[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did I wait this long to read Woolf? The >female authors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: images.jpg (34KB, 312x472px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
34KB, 312x472px
Why did I wait this long to read Woolf? The >female authors meme is officially debunked
>>
>>8840725
why would you ever for a second believe a meme so clearly stupid
>>
>>8840725
good job senpai. now you're ready to explore some other great lit without prejudice. look into:

flannery oconnor - everything rises must converge
ursula k leguin - left hand of dankness
willa cather - death comes for the archbishop
charlotte bronte - jane eyre
shirley jackson - haunting of hill house

to start.
>>
>>8840725
>>8840735

and more

Kate Chopin - The Awakening
Dodie Smith - I Capture the Castle
all of the brontes, austen, woolf, eliot
Edith Wharton - House of Mirth
>>
>>8840729
I really like Plath for example, but Woolf is next level. I'm only a bit into this book but I think it's on the way to becoming a favourite.
>>8840735
Cheers lad :)
>>
>>8840725
To be fair, Woolf is literally the top of the top when it comes to female authors. Eliot seems to be becoming a meme on here, but she's legitimately just as good in my opinion. O'Connor is good, Jane Austen is good. The rest are shit.
>>
>>8840762
Marguerite Duras too
>>
>>8840765
>comparing Plath and Woolf
"I like the Coen Brothers, but Picasso is next level"
>>
>>8840853
>comparing Plath and the Coen Brothers
actually that might be pretty accurate
>>
>>8840787
you're being a bit narrowminded desu. see >>8840735 and >>8840762
>>
>>8840884
None of the four are in the same genre desu they're not really comparable
>>
>>8840725
If that's your first Woolf you really must read To the Lighthouse and Mrs. Dalloway
>>
>>8840916
I want to read everything that's like this one, which I'm assuming is To The Lighthouse and everything after it. Im keen to read the one from the perspective of a dog, sounds interesting.
>>
The Waves > To the Lighthouse > Mrs Dalloway
>>
File: 1450951145351.jpg (102KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1450951145351.jpg
102KB, 900x900px
>Woman author
>Writes about kids
>>
File: 2652162164.png (238KB, 400x356px) Image search: [Google]
2652162164.png
238KB, 400x356px
>>8841296
>Male author
>Writes about abstract concepts and failed romance
>>
File: Barry Pink ticked off.jpg (44KB, 319x310px) Image search: [Google]
Barry Pink ticked off.jpg
44KB, 319x310px
>>8841296
>Literature board
>Posts frogs
>>
>>8841306
>abstract concepts
Yes, but
>failed romance
only whiny betas write about this stuff, no self respecting man would pine over it.
>>
>>8840725
>Here's why, in addition to Roxane Gay, Bey and Lena Dunham, Virginia Woolf should be one of your feminist role models:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/virginia-woolf-feminist_n_6534258
>>
>>8841347
>goethe
>dostoevsky
>shakespeare
>whiny betas
surely you jest anon.
>>
>>8841355
Oh wow, that sure does invalidate her literary merit.

I've never seen anyone take a Huffington Post article so seriously before
>>
File: u wot m8.png (152KB, 271x300px) Image search: [Google]
u wot m8.png
152KB, 271x300px
>>8841355
>>
Does Mrs Dalloway even compete with this book, or is The Waves superior? I'm more interested in reading it over The Waves.
>>
She saw sexuality -- and gender -- as fluid.

In a letter written around the same time as Three Guineas, Woolf not only acknowledges that gender-specific traits are socialized, but implies that gendered desires are often a source of violence. Such themes are explored thoroughly in her fiction, including her first novel, A Voyage Out, which mirrors her personal voyage from a more traditional upbringing to the intellectually stimulating Bloomsbury group she became a regular fixture of.
>>
>>8840853
Coen Brothers are unironically better.

Film > art
>>
>>8841481
Film is art.
>>
>>8841493
Fucking autist.

Drawings, paintings etc.
>>
>>8841470
>She saw sexuality -- and gender -- as fluid.
>In a letter written around the same time as Three Guineas, Woolf not only acknowledges that gender-specific traits are socialized, but implies that gendered desires are often a source of violence. Such themes are explored thoroughly in her fiction, including her first novel, A Voyage Out, which mirrors her personal voyage from a more traditional upbringing to the intellectually stimulating Bloomsbury group she became a regular fixture of.
Not to mention Orlando.
>>
>>8841310
nice board
>>
>>8840762
The Awakening is one of the only books I've ever started and not bothered to finish.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.