[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Your plane crashes in the pacific somewhere and you are stranded

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 5

File: desert_island3.jpg (194KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
desert_island3.jpg
194KB, 1024x768px
Your plane crashes in the pacific somewhere and you are stranded on a remote tropical island. The island is big enough that it has a fresh water supply, but you are the only human inhabiting the island. Fortunately, you brought with you five books and you have successfully salvaged these books from the burning wreckage of your plane. These books are the key to you remaining sane during the duration of your stay on the island. What five books did you bring with you?

1. The Holy Bible
2. The Silmarillion
3. Plato's Republic
4. A History of Western Art
5. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
>>
>>7693436
Ulysses
Gravity's Rainbow
Infinite Jest
Finnegans Wake
The Ego and His Own
>>
>1. The Holy Bible

You could have stopped here
>>
Don Quixote
Aurelius' Meditations
Robinson Crusoe (kind of fits the theme)
A River Runs Through It
Gibbon's Decline and Fall (some omnibus volume or something that contains at least the first three volumes)
>>
>1. The Holy Bible
0/10 dropped back to >>>/reddit/
>>
>>7693436
>harry potter
lol
>>
>>7693436
* Holy Bible
* Brothers Karamazov
* Ficciones
* Solaris
* Infinite Jest
>>
Leaves of Grass
The Bible
Moby Dick
Mason & Dixon
Ovid's metamorphoses.
>>
File: feels goodman.jpg (16KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
feels goodman.jpg
16KB, 360x240px
>atlas
>book on plotting location and navigation
>book on primitive boat building
>two copies of the cheapest edition of war & peace (combined 2500 pages of firestarter ftw)

>mfw /out/
>>
Moby Dick (obviously, faggots)
Ulysses
Blood Meridian
my single volume Norton Shakespeare
my meme Bible

it sounds like the best way to live out the rest of my life to be straightforward cuz
>>
>>7693644
>my single volume Norton Shakespeare

That's cheating senpai
>>
Borges collected fictions
A giant collection of Chekhov short stories
Unabridged Don Quixote (both books)
Ovid's Metamorphosis
Flannery O'Connor's complete short stories.
>>
>>7693436
>>7693605
>>7693625
>>7693644
>"Hello Shark that's about to fucking murder my ass would you like to become a follower of Jesus?"

>>7693441
Your misread the question, It's books that are meant to help you retain your sanity not the other way around.
>>
File: Sales-Rank.jpg (52KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
Sales-Rank.jpg
52KB, 300x200px
>>7693714
>murder
>shark has intent
>mfw
>>
>>7693436
Remembrance of Things Past
The Histories
Don Quixote
Complete Shakespeare
an army survival guide omnibus

having been isolated for long periods of time, the more dense and long the better, the bible is a poor friend in trying times. plus, since i'd like to eat and survive, and possibly figure out how to save myself, the survival book seems the most necessary for my sanity and safety.
>>
>>7693743
"bite your fucking head off" didn't sound as appetizing.

I did fuck up though you're right...
>>
>>7693714

"Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
29 "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.
30 "And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
31 "So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."
--Matthew 10:28-31
>>
i'd take a copy of Hatchet, Journey to the West, The Gambler, Hyperion, and Scaramouche.
>>
>>7693436
1. The Ego And His Own
2. Finnegan's Wake
3. Zuleika Dobson
4. Thus Spoke Zarathustra
5. Complete Works (Rimbaud)
>>
>>7693714
I'm not a pleb so I need Finnegans Wake to retain my sanity on an island with no culture or civilization whatsoever.
>>
Complete Plato
Fear and Trembling
Metamorphosis + other stories (Crick)
Ecce Homo
The Study of Counterpoint

Hopefully I'll be able to fashion some sort of instrument
>>
>>7693683
Are you me?
>>
Vurt
On a winters night a traveler
The once and future king
dune
Journey to the end of night
>>
>>7694858
I think there's a good chance that you're were viewing your own post from the Aleph.
>>
1. The Holy Bible
2. Silverwing
3. The Complete Sherlock Holmes
4. Mattimeo
5. The Odyssey
>>
>>7693436
Double Indemnity
Dream Story
Breakfast at Tiffany's
The Old Man and the Sea
The Pearl
>>
>>7694858
But in all seriousness, what would your books be if any would be different from mine.
>>
ITT: cheaters trying to take an author's complete works with them
>>
>>7694897
So long as they're one book, who gives a shit?
>>
>>7694897
if those volumes exist then it ain't cheating.
>>
>>7694914
then i'll self-publish a collected works of the canons on lulu and take that with me.
>>
The Norton Shakespeare
Ulysses
Finnegans Wake
Leaves of Grass
Bible, KJV
>>
In Search of Lost Time
Ulysses
Norton Anthology of Poetry
Infinite Jest (so I can finally finish it)
Magic Mountain
>>
What is the point of having 1 and 4 if you are alone on an island?
>>
>>7694936
I doubt lulu would allow that.
>>
>>7693749
now leave
an admission of guilt is an admission that you dont belong
>>
>>7694936

That won't fit in your carry on you are disqualified from the flight therefore you can have all the books you want anyway.
>>
5 copies of moby dick to make abridged versions and use the scrap paper as tinder
>>
>>7694978
you're better off with the condensed version of the OED.
>>
I'd bring Ulysses; I might finally go mad enough to finally finish it
>>
Animorphs 1-5
>>
The Complete Works of James Joyce
The Complete Works of Shakespeare
The Holy Bible
The Works of John Steinbeck Complete and Unabridged
Complete Works of Leo Tolstoy
Basho's Narrow Road
>>
>>7693441
>>7693605
>>7694961
>seriously wasting a spot on infinite jest

>>7693714
chekov actually is a good call

>>7694876
this nigga be bored as fuck after a month

>>7694894
this nigga too, but at least he got better taste
>>
>>7693752
where the fuck is this guy buying two sparrows for a penny? i thought one for $3 was a good deal.
>>
>>7695308
kek
>>
1. Don Quixote
2. Infinite Jest
3. In Search of Lost Time
4. The Story of the Stone
5. War and Peace
>>
>>7693436
>Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
I grabbed a copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone at Yale University. It wasn't half bad but could've been better.
>>
The collected works of Sir Thomas Browne
Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
Moby-Dick by Herman Melville
Mason and Dixon by Thomas Pynchon
Underworld by Don DeLillo
>>
>>7695327
Any short stories collection I think would be better than a book of comparable quality.
>>
>>7694855
when u stuck on an island but u just wanna think about metaphysics
>>
>>7693436
I went to the Yale University bookstore and bought and read a copy of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." I suffered a great deal in the process. The writing was dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs." I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing.

But when I wrote that in a newspaper, I was denounced. I was told that children would now read only J.K. Rowling, and I was asked whether that wasn't, after all, better than reading nothing at all? If Rowling was what it took to make them pick up a book, wasn't that a good thing?

It is not. "Harry Potter" will not lead our children on to Kipling's "Just So Stories" or his "Jungle Book." It will not lead them to Thurber's "Thirteen Clocks" or Kenneth Grahame's "Wind in the Willows" or Lewis Carroll's "Alice."

Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Our society and our literature and our culture are being dumbed down, and the causes are very complex. I'm 73 years old. In a lifetime of teaching English, I've seen the study of literature debased. There's very little authentic study of the humanities remaining. My research assistant came to me two years ago saying she'd been in a seminar in which the teacher spent two hours saying that Walt Whitman was a racist. This isn't even good nonsense. It's insufferable.
>>
>>7693441
>The Ego And His Own
if you're by yourself you may as well make the best of it
>>
>>7695548
The Harry Potter series is great because the writing style and themes grow with the protagonists you shit chucking ape. Of course Sorcerers stone seems like prose for 12 year olds, it literally is. Read the 5th one which centers around living under political oppression, or the sixth one on duty and martyrdom.
>>
>>7695818
newfag spotted
>>
File: book.jpg (193KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
book.jpg
193KB, 480x360px
>>7693643
>firestarter
>not choosing a collected shakespeare
>not choosing pic related
>>
>>7695308
great answer
>>
>>7693436
Ready Player One
The Martian
Game of Thrones
Harry Potter
Mein Kampf
I'd use them to make a bonfire to signal a plane or ship passing by.
>>
>>7693436

50 shades of grey
the world as will and representation
hunger games: catching fire
finnegan wakes - ulysess
torah
>>
>>7693644
Is the Norton Complete Works good?
>>
1. SAS Survival Guide, Revised Edition
2. Romance of the Three Kingdoms
3. The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures
4. Lord of the Flies
5. John Dies at the End
>>
>>7695327
>the most significant novel of the past 40 years is a waste
>>
5 copies of infinite jest.

I then burn them and make a sincere prayer to Saint David for rescue.
>>
File: 1452470252028.jpg (174KB, 600x324px) Image search: [Google]
1452470252028.jpg
174KB, 600x324px
>>7695818
>>
>>7695424
>at Yale University
What was the purpose of this?
>>
>>7695328
Clearly you need a better sparrow guy.
>>
>>7695548
Painfully true even if it is an old meme. I will say though Harry Potter was good escapism if nothing else and I indulge genre that to this day.
>>
1. How to Practice by the Dalai Lama
2. Complete Shakespeare or just the sonnets
3. Odyssey
4. The Bible KJV
5. The Lord of the Rings (pls go haters)
>>
>>7696200
That is a fair assessment yes
>>
>>7694836
>bringing Rimbaud to an island
I mean, I could belive the other ones would just make you sad but you just want to justify your suicide now, don't you?
>>
The Martian Chronicles
The Selfish Gene
Redwall
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
Waking Up
>>
Complete Works of Montaigne
Complete Shorter Fiction of Tolstoy
Complete Works of Plato
Collected Works of Mishima
The Zhuangzhi
>>
>>7696391
Fuck, I actually kind of want to amend Redwall with The Wind in the Willows
>>
>>7695898
So bad
>>
>>7696391
sup reddit
>>
various books on survival, hunting, shelter building

seriously where are your priorities /lit/?
>>
>>7696426
You can probably make do with just the one book on that sort of thing. Given that it's such a basic set up, there must be a book out there on "How to survive on a pacific island somewhere with nothing but five books". What might come in handy would be a book on semaphore and other basic signalling methods.
>>
>>7693585
Not OP but why not? OP is not sure how he will be stranded? I've never read Harry Potter but nostalgia can be a beautiful thing.
>>
>>7695548
BASED Bloom
>>
>>7693441
>people answering seriously to this post
this guy just listed /lit/'s sacred meme list
>>
Don't judge but most likely five Murakami books; his surrealistic novels. An easy escape from reality from time to time will keep me sane for a bit while dealing with reality itself.
>>
>>7696457
It's also possible that he doesn't realize this is the sacred meme list, hasn't actually read any of them, and believes it may be a collection of the greatest works of literature of all time. People are naive. I can only personally tolerate two of those books.
>>
>>7696420
What about that is Reddit? The Dawkins book?
>>
>>7696500
I'm guessing "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" and that it includes mostly modern literature.

"The Selfish Gene" is the only Dawkins book I see on /lit/ that gets some respect. Reddit tends to worship him for his atheistic views so if the list was purposely saying I'm from reddit. it would have most likely included "The God Delusion" instead.
>>
>>7696538
Either way, both reddit and /lit/ or 4chan in general have hivemind mentalities in their respected categories.
>>
The bible
Ulysses
The republic
Paradise Lost
The mahābhārata
>>
King James Bible
SAS Survival Handbook
Growth of the Soil by Hamsun
Moby Dick by Melville
The Elementary Particles by Houellebecq to remind me that society is shit and I'm not missing out on much.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.