[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Opinions?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: kick_ass_cover_500pxwide.jpg (250KB, 498x760px) Image search: [Google]
kick_ass_cover_500pxwide.jpg
250KB, 498x760px
Opinions?
>>
>>7682881
haven't read it

looks terrible tho senpai
>>
Looks like something a confused uncle would buy for their niece or nephew who... who likes to uh, write... right?
>>
>"look how hip i am!" title
>1001 ways = 10 common knowledge facts + 991 useless filler pieces

just go with "the art of fiction". much less gimmicky
>>
>>7682881
Don't read any of this shit. Even the things people actually recommend around here. It's all a waste of time. Just read authors you like and try to synthesize their styles into your own.
>>
I'm sure Pynchon, Nabokov and Fitzgerald all had their seminal breakthrough after reading a "1001 tips" self-help book.
>>
>>7683716
by who?
>>
>>7683730
Pinecone had plenty of seminal breakthroughs when he cucked random dudes in his social circles back in the 60s and 70s.
>>
>>7683716
Most all "how to write books," that I've read just say shit that should be second nature to you if you have any talent in the first place.

>Make believable, interesting characters.
>Make sure the dialog is good, and believable.
>Make sure you have a good plot.
>Don't spend the entire first chapter describing the setting the characters are in.
>Don't try to publish your rape fantasies.
>>
>>7684161
>>Don't try to publish your rape fantasies.
The caveat for this should be "unless it's on amazon because those things sell like hotcakes there."
>>
I read "On Writing" by Stephen King, Anne LaMott's "Bird by Bird", and this book called "How to Be Funny" back when I didn't know anything about writing. I feel like they each helped a little.
>>
>>7684183
On Writing helped a little for me. I felt like most of it was common sense, but he gave a good tip here and there.

Also, King even admits that he himself breaks his own rules all the time, like most all writers do. At some point, the rules just don't fucking matter and you just do whatever you feel like doing.
>>
>>7684132
john gardner

>>7684161
some of it's self evident, but it's an easy read with good examples that isn't too full of fluff or have an excessive sense of self-importance, and it's worth seeing some stuff explained that wouldn't necessarily come immediately to mind.
>>
>>7682881
Here's the guy who wrote it.
>>
File: Wendig1-575x394.png (269KB, 575x394px) Image search: [Google]
Wendig1-575x394.png
269KB, 575x394px
>>7684413
what a joke
>>
>>7682881

Literally who
>>
>>7684413
Why does he keep trying to show us his weird, bald head?
>>
>>7685452
>>7684413
>>7682881
no
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.