[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Old/obscure /m/-related novels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 10

File: sq novel cover.jpg (457KB, 833x1353px) Image search: [Google]
sq novel cover.jpg
457KB, 833x1353px
I've been converting some of my old, out of print /m/ and general scifi books to eBooks and it got me wondering about how many folks on /m/ even have stuff like pic related. Feels like stuff is getting harder and harder to find, even with sites like Amazon and eBay around, because there's no digital versions of these. Once those print copies are gone, these books might as well not exist.

Here's my list:
-seaQuest DSV novels 1 & 2
-Independence Day: Silent Zone & War in the Desert
-Stargate movie novel, Rebellion, Retribution, and Reconnisance
-Event Horizon
-Pitch Black
-Terminator 1 & 2
-Titan A.E.
-Battlestar Galactica: The Cylon's Secret
-Project Orion (proofing copy)
-The Black Hole (the Disney movie)
-Some Aliens/Predator stuff
-Gundam Wing Technical manual (posted scans from it a while back)

If you guys want, I'll upload some stuff for you.
>>
>>10988347

>Gundam Wing Technical manual

Yes please
>>
>No Starship Troopers
Are you even trying
>>
File: 1399461727975.png (156KB, 394x383px) Image search: [Google]
1399461727975.png
156KB, 394x383px
>>10988347
SeaQuest novels are a thing that exists!?
>>
>>10988432
I do have Starship Troopers, but it's not really obscure, so I didn't put it on the list.

>>10988359
I haven't completely scanned that one, just the history stuff in the back. I might be able to do the rest in non-shit quality, but I can't guarantee it without debinding the book. If you just want the stuff in the back, I can zip up my existing scans of that stuff. Most of the art can be obtained from the Japanese equivalent book.

>>10988445
Yeah, there were three of them, with the third being S2 level shit and the second one kind of going there in the back half. I've converted the first one (complete with concept art) into an ePub and am close to finished on the second.
>>
File: 1399073242625.jpg (50KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1399073242625.jpg
50KB, 1280x720px
>>10988496
>I've converted the first one (complete with concept art) into an ePub

Please post it. Please.
>>
>>10988529
Alright, I'm uploading it now, but until then, here's an ePub of Event Horizon for anyone who wants it: http://www.mediafire.com/download/23gqj2o7bpa6b1e/Event_Horizon.rar
>>
How about this for obscure, there are 2 books based on the series Lexx.

They were only ever printed in German.

Lexx - Rebellen der Galaxis and Lexx - Supernova both by by Rolf Gieser.
>>
>>10988713
Thanks
>>
>>10988347
>-seaQuest DSV novels 1 & 2
I swear that I'm probably the only seaQuest fan on /m/ but I wouldn't mind if you upload these. I think I read the second novel years ago (It's called 'Fire Down Below' right?) but I've completely forgotten about what it was about.

>-Stargate movie novel, Rebellion, Retribution, and Reconnisance
Oh, are these the novels that follow on directly from the movie (made before SG1)? I've heard that they were actually pretty good.

BTW, you have any Babylon 5 stuff?
>>
>>10988978
>I swear that I'm probably the only seaQuest fan on /m/ but I wouldn't mind if you upload these. I think I read the second novel years ago (It's called 'Fire Down Below' right?) but I've completely forgotten about what it was about.
You are one word off - it's just Fire Below. I have to do a few more chapters and then validate it all before I finalize that ePub for upload.

Mediafire is being a bitch right now, so I'm registering for Mega right now to upload the first seaQuest novel (which is huge filesize-wise due to the art).
>>
Okay, here's seaQuest novel 1: https://mega.co.nz/#!YE1ihARB!wjZe-j79pv8T61Ou-goJh7QaXzBMW-VEiDwjkgIaOsI

Let me know if there are any problems with the download.

I'm also working on a Stargate Rebellion ePub that should be done in like a day, since it seems like it's all edited, just not compiled.
>>
>>10989035
Guy who asked, here. Thank you so much.
>>
>>10988998
>Mediafire is being a bitch right now, so I'm registering for Mega right now to upload the first seaQuest novel (which is huge filesize-wise due to the art).

Art? What kind of art?
>>
>>10989084
Concept art of vehicles on the show.

Anyway, if anyone wants one of the books in my collection scanned & uploaded, besides the Gundam Wing Tech Manual, seaQuest novel 2, and Stargate Rebellion, let me know. I might make this into a thing.
>>
>>10989223
Request Titan A.E.
>>
>>10990246
I'll get on it as soon as I finish seaQuest: The Fire Below.
>>
>>10988347
Thanks, man! I am *very* interested in the Independence Day novels, I always wanted to read em. Link us up?
>>
>>10988347
>-Battlestar Galactica: The Cylon's Secret

Is this oBSG or nBSG?
>>
>>10990969
Gotta make the eBooks from scratch, so it might take a while.

>>10990989
nBSG, but written by someone who thought nBSG had a lot of oBSG tech. That or it was an old manuscript for an oBSG novel that got hastily revised into an nBSG story.
>>
>>10988347
>seaQuest DSV
>Dat time-travel two-parter in which humanity was reduced to Neets playing mech videya

best fucking future ever.
>>
>>10989035
Thanks anon! Had to dl a reader as this will be the second book I've read on the computer after 'Flowers for Algernon' in .doc format. But the file seems to be working great.
>>
Stargate movie novelization:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/d5qtq8cxi44d1i2/Stargate.epub

Stargate: Rebellion:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/sa7ipqdgx3n3ykx/Stargate_Rebellion.epub
>>
OP here, should have seaQuest novel 2 done sometime this evening.
>>
>>10992237
even if I'm not personally interested in the books so far this is cool
>>
Okay, here's seaQuest DSV book 2, a bit earlier than I expected: http://www.mediafire.com/download/5fb3dlxm1eoy34v/seaQuest_DSV__Fire_Below.epub

>>10992260
>even if I'm not personally interested in the books so far this is cool
So... what would you be interested in? Titan AE or my Project Orion book?

BTW, did anyone know there was a PC and PS1 game for Titan A.E?
>>
>>10992529
nah don't worry about me
I'm not very interested in adaptations.

It's cool you're doing it, though.
>>
Okay, gonna start working on Titan AE tomorrow. I'm gonna bump this thread a few times throughout the day to allow people to find the uploads.
>>
File: Titan AE prequels.jpg (620KB, 1096x1361px) Image search: [Google]
Titan AE prequels.jpg
620KB, 1096x1361px
Huh, there were prequel novels, but I dunno if these got cancelled like the game was.
>>
Bump for later links
>>
Made some good progress on Titan AE, but I'm going to be playing golf and experimenting with a WYSIWYG HTML editor tomorrow, so I dunno how much I'll get done.

>>10997755
Thanks for the bump.
>>
>>10998766
keep up the good work
>>
OP here with good news and bad news.

The good news is that the WYSIWYG HTML editor works really well at capturing formatting.

The bad news is that the way it does that makes for shit HTML coding, so my production pipeline is more complicated now, since I have to strip the unnecessary stuff.
>>
File: robotech-movie.jpg (59KB, 500x437px) Image search: [Google]
robotech-movie.jpg
59KB, 500x437px
anybody read the Robotech novels released back in the 80s? i heard they were much better than the show and even the original Macross series.
>>
OP here, gonna turn into a namefag for this and future threads to avoid tons of "OP here" posts.

Doing good progress on Titan AE, and I managed to buy Stargate Retaliation for free thanks to a gift card (it won't get to me quickly so I'll do something else after Titan). Might reorganize my eBook uploads before I do more threads on this subject.
>>
I am 50% done with scanning Titan AE and converting the chapters into HTML. If I can keep up this pace, I should have the ePub version done by Monday or Tuesday.

>>11000586
I've read some of them. They benefited a lot from being written after the dub scripts were done, with a lot of input from Macek, but they go into some crazy ass 1970s/Star Wars shit as they go along. IIRC, there's a big file with all of them in ePub format floating around somewhere.
>>
>>11000586
>i heard they were much better than the show and even the original Macross series.

b8
>>
>>11000586
It comes and goes. Some of it is awesome, like the story of Roy hijacking the prototype VF during development and getting it damaged mid-transform and having to pilot it all the way back stuck in what would later be known as Guardian (Gerwalk) Mode. Some was really neat concept, like the time warp thing and Zor being Minmay's son so the full (envisioned) 365 episode series would "end" with Zor sending the battle fortress to earth, basically making the show a year-round time loop.

Some of it was fanfiction explanations for questions the original series glossed over, like "how do you control all the fingers with just one yoke?" being explained by psycommu systems in VF pilots' helmets or the early prototype Cyclones (MOSPEADA) being based on the Zentradi's Nousjadeul Ger power armor.

But then some of it was just retarded, like Captain K'hrrrk of the N'trpriz not being able to correctly recite the self-destruct-cancellation code in time.

If you're not a Macross purist, I'd say they're worth reading but be advised that shit occasionally gets EXTREMELY stupid.
>>
I'm awake, time to see how many chapters I can scan/convert to HTML before I get dragged to church.
>>
Bump for Titan
>>
Titan AE status report:
Due to family dickery, including an hours long trip to Ikea, I only just now managed to wrap up conversion of a full eight chapters. I probably won't be able to finish the digitization of the book, validating all the HTML, and publishing the ePub until Tuesday, barring some luck and me maintaining a good pace.

Stargate Retaliation has started the shipping process, but since it's an untraceable package, the earliest date for arrival I know of is July 7. If it doesn't show up early, I'll do Disney's The Black Hole to keep me from getting rusty while waiting.
>>
>>11008501
Thanks for your hard work, brother.
>>
>>11008501
Thank you so much! I had forgotten about half these books, and can hardly wait for a chance to read them again.
>>
Just a pre-dinner bump to keep the thread from being pruned.
>>
After putting in a hell of a lot of work into it and not fucking up the HTML and formatting too much, I managed to get Titan AE done. http://www.mediafire.com/download/o2do8qxfopv36rk/Titan_A.E..epub

Gonna start The Black Hole tomorrow, which is going to be a bitch due to the lack of gutter space towards the spine. I might wind up finishing the destruction of the book that started when the spine fell off years ago.
>>
Morning bump so people can find the Titan AE ePub.
>>
The Black Hole is proving to be an even bigger pain in the ass than I expected it to be. I've literally had to scan some pages perpendicularly and/or 2-3 paragraphs at a time. Thank God it's only 13 chapters long.
>>
The Aliens and Predator stuff interests me, but I can wait. Finish the other, more obscure things first.
>>
>>10988347
>I've been converting some of my old, out of print /m/ and general scifi books to eBooks
May I ask how you are doing this? I've considered doing the same for my extensive collection of fantasy and scifi books.
>>
>>11017334
>May I ask how you are doing this? I've considered doing the same for my extensive collection of fantasy and scifi books.
I bought an LG Scanner Mouse from Newegg Flash, which has OCR software included in the package.

My current workflow is this:
1. Scan page
2. Crop, tweak contrast/saturation
3. Open a blank Word document and make sure the cursor is blinking
4. Select "Paste as text" in the scanner software
5. Compare the text just pasted in Word with the text on the page and correct any OCR errors
6. Continue steps 1,2, 4, and 5 until the chapter is done
7. Open a blank (HTML) page in Kompozer and paste everything from the Word document into it
8. Save the chapter in a folder with the book's name
9. Click the "Source" tab in Kompozer and copy everything
10. Open a blank document in Komodo Edit and paste everything in it
>>
>>11017334
>>11017423
11. Open Komodo's Find and Replace, select "Smart Case," "Multiline," and "Replace"
12. Copy all the junk code like " class="MsoNormal"
style="background: white none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial; line-height: normal;"><span
style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: &quot;Times New Roman&quot;,&quot;serif&quot;;" and replace it with nothing.
13. Fix any mismatching quotation marks & obvious HTML errors
14. Copy and paste the clean code in Kompozer, then save it
15. Do all the previous steps until you've gotten the entire book done
16. Get eCub or another ePub making software and import all the HTML files into the program
17. Select a chapter, click "Edit," and copy/paste the HTML from Notepad into http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input
18. Use Notepad's search to find the first error you get from the Validator
19. Repeat Step 18 until every chapter is error free
20. Click compile in your ePub making software
21. Open your ePub in your software of choice
>>
Given relevant to this thread - any recommendations as far as hand/wand scanner if I'm looking to scan pages but not sure I want to take a book apart to do it?
>>
>>11017516
The LG LSM-100 Smart Scan mouse I'm using is pretty good, although it has a bit too much separation between the left edge of the mouse and the edge of the scanning window for my tastes. It makes it a bit hard to get really close to the binding.

Also, I'm not sure I'd want to use this on glossy pages. The pads on the bottom make a really awful scraping noise when they go over anything that isn't typical book/document paper.
>>
>>11017423
>>11017462
Thank you so much for this information. Couldn't we just save them as pdf's in MSWord though? That's what I was thinking about doing.

But yeah, I've been collecting lots of fantasy and scifi paperbacks of varying ages, like I've seriously have read like far less than half of them, I'm kind of a hoarder when it comes to these books I guess. Most of them are works that are way out of print and will never be in print again. And I would be totally willing to unbind them if it would mean that I could get a clean scan and it would be digitally preserved forever. Recently I've found myself wondering if there were online communities dedicated to doing this kind of thing and archiving everything like this. Or maybe I could start my own...
>>
>>11017565
>Thank you so much for this information. Couldn't we just save them as pdf's in MSWord though? That's what I was thinking about doing.
PDFs are a shit format for digital books that don't have super huge images or super complicated page formatting. ePub and other eBook formats are ideal for anything that doesn't have tons of page spanning pics because they can scale to the reader's display.

>>11017565
>Recently I've found myself wondering if there were online communities dedicated to doing this kind of thing and archiving everything like this. Or maybe I could start my own...
My best guess would be /lit/ and the Mobilism forums, which has tons of pirated eBooks and eBooks of random stuff.
>>
I'm calling it a night. I'm only five pages into chapter 4 of The Black Hole due to the difficulties caused by someone at Del Rey being a cheap fuck 30+ years ago. The amount of clearance between the text and spine is insanely small and requires me to bend the book and my neck like crazy during scanning to make sure I don't fuck things up too much. And even good scans have tons of OCR errors to deal with. It's probably the most challenging book-to-eBook conversion I've done to date.

>>11016948
Sorry for skipping over this while answering other stuff sooner, but I've got so much stuff that I honestly don't know what to do beyond continuing my scans and conversions of the Bill McCay Stargate books. I'll probably make a Strawpoll thing to see what the next non-Stargate book will be after I finish The Black Hole.
>>
Managed to finish Chapter 4 of The Black Hole; gonna start Chapter 5 shortly. Not looking forward to the huge pain in the ass the middle of the book will be.
>>
Thanks a lot for the books, reading Titan AE now and loving it.
>>
Some good news. I'm more or less done with Chapter 8 of The Black Hole, which means I only have 5 chapters to go. Even better, it seems like the binding is way less of an issue. I might even be able to get Chapter 9 done tonight.

The bad news is that I might get next to nothing done thanks to a random pre-July 4 trip. And it's pretty obvious I won't get much done July 4. I'll probably post the Strawpoll on July 4 before I go to a family party.
>>
I love you so much OP.
>>
Alright, got the basic HTML of Chapter 9 down. Going to call it a night since my index finger is sore from holding down buttons for hours.

>>11021850
Thanks. Nice to know I'm appreciated by the co/m/munity.
>>
Managed to get Ch 10 scanned, but I've got to deal with bullshit, so I'll get back to it later.
>>
Back from the bullshit and working on Chapter 11. I might get be able to scan and make HTML of the final chapters tonight, but there's a thunderstorm rolling in, so I can't guarantee anything.
>>
>>11017565
>>11017591
#bookz on undernet on IRC is a goldmine. You can find tons of old scifi/fantasy. Check here before you spend a lot of time on a book... you may find it already done :)
>>
>>10988347
Thanks, OP! These are great!
>>
This is the best thread on /m/ currently.
>>
File: black hole typo.jpg (892KB, 1125x969px) Image search: [Google]
black hole typo.jpg
892KB, 1125x969px
I am now completely done with scanning and compiling the HTML files for the ePub version of The Black Hole. It's been a hell of a time, but doing this has made me reexamine the book in ways I never did back when I read it years ago. For one thing, there are a fuck load of typos, including this really huge one in the pic right at the end (which is a mindfuck spoiler), and weird scene breaks (or the lack thereof).

I won't be doing any work on it tomorrow, since I'll be going over my entire mini-library of books and making combos for the poll. I might include one Star Trek novel, due to its shit pirate version and the fact that the legal version probably doesn't have the shit ending included. I won't include anything else Trek because you guys should be able to get some of the books in ePub form via public libraries, then strip the DRM in Calibre, before using regular expressions to clean out all the junk code in the ePub using Calibre's built in eBook editor.

>>11026241
I might look into that, after I get good enough with IRC to even GET there. That said, I still prefer to do my own ePubs, because too many people make shit conversions with format and/or content fuck ups. That big rar of Trek novels floating around has a lot of examples of that shit.

>>11026247
>>11026318
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
>>
>>11026353
>as did their finely which to contemplate
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
>>
>>11026353
>>11026353

You're right. I've had to fix up quite a few books in my time. There are some users who will proof their work, though. It's a real grab bag.

In case someone decides to give it a try, here's a quick-and-dirty explanation of the basics just in case. It's really straightforward once you've done it a couple of times...

To use IRC, you'll need a client software to connect to networks. Chatzilla extension for Firefox is free and probably the easiest way to go.
Install and open Chatzilla.
Go to the menu Chatzilla>Preferences>Global Settings.
On the General tab, type a nickname. Switch to the DCC (Direct client to client transfers) tab and pick a download location on your computer. Close the settings window.

You'll need to connect to a network. There's a lot of them, and they all have different channels (chat rooms, basically) hosting different chats or featuring different types of content for download. For #bookz, we want Undernet. Look for the command/message line at the bottom of the window and type "/server irc.undernet.org"

You'll know you're connected when a bunch of messages from the server scroll past on your screen. If it tells you your nickname is registered or in use and you need to change it, use the command "/nick" followed by a space and whatever you want for another nickname.

Now you want to join a channel. Channel names all start with #. Type in "/join #bookz". a new tab will open at the bottom for the channel.
>>
>>11026747
When you switch to the channel tab, the left pane will populate with the nicknames of other users, operators, and bots. Bots perform automatic functions. Ops are in charge of the channel and can ban users, kick (them out), etc. Basically the higher up on the user list categories someone is listed the more power they have.

Normally, no one actually chats in this channel. Occasionally someone will strike up a conversation, but most people just come to leech.

To find files, type "@find" followed by a space and then your search terms. You'll get responses from the servers who have matches, usually in a new tab but occasionally in the main channel. You can right click on a tab to close it if the matches are no good. If that gets on your nerves, you can use the "@search" command to get results delivered in a zipped .txt download. I prefer @find as my download folder doesn't get cluttered with old search results.

These days, all you have to do to request a file is copy and paste the appropriate command string from the search results, which is an ! followed by the username of the server and then the filename. For example, "!fiacca Lensman 01 - Triplanetary - Edward E. Smith.epub"

eBooks are tiny little files, so you may get your file immediately or you might be placed in a short queue. There will be a message either way in the current tab of you've sent the request command properly. When the file is headed your way, you'll get another message in the active tab asking you to accept or decline the file transfer. Click accept, and the transfer will open a new tab that displays its status. Wait for the transfer to complete and enjoy.
>>
>>11026353
A buddy of mine who has the book is gonna check his copy to make sure it does that same "as did their finely which to contemplate" in his copy. If he's got a later corrected edition I'll try twisting his arm to help.
>>
>>11027053
>A buddy of mine who has the book is gonna check his copy to make sure it does that same "as did their finely which to contemplate" in his copy. If he's got a later corrected edition I'll try twisting his arm to help.
I fixed it myself. Whoever worked on editing the book or whatever put "spread substance, and they now had an eternity in" at the end of the previous paragraph instead of before "which to contemplate", so I put it back where it belonged.

It's not the most common typo I've seen in the book (that would be stuff like "anymore" being split into "any more"), but it's the biggest.
>>
Hmm... does anyone care about The New John Connor Chronicles novels? I've got one and there don't seem to be any working files for them online.

Also, I've got a bunch of other, non-/m/ scifi movie/miniseries novels... do you want those tossed on the list?
>>
Alright folks, here's the poll:
http://strawpoll.me/2046306

You can vote for multiple items, but I'd prefer you only use that for the single book options. I plan to get everything eventually.
>>
>>11028850
>http://strawpoll.me/2046306
Voted <3
>>
>>11029845
Thank you, I was starting to get really paranoid that only one person voted and selected FIVE things at once.
>>
Anything like Foundation Trilogy with or without mecha?
>>
It's time for the nightly bump, plus my agenda for the poll. I'll accept results until I wake up on Monday. Whatever pair of books (either as one item or two separate individual books) wins will be part of my alternating Bill McCay Stargate/poll choice digitization lineup for the next month or so.

>>11030743
I've got nothing like Foundation, but I could make an ePub version of Sentinel.
>>
Morning poll bump. Gonna get to work on finishing The Black Hole a bit later, once I'm convinced all the food I ate last night won't pour out of me.
>>
I just voted too. What's that about Area 51?
>>
>>11032543
>What's that about Area 51?
It's a weird, semi-Stargate franchise where tons of mythological stuff is caused by alien bullshit before humans get their hands on alien tech an go all XCOM on their asses.

Legend is a prequel that sets up all the backstory for the primary series of novels, so you don't need to know anything to read it. I don't really remember if it would be a spoiler to read it before the rest of the books, but you'll probably appreciate the books a bit better.
>>
Here's The Black Hole, which is VERY '70s:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/83v9kfi9k1uxj43/The_Black_Hole.epub
>>
>>11035903
Thanks!
>>
>>11035903
cool
>>
Bumping for the final day of the poll.
>>
File: Atari800XE_Laptop.jpg (50KB, 342x335px) Image search: [Google]
Atari800XE_Laptop.jpg
50KB, 342x335px
>>11035903
>VERY '70s

Does it come with completely unnecessary wood paneling?
>>
>>11038109
>>Does it come with completely unnecessary wood paneling?
>That pic
Jesus Christ, how horrifying.

But no, there's no wood paneling everywhere. The story gets really Tomino at the end.
>>
Bumping this a bit late, because I got nothing to really talk about since I'm waiting for the poll to end and Stargate Retaliation to arrive.

That said, I'm thinking about helping out some of the guys in this thread who thinking about digitizing their old books. I'm totally willing to handle the "convert everything into HTML and compile the ePub" parts if people send me the text stuff in an .RTF file or something. I'll probably have to set up an e-mail for that stuff, due to the need to check with the owners if there's OCR fuck ups they missed or whatever.
>>
Final call for votes on the poll.
>>
Alright, the two ID4 novels have won in the poll, so I'll be switching over to them after finishing Bill McCay Stargate novels. Once I'm done with those (at least the ones I own), I'll make the five oBSG novels my primary series.
>>
>>11043236
Thanks for your work, anon
>>
Hmm.... Stargate Retaliation hasn't arrived yet. Dunno when it'll show up, so I'm going to fill the time by working on The Nitpicker's Guide to TNG because of how goddamn dense it is (393 mostly double column pages).
>>
>>11043236
Woohoo, thank you so much!!!
>>
BTW, if you guys want to start getting into scanning your own books and live in whatever territories Newegg ships to, they're going to be selling the model of scanner mouse I use at 12PM EST/9AM PST on neweggflash.com. It'll probably be around $45-46.

If you guys do, let me know if you want to take advantage of my offer here: >>11040683
>>
Morning bump. I'll post the link to Newegg Flash's scanner mouse sale as soon as I get it.
>>
If you guys want to get into the book digitization/preservation action, here's your chance: http://www.neweggflash.com/product/26-304-001
>>
>>11049262
45 bucks and free shipping? Coool....I might actually use this for grad school. It'd save me the money of buying a whole new scanner.
>>
Stargate Retaliation didn't show up today, so I've shelved the Nitpicker's Guide and started up ID4 Silent Zone, which is one of the least worn out used books in my collection. I dunno how much you'll like the throwaway big event the author uses to setup all the stuff in the 1970s, but I think you'll like the story proper.
>>
do you know any other hard to find stuff you're still looking for?
>>
Morning bump.

>>11053049
>do you know any other hard to find stuff you're still looking for?
A lot of behind the scenes stuff, like the Making of seaQuest DSV book that's floating around, the DS9 Companion, some Stargate SG-1 reference books, stuff like that. There's one Voyager book I know I can get from my public library, so I'll be getting around to that.

As for novels, I'd like to find a number of old Trek novels because of huge OCR/conversion fuck ups in their pirated versions. DS9's The Search has huge sections that are filled with incomprehensible garbage. I obviously want Stargate Resistance to finish off the Bill McCay Stargate series and I wouldn't mind some more of the old 1990s Alien/Predator/AvP novels. Some of the old novelizations of games like Metal Gear and X-Com would be cool to find too. I also have a thing for submarine fiction, so I have a ton of sub novels and wouldn't wind getting my hands on old stuff that I've missed. I also have random scifi stuff like the two Species novels.
>>
Pre-dinner bump to keep the thread from dying.
>>
Managed to get through half of ID4: Silent Zone, but I think I pulled or strained a back muscle, but I'm hoping that sleep will fix that. I will say the novel is pretty good, except for the huge ass block paragraphs that are in every chapter.
>>
>>11056368
Aw man, Im sorry ;_; I hope you feel better, bro! Thanks again for the scannin.
>>
>>11056368
Rest up and feel better. Thanks for all the work!
>>
Yup, sleep did the trick. My back feels fine, so I'll be doing more scanning at a slightly slower pace.

Also, I really wish I could go back in time and beat the shit out of whoever decided that packages that aren't boxes don't get tracking numbers. I'm starting to get pissed that my plans are starting to derail because of bullshit.
>>
Another day, another annoyance at Stargate Retaliation not being delivered yet.

I'm probably going to jump to Star Trek: Challenger if the book doesn't show up by tomorrow or Saturday so I don't derail my schedule and make the next few weeks insanely boring and predictable.
>>
>>11059730
I have a bunch of ST novels in PDF, and Challenger is among them. Do you want the file, so you can convert it to whatever format you're using, instead to having to scan it?
>>
>>11060079
>I have a bunch of ST novels in PDF, and Challenger is among them. Do you want the file, so you can convert it to whatever format you're using, instead to having to scan it?
I'll certainly take Challenger if it's the Gateways one, not the New Earth finale. That said, I'd like to know what else you've got, since I might be able to use them to fix some of the botched pirate versions.

Also, I looked up how much the X-Com: UFO Defense novel costs and holy shit, copies are $30+ WITHOUT shipping. I gotta see if I can find a PDF floating around somewhere or get an interlibrary loan.
>>
Time for some good news and maybe bad news. First, the good news. I can get my hands on an omnibus of the first three (and possibly only) non-adaptation nBSG novels, some Richard Hatch BSG novels, and I got the old X-Com novel.

The bad news is that the X-Com novel is only 7 chapters long and without a legit copy to compare to, I don't know if that's accurate.
>>
I'm awake. Hopefully I can get ID4: Silent Zone done tonight so I can take a break tomorrow.
>>
>>11062295
Thanks so much again, friend.
>>
>>11060127
Ok. First, I was mistaken, they're in .lit format. Also, my brother got them in 2005, so I'm sure there'll be better versions out there. If you're still interested, this is what I have:

- "Gateways" 1-8.
- "SCE" 1-37, with 4 omnibuses.
- TNG 1-63.
- 8 books of the "A Time to..." series.
- A bunch of TNG books without numbers: novelizations ("Time Squared", "AGT", "Relics"...), "Genesis Wave" 1-4, and the 1st and 3rd books of "Stargazer".
- TOS 1-96.
- TOS books without numbers, including "The Janus Gate" 1-3, "Errand of Vengeance" 1-3, and something called "Spock, Messiah".
- Star Trek: The Reset Button, Now with Catsuits, a.k.a VOY: books 1 to 21, and a few non-numbered ones ("Mosaic", "Equinox"...).
- "Day of Honor", numbers 2 and 4.
- DS9 1-26 and a few more ("Companion", "Dominion War" 1-4...). Nothing Garak-related, sadly.
- ENT: not much, mainly novelizations ("Expanse", "Broken Bow"...).
- "New Frontier" 1-15.
- "The Lost Era: Well of Souls".

347 files in total. If you want some title in particular, ask and I'll see if it's there.particular,
>>
>>11063450
I know there's a ton of trek books that got ebooked back a thousand years ago when we stole our books online as txt files. Dunno if there's issues with the OCRing or anything.
>>
I just ordered the mouse. I can't wait to start doing this, I really needed a new hobby. Before this thread I didn't even know that a device like a scanner mouse existed.
>>
>>11063450
I'll take Gateways 2 and DS9 1. I have physical copies on hand and can use them to see if the .lit copies are fucked up. I totally expect a lot of them to be fucked up, but if there's only a few I need to find in better condition than the widely available pirate versions, that'll be great.

Also, could you see if the that DS9 "Companion" book is actually the one about the behind the scenes goings on during the show? If so, please send it over.

>>11063904
>I just ordered the mouse. I can't wait to start doing this, I really needed a new hobby. Before this thread I didn't even know that a device like a scanner mouse existed.
Glad to be of service anon.
>>
Well, I've done. Here's ID4: Silent Zone:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/7h820h05pkxt59u/Independence_Day__Silent_Zone.epub

Feel free to let me know if I missed any OCR/grammar/punctuation errors. It's really easy to miss stuff when there are so many block paragraphs.

Also, get ready to get butthurt on the last page.
>>
>>11064895
Awesome, thank you so much! I'll get started on reading it ASAP. Thanks so much again!
>>
>>11065209
Ok, I've noticed a couple of errors so far:

Prologue: "They began to 1 find fragments of alien corpses"

Chapter 2, "career of this young Einstein-with-a-mood-ring was lo involve a flying saucer"

Aside from that, everything looks very good, though the novel itself isn't gonna win any awards, lol. I guess it's good enough for a movie tie-in though, haha.
>>
>>11065279
Chapter 3: "Radecker demanded with n vehemence"

"hut its cohesion strength"

Chapter 4: "They'd found a small hank "

in Chapter 5, these weird symbols show up: —

Chapter 7: "He had taken no foot! or water"

Chapter 8: As for security concerns, Spelman s worries

Second, it would give (hem the power

Chapter 9: und identified itself to her as "the friend."
>>
File: image.jpg (337KB, 1521x1141px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
337KB, 1521x1141px
I'm definitely looking forward to some Aliens and Predator stuff.

You're doing God's work, OP.
>>
>>11064004
The DS9 Companion is the one you mention, yeah. Here:

https://mega.co.nz/#!wwJHHZxZ!ovXj4L4LiJfiBdEboiN8RmLs6Rk0nUHELbp40s7p0vQ

I have two DS9 books numbered 01, so I added both of them. If you need more, just tell me the titles.
>>
File: scifibooks.jpg (2MB, 2200x5000px) Image search: [Google]
scifibooks.jpg
2MB, 2200x5000px
Anyone ever read:
The Vang or Starhammer.
Rendevous with Ramma?
Dune?
Red Mars trilogy?

Pic is some other sci fi books
>>
>>11066405
You're asking on /m/ if anyone has read sci-fi books? Really?
>>
>>11066438
A lot of /m/ won't even watch non-Japanese cartoons. No offense to anyone, but we're not the most literate bunch around.
>>
>>11066438
I was just asking if some /m/en read specific ones. Sci fi is a broad spectrum, and everyone has different tastes. Seeing other people's different opinions on certain books helps me get suggestions and discussion. Along with the fact that there aren't many sci fi book threads anywhere else aside from here, and /tg/. I just wanted /m/'s opinions on a few titles.
>>
>>11066461
>>11066470
I apologize then, but it really sounded silly to me, considering we've had lots of threads about western works, be it books or movies, even if the majority is still about anime shows.

Now, about >>11066405 question, Rama and Dune are basic reading, though I've never liked Clarke's stuff.
>>
>>11066405
Read Dune. Great book that has some fantastic world building and cool writing.

Also, if you're looking for recommendations, try the Foundation trilogy by Asimov, which is my favorite work of his. Great series.
>>
>>11065534
>in Chapter 5, these weird symbols show up: —
Can you give me the words around them? They're display errors, not problems in the actual text.
>>
>>11066577
They pop up before quotation marks, like this:

something meant to be felt—desperation

Yeah, I guess they are display errors. My bad.
>>
>>11066579
Yeah, those are supposed to be long dashes. Sometimes they don't display properly for reasons I don't comprehend.

>>11066405
I've read a bunch of the books in that pic, but not the ones you're specifically interested in.
>>
Hmm... turns out that the reason why a lot of those old pirated Trek books have formatting fuck ups is because they're conversions from the old .lit versions. Gateways 2/Challenger is literally the same as the pirate version I have. I dunno if I'd save all that much time hunting down all the typos, italicizing things, and splitting the chapters up versus just scanning the book and doing my usual work flow.

Turns out the DS9 Companion one is nicely formatted, but it's only a one chapter preview to make people buy the physical copy.
Thread posts: 131
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.