[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who are considered the "great" American writers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

> David Foster Wallace
> Herman Melville
> Philip Roth
> Richard Yates
> Jonathan Franzen
> Mark Twain

I dunno. Those are basically just suggestions. Some really big names, though, even if some are...faded people. What do you think about the names I've mentioned? Who do you think should be considered the "great" American writers?
>>
>>7679512
>No skirt
5/10 only looked once
>>
Me
>>
>>7679512
Faulkner
>>
File: feelcafe.jpg (10KB, 400x449px) Image search: [Google]
feelcafe.jpg
10KB, 400x449px
>you will never be one of those flats
>>
>>7679512
Pound, Pynchon, James, Hawkes, McElroy, Gaddis, Barthelme, Vollman, Burroughs, Orlovitz, and my personal favorite, William Gass.
>>
>>7679512
>>7679528
>>7679545
>lusting over prole girls
Get it together, guys.
>>
How could you forget Pynchon?
>>
i love yates so much.
>>
add philip k. dick
>>
File: dumbfrog.jpg (28KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
dumbfrog.jpg
28KB, 800x800px
>>7679557
>you will never hone your soul through a lifetime of rigid intellectual askesis, individuating your nous to the point of sensing the ideal at all times yet remaining personalized, and make periodic descents from the mountaintop of enlightenment-in-the-world to indulge in weird fetish shit that people write about after you're dead with prole girls
>you will never reach inside the slumbering but still weighty and primeval dionysiac womansoul in wild debauches that ultimately occupy the half your wikipedia page which isn't concerned with your brilliant insights and contributions to philosophy
>you will never lick parts of a girl that people find surprising because you're famous for writing books and stuff
>>
>>7679512
Franzen's literal momcore. Though in general no one cares about the idea of the "great American novel/novelist" other than pleb fucks and pseuds. I'd say John Hawkes is the best American writer, but that's just me.
>>
>>7679512
Cormac
>>
>>7679512
T.S. Eliot
>>
>>7679512
BEE
>>
>>7679576
Protip: if you're rich, smart and in a good fraternity/society at a top university, you will have mind blowing orgies and be sick of it by the time you turn 23.
>>
>>7679555
I know exactly which poster you are.
>>
>>7679608
He's the guy who keeps spamming The Tunnel, isn't he?
>>
>>7679616
No, that's my brother.
>>
>>7679578
I don't know. Hawkes' ideas are definitely some of if not the best America has to offer, but his just doesn't hold up to Gass'.
>>
>>7679625
*his prose
>>
>>7679608
>>7679616
You caught me. To be, if it's still acceptable here, sincere for a moment, I just really like Gass, and shilling him is my way of making sure he doesn't fade away like Orlovitz.
>>
File: emory douglass.jpg (347KB, 945x1481px) Image search: [Google]
emory douglass.jpg
347KB, 945x1481px
>>7679512
seriously mate i wouldn't bother. american lit is universally shite. new sincerity is the most retarded thing i have ever heard of. face it burgeranons your country will never produce good literature, your history is dull and uninteresting, your culture is gaudy and crass, you are a bunch of squawking cretins.
>>
>>7679685

>as if any country other than America actually matters...

very good meme, anon.
>>
>>7679578
bless u
>>
>>7679685
t. someone who hasn't read Gaddis, Hawkes, or any actually good American authors.
>>
>>7679697
>as if america matters
>>
>>7679741

>pretending it doesn't.
>>
Henry fucking james
>>
>>7679825
This.
>>
>>7679741
>the most powerful country in the world for the last 75 years doesn't matter
wew lad
>>
>>7679512
>David Foster Wallace
>Herman Melville
Well memed.
>>
File: oates_1-040909.jpg (184KB, 630x786px) Image search: [Google]
oates_1-040909.jpg
184KB, 630x786px
>/lit/ fags never mentioning Flannery O'Connor
>>
>>7679555
>>7679639
I appreciate your memeing the Gass because you actually convinced me to buy The Tunnel and read it. (I made that autographed Tunnel thread) I'm only about 100 pages in, but this is definitely the best thing I've read on /lit/'s recommendation
>>
>>7679939
I'm happy that you enjoy it. I recommend reading some supplementary material, and listening to some interviews with Gass on YouTube: it really makes you appreciate how much depth it has.
>>
>>7679969
What would you recommend for supplementary material?
>>
>>7680077
Into The Tunnel: Readings of Gass's Novel
I also recommend listening to this interview with Gass, as he explains many aspects of the work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClBFUysyIro
>>
>>7679512
Antebellum:
>Nathaniel Hawthorn
>Herman Melville
>Jack London
>Edgar Allan Poe
>James Fenimore Cooper
>Harriet Beecher Stowe (kind of pleby, but historically important)

Reconstruction Era & Late 19th Century:
>Mark Twain
>Walt Whitman
>Where's Waldo Emerson
>Emily Dickinson
>Thoreau

Modernists & Contemporaries:
>Henry James
>Ezra Pound
>Robert Frost
>T.S. Eliot
>Tennessee Williams
>Fitzgerald
>John Steinbeck
>Gerty Stein
>Ernest Hemingway
>William "corny-cob" Faulkner

Postwar:
>Vladimir Nabokov
>William S. Burroughs
>Frank O'Hara
>Sylvia Plath
>Flannery O'Connor
>Saul Bellow
>Herman Wouk (still alive)
>Pinecone (still alive)
>Will I Am Gaddis
>William Gass (still alive)
>Joseph McElroy (still alive)
>James Baldwin
>Arthur Miller
>Henry Miller
>John Hawkes
>Ralph Ellison
>Phillip Roth (still alive)
>J.D. Salinger
>Joseph Heller
>Langston Hughes
>Don Delillo (still alive)
>Cormac McCarthy (still alive)
>Toni Morisson (still alive)
>DFW
>John Ashbery (still alive)

Franzen is pleb trash. http://exiledonline.com/jonathan-franzen-will-rim-bobos-for-book-of-the-month-fame/
>>
>>7679512

Twain
Hemingway
Bukowski
Vonnegut
Kerouac

only american authors that I've read (so far) and liked
>>
>>7680389
Informed poster detected. Thank you for providing such an excellent response.
>>
>>7680625
Shh. You're not helping.
>>
>>7679871
Muh waifu. <3
>>
>>7679605
Yea but what about all those other things?
>>
>>7680389
Somewhat based anon, top 5 contemporary/published in the last 5 years american authors?
>>
>>7679576
Fuck off
>>
>>7679512
>Jonathan Franzen
Fucking no.
>>
>>7680389
This is a bad review.
Good list, though.
>>
>>7680389
woah! GOAT reply
>>
Tao Lin, of course. Not even meming.
>>
Franzen and DFW really don't belong on the list.

You lack Pynchon, Gaddis, and someone usually not included is Ken Kesey, but his work will get rediscovered soon and he'll be high up there.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.