[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sffg/ - Science Fiction & Fantasy General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 335
Thread images: 68

File: Flammarion.jpg (3MB, 3000x2500px) Image search: [Google]
Flammarion.jpg
3MB, 3000x2500px
Fantasy
Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg
General:
>https://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg
Flowchart:
>https://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg

Science Fiction
Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg
General:
>https://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>https://i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Threads: >>9006477
>>8995398
>>8987215
>>
Arthur c Clarke sucks and is a fedora
>>
File: BrandonFF-Team.jpg (3MB, 3968x2232px) Image search: [Google]
BrandonFF-Team.jpg
3MB, 3968x2232px
>>9019027
Post proof of Sanderson being Anime.
>>
asking again since nobody will see it

>>9018977
>>
>>9019040
What is playing on the TV?
>>
>>9019027
Vernor Vinge's A Deepness in the Sky

I picked this book up because it was on the recommended reading list and I really enjoyed A Fire Upon the Deep by the same author. A Deepness in the Sky is about a group of interstellar traders called the Qeng Ho who scoot about in ramscoop spacecraft at about 0.3c. One of their expeditions is investigating a bizarre star called OnOff, which goes through strange cycles of brightness. For 50 years it shines normally, but for another 220 it almost goes out, indicating some extremely bizarre physics. there is a single habitable planet in the system, and it has evolved intelligent life uniquely adapted to a world where the sun gets so dark the air freezes. The Spiders, as they're called, are at about 1920s technology but are progressing at a remarkable pace.
However, the Qeng Ho are not alone, and are met at OnOff by a group of explorers from a human planetary civ called the Emergents, and bad things happen from there, as the two groups of humans engage in a war over the most lucrative find in all of human history.

Overall this book was pretty good. It had segments that were extremely slow, but I was never bored, simply waiting patiently for characters to make their moves. There's a lot of tension in this book. The characters are somewhat clumsily described, but they are all reasonably well considered and they all show great development over the course of the book. vernor Vinge is at his best when he leverages hard sci fi to create solid character development imo. This book also had lots of really Big Ideas, and I really admire Vinge's ability to really put readers in the heads of alien species without compromising their inherent otherness.

9/10 would recommend.
>>
>>9019040

That picture was taken in Taiwan and the letters are Chinese. Please delete this insulting post
>>
File: IMG_7508.jpg (201KB, 901x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7508.jpg
201KB, 901x1200px
>>9019040
>>
>>9019040
>*raises eyebrow
>>
File: 1231563.jpg (12KB, 318x318px) Image search: [Google]
1231563.jpg
12KB, 318x318px
>>9018555
You should have picked this up. Didn't you see me shilling it all last year?
>>
File: 1480283451501.jpg (346KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1480283451501.jpg
346KB, 1920x1080px
>>9019040
What more proof do you need?
>>
>>9019052
Answered your question already. It was too repetitive and shit for my liking. I finished the first book but dropped the series after(it was the first book I gave a 1 star review on goodreads, wished I could give it less).

People here will like it and defend it because of mu "nostalgia" and it being their first gri novel as a kid (Stockholm syndrome), but I read it as an adult and it's shit.

You might like it, I don't know, but I will never recommend that book.
>>
File: 1464193791065.png (4MB, 1600x1992px) Image search: [Google]
1464193791065.png
4MB, 1600x1992px
Twelfth for chart
>>
File: 1457584639216.jpg (51KB, 492x557px) Image search: [Google]
1457584639216.jpg
51KB, 492x557px
Any good books on assassins through PoV or them in general? Maybe something in Asia, though it doesn't really matter where.
>>
>>9019027
Oh damn I was just looking at the OP image in my physics textbook today, since the teacher is terrible. He spends the entire class going on about vacuum energy and "quantum mechanics is like, your soul man" and shit instead of teaching the course. Also he told the class not to use the testing services they provide for disabled people because it makes extra work for him.

Anyways, on-topic, recently I've been reading:

A Small Colonial War by Robert Frezza: Somewhat obscure mil-SF from the early 90s. A unit of mostly-Finnish mercenaries get sent to put down a Afrikaner rebellion on a Japanese colony world. Pretty good despite being dated.

Firelance by David Mace. Even more obscure mid-80s "Nihilistic Red Storm Rising" post-apocalyptic story about a nuclear battleship being sent for a final strike against the USSR. Haven't gotten far into it yet.

Legend of the Drenai series by David Gemmell: Started reading this because I heard it's similar to the Black Company on here a while back. It's really not despite the similar "curt" writing style, Gemmell writes very heroic stories. I'm 3 books in and I don't think it's really my type of stuff.

Third Mistborn book, only for completeness.

Just cracked open the first Malazan, haven't gotten too far into it, only bought it because I got books 2-7 for free from a friend.
>>
What book is most like Dwarf Fortress?
>>
Any good fantasy series with a girl protagonist?
>>
What should I read first:

A childhood's end

or

The sheep looked up
>>
So I finished playing Deus Ex Mankind Divided which wasn't bad, and then played the original DE again which was very very good.

What are some scifi books that feel like Deus Ex? Already read Neuromancer and Electric Sheep.
>>
>>9019510

The Deus Ex novels probably. Plus Neuromancer has two sequels which are okay i didnt like them as much as Neuromancer though
>>
>>9019510
Cyberpunk has that dystopian low-life sci-fi feel if that's what you're going for.

I'd recommend Altered Carbon. Feels a bit more Bladerunnery, and it's heavy on the edge and has left-leaning overtones sometimes, but it's a good read I feel.
>>
>>9019253
>recommending books he hasn't even read
You make me sick.
>>
>>9019259
Night Angel Trilogy
>>
>>9019418
What the heck is bothering me
>>
>>9019259
Assassin's Apprentice
>>
>>9019586
>left-leaning overtones sometimes
Why would that matter? You read books for enjoyment and a different view of things, not to confirm your political views.

You pol cunts are really ruining these threads.
Every thread it's you whining about :
>black characters in books
>women characters in books
>women that fight in books
>some "left" shit in books
>white guy is not the main protagonist in books
>book has raping, white men don't rape
>book has raping, why isn't the black guys doing it
>you enjoying the book until you find out the main character is black/non-caucasian. You then proceed to cry about it in here

Yes I'm fucking triggered that you can't just read a story and keep your politics to yourself.

I read about Nazi soldiers raping people, did you see me come here and bitch about it? No. I fapped and moved on. You should also learn to move on.
>>
>>9019892
>a book that has ZERO ASSASSINATIONS IN IT
>name it assassin's apprentice
>>9019259 don't read this shit unless you want to rage.
>>
>>9019917
Yeah it's actually good instead
>>
>>9019040
>his Asian clone right behind him
>>
>>9019121
It was a little frustrating how there would be long slow periods then sudden action slams, then I realized he was trying to write it in trapdoor spider ambush style, waiting and pouncing.

The spiders written as 40s British people was absolutely delightful, and the STEMlord autism slave virus was a brilliant idea, one of those SF ideas that just stuck with me.
Can't remember anything in Fire that did that for me. Wouldn't say he kept the spiders' otherness, though, the slave autist translators turning them into 40s Brits was a major plot point.

I'm probably never going to read it again. The genki loli growing up to be the Emergent leader's lover made me want to throw the book across the room. I'm still mad about that. Also I felt like the ending was too fast, with too many secrets kept from the reader.
>>
>>9019908
>so mad about a clause he writes an essay
>>
>>9019933
>read book specifically for the apprentice of an assassin
>no assassinations
>good
Take your "muh human interaction" with you cuck.
>>
What is easier to write? Sci-Fi or Fantasy?
>>
>>9019976
>ending was too fast
Yeah, I absolutely agree with this.

>trapdoor spider ambush style, waiting and pouncing.
Yeah I loved that, I plowed through the slow chunks really quickly because he was so good at writing tension and making me wonder when someone was going to make the next Big Move.

>Can't remember anything in Fire that did that for me.
The gestalt dog aliens. The idea of The communication job of neurons being instead done by the high frequency sound waves emitted by specialized tympanum to form gestalt consciousnesses of four or five individuals was mindbending.
>>
>>9020032
What's easier to drink orange soda or dr pepper
>>
File: redbeard.jpg (84KB, 650x514px) Image search: [Google]
redbeard.jpg
84KB, 650x514px
Does anybody have a download link for Mike Resnick's Redbeard?

I saw it recommended here some time ago but I can't find it.
>>
>>9020039
Orange soda, how does this relate to the question though?
>>
Is Locke Lamora worth reading past the second one?
>>
I have a novella in progress and another queued up, but they're really both supposed to be part of something that's a whole lot larger than the two put together, and most of the great character interactions are supposed to come from characters that are in opposite stories. On top of all that most of the lore is missing
>>
File: Author Burglar.png (1MB, 1000x720px) Image search: [Google]
Author Burglar.png
1MB, 1000x720px
>>9020203
>>9020032
This is why you guys are shit. Instead of writing, writing, and writing some more then editing, you fucks try to make a story in one go. With all the character developments and hidden surprises also installed. You stop when you come to a wall instead of writing a different perspective or character.

Books AREN'T written in order. Some start at the end, some start at the middle. Editing exists for the main purpose of organizing the clusterfuck of a work you put together.

Kys fucking cash grubbing cunt.
>>
>>9020297
>Kys fucking cash grubbing cunt.

dude, I'm a fucking programmer. Do you think I write because I want money out of it?
>>
>>9020313
looks like your
if (thread == writingadvice):
also mistakenly validates /sffg/ - Science Fiction & Fantasy General
Your post isn't relevant to the thread in any way.
>>
These threads are dead lately
Did shills finally left?
>>
>>9020359
I'm sorry, you're pretty much stuck with us.
>>
Shaeönanra did nothing wrong.
>>
>>9020498
>getting fucked by Aurang when you could fuck Aurax
>>
>>9020498
>>9020502
Wtf is that ? What kind of degenerate reads books like this ?
>>
>>9020823
It's actually quite a good read

>Effortlessly, the Xurjranc snapped Valrissa’s tether, and hoisted her before him, held her as though she were a doll.
>Beneath the monstrosity’s claws, Valrissa went very still, like a calf caught in the jaws of a wolf. Her terrified eyes turned from Aëngelas, and rolled upwards beneath their lids, as though trying to peer at the figure behind her.
>“Valrissa!” Aëngelas screamed. “Valrissssaa!”
>Holding her by the throat, the thing languorously picked her clothing away, like the skin of a rotten peach. As her breasts fell free, round-white with soft-pink nipples, a sheet of sunlight flickered across the horizon, and illuminated her lithe curves … But the hunger that held her from behind remained shadowy—like glistening smoke.
>The thing’s free hand traced a thread of blood between her bosom across the plane of her shuddering belly. Valrissa’s eyes returned to Aëngelas, thick with something impossible. She moaned and parted her hanging legs to greet the abomination’s hand.
>A race of lovers …
>The thing screeched like a thousand falcons as it plunged into her. Glass thunder. Shivering sky. She bent back her head, her face contorted in pain and bliss. She convulsed and groaned, arched to meet the creature’s thrusts. And when she climaxed, Aëngelas crumpled, grasped his head between his hands, beat his face against the turf.
>With an inhuman, dragon gasp, the thing pressed its bruised phallus up across her stomach and washed her sunlit breasts with pungent, black seed. Another thunderous screech, woven by the thin human wail of a woman.
>>
>>9020128
I enjoyed Red Seas Under Red Skies but it's entirely different from the first novel. If you like pirates then give it a go. The Republic of Thieves is dogshit.
>>
Is there any book where magic is a mix between practical and spiritual use?
Like weird spirit magics characters could be using to progress spiritually but maybe fight at the same time?
>>
>>9020823
>not fucking alien monstrosities so they can give you immortality
>>
>>9020962
So it's a sugar daddy sort of setup?
>>
>>9020970
Basically. They're a race of sex addict sadistic fleshcrafters and in return for freeing them from their prison, Shaeonanra got "immortality" but also a dicking
>>
>>9020981
Can they not just fuck each other?
>>
>>9020991
they are a race of lovers anon
>>
>>9020991
What part of alien rape monster are you not getting here?
>>
>>9019282
I just looked up both Frezza and Mace and both had articles about what killed their careers as like the second hit.
Weird.
>>
>>9021007
Clearly the fundamental concept.
>>
File: IMG_0025.jpg (33KB, 600x330px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0025.jpg
33KB, 600x330px
>>9021028
How can humans even compete?
>>
alright my dick is interested
I hope there are a lot of faps to be had
>>
>>9021020
Yeah it's a shame how some promising authors just drop off the face of the earth. Frezza especially, I could see him doing well today with fans of David Drake/Ian Douglas/Jack Campbell style MilSF. Mace apparently tried getting back into the game in the early 00s with some short stories but doesn't seem to have continued.
>>
>>9021059
There really aren't, we're just memeing you. All the erotic shit in the series is either tied up in sexual trauma, rape, or body horror.

Anyone have the passages about Cnaiur stabbing holes in the ground and fucking them?
>>
File: IMG_7509.gif (3MB, 413x233px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7509.gif
3MB, 413x233px
>>9021072
>All the erotic shit in the series is either tied up in sexual trauma, rape, or body horror.
>>
File: can-stock-photo_csp14270987.jpg (19KB, 375x470px) Image search: [Google]
can-stock-photo_csp14270987.jpg
19KB, 375x470px
>>9020892
So, bascially just /d/ in book form?
>>
>>9021097
It's a "what if /d/ was the villain" series
>>
>>9021097
Pretty much yeah

>"Please, Mother," he heard himself murmuring. "It's been so long. I've been so lonely... Only you, Mother. Only you understand."
>He laid her across the great Black Sun embroidered into his coverings. His hands trembled as he fussed with her gowns. His groin throbbed so sweetly he feared he might soil his robes.
>"You do love me," he gasped. "You do love..."
>Her painted eyes had become drowsy, delirious. Her flat chest heaved beneath the fabric. Somehow he could see through the skein of wrinkles that made a mask of her face, down to the serpentine truth of her beauty. Somehow he could see the woman who had driven his father mad with jealousy, who had shown her son the ecstasy of secrets bundled between sheets.
>"My sweet son," she gasped. "My sweet..."
>His fingers and palm found warm skin. His heart became a thunderclap. He ran his hand along her calves, which she shaved in the fashion of the Ainoni, then across her still-smooth thighs. He clutched at her groin, squeezed the haft of her erection
>>
>>9021072
>On the worst nights he hugged himself in the blackness of his tent, screaming and sobbing. He beat the earth with his fists, stabbed holes with his knife, then fucked them.
>>
>>9021246
This one can't be real.
>>
>>9021198
>her erection
what is going on here?

>>9020892
in related news, these two passages got my interest. is this book really worth a read or is it just GRI nonsense?
if it's well written GRI nonsense I might consider it
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>9021269
>I don’t write fantasy – only hacks write fantasy. My books are about the triumph of the human spirit which just happen to have everything you would find in The Wheel of Time
>>
>>9021277
Cause its not his mother. Anon cut out the part where he jumps back after that.
>>
File: 1484937006168.png (85KB, 217x277px) Image search: [Google]
1484937006168.png
85KB, 217x277px
>>9021198
>qt consult trap will never grind her erection against you
>>
>>9019908
But I liked the book. I just found the Quell stuff cringe-worthy in the book. Have you read it?

The manner, prose and rhetoric has this reddit-tier cringeworthy left-leaning EDGY tang to it, poorly written and incongruent with the quality of the rest of the writing.

DO FUCKING DAMAGE
POLITICS IS PERSONAL
DAE THINK WARS ARE JUST BECAUSE MEN CAN'T GIVE A GOOD FEMALE ORGASM (literally in the books)

I am right-leaning, and the fact it has those overtones is inconsequential to me especially when I actually liked the writing. I wasn't 'triggered' by it or anything. I just found myself trying to hold back nausea at how lame it was.
>>
>>9019027
>Shaeönanra did nothing wrong.
I see this all the time, what is it from?
>>
>>9021488
Don't encourage him.
>>
>>9021488
The Second Apocalypse series by Scott Bakker.
>>
File: starchart_drominad_color.jpg (682KB, 1588x2500px) Image search: [Google]
starchart_drominad_color.jpg
682KB, 1588x2500px
What else do you read besides sci-fi/fantasy?
>>
>>9021621
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWo1r-qbXZ0
This right now, some of the fictionalizations go into the absurd an surreal.
>>
File: Without_Me_Youre_Nothing.jpg (38KB, 334x500px) Image search: [Google]
Without_Me_Youre_Nothing.jpg
38KB, 334x500px
>>9021621
Old books about computers. Bonus if they're written by an 80's SciFi author.
>>
>>9021269
To be fair, he's literally losing his mind at this point

>>9021277
Bakker writes the best GRI available
>>
Any good sites that put out book reviews / impressions frequently?
>>
>>9021621
history and historical fiction
>>
File: 1483726565304.jpg (61KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1483726565304.jpg
61KB, 1000x800px
>>9021198
>tfw was writing a grimdank fantasy novel
>one of the ensemble was a eunuch trap who was addicted to whoring himself out
>those shameless boners thinking of the romance between him and the always serious nobleman who constantly rejects his not-so-subtle advances
Thanks for reading my blog.
>>
>>9021621
Horror. Biographies and essays. Sometimes poetry.
>>
Anyone read William Morris? Read somewhere he influenced Tolkien, so went and picked a story from him on a whim from pgutenberg and I love it. Better than all the Tolkien copycats. Shorter, dialogue heavy, bit pervy, a surprise for older work, but the mood is spot on.
>>
>>9021269
It's Cnaiur, the insane, genius, gay-rapist barbarian!
>>
>>9021496
Is it worth reading?
>>
>You have a lot to learn about friendship, Vin
What did Kelsier mean by this?
>>
>>9021963
>Eunuch
>Penis
I think you're missing the point
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (3MB, 1600x1992px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
3MB, 1600x1992px
>>9019253
It's not easy finding good modern stuff, but you're nowhere near it.
>>
>>9020014
>>9019259
Read Alamut
>>
>>9022197
>greentext memeshit
>greentext isn't even the right colour or font
0/10
>>
>>9020892
You piqued my interested. Got me to look this up and read the rest of the Chapter
>The abomination then gave his weeping son—sweet, innocent Bengulla—to the Sranc

>And when the Sranc made a womb of Aëngelas himself, it asked—with each raper’s thrust

Yup, wouldn't be Bakker without homosexual rape.
>>
>>9019259
Have I got the series for you, buddy:
Mistborn
>>
>>9022197
>uses "degenerate" and "never heard of it" as criticisms
3/10, made me reply
>>
>>9022220
>>greentext isn't even the right colour or font

>abusing your eyes with anything but futura?
>>
>>9022197
>never heard of it means it's bad
>looking for recommendations

Jesus Christ you're fucking stupid
>>
>>9022056
I've only read House of the Wolfings but I loved it. Really scratched a Tolkien itch I didn't even know I had.
>>
File: Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg (2MB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg
2MB, 2000x3000px
>>9022197
r-rate mine
>>
>>9022197
cosmerefag?
>>
File: 18047306.jpg (166KB, 297x475px) Image search: [Google]
18047306.jpg
166KB, 297x475px
>>9019259
Do you like anime in your books?
>>
File: Goodreads 2016 Year in Books.jpg (2MB, 684x7663px) Image search: [Google]
Goodreads 2016 Year in Books.jpg
2MB, 684x7663px
What was the coldest book you read last year?
>>
>>9022556
>He got meme'd into reading "sold"
>>
>>9022556
>stranger in a strange land
>5 stars

I have about 80 pages to go and this is such fucking garbage
>>
>>9019040
He looks super uncomfortable.

>p-please keep your distance I am a mormon and forbidden from having women in my personal space
>>
No but seriously this was written by a bitter leftist sociopath or what? What a cynical ending, remove all trace of individuality is the true way? What a fucking faggy simpleminded book.
>>
File: images(3).jpg (16KB, 183x275px) Image search: [Google]
images(3).jpg
16KB, 183x275px
>>9022683
Forgot to post the book
>>
File: tumblr_mt6w4gF7hQ1st0x8fo1_500.jpg (27KB, 500x408px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mt6w4gF7hQ1st0x8fo1_500.jpg
27KB, 500x408px
>>9022683
>remove all trace of individuality is the true way

The unenlightened masses, they cannot make the judgement call
Give up free will forever, their voices won't be heard at all
>>
File: The-Alchemist-Israeli-Salad.jpg (589KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
The-Alchemist-Israeli-Salad.jpg
589KB, 1500x1500px
reading a fire up on the deep atm. do i like it? I do but tell me what to think anyway
>>
>>9022568
actually I started the meme. It was nice gri, I hope little girl protagonist anon finally reads it
>>
>>9019917
I actually read books 1 and 2 in like 2 days because i really liked them, even though I was hoping for a book about and edgelord assassin it was well written enough to keep me entertained. Third book was trash though, and it eventually got on my nerved how annoying the protaganist was. anyway, the series isnt about assassins at all, it's more of a character driven series that also has one of the worst magic systems I've ever read.
>>
>>9020033
yeah, i still remember smiling as I read about the Tines because it's so refreshing to see interesting alien species.
>>
>>9022754
>author's name is salad
>pic is of an avocado
>breast
I-is this GRI APPROVED?
>>
Are there any good books in an underwater world?
>>
File: starchart_roshar_color.jpg (515KB, 1588x2500px) Image search: [Google]
starchart_roshar_color.jpg
515KB, 1588x2500px
>>9019917
Maybe the reason there are no assassinations is because he's still an apprentice, duh.
>>
>>9022826
Starfish by Peter Watts
>>
>>9022826
Sphere - Michael Crichton
>>
What are your guys' favorite SF/F short story collection?
>>
>>9023023
original FoundationTrilogoy tbqh fampai desu
>>
File: lovecraft 1.jpg (55KB, 415x600px) Image search: [Google]
lovecraft 1.jpg
55KB, 415x600px
>>9023023
>>
File: md15807059140.jpg (29KB, 300x453px) Image search: [Google]
md15807059140.jpg
29KB, 300x453px
this any good?
>>
>>9023074
I haven't read any of his historical fiction but David Gemmell's fantasy is solid.
>>
File: 91puZqZB-4L._SL1500_.jpg (398KB, 958x1500px) Image search: [Google]
91puZqZB-4L._SL1500_.jpg
398KB, 958x1500px
>>9019259
>>
>>9023224
>Pratchett
He said good books, anon.
>>
What does /lit/ think of Nick Perumovs "Keeper of the swords"-series? Just begun reading it and I think it's pretty good Desu.
>>
>>9023270
It's not his fault that (you) don't have any taste. You, subjectively can disagree, but as a whole, the Discworld books are objectively good, that's just how it is.
>>
File: 1455836528856.png (393KB, 365x519px) Image search: [Google]
1455836528856.png
393KB, 365x519px
Roque is by far the most Garma Zabi character I've seen so far in a book.
>>
>>9023370
I'm not familiar with Gama Zabi. What characteristics do they share?
>>
>>9023383
Aristocratic breeding, pursuit of the more feminine arts, suave, romantic, has a mild temperament and part of the order that the main character (who disguises their family's suffering at the hands of the social order) seeks to bring down (which purposefully ignites a war in the process).

Although in Gundam, Char is definitely more sociopathic than Darrow - he rises through the ranks solely to avenge his father's death (and is even more hellbent on revenge following his waifu's death on the people he believes to have wronged him) whereas Darrow is a bit more compassionate. Char outright murders people because of the 'misfortune of their birth' whereas Darrow is a little more open minded.

Char kills Garma his supposed friend whereas Roque kills himself. I think both Roque and Garma were waylaid by the circumstance of their birth and their ideals.

There's also that 'school training camp that directly ignites a revolution and the protagonist is praised for it/rises as a result' which Darrow and Char both lead. And of course, both Gundam and Red Rising are war time space operas.

I wonder if Pierce Brown is a Gundam fan.
>>
>>9023411
2bh the trilogy felt to me a lot more like book form anime than anything else that's bandied about here.

You make me want to watch Gundam anon.
>>
File: pennington-interview.jpg (120KB, 1024x349px) Image search: [Google]
pennington-interview.jpg
120KB, 1024x349px
Reccomend wholesome fantasy novels pleased. Not interested in dead children/rape etc.
>>
>>9022683
>>9022686
>>9022704
>not sacrificing your children to The Overmind and his demon entourage

plebs
>>
>>9023423
Gundam would have been better if Char was the main character, but he features most strongly in Gundam Origin. Gundam 0079 is a bit cliched and meanders significantly - the main character isn't great and the revenge story is unfortunately a side story.

In terms of books, Red Rising had some killer flaws as well.
>>
parasite eve books

yes or no
>>
>>9023356
>>9023224
>suggesting an author with the name Terry
>>
>selected fantasy has brandon sandarson
was that made and recommended by your average american dumbfuck?
that guy cant write for shit
>>
>>9023557
Have you read Stormlight or his other stuff? That's by far his best and worth reading if you can tolerate the bad dialogue.
>>
>>9023435
Anything by Sanderson
>>
>>9023569
he writed like a 14 year old writes his essay for a school assignment
>>
>>9023576
So that's a "No I haven't read it" then.
>>
>>9023581
i read SIX books from him
i tried, i really did

he is not evolving at all
>>
File: Sanderson Spurdo.jpg (66KB, 853x543px) Image search: [Google]
Sanderson Spurdo.jpg
66KB, 853x543px
>>9023557
>i haven't read any of his books
>i just listen to memes
>i now come to spew other's uninformed opinions as my own
Kys. In this general we read what we shitpost about and give examples why it's bad
>>>/out/
>>
>>9023576
>he writed like a 14 year old writes
And you are accusing Sanderson of underage, undereducated writing?
Kys
>>
File: Pol in SFFG.jpg (1MB, 1300x867px) Image search: [Google]
Pol in SFFG.jpg
1MB, 1300x867px
>>9023594
Oh boy. Look guys. It's an underage /pol/lie in our general.
You know you have to be 18+ to use this site right?
You also know that racism is not permitted outside of /b/ and /pol/ right?
>>
>>9023597
my replies are still better literature than his books
>>9023613
everything you said is wrong just as much as you believe sanderson is good
>>
>>9023618
When the mods ban you we will see.
If I could be banned for talking about the lit banner, you will be banned for underage and racism.
It's clear from the way you type and your thought-speech (or writing) patterns that you are extremely immature, ergo underage.

Enjoy your ban, and next time stay in pol. Your ilk is not welcomed here unless you can have conversation with resorting to your racist remarks 101 handbook.

Please use the ban time to reflect where you went wrong, and what you are doing with your life. I have faith in you.
>>
>>9023635
i never read or read pol in my entire life and im 27

great job

its a fucking image board you dumbfuck, join reddot so they can upboat your well written threads and replies

>t-the mods will b-ban you i s-swear
and im the underaged one

fucking kek, pathetic neckbeard
>>
>>9023644
Nice try. But the mods are not stupid they already pegged your underage ass.

Also I done. It's going to look like I am taking to myself when the mods ban and delete your posts.
Enjoy the weekend without any 4chan.
>>
the last dozen posts in this thread were even worse than usual
>>
File: 1459880070410.jpg (167KB, 1056x1072px) Image search: [Google]
1459880070410.jpg
167KB, 1056x1072px
>>9023435

>chest not exposed
>Terminus Est is all wrong
>>
>>9019356
Seconded.
>>
File: memeartyr.jpg (40KB, 530x296px) Image search: [Google]
memeartyr.jpg
40KB, 530x296px
What are some good sci-fi horror tales? I've been thinking about getting Dead Space: Martyr (I enjoy the lore a lot) but being a vidya book I have my suspicious regarding quality. There is also the Alien books, but again, it is a cross-media work.

I don't care if it is commercial or not, I just want space spooks with at least some quality.
>>
>>9023873

seconding this, space horror is kind of my thing. Also the Dead Space games were everything the Alien games should have been and never were.
>>
>>9023023
Mirror Kingdoms
>>
File: dsawwer23qrg.jpg (7KB, 195x258px) Image search: [Google]
dsawwer23qrg.jpg
7KB, 195x258px
why?
>>
>>9024051

I would explain it to you but is unknowable and indecribable.
>>
>>9024051
what the fuck was his problem?
>>
>>9024051
New England momma's boy had a mental breakdown studying math for astronomy, turned into the prototype of a internet libertarian but later renounced racism.
>>
>>9024098
both parents ending up in psychiatric institutions probably accounts for a lot.
>>
>>9019356
Boringly original rise and fall of Khazad Dum plus Balin's attempt at reclamation though no, not exactly a book in of itself.
>>
>>9023356
>everyone is retarded
This is the extent of Pratchett's """humour"""
>>
>>9024067
Kek

It was so terrifying I can't tell you how terrifying it was.
>>
>>9024322

>Balin
>arguably the wisest of all the dwarves
>YO LET'S GO TO THE DEMON INFESTED HAUNTED RUINS FILLED TO THE BRIM WITH ALL MANNER OF EVIL SHIT AND A LITERAL DEMIGOD FROM HELL, WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG

I often wonder what exactly was he thinking.
>>
>>9024477
kek

when you put it like that
>>
>>9024477
>allowing orcs to live in your ancestral home
You sound like an elf.
>>
>>9024582

No I am all for the retaking of Moria, but it should have been planned and done better. Balin basically went in blind.
>>
>>9024377
Unless they're witches or Arabs, then they're just rolling their eyes at all the retarded people.

No, but seriously, Discworld novels are fun from beginning to end. The wizards are the best.
>>
Any books where cucking is major plot device?
>>
>>9024692
your diary desu
>>
>>9024692
GoT
>>
>>9024477
>>9024594
To be fair Middle Earth is metric fuckton huge and they probably were hoping Moira was okay even if they hadn't heard from it in a while, Dwarves aren't exactly known to venture from place to place above ground
If everything you needed was under your mountain, why leave it
That's how I remember it at least, been like 3 years since I read LotR
>>
>>9024725
>>9024767
Already read these and bakker too
Something else?
>>
File: IMG_7475.jpg (150KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7475.jpg
150KB, 1024x768px
>>9022556
Iron Gold soon.
>>
>>9024845
Unironically hyped. Decent releases due this year.
>>
File: 1968031.jpg (22KB, 257x400px) Image search: [Google]
1968031.jpg
22KB, 257x400px
>>9022556
not exactly a page turner
>>
File: Coldest.jpg (47KB, 682x254px) Image search: [Google]
Coldest.jpg
47KB, 682x254px
>>9024845
That was/is not going to be a cold read. A lot of people will read that book this year.

Coldest is least read/popular book of the year.

tl;dr - What was the most obscure book you read in 2016.
- What will be the most obscure book you read in 2017.
>>
>>9025327
I understood the question. I just posted that in response to Red Rising.
>>
>>9019027
Not new to 4chan but fairly new to /lit/. How do people feel about the Malazan Book of the Fallen? I consider them fedora tier but I read them all anyway because I had access to them at my local library
>>
>>9025424
overall well regarded in this general.
>>
>>9025327
Can you even look that up without a memereads account?
>>
>>9025475
could look up number of ratings for whatever books if you have the energy
>>
>>9025424
I'm split about it

From the perceptive of a /tg/poster I'm almost certain they aren't a novelization of a GURPS campaign, it reads very similar to the new pseudo-replays popular in Korea and Japan.

From the perceptive of a /lit/poster they have literally zero aesthetic merit, the dialogue is puck inducing, ridiculous amounts of teen angst, etc.

From the perceptive of a /sffg/shitposter: bretty gud fight scenes yo, alright attempt at worldbuilding I guess.
>>
File: The_Sum_of_All_Men.jpg (58KB, 292x475px) Image search: [Google]
The_Sum_of_All_Men.jpg
58KB, 292x475px
>>9023435
The Runelords
>>
>>9023435
David Eddings?
>>
Looking to read a good modern Mystery. Can be sff infused or not.
>>
>>9020962

He didn't get immortality from the Inchoroi tho.
>>
File: 23307808.jpg (45KB, 314x475px) Image search: [Google]
23307808.jpg
45KB, 314x475px
>>9025689
Don't know if exactly what you mean but begins with an investigation into a murder and escalates etc
>>
File: 1476110573191.png (143KB, 539x308px) Image search: [Google]
1476110573191.png
143KB, 539x308px
>>9025562
I read about three quarters of this book and I can safely say that I am not impressed by the following aspects of the book:

>Gaborn 'Mary Sue' Orden
He's the only one with the 'endowments' to rival defeat the evil Wolf Lord. On top of this, he is the chosen one of the wise and ancient wizard to defend humanity or whatever.

>Raj 'Big Bad' Ahten
He is the somewhat two dimensional evil Wolf Lord and really wants to take over the world with destruction. Also he keeps stealing 'endowments' off other people by enslaving them.

>Endowments
Magic in Farland's world is an RPG game in several different stats (Like Intelligence, Stamina, Metabolism, 'Glamour' - this is beauty and some lesser stats like hearing/eyesight).

Whoever has more in a stat is likely to beat the other one. The only way to get a stat from someone else is to use a magical ritual to steal it and that giver loses that stat (so a person who gives away intelligence will become dumb as a fuck) permanently unless the person who received it is killed. Endowments can only be given once so as you can see it is in a person who received the endowment's best interests to make sure that the givers don't randomly get murdered.

Which is of course where Ahten's full retard logic comes in and he doesn't really seem to give a fuck if the people who give him endowments die of simple shit like disease. Also he's supposed to have godly levels of manipulation and intelligence but the full extent of his abilities is basically described to us - not once does he or any of the other Rune Lords demonstrate anything except a lack of common sense.

>Every other character
Is cannon fodder since there is nothing that they can do except either give themselves to the powerful Rune Lords or kill themselves. Sometimes they can't kill themselves. Oh except for Iome but because she has lost her """beauty""" her life is over because now Gaborn won't love her any more.
>>
>>9025726
The book would be better if the main characters were the Days, King Orden, Myrrima, Borenson and Binnesman because the Chosen One plot is stale and Gaborn and Ahten seemed to have been invented to make the plot move.
>>
>>9025724
looks pretty moslem
>>
>>9025327
>coldest
stories of your life and others by ted chiang.
surprising since a movie came out about one of the short stories in this book.
>most obscure book for 2017
i have no idea.
>>
>>9025736
Not really. If anything the underpinnings of the locale is Slavic and even then I'm only really basing that of the name. Real world connections weren't so obvious with this one culturally apart from maybe some not-vikings and vaguely hegemonic imperial model.

Tech level is roughly analogous to somewhere between 1st and 2nd wave industrial revolutions.
>>
File: Leoman of the Spurdo.jpg (183KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Leoman of the Spurdo.jpg
183KB, 1024x768px
>>9025424
One of us
>>
>>9025475
You can't. That is from my memereads account. It's a great service of indexing your books read.

And the fanboys will update when a new book in a series is coming out so you don't have to look.
>>
There was an anon in here who was interested in SF written by anthropologists, or with anthropology in mind - this was several weeks ago. Well, it occurs to me now that this person should look at the bibliography of Ursula Le Guin, an author borne of an anthropologist, whose work speculates on the way societies function.
>>
>>9025845
>SF written by anthropologists
>Ursula Le Guin an author borne of an anthropologist
>These being even remotely comparable
I don't even.
>>
>>9025424
its basically /sffg/'s meme book.
>>
File: offworld.jpg (2MB, 1231x2055px) Image search: [Google]
offworld.jpg
2MB, 1231x2055px
>>9025489
Ratings huh? I checked a few likely candidates that were in the 10-20 range. Pic related only has 6 ratings.
>most obscure book for 2017
Practically all of them I'd guess
>>9025828
Oh it certainly looks useful. I played around with their web API quite a bit (they have a fairly easy way to determine if a book is part of a series), but I'm not keen on Amazon mining me for data.
>>
>>9025869
New meme book. Book of the new sun and red rising was last year's meme.
>>
>>9025900
>that pic...
>opens it
You're that horse fucker guy from last year!
>>
>>9025933
I mean, I've posted it before yeah. Was I the horse fucker though? I think I'd remember that.
>>
Alright guys. Year before the last I read the first 3 Price of Nothing series.

I promised myself I wouldn't read on because of how that guy was cucked, used, discredited, emotions shattered and told that he would bow after he sacrificed so much... but the memes and the nuking has got me interested again.

I hope it goes better this time, and that the cucker gets killed in the book being released this year.
>>
>>9025938
Isn't that the book where they fuck animals? Wasn't that when you recommended it last year? Or am I mixing you up with someone else?
I know the book has GRI.
>>
>>9025726
I agree with a lot of this.

But it's pretty feel good with a real chivalrous vibe so I felt it was an appropriate suggestion.

The later books in the series get a lot better
>>
File: goodreads.png (107KB, 657x209px) Image search: [Google]
goodreads.png
107KB, 657x209px
>>9022556
Didn't really care for it desu senpai.
>>
>>9025965
It just needs more factions. I felt that the highlights of the book were:
>The concept of the Days and the knowledge that the Rune Lords weren't permitted to attain. The drunk Day scene was interesting
>When Borenson kills those dedicates, I felt it gave an interesting moral quandry and also with the king
>Innkeeper
>The fact that Ahten didn't dismiss the Earth Warden outright and at least tried to get him on side
>>
File: Godsfire.jpg (556KB, 1249x2091px) Image search: [Google]
Godsfire.jpg
556KB, 1249x2091px
>>9025961
Those are lizard women, yeah. Now you've got me wondering.

Were you thinking about this pic? I quoted a line from it where the catwoman considers what, in her mind, is bestiality (sex with a hairless monkey slave).

I've posted centaur books before. Was that it?
>>
>>9025954
Akka a good boy, he did nothing wrong
>>
>>9026021
Nope, not that. It's another anon. It had a guy on the cover with horses I think, and if I recall correctly he "gets horny when his horse fucks because they are linked"???
>>
>>9024797
The Lightbringer Series, though you need to read through one and a half books of edgy ATLA before you get to the cucking
>>
File: Rider_at_the_Gate.jpg (23KB, 200x303px) Image search: [Google]
Rider_at_the_Gate.jpg
23KB, 200x303px
>>9026028
Ah, that would be this one then. I believe I posted it in response to an anon looking for horsefuckery.
>>
>>9026027
Yes he did.
>catching feelings for a whore who isn't even worth 12 talents
>deciding to marry said whore
>walk arm in arm through an army camp with a whore who probably serviced at least 40% of the men
>trusting your whore to a man who you know has words like serpents that slithered past your defenses and into your eye

Prince of cucking genocide when?
>>
File: 1478151042861.jpg (167KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1478151042861.jpg
167KB, 1024x768px
>>9026033
Cucking is not a main plot device in Lightbringer. I think that is in his night angel trilogy.
>>
File: Capture..png (145KB, 644x221px) Image search: [Google]
Capture..png
145KB, 644x221px
>>9022556
>>
My fellow Patricians, I haven't visited /lit/ in about a year and a half but it is good to see that the "Sanderson is anime" meme is still in place.

I sometimes visit /r/fantasy, but it's a fairly boring community.

Can we please wank a bit about what a terrible writer Patrick Rothfuss is? Literally everywhere else there's mostly praise or, at best, people say that they like the books but not the ninja sex school (I actually only read the first book). Seeing so many people with such bad taste is disheartening.
>>
>>9026187
Is that the guy who wrote The Name of the Wind? I remember a girl told me to read that and the prose was so gay. I can't exactly explain it but it was like reading the comments on the old Bioware social network
>>
>>9026187
Fuck Denna.
>>
>>9026223
That's the worst part of the praise. They can't praise character, plot, or even the setting so they praise the prose. But even that isn't good. It's flowery and poetic-sounding to a fault. I don't have the books near me now so I can't pick out specific instances, but it's the worst sort of prose. Flowery language can be a great thing in a book, but only when the author knows what he is doing.

>>9026229 I watched a panel at some convention Rothfuss was speaking at where he said the people asked him who he'd managed to make such a likable and relatable female character, and said "I just tried to write a realistic character." First off, none of Rothfuss' characters are the least bit relistic or relatable. Secondly, Denna's a fucking cunt. Worst sort of person. I'm certain she'll die before the end but I wish she hadn't so that Kvothe and Denna could have made each other miserable forever.
>>
>>9026187
seeing so many people recommend it as the "best fantasy book" they've ever read is fucking tragic
>>
Hey, reading The Wizard by Gene Wolfe
Are his works always this seemingly scattered? It felt extremely strange at the end of The Knight for Able to fight Grengarm out of nowhere and then The Wizard seems to set up a plot about making peace with the Giants by marriage only for the King to die and then they just get out of there
I'm still not done yet but this all feels like it lacks focus, although I do like the characters a decent amount to stay with it
>>
>>9026304
I fell for The Name Of The Wind meme because my cousin and his girlfriend were shilling it to me super hard.

I also partly blame Penny Arcade.
>I kept reading things like the greatest story told in either books or film in the last ten years and rolled my eyes. Tycho turned it back over and handed to me. “just read this one chapter.” he said. I read the chapter and then immediately purchased the book on my kindle. If this Patrick Rothfuss guy could do that in four pages I had no choice but to read the rest. I am only about halfway through it now but that’s because I am trying to pace myself. I don’t want to finish it because then I will have to leave this incredible world he has build and who knows when I’ll get to come back.
>>
>>9026364
>>9026271
>>9026223
>tfw super skewed perception of the name of the wind because of all this hate
>ill go into it thinking it's garbage
>it turns out good because of this
>>
>>9026364
I bought into that meme hard. I watched a bunch of interviews and convention panel recordings with Rothfuss before I'd even bought the books, but I remember there being some doubt. It was getting shilled hard on /r/fantasy at the time, so I bought the book. That meme hype died pretty early on, but I liked the section where Kvothe was an orphan living on the streets. After that it kept going downhill. For 700 pages I kept saying that the book has to get better at some point, these people are comparing Rothfuss to George R.R. Martin. No long after Kvothe broke a lute string and then still played a song so good that the whole audience were crying their eyes out was when I realized it only gets worse.

Trash books.
>>
>>9026387
The second book is even worse.
>>
>>9026387
I hate the books with a passion, as you can see. I think they represent all the things I hate about fantasy. But enough people loved them and I don't know your tastes. Maybe you've got really bad taste. I'm not going to tell you to not read them, but I would only recommend them to an enemy.
>>
https://tobiasmastgrave.wordpress.com/2011/11/26/a-review-of-the-name-of-the-wind-by-patrick-rothfuss/. This guy thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

https://ronanwills.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/lets-read-the-name-of-the-wind-ch-1/. This guy, on the other hand, thinks that it is laughably terrible. I decided to read most of this guy's chapter by chapter breakdown after I realized how terrible Name of the Wind was. He (or she) gets into some weird gender politics stuff later on when Denna is introduced, and I'm pretty sure he's part of a group running a blog that thinks the Dresden Files is the most misogynst thing to happen since it was decided women could not own land, but a lot of his stuff about KKC is on point.
>>
>>9026429
>Dresden Files is the most misogynst thing to happen since it was decided women could not own land
Heh, there was a woman in an old gaming group of mine who felt the same way and pirated the books so as not to give Butcher any of her shekels.
>>
>>9026405
i didnt read it yet but i will eventually. just to see what all the fuss is about.
>>
File: This is very good.jpg (49KB, 640x481px) Image search: [Google]
This is very good.jpg
49KB, 640x481px
>>9026407
>I hate the books with a passion, as you can see
Yes. Let it flow through you.
>>
>>9026051
>implying he had a choice in leaving her when he's betrayed by his former student and gets kidnapped by the next most powerful mage school
>>
>>>/trash/7419414

Who is the best Weird Fiction author of all time?
>>
>>9026687
Don't be linking /trash/ here mate. I don't want any of these autists wrecking the place.
>>
>>9021699
Newfaggot here:( what's GRI
>>
>>9026429
I wouldn't say they're misogynist, but the series isn't exactly overflowing with well-written female characters, and there's a running theme where Harry does something paternalistic out of "chivalry", acknowledges that it's probably sexist or that he's likely being taken advantage of, and then invariably comes out on top.
>>
>>9026747
Lurk more.
>>
>>9026747
gay rapist imps
>>
>>9020502
>not fucking both
>not having a foursome with Cet'ingira
Man, Inchoroi and Nonman. Perfect Interracial harmony.
>>
>>9025717
True and this point was raised in the last thread too. My best guess is that human and nonman physiologies are just too different, or that the best Tekne scientists died when the Ark was cleansed.
>>
>>9026747
gay rape inchiladas
>>
Man I just finished The Wizard Knight, what the fuck
Is all of Gene Wolfe's work like this? Because I simultaneously hated and liked this story

Also at the beginning of the story, isn't it strange that, in our world, Ben leaves Able in the woods to go see his girlfriend? I've been thinking over and over whether or not Able is just straight up dead this entire book
>>
File: bakker-r-image.jpg (20KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
bakker-r-image.jpg
20KB, 300x300px
>>9021269
>>9021341
>>9022152
> I remember reading about 'memes' - the notion that belief systems evolve and reproduce like organisms - in Douglas Hofstadter's Metamagical Themas, and coming up with the idea of a 'meme-master' - what would become the character of Kellhus. The story slowly grew from there.
>>
>>9026868
Literally /ourguy/
>>
>>9026732
And by "these" I hope you mean the trashdump wrecking sffg.
>>
File: GRI APPROVED.png (61KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
GRI APPROVED.png
61KB, 800x600px
>>9026747
>>
>>9027344
Anon, I...
>>
>people in this general keep saying Fevre Dream is very good, even the ones that don't like vampire books or even GRRM in general
>yeah right, how good can it be?
>pick it up
>can't put it down
>it is actually THAT good

I should have listened sooner.
>>
>>9019259
Assassin's apprentice.

Night Angel if you like pulpy mainstream.
Wars of the Emerged World if you like slightly better, less known stuff.
But yeah Hobb's the best I recall atm
>>
>>9023411
Similarly, I wonder if Mark Lawrence is a Code Geass fan. Lelouch's relationship with his dad is really similar to Jorg's.
>>
Just finished Dust of Dreams (Malaz #9).
Book had me hooked from the beginning, and the ending was epic, but for some reason I'm not blown away by it like I've been by earlier books.

>>9025424
I like them.
>>9025494
>From the perceptive of a /lit/poster they have literally zero aesthetic merit, the dialogue is puck inducing, ridiculous amounts of teen angst, etc.
What does this even mean
>>
>>9027783
It's funny how often I shill the book.

It's even funnier that people are most of the time really happy with the recommendation

But the thing that really gets me laughing is that I've never read it.

I just like to analyse reviews so I can make recommendations, I don't value my own opinion so I can just go around looking at reviews to gather an accurate view on the book.
On most things my opinion is basically a chimera of many.
At least it's fun to give people accurate recommendations with very little bias.

Bots will probably take over my "job" in the future, sadly.
>>
>>9027905

It's even more fantastic because reading all 4 parts of Book Of The Long Sun in succession took out all the joy of reading and bored me out of my mind, so picking up this right after was refreshing.

And I like Wolfe, just...I feel Long Sun isn't his best shot.
>>
File: 1456416755173.jpg (196KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1456416755173.jpg
196KB, 1280x720px
>>9027905
>But the thing that really gets me laughing is that I've never read it.
>>
>>9026868
>Kek is the No-God

IT ALL MAKES SENSE
>>
About to start Grace of Kings. Better live up to the shilling.
>>
>>9026395
>No long after Kvothe broke a lute string and then still played a song so good that the whole audience were crying their eyes out was when I realized it only gets worse.

Please tell me you're making this up.
>>
>>9027940
I've heard it's really slow and feels like a history book. Report back if it isn't so.
>>
File: 1482248860708.png (48KB, 853x543px) Image search: [Google]
1482248860708.png
48KB, 853x543px
>>9026051
>>9026684
>all this Akka bullying
>>
>>9027950
Sadly if this is the case I'll probably like it.
>>
File: 1485510619748.jpg (19KB, 236x284px) Image search: [Google]
1485510619748.jpg
19KB, 236x284px
okay I finally read "Knife of Many Hands"

>guy goes to fuck the queen
>notices the king is secretly watching
>continues fucking her
>blacks out
>wakes up naked under a bridge
>covered in blood
>entire city is on fire
>the end

what the fuck
>>
>>9027936
Oh god, Long Sun was such a disappointment. Dropped it after he fucked the angel.
>>
>>9027978
Akka had a hard life
>>
>>9027950
It is slow. I wouldn't quite say history book, but it does feel like the stories that are told about Chinese history if that makes any sense.
>>
File: twl5idnr0lby.jpg (960KB, 2462x3000px) Image search: [Google]
twl5idnr0lby.jpg
960KB, 2462x3000px
If anyone's in the mood, I've just re-read one of my older scifi stories and I really think it's one of my best. I would really love a spot of criticism, but don't mean to intrude by green-texting the entire thing.

It basically details how an existential video game results in mass suicides.

It's nothing more than a not-awful idea, crossed with Peter Watts more digestible principle of "Heaven" from Blindopraxia, and written in a fairly poor imitation of his style.

hungarianshovelware
.blogspot
.co
.uk
/2016/11/short-moral-programs

I'll read anything you want! I want to try and promote /sff/ writing culture more, post e-mails or blogs or whatever.
>>
File: mogg.jpg (23KB, 260x281px) Image search: [Google]
mogg.jpg
23KB, 260x281px
>>9027950
>tfw opens with notes on pronunciation
>>
File: 1225653366981.jpg (10KB, 240x200px) Image search: [Google]
1225653366981.jpg
10KB, 240x200px
>>9027993
That sounds like my kinda story!
>>
>>9027938
I doubt that guy is alone in never having read the books he praises. That's par for the course on /lit/ actually. This is why you should never let this board influence your choices in reading, most recommendations you get come from pseuds who never read what they recommend.
>>
>>9027993

>story involves cucking
>look it up

And of course it's fucking Bakker. I don't know what I expected.
>>
File: 1483636725416-748433945.jpg (11KB, 225x260px) Image search: [Google]
1483636725416-748433945.jpg
11KB, 225x260px
>>9027993
>>9028604
>>
>>9025724
What a horrible cover. Is it supposed to say "stars" or "stairs?"
>>
>>9028792
Let the kerning be your guide.
>>
>>9027938
>the anime reaction face guy is back
Can you leave again? The past 6+ months without you was a blessing

>>9028374
>I doubt that guy is alone in never having read the books he praises. That's par for the course on /lit/ actually
For /lit/ yes, not for sffg. You usually read the books you shill here in the general (those how used to falsely recommend shit got banned long ago). Mod is probably an e/lit/e and doesn't want anything fucking with the containment thread. If that happens we will run a muck outwards.
>>
File: bernado jou.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
bernado jou.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>9028992
>he thinks only one anon on an anime website uses anime reaction faces
Also I shill some books I haven't read, mostly books I have. I usually leave a disclaimer when I haven't. I know I've read a lot of books that I've hated but other anons enjoyed, so I don't think the presence or lack of my subjective experience is likely to affect their enjoyment.
>>
>>9029070
That particular image was used by a notorious reactions anon.
>>
File: secret kings.jpg (64KB, 329x500px) Image search: [Google]
secret kings.jpg
64KB, 329x500px
I want to like Nethereal because I want to make it to Secret Kings because I want to support any indie author that manages to make their cover look this good, but I just can't make it through. It drags, the exposition is too sparing, and I don't feel for any of the characters. Anyone else try it?
>>
What masters of fantasy books are worth getting? Already have plenty of SF.
>>
>>9029315
For classic fantasy Hoffman, Hodgson and MacDonald are good hipster elitist tastes you can show off. For more contemporary stuff, Vance and Poul Anderson, Zelazny and Le Guin, and I wouldn't say anyone after that's been dead long enough to call them a master. Except Wolfe maybe, but he's his own thing.
>>
I am an utter pleb on both fantasy and Scifi genre books with the depths of my reading so far being ASoIaF for fantasy and Hitchhikers for scifi. I've been looking to get into reading more fantasy/scifi recommend me some books the lists in the OP are too expansive to make up my mind.
>>
>>9029411
What sort of thing do you like/want in your books?
>>
File: 1481497095274.jpg (433KB, 1680x1260px) Image search: [Google]
1481497095274.jpg
433KB, 1680x1260px
>>9027936
Was the Catholicism too much?

>>9028004
>fucked the angel
Don't meme into reading this too, please.
>>
>>9027978
We need a scranc spurdo
Fill it with things the most dangerous of fags would say.
>>
How's the The Man in the High Castle miniseries compare to the book?
>>
Did the magicians series start again?
>>
>>9029870
Yeah, I'm watching s02e01 now.

Read the books too though.
>>
>>9029870
>>9029874
I enjoyed the books but the show looks like garbage. How is it? Why does Quentin look 35?
>>
>>9029888
He's 22ish. In the show, Brakebills is like a graduate school.

The show dances between being what the books make fun of and actually doing them justice. It's fun, but doesn't measure up to the books in my opinion.
>>
>>9029888
>The show dances between being what the books make fun of

this. It's a lost distinction. Still watchable enough.
>>
>>9029888
The trilogy is much deeper but the show makes up for it in hilarious moments.

>Eliot getting some guy to talk by making magic sparks between his fingers and saying "I'm a supervillain."
>>
>>9029888
He's not far off that by the end of the books so it's not too bad. The casting for the most part is one of the show's main strengths. Except Penny
>>
>>9029870
>>9029874
>>9029888
>>9029890
>>9029895
>>9029899
>>9029900
This is basically the main theme of the book series in the form of a song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7leQB_Oe_k
>>
>>9029900
the actress they cast for alice was way too attractive

you can't just put glasses on a hot girl and say "look, she's a nerd!"
>>
The Windup Girl. Is it good?
>>
>>9029931

I thought so. Great setting.
>>
Any stories where humans live in a world where elves went extinct and left ruins of their civilization behind? the more relevant the ruins are the better.
>>
>>9029941
They're not extinct in witcher-verse but it's a bit like that. Land fit for Heroes kinda too in a way sort of if you tilt your head and squint your eyes.
>>
>>9029941
the Riyria books desu
Not the short stories, the main books.
Warning. Twist at the end.
>>
>>9029926
>the actress they cast for alice was way too attractive
I got the impression she was attractive in the books too, but just had her head so far up her ass (like most of the characters) that she wasn't well-liked or popular anyway.
>>
>>9029963
>tfw low tes because of all the meds I took over the years
>tfw Alice lights a fire in my loins
How do I put it out. I'm scared.
>>
>>9029299
Had the first one my Kindle for a while now but haven't read it.
>>
Halfway through To Kill A God, so far really good
>>
>>9022197
kys pls
>>
>>9030058
Fuck off Stevian. No one wants your shitty book.
>>
>>9022683
How do you know it was the "true way"? Humanity was never asked if they wanted to be absorbed into the hive mind. The hivemind could have been some terrible torturous pain consuming entity. You could read this as a horror story if you wanted to even though its not framed that way.
>>
>>9029941
Lies of Locke Lamora book one. Not very relevant, only as a, well explained, setting. No mention of the word 'elves'
>>
what do I do if everyone hates my writing but when I change it so everyone likes it, I'm the one who hates it
>>
>>9030135
Hold nose. Collect paycheck. Swim naked in your moneybin.
>>
Is Neuromancer a good primer if I've barely read any sci fi?

I've read some of Asimov's robot stories before and they were quite clever although I got a little bored by the middle of I, Robot. I'm about 40 or so pages into Neuromancer and while I like it while I'm reading it and find Gibson's descriptions pretty phenomenal once I put it down I can't help but get a feeling of "wtf do these people even want, what is this about" .

I picked it up because it's pretty acclaimed and most other sci fi with the whole space opera or intergalactic military stuff doesn't sound interesting to me at all.
>>
>just finished Footfall
bretty gud.

but holy heck, I shouldn't have read Lucifer's hammer right beforehand.

There are more similarities in the plot and characters than you can shake a stick at.

Big thing hits earth. Pournelle-esque relationship drama. Science saves the day. All of the main characters do marvelous things. Jumps between many subplots that nicely come together.

I was considering reading King David's Spaceship next, but I think I've had enough of Niven & Co for a while.

Anyone read Tower of Glass? it seems neat
>>
File: GQtbu1J.gif (2MB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
GQtbu1J.gif
2MB, 360x480px
>get some random scifi book from the library
>it's another "photon swords" and "spacecoach ambush at nebula gulch" false-SF one
>>
>>9030249
It's been a while since I read it but IIRC the initial motivations are that Case is working for Armitage because Armitage can fix his inability to use cyberspace. The reason why Armitage wants to steal the thing will be revealed later in the story.

Or in other words, it's a heist movie where a guy gets dragged back for one last job because somebody is blackmailing him.
>>
>>9027936
Its better when you realize .silk is typhon's son, mucor is a clone of scylla, and silk's enlightenment was planted by his mother kypris and his father typhon, the two voices speaking in his ear
>>
>>9027945
>>9026395
>>9026364
>>9026304
>>9026187
The general praise for Name of the Wind is what made me understand that the collective judgment of fantasy fans isn't worth anything.
>>
File: fire touched.png (3MB, 1823x981px) Image search: [Google]
fire touched.png
3MB, 1823x981px
Daily Reminder
>>
>>9030543
is that a girl(male)?
>>
File: IMG_7539.jpg (1MB, 1038x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7539.jpg
1MB, 1038x1600px
>The Apocalypse Guard is a forthcoming YA trilogy set in the same multiverse as The Reckoners. It is being published by Delacorte Press and the first installment is expected to be released in Spring 2018.
What does YA Sanderson even look like? All his work is already PG.
>>
>>9030597
classic YA tropes I guess, girl protagonist , a romantic triangle and shit
>>
>>9030597
PG yes, but not really accessible to the self-obsessed teen market. He writes door stopper fantasy novels for people who really like door stopper fantasy novels, which is a niche group. You need a brooding teenage protagonist who feels like she doesn't belong and has to fight against the evil adults who just don't get it, man.
>>
>>9030597

Stormlight Archive has exactly one "shit" in two thousand pages.

He was probably drenched in cold sweat and feeling like a regular icon of the counterculture after writing that.
>>
>>9030597
I've literally read YA novels racier than anything Sanderson has written. The man is clean to a point that even Tolkien would find dull.
>>
>>9030608
>people who really like door stopper fantasy novels, which is a niche group.

I'd say those are the most prominent type of fantasy fans right now. It seems that no author has any chance nowadays unless his books are part of a multiple volume saga each ranging from 700-900 pages. I hate this trend.
>>
>>9030616
>I'd say those are the most prominent type of fantasy fans right now
Fantasy fan is the niche group I was referring to. Keep in mind many people who are not fantasy fans are now reading the genre though, thanks to Game of Thrones' popularity opening the genre up to people who previously snubbed it. Indeed most of my family now reads GRRM's books despite them never before picking up a fantasy book. I doubt any of them would make it 40 pages into anything Sanderson has written.
>>
>>9030611

Hood's breath, does he think he is literally writing for the 12 year old audience
>>
>>9030623
He's Mormon
>>
>>9030623
>does he think he is literally writing for the 12 year old audience
That would pretty accurately describe the mainstream /r/fantasy crowd.
>>
>>9030629
I've never been to reddit, what kind of books do they read there?
>>
>>9030630

Sanderson, Rothfuss, similar to those
>>
>>9030637
There's quite a wide gulf between Brandon "if I type bad words I go to hell" Sanderson and Patrick "Kvothe made the god of sex orgasm like a billion times" Rothfuss.
>>
>>9030630
No classics at all and pretty much what's pop culture relevant like Name of the Wind, The Hobbit, Sanderson, GRRM and there is a cult worship for Erikson and ironic books like Prattchet
>>
>>9030643
Doesn't sound too different from /sffg/ desu. Our community is just smaller so older books don't get crowded out by more popular newer stuff. And the popular stuff still gets discussed even if people act like it's beneath them.
>>
>>9030651
have fun finding any mention of Le Guin, GGK, Zelazny, Dunsany, R.E. Howard, Moore, Valente, Vance or anyone that came up with something good pre 1990.
>>
What's the one book everyone should read by Asimov, Dick and Heinlein?
>>
>>9030659
Not like /sffg/ talks about those authors much either. Sure they actually get mentioned here now and then, but doing a search in this thread (or the last few even) will show you that bare mentions are all you get really. Threads are like 90% popular titles.
>>
>>9030659
>Le Guin

>womameme authors

Oh sorry, I thought this was reddit, yes let's discuss all the best womameme authors
>>
New thread

>>9030787
>>9030787
>>9030787
>>
>>9030357
Mote in God's Eye and the Known Space short stories are great if you want more Niven but are burned out on apocalypse plots.
>>
>>9029931
I lost my copy so I haven't finished it, but I loved the parts I read. Very cool setting if nothing else.
Thread posts: 335
Thread images: 68

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.