[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 361
Thread images: 58

File: china autograph.jpg (358KB, 640x796px) Image search: [Google]
china autograph.jpg
358KB, 640x796px
Mieville edition

Review of the Bas-Lag trilogy
https://frivolouswastesoftime.wordpress.com/2012/08/12/the-bas-lag-trilogy-by-china-mieville/

His Top 10 Weird Fiction Books
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2002/may/16/fiction.bestbooks

Essay on the Weird vs. the Hauntological
http://weirdfictionreview.com/2011/11/m-r-james-and-the-quantum-vampire-by-china-mieville/

Fantasy
Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg
General:
>https://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg
Flowchart:
>https://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg

Science Fiction
Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg
General:
>https://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>https://i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Threads:
>>9556572
>>9548752
>>9543080
>>9535547
>>9526856
>>9520188
>>9512340
>>
Female warriors ruin books

Any good books with female warriors?
>>
File: 1495993258197.png (64KB, 729x448px) Image search: [Google]
1495993258197.png
64KB, 729x448px
More GRRM procastinating.
>>
>>9564912
The Crimson Queen by Alec Hutson has one. The thing that really cemented her as a "Good" female warrior is a discussion she has with the main character, where she's berating him for doing something reckless and stupid. When he asks if she would have run away, she confidently and proudly declares "I run away more often than I fight".

That kind of thing makes me appreciate a character a whole lot more. Maybe it's different for others, but I liked it.
>>
>>9564912
Good? Hmm I don't recall them, Half a world one perhaps, like a Brienne of Tarth, aren't that grating. Sauce from the traitor son trilogy at the first book, later the drop in quality is too much.
>>
>>9564901
This man has some mighty strange fetishes
>>
>>9564912
Malazan.
>>
File: ss (2017-05-26 at 03.40.09).png (5KB, 369x139px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-05-26 at 03.40.09).png
5KB, 369x139px
>>9564912
Red Sister by Mark Lawrence
Came out recently
>>
File: 1474753159211.jpg (346KB, 1280x1502px) Image search: [Google]
1474753159211.jpg
346KB, 1280x1502px
is Blindsight the only good book with a female warrior?
>>
>>9565224
can you keep your mom-seid fetish shit in your containment thread on /co/ please?
>>
File: Mieville_Embassytown_2011_UK.jpg (45KB, 321x500px) Image search: [Google]
Mieville_Embassytown_2011_UK.jpg
45KB, 321x500px
>>9564901
>Mieville edition

I recently read his book Embassytown and I liked it overall.
The book did seem to suffer from a lack of agency at first, as there appeared to be nothing happening in the first half of the book, didn't even notice any ominous foreshadowing. So for much of the book instead of action we get a leisurely walk through this sci-fi world where much is shown but is rarely described in detail.
But Mr Mieville has indeed painted an interesting picture, as he tends to.
Not many memorable characters though.
>>
I've been reading through Lord Dunsany's A Dreamer's Tales and they're like a breathe of fresh air; little fantasy stories, parables and fables that draw from myths and folk tales. He is an Anglo-Irish writer who was popular during his lifetime, creating comprehensive secondary worlds and fictional cosmologies in the 1910s/20s, a while before The Lord Of The Rings (1937.)
>>
File: monkey paw.jpg (27KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
monkey paw.jpg
27KB, 512x384px
>after years of being out of print in your country, sci-fi classics by Wolfe, Simmons, Tevis, Brunner, Gibson and a couple others are finally being rereleased in a monthly, hardcover series with ribbon bookmarks and a unified, modern cover design
>the actual text of the novels is in sans-serif font
Fucking monkey's paw.
>>
>>9564919
¿Qué quería decir con esto?

:thinking emoji:
>>
>>9565464

I'm working on an epic fantasy series, a collection of poems and short stories, a study of ethics starting from the pre-socratics, and several tragedies.

Oh, wait, I'm doing none of those things.
>>
>>9565464
No different than those mangaka that try to do two more manga along with their main one and wind up making all three shit and pissing off the fanbase of the main one.
>>
>>9564879
>>9564883
He said multiple times that no one is going to fnish it. It dies with him, he probably got a will stating that. Why do you think the fans are so anxious for him to finish? If he dies and it's incomplete, it stays that way.
>>
Are there many good fantasy/sci fi short story collections? I only own Ted Chiangs and i'm going to order Gene Wolfes soon.
>>
>>9565748
Didn't he give an outline of future plot events to the show's producers anyway? It may have changes, but whoever ends up sitting on the pointy chair in the show is who GURM intends to sit in the chair in the books. If he wants to spend the rest of his life procrastinating and untangling his clusterfuck plot, then whatever, TV producers finished it for him.
>>
>>9565748
No sweat. 75 years after his death the manuscripts and what-have-you goes into the public domain. Just be patient, anon
inb4 there is nothing, he did nothing
>>
>>9565768
Yeah, he gave them the basic plot points including resolution so there's no need to worry anymore about reading his shitty books. He's been working on the series since 1991. He can go choke on a burrito and fucking die for all I care.
>>
right i was sent here by a friend so i hope i can a good answer

whats the entry point for scfi-fi and fantasy?
by that i want the basics and the elite.
the best

modern and classic, just give me the best.

i have a two month holiday ahead of me of dont hold back
>>
>>9565829
Start with Malazan.
>>
I started the Black Company series and I'm wondering if it's worth reading all the books. What are the best and worst in the series? I'm not a big fan of the prose so far but I'm more than willing to give it a chance if it improves. I plan on reading the first three books at least since I bought the Chronicles but what about beyond that?
>>
>>9565802
Nothing will go into public domain ever again, Anon. Not until Disney goes bankrupt and stops bribing the US government to change copyright laws. Steamboat Willie killed the public domain.
>>
>>9565829
Did you bother reading the info at the top of the thread, especially the flowchart? Maybe reading isn't for you, little guy
>>
Have any of you lads read the dread empire's fall?

I'm really enjoying it.
>>
>>9565849
I found the black company overrated as fuck and damn boring. Croaker was the only characters than I gave a fuck, I read three books and gave up, the setting did nothing and the magic was too anime/high powered for my taste
>>
>>9565910
The grim company was funny as fuck
>>
>>9565910
I get the feeling it's held in high regard because it broke from conventions in its day, but so far it's kind of juvenile and cheesy in parts
>>
>>9565916
I remind it as a slog desu, picking and wandering to other shit a few times.
>>9565919
What conventions did it break? Perhaps I'm to harsh to in retrospective, but it really didn't click anything.
>>
>>9565941
I really liked the relationship between Kayne and Jayk. The Halfman had me in stitches half the time too.
>>
>>9565829
Posts like this are proof that having big copy/paste autism OPs full of links are pointless. Retards don't read the OP.
>>
>>9565910
>the magic was too anime/high powered for my taste
Funnily enough The Black Company is probably the only book I've read so far where explaining how the actual fuck the magic works would have improved it.
>>
File: 1479500994219.jpg (36KB, 500x485px) Image search: [Google]
1479500994219.jpg
36KB, 500x485px
>>9565898
Why has no one read this
>>
>>9566046
>grim company
Aw shit I tought you were talking about the black company, I didn't read the grim company, how is it like?
>>
Has anyone read Rothfuss' reviews on Goodreads? He's like one of those awful facebook moms who can't stop posting about their children. He always shoehorns his kids into the reviews and ends up talking more about them than giving an idea about wtf the books is about. He's the worst.
>>
>>9565898
>>9566098
it's on my list
>>
>>9566199
I looked at his reviews and noticed more that he seems to really hate a lot of children's books.
>>
>>9566199
>Has anyone read Rothfuss' reviews on Goodreads
>Patrick Rothfuss's Favorite Authors
>Felicia Day
>Wil Wheaton
I'm so fucking retarded I couldn't find his review list, but I decided to close the tab after seeing that.
>>
>>9566199
>using good reads at all
>>
>>9566473
It's a good way to get an idea of a book anon.
Like how many tumblr like reviews it has (with gifs about doctor who/supernatural), a wild lawrence review etc.
Also anyone has finished the Fitz and the Fool?
The ending man, it's kinda of bittersweet and felt kinda of wonky, I expected better of my gay man Hobb.
>>
>>9566199
I couldn't even read his bio. He reminds me of this cunt from my undergrad days who used to think he was smarter than all the professors and tried arguing with them all the time, always getting BTFO
>>
>>9564799
>Unhewn throne is the only recent one I've read that hasn't had a really noticeable drop in quality after the first or second book.
You a fucking Adare apologist? You support that fratricidial who?
>>
>>9565862
This. Any books on disney destroying the copyright laws?
>>
File: dispossessed.jpg (54KB, 330x540px) Image search: [Google]
dispossessed.jpg
54KB, 330x540px
>Reading pic related over the weekend
>Today I reach the part where he meets the partner
>Realize how lonely I am
>tfw ywn move into a double with a Qt ancom gril
>tfw ywn lie with her on the plains of Abbenay and gaze at Urras
>tfw ywn be the couple that everyone else wants to be
>close book
>curl up in fetal position for a couple hours
Why even try if even escapism hurts
>>
>>9564912
Legend
Book of the New Sun

Both are extremely minimal with it and neither make the mistake of assuming that the kindest way to treat women is to represent them as men with vaginas.
>>
>>9565765
Harlan Ellison is a pretty solid short fiction writer.
>>
>>9566876
Is the book any good though?
>>
>>9566932
>recommending Gene Wolfe for females
lol

He's honestly one of the only authors I've ever read whose worse than Sanderson at righting them. Maybe Goodkind beats him but that's about it.
>>
File: download.jpg (11KB, 276x182px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11KB, 276x182px
Which does /lit/ prefer: high fantasy or low fantasy?
>>
>>9566974
Whichever is written better.

But hey - some people like tomatoe sauce, and others like barbeque. It's all up to you, really.
>>
File: star force.jpg (35KB, 318x404px) Image search: [Google]
star force.jpg
35KB, 318x404px
>>9564901
So I stuck with this series despite the first book sucking and it paid off.

Probably doesn't quite reach undying mercenaries smooth, but by adding good side characters (Kwon, Marvin and Hoon) and knocking off bad (tfw no gf) ones the series rights itself and rallies. The "son of" follow-on is almost better, just because the son is exactly the same character better practiced and the sidekicks are cherry picked from the first series.

Once I'd made it through the first three or so it was like I'd opened a can of pringles.
>>
>>9566957
SKIRT
SMOOTHED
BRAID
TUGGED
>>
File: andromeda_011017_colored&shaded.png (117KB, 928x1540px) Image search: [Google]
andromeda_011017_colored&shaded.png
117KB, 928x1540px
This isn't for an actual book or anything, but say I had a world that was a bit like Dune in terms of the type of sci-fi. As in, supernatural elements existed very subtly, as did weird tech and occultism, but for the most part there was nothing supernatural. Now say that I miss this character I killed off in my story and his daughter is having these visions of if she goes on a great journey she may be able to find some ancient tech (from a faction I already introduced that lives in the middle of the hollow planet on a series of asteroids, having been exiled there because they "built" the planet then were locked inside when the colony ships arrived 10,000 years later and by then they were more evolved and thus the "inferior" people were locked away) that would allow her to resurrect him. She and her brother have already replaced him as the "main" characters but her brother just isn't as strong of a character, I liked having a generic protagonist (even though he really wasn't that generic) and he is too tied up with running his own fleet of ships to be that into the action while still making sense. She isn't, but ... I don't know, I want to resurrect him but I worry that (1) it's hacky, and (2) his place in the story is gone, it's like (to use a shitty example) if Jk Rowling started writing a book about Harry Potter's children, but then didn't like any of the characters she made for this new series so she brought Harry Potter back from the dead to fill in for them. It's a bit like that, and it's a shitty story like HP anyway so it's kind of a fitting example. I would like any advice you may have, however.
>>
>>9566957
That doesn't seem fair. When most people think of women in Wolfe's work they go straight for Book of the New Sun, a story in which all of the women central to the plot not only belong to a culture foreign to our own, but are quite nuts even that context. Have you ever read any of his work beyond New Sun? Aunt Olivia from 'Peace' I think is a particularly interesting character.
>>
>>9567016
A lot more information would probably be needed to make any kind of informed decision here. Dune fucked around with resurrection but the concept was considered world-changingly huge and the person being brought back was a huge deal in each case.

Are you just bringing back your dead protagonist because plot has to happen to somebody and you like him or is the fact that he's Protagonist come again from death actually going to be relevant to what happens from that point onwards? Dune's gholas never felt hackey because both the people bringing them back had sound reasons to do so and because the gholas actually continued to grow as characters and have some agency in the plot.
>>
>Luna: New Moon

This book has like 10 PoV characters and I'm pretty sure all of them are intentionally unlikable.
>>
>>9567090
>This book has like 10 PoV characters and I'm pretty sure all of them are intentionally unlikable.
Sounds avant-garde.
>>
Are the Expanse books any good? How about the show?
>>
>>9567186
Bretty good, show's fantastic

They do vary a bit in quality between each book though with the general trend being slightly worse. There's a poster here who hates Daniel Abraham so expect to be told they're dogshit soon.
>>
>>9567200
It'll be a while before I would get around to reading them but I thought about watching the show either until then or maybe instead. Is the show a good replacement for the books?
>>
>>9567186
I tried to read one and honestly hated it and I am a massive Abrahamfag.
>>
I know this question is pleb as fuck, but are any of Gene Wolfe's books easier to read than Book of the New Sun? I really enjoyed it but at the same time I had a hard time following it.
>>
>>9567348
yeah he's done a lot of accessible ones
>>
>>9567359
Is there one in particular you would recommend?
>>
>>9567367
I've read The Wizard Knight, There Are Doors and Devil in the Forest, and I think they're pretty easy to read.
>>
>>9567373
Cool, I'll probably check out The Wizard Knight.
Thanks for the suggestions m8
>>
>>9567348
Easiest novel would definitely be 'The Devil in a Forest'. He wrote it for his kids and it was marketed towards a younger audience but the quality doesn't suffer for it at all. It's a fantastic piece of historical fiction, a coming of age story and a kind of mystery type thing too. It feels very Chesterton-like.

His short fiction is also very good, some might be pretty damn complicated but even if you pick one of those ones you haven't wasted too much time beating your head against the wall. Most are under 20 pages.
>>
>>9564901
I'm a brainlet so can someone pls spoonfeed me this one thing:
I finished Book of the New Sun, why was Vodalus and Thea digging up a corpse in the graveyard right at the start?
>>
>>9567483
The body they were digging up was right near the Citadel, it would have been somebody at least somewhat important who had knowledge worth eating.
>>
File: 1494627404875.jpg (39KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494627404875.jpg
39KB, 720x720px
>Then Manwë and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aulë; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. 'Eru is bountiful,' she said. 'Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.'
>'Nonetheless they will have need of wood,' said Aulë, and he went on with his smith-work.

Is he the best character?
>>
File: Destroyermen.jpg (44KB, 308x499px) Image search: [Google]
Destroyermen.jpg
44KB, 308x499px
any one else read this series?
>>
>>9567493
I thought so, was just worried I missed something more important. Thanks man.
>>
I haven't really read much in a while, what are some good High Fantasy books/series you would recommend?
Something somewhat lighthearted would be preferred but I'm very open to suggestions.
>>
>>9567528

I have been meme'd into trying Way of Kings, and despite my initially brutal opinion of Sanderson, I'm enjoying it a lot.
>>
>>9567506
Craftsman types are nearly always best. They're usually Earth elementals, practical, calm, dependable.

Good for cozy points if you got a dangerous or weird world.
>>
>>9567528
The Wizard Knight
>>
>>9566062
Well, now we only have to call him a retard instead of writing a long response. And I like calling out retards.
>>
>>9567567
Not that Anon but how exactly were the recommendations in the OP made?
Was there a poll of some sort?
>>
>>9564912
Joe abercrombie's short story series features one who's well done
>>
>>9567537
I was about to shittalk you for reading meme books but then I realized I've read more or less every meme book/series in this thread except Malazan.
>>
How is Lyonesse?
I've read very conflicting opinions about it.
I've never read Jack Vance.
>>
File: 1495987310793.jpg (14KB, 185x268px) Image search: [Google]
1495987310793.jpg
14KB, 185x268px
>>9567186

The show and books are completely different. The novels tend to be clearer and more to the point, whereas the show loves to spice things up with unnecessary drama. I don't know. I thought the show was bad and I quit it after a few episodes, then went and read the books (up to the third, then stopped again).

I don't think they're mind-blowing, but they're okay. Not sure it's worth the time investment. But if you absolutely must go with one of the two, go with the novels. The prose of the original authors fairs a lot better when compared to the directing and acting in the show.
>>
>>9567585

You can do much worse than Malazan, still. There's always The Name of the Wind.
>>
>>9567627
>implying I've not read it
Literally not that much wrong with Name of the Wind. Wise Mans Fear is where it got stupid.
>>
>>9567592
When I started it at 16 years it bored me, and I tend to love Vance.

Anyone there liked Legends of the Dragolance?
It was good when I read it, easy flow, interesting characters (poor Tanis and Sturm) and an interestign setting. Shame the expanded universe is so shitty.
>>
File: 1495857076014.jpg (49KB, 481x461px) Image search: [Google]
1495857076014.jpg
49KB, 481x461px
>>9567654

>totally shit prose
>completely stupid, yet mary sue MC
>is also a total self-insert
>completely unlikable
>also a ginger
>absolutely no story development for hundreds of pages
>has the audacity to end on a cliffhanger
>emotionally scarred, sexually deviant love interest
>vegetarian dragon (seriously?)
>unreliable narrator meme
>literally just a bad harry potter
>all explainable, given the author is a retarded autist

I can't think of a single good word to say about it. By far the worst thing I've ever read. I'd probably go as far and say it's the worst media I've ever consumed, period. And I've been forced to sit through Big Bang Theory and Gossip Girl episodes. The only people I'd recommend it to are the sort that enjoy harem anime and other dumb shit like that.
>>
>>9567592
The only thing seriously wrong with Lyonesse, in my opinion, is that it get wrapped up too quickly. The last 25 pages of the third book could have been another volume. Then again, that sort of thinking is what produces 12-volume series, and that fourth book would have departed considerably in scope and tone from what came before.

I'm not sure it's a good place to start with Vance unless you're already a hardcore epic fantasy fan. Vance's stories tend to be more tightly focused than Lyonesse -- fewer characters, low stakes, minimal digressions. Lyonesse is also markedly less cynical than the average Vance story too.

Read Dying Earth -> Eyes of the Overworld, The Demon Princes, or The Dragon Masters (for something short) as a better introduction to Vance.
>>
File: 1403063681569.jpg (237KB, 1920x1880px) Image search: [Google]
1403063681569.jpg
237KB, 1920x1880px
>>9567685
>>has the audacity to end on a cliffhanger
I fucking hate this. Not because I need to know everything but because it's 100% laziness on the author's part. Reread your shit and make adjustments if you can't satisfactorily finish your plot. A pleasant completed journey is leagues ahead of a crazy, wild off-the-wall rollercoaster that suddenly halts.
>>
>>9567685
>I can't think of a single good word to say about it. By far the worst thing I've ever read.
wew lad
>>
File: 1494878049940.jpg (22KB, 351x351px) Image search: [Google]
1494878049940.jpg
22KB, 351x351px
>>9567713

I don't even hate it on principle. I can handle a cliffhanger so long as the book up to that point is a satisfying read and full of development. But in the Name of the Wind it's just

>bad guys are introduced
>barely any mention of them for 600 pages
>novel ends as he's about to learn some new info

It's fucking astonishing just how little of a plot there is. Almost the entirety of that is him fucking around and proving with a jackass he is to everybody.

>>9567734

It wasn't a hyperbole. I genuinely can't. Anselm might've posited existence as a good, but in the case of something this shitty, that's only another fault I'd scribble on the list.
>>
Hi /lit/ is the Asimov Foundation series worth reading or na? I haven't read anything since high school and I'm trying to cut out video games and replace them with books
>>
>>9567902
Asimov is amazing. Especially Foundation.
>>
>>9567904
Thanks m8 i'll take your word for it :)
>>
>>9567910
The reading order of the Foundation trilogy is Foundation → Foundation and Empire → Second Foundation. (These are standalone)

If you don't like the first Foundation book you should probably drop it but Foundation and Empire is arguably the best.

My personal favourite is Prelude to the Foundation (but that one requires reading Robots series first because Asimov decided to cross over Robots with Foundation later in his life).
>>
>>9567920
Thanks for the image, I saw the 7 book series for sale and that was what I was gonna get, but if robots is essential I'll pick that up too
>>
>>9567927
The image is actually wrong sorry. () denotes short story. Read 'Foundation' before deciding on committing. I also thought that the Robots series was inferior to Foundation. And these are easy to download off the internet if funds go short.

(I, Robot) → The Caves of Steel → The Naked Sun → (Mirror Image (short story)) → The Robots of Dawn → Robots and Empire → (The Currents of Space, The Stars, Like Dust, Pebble in the Sky) → Prelude to the Foundation → Forward the Foundation → Foundation → Foundation and Empire → Second Foundation → Foundation's Edge → Foundation and Earth
>>
>>9567930
actually () should denote 'not necesary to understanding' fug
>>
>>9567930

Pretty sure there's an Asimov torrent on TPB that has all of them up and organized by series.
>>
>>9567935
Yeah there is and a pretty complete one by the looks of it.

I'm going to upload what I currently have to transfer.sh I haven't collected the Galactic Empire stuff yet.
>>
>>9567941
https://transfer.sh/JUMlD/Foundation%20and%20Robots%20-%20Isaac%20Asimov.zip
>>
>>9567942
Ok it seems that you should be downloading my copy of the Complete Robot (that one in the zip is from bibliotik and it's retail)
>>
There needs to be more martial arts fantasy.
>>
File: 1496044709800.jpg (81KB, 640x408px) Image search: [Google]
1496044709800.jpg
81KB, 640x408px
>>9566974
Hard to say, it's on a case-to-case base for me
>>
File: 1496016043542.jpg (38KB, 434x419px) Image search: [Google]
1496016043542.jpg
38KB, 434x419px
>>9567930
>I Robot
STOP PROPAGATING THIS FUCKING BOOK AND READ THE COMPLETE ROBOT INSTEAD BECAUSE IT HAS ALL THE I ROBOT STORIES PLUS MIRROR IMAGE AND MORE! FUCK!
>>
>>9568172
NO FUCKING DUH THAT'S WHY THERE'S A RETAIL DOWNLOAD FOR THAT COMPLETE ROBOT IN THE ZIP I PUT TOGETHER
>>
>>9568180
there is no reason to yell
>>
File: TN-Aule_the_Destroyer.jpg (316KB, 924x1399px) Image search: [Google]
TN-Aule_the_Destroyer.jpg
316KB, 924x1399px
>>9567506
Yes Aulë and his story is the best.
>>
>>9568186
YES
NO
MAYBE
>>
File: 13PZ0dKw1J3LzO.gif (993KB, 290x198px) Image search: [Google]
13PZ0dKw1J3LzO.gif
993KB, 290x198px
>>9568219
I DON'T KNOW
CAN YOU REPEAT THE QUESTION
>>
File: disgusted sun.png (51KB, 178x182px) Image search: [Google]
disgusted sun.png
51KB, 178x182px
>jane eyre is weird fiction
>>
>>9565087
Categorically bad series. The story would be a good story if Ericksson could fucking write to save his life and hired an editor.
>>
>>9564912
Legend. David Gemmel. Actually underestimated, because the character Virae was a female warrior who was treated realistically. She was competent and self-reliant but she was still a woman. There's one scene that got me, where she and the protag get into an argument and he fucking smacks her in the face, then they go off and immediately both feel bad, then eventually make up.

The whole dynamic between Regnak and Virae was legitimately good, it felt like a real relationship and it had moments to remind you that this isn't WoW, it isn't some gay fantasy world where everyone is equal and social progress is finished, it's a medieval society where women are property, but she still comes through as a plausible warrior-woman because of her social rank and her relationship with the man she marries.

It's an earnest and good depiction of a warrior woman in a fantasy medieval society, which is why you never fucking see the like of it in anything else, because the purpose is not to depict things earnestly, but to distort things for a political agenda.
>>
File: 1494481090545.jpg (24KB, 640x559px) Image search: [Google]
1494481090545.jpg
24KB, 640x559px
>tfw reading Diderot's Jacques the Fatalist when I come across this passage

>Master. There's one thing puzzling me: would your benefactor have been a cuckold because it was written on high, or was it written on high because you would cuckold your benefactor?
>Jacques. Both were written side by side. Everything was written down at the same time. It's like a great scroll that unrolls a bit at a time.
>Now, Reader, you can imagine how far I could extend this discussion of a topic that's been talked about and written about a great deal for two thousand years without anyone being any the wiser. If you feel the tiniest bit obliged to me for what I've just told you, you should be infinitely grateful for what I haven't said.

ADA PAAAAALLLLLLLLMMMMMMMMEEERRRRRRRR
>>
I never even knew that fictional 18th century cuckposters existed.
>>
File: 1473677335001-int.jpg (14KB, 319x331px) Image search: [Google]
1473677335001-int.jpg
14KB, 319x331px
I'm looking for a fantasy book that features a boy traveling to a strange new land/world, or a boy who meets a stranger from a strange land/world

My 13 year old nephew really seems to enjoy the 'fish out of water' trope and I'm looking for books that might appeal to him
>>
>>9568315

You're making it sound like some shitty kink romance written by an old woman.
>>
>tfw I never even knew that 18th century thinkers wrote books in which characters shitposted
>>
File: cover.jpg (56KB, 334x500px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
56KB, 334x500px
>>9568352
The Wizard Knight. Your nephew can either become a patrician or he can not become a patrician. The choice is yours.
>>
>>9564912
Tortall series. Alanna. I like Protector of the Small better tho.
>>
File: Brave_Story_Novel.jpg (55KB, 350x500px) Image search: [Google]
Brave_Story_Novel.jpg
55KB, 350x500px
>>9568352
Brave Story
>>
>>9568365
Man I used to love those books but I liked the Immortals more.
>>
>>9568352

Thomas Covenant for sure.
>>
>>9568352
The edge chronicles is pretty based, the first book of Twig is related to that.
>>
6/17th of the way through the sins of empire, still nothing about daniel or nadya except people talking about them, not to them. pit.
>>
>>9568556

Nice tweet?
>>
>>9568556
I remember there being some autist here a year ago who used fucking weird fractions to show how far they were
>>
>>9567066
I like how you fucks get your feelings hurt when people talk the truth about your Wolfe books, you like to say "that doesn't seem fair", "it's a culture culture foreign to our own". Yet you gang up and try to ridicule and discredit other people's books.
You wolfe fags are the most obnoxious cunts in these threads. Absolute Aram is alright, at least he can be reasoned with. And while being a fanboy, he can see other people's points.
>>
>>9568593
I understand that maths is not a strong suit of /lit/'s but can the use of fractions be classified as autistic? I think not.
>>
>>9568295
I liked it.
>>
>>9567016
You're still agonizing about this? How many months has it been since you first posted about it.
We cant make a decision for you its your story.
>>
>>9567010
Bv Larson shill here. Never read anything other than undying mercenaries, the mech series, element x and recently the Haven books (omg they are shit. Bv Larson writes horrible fucking fantasy filled with cliches and young hand holding cringe) by Larson.

Someone said his fleet series was good... and I was thinking of picking it up. Had all the star force books in my bookmarks but never felt like I should read. Seeing that I always shill Bv Larson, and Neal Asher, would you say that star force would be enjoyable to me? The undying mercenaries were great, but you have to admit that between book 2 and 5 there was a drop in quality that nearly made you dropped the books, but luckily he fixed it. Don't want another Haven series (blurb sounds okay, but turns out completely shit).

tl;dr shill the shill on star force
>>
>>9568352
Neverending Story
>>
File: Stop picking my brain.png (797KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
Stop picking my brain.png
797KB, 1000x562px
>>9567016
OC just for you anon.
>>
Sanderson is autistic, right? And I don't mean the meme kind.
>>
>>9567685
It's leagues better than Thomas Covenant books. At least I somewhat enjoyed Rothfuss books.
>>
>>9568731

How about you state some reasons as to why?.
>>
>>9568801
>I'm looking foe an argument
>give me points so I can greentext my response in a semi aggressive way, which you won't be able to ignore
>full stop after a question mark
Yeah. No thanks. Thomas Covenant is utter shit. While name of the wind is filled with plots that go nowhere, it was somewhat enjoyed and while paying his school fees were important, he didn't remind you about it multiple times every chapter that he has school fees to pay and he is broke.
>>
Mieville was recently interviewed on Chapo Trap House about his new book on the Russian Revolution. God I love Marxist writers (and Marxism).
>>
>>9568846
>and Marxism
The gulag loves you too <3
>>
>>9568731
But TC rose the epic-as-psychodrama as an explicit theme of the fantasy text, and harmonized the modernist / existentialist vision of man with that of the epic hero???
>>
>>9568861
>gulag xD

Ever heard of Rojava or the Zapatistas? They're building a new world while you rot and suppress the poor.
>>
>>9568861
Don't fucking write positive things about the gulag, my grandparents were sent there
>>
>>9568874
>while you rot and suppress the poor
That sounds like communism in the USSR. People at random thrown into jail and shipped thousands of miles into Siberia is practically a cornerstone of communism.
>>9568884
I didn't though. I just wished some genocide apologist a happy trip there
>>
>>9568899
>That sounds like communism in the USSR. People at random thrown into jail and shipped thousands of miles into Siberia is practically a cornerstone of communism.

I'm a communalist so I support Rojava-style government and I don't believe in gulags.
>>
>>9568884
>posting in a thread with the descendent of gulag dead
disgusting, leave my general
>>
>>9568912
>I don't believe in gulags
But that is what Marxism looks in practice.
>>
>>9568719
The line between autistic and Mormon is kinda blurry for me. His characters are total spergs, tho
>>
>>9568922
Rojava and other strains of libertarian Marxism and libertarian socialism would disagree with you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarian_Marxism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarian_socialism

(And yes, they would work in practice and already do)
>>
>>9568617
>REEEEEE STOP MANSPLAINING
>>
>>9567080
>Are you just bringing back your dead protagonist because plot has to happen to somebody and you like him or is the fact that he's Protagonist come again from death actually going to be relevant to what happens from that point onwards?

I don't know. I really go based on feeling. It feels like it will be important to do this, just like some things have felt important or "right" to do in the past.

>>9568646
True... I appreciate the advice though. I'm still agonizing about it because I am not quite to the point where I really have to make the decision. I also may have this sort of "dilemma" where she finds this resurrection shit and she could bring it back to their city and have the scientists potentially figure out how it works (except they would probably ruin it in the process). Or she could just use it on the remains of her father to reconstruct him, and that would 100% work. She never met her father, he died like 2 days after she was born and he was 1 million kilometers away at the time. So she desperately wants to meet him, as much if not more than she wants to defeat the enemy.

I dunno if that's a good "dilemma" and whether or not this character is resurrected depends on her choice. And whether she finds the tech at all.

My biggest issue with bringing him back is, what role he will play in the story. He used to be the guy who got shit done, as well as the guy who had the super-magical-chosen-one gift, as well as being the narrative center of the story as well. With his children, that fractured because not only did I have two strong characters instead of one but also I had had their father as MC for *years* and I had gotten so much into his mind, whereas his son I just don't feel the same connection to.
>>
>>9568912
>I'm a communalist so I support Rojava-style government and I don't believe in gulags.

Who the fuck asked you what you believe in? This isn't your blog, you commie retard.
>>
>>9569118
He called me a genocide apologist, so I had to back myself up faggot
>>
File: index.jpg (9KB, 180x293px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
9KB, 180x293px
Is this any good?

I just started reading and am new to this genre
>>
>>9569130
>Sandermeme
Nope.
>>
>>9569124
Nobody gives a fuck what you believe in. Wear your political leanings like the gaudy fashion accessory that it is on your own time and somewhere other than here. And when you grow out of the phase, remember how you vehemently defended a political movement to which you have zero connection on a laosian wood-lathing board.
>>
File: 1495599194295.png (6KB, 195x244px) Image search: [Google]
1495599194295.png
6KB, 195x244px
>>9569146
>>
>>9569130
How long will it take him to finish the series?
>>
>>9569168
At the current rate, another 25 years or so
>>
I'm writing a fantasy story that takes place inside a dungeon. The plot is basically just a dungeon crawl with a few characters moving through areas of the dungeon. How can I keep the setting descriptions interesting and not just keep saying that it is a dark dungeon over and over in every room the protags explore?
>>
File: 1494824596368 (1).png (243KB, 829x589px) Image search: [Google]
1494824596368 (1).png
243KB, 829x589px
>>9568843

>i have no argument
>fuck you i have no argument

Incredible post.
>>
>>9569318

Just have different elements in every section as they progress?...
>>
Finished WoT. Could've been worse, could've been better. Still, I'm sad the ride is over.
>>
>>9569168
He wants to have around 10 books in that series...
>>
>>9565464
>the GRRMarillion
get a load of this guy
>>
File: bl20398.jpg (172KB, 586x894px) Image search: [Google]
bl20398.jpg
172KB, 586x894px
Has anyone here gotten their hands on the new stand alone version of Beren & Luthien? Any opinions?
>>
>>9569130
It's not bad.
>>
>>9568711
>he made another one
You are literally autistic aren't you? And I don't mean sarcasm. I mean legally, medically autistic?
>>
Brian really loves those "2 things happened at once" in powder mage
>>
>>9569114
>thank you for reading my blog
Fuck off. This thread is for the discussion of fiction. We can't discuss shit when you're the only that read it, or could read it. Write your novel then hand it around if you want ppl to read (no .txt/.doc-x bullshit either). Other than that you're just spamming the thread. Go into the creative writing threads or make one if you want to discuss your WORK-IN-PROGRESS.
>>
>>9569130
Third one is coming out soon.
That will decide if it's shit or not.
Personally the shallan chapters were the only parts where I literally wanted to hurt someone. (Not myself)
The bridge burners give you an insight into the lives of proles.
The wifey material (Jaznah) gives insight into the politics of different countries.
Shallan gives insight into why murder should be legal.
Highlords give insight into how people in high standing don't really earn shit, just steal from the little guy.
Honor requires you to kill the guy who imprisoned you Khaladin
>>
Over the last couple of months I've read three of C.L. Moore's Northwest Smith stories: Shambleau, Black Thirst, The Tree Of Life, all published in Weird Tales in the 1930s. The protagonist is a hard boiled Han Solo-esque space smuggler, criminal, and general man for hire on Mars. However, these stories are not action tales as much as about the power of desire, beauty, and temptation. This is invariably in the form of a feminine force; the Medusa-like Shambleau, the Venusian concubine of Black Thirst, the mysterious luminescent woman of The Tree Of Life. They all lure the protagonist Smith away from his daily life to a dangerous and unknown environment; Smith is then diminished, discombobulated, and becomes a shell of his former masculine self; confused and without courage or willpower; lost in the embrace of the Medusa, the beauty of the Venusian concubines, the milky gaze of a glowing priestess. Invariably, he overcomes by hidden reserves of iron will.

These stories are fairly formulaic and not very action-filled, but they are interesting looks at the tension of the alpha male and female allure, along with staples of weird fiction; ancient ruins, mysterious lore, primordial beings, etc.
>>
>>9569517
>jrr Tolkien is very large, !arger than life on cover
>edited by Christopher Tolkien
>son using his father's name to rake in a few mil because the hobbit dressing cunts that lurk in these generals and attend conventions will buy anything with Tolkien's name on it
No we don't want our hands anywhere near it.
>>
File: 1491284622284.png (2MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1491284622284.png
2MB, 2000x1500px
>>9569643
Any GRI?
>>
>Abbos would mate with trees and drown people

Reading Fifth Head of Cerberus and I don't know why but this passage about the descriptions of the Abbos really stood out to me and reminded me a little bit of the Children of the Forest, how much would you say Fifth Head is an influence on Martin?
>>
File: shambleau.jpg (217KB, 545x800px) Image search: [Google]
shambleau.jpg
217KB, 545x800px
>>9569658
The most explicit is Shambleau - the man basically is incapacitated because he can't get out of the bedroom because she fancies him so much. It's a matter of debate whether it is rape - he is not entirely unwilling, but then Shambleau is an unearthly phenomenon so he doesn't have much agency. Shambleau is the story that is most anthologised. Generally she focuses on the psychologies - lots of intense eye gazing, description of provocactive dresses and smells. A sensual writer of femme fatales.
>>
Please tell you guys don't read chinese web novels.
>>
>>9564901
So GRRM criticizes Tolkien for shitty world building but from what I remember he doesn't go into detail about tax plans either
>>
>>9569747

Also calls out Abrams and Lindeloff for LOST's ending but can't come up with a decent one of his own.
>>
>>9569759
And then has TV producers come up with one for him.
>>
>>9569130
It's actually decent but it's sequel is garbage.
>>
I tried giving Sanderson a chance again but after he used the word "awesomeness" I just had to put the book down
>>
>>9569747
He's also making his own Silmarillion. I think GRRM just has an inferiority complex
>>
>>9569795
>He's also making his own Silmarillion
What?
>>
>>9569801
The GRRMarillion!
>>
>>9568352
Garth Nix
>>
How is The Black Company?
I know the whole grimdark, brutal depiction of war is not really innovative anymore and that is what most people talk about when they discuss the book, but was that the series' only appeal?
Does it have something else going for it?
>>
>>9570025
I just picked it up and started reading the series the other day. I'm not really a fan of it, which sucks because it's been hyped up for a long time. Writing wise it's just above a YA level. Other readers have complained that nothing really gets explained in regard to the world, magic, etc. I'm most likely going to drop it but I'll keep reading it until my other books arrive.
>>
File: The_Dragonbone_Chair.jpg (103KB, 311x475px) Image search: [Google]
The_Dragonbone_Chair.jpg
103KB, 311x475px
Anyone read this? Is is any good?
>>
>>9570074
I've only read the first book, and it seemed like there were some really interesting aspects to it, but somehow I just didn't really care. Maybe it's because it has one of the tepid, vaguely intellectual everyman MCs that are so common.
>>
>>9570073
People seem to like it but I didn't enjoy it
>>
>>9570081
>>9570025
Sorry, this is a reply to this. I need to sleep more, my brain is falling apart
>>
>>9570084
Any special reason why you did not enjoy it? Also, what are some books that you do enjoy?
>>
>>9570081
>I've only read the first book, and it seemed like there were some things that seemed really interesting about it, but somehow I just didn't really care. Maybe it's because it has one of the tepid, vaguely intellectual everyman MCs that are so common.
lol why'd you delete your comment just to edit a minor part of it?
>>
>>9570041
>>9570081
>>9570087

Well that sucks.
I had read that he is pretty vague when describing some events and that you need to fill in the blanks with your imagination. I am OK with that to some extent, but if the world building is poor then that sort of kills it for me.

Incidentally, can someone in the thread recommend a book or series that excels at world building? Preferably something that involves magic.
>>
>>9570073
That was a slog. Things happend very slowly, characters aren't that likeable but the world has plenty of cool stuff. 6/10.
>>
>>9570121
I can't vouch for his lack of world building, but it's something I've heard. I'd look into Malazan, for one, if you want a vast, detailed world with magic and magical creatures/races.
>>
File: 1465474361504.jpg (48KB, 331x499px) Image search: [Google]
1465474361504.jpg
48KB, 331x499px
is this the best sci-fi series in the last 10 years?
>>
>>9570121
That's sanderson then. He has plenty of cool magic, the Way of Kings has a very imaginative world building. Conans Hiboriea, the Dream Lands from Lovercraft, Lord Dunsany, all have an awesome world building. The edge chronicles is excellent, for a YA novels, the world is very imaginative.
>>
>>9570145
yes
>>
>>9570090
Well I liked the first book but I had to force myself to finish the last two books
>>
>>9568352
Only you can save mankind
by TP
>>
>>9569130
If you're new the genre don't start series that aren't already finished. It can sour you on the whole thing, fast
>>
>>9569645
No, we don't, preciousss.
>>
>>9568213
Those pants are riding a little high I think
>>
A few months back I dug up some writing from three years ago. To my surprise it was better than anything I'd written in over a year.

I don't write anymore.
>>
File: 1483205539294.jpg (164KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
1483205539294.jpg
164KB, 500x600px
>>9569645
So...that's what this place has become.
>>
>>9569785
No one cares. Chuck off.
>>
>>9570145
Probably, but I don't read enough scifi to know.

Imho the first book was the most entertaining. I loved the mystery elements and the whole freakout over the laws of physics varying over space and time (even though I've since learned that under GR the laws DO vary over space and time due to breaking of translational symmetry) I also loved the dark forest hypothesis, even if I didn't really understand it (how does broadcasting your coordnates expose aliens in other solar systems?)

Unfortunately the later books kind of lost me and I never really cared for Sophon as a concept, much less a character.
>>
What's a good series that's the opposite of grimdark and doesn't have a Mary Sue for a main character? Something optimistic, hopeful, epic, and with a protag that busts his ass and earns his place in the world.
>>
do you think a golden age scifi would sell these day or would people get confused by venusian rainforests and cannon-based space travel
>>
>>9570041
>Other readers have complained that nothing really gets explained in regard to the world, magic, etc.
This shit is pissing me off. People expect info dumps, instead a fucking story about a group of people trudging through multiple continents for the next job.
These fucks need to be contained in reddit.
>your world needs to be as believable as possible to help me with escapism
>what tax form did croaker use to file for his tax returns
>>
>>9570134
>>9570147
Thanks for the suggestions.
I had my eye on Malazan and Way of Kings already so I guess I'll go ahead and check them out.
>>
>>9570381
Real life. People read fiction to get away from that stuff.
>>
>>9570382
I think it would not.

We don't live in a heroic age.

Read DFW's riff on Hill Street Blues from IJ
>>
>>9570389
Have you read the series? I tried it with an open mind and without knowing much about it and had to drop it out of boredom. It's not very well written, the story is a slog, and the least the author could have done is build the world up a bit and make it more immersive. I don't mind what he set out to do (write a fantasy version of his military experience) but he made it a colorless affair.
>>
>>9570381
While it can get grimdark at many times The Grace Of Kings is very optimistic about human potential for good and progress.
>>
>>9570423
What if it was YA? Younger people tend to still believe in the possibility of a just world, even if it doesn't exist
>>
>>9570448
Then only if it's a gril protag
>>
>>9570414
What stuff? My life isn't full of hope and optimism, the people I know don't work hard and grow in strength and knowledge. I live in a shithole where one of the people in my building was arrested for child endangerment after his baby almost starved to death because she spent money on drugs instead of food. I'm going to college at a shitty community college and maybe I can get enough loans to transfer to a four year university. When I pick up a book the last thing I want is to read some autist masturbating over rape and murder and how uncaring and gray the world is.
>>
>>9570438
Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>>9570145
Yes.
I read a fair amount of modern scifi and while Three Body doesn't win it by a mile, it's definitely head of the pack

>>9570359
The idea is the extreme, extreme paranoia of alien civilisations means they will destroy ANY star which is revealed. So you could just point any system and it'll eventually get destroyed
>>
>>9570317
scifi or fantasy
>>
>>9570382
People will buy "Golden Age" style SF, but you shouldn't just literally rip off outdated tropes like Venusian rainforests and Mars' breathable atmosphere unless you're just writing a gimmick retro story.

Also cannon-based spaceships (Jules Verne, Journey to the Moon) came way before the Golden Age.
>>
>>9570547
It was fantasy, but now I just don't write period. I never really enjoyed it anway. Im happier as a useless idea guy
>>
>>9570556
I'm just about to start writing.

Don't give up buddeh!
>>
>>9570317
>I don't write anymore.
Why not?

You didn't think your growth would continue infinitely did you?
>>
>>9568951
>libertarian marxism
>libertarian socialism

yo the post industrial revolution world is in a constant state of pokemon-brain lmao.
"dude i'm an anarchic fluid-pancommunist with lennic leanings. this means something to someone and i can only find them at other places of wasted time and space and zero influence, such as starbucks."

all these titles that amount to nothing.
>>
>>9564901
Has anyone ever used the word 'pugnacious' as many times in a novel as he did in Perdido Street Station?
>>
>>9564933
Some bits of Perdido I read, I think I had also read on a few other select adult sites. Remade prostitutes, beetle women. I stray from God.
>>
File: rs-190332-466539950.jpg (25KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
rs-190332-466539950.jpg
25KB, 700x394px
>>9570652
in a novel? not that i know of. on an album? yep
>>
Still writing my dark fantasy novel, and I think I'll be able to hit my goal of 25,000 words in a month. Not sure I'll be able to keep it up on a month-to-month basis, but I'm pretty much on the way to finishing it before the end of the year.
>>
>>9570729
What's it about anon?

I'm still storyboarding my darker fantasy web novel.
>>
>>9570748
It's about a mysterious deadly mist of unknown origin takes over a big chunk of a region's land (tens of thousands of square miles) and causes many deaths, but temporarily kept at bay by a hastily-built magic barrier stretching from coast to coast. The main character is a person from another continent who looks to try and venture into the mist to find the source with the help of a group he joins up with.

I don't plan on multiple POVs or anything. I want to keep it simple and straightforward.
>>
>>9570786
>Player Unknown Battlegrounds: The Novel
>>
Assassin's Apprentice:
>As swift as a black crow seizes a bit of dropped bread, the old man stooped and snatched up a frozen chunk of dirty ice.
>black crow
>frozen ice
How does this shit get published?
>>
>>9569785
>falling for the sanderson meme
Don't listen to any /sffg/ recs. Remember that these are the same people who like Bakker
>>
>>9570804
Words of Radiance
>Her stomach grumbled. When had she last eaten? She’d used a lot of her awesomeness practicing earlier. She probably should have stolen something to eat. She wasn’t quite so awesome when she was hungry.
I know how you feel.
>>
>>9570827
That's pretty funny if the writer hates the dumb bitch he's writing about.
>>
>>9568556
>>9568618

tlkin bout a fucking book he hasn't even finished lmao no cares about ur 6/17th progress thru gay socialite toilet paper lol defs not the cute girl who serves u at starbucks lmao rekt unless she got blue hair under her arms lmfaoo
>>
File: 1398607731592.jpg (134KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1398607731592.jpg
134KB, 600x800px
>>9570804
>>9570827
That's amazing. Although the second one feels like there's a character specific context to it.

>>9570786
That sounds pretty interesting.
>>
>>9570804
>>9570827
This reminds me of that time when some autist screencapped Dune pages to specifically shit on.
>>
>>9570855
you can only read awesome and awesomeness so many times before getting annoyed.
>>
>>9570856
>Lift pressed her hand against the seeds, then summoned her awesomeness.
>Her stomach grumbled. When had she last eaten? She’d used a lot of her awesomeness practicing earlier. She probably should have stolen something to eat. She wasn’t quite so awesome when she was hungry.
>“I do it because I’m awesome.” She started down the steps, waited for a gap between passing servants, then made for a closet across the way. Gawx cursed, then followed.
>Lift was tempted to use her awesomeness to slide across the floor quickly, but she didn’t need that yet. Besides, Wyndle kept complaining that she used the awesomeness too often. That she was at risk of malnutrition, whatever that meant.
>Besides, she didn’t want to be awesome with Gawx around. That started questions. And rumors. She hated both. For once, she’d like to be able to stay someplace for a while without being forced to run off.
>They did, Lift with her front pressed to the wall, her heels hanging out above a fifteen-foot drop onto the guards. She didn’t want to fall. She was pretty sure she was awesome enough to survive it, but if they saw her, that would end the game. She’d have to run, and she’d never get any dinner.
>Then became awesome.
>She ducked down, kicked herself forward, and for a moment, the floor—the carpet, the wood beneath—had no purchase on her. She glided as if on ice, making no noise as she slid across the ten-foot gap. Nothing could hold her when she got Slick like this. Fingers would slip off her, and she could glide forever. She didn’t think she’d ever stop unless she turned off the awesomeness. She’d slide all the way to the storming ocean itself.
>>
>>9570804
I've never read that book so I'm not defending it per se, but literally everything has retarded bits.
>"fuligin(the color darker than black)"
being used more than once in BotNS was hilariously silly/bad
>>
>>9570893
>Tonight, she stopped herself under the table, using her fingers—which weren’t Slick—then removed the Slickness from her legs. Her stomach growled in complaint. She needed food. Real fast, or no more awesomeness for her.
>Right now, it was time for food. Lift shoved herself forward on her knees and used her awesomeness to Slick her legs. She slid across the floor and grabbed the corner leg of the food table. Her momentum smoothly pivoted her around and behind it. She crouched down, the tablecloth neatly hiding her from the people at the room’s center, and unSlicked her legs.
>The few bites she’d taken earlier worked within her. She felt the familiar feeling, like a storm in her veins. Liquid awesomeness. The pain faded from her chest as she healed.
>Go! She leaped to her hands and knees. He seized her by the shoulder, but she could escape that. She summoned her awesomeness.
>The creature sucked the awesomeness from Lift. She actually saw it go, a glistening whiteness that streamed from her to the little animal. It opened its mouth, drinking it in.
>Lift tried to summon her awesomeness. Just a little more. She just needed a little.
>Awesomeness returned.
>She got going real fast real quick—so fast it was hard to control herself as she relaxed her awesomeness and tried to leap to her feet. She crashed into the wall at the end of the hallway instead, a sprawling heap of limbs.
>Darknessyes this is an actual character's name was awesome too.
>The door into the servant hallways slammed open behind her. Lift turned a corner, surprising an equerry. She went awesome, and threw herself to the side, easily slipping past him in the narrow hallway.
>A crowd in the rich corridor. Lift reached them, then wiggled through. She didn’t need her awesomeness for that. She’d been slipping through cracks in crowds since she started walking.
>Lift felt numb. She tried to summon her awesomeness, but she’d used it all up. And then some, probably.

All of this is from the same interlude and this character is going to become a main character soon too. This is just Sanderson's stupid way at making his character's "unique". My main problem with this is that he makes sure he doesn't use our terms and makes his own but then goes ahead and sticks in awesome a bunch of times
>>
File: 1304376955947.png (341KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1304376955947.png
341KB, 500x375px
>>9566199
>>9570804
>>9570827
Patrick Rothfuss reviewing Felicia Day's 'You're Never Weird on the Internet.'
>half the review is not reviewing the book
>Within just a couple pages I felt myself relax. The writing was good. Better than that, actually. It turns out Felicia's delightful turn of phrase translated really well to the printed page. It actually made me laugh out loud in places. In fact, I think I might have laughed out loud more reading this book than any book I've read in years.
>actually actually
>laugh out loud laughed out loud

The book's shit and he wants the ratpussy, I wager.
>>
>>9570918
>>9570893
So this is what it feels like to read anime
>>
>>9570856
Which ones? I read the first recently and don't remember anything like this. I could imagine it happening in the books after it though.
>>
File: 1482715636081.png (203KB, 1314x687px) Image search: [Google]
1482715636081.png
203KB, 1314x687px
>>9570930
>>9570856
Okay these are the pages of the Dune autist.
>>8559916
>>8541552
>>7998780
>>
>>9570906
What's weird or shitty about this? It doesn't seem redundant to me.
>>
>>9570906
NOW I'VE LOST IT
>>
>>9570923
>Patrick Rothfuss
How could I forget about him

>“I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep. You may have heard of me.”

>“You see, women are like fires, like flames. Some women are like candles, bright and friendly. Some are like single sparks, or embers, like fireflies for chasing on summer nights. Some are like campfires, all light and heat for a night and willing to be left after. Some women are like hearthfires, not much to look at but underneath they are all warm red coal that burns a long, long while.”

>“I have known her longer, my smile said. True, you have been inside the circle of her arms, tasted her mouth, felt the warmth of her, and that is something I have never had. But there is a part of her that is only for me. You cannot touch it, no matter how hard you might try. And after she has left you I will still be here, making her laugh. My light shining in her. I will still be here long after she has forgotten your name.”
>>
>>9570893
>>9570918
I dropped Stormlight halfway through Way of Kings. I see that it wasn't a mistake
>>
>>9570918
>All of this is from the same interlude
I was really confused wondering what book all that was from until I read this. Skipped the interludes desu senpai, feels good.
>>
File: 1428921055350.jpg (103KB, 521x561px) Image search: [Google]
1428921055350.jpg
103KB, 521x561px
>>9570906
>book of the new sun series always recommended for sci fi and fantasy inclined readers
>as lonely virgin, just want to escape
>gene keeps talking about women and their hips and titties
>only the first book
Smug motherfucker knows exactly what he's doing.
>>
>>9564912
Conan because they exist to be tamed and fucked by big men such as myself
>>
File: 199284668293.png (100KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
199284668293.png
100KB, 200x200px
>>9570929
>>
You know I can't say I liked WoT but it was a fun ride. The Sanderson books were garbage but the ending was worth it
>>
>>9570983
Well she's going to become a main character and get her own book so get ready for more awesomeness
>>
>>9570929
Honestly that did feel like a description from an anime
>>
>>9571003
If you get rid of the useless bowl subplot then the series is pretty good. I remember they didn't even need the fucking bowl and that the bowl ended up making everything worse
>>
File: cover_277.jpg (46KB, 277x416px) Image search: [Google]
cover_277.jpg
46KB, 277x416px
Is this supposed to be so boring? I'm like 100 pages in and nothings happened yet. What's worse is that the writters idea of good prose seemed to consist of adverbs and overwrought metaphors, and the protagonist is like some generic fantasy rouge mixed with Sheldon from the Big Bang theory, but the author isn't self aware enough to see how obnoxious he is. Did I get memed again?
>>
>>9570464
you ever tried to fuck that mom? In exchange you give her fix money.
>>
>>9571038
>that cover art
m8 you got fucked.
>>
>>9571038
>Did I get memed again
Yes
>>
>>9571038
Can someone please tell what's up with the whole new york time's bestseller
>>
File: 1000942382625.gif (3MB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1000942382625.gif
3MB, 320x320px
>>9570918
>>The few bites she’d taken earlier worked within her. She felt the familiar feeling, like a storm in her veins. Liquid awesomeness.
tapped out
>>
What's a classic epic fantasy that has some poor kid from the sticks going on an adventure and becoming ruler of the land?
>>
So i've been reading Distress by Greg Egan. I'm currently on part 3 and it's really stellar. For the most part, the way it incorporates hard science is legible and functions beautifully as literature. But the hardcore atheism is wearing thin on me.... One part that particularly annoyed me was when a Mystical Renaissance "ignorance cult" member has an Einstein quote on his shirt and the protagonist hacks into his shit to change it to something atheistic ala Watch Dogs. It's just incredibly fedorable. But i'm torn, because the book and writing itself are brilliant.
>>
>>9571064
Lord of the Rings
>>
>>9571064
Lord of the Rings
>>
>>9571070
>>9571073
I should have included an asterisk. What else?
>>
>>9571064
Not classic fantasy but I'm reading a chinese web novel called warlock of the magus world and it's pretty much what you want.
>>
>>9571064
Everything from the 90s
>>
Starship Troopers is literature
>>
>>9571086
Cool. Got any titles?
>>
>>9571064
>the sticks
Americans should all be killed
>>
>>9571082
>recommending chink shit
Now I think outer /lit/ elitism is wrong sometimes but in this case it's fine to be elitist
>>
>>9570940
>Gene Wolfe defense force goes full retard defending their Lord and Savior
>>
>>9571094
I guess once your country is fully brown that'll be a possibility.
>>
>>9571079
Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind
>>
>>9571094
>oh noes an American used an American expression
>>
>>9571107
Well you probably wouldn't remember what fuligin is so the reminder is useful. There's no need to have an inferiority complex anon
>>
File: +.gif (483KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
+.gif
483KB, 500x375px
>>9571104
Korean and chinese light novels tend to be pretty well written, especially after they've been translated well.
>>
>>9571121
I've read more than enough of them and I can say that most of them are terribly written with a few being tolerable
>>
>>9571038
>seemed to consist of adverbs
You literature grads always single yourselves out. There is nothing wrong with using adverbs. America needs to be "Great Ordealed".
>>
>>9571110
I'm always hesitant to get into long series. How does it hold up from book to book? Is the pay off worth it?
>>
>>9571121
light novels and web novels can never be good
>>
>>9571136
Shit I feel bad now. Don't read Goodkind he sucks. If you really want something good I'd recommend Howard's Conan.
>>
>>9571129
It's more of how they are used. He suffers from J.K rowling syndrome where characters never just say something, thy always need to say something hotly, or hollowly, or even in ways that don't make sense like greyly
>>
>>9571107
>>9568617
>I like how you fucks get your feelings hurt
>Gene Wolfe defense force goes full retard

>dude Book of the New Sun sucks
"I disagree."
>lmao wolfe defense force get mad ur feelings hurt

I think someone could be the most pleasant and mild person ever and it still wouldn't work.
>>
File: 1481497095274.jpg (433KB, 1680x1260px) Image search: [Google]
1481497095274.jpg
433KB, 1680x1260px
>>9571117
The guy was saying that black isn't a colour. And you blindly defended your messiah without thinking.
>>
>>9571129
>You literature grads always single yourselves out
ironigns because
>There is nothing wrong with using adverbs
He didn't say that, he said it relies too heavily on them.
>>
>>9571161
Sorry but I remember using black pencil crayons and markers when I was a kid
>>
>>9571151
Only one of those replies is mine....
>>
>>9571161
>The guy was saying that black isn't a colour
no
lol
>>
>tfw you will never be a good writer
>>
>>9571180
That's why I read fantasy. I like laughing at shitty writers
>>
>>9571174
way to out yourself on not-the-point lmao
>>
>>9571185
>I like laughing at shitty writers
You should consider post-modernism.
>>
>>9571161
No I wasn't, how many layers of autism are you on man?
>>
>>9571121
I'm surprised people would sooner turn to Chinese and Korean light novels, presumably for easily escapist thrills, when there is already a lot of SF and fantasy literature that fulfills those needs. Heinlein's juveniles come to mind, as does Le Guin's Earthsea, Wolfe's Wizard Knight. Then there is the sword and planet/sorcery stories of Brackett, Burroughs, REH's Conan, Leiber's Fadhrd and Gray Mouser. There is an awful lot of straightforward escapist books with reassuringly familiar stories without going to the East.
>>
>>9571164
Well if you browse outer lit, you will see American literature students try to force the meme that adverbs in writing is bad. Him singling out the adverbs just brought them to mind and he explained himself here >>9571149 so it's all good.

>>9571164
>He didn't say that, he said it relies too heavily on them.
Actually he said he relies on metaphors too much, not adverbs. He just mentioned adverbs as a negative.
>>
Martial arts and aura > Swords and magic shit
>>
>>9571196
In chinese novels the protagonist is a talentless guy who gets lucky and suddenly eats some million year old herb or merges with some ancient object and makes him talented. The protag then goes on to get revenge on those who bullied them and then acquire a harem. Chinese novels are the epitome of power fantasy
>>
>>9571196
Most of us have already covered that.

Korean light novels do politics on a level western literature rarely grazes, Chinese web novels don't hold back on the high fantasy just to talk about how good bread and wine tastes.
>>
>>9571205
What is it with chinks and magic pills?
>>
>>9571210
Culture, their herbal medicine.
Eat tiger dick obtain double jump.
>>
>>9571204
>Lu Dong goes into closed door training for 100 years and condenses his jindan
How can anyone call this shit good
>>
any books similar in atmosphere and setting to the metroid game series?
>>
File: 1495514355392.jpg (279KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1495514355392.jpg
279KB, 700x700px
>>9571218
>Lu Dong
>>
>>9571225
What are some good books about cute boys that like look like girls?
>>
File: fire wizard miscasts.jpg (229KB, 995x645px) Image search: [Google]
fire wizard miscasts.jpg
229KB, 995x645px
>>9571218
>world establishes that magic has a vocal component
>lel epin chosen one can cast spells without speaking

All genres have their tropes anon.
>>
>>9571218
Oh yeah they use that closed door training thing a little too much.I remember reading a chinese novel where the protagonist went from undergoing closed door training from a month to doing it for a million years. Chinese authors seem to to think bigger is better but it just makes their novels seem stupid.
>>
>>9571207
>>9571205
I remain both intrigued and dubious, especially the 'light' part. Some Eastern influenced fantasy would be interesting to read if it wasn't just teenage power fantasies like you make it sound. Isn't that Patrick Rothfuss anyhow?
>>
>>9571244
Yes but Chinese tropes suck. Every story starts with a weakling or waste as they like to call them who gets a cheat item that carries them throughout the entire story.
>Normal people need 10 years to establish their foundation but since the protagonist has *insert fancy artifact name he only needed three months
This shit isn't enjoyable to read
>>
>>9570951
>that woman-simile bit
>>
>>9571189
What point? You have them mixed up together.
here is your (you)
>>
>>9571264
That's literally every western fantasy though.

>evil dude takes a thousand years to build fortress of doom
>chosen farm boy needs three weeks and his gardener to defeat him
>>
>>9571200
>giving me two (you)s
slut
>>
File: Autism Chart.jpg (123KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Autism Chart.jpg
123KB, 640x640px
>>9571195
A few. How about yourself?
>>
>>9571259
If they're not power fantasies from the beginning they'll end up becoming them due to how chinese web novels work. There's also way too much filler in them because the writers are paid by how much they can write so when a novel becomes popular they tend to add a lot of filler. I really wouldn't recommend chinese novels. Korean ones are a bit better but they're not anything to write home about either
>>
>>9571273
>What point?
I see the reason you couldn't finish BotNS.
>>
>>9571283
Shit I guess I'm a bit autistic
>>
>>9571259
If you can find me western fantasy that isn't just teenage power fantasies I'll concede the point.
>>
>>9571238
Go to sad panda and put this in the search bar
language:english male:tomgirl
You're welcomed.
>>
File: autistic jesus.jpg (71KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
autistic jesus.jpg
71KB, 1280x720px
>>9571245
I console myself with the fact that all the martial arts with ki bullshit gets absolutely shit on in real life competition.
>>9571205
>tfw stumble into an isekai thread on /a/
>loser NEET guy in this LN story reincarnates into a fantasy world, has unmatched magic powers, eventually has like five wives that fight over him, fights God and saves the world
People inculcated with anglo literary standards, even the genre fiction ones, really can't compete with that level of power fantasy autism.
>>9571283
Eight, apparently.
>>
Anything from Neil Gaiman worth reading? I heard mixed opinions about American Gods so I'm hesitant to buy it, and my local library doesn't have it.
>>
>>9569130
Stormlight's kinda okay but it's insanely slow, has a few boring PoVs and it appears to be heading in a direction that I'm not interested in
>>
>>9571306
I find Chinese isekai to be worse. When the protagonist reincarnates he always ends up in a body with the exact same name as his and then because of the two souls merging the protagonist becomes talented. I just find that to be a really annoying. Also chinese authors can't write endings and most of them consist of the protagonist becoming the master of the universe or the universe itself
>>
>>9571297
>trying to use reverse psychology to get recommended books, when straight up asking didn't work
Get a load of this faggot. I don't need you to concede shit.
>>
>>9571320
It's not his best. Maybe try Stardust.
>>
>>9571328
How the hell do you go from throwing around ki to becoming a god?
>>
File: 1495497718867.png (258KB, 700x833px) Image search: [Google]
1495497718867.png
258KB, 700x833px
>>9571283
>everything but 12
welp
>>
>>9571320
Comics - great
Good Omens - great
Stardust and Neverwhere - fun
AG - okay
Anansi Boys - shit

kids books - okay as kids books
>>
>>9571293
I finished the books years ago...
Here is your last (you) fag.
>>
>>9571335
You just have to eat enough magic pills
>>
>>9571329
No ones asking you to recommend anything, I know I'm right because I've already read everything.

>>9571328
>Also chinese authors can't write endings and most of them consist of the protagonist becoming the master of the universe or the universe itself

That's actually just a completely unique to the east resolution anon.
>>
One of my problems with light novels and web novels is that the authors have absolutely no concept of story structure or drama. Never planning ahead, always winging it.
>>
>>9571320
I'm reading through The Sandman now, it's good fun. I'd find someone who already has them though unless you want to buy the complete set for like $100
>>
>>9571348
Maybe but it's pretty poorly done considering it usually happens on the very last chapter
>>
>>9571320
The Sandman, I fell in love with Death after I read it
>>
>>9571335
Ask dragon ball z... Because that's exactly what's happen in that limping horse atm.
>>
I think that all of us here who have read chinese novels can agree that auction arcs are the worst especially when the main character offends someone and right after the arc is over it becomes yet another chase arc
>>
>>9571348
>That's actually just a completely unique to the east resolution anon.
Garth Nix, MC, Keys to the Kingdom
Sanderson, Szeth?, Mistborn
Sword of Truth MC becomes master of the universe briefly at the end and then gives it up so Goodkind could write some even worse cash-in books
I'm sure there's more, I really haven't read that many books
>>
>>9571348
>No ones asking you to recommend anything, I know I'm right because I've already read everything.
Fine then. Still not recing you shit. Sit there and suffer.
>>
>>9571348
>That's actually just a completely unique to the east resolution
No it isn't
>>
>>9571373
I mean the trope of continuous gains with no "fall", it's a an eastern trope.

>>9571382
Still not asking for actual recommendations anon.
>>
>>9571373
>Dumb brainlet recs the guy books
I can't believe I share space with these low IQ mongrels...
>>
File: VCR Book.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
VCR Book.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Guys I'm sure you are all getting annoyed with these wannabe authors using the general as a woe-is-me blog. Gibe me some ideas on some poorly edited and constructed macros.
>>
>>9570893
>>9570918
>>9570959
I am in the middle of Way of Kings right now and I'm very conflicted about it. Kaladin's story is interesting and the writing is good, but I do not give a fuck about any single other character and he keeps focusing on characters/topics that are absolutely boring.

What are all those quotes from? Is "awesome" actually in the book or is this some kind of joke I don't get?
>>
>>9565165
fucking loved this one
>>
>>9571463
The quotes are from the sequel. I suggest you drop the series because Sanderson is going to keep adding POVs
>>
i cant wait for the new red rising series
>>
>>9566497
>It's a good way to get an idea of a book
I prefer actually picking up a book and reading through the first few pages, but hey, that's just me and my penchant for forming my own opinion instead of listening to whoever has the most followers on social media sites. I guess I'm just weird and antiquated that way.

Also given the kinds of reviews people in these threads think are good, I find any endorsement for goodreads reviews made by people here to be extremely suspect.
>>
>>9566974
Low fantasy is usually dull and uninteresting.
>>
NEW THREAD

>>9571588
>>9571588
>>9571588
>>9571588
>>
>>9571387
No it isn't it's just completely unique to shit authors.

No asian would take some kind of isekai web novel seriously. It's like saying like those fags who are obsessed with Worm and Sufficiently Advanced Magic or whatever that shit /co/ and reddit are enamoured with.
>>
>>9570786
That sounds kinda like a fantasy version of M3: the dark metal.

But nobody outside of /m/ has ever watched it, so don't worry.
Thread posts: 361
Thread images: 58

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.