[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where to start with Kenzaburo Oe?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (24KB, 749x499px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 749x499px
Where to start with Kenzaburo Oe?
>>
you could start with "rouse up" to understand his influences but anywhere is fine. he's not difficult.
>>
>>7673254
Start with the Greeks
>>
A Personal Matter. It is one of my favorite novels.
>>
>>7673307
I agree with this anon. It's a very nice novel. It has some powerful themes especially if you're a parent.
>>
SLAUGHTER HER AND FUCK THE CORPSE
>>
>>7673307
I prefer The Silent Cry, but A Personal Matter would be as good as place to start as any, as it tells the story of the birth of his son, who is a recurring figure in his oeuvre.

Does anyone have any recommendations for someone who enjoys Oe, particularly up to and including the Silent Cry? No, doesn't have to be a Japanese writer.
>>
>>7673254
Paint your face red & shove a cucumber up your arse.
>>
>>7673265
is it possible to enjoy even if I've never read William Blake?
>>
>>7674423
no it's impossible. everyone who has read him without having read blake is a liar.
>>
Go back and pick up some works by Mishima to be honest family.
>>
>>7674442
Mishima is super good. I'd personally rate him higher than Kenzaburo, but they are quite different. I also recommend Jun'ichirō Tanizaki. It was relieving to find some Japanese authors other than Mishima that were worth reading. I got really sick of the endless 'oh you like Mishima have you read Norwegian Wood?'s.
>>
>>7674464
Tanizaki is GOAT, have you read "Seven Japanese Tales"?
>>
>>7674464
My favourite Japanese writer is Yasunari Kawabata, The House of the Sleeping Beauties, Thousand Cranes and even his works from youth like The Dancing Girl of Izu
>>
>>7674473
No, so far only Some Prefer Nettles & his incredible essay on aesthetics In Praise of Shadows (which you should go and read NOWz). I'm buried in The Part About The Crimes 2666, but I'll add Seven Japanese Tales to the queue!
>>
>>7674485
>Yasunari Kawabata
Ah, yes I need to check him out. I've heard it claimed that his death was in part a contributing factor in Mishima's affiliating himself to the Right & ultimately his suicide, as Kawabata was one of the few author he respected. He'd acted as a mentor & restraining influence & with his death, Mishima was left prey to the Right who would only encourage his self destructive urges.
>>
>>7674504
scratch that - got my memories garbled - it was actually Mishima who died first; Yasunari Kawabata was one of the last restraining influences (obviously not restraining enough).
>>
>>7674504
Ah, he's The Master of Go author! I have two unread copies of this lying around - I like Go & people keep buying it for me... Maybe I'll actually get around to reading it after I'm done with all the dead Mexican girls.
>>
Has anyone read any Ryūnosuke Akutagawa? Is he any good? His wiki describes him as "Father of the Japanese short story".
>>
http://neojaponisme.com/2008/04/11/kawabata-mishima-the-nobel-prize/
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.