of to and bottom parts.
>>
>>11139468
I'm calling you an artfag. :)
>>
>>11139450
>implying I saw Star Wars in my childhood
>implying my childhood wasn't cartoons and old anime
>implying you still know shit about movies

I post arguments, you post bullshit.
You say stupid shit like "it's enjoyable!" "it's FUN!" "it's MEANT to be corny like the originals!" without actually explaining why focusing half a movie on Jar Jar Binks is a good idea, why having a romance start between a 13 years old girl and a 8 years old kid is a good idea, why having Jack Lloyd and focusing the other half of the movie on him and PODRACING is a good fucking idea, why having Yoda jumping around like the spastic son of Kermit is a good idea, why having actors standing still and doing their lines like it's fucking Ugly Betty is a good idea, making Anakin look like a creepy stalker rather than a romantic lover is a good idea, why having Padme "die because she lost the will to live" is a good idea, why ignoring how psychology works is a good idea.

Because that's what these movies are apart from the shittastic coreography of ballerinas with glowing sticks and gungan throwing balls at stupid robots.
>>
>>11139491

I'm not even that anon who has been arguing the entire time, but the idea of WELL IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW YOU SEE IT!! is pretty retarded
>>
>>11139468
Is that how it's called not comparing every single thing regardless of if they are even comparable?
>>
>>11138940
A friend of mine has seen, in order Gundam Wing, Gundam Seed Destiny, Gundam Seed, Gundam Unicorn and Gunpla Build Fighters. Gundam Unicorn peaked his interest in the UC continuity, and knowing him and his level of interest, I recommended he just do the movies. He's in a rush to get to Zeta anyway, I think he just wants context for Unicorn more than anything.
>>
>>11139515
>missing the joke this hard

>>11139491
>artfag

that is the most meaningless term I have ever seen
>>
>>11139499
And they're still more entertaining than the originals.

Deal with it.

>>11139517
Newfag
>>
>>11139520

Gee sport, pretty neat that you like Jarjar and the funny talking robots, but shouldn't you be finishing up that algrebra homework :^)
>>
>>11139527
Because C3P0 doesn't talk funny.
>>
>>11139542
"kinda faggy" is a far cry from "SHO NUFF MASSA JEDIS BIX NOOD"
>>
>>11139549
They're both comic relief characters who are annoying as fuck.
>>
>>11139300
>Not seeing entertainment in the kendo style of fighting.

You're missing where the entertainment factor is supposed to be.

This isn't about looking fancy. It's about the emotion in the duelists. Again, look at the scene in Return of the Jedi when Luke lets his anger slip against Vader.
There's not supposed to be anything fluid or beautiful about it - it's Luke completely rage-dumping on his father.
The scene conveys that well.

By comparison, the Obi-Wan vs Anakin duel, a fight that should be exuding raw anger and a shitload of bitterness, feels astonishingly flat.
All the elaborate choreography really undermines what should be the most raw, emotional part of the prequel saga.

Given the choice, I'd take something I can get invested in over something that just looks pretty.
>>
>>11139664
Luke flails at Vader like a retard, he could have done that at the start of the film.

Who would have guessed that two Jedi who have to stay in control of their emotions stay in control of their emotions.
>>
>>11138882
Nah, he's just 12.
>>
File: Sieg Zeon.png (97KB, 1282x490px) Image search: [Google]
Sieg Zeon.png
97KB, 1282x490px
No wonder Zeon has so many supporters with this kind of marketing.
>>
>>11139703
That's the thing: from the character's actions it really doesn't seem like they stay in control of their actions. The lines are delivered in standard Hollywood yelling. The fight just doesn't match them, which is weird.

It was also disappointing that they wasted the potential that the fight was supposed to be a conflict of ideals. It would have been so easy to have Anakin's style gradually become more inventive and fluid, compared to Obi-Wan's adherence to perfect stances, or something like that. Instead you get a bunch of budget and attention paid to a fight that doesn't add anything to the story beyond the fact that it happened.
>>
>>11140202
>stay in control of their emotions*
>>
I always thought it had something to do with not wanting to throw the Gundam at everything due to possible damages and wasted ammo.
>>
>>11139664
You can't feel the unbridled emotion contained in seven minutes of laser ballet?
>>
>>11140202
Also by the same token you could say that the emotionless half-hour fight scene between Anakin and Obi-Wan also could have been at the start of the movie without any difference, so there's that as well.
>>
>>11138923
I'm still watching it and I'm pretty glad I didn't skip any episodes. I didn't really see anything that would be worth qualifying "filler" episode in the bad way you can think about (the kind of useless fillre you can see in big shonen and such)
>>
>>11134653
remember victory
>>
>>11138559
>OT fights

Actual realistic coreography and emotion put into it. You can tell diffrences between Luke and Vader's style

>PT fights

Overly coreographed dancing with no emtion put into it. Drags out for too long

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw
>>
>>11139212
>Kurosawa
MAH
NIGGA
>>
>>11134509
Toys
Stock Footage
You get the picture.
>>
>>11150079
>has never played Encounters in Space
because if you did then you would know the difference between using the core fighter and the Gundam. trade in your 360/xbone for a ps2.
>>
So let me get this straight, it's flat out said that Char got a demotion after Garma died on his watch. As a result, he's transferred the Mad Angler squadron. But it turns out he's commander of the Mad Angler squadron has a bunch of subs at his command, along with a ton of specialty mobile suits (and awesome ones at that. Only thing cooler than a Gogg is a Hygogg), a lot of men, and ever child spies. Before he had one cruiser and like two or three zakus minus his fancy custom one.

Do spacenoids have a different definition of what a demotion means?
>>
>>11150124
Boone's aqua squadron likes Char. That's why they enjoy doing stuff for him. He is the Red Comet. It's an honor to fight alongside Char. and with Char's help they had a chance to get the big prize and take down the Gundam.

The spy network with Miharu is separate from Char. The Zabis thought they demoted Char to the 'lowly' aqua squadron, but Boone welcomes him because he looks up to Char and is glad to have him join. They were already in that region doing their thing and Char was sent there to them.

so in a way the Zabis "demotion" backfires on them because of Char's suave personality.
>>
>>11150098
A game which came out over 20 years after MSG is supposed to justify the many boneheaded decisions to send out the Core Fighter in that series? What? Why are you bringing games into this in the first place? I recognize that the Core Fighter had some uses, basically as the only aerial support they had outside of White Base itself, but that doesn't absolve it of the countless egregious uses of the thing. Also the only Xbox I've ever owned and played is the original, because in all of Sega's infinitely baffling wisdom they decided to drop a shitload of exellent games onto it.
>>
>>11150250
it's because the answer was already stated in the first post. mobility. it's easier to launch a plane instead of the whole mobile suit. the core fighters is actually effective that's why the Gundam was designed that way. so you can use both depending on the situation. you would experience this yourself if you played EIS. taking down Zakus with a core fighter. and obviously the core fighter is going to play a vital major role later at the end of A Baoa Qu. Thanks to the core fighter Amuro is able to escape and survive.
>>
>>11150329
the plane inside is the real reason why the RX-78 is so strong. U.C. was making the transition from conventional weapons like fighters and tanks to mobile suits. IGLOO expands on this by showing how certain weapons (and the people that specialize in operating them) became obsolete after Mobile Suits. like that gunner guy from the first episode and tank operators.
>>
>>11150124
In retrospect, Char didn't really think things out through, huh? He killed Garma, whoop dee doo, now he gets demoted and pushed far far away from the front lines. Only reason he still has any clout is his fame and the fact that Kycilia still thought she could use him

Come to think of it, Char was flying by the seat of his pants the entirety of 0079 huh?
>>
>>11134554
What bugs me about ZZ even more, is that for some reason, they always sent out Core Base, Core Top and a Core Fighter. Even though both Base and Top already have Core Fighters. It makes me cringe when a Core Fighter disconnects from the Core Base and another reconnects to the EXACT. SAME. PLACE. a few seconds after. What the fuck, Argama crew?
>>
>>11150891
Because Judau can't form the ZZ gundam in his neo core fighter if there's already a neo core fighter occupying the docking space.

and to the OP, it's because the White Base was horribly underequipped for combat, aside from the Gundam Guncannon and Guntank, the Core Fighters were all they had up until the G-Fighter/Core Booster, and even then they never got more suits, aside from the universe where the Guncannon replaced the Guntank, and that's not a net gain.
>>
>>11150892
>Because Judau can't form the ZZ gundam in his neo core fighter if there's already a neo core fighter occupying the docking space.
Then why not simply send out Judau in Core Base and someone else in Core Top, cutting the transformation time?
>>
>>11150897
Because transformation time = stock footage = less to draw = less money to pay artsits
>>
>>11150897
Because then there'd only be two fighters out there, the Core Top and Core Base, as opposed to three fighters, the Core Top, the Neo Core Fighter, and the Core Base.

Sure the Neo Core Fighter is worthless, but they still count it, and with power levels all over the place in ZZ, anything helps, especially after the Arghama lost nearly everything in Z Gundam.
>>
>>11150899
If they wanted more fighters on the battlefield, they could still send an additional one, just piloted by someone else and not playing a role in the ZZ transformation. I know, I'm nitpicking, but it simply looks terribly silly when they transform and switch the Core Fighters for seemingly no reason.
>>
>>11138482
jiiiii~
>>
>>11134710
>>11134711
>>11135740
While this is mostly correct, you can watch War In The Pocket immediately after 0079. Unlike other OVA series, there's nothing in the plot that ties it to the other productions.
It's, basically, the best part of the franchise. Putting it on hold because of bullshit like "production order" is stupid. Watch it as soon as you finish 0079.
>>
>>11155017
nah, the last line in 0080 about there being another war has more impact if you go in production order. and a good reason to go in production order is to see the animation improve with each entry. so it's less jarring than going back and forth.
>>
>>11155124
>nah, the last line in 0080 about there being another war has more impact if you go in production order.
Not a big loss, actually. And it's not like people don't know about the UC's history of warfare at this point.

>and a good reason to go in production order is to see the animation improve with each entry. so it's less jarring than going back and forth.
As I said, that's the only exception to break the "production order". And besides, OVAs and movies will almost always have better animation than any TV series, so the jarringness will still be there.
>>
>>11145846
That video is fucking brilliant
>>
>>11134560
Original is great, Zeta seems like a step down in almodt all aspects imo.
>>
>>11138433
I can't even imagine someone loving these movies, they're so bland in every way, LET'S PUT TONS OF SHIT IN EVERY SCENE ARE YOU EXCITED YET? LOOK AT ALL THIS CGI! Your taste is objectively shit, and this is coming from someone who didn't even like SW until ~2 years ago when I marathoned the original movies properly and saw how genius they are, every scene in those movies is brilliant with the possible exception of the big battle in 3. Characters are charming and relatable, effects are just perfect (and ruined with every further "improvement" by the disgusting Jew).
>>
>>11150870
yeah it is mainly thanks to Kycilla that Char is able to stay involved in the war. and look how he ends up repaying her. It's almost like he felt obligated to kill her because she was a Zabi and the opportunity conveniently presented itself.
>>11155017
>no amuro or char
>best
it's a neat side-story but not the best.
the best part of 0080 isn't the actual OVA, it's the MS Era photobook and the Izubuchi designs which you can get in one his artbooks.
>>
>>11138136
Char's motivation from the beginning was to fuck over all the Zabi family since they murdered his father Zeon Zum Deikun. He also believes in his fathers vision of Newtypes living in space, free from the Earth. As for his rivalry with Amuro, it seemed to have come out of left field for him. Their dispute over Lalah really cemented his animosity towards Amuro.
>>
>>11145846
As a kid I thought that fight was cool (I guess it's because of the noises and all the flashing lights). Now I see it's dumb.
>>
>>11145846
I hate the prequels as much as the next guy but this video is a bit unfair. When you slow down the action and specifically point out the coreography, of course it's going to look bad. You can do this with most action movies. It's supposed to look good in motion where you don't have enough time to really process every move and analyze it.
Thread posts: 174
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.