[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Philosophy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: gunsAndMoney-748946.jpg (61KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
gunsAndMoney-748946.jpg
61KB, 500x333px
Why should I believe the sun will rise tomorrow?
>>
>should
>believe
Nice spook faggot
>>
what
>>
>>7688271
whats a spook
>>
Because God is all-powerful.
>>
Because it has always before done it. (Empirism)
Because it's useful to think so. (Pragmatism)

Do you even philosophy dude
>>
Define "should"?
>>
>>7688304
wrong
>>
>>7688269
>Why should I believe the sun will rise tomorrow?

it is statistically very likely, based on previous data

earth is roughly 4.543 billion years old. the sun has risen on every single day. hence, 4.543 x 365. which equals 1658.195 billion days. hence, the chance that the sun does not rise tomorrow is 1/1658195000000
>>
>>7688306
Am I supposed to?
>>
>>7688316
So there's a chance it won't rise is what youre saying. So why shouldn't I believe it won't rise tomorrow?
>>
File: le scottish troll man.jpg (282KB, 816x970px) Image search: [Google]
le scottish troll man.jpg
282KB, 816x970px
It just works.
>>
Do whatever you want???
>>
>>7688322
Because there are 165819499999 more chances it will
>>
>>7688269
Dont.
>>
You shouldn't believe it.
>>
>>7688335
I won't
>>7688338
why?
>>
>>7688269
The sun doesnt rise at all. It's for the most part still. It's the earths spit that you should be wondering about.
>>
>>7688341
past futures and future futures.
>>
>>7688322
>So why shouldn't I believe it won't rise tomorrow?

you should consider it a possibility but also recognize that this is not a binary dilemma, as in that you should not believe in such simple terms as [sun will rise tomorrow with absolute certainty- vs - sun will not rise tomorrow with absolute certainty], because that is not the case
>>
The sun doesn't 'rise'.

The earth 'spins'.

Idiot.
>>
One would think before posting such a thing, you would at least first read Descartes, founder of modern philosophy.
>>
You actually don't care. You wouldn't function if you worried about all uncertainties of life, so you just ignore the question until there's a reason to consider it.
>>
>>7688575
Never said I didn't care, that doesn't answer the question
>>
>>7688269
you can beleive what ever you fucking like

but the consistent rising and falling of the sun day after day year after year century after century atleast lends some strength to the argument that it will rise tomorrow.
>>
>>7688779
And haven't said you do this time either. If you can't figure out how that answered your question, you need to find something else to occupy your mind.
>>
>>7688544
the sun also rises buddy.
>>
If the sun could speak, we could not understand it
>>
>>7688269
So that your boss doesn't get mad at you for not coming to work on account of the world possibly ending.
>>
Okay, /lit/, here is the scenario:

>the sun has fallen out of its orbit
>it will crashland into earth
>you are invited in one of the few save bunkers built for this ocasion
>due to limited space you only get to bring three books that you can read while you are in the bunker
Which books do you bring?

Keep in mind that you will stay in there for months.
>>
>>7689371
>sun collision proof bunker
>sun's orbit
>landing on earth
>etc
>mfw

That said, The World as Will and Representation, Parerga and Paralipomena by Schopenhauer and 'Schopenhauer' by Cartwright.
>>
>>7689371
I'd go full Melancholia and just embrace it.
>>
Because it's hard science, not philosophy. We can calculate right now exactly when the sun will "rise".
>>
What happens if a sun made of lava crashes into an equally large sun made of ice?
>>
>>7689384
That is the single most stupid question i've seen posted in the 8 years ive been visiting 4chan.
>>
>>7689395
>been here for 8 years
>never saw ye ol sun deathbattle question
I bet you think the upside down lion would win, fag.
>>
File: 12376123.png (120KB, 344x380px) Image search: [Google]
12376123.png
120KB, 344x380px
>>7689316
ayyyy
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.