[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sffg/ - The Science Fiction and Fantasy General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 337
Thread images: 52

File: fuck u counter-blindsight-shill.jpg (128KB, 713x623px) Image search: [Google]
fuck u counter-blindsight-shill.jpg
128KB, 713x623px
pro-shill edition

anyone else really enjoying reading in the summer weather?

Fantasy
Selected:
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

Science Fiction
Selected:
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

Previous Threads:
>>9706008
>>9682557
>>9669860
>>9661015
>>9651041
>>
ubik
>>
>>9718098
>the science fiction and fantasy general
>the
Mr Reddit. It was Science Fiction and Fantasy General for 2+ consecutive years, don't come changing shit that doesn't need changing. This is why no one likes you upboat cunts. You're like locusts invading a 1 acre greenhouse filled with juvenile plants, you just fuck everything up and shit everywhere. An hero asap
>>
>>9718105
Ubik
>>
Ubik
>>
>>9718141
>the The Reddit "the" post
>>
File: C2_kplLXcAAg9_a.jpg (104KB, 972x1199px) Image search: [Google]
C2_kplLXcAAg9_a.jpg
104KB, 972x1199px
I'm reading City by Clifford D. Simak and it's pretty good. Probably shouldn't have put it off for so long.
>>
>tfw no Conjoiner gf to make you feel intellectually and emotionally inferior
>>
>>9718098
>anyone else really enjoying reading in the summer weather?
no it's hot and I get sticky and the bugs crawl on me when I lay in the grass
>>
>>9718208
You can kys too fuccboi
>>
>>9718098
>/B&WCgen/ - Bakker and Wolfe Circlejerk General
>>
>>9718098
malazan is amazing.

5th season is pretty good desu. schaffa is cool
>>
>>9718141
This guy's right, OP is a faggot. Reddit should be shut down before any journalists get hurt.
>>
File: startwiththegreeks.jpg (1MB, 3672x3024px) Image search: [Google]
startwiththegreeks.jpg
1MB, 3672x3024px
Is greek literature just dry ass philosophy with a lot of mythology? Or is it also entertaining?

I was thinking about getting started, not sure though
>>
>>9718313
Why did you post this in this thread?
>>
>>9718276
>fear of bugs
Pussyol
>>
>>9718346
not sure, meant to make a new thread
>>
>Reading Brandon "muh deep worldbulding and magic system" Sanderson,

are you 16, kiddo?
>>
Accelerando is pretty lewd
>>
The man in the high castle is such a chore to read.
>>
>>9718408
No one hear touts Brandon as being some masterful writer. Brandon himself even says he's a popcorn novelist. Where is this meme coming from?
>>
>>9718524
Reddites trying to pretend that they are channers by 'dissing' something popular. sucks for them that we actually enjoy sanderson's regular publishings on this general. they miss judged their audience for their performance.
>>
>>9718503
watch the show desu. the best live action series I've ever seen. I didn't like the book.
>>
>>9718524
>do I fit in yet?
>>
>>9718600
What the fuck are you talking about? Reddit loves Sanderson
>>
>>9718501
>tfw no cute Arianespace manager to transcend humanity with
>>
>>9718098
Ubik
>>
Currently reading John Carter of Mars books 8-10
good stuff
>>
>>9718998
better than the movie?
>>
>>9719005
imo I think so. If you liked the movie, this is the only way to get more JC since Disney is never going bring the other books to film.
Though some of the later ones start to feel a little samey
>>
>>9718661
and how would you know that Mr Reddit? I never went there so I wouldn't know
>>
Brandon Sanderson's "The Way of Kings" has been lying on my nightstand for about a year now and for some reason I always grab another book and never really go for it. I suppose it's because I know basically nothing about the book or the author. What's so good about it that it made the fantasy chart?
>>
>>9719086
I found it enjoyable, gets a little anime at times.

He's got half decent worldbuilding and explores concepts about maguc systems in his interconnected worlds.

Prose isn't necessarily immature (though you can see how he's grown as a writer after some of the first mistborn books) but it's an easy read and not a grind.

Stories ramp up well and keep fairly interesting.

It's not muh deep lore and no one gets cucked, and that's fine.
>>
Currently reading Perdido Street Station by China Mieville, having read Embassytown and The City And The City by him. He has an astonishing imagination, and I love his depictions of cities.
>>
File: noneathis.jpg (91KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
noneathis.jpg
91KB, 1280x720px
not sure how well it fits this thread.. but I've been very into magical realism lately.
Just finished Hundred Years of Solitude and Little, Big.
any more books similar to these?
>>
>>9719113
I see, thank you. Sounds like I should pick it up then. I bought it on a whim when I was just looking for new fantasy books, and I guess I never picked it up because I thought it would be a grind just because of the cover. So many good books have boring covers, but I guess subconsciously I still keep making assumptions based on the cover art even though I've been proven wrong countless times.
>>
>>9719086
It's shit. Why read a 1000 page novel when you can read a good 400 page novel
>>
>>9719122
He also does large set piece moments well.
Gutted if he doesn't return to bas-lag.
>>
>>9719143
Yes, that too! The scene where the militia break up the dockworkers' strike[\spoiler] was really well choreographed, tense, and heartbreaking.
>>
>>9719129
Like Water for Chocolate is magical realism technically, it was definitely different.

If you want a movie then Swiss Army Man was straight up magical realism.
>>
>>9719143
I saw a theory somewhere that This Census-Taker was secretly set on the outskirts of New Crobuzon. Not sure I buy it though.
>>
File: scra.jpg (128KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
scra.jpg
128KB, 1024x768px
>>9718098
Is that a Scrambler? I'd love to have a not-so-goofy looking one to just leave in random places about the house.
>>
>>9719558
For some bizarre reason I totally misinterpreted what Watts wrote after my first reading and basically imagined a giant earwig
>>
Just started Leviathan Wakes. Is the rest of the series good or should I just one and done this shit?
>>
>>9718313
Also thinking about this. Will probably start with Mythology, The Illiad and The Odyssey and then if I really like them I'll go into the more heavy stuff.
>>
>>9719577
i dunno because that's what I did. I seriously doubt it.
>>
>>9719574
I imagined them as being like a centipede with tendrils/tentacles. Watts is a bit weak sometimes when it comes to describing how things appear/sequences of events where space and positioning is important. There's one notorious section in Echopraxia that to this day no one is 100% sure what he's actually describing.
>>
>>9719587
As I was reading your post Echopraxia immediately came to mind. There's a lot of interesting stuff in there but at several points I honestly had no idea what action was happening.
>>
>>9719604
It's not just you buddy. It's a damn shame because otherwise I love the guys writing. I remember reading an interview with him where he said that some fans had opined that Blindsight didn't have enough action so he tried to remedy that in Echopraxia. Even if he could write action scenes, why the fuck would you take on board a suggestion like that.
>>
TUC epub link when?
>>
>>9719636
>TUC
Trades Union Congress?
>>
>>9719639
The Unholy Consult.
>>
File: echo chamber.png (398KB, 501x447px) Image search: [Google]
echo chamber.png
398KB, 501x447px
>>9719632
>>9719604
I know Pete whines a lot about having Blindsight trimmed down so I think that supposed butchering actually made it a lot more legible

I asked a few months ago if anyone wanted to split up Echo's chapters and write a wikipedia summary of the plot, but it went unanswered.
>>
Also:

http://blindsight.space/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26MM8pOcsDE
>>
File: 1402185173363.jpg (72KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1402185173363.jpg
72KB, 500x667px
>>9719688
I didn't see that, I'd be up for it desu.
>>
will syfy fuck up hyperion?
sage for offtopic
>>
>>9719738
the story format lends itself to the format, and the somewhat low-tech setting means it might look ok
why? there been any news?
>>
>>9719755
>>9719738
>>9719586
>>9719577

Hyperion <=> The Expanse?
>>
>>9719766
Hyperion itself is arguably a classic. The sequels let it down, but I'd wager they're still a significant tier above The Expanse.
>>
>>9719700
What's going on with this? The website has zero information but has an address to email if you want to "join the project team".
>>
>>9719792
check his blog
http://www.rifters.com/crawl/
>>
>>9719707

honestly reading echopraxia right now, knowing I'll have to reread it again to actually understand half the shit this author is saying
>>
>>9718098
>anyone else really enjoying reading in the summer weather?

Yes
>>
>>9719587
>>9719604
>>9719632
>>9719688
I loved Blindsight and like but was ultimately disappointed by Echopraxia and I absolutely agree that there are some points where you simply don't know what the fuck is happening. Glad to see it's not just me; I thought I was losing it at some points but others are having a hard time following it at certain times then that's reassuring somewhat.

>>9719587
Out of interest, what point in Echopraxia were you referring to?
>>
>>9718098
Weather is nice. I love reading in the dappled sun with an ice cold cider.
>>
I picked up Stephen Lawrence's Pendragon from a used books fair today and being the idiot I am I didn't notice it was the fourth volume in a series. Is the Pendragon Cycle any good? I'm considering reading the first three books since I already bought the fourth one and all.
>>
>>9720142
I really liked it when I was 13 or so. I recall them being quite compelling and interesting. In fact, I've been thinking of taking a weekend to do a Pendragon re-read.
>>
>>9718313
Not a trace of dry philosophy for as as far as I've read. It's all glorious battles with mythological creatures and God's being assholes.

No doubt that reading Plato and Aristotle will be less dramatic.
>>
>>9720160
Cool, I can't lie I'm a bit disenheartened because what I planned to be a quick, relaxing 500 page read suddenly turned into 2000 pages, but as long as they're good I guess it's alright.
>>
Bakker is a hack and a pseud
Second Apocalypse is fantasy evangelion and straight fedora tipping garbage
>>
*waits for some aussie, britbong, or scandi to strip the drm from their copy of TUC and upload it to IRC*
>>
>>9720215
Any true arguments for your point?
>>
>>9719808
>>9719707
I'm deep in a Stross-hole currently but either you dudes post about it again I'll get it going
>>
>>9719636
probably tomorrow chigra. it's getting published then in the UK, then next week in the US
>>
>>9720215
wow, thanks for that well-reasoned and insightful post. i've totally changed my opinion about the entire series and will desist from reading any further entries.

seriously though, this has been beaten to death a hundred times. you're not going to find anyone around here disagreeing very strongly with you (other than bakker shitposting and pretending not to be himself). some of us just want to have the mysteries/final plot resolved, and some of us just want to read more about women being impaled by gigantic alien penises.
>>
>>9720409
>>9720215
Speaking of Bakker, did I just really read the fellowship of the ring journeying through the mines of Moria? I mean hot damn that was pretty blatant. Was it always like this, or was this the first major copy+paste?
>>
Broke: The Second Apocalypse series is about "feminism"

Woke: The Second Apocalypse series is about Spinozism vs. Fichteanism.
>>
File: JPEG_20170529_234154.jpg (20KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
JPEG_20170529_234154.jpg
20KB, 128x128px
reminder that there will never be a science fiction book that can match hhg2tg
>>
Just finished The Dispossessed and loved it. What else by Le Guin is worth reading?
>>
>>9720476
you read the lathe of heaven yet?
>>
>>9720427
with shitpost aside, the second apocalypse is about what? I've just read the first triology and the only thing that I get is a sociopath that shit on religion.
>>
>>9720505
Thought about taking that one next. Anything else?
>>
>>9720451
Any other scifi humour?

All I can think of is gateway or Dick
And not humour about scifi dammit just a funny book
>>
>>9720529
are you asking about what philosophy/s bakker stretched and twisted and stitched gay rape fantasies into? or are you really just asking about the overall plot because you're too inbred/lazy to read the summary sections before each book, the wiki summaries, or the very helpful fantasy history of the world that the series is set in that was written by a big bakkerfan?
>>
>>9719577
I enjoyed Leviathan Wakes but the second in the series failed to keep me interested. I'd bail after the first of I were you.
>>
>>9720568
The philosphy and theme, not the actual plot.
>>
Is Melnibone pronounced like "bone" or "bo-nay"?
>>
>>9720529
jebus/messiah figures bad
atheism gud
random christian symbolism and cosmic horror thrown everywhere to obfuscate the point
>>
>>9720424
That was the first major copy paste and I loved every moment of it.

Did you also notice the start of the DnD campaign earlier.
>>
>>9720673
>atheism good
>the bad guys are cosmic atheists

Really jogs my nog
>>
>>9720451
It's unironically true that no book will ever do what HHGTTG does better than it does it.
>>
Pretty new to this board and looking for a good summer read while I have the free time. Is The Lions of Al-Rassan a good starting point?
>>
>>9719141
>It's shit. Why read a 1000 page novel when you can read a good 400 page novel
Let me guess. BoTNS?
>>
>>9719049

I don't even know what rebbit is! is it like a new version of YikYak?

>>9719141

Why read a good 400 page novel when you can read a great 40 page short story?
>>
>>9720737
no read tigana instead
>>
>>9719688
We told you to write it yourself. You just choose to ignore the advice and play blind.
>>
>>9720581

I am also interested in the answer to this question, because wiki uses an accented é but my shitty PDF-ified .txt does not
>>
>>9720694
Yeah, that was pretty funny. Of course if I wound up in that game I'd punch the DM in the face after the fifth hour of nothing but walking and rolling on the random encounter table that only has entries for rape-demons, or maybe the endless DMPC railroading. I think the entire encounter at the end was just the frustrated players, even the one who was supposed to be playing the skinspy, were so fed up they intentionally caused a TPK just to kill the NPCs and escape the railroad
>>
>>9720710
Undeniable, desu.
I read a collection of essays by Adams when I was in high school. He was obsessed with The Beatles. I'm curious as to how those essays would hold up if I reread them but I probably won't get around to it.
>>
>>9719577
I'm on book 6 now, I like the themes and the writing is sometimes good but the dialogue sucks ass all the time. The characters are sort of predictable. It's all right for what it is. Alastair Reynolds is a better writer.
>>
>>9720529

It's literally about Spinozism vs. Fichteanism.
>>
>>9718098

Can anyone suggest a dark, apocalyptic, urban, rennaissance/late medieval/early modern-inspired fantasy novel?

if anyone here is a patrician fa/tg/uy, in the vein of Mordheim. I'm more interested in
>weird/horrific
>team of dudes
>urban pre-industrial setting
>apocalyptic events

rather than any specific similarity to the game's universe, in other words generic themes and "feel" not specific detail (muh swords, muh sorcery, muh goblins and elves, etc.)
>>
So, I'm picking up my first non-Tolkien fantasy novel since really getting on a GoT kick. Is Inda good?
>>
>>9719122

I enjoyed the characters and setting, but his inability to write climaxes and action ruined it for me.

It was interesting for as long as he focused on character development and world-building, but I got bored as soon as he moved into the main story and it only got worse as the plot thickened.

I never knew chasing around and trying to murder giant mindeating monsters could be so boring.

>>9720535

Discworld is the fantasy equivalent, and I truthfully found it much funnier.

That being said, it's been so long since I read HHGTTG that I don't remember all that much of it.
>>
Which book should I read first if I want to get into Sanderson's books?
>>
>>9721244
Hard to be God by the Strugatsky brothers (wrote Roadside picnic which Stalker was based off of )

The novel follows Anton, an undercover operative from the future planet Earth, in his mission on an alien planet, that is populated by human beings, whose society has not advanced beyond the Middle Ages. The novel's core idea is that human progress throughout the centuries is often cruel and bloody, and that religion and blind faith can be an effective tool of oppression, working to destroy the emerging scientific disciplines and enlightenment.

Also the film based off it, by Alexi German a Russian director - who works in the vein of Tarkovsky but holds has his own unique style - is probably one of the best films of the century.
>>
Just finished The Black Company. In some ways I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure it was really worth it overall.

It's the only series I've read where I had to stop and take a break to read other things before continuing. The characters, setting, and plot were solid, but the storytelling was so bad that it nearly ruined the whole thing.

Without the Annalist gimmick and all its limitations, the series genuinely could've been knocked out in 5 books and it would've been several orders of magnitude more detailed and interesting.

>start out with a narrator that has no personality or voice, book is a slog to read
>author takes a book or two to really develop them into a real character
>things finally start to get well written and interesting
>LOL NOPE WE'RE DONE WITH THIS CHARACTER NOW, MOVING ON
>goes back to being a slog
>repeat ad infinitum
>>
>>9721329
Stormlight Archive is his best, if you don't like that I doubt you'd stomach the others.
>>
>>9721346
I couldn't continue Black Company after the first narrator switch. Just couldn't get into it again. Which is weird cause I had no problems with Malazan just totally switching to whole new casts of characters every other book in the first half of the series, maybe cause the characters were more gravy ontop of the meat for Malazan, but in Black Company there was little else to keep me invested.
>>
1/3rd through Roadside. Bretty gud so far. Translation seems a bit shit though.
>>
*continues waiting for TUC to be up on irc*
>>
>>9721462
The first 1/3 is the best imo. Keep reading thought the ending is crazy coconuts
>>
File: tumblr_o1yvc2eUiA1rbmks0o1_1280.jpg (500KB, 1157x1920px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o1yvc2eUiA1rbmks0o1_1280.jpg
500KB, 1157x1920px
Any recs for surreal fantasy, like acid trip stuff?
>>
>>9721507
This is how you avoid being a retard.
>Check release date on Goodreads (ballpark only)
>Check release date on Amazon
>Check release date on Overdrive
>Check there is an electronic version on Worldcat
>Check library availability on Overdrive
>Find out that your book is Pre-release: Expected July 11, 2017 on Overdrive
>Realise that 99% of books are ripped from OD, 0.99% are bought and deDRM'd from Amazon and 0.01% are scanned
>Go back about five threads and read my succinct summary on where to download books
>Check for existing requests. Different sites have different rules on when requests can be made and unless you want to wait months for a book it's a good idea to request them on piracy websites
>don't spend all day refreshing. All the book private trackers support rss autodownloading and you can parse mobilism via regex to get a notification if someone uploads it.
>Realise that the FEWER LIBRARIES BUY A BOOK, THE LESS LIKELY YOU ARE TO GET A COPY OF IT IN ON RELEASE DATE, THE BIGGER THE LIBRARY IT IS IN THE MORE LIKELY YOU ARE TO GET IT
Example.
Brandon Sanderson's Oathbringer - 12 libraries availability at overdrive → Someone will have a high chance of uploading it the minute it releases.
Bakker's The Unholy Consult - 4 library availability at overdrive → Uh oh better hope that someone knows how to deDRM it and is willing to deDRM it!
Palmer's The Will to Battle - 1 library availability at overdrive → Uh oh, I hope you have a fucking library card unless you are prepared to wait literal months.

↑↑↑
Unless of course the first person on the hold queue requested it to fill requests in which case you are in luck WHICH IS WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE A FUCKING REQUEST ON A PT OR MOBILISM TO ENSURE THAT THE UPLOADERS ARE FIRST OR CLOSE TO FIRST IN THE QUEUE
>>
>>9721648
>Any recs for surreal fantasy, like acid trip stuff?

It has to be VALIS. One of my favourite books in any genre tbf (to be frank)
>>
http://www.rifters.com/crawl/?p=7459

>I’ve only had a chance to read a few so far. They are optimistic. If nothing else, I think “Firewalker” would be suitable company in the role of counterpoint.

Is Peter Watts /ourguy/
>>
>>9721661
Idk but I'd suck his dick
>>
>>9721648
Try China Mieville
>>
File: 144c9-cover[1].jpg (208KB, 600x960px) Image search: [Google]
144c9-cover[1].jpg
208KB, 600x960px
Came for the concept, stayed for the lewd enchantress. No GRI though.
>>
>>9721648
one hundred years of solitude
>>
>>9721818
>terrible writer
>terrible cgi cover
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>9721634
Made it to about 3/4ths. Just now back to when red is younger again. Will finish tomorrow. I feel like there is a lack of details. I feel like I am reading Malazan but in reverse. Really do enjoy it though.
>>
File: shkspr.jpg (118KB, 1024x675px) Image search: [Google]
shkspr.jpg
118KB, 1024x675px
Reminder that GraphicAudio is audio form of pic related
>>
>>9721907
Wright is basically trad Mieville.

I do agree that the cover is awful.
>>
>>9721942
>WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH STOP ENJOYING THINGS

too bad science disagrees with you
>>
>>9722181
??????
what
>>
>>9721400
Black Company narrator switch wasn't so bad after a while. Croaker is the best but between Lady and dramatic ghostwalker you get a sense of unreliable narrator, as well as how the world goes by and details they don't write down. Also everyone sees themselves differently than they're portrayed.
>>
>>9722184
audiobooks do not cheat your brain
>>
>>9722193
GraphicAudio, not audiobooks in general
>>
>>9722208
are they abridged?
>>
>>9722229
I don't understand why you're commenting on it when you don't even know what GA is
>>
>>9722193
>>9722208
The only "audiobooks" I tolerate are Big Finish audios (which aren't audiobooks but audioplays written to be audioplays with sound effects narrated by multiple people and with suites of music scored for them in 256 kbps quality).

Listening to an audiobook would be shit. Firstly how do people stand 64 kbps quality sound? Secondly, if I hated the narrator I would never enjoy the book. Thirdly, the narrator's voice would now colour my appreciation of my favourite characters for the rest of time. Audiobooks are not something I would enjoy.
>>
>>9722229
Im not commenting on anything I'm asking what they are
>>
>>9722243
meant>>9722236
>>
Is space odyssey 2001 aged well? Should i read it?
>>
Hey guys, does military science fiction uses, or needs, character development? Also what are some legit good Mil!Sci-fi books and writers?
>>
>>9722239
thanks for the blog, mate. upboated
>>
>>9722275
>voice to text
>upboated
>>
>>9721659
Valis was great. How the story crescendos at the end with that one conversation... Fuck.
>>
File: 1436546479911.jpg (83KB, 983x545px) Image search: [Google]
1436546479911.jpg
83KB, 983x545px
>>9722239
>look up big finish
>nothing but dr who
>>
>>9722236
that wasnt me mein friend
>>
File: NealAsher_Polity_Full.jpg (263KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
NealAsher_Polity_Full.jpg
263KB, 1600x1067px
>>9722268
>what are some legit good Mil!Sci-fi books and writers?
Neal Asher senpai
>>
>>9722268
the red trilogy
>>
>>9721942
>Monkeys beating each other with sticks accompanied by Also Sprach Zarathustra

First thing which that pic brings to mind
>>
>>9721342

That sounds just about right, will check it out
>>
>>9720975
You should read the Salmon of Doubt or whatever it's called. It is mostly collected essays with some pieces of a story hacked together by his editor after he died on an elliptical
>>
File: Lolwut.jpg (184KB, 533x594px) Image search: [Google]
Lolwut.jpg
184KB, 533x594px
>>9721342
>Alexi German a Russian director
Nice name.
>>
KELLHUS WE'RE IN UNDERTALE
>>
>>9722895

They actually imported a lot of Germans for expertise, particularly before the USSR. You see people named "German" as well as a lot of "Slobovomir von Kuntz" and so forth.
>>
>>9720535
try Cosmic Banditos
more like science humor than science fiction humor but still
>>
>>9721323

I'm a fairly new Discworld fan, it's a delight. I agree that it's funnier too.

As for Adams, I've only read HHGTTG, are the rest of the books worth looking into?
>>
>>9722328
>tfw shilling Neal Asher and Bv Larson for Years
>finally paying off
>people shilling the books for me
My work is done.
>>
File: Fear-Agent-3.jpg (588KB, 1114x1688px) Image search: [Google]
Fear-Agent-3.jpg
588KB, 1114x1688px
What's the modern novel equivalent of pic related? I know it's inspired by the ancient pulps, but I'd like to read some modern pulpy stuff first.
>>
>>9723618
Don't know what that is from, but the pic makes me think of Bv Larson's Undying Mercenaries.
Neal Asher's Polity Series as shown in this >>9722328 anon's pic
>>
Currently reading Sins of Empire and it's bretty gud

Brian McClellan is pretty solid author so far in his first four books.

Estimate how many fantasy books you read before A Game of Thrones and how many fantasy books you've read since?

Before: 10
After: ~100
>>
Anyone have a working link for the audio book Black sun rising (friedman)
audiobay's one isnt working for me
>>
File: cosmere_constellation_map.jpg (1MB, 2300x1737px) Image search: [Google]
cosmere_constellation_map.jpg
1MB, 2300x1737px
>Xeelee
>Ch-ee-lee
Fuck that bullshit.
>>
File: 1493580792407.jpg (197KB, 1800x1201px) Image search: [Google]
1493580792407.jpg
197KB, 1800x1201px
Can anyone help me find a scifi short story that I remember from a related works 'a wrinkle in time' edition?

>An elementary school class watches as a fairly one-sided alien invasion happens on Earth one week. All of the humans are taken to other worlds to be skilled slaves while Earth is terraformed by the aliens. Years later one of the kids from the class is on some fuckin random planet being watched by some alien overseers, working as a terraforming slave. He comes up to the overseers acting deranged and talks about how the native species on the planet all look like otters from Earth but have human eyes and how badly he misses his home, and that he is going there soon. The aliens pretty much say lol the Earth is methane now slave, get back to work. The slave human is now really freaking out about the human eyes watching him torch their planet, and he tells the aliens that he is going back home and detonates a pack of demolition explosives nearby and kills them all.
>>
>>9723760
>Estimate how many fantasy books you read before A Game of Thrones and how many fantasy books you've read since?
>Before: 400
>After: ~300
I read them late because the size of the pages and the number of books put me off. Now it's small time.
>>
>>9723809
>how do you torrent guys?
>>
I feel that this novel is objectively brilliant for several reasons, and personally find it subjectively so as well. Especially speaking as someone who scores in the top 2% or better on every intelligence test, who for better and worse has done unlikely-to-"impossible" things myself, I am terribly grateful to see such a realistic, authentic and relatable character as Kvothe. I've grown out of, or never shared but can understand, lots of his personality traits, but it is such a joy to be able to experience an intelligent character for once, rather than a caricature attempting to be passed off in it's place.
As well as the beauty of these books, the depth, and how they are true on multiple levels, with their myriad of hidden secrets. The ways they reflect the reader and illuminate so many biases and preconceptions, and illustrate different preferences and how so many can not understand or respect others' opinions (even when they believe they do [which is meant generally]). I read these and weep with joy and understanding, and sometimes struggle not to immediately begin again with the first novel after finishing the second.
>>
>>9719141
400 pages? Have you ever heard of a short story? The best stories are 2-10 pages.
>>
>amazon randomly recommends some book
>go look it up
>5/5 goodreads fanbois
>first google result is a LitRPG blog
>>
>>9723760
I've never read GoT because I dislike fantasy. Up until 2014 or so I almost entirely read science fiction. Until then it was basically LotR/Hobbit and some of Glen Cook's stuff. And Pern when I was a teenager.

Fantasy is generally puerile crap. Overwrought prose, power fantasies, and terribly written romances, the same trouble that post-Star Wars science fiction has where everything has turned into westerns in space.
>>
>>9724395
>Overwrought prose, power fantasies
You really haven't read much fantasy
>>
What can I read with a loli protagonist? Hook me up, /sffg/.
>>
>>9724395
>I've never read GoT because I dislike fantasy.
That's odd because ASoIaF (only TV show plebs call it GoT) is a fantasy series FOR people who dislike fantasy. It would be right up your alley.
>>
>>9724440
Oh sure authors who can write a story that's a absolute pleasure to read exist, but they're few and far between when most authors fall into a range of skill that tops out at being good but nothing outstanding. Likewise few and far between are the authors who write stories that aren't about powerful wizards, chosen heroes, rulers with (literal) divine right, people going on a great quest to stop the ultimate evil (the evil is a allegory for communism/liberalism/Christianity/whatever) and so on. It's one of the reasons I like the recent trend of "gunpowder fantasy," the idea that the random joes of fantasyland now stand a fighting chance against the ancynt mystikal powers wielded by their rulers.
>>
>>9724395
>the same trouble that post-Star Wars science fiction has where everything has turned into westerns in space.

I wish this were true, I love space westerns. As it is I have no idea what books would have even given you this impression.
>>
>>9723982
>the torrent's not working guys. try it for yourselves
>>
>>9724512

have you tried any manga ever written?
>>
>>9720476

The Left Hand of Darkness.
>>
>>9720451

I thought the Cyberiad by Lem was pretty damn funny.
>>
>>9724609
Manga is not a sci-fi or fantasy novel. You know what I'm asking for. I want words, not pictures.
>>
>>9724512
Red Sister
>>
what does /lit/ thinks about Greg Egan is he the Thomas Pynchon of sci fi ?
>>
File: 6818.original.jpg (94KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
6818.original.jpg
94KB, 1920x1080px
>>9721342
watched it last night
pretty good, the world is great and it's a refreshing depiction of how the dark ages actually would be.
the bad parts are that sometimes it's just plain weird for no reason, the story can be hard to follow and some of the shots (like of the horsecock) are just plain bad decisions.
7/10, good movie. probably will watch it again.
and I may read the book now.
>>
>>9718263
>no MechaSkade to step on your throat and call you a zombie
>>
>>9725401
Is that the nerd who won't use a picture on his Wikipedia page? I've never tried his work because as a dirty Catholic sympathizer I know he'd just anger me.
>>
>>9725405
>a movie that came out so many decades ago has such crisp quality
Damn. That's 1080p
>>
>>9725532
the transition from analogue to digital was a rough time for picture and film media
>>
>>9725401
I'll let you know after I read Permutation city this weekend.
>>
>>9725558
>muh lobster consciousness
>>
TUC dropped
>>
>>9725532
it came out in 2013?
>>
>>9720215
Actually, I would bait eriksoniggers, because it seems to me that most bakkerfags don't give a shit about people making fun of him. I usually never got a good response. Probably because they have to be comfortable with themselves if they enjoy reading shit with alien fucbois and soulless dickgirls. Malazanfags, on the other hand, are salty as shit for whatever reason
>>
>>9725793
>alien fucbois and soulless dickgirls

Don't forget the gay rapist barbarian, the gay rapist Kwisatz Haderach, the gay rapist orcs, and the gay rapist soldiers who get high on orc meat.
>>
File: 365756756.jpg (46KB, 277x416px) Image search: [Google]
365756756.jpg
46KB, 277x416px
Hey guys do you recommend this? sell me on it
>>
>>9725793
>if people try to correct me so I don't look like the idiot I am in public, when I speak on something I know nothing about, they are taking my bait
Sanderson, Bakker, and Erickson readers don't give a shit. They just try to stop you making a fool of yourself.
>>
>>9725871
It's a great book for all it's faults. Under no circumstances read book two.
>>
>>9725884
Why? My mate says the second book is just as good as the first one
>>
>>9725895
the second book is pretty much a SoL fantasy book, with lots of sex after the halfway point and a matriarchal ninja society. there's no actual plot and the last two things trigger a lot of people.
some people think it's mediocre/bad, and some people really enjoy the random-ish adventures. it's polarizing, make up your own mind about it.
>>
>>9725895
Your mate is a cuck and should be burnt at the stake along with Rothfuss.
>>
File: The_Secrets_of_Synchronicity.jpg (33KB, 303x500px) Image search: [Google]
The_Secrets_of_Synchronicity.jpg
33KB, 303x500px
>tfw you have to wait for Hypercapitalism to take over before corporations start putting up golden statues of Adam Smith
The first novel length story from a short story author, and it shows. A few fun ideas, but nothing really gripping. Probably the nakedest cover I will read this year. I'll give it 3/5 Scrugals.
>>
>>9725871
>Rothfuss
>>
>>9725878
Sandersonfags and Malazanfags sperg out all the time while Bakkerfags make fun of Bakker too
>>
>>9721648
Vurt.
>>
>>9721659
>>9722285
Finished VALIS last night. Loved it. A Scanner Darkly is my next PKD along with a book of interviews with him.

Is Dune worth reading? What about Brave New World?
>>
>>9720476
The Word For World Is Forest

On the fantasy side, Wizard of Earth sea is excellent, and the follow-ups aren't bad either.
>>
>>9721244
Maybe Perdido Street Station by China Mieville.
Not a fan myself, but it fits that bill and others seem to enjoy it.
>>
>>9721648
Book of the New Sun is as weird as they come imho. Certainly better than actual acid.
>>
>>9724516
This. It's an epic medieval drama with fantasy elements drip-fed throughout.
>>
>>9726721
Brave New World is a more imaginative 1984 with real philosophical questions instead of heavyhanded political theory, and is also a super quick read. I'd definitely recommend it.
>>
>>9726769
It's a war of the roses fanfiction with magic
>>
>>9726721
Brave new world is really good, but should be read alongside 1984 (the pair are a nice duo)
Dune is required reading but not really incredible. I enjoyed it enough.

While you're on Dick read Ubik
>>
You guys can buy TUC now because it's released in UK. Just change your Amazon address
>>
>>9726950
>buying ebooks

No thanks senpai. I own all the other hard copies, not stopping now
>>
>>9726968
>my mother sends me money every month
Haha yeah bro!
>>
>>9725895
>My mate says the second book is just as good as the first one
It's not. It's not as bad as some say and I'll probably read the third if it's ever released but it was a disappointment.
>>
>>9727028
I just meant if I'm buying it, I'll wait for the hardcover. Literally spending even more money
>>
>>9726787
I didn't care for 1984 too much, though I appreciated it for what it was. I think if I had read it outside of an academic setting (Junior year in high school) I would have liked it more.

>>9726814
Ubik was the second Dick I read, the first being Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
>>
>Brave New World
>1984
You should also read Kallocain, a perfect mix of 1984 and BNW that's neither as political as 1984 or as absurd as BNW.
>>
>>9727071
The politics and absurdity make the books anon
>huh u should read Mr Men over The Republic because there's less politics
yes i fucking know but that's why I bought it
>>
>>9727071
also if you want to complete the trilogy of awkward-funny "shit world" books you need to read Zemyatin's We
>>
WHERE THE FUCK IS TUC ARGH
>>
>>9727229
lol its out im reading it now
>>
>>9727229
What is TUC?
>>
>>9727345
>>
File: 1497630531272.png (138KB, 246x279px) Image search: [Google]
1497630531272.png
138KB, 246x279px
>>9727354
>>
File: thinking.png (53KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
thinking.png
53KB, 256x256px
>>9727354
Now you're talking my language
>>
>>9726806

It also has a lot of hellenistic and byzantine history, which sucks because those elements could have been combined so much better if martin wasn't a fat edgy boomer

Still infinitely superior to the show which is literally feces
>>
>>9726748

I'll go for that one too. I also got city of saints and madmen which is close enough to be worthwhile, holding my attention and not cringy enough to delete in disgust so far
>>
Can somebody recommend me a book with the theme centered around this quote:

"No one cared who I was until I put on the mask."

I like the idea of a mask giving someone power.
>>
>>9725793
Kind of hard to make fun of a guy who failed at getting a PHD so now he writes rape fiction for redditors while going "only hacks write fantasy!"

I mean it's like, you could make fun of him but his very existence is enough.
>>
>>9725793
>Probably because they have to be comfortable with themselves if they enjoy reading shit with alien fucbois and soulless dickgirls.

Wh-who writes this, again? I'm asking for a friend
>>
>>9727403
The Mask: The Comic
>>
>>9727403
I've heard of someone called... the masketta man....
>>
>>9727414
>writes rape fiction for redditors
please, mein guter neger. rape fiction is too sophisticated for merely redditors. join us in /d/ for the highest of art
>>
>>9727479

I can't figure out where to post my amazon nazi she male rape mythology stories, they don't really seem to fit in /d/, /tg/, /pol/ or /lit/, more like a combination of all four
>>
>>9727493
Then why not just post it in all of them?
>>
>>9725401
Thomas Pynchon is the Thomas Pynchon of sci-fi
>>
>>9727498

Good idea, why didn't I think of that
>>
>>9727424
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Scott_Bakker
>>
File: meat.jpg (43KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
meat.jpg
43KB, 300x300px
Sranc meat is a hell of a drug.
>>
>>9727558
>death came swirling down

EVERY FUCKING BOOK
>>
At work today a random thought popped into my head. "The Malazan Book of the Alphabet. A is for Anomander, B is for Bottle..." and I giggled like a retard for a good two hours.
>>
>>9727585
I wish I could hate you to death.
>>
>>9727585
lmoa
>>
File: DUDE.png (2MB, 1334x894px) Image search: [Google]
DUDE.png
2MB, 1334x894px
>>9727536
>Canadian

Say no more
>>
Can you bakkerfags recommend me something similar to the Belgariad? A straight up epic fantasy that's just executed really well and also sort of pokes fun at itself?
>>
>>9725871
I feel that this novel is objectively brilliant for several reasons, and personally find it subjectively so as well. Especially speaking as someone who scores in the top 2% or better on every intelligence test, who for better and worse has done unlikely-to-"impossible" things myself, I am terribly grateful to see such a realistic, authentic and relatable character as Kvothe. I've grown out of, or never shared but can understand, lots of his personality traits, but it is such a joy to be able to experience an intelligent character for once, rather than a caricature attempting to be passed off in it's place.
As well as the beauty of these books, the depth, and how they are true on multiple levels, with their myriad of hidden secrets. The ways they reflect the reader and illuminate so many biases and preconceptions, and illustrate different preferences and how so many can not understand or respect others' opinions (even when they believe they do [which is meant generally]). I read these and weep with joy and understanding, and sometimes struggle not to immediately begin again with the first novel after finishing the second.
>>
>>9725191
Thanks.

>It's not until you're broken that you find your sharpest edge
Nice.
>>
>>9727672
>Belgariad

I'm not hating but that's a kid's series. Literally Hobbit tier.
>>
It's strange how I run hot and cold on some writers, and this changes unannounced. I was previously underwhelmed by Arthur C Clarke, his functional prose, limp plots and cardboard characters, but his A Fall Of Moondust is the only book I felt like reading after stopping and starting a dozen books during the last few days. Either this is a blip in my judgement, or this will turn out to be a low-key good read among his more well known and overrated works.
>>
>>9727675
bad luck, someone already posted this pham. try such gems as Rothfuss's review of Lies of Locke Lamora or the passage about Kvothe's creepy nice guy rant about Denna.
>>
>>9727688
I posted it both times, but I'd appreciate it if you hooked me up with those things.
>>
>>9727661
Am I supposed to prefer the left image or something?
>>
>>9727709

No, you can be a homosexual. I can't stop you
>>
File: ooh matron.jpg (17KB, 350x343px) Image search: [Google]
ooh matron.jpg
17KB, 350x343px
>>9727354
>>
>>9727683
and it's still better than most fantasy, kid series or adult.
>>
File: tigertiger.jpg (161KB, 848x852px) Image search: [Google]
tigertiger.jpg
161KB, 848x852px
>>9727403
The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester

not exactly a mask, but kind of. you'll see. classic book.
>>
>>9727685
You're right about Clarke imho, but I really enjoyed The Song of Distant Earth.
>>
>>9727403
Yeah, here you go, you fucking memer.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1781161062
>>
>>9727732

thought it said MADMAN on his head at first
>>
>>9727229
>>9727329
>>9727345
https://forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=1293&t=2143244&hilit=the+unholy+consult
>>
File: Sranc.jpg (77KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
Sranc.jpg
77KB, 1024x640px
real creative there, Bakker.
>>
>>9727822
Which movie's that?

>>9727688
>Rothfuss's review of Lies of Locke Lamora
Every time I think that I couldn't possibly loathe the man more he finds a new way to disgust me.
>>
File: 20170708-8713-i1rcx6.jpg (451KB, 649x1803px) Image search: [Google]
20170708-8713-i1rcx6.jpg
451KB, 649x1803px
>>9727688
>Rothfuss's review of Lies of Locke Lamora
That one is a real doozy.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/99607064
>>
>"Some souls are broken in such a way as to think themselves whole," he said. "The more they are flawed, the more they presume their own perfection."
- R. Scott Bakker

damn lol
>>
>>9727403
U r unironically a cunt
>>
hey uh no homo but I'm enjoying too like the lightning
>>
>>9727959
Good taste.
>>
>that 3 page scene in TUC where Kellhus NTRs Achamian with Esmenet to "make him submit"

Bravo bakker
>>
File: afrank.jpg (37KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
afrank.jpg
37KB, 600x400px
Is pic related worth a read?
>>
>>9727893
Is it bad or something?
>>
>>9727585
C is for Coltain
D is for dujek
E is for eserul puss
F is for Felensin
G is for Grub
H is for hood
>>
So I finished Roadside Picnic. Am I understanding right that the wish was granted and that freedom meant death because it's the only way to be truly free or is my ADD showing me things I want to to see to help me understand shit better?
>>
>>9727893
>a published author has an account on fucking Goodreads of all places where he does reviews of other books
What the fuck?
>>
>>9728505
Regardless of whether it's good or bad (I don't know as I haven't read it) the problem with that review is that he spends so much time talking about himself and his own book instead of, you know, the book he's reviewing.
>>
Hey, any other books where a character does the *teleports behind you*? Besides Traveler's Gate, obviously.
>>
File: 1495462650719.jpg (58KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
1495462650719.jpg
58KB, 460x460px
>>9718098
>blindsight
My fucking nigga. (Echopraxia, thouh, is 2deep5me)
>>
Where can i download The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O.?
>>
God, why am I even reading this shit?
I remember long ago I liked the first book, but now it's a slog to get through every page. I swear every book gets more and more like a gay porno. I fully expect the end of TUC to be five solid chapters of highly-detailed explicit gay orgies. Where Kellus has to give a blowjob to God and the entire world depends on his superhuman oral sex skills. Men will weep with joy at the divine rimjob no mere mortal could ever perform, and we'll learn the the Logos, the Absolute, is just a metaphor for becoming flexible enough to suck your own dick.
>>
>>9728538
If you're referring to The older Stalkers son getting painfully wasted, that wasn't the fulfillment of the wish, that was the presence in front of the wish granter. The older Stalker realized that the only way to calm it and get by was to let it kill somebody. Redrick (I read the book years ago, is that his name) gave the older Stalker's son to the presence to spite the guy because he was a bastard but then felt crushed because he realized that the son was planning to use his wish to make the whole world happy right before he got Zoned. As far as I understood the ending nobody made a wish, but Redrick may before leaving.
>>
>>9728663
Ah this makes more sense. Time to reread.
>>
>>9728645
Now i want to read this
>>
File: face.jpg (46KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
face.jpg
46KB, 1280x720px
I'm gonna read The Name of the Wind.
>mfw I somehow end up unironically loving it
>>
>>9728898
Only people with a high enough IQ can truly appreciate it
>>
>>9728898
Read and be lost forever. /sffg/ is Wolfe-man territory. Have fun with your new friends on Reddit/Goodreads.
>>
>>9727893
Is Rothfuss a meme?
>>
>>9719113
What do you mean by "gets a little anime at times"?
>>
File: hiii.png (245KB, 468x382px) Image search: [Google]
hiii.png
245KB, 468x382px
>>9728645
If that's not a ringing endorsement, then I don't know what is
>>
File: c6e0cb2fe7c24e527bbf140d1914df6a.jpg (831KB, 914x1280px) Image search: [Google]
c6e0cb2fe7c24e527bbf140d1914df6a.jpg
831KB, 914x1280px
I need some books that feature mechas n shit
>>
Can anyone recommend me some recent (2000-present) Cyberpunk books that aren't just a pasta of Neuromancer and the " hacker VS evil corporation" plot?
>>
>>9729309
Apocalypse Now Now
pretty cool urban fantasy in african setting, murder mystery, is the kid just fucking crazy? Last ten minutes, there's suddenly a magical mecha battle out of fucking nowhere. I mean, what the fuck?
>>
>>9729341
I'm nearing halfway through Stross's Accelerado and it's really good
Very thematically dense and ideas rich, if written a little confusingly at time
Also saucy moments
>>
>>9727832
>Which movie's that?

Looks like a still from Serenity. Bit of a jump scare moment.
>>
>>9729355
I'll check it out, thanks!
>>
File: The-Three-Body-Problem.jpg (610KB, 662x1000px) Image search: [Google]
The-Three-Body-Problem.jpg
610KB, 662x1000px
That's so crazy, I love it.
On to The Dark Forest.
>>
>>9729341
I also recommend Accelerando by Stross

It deals with how we might approach the Singularity, going from a world we would recognise as very similar to today's, to something... well, I won't spoil it for you.

I'll just say that I found it kind of terrifying
>>
>>9729395
I saw this in the bookshop the other day. Wondering whether to go for it, can you describe some books its similar to?
>>
>>9728645
Im enjoying the first few chapters but holy shit you just made me piss myself laughing
>>
tell me /sffg/ meme books
>>
>>9728544
Goodreads has millions of users. It's a free platform for authors to interact with their readers, and a free way to market your books.
I told you wannabe authors you can self publish on Amazon and shill your book in goodreads, someone will bite and if it's good will shill to their friends. As an author you take whatever tools are handed to you.
Mark Lawrence, Rothfuss, Stephen King, Brandon Sanderson, Scott Lynch, etc are "goodreads authors".
>>
File: 1480283451501.jpg (346KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1480283451501.jpg
346KB, 1920x1080px
>>9729280
Read way of kings and find out. Although it's not as anime as the house of blades.
>>
>>9729430
Read the last thread and the ones before that. They shill it pretty hard in there.
>>
File: Sffg memes.jpg (1MB, 2544x1900px) Image search: [Google]
Sffg memes.jpg
1MB, 2544x1900px
>>9729507
All the characters pic related are from books, thus those books are memes.

Also OATHS BRINGER WHEN????? WHERE IS MY BROWN COUGAR JAZNAH??
>>
File: CRWarchild.jpg (43KB, 296x475px) Image search: [Google]
CRWarchild.jpg
43KB, 296x475px
pic related has good character development, even if he still is an ass by the end of it. Also one if my favorite books of all time.
Has anyone else read the series? If so, please discuss, i'm thirsty for it and I don't want to go to tumblr where fans just autistically sperg out over shipping and other useless shit to the author.
>>
>>9729622
dammit, meant to reply to >>9722268
>>
Hey Canada. How is Joyland by Stephen King?
>>
Reading Dune for the first time. Am I going to ascend or some shit?
>>
File: 1445885108128.png (121KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1445885108128.png
121KB, 500x500px
Who else really fucking hates it when a fantasy writer uses a modern phrase or idiom common in real life but clearly unsuitable to the world they've created?
>>
>>9729825
>writer only uses in-universe cursing
>drops a fuck after like three books
>>
>>9718098

Fuck blindsight, what a letdown.

On another note, is there any cyberpunk/scifi lit that has the feel of the E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy game? Quasi-religious iconography/kabbalistic and greek influences, weird interdimensional alien forces, in-fighting of various corporate sects...something like that?
>>
>>9729825
Sapkowski (aka the Witcher guy) once had a fit when a editor changed "I'm so intelligent" to "I'm so wise".
>>
How do you feel about modern speech patterns in older settings? I don't mean memes and slang, I mean the way your average person speaks.
>>
>>9729988
Speech in literature is a convention. Nobody speaks like authors write it unless it's some experimental novel nobody reads.
>>
>>9729622
I got it. Some anon on here was doing e-book requests and since I couldn't find it otherwise, kind anon got me the whole series. I like it. I'm a weirdo, so even though I like it, I haven't finished it. His personality was kind of grating. Liked the aliens, but the "japanese aliens" thing got really obnoxious, real fast. Also it suffers from the "mc is a prodigy" thing, but I could forgive it because Lowachee actually put effort into giving a REASON why mc would be good.

Never seen anyone else mention it before, besides myself. You been on Rassaku?
>>
I read Elric of Melnibone. It was OK, just a squarely competent little pulp revenge story. Don't understand why people have a really strong reaction to it, positive or negative. Maybe later Elric books are more remarkable? I like the Ship that Sails On Land and Sea.

Would I be correct in thinking that Niun, the guy who says he was banished for crossing "Orlan of the Staff", is from another Moorcock series? It seems like he did the whole "Cosmere" thing decades before Sanderson with the idea of the Eternal Champion.
>>
>>9729988
In most cases I like it better than a lot of faux-medieval "ye" and "thine". Unless the author is actually a medievalist like Tolkien, or puts a significant amount of research into not sounding stupid.
>>
File: 1451658294896.jpg (10KB, 152x154px) Image search: [Google]
1451658294896.jpg
10KB, 152x154px
>>9729865
I love Erikson's swearing when he puts in the effort but he did do just what you're describing.
>l'd swear it with one heel on Hood's own foreskin, Captain.
>>
>>9730034
>"ye"
Oh god. Especially since even the most rudimentary fucking research would tell you that "ye" is actually just "the" with a thorn instead of a th.
>>
Less than a month left until Age of Swords comes out !!
>>
>>9730012
Never heard of Rassaku before, but I just looked it up and it's exactly what i've been looking for, so thanks anon.
I never got the "Japanese aliens" thing, it might be just me, but they seem more Native American and middle eastern based. It makes sense, since the author herself has Native blood.
Finish reading the series so you can get to Cagebird, I found it superior to Burndive and Warchild in almost every single way. I'm also excited for the apparent 4th book coming out either this or next year.
>>
>>9730128
Hey, no problem, glad I could be of service. She's pretty reliable with her reviews, but I've read a couple 3 star ones I really liked, so don't let that scare you off (I'm reading Book of Tongues right now).

I'll definitely try to get that far- I'm pretty spastic, so I bounce between books a lot, but I plan on it.
>>
>>9730150
How far into it are you?
>>
>>9730188
Femme- he just got sorted into the bunks. I think he started introducing them, but eh.
>>
File: 1447477784263.jpg (181KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1447477784263.jpg
181KB, 750x750px
I'm quite drunk since it's saturday and I just finished with Return of the Crimson Guard earlier in the day but I don't like reading drunk because minutiae easily escape me then so should I go ahead with Toll the Hounds this evening or not?
i lready looked at the Dramatis Personae and it has all my favorite characters too!
>>
>>9730150
>Female reviewer
LITERALLY WHY?!?
>>
File: 1497163908625.gif (891KB, 432x432px) Image search: [Google]
1497163908625.gif
891KB, 432x432px
>>9730207
Oh, it took me a bit to realize, that's like halfway through Warchild, right? About to get to the good parts, Jos becomes more likeable at around this point, because man, FUCK the jets, and fuck Azarcon and Dorr for treating best boy like shit, they're still great characters, just complete dicks. I've no idea why people like them.
>>
File: 1483672856458.jpg (113KB, 462x704px) Image search: [Google]
1483672856458.jpg
113KB, 462x704px
>>9730289
goddammit, wrong pic...
>>
>>9729911
>dislikes BS
>wants recommendations off vidya

it all makes sense
>>
>>9729988

I think you can impart an archaic feel without making dialogue difficult to understand, but that going too far into Faulkner territory with accents and phonetic spellings is almost as tiresome to read as it is to write, even if it's done well. Best used in moderation.
>>
>>9729621
>Sunset found her squatting in the grass

LMAO my new favorite quote from all 19.25 million pages of asoif
>>
>>9722268
David Drake is probably one of the best military scifi writers out there.
>>
File: 1.jpg (23KB, 147x206px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
23KB, 147x206px
>names have more apostrophes than a Type Moon game has slashes
>>
>>9730473
God-awful names are Iain M. Banks' one unforgivable sin.

I'm a big fan of his sci-fi but fuuuuck me, the (non-spaceship) character names are dreadful
>>
Why is KEKOLDRY so prominent in fantasy books.
>>
>>9729825
"I work like a horse," Ulio said, mounting his laskal'o and riding to gwai.
>>
>>9730490
Because they're mostly written by autistic virgins
>>
>>9730346

It's been a while since I read it, but from what I remember BS was just boring. 1D characters, the alien ship could have been interesting but wasn't developed enough to be, the protag's brain enhancements (or whatever he had done to him) sounded like amplified autism...
Ballard and Chiang are much better scifi writers desu

And I asked for recs because EYE had a super interesting concept/world, but it was so ruinously executed that it's difficult to enjoy. So I want what it was going for but done competently
>>
>SFF writers then
>Philip K. Dick writes a book per week in a drug-fueled frenzy to pay his rent
>SFF writers now
>Patrick Rothfuss writes two books, then sits with his thumb in his arse for the next ten years
What happened?
>>
>>9730524
Socialism
>>
>>9730524
Someone mentioned in an earlier thread that it's because writers today are inspired by lesser authors than the oldies.
>>
New
>>9730551
>>9730551
>>9730551
>>
File: m8masl.jpg (1008KB, 1500x768px) Image search: [Google]
m8masl.jpg
1008KB, 1500x768px
Count Counsel General Janus bet Vhalnich Mieran is my autismbando!
>>
>>9719755
>low-tech setting
Did we read the same book?
Thread posts: 337
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.